From "Friends" - Whizz on a jellyfish sting?

Mike Woloch

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

Andrew Gore wrote:

> I enjoyed tonight's season premiere of "Friends". An important plot point was
> that Monica and the boys went for a walk on the beach. Monica collapsed in
> pain; seems she was stung by a jellyfish, and was in great pain. The boys had
> seen a nature program recently that said the way to kill the pain was to apply
> human urine to the sting. It apparently worked, tho the boys were

<snip>

There is an over-the-counter product called "After-Bite", used to
ease the pain of insect bites and stings. It's main ingredient is
in fact ammonia (but also includes mink oil), and on the episode they
cited that human urine contains ammonia.

And it works too. The "After-Bite", that is.

-Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------Michael Woloch, Electrical/Mechanical Division
Acres International Limited
E-mail: mwo...@nf.acres.com

Paraic O'Donnell

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

On 26 Sep 1997 01:41:01 -0700, dice@primenetDOTcom (Andrew Gore)
wrote:

>Pulled out Mr Johnson and got to work. "Hey, watch it, stupid, I was stung on
>my ankle, not my nose!... Hey, uh, listen, are you... busy Saturday night?"

Would it surprise you to learn that many people would think twice
before revealing the urge to urinate on a celebrity's face in a
newsgroup outside the alt.sex hierarchy?

Paraic "" O'Donnell

Kim

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

>>But I want to know, is this remedy for jellyfish stings true, or is it a UL
>>cooked up for the show?

Well, I'd heard it for years among my scuba diving friends and acquaintences.
Never used it. There are LOTS of kinds of jellyfish, so the effect
probably depends on exactly what kind got you.

-- Kim

Bo Bradham

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

Andrew Gore <dice@primenetDOTcom> wrote:

>I enjoyed tonight's season premiere of "Friends". An important plot point was
>that Monica and the boys went for a walk on the beach. Monica collapsed in
>pain; seems she was stung by a jellyfish, and was in great pain. The boys had
>seen a nature program recently that said the way to kill the pain was to apply
>human urine to the sting. It apparently worked, ...
>
> [puerile pondering punted to preserve propriety]

>But I want to know, is this remedy for jellyfish stings true, or is it a UL
>cooked up for the show?

You seem to be overlooking the possibility that it is an old UL,
not one 'cooked up for the show.'

I have heard about it for years, never had occasion to try it.

I did some web searching to check on how true it is and got mixed
results. A few pages which purported to offer "medical advice"
recommended it. A couple of them only recommended it when nothing
else like vinegar or ammonia are available.

I found a couple of pages which said it doesn't work (it only seems to
work because the pain subsides with time anyway) but doesn't do any
harm. One of the pages which advises it says that male urine is
preferable to female urine (because women are prone to UTI infections,
but men's urine is considered prety much sterile).

One page said that urine causes some Austalian variety of jellyfish to
release more <mumble> so you shouldn't do it.

I peeked into medline but didn't find much (1 item which said it
had limited positive effect) but there are people who are better
at Medline searches than I am.

So to summarize what I found:
- It's an old bit of folk-medicine. I heard about it many years ago
(>20). I grew up near a beach where jellyfish are a problem
during certain times of the year.

- It may or may not actually be effective.

- It made for a mildly amusing subplot on "Friends."

Bo "I'm going to take a shower" Bradham
--
"If it's their mistake, tough. If it's our mistake we negotiate."
- Overheard

Mark Shaw

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

In article <dice.1608.013CFC67@primenetDOTcom>, dice@primenetDOTcom (Andrew Gore) writes:

> I enjoyed tonight's season premiere of "Friends". An important plot point was
>that Monica and the boys went for a walk on the beach. Monica collapsed in
>pain; seems she was stung by a jellyfish, and was in great pain. The boys had
>seen a nature program recently that said the way to kill the pain was to apply
>human urine to the sting. It apparently worked, tho the boys were rather

[...]

>But I want to know, is this remedy for jellyfish stings true, or is it a UL
>cooked up for the show?

Dunno about urine, but when I was in my teens I worked at at summer
camp on the North Carolinian outer banks -- where the jellyfish are
almost as thick as the horseflies. We kept a gallon bottle of vin-
egar on the dock for the stings. Worked great.

--
Mark Shaw remove any mythical beasts from my address to email me
-^v------^v------^v------^v------^v------^v------^v-------------------

Andrew Gore

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

I enjoyed tonight's season premiere of "Friends". An important plot point was
that Monica and the boys went for a walk on the beach. Monica collapsed in
pain; seems she was stung by a jellyfish, and was in great pain. The boys had
seen a nature program recently that said the way to kill the pain was to apply
human urine to the sting. It apparently worked, tho the boys were rather

bummed about it. They didn't want to talk about it at first, then revealed the
unpleasant tale. Monica tried peeing on her own ankle, but the pain was such
she couldn't bend her knee enough to hit the target. So one of the boys
volunteered, and whipped his out. Unfortunately, he developed stage fright,
and couldn't perform. So the other guy was pressed into service, and managed
to baptize Monica, but it got pretty messy and they were rather disgusted. I
don't know; it sounds kinda kinky to me. Too bad it took place off-camera.
Wish I was there, I would have gladly come to her aid, with great gusto.

Pulled out Mr Johnson and got to work. "Hey, watch it, stupid, I was stung on
my ankle, not my nose!... Hey, uh, listen, are you... busy Saturday night?"

But I want to know, is this remedy for jellyfish stings true, or is it a UL
cooked up for the show?

- Andrew "Whizz kid" Gore

---------------------------------------
Check out my ultimate Las Vegas and gambling web site!! >>> http://www.primenet.com/~dice/

Tae H Kim

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

Nematocysts - or nemacysts, are the problem. These 'stinging cells'
usually consist of a hard shell in the shape of a 'comma' - the 'tail'
functioning like a hypodermic needle. A toxin-sac within the shell will
inject toxins - and may be triggered by a variety of stimuli. Removal of
the nematocysts from the surface of the skin is problematic, since its
surface is rough and craggy - and not recommended until it's toxins are
neutralized, since movement may be one of the things that triggers
further injection.

I've heard of urinating on the sting-site - as it contains ammonia -
which *does* work on certain types of nematocysts. However, I'm skeptical
of it working to any great degree as the amount of ammonia in normal
urine is quite low.

Ammonia, vinegar, baking soda, meat-tenderizer, are often used as a
first-aid measure - by either inactivating the toxin, or breaking down
the hard outer shell.

There have been reports, as Bo pointed out earlier in this thread, that
some of these treatments may cause the nematocysts to fire and inject
*more* toxin.

Conventional treatment, it seems, involves identification of the
particular type of nematocyst, localized treatment with the appropriate
topical - ammonia, vinegar, etc., followed by treatment of any systemic
reactions - cardiac, respiratory, kidney, anaphylaxis - with the
appropriate antivenin and other drugs. Recent abstracts point to a
possible link to calcium uptake and the injection of toxin, so
calcium-channel blockers - such as Verapamil and Cardizem are cautiously
recommended.

Sorry this post is so disjointed, can't seem to clear my head today ...

- Tae

Michael Melcher

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

Tae H Kim wrote:

> I've heard of urinating on the sting-site - as it contains ammonia -
> which *does* work on certain types of nematocysts. However, I'm skeptical
> of it working to any great degree as the amount of ammonia in normal
> urine is quite low.

Way back when my friends and I spent many hours on remote beaches and
enjoyed the stings of many different jellyfish. Given our youthful,
"anything to help a friend" attitude of the time, it's probably a good
thing we didn't know about the urine solution.

Mike "Hold still, this is for your own good" Melcher

Jim Everman

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

Andrew Gore wrote:
>. . . seems she was stung by a jellyfish, and was in great pain. The boys had

> seen a nature program recently that said the way to kill the pain was to apply
> human urine to the sting.

I never heard that one, but I remember hearing the urine would
dissolve sea urchin spines. It's suppose to be the best way to
remove them, since they are quite brittle and apt to shatter if
you just try to pull them out, or do nothing and try to move.
I believe Flemming worked it into one of the James Bond books
(I don't recall which one). James and a friend (female of course)
are SCUBA diving and she steps on an urchin. He removes it, but
the book gives no detail about how other that the friend commenting
about what a strange treatment it was.

--
Jim Everman eve...@Anet-STL.com

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by
stupidity.

Momohunter

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

ive read about this years ago as a remedy another thing that works as well
is strong alcohol

Bruce Tindall

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

Tae H Kim <tk...@lynx.dac.neu.edu> wrote:
>I've heard of urinating on the sting-site - as it contains ammonia -
>which *does* work on certain types of nematocysts.

(Hmm -- this is a dangerous subject for me, of all people, to address,
but I don't see Terry or Phil watching, so here goes.)

Non-rhetorical question here: Doesn't fresh urine contain ammonium,
rather than ammonia; to get ammonia don't you have to let it age
like a fine Australian wine for a couple of days?

And, in any case, does it matter, or does ammonium have similar
useful properties?

ObFolkRemedyForJellyfish: Adolph's Meat Tenderizer (papain).
--
Bruce Tindall tin...@panix.com

Dave Wilton

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:47:40 -0500, Jim Everman <eve...@anet-stl.com>
wrote:

> I believe Flemming worked it into one of the James Bond books
> (I don't recall which one). James and a friend (female of course)
> are SCUBA diving and she steps on an urchin. He removes it, but
> the book gives no detail about how other that the friend commenting
> about what a strange treatment it was.

In the movie "Thunderball," Sean Connery removes the sea urchin spines
from Danielle Bianchi (sp?) with this teeth, commenting "I've never
tasted woman before. They're quite good." This last is either an
ObCannabalismTieIn, or proof that Bond was not the lover everyone
thought he was.

Dave Wilton
dwi...@sprynet.com
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/dwilton/

Tae H Kim

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

Bruce Tindall (tin...@panix.com) wrote:

: Tae H Kim <tk...@lynx.dac.neu.edu> wrote:
: >I've heard of urinating on the sting-site - as it contains ammonia -
: >which *does* work on certain types of nematocysts.

: (Hmm -- this is a dangerous subject for me, of all people, to address,
: but I don't see Terry or Phil watching, so here goes.)

: Non-rhetorical question here: Doesn't fresh urine contain ammonium,
: rather than ammonia; to get ammonia don't you have to let it age
: like a fine Australian wine for a couple of days?

I don't know the answer to your question - as a matter of fact, I'm not
sure that there *is* ammonia in urine. If I recall correctly, ammonia
circulating in the bloodstream is converted into urea in the liver -
which is then excreted from the kidneys.

I'm a little foggy on the whole urine thing, I must say. I have no access
to my texts, as I just moved, and have had more than my share of Black
and Tans for the evening, which doesn't help. It doesn't hurt, either.

Really.

I'm feeling absolutely nothing, right now.

Right now, all I can recall about urine is that it's good when it doesn't
hurt to pee, and bad when it does.

Speaking of which - be right back.

: And, in any case, does it matter, or does ammonium have similar
: useful properties?

<ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh>

That would depend on the mechanism of action of ammonia on either the
toxin or the nematocyst cell. Acid/base, toxin antagonist, or outer shell
lysing action - someone with toxicology knowledge would be better
qualified to answer.

: ObFolkRemedyForJellyfish: Adolph's Meat Tenderizer (papain).

ObHillStreetBluesPseudoConnection: Vic Hitler - Narcoleptic Comic.

- Tae

Rick Tyler

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997 02:26:05 GMT, dwi...@sprynet.com (Dave Wilton)
wrote:

:On Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:47:40 -0500, Jim Everman <eve...@anet-stl.com>

:
He's certainly no Marv Albert.

-- Rick "Rimshot" Tyler

The Microsoft motto is, "Quality is Job 1.1."

Visit the FAQ and TAFKAC at www.urbanlegends.com.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

Bruce Tindall wrote:

> Non-rhetorical question here: Doesn't fresh urine contain ammonium,
> rather than ammonia; to get ammonia don't you have to let it age
> like a fine Australian wine for a couple of days?

Outside my area of expertise also, but I seem to remember from about
30 years ago that if you didn't get the wet diaper off the kid within
about two hours there was plenty of ammonia. For an all-night soaker
you needed a gas mask.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

"...and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes
to pieces wi' hammers like sae mony road-makers run daft -- They say
it is to see how the warld was made!"

Andrew Gore

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

In article <342bbc10...@news.ieunet.ie> par...@antispam.indigo.ie (Paraic O'Donnell) writes:
>From: par...@antispam.indigo.ie (Paraic O'Donnell)
>Subject: Re: From "Friends" - Whizz on a jellyfish sting?
>Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:46:52 GMT

>Would it surprise you to learn that many people would think twice
>before revealing the urge to urinate on a celebrity's face in a
>newsgroup outside the alt.sex hierarchy?

OK, Let's see... Hmmm, today on this newsfroup, I read about: Jokes about
people drinking human urine; graphic descriptions of tapeworms snaking their
way out of people's mouths and anuses, corpses filling with gas exploding at
the funeral; a kid with ringworms so bad it was hanging out of his mouth and
nose like sphagetti; razor blades hidden by sickos on Halloween treats,
spiders hatching out of a woman's face, people getting shocked by urinating on
electric fences; people eating placenta afterbirth; people finding out they've
been using a toothbrush that was stuck up some stranger's butt; soda causing
penises to shrink; and a woman contracting herpes after eating take-out food
that a half-dozen men had masturbated into.

And you expect me to worry about the tastefullness of a joke about a harmless
sexual fantasy involving a sexy celebrity??

- Andrew "Lighten up, limey!" Gore, Manchester, UK

Ben Walsh

Sep 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/29/97

Tae H Kim wrote:
> I don't know the answer to your question - as a matter of fact, I'm not
> sure that there *is* ammonia in urine. If I recall correctly, ammonia
> circulating in the bloodstream is converted into urea in the liver -
> which is then excreted from the kidneys.

My memory of chemistry is that ammonia (NH3) is a gas at normal
temperatures and pressures and is *extremely* soluble in water. Not
having any experience of biology, I can only speculate that it's more
likely that urine, consisting as it does mostly of water, contains
ammonium ions (NH4+).

ben "ask Dr. Stupid" w.

My god died young. Theolatry I found | ben walsh
demeaning, and its premises unsound. | be...@iona.com
-- VN, "Pale Fire" | http://bounce.to/heretic

Paraic O'Donnell

Sep 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/29/97

On 28 Sep 1997 12:44:00 -0700, dice@primenetDOTcom (Andrew Gore)
wrote:

I asked:

>>Would it surprise you to learn that many people would think twice
>>before revealing the urge to urinate on a celebrity's face in a
>>newsgroup outside the alt.sex hierarchy?

[You devised a devastating comeback in the form of an exhaustive list
of all recent posts to afu involving bodily functions and orifices,
which I believe was intended to constitute some kind of justification,
but succeeded only in giving the impression that your preoccupations
tend toward the puerile.]

> And you expect me to worry about the tastefullness of a joke about a harmless
>sexual fantasy involving a sexy celebrity??

As you might have gathered, I don't think your defence holds water.
Yes, ULs with a high yuck-factor are sometimes discussed here. No,
that doesn't mean that it's the appropriate forum for you to unburden
yourself of your desire to piss on Courtney Cox.

And no, I don't expect you to worry. If you were possessed of that
degree of self-consciousness, you wouldn't have said what you did in
the first place, and you're hardly likely to sprout the faculty
overnight.

> - Andrew "Lighten up, limey!" Gore, Manchester, UK

Paraic "I'm not a Limey - I'm a Mick" O'Donnell

Andrew Gore

Sep 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/29/97

DON'T READ THIS, PARAIC!! May offend virgin ears.

In article <3430121f...@news.sprynet.com> dwi...@sprynet.com (Dave
Wilton) writes:>From: dwi...@sprynet.com (Dave Wilton)

>Subject: Re: From "Friends" - Whizz on a jellyfish sting?

>Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 02:26:05 GMT

>In the movie "Thunderball," Sean Connery removes the sea urchin spines
>from Danielle Bianchi (sp?) with this teeth, commenting "I've never
>tasted woman before. They're quite good." This last is either an
>ObCannabalismTieIn, or proof that Bond was not the lover everyone
>thought he was.

My favorite James Bond film is "You Only Live Twice". Bond's first line in
the film, as he's rolling around in a Hong Kong bed with a Chinese girl, is
"Why do Chinese girls taste different from other girls?" She says,"You tink we
taste betta?" "No, not better, just... different".

Bo Bradham

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

Leo G Simonetta <le...@hopper.unh.edu> wrote:
>When they mentioned this treatment on "Friends" I said to
>myself: "Self, did they mention this in the PADI Rescue
>Diver Course? Because I know I have heard it before."
>
>[looked thru the course material ...]
>There is no mention of Urine or ammonia as a treatment for jellyfish
>stings.

Then it's more of a non-cite, eh?

>It also notes that the nematocytes (stinging cells) of most dangerous
>types of jellyfish are rendered inactive when they are flushed with
>common household vinegar.

As I said in my earlier post I found some sources which advise,
with a straight face, the use of urine when nothing else is
available. Here's an example:

http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/MedicalAdvice/JellyFish.html

MEDICAL ADVICE

Skin Injuries from Marine Life

Jellyfish & Portuguese man-of-war Stings

[blah blah blah symptoms, jellyfish morphology, etc.]

Treatment of Skin injuries from Jellyfish & Portuguese man-of-war.
1. First remove any adherent tentacles that will cause further
delivery of venom. The tentacles should be lifted off the skin
[yadda yadda]

2. Next, rinse the affected area with sea water to wash away any

3. Nematocysts are inactivated by vinegar (or dilute acetic acid
5-10%). NOTE: If no vinegar is handy, then human urine will do in
a pinch. If you have a choice in the matter, use a man's urine
rather than a woman's urine. ...

As I said in my other post it's only recommended when other more
suitable things are unavailable.

Bo "that's why no one suffers from
jellyfish stings in kiddie pools" Bradham

Leo G Simonetta

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

When they mentioned this treatment on "Friends" I said to
myself: "Self, did they mention this in the PADI Rescue
Diver Course? Because I know I have heard it before."

Since I just moved it took me a while to get up the conviction
necessary to check out the text (digging through all the
necessary boxes to find PADI (R) Rescue Diver Manual, Revised Edition
Brylske, Alex and Richardson, Drew Eds. 1987 Santa Anna CA, PADI.

There is no mention of Urine or ammonia as a treatment for jellyfish

stings. The correct treatment according to PADI involved removal of
foreign objects using source water irrigation then soaking the
affected area in hot water (110 to 120 degree) for at least 30 to
90 minutes to neutralize the venom.

It also notes that the nematocytes (stinging cells) of most dangerous
types of jellyfish are rendered inactive when they are flushed with
common household vinegar.

--
Leo (Certified) Simonetta My Opinions! MINE. All Mine!
Director, UNH Survey Center

Paraic O'Donnell

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

On 29 Sep 1997 23:03:00 -0700, dice@primenetDOTcom (Andrew Gore)
wrote:

> DON'T READ THIS, PARAIC!! May offend virgin ears.

Oh, well done, Andrew. The last time I heard a retort this childish, I
owned a Star Wars lunchbox.

Let's recap for the benefit of the viewers at home. In the post that
instigated this thread you wrote:

>[I]t sounds kinda kinky to me. Too bad it took place off-camera.

>Wish I was there, I would have gladly come to her aid, with great gusto.
>Pulled out Mr Johnson and got to work. "Hey, watch it, stupid, I was stung on
>my ankle, not my nose!... Hey, uh, listen, are you... busy Saturday night?"

At the time, it was clear that you considered this quite the funniest
thing since cancer. I thought it callow and shabby, not to mention
off-charter, but managed nonetheless to exercise restraint in my
response:

>Would it surprise you to learn that many people would think twice
>before revealing the urge to urinate on a celebrity's face in a
>newsgroup outside the alt.sex hierarchy?

Plain enough words, I'd have thought, but you contrived to
misunderstand them. You supplied an alarmingly exhaustive namecheck of
every afu thread in recent months to feature references to the human
digestive and reproductive systems, before delivering your coup:

>And you expect me to worry about the tastefullness of a joke about a harmless
>sexual fantasy involving a sexy celebrity??

Again, I tried to make it clear that the problem was not what you
posted, but where you posted it (the fact that the innuendo was
largely wit-free didn't help either, but there are some things money
just can't buy).

By now it has become apparent that you consider your adult-content
posts daring and sophisticated, and that you have misinterpreted my
criticism as some form of prudishness. It is my onerous duty to
disabuse you of both of those notions.

Your clumsy allusion to watersports with Courtney Cox had all the
sparkle and novelty of armpit-farting; the Bond girl reminiscence I
snipped from this follow-up was just frat-boy wank-talk.

That you could imagine I had found your outpourings somehow shocking
is a far more concise testimony for the prosecution than I could have
produced myself. You'll find that most of the regulars on this group
are clever grown-ups, who are fully au fait with the gamut of things
boys and girls can do with each other, and know almost as many words
as you to describe these things.

One of the reasons that intelligent men and women get along so well in
this group is that when sex is discussed, it's usually done with the
kind of humour that everyone can laugh at. Take a look at Lee
Rudolph's riff on bestiality and Proust titles in the Snuff Movies
thread for an eminent example of how funny it gets. See the
difference?

I won't have anything further to add to this discussion.

Paraic "" O'Donnell

Bo Bradham

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

Bo Bradham <bra...@panix.com> wrote:
>Leo G Simonetta <le...@hopper.unh.edu> wrote:
>>When they mentioned this treatment on "Friends" I said to
>>myself: "Self, did they mention this in the PADI Rescue
>>Diver Course? Because I know I have heard it before."
>>
>>[looked thru the course material ...]
>>There is no mention of Urine or ammonia as a treatment for jellyfish
>>stings.
>
>Then it's more of a non-cite, eh?

And of course, what I forgot to mention is that Real Research is
always welcome here, no matter what it turns up.

Bo Bradham

Ben Walsh

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

Leo G Simonetta wrote:

> It also notes that the nematocytes (stinging cells) of most dangerous
> types of jellyfish are rendered inactive when they are flushed with
> common household vinegar.

Yep. A less worthy cite (medical advice at "DiscoverHawaii.com") states:

>>Nematocysts are inactivated by vinegar (or dilute acetic acid 5-10%). NOTE: If no vinegar is handy, then human urine will do in a pinch. If you have a choice in the matter, use a man's urine rather than a woman's urine. This is because females are more prone to occult urinary tract infections, thus introducing bacteria. Male urine is considered sterile, since men are much less likely to have a urinary tract infection.<<

"Scuba Times online" also mentions:

* Flush with alcohol or vinegar or dilute household ammonia (1:3 water)
* Meat tenderizer
* Shaving cream, shave or flush

The shaving cream I seem to remember from "South Sea Adventure" by
Willard Price (Hardy-Boys-as-naturalists-type books for boys). These
remedies seem to be applicable to both jellyfish and Portugeuese
men-of-war.

For bees, use bicarbonate of soda in water. Wasps, vinegar. Always
recognise what stung you. Bumblebees sting as well as fly.

ben "got stung by a bee yesterday - £20 for a jar of honey" w.

Craig Sherwood

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

In newsgroup alt.folklore.urban, post
<60r1ik$s...@panix2.panix.com>,bra...@panix.com (Bo Bradham) wrote:

> 3. Nematocysts are inactivated by vinegar (or dilute acetic acid

> 5-10%). NOTE: If no vinegar is handy, then human urine will do in
> a pinch. If you have a choice in the matter, use a man's urine

> rather than a woman's urine. ...
>
>As I said in my other post it's only recommended when other more
>suitable things are unavailable.

Could the recommendation of male vs. female urine involve the
precision of topical application?

(It's _still_ stinging; gimme another six-pack.)

--
I'm an amateur orthinologist; I just love word-botching.
DECAPITALATE My Email Address to Reply

Jane & Chris

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

I just can't wait for all the stories from confused and bewildered
non-US tourists who received a jellyfish sting on their US holiday
receiving offers from well meaning Americans to pee on them.

Jane

Jane & Chris

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

My family used to vacation in Northern Ontario quite a bit when I was a
kid, and many was the occasion when I found myself coming out of the
lake with a leech attached to my leg. My mom used to pour salt on it,
and my father used to tap his cigarette ash on it. I remember both of
them seeming to work to remove the leech, making him drop off, but I
really don't know what the chemistry is behind that, or if it was just a
UL that caused a psychosomatic reaction (on my part, or perhaps the
leeches.)

Perhaps some of the jellyfish chemists can answer this for me.

Jane

Ben Walsh

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Leeches are a different kettle of fish. Salt does work, and also leeches
have the following qualities:

* In the sixies, they would only appear on the upper body, being far too
prudish to venture below the belt. However, by the eighties they had
become adventurous enough to latch onto a person's membrum virile.
* Once you've been infested once, they'll never touch you again, even if
you get straight back into the same swamp.

Sources: "The African Queen" and "Stand By Me." Dates: Lasnerian.

ben "Hollywood wouldn't lie to me" w.

TMOliver

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Ben Walsh wrote:

> Jane & Chris wrote:
> >
> > My family used to vacation in Northern Ontario quite a bit when I was a
> > kid, and many was the occasion when I found myself coming out of the
> > lake with a leech attached to my leg. My mom used to pour salt on it,
> > and my father used to tap his cigarette ash on it.

> Leeches are a different kettle of fish. Salt does work, and also leeches

> have the following qualities:
>
> * In the sixies, they would only appear on the upper body, being far too
> prudish to venture below the belt. However, by the eighties they had
> become adventurous enough to latch onto a person's membrum virile.

One of the greatest memories of my lust inflamed adolescence was calming
a hysterical girl friend to whose labia a leech (sex-crazed cunnilingual
critter) had allied himself. Back in the 50s, an unimpeded daylight
extended closeup of female genitalia was as rare a commodity as precious
jewels. I did inform her that it would be necessary that I remove the
deadly beast, lest his head be trapped beneath her tender girl-flesh.

She thought the experience gross...
I classed it as mood-elevating to the umpteenth degree.

--
Famous "BigSig" on leave of absence at nearby "FatFarm" seeking
substantial

David J Richardson

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

re: leeches and salt

if you want an example of how this works, get a snail and pour salt on it.
it sucks water out of the snail, presumably quite painfully.

it is NOT a pretty sight.

--
David J Richardson
bo...@crafti.com.au & http://www.crafti.com.au/~borad/