Plagiarism

Jay Furr

Aug 13, 2021, 9:11:01 PMAug 13
I know that alt.folklore.urban is essentially dead, but that said, is anyone out there?

I got emails today from the staff at snopes.com informing me that snopes himself has gotten in major hot water for plagiarizing lots and lots of news stories and not giving credit, and that he's been suspended from all creative access to the site.

I'm surprised and disappointed. I was wondering if others had any more profound or interesting reactions.

Mark Shaw

Aug 13, 2021, 11:55:03 PMAug 13
Jay Furr <jf...@furrs.org> wrote:

[reformatted for linefeeds]

> I know that alt.folklore.urban is essentially dead, but that said,
> is anyone out there?

Yep, a few of us.

> I got emails today from the staff at snopes.com informing me that
> snopes himself has gotten in major hot water for plagiarizing lots
> and lots of news stories and not giving credit, and that he's been
> suspended from all creative access to the site.

> I'm surprised and disappointed. I was wondering if others had any
> more profound or interesting reactions.

It's been in the news. I'm also a bit surprised, but it is what it
is.

The downside is that, despite the (somewhat deserved) popular
perception of bias on the part of snopes.com, they've been pretty
well consistently a gold-plated source for details one can cite to
combat {d|m}isinformation. This event will damage their credibility
in the eyes of many. This is a pretty bad thing, in that it will
introduce even more friction in the machinery of internet discourse.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks

Don Freeman

Aug 16, 2021, 2:00:02 AMAug 16
There's a few of use lurking around, mostly just filtering out all the
bullshit postings but responding when one of the actual members speak out.
I heard about the problem with snopes, and hope it doesn't destroy their
credibility, we need more combatants against disinformation, not less.

The Real Bev

Aug 16, 2021, 4:18:54 PMAug 16
It always bothered me that they were consistently and considerably less
vigorous in their condemnation of liberal "missing-context" items than
in conservative "pants-on-fire" items.

--
Cheers, Bev
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's

Michael Trew

Aug 20, 2021, 6:24:38 PMAug 20
On 8/16/2021 4:18 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 08/15/2021 11:00 PM, Don Freeman wrote:
>> On 8/13/2021 7:10 PM, Jay Furr wrote:
>>> I know that alt.folklore.urban is essentially dead, but that said, is
>>> anyone out there?
>>>
>>> I got emails today from the staff at snopes.com informing me that
>>> snopes himself has gotten in major hot water for plagiarizing lots
>>> and lots of news stories and not giving credit, and that he's been
>>> suspended from all creative access to the site.
>>>
>>> I'm surprised and disappointed. I was wondering if others had any
>>> more profound or interesting reactions.
>>>
>> There's a few of use lurking around, mostly just filtering out all the
>> bullshit postings but responding when one of the actual members speak
>> out.
>> I heard about the problem with snopes, and hope it doesn't destroy their
>> credibility, we need more combatants against disinformation, not less.
>
> It always bothered me that they were consistently and considerably less
> vigorous in their condemnation of liberal "missing-context" items than
> in conservative "pants-on-fire" items.

I agree. It seems that everything has a political lean now.

Lafe

Aug 21, 2021, 12:42:39 AMAug 21
I'm here, and I'm even new. I used to lurk here long ago, and decided to
see how NNTP was doing again.

I'm afraid I don't have anything else to offer as far as a reaction to
the news.

Lafe

Lee Rudolph

Aug 21, 2021, 8:30:42 AMAug 21
On Friday, August 13, 2021 at 9:11:01 PM UTC-4, Jay Furr wrote:
> I know that alt.folklore.urban is essentially dead, but that said, is anyone out there?

I'm out here. I may or may not be essentially dead. And I too would be interested in profound or interesting reactions...

Lee "NMI" Rudolph

Drew Lawson

Aug 21, 2021, 12:18:17 PMAug 21
In article <slrnsi111...@lafelet.lafes.net>
Lafe <la...@lafes.newlafe.net> writes:
>On 2021-08-14, Jay Furr <jf...@furrs.org> wrote:
>> I know that alt.folklore.urban is essentially dead, but that said, is
>> anyone out there?
>>
>> I got emails today from the staff at snopes.com informing me that
>> snopes himself has gotten in major hot water for plagiarizing lots and
>> lots of news stories and not giving credit, and that he's been
>> suspended from all creative access to the site.
>>
>> I'm surprised and disappointed. I was wondering if others had any
>> more profound or interesting reactions.
>
>I'm here, and I'm even new. I used to lurk here long ago, and decided to
>see how NNTP was doing again.

NNTP is going gangbusters these days.

Unfortunately, and appropriate to this thread, that is mostly
copyright violations in alt.binaries.*.

--
|Drew Lawson | Mrs. Tweedy! |
| | The chickens are revolting! |