Mixed up translations (was Re: Mixed Up Movie Titles)

已查看 107 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Paul Tomblin

未读,
1992年9月16日 10:37:321992/9/16
收件人
schu...@panix.com (Michael Schuster) writes:

>A Japanese game maker (it was either Taito or Nintendo, I forget) designed
>a video game about a big gorilla that resembled King Kong. I guess they
>didn't want to get into copyright battles by using the name, so they
>called it Monkey Kong. But somewhere along the way, it was transliterated
>incorrectly, and the game became known, for all time, as 'Donkey Kong'.

I thought it was because the japanese think of Donkeys as stupid, and
thought that they were really implying that Kong was stupid.
(or alternatively, the Japanese word for "stupid" is the same as "donkey"?)

--
Paul Tomblin, p...@geovision.gvc.com or {uunet,revcan}!geovision!pt
(This is not an official opinion of GeoVision Systems Inc.)

WA...@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu

未读,
1992年9月16日 20:12:001992/9/16
收件人
In article <1992Sep16....@geovision.gvc.com>, p...@geovision.gvc.com (Paul

Tomblin) says:

>schu...@panix.com (Michael Schuster) writes:
>
>>A Japanese game maker (it was either Taito or Nintendo, I forget) designed
>>a video game about a big gorilla that resembled King Kong. I guess they
>>didn't want to get into copyright battles by using the name, so they
>>called it Monkey Kong. But somewhere along the way, it was transliterated
>>incorrectly, and the game became known, for all time, as 'Donkey Kong'.
>
>I thought it was because the japanese think of Donkeys as stupid, and
>thought that they were really implying that Kong was stupid.
>(or alternatively, the Japanese word for "stupid" is the same as "donkey"?)

It was Nintendo. In an interview with the chief designer of Donkey Kong said
that the name in Japanese meant "stupid gorilla" for the reasons described
above.

Brian

James Pool

未读,
1992年9月18日 13:33:421992/9/18
收件人
WA...@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
: In article <1992Sep16....@geovision.gvc.com>, p...@geovision.gvc.com (Paul

Did you know that Donkey Kong was the first ever game to include the character
Mario, as in Super Marion Bros. Interesting eh?

(don't bother posting a replay saying NO!)

Oscar Trit or Gavin Millarrrrrrrrrrrrr

Robert O'Brien

未读,
1992年9月20日 19:52:421992/9/20
收件人
Before it was available for sale, a Toyota model (not sold in US) called
the "Soarer" was reported in US car magazines as "Soala"

The Mitsubishi "Stallion" was not so fortunate, and the misprint stuck.

Bob

Shirdi R. Prem

未读,
1992年9月21日 20:16:441992/9/21
收件人

One reason why the Vauxhall Nova did not sell very well in
Spain was because
"Nova" == (Spanish *) "Won't move".
(ps. could be an urban legend. I don't Habla Espanol very well)

One thing I do know is that Citroen sold their BX model
in a TRD version in Europe, but the same thing is marketed
as a DTR in the UK, for obvious reasons........

OB-t-shirt :
============
Seen on t-shirt here in Berkeley :

A picture of a shaven pussy, with the words :
"Read My Lips. No Bush in '92."

(There are two puns there. Think about it......)

OB-Lawyer-joke :
================
Reader's Digest, July 1992 :
Q. How many lawyer jokes are there ??
A. Three. The rest are true stories.

OB-Offensive-redneck statements :
=================================
( hey, this is the sentiment that seems to prevail on rec.humor )
( nowadays. So, even if I don't agree with any of this......... )

Jesus is great.
George Bush is great.
Desert Storm was a great victory.
Foreigners suck.
:
:
(blather, blather....burp....fart....)
(Hey, don't blame me, these are redneck statements...)
:
:
:

OB-sig :
==== Prem! ==== (Insert whatever you feel is funny) ====
==== ==== ====

Paul Tomblin

未读,
1992年9月21日 21:23:071992/9/21
收件人
obr...@netcom.com (Robert O'Brien) writes:

>Before it was available for sale, a Toyota model (not sold in US) called
>the "Soarer" was reported in US car magazines as "Soala"

Evidently, the reason the US pronounces the name Celica different from the
rest of the world can be traced back to one disk jockey at one particular
radio station that ran the first ads for it in the states.

In the rest of the world, it's "Ce-LEAK-ah", in the US it's more like
"Cell-lick-a". One case where Canadian pronunciation thankfully did not
follow the US model.

This story was told to me by the VP of Toyota Canada, Hector Dupuis.

--
Paul Tomblin, p...@geovision.gvc.com
(This is not an official opinion/statement of GeoVision Systems Inc.)

Randall Holt

未读,
1992年9月22日 14:24:251992/9/22
收件人

In the simlar vein of movie title translations;

My younger brother returned from a two year 'tour' of Japan with
the story that the Sly Stallone movie, _First Blood_ was titled _RAMBO_.

This may not seem terribly earth-shaking until it is pointed out that
the direct Japanese translation of _RAMBO_ is _VIOLENCE_.

The movie did very well.
--
Randall W. Holt - rx...@cwru.po.edu | Sturgeon's First Law
Dept. Radiology MetroHealth Hosp. | '90% of everything is crap'

Tom Johnson

未读,
1992年9月22日 17:04:031992/9/22
收件人
In article <19nocp...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> rx...@po.CWRU.Edu (Randall Holt) writes:

>In the simlar vein of movie title translations;

And in a similar vein ....

An American WWII movie was once subtitled in French.
One scene involved a sentry who saw some enemy tanks approaching.
He runs into camp screaming "Tanks! Tanks!! Tanks!".

The French subtitle: "Merci! Merci! Merci!"

amco...@ulkyvx.louisville.edu

未读,
1992年9月23日 06:58:161992/9/23
收件人
In article <19nocp...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, rx...@po.CWRU.Edu (Randall Holt) writes:

> In the simlar vein of movie title translations;
>
> My younger brother returned from a two year 'tour' of Japan with
> the story that the Sly Stallone movie, _First Blood_ was titled _RAMBO_.
>
> This may not seem terribly earth-shaking until it is pointed out that
> the direct Japanese translation of _RAMBO_ is _VIOLENCE_.

There is a story that has been going around for years that an American
technical manual was translated into Japanese and the term "hydraulic ram" came
out as "water buffalo" in Japanese. Anyone care to vouch for the veracity of
this?

Connor/Castigat ridendo mores

Warren Burstein

未读,
1992年9月22日 04:15:511992/9/22
收件人
In <19lolc...@overload.lbl.gov> pr...@prem.lbl.gov (Shirdi R. Prem) writes:

> One reason why the Vauxhall Nova did not sell very well in ...

I think it's time someone mentioned September.
--
/|/-\/-\ In real life, the Vice President chastises Murphey Brown
|__/__/_/ for her morals. Bill Clinton plays the sax on "Arsenio
|warren@ Hall." Though "Batman Returns" is fiction, it's not too
/ nysernet.org much stranger than truth - Caryn James, The New York Times

Dolf Grunbauer

未读,
1992年9月25日 03:20:321992/9/25
收件人
Wasn't some Japanese car no success in Spain because it's type name is
something like masturbation in spanish ?

Once FIAT (Italian cars) tried some car called Croma on our dutch market,
but we already have (some sort of) butter called croma, so the car was
no big success.

Didn't one of the advertisments of Coca Cola or Pepsi which was something
like: "brings back the youth in you" or "for a new generation" translated
into Chinese wrongly and when translated back to english it was something
like: "Brings back all your (dead) ancestors"

Dolf
--
_ _
/ U | Dolf Grunbauer E.C.H.O. Development Digital Equipment Enterprises

Montykins

未读,
1992年9月27日 04:10:021992/9/27
收件人
In article <1992Sep25....@echo.philips.nl>, do...@echo.philips.nl (Dolf Grunbauer) writes:

>Didn't one of the advertisments of Coca Cola or Pepsi which was something
>like: "brings back the youth in you" or "for a new generation" translated
>into Chinese wrongly and when translated back to english it was something
>like: "Brings back all your (dead) ancestors"

That'd be in the three-sided Churchill, Bob.

-Paul "Monty" Ashley

obFrozenChicken: Actually, I just wanted to say "obFrozenChicken".
Everyone should say it occasionally.
--
"Didn't expect to see me again, | pas...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu
eh, Svengali?" | [Not a UCSD employee]

Lauren L. Crawford

未读,
1992年9月29日 16:50:531992/9/29
收件人
In article <1992Sep25....@echo.philips.nl> do...@echo.philips.nl (Dolf Grunbauer) writes:
>Wasn't some Japanese car no success in Spain because it's type name is
>something like masturbation in spanish ?

Nova = no go in Spanish.

>Didn't one of the advertisments of Coca Cola or Pepsi which was something
>like: "brings back the youth in you" or "for a new generation" translated
>into Chinese wrongly and when translated back to english it was something
>like: "Brings back all your (dead) ancestors"

"Coke adds life" was the English, I think. We just tried to figure this
one out over on alt.usage.english.

--
Lauren Crawford // craw...@ben.dev.upenn.edu

QUEEN ZENOBIA!

未读,
1992年9月29日 21:12:561992/9/29
收件人
do...@echo.philips.nl (Dolf Grunbauer) writes:

>Wasn't some Japanese car no success in Spain because it's type name is
>something like masturbation in spanish ?

>Once FIAT (Italian cars) tried some car called Croma on our dutch market,
>but we already have (some sort of) butter called croma, so the car was
>no big success.

>Didn't one of the advertisments of Coca Cola or Pepsi which was something
>like: "brings back the youth in you" or "for a new generation" translated
>into Chinese wrongly and when translated back to english it was something
>like: "Brings back all your (dead) ancestors"

And the Grapes of Wrath book by Steinbeck was translated as The Angry Raisins.

I dont remember if into Chinese or Japanese, but i believe Chinese.
-kimberli roan

barth.richards

未读,
1992年9月30日 14:43:161992/9/30
收件人

This sounds like a permutation of the wax tadpole UL/factoid/true story.

To review:

When Coca Cola began marketing in the People's Republic of China, they
selected a series of Chinese syllables that sounded close to "koh kah koh
lah," but later discovered that the syllables meant "bite the wax tadpole."
They then selected another sequence of syllables that meant "the mouth
rejoices."

Does anyone know whether this is a UL or TRUE STORY(TM)?

--
88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
88 Barth Richards "Language is a virus from outer space." 88

Dustin Slater

未读,
1992年9月30日 16:10:151992/9/30
收件人
I admittedly haven't been following this string to closely, so i am
wonderin if you have mentioned the Nova (car). It didn't sell well in
Mexico because in spanish no va means (literally) "no go". not a great name
for a car.

--
de...@buhub.bradley.edu INEVITABILE FATVM de...@camelot.bradley.edu

Come and die with me forever.

Kristy Patterson

未读,
1992年10月1日 09:52:561992/10/1
收件人
In article <1992Sep30.2...@bradley.bradley.edu> de...@buhub.bradley.edu (Dustin Slater) writes:
>I admittedly haven't been following this string to closely, so i am
>wonderin if you have mentioned the Nova (car). It didn't sell well in
>Mexico because in spanish no va means (literally) "no go". not a great name
>for a car.

There are some really unfortunate car name out there;
Chevrolet CITATION? Nice to name your car "traffic ticket."
I also heard rumors of a Dodge (I believe it was Dodge) IMPACT.
I thought that was a good one, too.

Kristy "I'll take the GEO Crash, please" Patterson

--
+==========================+===========================================+
|Kristy Patterson | What is the law? NO SPILL BLOOD! |

David Esan

未读,
1992年10月1日 14:53:511992/10/1
收件人
In article <1992Sep30.2...@bradley.bradley.edu> de...@buhub.bradley.edu (Dustin Slater) writes:
>I admittedly haven't been following this string to closely, so i am
>wonderin if you have mentioned the Nova (car). It didn't sell well in
>Mexico because in spanish no va means (literally) "no go". not a great name
>for a car.

And number 3.

--> David Esan d...@moscom.com

Crunchy Frog

未读,
1992年10月1日 16:32:591992/10/1
收件人
In article <43...@moscom.com> d...@moscom.com (David Esan) writes:
>In article <1992Sep30.2...@bradley.bradley.edu>
> de...@buhub.bradley.edu (Dustin Slater) writes:
>>I admittedly haven't been following this string to closely, so i am
>>wonderin if you have mentioned the Nova (car). It didn't sell well in
>>Mexico because in spanish no va means (literally) "no go". not a great name
>>for a car.
>
>And number 3.

You just *love* this, don't you?

C "Anyone know any good Churchill stories?" Frog

Hal Wadleigh

未读,
1992年10月1日 14:08:071992/10/1
收件人
Let's nor forget the classic Chevy Nova (I have one for sale, BTW) which did
not get a warm reception in Spanish-speaking countries.

No Va = Won't Go

Paul Tomblin

未读,
1992年10月1日 08:37:121992/10/1
收件人
de...@buhub.bradley.edu (Dustin Slater) writes:

>I admittedly haven't been following this string to closely, so i am
>wonderin if you have mentioned the Nova (car). It didn't sell well in
>Mexico because in spanish no va means (literally) "no go". not a great name
>for a car.

Yes, and I hear that Monty Python once made a record with 3 sides.

(Or maybe it was Gladstone and the Disraelites)

--
Paul Tomblin, p...@geovision.gvc.com or {uunet,revcan}!geovision!pt
(This is not an official opinion of GeoVision Systems Inc.)

In our innermost soul, we are children and remain so for the rest of our lives
-- Sigmund Freud

Warren Burstein

未读,
1992年10月1日 07:52:181992/10/1
收件人

I admittedly haven't been following this string to closely, so i am
wonderin if you have mentioned the Nova (car).

I'm afraid not.

Lauren L. Crawford

未读,
1992年10月1日 17:53:201992/10/1
收件人
In article <1992Oct1.1...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> kri...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Kristy Patterson) writes:

>There are some really unfortunate car name out there;
>Chevrolet CITATION? Nice to name your car "traffic ticket."
>I also heard rumors of a Dodge (I believe it was Dodge) IMPACT.
>I thought that was a good one, too.

Then there's my favorite air traffic folks: RANSOM AIRLINES.

Doug Landauer

未读,
1992年10月1日 20:25:041992/10/1
收件人
> There are some really unfortunate car name out there;
> Chevrolet CITATION? Nice to name your car "traffic ticket."

As Steven Wright might've said if he'd thought of it:

Two of my imaginary friends bought new cars today.
A Charade, and a Mirage.

Laurence Doering

未读,
1992年10月2日 03:16:431992/10/2
收件人

Forget the Chevy Nova? Not likely, since EVERYBODY and their BROTHER has
been DRILLING the fact that "Nova" means "doesn't go" in Spanish into
our HEADS with JACKHAMMER-like PRECISION.

Oh, by the way, I heard there was a computer program developed in the
Fifties that was supposed to automate translation of Russian into English.
It rendered "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" into the Russian
for "The meat is rotten, but the vodka is holding out." Is this true?

Larry "Ted, do you know?" Doering

Citecheck Hell

未读,
1992年10月1日 21:14:341992/10/1
收件人
In article <1992Oct1.1...@HQ.Ileaf.COM> h...@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Hal Wadleigh) writes:

That's four.

Ted "anyone know any funny stories about tv game shows?" Frank
--
.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..
ted frank | th...@midway.uchicago.edu | standard disclaimers

Charles Lasner

未读,
1992年10月2日 07:24:491992/10/2
收件人
In article <1992Oct1.1...@geovision.gvc.com> p...@geovision.gvc.com writes:

>(Or maybe it was Gladstone and the Disraelites)

No, Desmond Dekker and the Aces.

cj "I don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde" l

obQues: Can someone explain the connection between the Israelites and
Bonnie n' Clyde?

Mark Eckenwiler

未读,
1992年10月2日 11:51:251992/10/2
收件人
In <1992Sep30.2...@bradley.bradley.edu>, de...@buhub.bradley.edu sez:
>I admittedly haven't been following this string to closely, so i am
>wonderin if you have mentioned the Nova (car). It didn't sell well in
>Mexico because in spanish no va means (literally) "no go". not a great name
>for a car.

No no no. You're confusing this with the short-lived American Motors
vehicle, the Pollo Gelido.

>de...@buhub.bradley.edu INEVITABILE FATVM de...@camelot.bradley.edu
>
> Come and die with me forever.

Snuff said.

- Mark "My other car is a Supercooled Capon" Eckenwiler

--
The sleep of reason begets Limbaughs.

Mark Eckenwiler e...@panix.com ...!cmcl2!panix!eck

David Esan

未读,
1992年10月2日 15:03:161992/10/2
收件人

What can I say?

I don't like it. It just amazes me that when someone goes newbie trolling
how many people he catches.

I generally lurk in newsgroups for a while so that I don't unintentionally
make a fool of myself. And then join only tenatively until I am sure of the
flow of the group. This is not just on the computer but in life. One can't
just wade in, you must test the waters first, and see if you have anything
that can be contributed, or that you want to get involved in the first place.

I was once in a deep discussion of the nuances of model rocketry with a
friend. We both had launched more than 100 model rockets each, and we
were comparing notes. A third person entered the conversation with: "I
shot a rocket once." It was completely inappropriate to the existing
conversation, and if he taken the time to listen he would have realized
that he was out of his depth in the conversation, and had nothing to
contribute.

I think newbies (whether freshman or new to the net) should have the same
politeness. There is an FAQ list that is posted regularly that states that
this is a strange group. A two week perusal of the group will have the
new user up to speed where the question of posh will not have to answered,
and Nova can remain at GM.

Actually, I shot a rocket once, wouldn't be a bad motto for AFU.

"Vunce the rockets are up, who cares where they come down,
Its not my department,
said Werner von Braun."

Charles Lasner

未读,
1992年10月2日 22:21:431992/10/2
收件人
In article <43...@moscom.com> d...@moscom.com (David Esan) writes:
>In article <1992Oct1.2...@CSD-NewsHost.Stanford.EDU> amo...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Crunchy Frog) writes:
>
>Actually, I shot a rocket once, wouldn't be a bad motto for AFU.

I shot a rocket once. I read AFU.

That must be the connection.

4 out of 5 people who ever shot off rockets read AFU.

cjl

Stephanie da Silva

未读,
1992年10月2日 08:58:541992/10/2
收件人
In article <1992Oct1.1...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> kri...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Kristy Patterson) writes:

> There are some really unfortunate car name out there;
> Chevrolet CITATION? Nice to name your car "traffic ticket."
> I also heard rumors of a Dodge IMPACT. I thought that was a good one, too.

Nononono.

The absolute most ridiculous name goes to the Ford Probe.

I mean, honestly. Would you buy a used Probe?

Citecheck Hell

未读,
1992年10月2日 13:36:291992/10/2
收件人
In article <xM2...@engin.umich.edu> ldoe...@engin.umich.edu (Laurence Doering) writes:
>Oh, by the way, I heard there was a computer program developed in the
>Fifties that was supposed to automate translation of Russian into English.
>It rendered "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" into the Russian
>for "The meat is rotten, but the vodka is holding out." Is this true?
>
>Larry "Ted, do you know?" Doering

No, I can't say that I do.

On the other hand, I reread a Dave Barry column last night where he mentions
the Wax Tadpole incident. He claims to have called Coca-Cola and gotten
confirmation of this story from someone named Darlene.

Does anyone know a Darlene at Coca-Cola, or know someone who does?

Ted "teeth of the sea" Frank

Warren Burstein

未读,
1992年10月3日 15:19:461992/10/3
收件人
In <1992Oct1.1...@HQ.Ileaf.COM> h...@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Hal Wadleigh) writes:

Let's nor forget the classic Chevy Nova (I have one for sale, BTW)
which did not get a warm reception in Spanish-speaking countries.

How could we?

Jay Denebeim

未读,
1992年10月3日 14:23:101992/10/3
收件人
In article <1992Oct1.2...@CSD-NewsHost.Stanford.EDU>, Crunchy Frog writes:

> You just *love* this, don't you?

I know I am. I'm just waiting for snopes to join in.

Jay "We don't need no stinking quote" Denebeim

Terry Chan

未读,
1992年10月3日 22:36:431992/10/3
收件人
kri...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Kristy Patterson) writes:
+>
+> There are some really unfortunate car name out there;
+> Chevrolet CITATION? Nice to name your car "traffic ticket."
+> I also heard rumors of a Dodge IMPACT. I thought that was a good one, too.

ari...@NeoSoft.com (Stephanie da Silva) writes:
+
+Nononono.
+
+The absolute most ridiculous name goes to the Ford Probe.
+
+I mean, honestly. Would you buy a used Probe?

Sounds like a clever name to reinforce the new car market and dispense
with the aftermarket.

BTW, isn't the GM hotshot electric car called the Impact?

Terry "If it isn't, it ought to be" Chan
--
Energy and Environment Division | Internet: TWC...@lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory |

maurice

未读,
1992年10月3日 17:57:001992/10/3
收件人
In article <1992Oct3.0...@news.columbia.edu>
I shot off a rocket once. Well, I didn't so much shoot it off as ignite
it. But when you're 12, the principle is the same.

Anybody famous ever shoot off a rocket?

maurice
Maurice Forrester
mjfo...@suvm.syr.edu

George Jetson

未读,
1992年10月3日 22:39:261992/10/3
收件人
In article <26...@israel.nysernet.org> war...@nysernet.org writes:
>In <1992Sep30.2...@bradley.bradley.edu> de...@buhub.bradley.edu (Dustin Slater) writes:
>
> I admittedly haven't been following this string to closely, so i am
> wonderin if you have mentioned the Nova (car).
>
>I'm afraid not.

These 3 strings walk into a bar ... (*)

Anyway, one wonders why they don't just translate "Nova" into Spanish,
and call it a "Nuevo".

(*) Write me if you don't get this.

A note to new readers: the weasely :-) symbol is frowned upon in this
group. Any questions, see Phil Gustafson who will gladly rearrange your
diodes for you.
- From the AFU FAQ -

- py...@quads.uchicago.edu, who is still costing the net
hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -

Sam Bassett

未读,
1992年10月4日 21:35:381992/10/4
收件人
In article <xM2...@engin.umich.edu> ldoe...@engin.umich.edu (Laurence Doering) writes:
>Oh, by the way, I heard there was a computer program developed in the
>Fifties that was supposed to automate translation of Russian into English.
>It rendered "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" into the Russian
>for "The meat is rotten, but the vodka is holding out." Is this true?

This appeared in one of the Readers' Digest humor columns, as did
the "translation" 'Out of sight, out of mind' --> 'Invisible idiot'.

Having studied Russian once upon a time, yeah, you can get one
out of the other, if you are willing to be sufficiently literal . . .

--
Sam'l Bassett -- System Administrator (among other silly things)
Work: DSC/Optilink, 1310-C Redwood Wy, Petaluma CA 94954; 1-707-792-7253

Jerry Gaiser

未读,
1992年10月5日 12:49:181992/10/5
收件人
In article <16875F9F1...@SUVM.SYR.EDU> MJFO...@SUVM.SYR.EDU (maurice) writes:
>In article <1992Oct3.0...@news.columbia.edu>
>las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:
>
>>In article <43...@moscom.com> d...@moscom.com (David Esan) writes:
>>>In article <1992Oct1.2...@CSD-NewsHost.Stanford.EDU> amo...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Crunchy Frog) writes:
>>>
>>>Actually, I shot a rocket once, wouldn't be a bad motto for AFU.
>>
>>I shot a rocket once. I read AFU.
>>
>>That must be the connection.
>>
>>4 out of 5 people who ever shot off rockets read AFU.
>
>I shot off a rocket once. Well, I didn't so much shoot it off as ignite
>it. But when you're 12, the principle is the same.

Well, I used to make and shoot matchstick rockets. Does that count?
--
Jerry Gaiser NO on 9
Usenet: jer...@ssd.intel.com

Laurence Doering

未读,
1992年10月6日 03:19:051992/10/6
收件人
In article <12...@optilink.UUCP> sa...@optilink.UUCP (Sam Bassett) writes:
>In article <xM2...@engin.umich.edu> ldoe...@engin.umich.edu (Laurence Doering) writes:
>>Oh, by the way, I heard there was a computer program developed in the
>>Fifties that was supposed to automate translation of Russian into English.
>>It rendered "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" into the Russian
>>for "The meat is rotten, but the vodka is holding out." Is this true?
>
> This appeared in one of the Readers' Digest humor columns, as did
>the "translation" 'Out of sight, out of mind' --> 'Invisible idiot'.
>
> Having studied Russian once upon a time, yeah, you can get one
>out of the other, if you are willing to be sufficiently literal . . .

cha-CHING!

Larry "nye ponemayu ruskii yazik" Doering

Jay Denebeim

未读,
1992年10月6日 22:43:151992/10/6
收件人
In article <16875F9F1...@SUVM.SYR.EDU>, maurice writes:

> Anybody famous ever shoot off a rocket?

Werner Von Braun?

--

|_o_o|\\
|. o.| || The Jay Denebeim
| . | || Software
| o | || Distillery
| |// Address: UUCP: duke!wolves!deepthot!jay
====== Internet: j...@deepthot.cary.nc.us
If the above bounces try: uunet.uu.net!oichq!deepthot!jay
BBS:(919)-460-7430 VOICE:(919)-460-6934

josli...@ae.ge.com

未读,
1992年10月7日 13:02:081992/10/7
收件人
twc...@tennyson.lbl.gov (Terry Chan) writes:

>BTW, isn't the GM hotshot electric car called the Impact?

Pontiac has a plastic concept car called the Salsa. Presumably, it
indicates what you'll look like after an accident.

Bad Car Pun: A SOAF (sister of a friend) once named her second car
placenta. (No, it wasn't a previa). Seems she had named her first car
Bertha, so the second one must have been after Bertha.

OBscurePun: Motor Trend once wrote about a guy who named his car Tazio.
Why? It was a new volare.

Paul "Can't believe I'm posting this with my real name." Joslin

--
Paul R. Joslin | I have come to the conclusion that one
jos...@c0223.ae.ge.com | useless man is called a "disgrace", that
| three or more become a "Congress".

josli...@ae.ge.com

未读,
1992年10月7日 14:01:411992/10/7
收件人
twc...@tennyson.lbl.gov (Terry Chan) writes:

>BTW, isn't the GM hotshot electric car called the Impact?

Bad Car Pun: A SOAF (sister of a friend) once named her second car

josli...@ae.ge.com

未读,
1992年10月7日 14:16:081992/10/7
收件人
h...@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Hal Wadleigh) writes:

>Let's nor forget the classic Chevy Nova (I have one for sale, BTW) which did
>not get a warm reception in Spanish-speaking countries.

>No Va = Won't Go

Thank you. Do you know any amusing Churchill stories?

Paul "or was it Disraeli? Oops, I owe Ted royalties now!" Joslin

--
Paul R. Joslin | A federal government big enough to give you
jos...@c0223.ae.ge.com | everything you want is a federal government big
| Gerald R. Ford

Andrew Rogers

未读,
1992年10月7日 14:30:341992/10/7
收件人
In article <1992Oct7.1...@crd.ge.com> josli...@ae.ge.com writes:
>OBscurePun: Motor Trend once wrote about a guy who named his car Tazio.
>Why? It was a new volare.

For those of you who didn't get this, it's a pun on the Italian race car
driver, Tazio Nuvolari. Road and Track once ran a photo of a snowbank
with a perfect impression of a 240Z on the side - captioned "Datsun Ice Car".

And a co-worker of mine many years ago named her German-built Ford
subcompact "Uncle Fiesta".

AWR

Mark Monninger

未读,
1992年10月7日 18:45:241992/10/7
收件人
A friend of mine had an Audi named Murphy.

Mark

Paul Tomblin

未读,
1992年10月7日 19:48:281992/10/7
收件人
rog...@rosencrantz.osf.org (Andrew Rogers) writes:

>And a co-worker of mine many years ago named her German-built Ford
>subcompact "Uncle Fiesta".

I had a bright orange 1972 VW Super Beetle with no muffler (what other kind
of beetle was there?). After somebody hit it and claimed they didn't see it,
I named it "Stealth Beetle".

Sorry - nothing to do with folklore, I just thought it was fun...

ObUL: Elvis is trying to set a record for the most sightings of a dead
person. If you see him, please send a get well card to Craig Shergold.

--
Paul Tomblin, p...@geovision.gvc.com or {uunet,revcan}!geovision!pt
(This is not an official opinion of GeoVision Systems Inc.)
I used to homebrew computers, now I homebrew beer. Is this progress?

the Crisco Kid

未读,
1992年10月8日 11:53:141992/10/8
收件人

NononononoNO!

The Ford Prefect beats that hands-down.

And yes, I would buy a used Prefect. I was one when I was at school:)

Kay
--
6'2", dark short hair, blue eyes, bisexual and horny as ....
Kay Dekker, Dept of Industrial Design, Coventry University, Coventry UK

maurice

未读,
1992年10月7日 17:06:201992/10/7
收件人
In article <PBsNr*g...@deepthot.cary.nc.us>

j...@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) writes:

>In article <16875F9F1...@SUVM.SYR.EDU>, maurice writes:
>
>> Anybody famous ever shoot off a rocket?
>
>Werner Von Braun?

Which James Bond movie was he in?

ObUL: Somewhere in the midwest, there is a college library that
is not sinking. The architects successfully calculated the weight
of the books.

maurice
Maurice Forrester
mjfo...@suvm.syr.edu

Elizabeth Brownrigg

未读,
1992年10月8日 13:21:001992/10/8
收件人

In article <1992Oct7.1...@osf.org>, rog...@rosencrantz.osf.org (Andrew Rogers) writes:
|> In article <1992Oct7.1...@crd.ge.com> josli...@ae.ge.com writes:
|> >OBscurePun: Motor Trend once wrote about a guy who named his car Tazio.
|> >Why? It was a new volare.
|>
|> For those of you who didn't get this, it's a pun on the Italian race car
|> driver, Tazio Nuvolari. Road and Track once ran a photo of a snowbank
|> with a perfect impression of a 240Z on the side - captioned "Datsun Ice Car".

Jeez, I'm glad you explained it. I was wondering what in hell
it had to do with "Death in Venice."

Mcirvin

未读,
1992年10月8日 18:31:141992/10/8
收件人
idx...@cck.coventry.ac.uk (the Crisco Kid) writes:

>NononononoNO!

>The Ford Prefect beats that hands-down.
>
>And yes, I would buy a used Prefect. I was one when I was at school:)

American fact: The Prefect was never sold here, so most of us never
got the joke in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

I didn't know what "Hotblack Desiato" was either until I saw it on
a FOR SALE sign in London and stood there on the corner howling
like an idiot. But I suspect I've mentioned that already. Never mind.
--
Matt McIrvin, posting nonsense again

Bruce Tindall

未读,
1992年10月8日 17:08:331992/10/8
收件人

In article <16875F9F1...@SUVM.SYR.EDU>, MJFO...@SUVM.SYR.EDU (maurice) writes:
>Anybody famous ever shoot off a rocket?

How about Leopold Bloom?

Bruce "I can spell Nausicaaaaaaaaaa but I don't know when to stop" Tindall

--

Kim Greer -- rjj

未读,
1992年10月9日 07:19:501992/10/9
收件人
>>Anybody famous ever shoot off a rocket?

Slim Pickens in Doctor Strangelove.

--
Kim L. Greer
Duke University Medical Center k...@orion.mc.duke.edu

Jonathan E. Quist

未读,
1992年10月9日 13:41:131992/10/9
收件人
In article <Bvt84...@cck.coventry.ac.uk> idx...@cck.coventry.ac.uk (the Crisco Kid) writes:
>>The absolute most ridiculous name goes to the Ford Probe.
>>I mean, honestly. Would you buy a used Probe?
>
>NononononoNO!
>
>The Ford Prefect beats that hands-down.
>
>And yes, I would buy a used Prefect. I was one when I was at school:)

Yes, but did you know where your towel was at?

Jonathan "Don't talk to me about Life!" Quist
--
Jonathan E. Quist INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation
j...@i88.isc.com '71 CL450-K4 "Gleep", DoD #094 Naperville, IL

barth.richards

未读,
1992年10月9日 15:36:451992/10/9
收件人

In article <mcirvin.718583474@husc10> mci...@husc10.harvard.edu (Mcirvin) writes:

>I didn't know what "Hotblack Desiato" was either until I saw it on
>a FOR SALE sign in London and stood there on the corner howling
>like an idiot. But I suspect I've mentioned that already. Never mind.

So, don't keep the rest of us American Douglas Adams fans in suspense.
What does "Hotblack Desiato" refer to?

--
88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
88 Barth Richards "Language is a virus from outer space." 88
88 att!ihlpf!barth - William S. Burroughs 88
88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Anthony Datri

未读,
1992年10月10日 01:09:241992/10/10
收件人
I was in the UK for two weeks, and didn't see a single Ford Prefect 8^(

Bill Cornette

未读,
1992年10月9日 17:14:041992/10/9
收件人
: >Oh, by the way, I heard there was a computer program developed in the
: >Fifties that was supposed to automate translation of Russian into English.
: >It rendered "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" into the Russian
: >for "The meat is rotten, but the vodka is holding out." Is this true?

: It's every bit as True (TM) as the automatic translation program which
: when given "Out of sight, out of mind" to translate into Russian and back
: again came out as "Invisible idiot" ...

And for a third example, a technical paper on hydraulic rams came out a
a "water goat".

kje...@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov

未读,
1992年10月10日 15:11:241992/10/10
收件人
In article <PBsNr*g...@deepthot.cary.nc.us> j...@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) writes:
>In article <16875F9F1...@SUVM.SYR.EDU>, maurice writes:
>
>> Anybody famous ever shoot off a rocket?
>
>Werner Von Braun?

Konstantin Tsiolkvosky?
Robert Goddard?
Bob Sieck?

-- Ken Jenks, NASA/JSC/GM2, Space Shuttle Program Office
kje...@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov (713) 483-4368

"The earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind will not stay in
the cradle forever." -- Konstantin Tsiolkvosky

Torsten Wesley Adair

未读,
1992年10月10日 17:10:131992/10/10
收件人
d...@moscom.com writes:
> In article <1992Oct1.2...@CSD-NewsHost.Stanford.EDU> amo...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Crunchy Frog) writes:
> >In article <43...@moscom.com> d...@moscom.com (David Esan) writes:
> >>And number 3.

> >You just *love* this, don't you?
>
> What can I say?
>
> I don't like it. It just amazes me that when someone goes newbie trolling
> how many people he catches.
>
> I generally lurk in newsgroups for a while so that I don't unintentionally
> make a fool of myself. And then join only tenatively until I am sure of the
> flow of the group. This is not just on the computer but in life. One can't
> just wade in, you must test the waters first, and see if you have anything
> that can be contributed, or that you want to get involved in the first place.
>
> I was once in a deep discussion of the nuances of model rocketry with a
> friend. We both had launched more than 100 model rockets each, and we
> were comparing notes. A third person entered the conversation with: "I
> shot a rocket once." It was completely inappropriate to the existing
> conversation, and if he taken the time to listen he would have realized
> that he was out of his depth in the conversation, and had nothing to
> contribute.
>
> I think newbies (whether freshman or new to the net) should have the same
> politeness. There is an FAQ list that is posted regularly that states that
> this is a strange group. A two week perusal of the group will have the
> new user up to speed where the question of posh will not have to answered,
> and Nova can remain at GM.

> Actually, I shot a rocket once, wouldn't be a bad motto for AFU.
>
> "Vunce the rockets are up, who cares where they come down,
> Its not my department,
> said Werner von Braun."
>

> --
> --> David Esan d...@moscom.com

Since it takes the local computer about two minutes (an eternity!) to
access the 1800+ (!!) entries on this newsgroup, I plan on doing this once a
month when I have a lot of time to read everything.
I just waded in, going down the list, and have posted at least three
times so far. I knew what a UL was, or else I wouldn't have subscribed to
this service (I have a choice of some 3,000 groups).
I was surprised to see the "grossest" file on a UL group, and the
stream of consciousness file with the actors is a bit different.
BTW, I have never shot a rocket, but I have seen instructions for
turning a two-liter bottle into a water rocket. (For God's sake DON'T tell
Dan Quayle!)

Torsten at Omaha (which is currently number three on the first cities
in the U.S. to be anihillated during World War Three (D.C. and NORAD are first
and second))

Torsten Wesley Adair

未读,
1992年10月10日 17:17:571992/10/10
收件人
py...@quads.uchicago.edu writes:
> In article <26...@israel.nysernet.org> war...@nysernet.org writes:
> >In <1992Sep30.2...@bradley.bradley.edu> de...@buhub.bradley.edu (Dustin Slater) writes:
> >
> > I admittedly haven't been following this string to closely, so i am
> > wonderin if you have mentioned the Nova (car).
> >
> >I'm afraid not.
>
> These 3 strings walk into a bar ... (*)
>
> Anyway, one wonders why they don't just translate "Nova" into Spanish,
> and call it a "Nuevo".
>
> (*) Write me if you don't get this.

Playboy Magazine Party Jokes July 1987 (?) There it was one string.

> A note to new readers: the weasely :-) symbol is frowned upon

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hyuk Hyuk!!

> in this
> group. Any questions, see Phil Gustafson who will gladly rearrange your
> diodes for you.
> - From the AFU FAQ -
>
> - py...@quads.uchicago.edu, who is still costing the net
> hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -

Actually, I use ":)" which is easier to type, and looks more like a
smiley face. Are all such "faces" banned from this newsgroup? Fine with me.
It just means that people will have to learn to read the author's intent.

Torsten Wesley Adair

未读,
1992年10月10日 17:26:021992/10/10
收件人

The University Library at the University of Nebraska at Omaha is
sinking not from the weight of the books (which doesn't help) but because
the building was built on an old creek bed. The library is moving, and if you
look up at the North wall, you can see an inch opening between the ceiling
beams and the wall. Every few years the university pumps concrete into the
foundation, but I give the building a life less than fifty years (2025). Of
course, by that time, most libraries will be storehouses, with everyone getting
information from WAIS controlled databases.

Torsten at Omaha

YuNoHoo

未读,
1992年10月12日 06:02:281992/10/12
收件人

I'll add that when a text editor was translated to German, the question
"Manual Check? (Y/N)" that was asked after a "Substitute Text" command
came out as "Handbuch Controllieren? (J/N)".

Same editor used shortcut commands and "ds" would mean "Document Save" in
the English version. Using the Norwegian version the "ds" sequence would
be interpreted as "Document Delete".

---
YuNoHoo

MR KR COMAN

未读,
1992年10月12日 09:24:351992/10/12
收件人
In article <Bvw3n...@egsner.cirr.com> da...@egsner.cirr.com (Anthony Datri) writes:
>From: da...@egsner.cirr.com (Anthony Datri)
>Subject: Re: Mixed up translations
>Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1992 05:09:24 GMT

>I was in the UK for two weeks, and didn't see a single Ford Prefect 8^(

No foolin'! The last one graduated in 1962, so 'less youz a freeze-dried
flower-child into deeja-voux...let it go, let it go, let it go, go, go, go.

Derek Tearne

未读,
1992年10月12日 01:54:191992/10/12
收件人
In article <Bvw3n...@egsner.cirr.com> da...@egsner.cirr.com (Anthony Datri) writes:
>I was in the UK for two weeks, and didn't see a single Ford Prefect 8^(

This is due to a strange effect called RBS, or Rust Bucket Syndrome. This
effects any vehicle which is not innoculated at an early age and is exposed
to the ravages of a British winter.

Take your next holiday in New Zealand, you would stand a fairly good chance
of seeing a couple driving around.

Derek "I had never seen one either - until I moved here" Tearne

--
Derek Tearne. -- de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz -- Fujitsu/ICL New Zealand --
Some of the more aware dinosaurs were worried about the environmental

bill nelson

未读,
1992年10月12日 14:48:021992/10/12
收件人
tor...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Torsten Wesley Adair) writes:
: >
: > ************************************************************************

: > A note to new readers: the weasely :-) symbol is frowned upon
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^
: Hyuk Hyuk!!
:
: > in this
: > group. Any questions, see Phil Gustafson who will gladly rearrange your
: > diodes for you.
: > - From the AFU FAQ -
: >
: > - py...@quads.uchicago.edu, who is still costing the net
: > hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
: > ************************************************************************
:
: Actually, I use ":)" which is easier to type, and looks more like a
: smiley face. Are all such "faces" banned from this newsgroup? Fine with me.
: It just means that people will have to learn to read the author's intent.

Note that it did not say "banned" - it said "frowned upon". Hopefully, you
can tell by the context whether a person is serious or just being ridiculous.

Bill

Paul Tomblin

未读,
1992年10月12日 18:10:151992/10/12
收件人
de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz (Derek Tearne) writes:

>In article <Bvw3n...@egsner.cirr.com> da...@egsner.cirr.com (Anthony Datri) writes:
>>I was in the UK for two weeks, and didn't see a single Ford Prefect 8^(

>This is due to a strange effect called RBS, or Rust Bucket Syndrome. This
>effects any vehicle which is not innoculated at an early age and is exposed
>to the ravages of a British winter.

Ravages of a British winter - feh! Having just spent a winter in Britain,
all I can say is that if that's a ravaging winter, you guys (and cars) are a
bunch of wimps. No snow to speak of (at least not enough to shovel or ski
on), no Car Killers (salt trucks), just rain and fog. And lots of cars that
would be considered incredibly aged here. Bleah!

Now here in Canada, we make _sure_ our cars turn to rust buckets, but having
vehicles (Car Killers) come out and dump salt on the roads every time a snow
flake touches down. You know what happens when salt water freezes and gets
stuck to the inside of your wheel wells every day? (And then maybe thaws a
little because you have underground parking, or because it's a sunny day)

Paul "Where men are men, and cars are rust buckets after 4 years" Tomblin

--
Paul Tomblin, p...@geovision.gvc.com

(This is not an official opinion of GeoVision Systems Inc.)

In our innermost soul, we are children and remain so for the rest of our lives
-- Sigmund Freud

j_m...@vger.nsu.edu

未读,
1992年10月12日 17:08:461992/10/12
收件人
In article <joslin.7...@c0223.ae.ge.com>, josli...@ae.ge.com writes:

> Bad Car Pun: A SOAF (sister of a friend) once named her second car
> placenta. (No, it wasn't a previa). Seems she had named her first car
> Bertha, so the second one must have been after Bertha.

That's so bad it's wonderful; I wish I'd thought of it.

HOwever, I will offer this for your perusal: My Fiat (always broken,
always needs attention) is named FIATSCO.

Jean Manes | Why are you guys skewing my curve???

Wisp

未读,
1992年10月13日 05:23:221992/10/13
收件人
In article <1992Oct12....@nezsdc.icl.co.nz> de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz (Derek Tearne) writes:
>In article <Bvw3n...@egsner.cirr.com> da...@egsner.cirr.com (Anthony Datri) writes:
>>I was in the UK for two weeks, and didn't see a single Ford Prefect 8^(
>
>This is due to a strange effect called RBS, or Rust Bucket Syndrome. This
>effects any vehicle which is not innoculated at an early age and is exposed
>to the ravages of a British winter.
>
>Take your next holiday in New Zealand, you would stand a fairly good chance
>of seeing a couple driving around.
>
>Derek "I had never seen one either - until I moved here" Tearne

hasn't this got something to do with the crap we spread on our roads in
winter? (We use rocksalt, aka 'grit'). There was a story on some driving prog
a few years back that you Kiwis use pumice, or something like that, that
doesn't melt the ice, like grit, but puts a grippy layer on top of it, so you
can drive safely (carefully!). Of course, we'd never get it here, or our cars
might last 20-30 years before rusting to bits, putting all the motor
manufacturers out of business...

The Wisp.

Jonathan E. Quist

未读,
1992年10月13日 11:18:111992/10/13
收件人
In article <1992Oct12.1...@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com> bi...@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (bill nelson) writes:
>tor...@cwis.unomaha.edu (Torsten Wesley Adair) writes:

>: > A note to new readers: the weasely :-) symbol is frowned upon
>: ^^^^^^^^^^^^

>: Actually, I use ":)" which is easier to type, and looks more like a
>: smiley face. Are all such "faces" banned from this newsgroup? Fine with me.
>: It just means that people will have to learn to read the author's intent.
>
>Note that it did not say "banned" - it said "frowned upon". Hopefully, you
>can tell by the context whether a person is serious or just being ridiculous.

Well, dammit, Bones, if you meant " :') is :-( ", why didn't you
just say so?

Jonathan "let's see you shoulder-roll your way out of that one" Quist

Warren Burstein

未读,
1992年10月3日 18:20:351992/10/3
收件人
In <1992Oct3.0...@news.columbia.edu> las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:

>I shot a rocket once. I read AFU.

I never did, but I know someone who swears he knows someone who did.

Warren "I once shot a chicken cannon, though" Burstein
--
/|/-\/-\ In real life, the Vice President chastises Murphey Brown
|__/__/_/ for her morals. Bill Clinton plays the sax on "Arsenio
|warren@ Hall." Though "Batman Returns" is fiction, it's not too
/ nysernet.org much stranger than truth - Caryn James, The New York Times

0 个新帖子