Dead Babies Found Behind the Convent?

dexx...@home.com

Mar 13, 2001, 6:30:35 PM3/13/01
I just heard a really creepy story about a small town in the US
Midwest from someone who lived there (which is actually HERE): Dead
babies (murderered?) found behind both the local Catholic hospital and
the local convent in the trash from the 1940s on, over several
decades. The stories also had it that the infants were the result of
sex between the nuns and local priests.

To me this reeks of urban legend...and the makings of a great (if
controversial) horror movie. Comments?

**CoyoteBlue32**
Your hunka-hunka burnin' monkey-lovin!

Andee

Mar 13, 2001, 6:48:57 PM3/13/01
This story has been making the rounds since my mother was a child (and she
would be 85 if she were still alive). Another was of the underground
tunnels between the rectory and the convent for secret trysts. The
stories were rampant when I was in Catholic school. I always discounted
the stories as I was positive the nuns were too busy staying up all night
dreaming up difficult exams and other things to make our lives miserable
to have trysts with the old priests. We never had any young, good looking
priests. They were all old with halitosis and long yellow fingernails.
If memory serves, these Handmaidens of God (nuns) were so horribly
undesirable, no one could possibly have believed a word of the rumors
being circulated by our
Protestant friends in the area.

Phil Gustafson

Mar 13, 2001, 7:33:52 PM3/13/01
dexx...@home.com writes:
>I just heard a really creepy story about a small town in the US
>Midwest from someone who lived there (which is actually HERE): Dead
>babies (murderered?) found behind both the local Catholic hospital and
>the local convent in the trash from the 1940s on, over several
>decades. The stories also had it that the infants were the result of
>sex between the nuns and local priests.
>
>To me this reeks of urban legend...and the makings of a great (if
>controversial) horror movie. Comments?

What it reeks of is a tale-teller who has a major bone to pick with the
Catholic Church. It's not an urban legend, it does suggest a religious
point of view, and it doesn't belong here.

Phil
--
))
(( Phil Gustafson Urban Legends FAQ: http://www.urbanlegends.com
C|~~| Java FAQ: http://www.afu.com
`--' <ph...@panix.com>

dexx...@home.com

Mar 14, 2001, 10:46:49 AM3/14/01
On 13 Mar 2001 19:33:52 -0500, ph...@panix.com (Phil Gustafson) wrote:

>dexx...@home.com writes:
>>I just heard a really creepy story about a small town in the US
>>Midwest from someone who lived there (which is actually HERE): Dead
>>babies (murderered?) found behind both the local Catholic hospital and
>>the local convent in the trash from the 1940s on, over several
>>decades. The stories also had it that the infants were the result of
>>sex between the nuns and local priests.
>>
>>To me this reeks of urban legend...and the makings of a great (if
>>controversial) horror movie. Comments?
>>
>What it reeks of is a tale-teller who has a major bone to pick with the
>Catholic Church. It's not an urban legend, it does suggest a religious
>point of view, and it doesn't belong here.
>
>Phil

In the very brief research I've done regarding this since I first
posted here I've found that it DOES seem to be an urban legend common
to many locales around the world. Also, it was stories told from one
person to another over many years, so if there is an anti-Catholic
bias behind it -- it is not merely the product of a single
bone-picking tale-teller but evidence of general ill-feeling toward
Catholics by non-Catholics, which I suspected. Not sure why this UL
doesn't belong here, Phil....

Ray Depew

Mar 14, 2001, 8:22:43 AM3/14/01
dexx...@home.com wrote:
: I just heard a really creepy story about a small town in the US

: Midwest from someone who lived there (which is actually HERE): Dead
: babies (murderered?) found behind both the local Catholic hospital and
: the local convent in the trash from the 1940s on, over several
: decades. The stories also had it that the infants were the result of
: sex between the nuns and local priests.

: To me this reeks of urban legend...and the makings of a great (if
: controversial) horror movie. Comments?

It's an old, old ghost story. Tales about "schools and convents haunted by
the ghosts of babies whose skeletons were found in the spaces between the
walls" have been passed around for generations.

Might make a good movie. Probably already has. No more controversial than
any other one, though.

Regards
Ray

Drew Lawson

Mar 14, 2001, 12:12:40 PM3/14/01
In article <3aae57cb.7910549@news>

dexx...@home.com writes:
>I just heard a really creepy story about a small town in the US
>Midwest from someone who lived there (which is actually HERE): Dead
>babies (murderered?) found behind both the local Catholic hospital and
>the local convent in the trash from the 1940s on, over several
>decades. The stories also had it that the infants were the result of
>sex between the nuns and local priests.
>
>To me this reeks of urban legend...and the makings of a great (if
>controversial) horror movie. Comments?

May or may not be an urban legend, but it is too close to the BoR
for discussion of whether there is any truth behind it.

A friend of mine served an LDS mission in Peru and apparently heard
the same story there. He reported it as a sad fact. I assume that
it is mostly (if not entirely) an anti-Catholic scare story.

Drew "unknowable" Lawson
--
Drew Lawson http://www.furrfu.com/ dr...@furrfu.com
"Please understand that we are considerably less interested

Robert Warinner

Mar 14, 2001, 12:18:36 PM3/14/01
dexx...@home.com wrote:
: In the very brief research I've done regarding this since I first

: posted here I've found that it DOES seem to be an urban legend common
: to many locales around the world. Also, it was stories told from one
: person to another over many years, so if there is an anti-Catholic
: bias behind it -- it is not merely the product of a single
: bone-picking tale-teller but evidence of general ill-feeling toward
: Catholics by non-Catholics, which I suspected. Not sure why this UL
: doesn't belong here, Phil....

It's not that your tale couldn't fit more or less comfortably under
within the definition of 'urban legend,' it's that the point of legend
- 'Catholics are depraved perverts' - is possible loon bait and likely
to step on someone's religious sensibilities at some point. Discussion
is best done somewhere else.

Andrew Warinner
wari...@xnet.com
http://home.xnet.com/~warinner
Urban Legend Zeitgeist: http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/

Ray Depew

Mar 14, 2001, 9:52:40 AM3/14/01
Ray Depew (r...@ftc.agilent.com) wrote:
[dead babies buried behind convents]
: : To me this reeks of urban legend...and the makings of a great (if
: : controversial) horror movie. Comments?

: It's an old, old ghost story. Tales about "schools and convents haunted by
: the ghosts of babies whose skeletons were found in the spaces between the
: walls" have been passed around for generations.

Sorry. I should have elaborated on the source.

I bought a non-fiction paperback book about poltergeists and other paranormal
haunting-type phenomena back in 1969. The book is long gone. Each chapter
discussed a specific type of phenomenon, starting with a "true" story about it
and then examining similar historical accounts and the reasons behind the
hauntings. The "dead babies come back to haunt the place they are buried (or
were killed)" was discussed at length in one of the chapters. "Passed
around for generations" may have been an understatement.

--
Regards
Ray "'I'm really the ghost of old Kate Batts'" D.

Kate McDonnell

Mar 14, 2001, 12:42:44 PM3/14/01
dexx...@home.com wrote:
> I just heard a really creepy story about a small town in the US
> Midwest from someone who lived there (which is actually HERE): Dead
> babies (murderered?) found behind both the local Catholic hospital and
> the local convent in the trash from the 1940s on, over several
> decades. The stories also had it that the infants were the result of
> sex between the nuns and local priests.

There is a true story resembling this, usually called the
Butter Box Babies scandal, about babies being buried behind
a maternity home in Nova Scotia. I've seen a report on a
reputable Canadian journalism show, and have found this account
on the net: http://www.monmouth.com/~ssteinhauer/bckgrnd.html

Note the absence of a Catholic spin on the story.

k "i also found several references to a punk band" m.

Don Whittington

Mar 14, 2001, 12:41:58 PM3/14/01
In article <98459056...@cswreg.cos.agilent.com>, r...@ftc.agilent.com
(Ray Depew) wrote:

Poltergeist, Tales of the Supernatural by Harry Price. Could that be it?

Don "Not the best of books but I have it" Whittington

--
This is what goes on while we wait for a legend to
discuss or a clueless newby to savage.---Casady's take on things

Ray Depew

Mar 14, 2001, 11:46:23 AM3/14/01
Don Whittington (dun...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: >
: > Sorry. I should have elaborated on the source.

: >
: > I bought a non-fiction paperback book about poltergeists and other paranormal
: > haunting-type phenomena back in 1969. The book is long gone.
[...]

: Poltergeist, Tales of the Supernatural by Harry Price. Could that be it?

That sounds like it.

: Don "Not the best of books but I have it" Whittington

Yep. It was just the thing for a bored 14-year-old on a family vacation.

--
Regards
Ray

Ray Depew

Mar 14, 2001, 11:47:55 AM3/14/01
Don Whittington (dun...@mindspring.com) wrote:

: > Sorry. I should have elaborated on the source.

: >
: > I bought a non-fiction paperback book about poltergeists and other paranormal
: > haunting-type phenomena back in 1969. The book is long gone.

: Poltergeist, Tales of the Supernatural by Harry Price. Could that be it?

That sounds like it.

: Don "Not the best of books but I have it" Whittington

Yep. It was just the thing for a bored 12-year-old on a family vacation.

Charles Frederick Goodin

Mar 14, 2001, 3:29:33 PM3/14/01
In article <o4Or6.949$T3.189...@news.frii.net>,

The Butterbox Babies story was also made into a TV movie of the week on
CBC (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0122418), and there have been books about it
as well (Robert Hartlen wrote _Butterbox survivors : life after the Ideal
Maternity Home_ (ISBN: 1551092905) which came out in 1999, ISTR an older
book, too).

But as the previous poster said, no nuns or priests as parents in this
one.

--
chuk

Elizabeth Anderson

Mar 14, 2001, 3:30:58 PM3/14/01
Ray Depew wrote:

> It's an old, old ghost story. Tales about "schools and convents haunted by
> the ghosts of babies whose skeletons were found in the spaces between the
> walls" have been passed around for generations.

You are quite right, Ray - it is *generations*. I am a medievalist, and the
'rumour' is pretty common all over Europe, and especially in England, where it
gained a lot of strength following the dissolution of the monasteries (and
nunneries) by Henry VIII. (The 16th century, folks).

It seems to be just one of those ugly things that people say.

Bess Anderson

Simon Slavin

Mar 14, 2001, 6:22:06 PM3/14/01
dexx...@home.com wrote:

> The stories also had it that the infants were the result of
> sex between the nuns and local priests.

That is an orban legend (to my understanding of the term).
It is told about any number of Nunneries.

> To me this reeks of urban legend...and the makings of a great (if
> controversial) horror movie. Comments?

It's so obvious I suspect that It has been done already.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk | There's a *reason* why talk.politics.* is
No junk email please. | unreadable. It's because people talk about
| politics there. -- Nathan Tenny

Tigger

Mar 16, 2001, 2:39:09 PM3/16/01
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:18:36 +0000 (UTC), Robert Warinner
<wari...@typhoon.xnet.com> wrote:

>dexx...@home.com wrote:
>: In the very brief research I've done regarding this since I first
>: posted here I've found that it DOES seem to be an urban legend common
>: to many locales around the world. Also, it was stories told from one
>: person to another over many years, so if there is an anti-Catholic
>: bias behind it -- it is not merely the product of a single
>: bone-picking tale-teller but evidence of general ill-feeling toward
>: Catholics by non-Catholics, which I suspected. Not sure why this UL
>: doesn't belong here, Phil....
>
>It's not that your tale couldn't fit more or less comfortably under
>within the definition of 'urban legend,' it's that the point of legend
>- 'Catholics are depraved perverts' - is possible loon bait and likely
>to step on someone's religious sensibilities at some point. Discussion
>is best done somewhere else.
>
>Andrew Warinner

I understand, and of course it wasn't my intention to offend
anyone...or reel in a loon LOL

Rivers

Mar 16, 2001, 5:38:54 PM3/16/01

See:
http://www.english.upenn.edu/~traister/hughes.html
for "The Awful Disclosures of Maria Monk", and other such drivel on
this theme. This was ( and probably still is) believed to to be
absolute truth, and only to be expected from followers of the Whore of
Babylon, in '50s Belfast.
So probably not urban legend, but propaganda.

Rivers

Viv

Mar 16, 2001, 6:16:05 PM3/16/01
Recently, Elizabeth Anderson <eand...@ucalgary.ca> wrote:

In medieval times, didn't the nuns have women working with them as
part of the sheltered life who were not qualified to 'take the veil'
either by lack of vocation, lack of dowry or lack of moral rectitude?

A substantial number of these women may well have come to the
nunneries pregnant and disgraced and in need of refuge, or even
respectably widowed and pregnant but without means of support - these
women's children would presumably be raised with the orphans and the
women would work for their keep. And the children who didn't survive
would be buried in the graveyard.

Seeing a pregnant woman residing in a nunnery would not necessarily
mean that she was a naughty nun to anyone without an axe to grind, but
I can imagine how it might make rumours fly.

Vivienne "weren't nuns once the major if not only providers of Homes
for Wayward Girls?" Smythe
--
"I was a sneaky little fuck, once." (Mitcho tries to
convince AFU that he is a reformed character nowadays)

Phil Edwards

Mar 16, 2001, 6:41:18 PM3/16/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:16:05 +1100, Viv <v...@au.mensa.org> wrote:

>Vivienne "weren't nuns once the major if not only providers of Homes
>for Wayward Girls?" Smythe

A key connotation of "Get thee to a nunnery!", or So I Was Told.

Phil "Interesting Facts Our Teachers Told Us" Edwards
--
Phil Edwards http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/amroth/
"This is just my opinion, and I look back and realise it does little

chris 'fufas' grace

Mar 16, 2001, 8:52:00 PM3/16/01

Except that both the person who told me the story and the person who
heard it (me):
1. Are 12,000 miles from Belfast.
2. Have never been anywhere near Belfast
And thus are unlikely to have been exposed to Irish propaganda of any
description.

--
For a dining "experience" visit the "Killer Prawn" in Whangarei!
Be served and charged for food *without even ordering it*!

R H Draney

Mar 16, 2001, 8:57:18 PM3/16/01
Phil Edwards wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:16:05 +1100, Viv <v...@au.mensa.org> wrote:
>
> >Vivienne "weren't nuns once the major if not only providers of Homes
> >for Wayward Girls?" Smythe
>
> A key connotation of "Get thee to a nunnery!", or So I Was Told.
>
> Phil "Interesting Facts Our Teachers Told Us" Edwards

Really?...I was told by an interesting teacher [1] that Jacobian slang
had "nunnery" as an ironic euphemism for a brothel....r

[1] 9th grade English; during my tenure with her class, she appeared as
the lead in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", and led her class to
believe that she *did* play the bath scene nude....

--
America: where you can still eat the meat!

Cheryl L. Perkins

Mar 16, 2001, 9:13:06 PM3/16/01
chris 'fufas' grace (ch...@transdata.co.nz) wrote:

: Except that both the person who told me the story and the person who

: heard it (me):
: 1. Are 12,000 miles from Belfast.
: 2. Have never been anywhere near Belfast
: And thus are unlikely to have been exposed to Irish propaganda of any
: description.

The Irish and the English got around, and they tended to take their
stories/propaganda with them.

Cheryl
--
Cheryl Perkins
cper...@stemnet.nf.ca

Phil Edwards

Mar 17, 2001, 2:15:22 AM3/17/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 01:57:18 GMT, R H Draney <dado...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Phil Edwards wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:16:05 +1100, Viv <v...@au.mensa.org> wrote:
>>
>> >Vivienne "weren't nuns once the major if not only providers of Homes
>> >for Wayward Girls?" Smythe
>>
>> A key connotation of "Get thee to a nunnery!", or So I Was Told.
>>
>> Phil "Interesting Facts Our Teachers Told Us" Edwards
>
>Really?...I was told by an interesting teacher [1] that Jacobian slang
>had "nunnery" as an ironic euphemism for a brothel....r

Ceteris paribus, mutatis mutandis, quibus rebus factis prima luce
Gallia divisa est in tres partes, yes indeed. That an' all.

Phil "unless the actual-physical-nunnery part was F*lk *t*m*l*g*"

Trixie

Mar 15, 2001, 10:38:44 AM3/15/01
In article <3AAEB1E9...@cs.com>, Andee <Ande...@cs.com> wrote:

>This story has been making the rounds since my mother was a child (and she
>would be 85 if she were still alive). Another was of the underground
>tunnels between the rectory and the convent for secret trysts. The
>stories were rampant when I was in Catholic school. I always discounted
>the stories as I was positive the nuns were too busy staying up all night
>dreaming up difficult exams and other things to make our lives miserable
>to have trysts with the old priests. We never had any young, good looking
>priests. They were all old with halitosis and long yellow fingernails.
>If memory serves, these Handmaidens of God (nuns) were so horribly
>undesirable, no one could possibly have believed a word of the rumors
>being circulated by our
>Protestant friends in the area.

On the Urban Legend [www.urbanlegend.com] site there was the opinion that
people usually make up something sinister any time there are tunnels...
especially if not just anyone uses them. When, of course, most tunnels
have very dull uses.

>dexx...@home.com wrote:
>
>> I just heard a really creepy story about a small town in the US
>> Midwest from someone who lived there (which is actually HERE): Dead
>> babies (murderered?) found behind both the local Catholic hospital and
>> the local convent in the trash from the 1940s on, over several
>> decades. The stories also had it that the infants were the result of
>> sex between the nuns and local priests.

A lot of babies die in hospitals and there are miscarriages and things
like that. I doubt they put the babies or miscarried fetuses into the
regular trash, but years ago... who knows. It sounds like someone added a
sinister spin to something that happens very regularly in a hospital and
usually occurs without there being any foulplay.

As for the convent, once upon a time sometimes women sought shelter at
convents when they were "in trouble." Also, some convents used to operate
or be affiliated with orphanages, so people would leave babies there.

People, when they cook up stories like this, forget that not all babies
that are born live very long. Not all pregnancies go all the way to term
and deliver a live baby. And women have not always gone to hospitals to
have their babies or with pregnancy-related issues. Once, regular houses
had family graveyards where they buried infants that didn't survive. So,
if the nuns at a convent took in a woman whose baby died, they'd probably
bury it on the convent grounds.

So, there can easily be babies in convents without any nuns or priests
being biological parents. And there can easily be babies' graves without
anyone being a murderer. Especially if the case dates from the 1940s or
before. But, there would still be some written record of what happened if
it really happened [e.g., birth certificates, death certificates, etc.].

Trixie

Charles A Lieberman

Mar 15, 2001, 11:53:37 AM3/15/01
Phil Gustafson 13 Mar 2001 19:33:52 -0500
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=<98me9g$13b$1...@panix2.panix.com>

>>To me this reeks of urban legend...and the makings of a great (if
>>controversial) horror movie. Comments?
>>
>What it reeks of is a tale-teller who has a major bone to pick with the
>Catholic Church. It's not an urban legend, it does suggest a religious
>point of view, and it doesn't belong here.

Similar things could be said of bl**d lib*l. While I'm pretty certain I
don't want to see the discussion of that on AFU (although I'm equally
certain the regulars would behave), why isn't it a (an?) UL?

--
Charles A. Lieberman | "They do not mislay legitimate sons."
Brooklyn, New York, USA | -Timothy McDaniel, to whom neatness counts

chris 'fufas' grace

Mar 15, 2001, 6:40:58 PM3/15/01
Charles A Lieberman wrote:

> Phil Gustafson 13 Mar 2001 19:33:52 -0500
> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=<98me9g$13b$1...@panix2.panix.com>
> >>To me this reeks of urban legend...and the makings of a great (if
> >>controversial) horror movie. Comments?
> >>
> >What it reeks of is a tale-teller who has a major bone to pick with the
> >Catholic Church. It's not an urban legend, it does suggest a religious
> >point of view, and it doesn't belong here.
>
> Similar things could be said of bl**d lib*l. While I'm pretty certain I
> don't want to see the discussion of that on AFU (although I'm equally
> certain the regulars would behave), why isn't it a (an?) UL?

I agree. By some strange incidence of AFU precept 1 [1] I heard the
self same story a couple of days ago from a friend of mine who was
bought up by nuns in an orphanage. She said that the cemetery attached
to the church (attached to the convent attached to the orphanage) had
a walled off area for the illegitimate offspring of Nuns (who could
not be buried in consecrated ground).

Putting the BOR aspects aside (and there were no BORish elements in
the discussion I was having), this is obviously a widespread story and
possibly a UL. I suppose it's quite possible that there were areas in
cemeteries reserved for illegitimate children, suicides, etc, and this
has mutated over the years.

[1] Synchronicity is your friend

Phil Gustafson

Mar 15, 2001, 9:16:42 PM3/15/01
My apologies. Yes, there's definitely ULish material there, and the
stories are likely to be worth discussing. I'm sometimes a little too
quick on the gun with BOR and BOP issues; this was one of those times.

Ph.

David Sewell

Mar 15, 2001, 5:52:18 PM3/15/01
In article <3AAFD501...@ucalgary.ca>,

Elizabeth Anderson <eand...@ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>You are quite right, Ray - it is *generations*. I am a medievalist, and the
>'rumour' is pretty common all over Europe, and especially in England, where it
>gained a lot of strength following the dissolution of the monasteries (and
>nunneries) by Henry VIII. (The 16th century, folks).

And Mark Twain, who was not a medievalist but played one in several
of his books, obliquely refers to the rumors as truths in
"A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."

--
David Sewell, University of Virginia
dr...@virginia.invalid (replace domain name with "edu" to reply by email!)

Phil Edwards

Mar 17, 2001, 5:34:14 AM3/17/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 02:13:06 +0000 (UTC), cper...@stemnet.nf.ca
(Cheryl L. Perkins) wrote:

>chris 'fufas' grace (ch...@transdata.co.nz) wrote:
>
>: Except that both the person who told me the story and the person who
>: heard it (me):
>: 1. Are 12,000 miles from Belfast.
>: 2. Have never been anywhere near Belfast
>: And thus are unlikely to have been exposed to Irish propaganda of any
>: description.
>
>The Irish and the English got around, and they tended to take their
>stories/propaganda with them.

Even our language seems to have gotten around somewhat.

Phil "traditionalist" Edwards

Rivers

Mar 17, 2001, 5:58:01 AM3/17/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 14:52:00 +1300, chris 'fufas' grace
<ch...@transdata.co.nz> wrote:

>Except that both the person who told me the story and the person who
>heard it (me):
>1. Are 12,000 miles from Belfast.
>2. Have never been anywhere near Belfast
>And thus are unlikely to have been exposed to Irish propaganda of any
>description.

A swift glance at the URL quoted would have revealed that the
propaganda mentioned was mostly of US/Canadian 19th century origin and
has spread as far as the bigots have. A Google search on Maria Monk or
nuns+dead+babies will find you as much as you want of the same,
including some present day believers, even probably in NZ.
I was in Belfast when I heard of it, and even as a teenager I found it
basically implausible.

Cindy Kandolf

Mar 17, 2001, 6:31:09 AM3/17/01
chris 'fufas' grace <ch...@transdata.co.nz> writes:
| I suppose it's quite possible that there were areas in
| cemeteries reserved for illegitimate children, suicides, etc, and this
| has mutated over the years.

At one time, *unbaptized* children, suicides, and possibly some others
could not be buried in the consecrated ground of a Catholic cemetary.
A stillborn baby couldn't be buried in the churchyard regardless of
whether his parents were married or not; a child born outside of
wedlock, once baptized, would be counted the same as a legitimate
child for the purposes of burying.

The baptized/unbaptized distinction is no longer made.

- Cindy Kandolf, certified language mechanic, mamma flodnak
flodmail: thefl...@ivillage.com flodhome: Bærum, Norway
flodweb: http://www.flodnak.com/

chris 'fufas' grace

Mar 17, 2001, 10:58:51 PM3/17/01
Cindy Kandolf wrote:

> chris 'fufas' grace <ch...@transdata.co.nz> writes:
> | I suppose it's quite possible that there were areas in
> | cemeteries reserved for illegitimate children, suicides, etc, and this
> | has mutated over the years.
>
> At one time, *unbaptized* children, suicides, and possibly some others
> could not be buried in the consecrated ground of a Catholic cemetary.
> A stillborn baby couldn't be buried in the churchyard regardless of
> whether his parents were married or not; a child born outside of
> wedlock, once baptized, would be counted the same as a legitimate
> child for the purposes of burying.
>
> The baptized/unbaptized distinction is no longer made.

Do you know when it stopped? My friend is emphatic that she saw such
an area in a cemetery, and that it was unconsecrated. The bit about
the area being reserved for the offspring of nuns could obviously be
creative embroidery.

She would have seen it in the early 1950s, and there probably would
have been a cemetery there for over 75 years at that time.

chris 'fufas' grace

Mar 17, 2001, 11:00:09 PM3/17/01
"Cheryl L. Perkins" wrote:

> chris 'fufas' grace (ch...@transdata.co.nz) wrote:
>
> : Except that both the person who told me the story and the person who
> : heard it (me):
> : 1. Are 12,000 miles from Belfast.
> : 2. Have never been anywhere near Belfast
> : And thus are unlikely to have been exposed to Irish propaganda of any
> : description.
>
> The Irish and the English got around, and they tended to take their
> stories/propaganda with them.

Yes, we do. But I had never heard this before, in the UK or anywhere
else.

Cindy Kandolf

Mar 18, 2001, 8:08:56 AM3/18/01
chris 'fufas' grace <ch...@transdata.co.nz> writes:
| > At one time, *unbaptized* children, suicides, and possibly some others
| > could not be buried in the consecrated ground of a Catholic cemetary.
| ><snip>
| > The baptized/unbaptized distinction is no longer made.
| >

| Do you know when it stopped? My friend is emphatic that she saw such
| an area in a cemetery, and that it was unconsecrated. The bit about
| the area being reserved for the offspring of nuns could obviously be
| creative embroidery.
|
| She would have seen it in the early 1950s, and there probably would
| have been a cemetery there for over 75 years at that time.

The change was before my time, but "my time" starts after the Second
Vatican Council. I believe I read something about unconsecrated ground
in my mother's old Baltimore Catechism, which would have been from the
'30s or '40s. Seems possible the change was Vatican II-era, which
would make your friend's recollection correct... at least as far as
that detail goes.

Cheryl L. Perkins

Mar 18, 2001, 8:34:05 AM3/18/01
chris 'fufas' grace (ch...@transdata.co.nz) wrote:

: Yes, we do. But I had never heard this before, in the UK or anywhere
: else.

It struck me as a fairly typical anti-Catholic story. I don't think I've
come across ones where the babies were found behind the convent, but I've
certainly come across stuff about nuns being buried or walled up alive
because they fell in love or tried to elope or something. I couldn't
really connect these stories with the (to my eyes) elderly and strict
nuns and priests at the Catholic parish and school in my home town,
though. I seem to remember reading that a lot of this stuff
has its roots in anti-Catholic propaganda in much of the English speaking
parts of the world in the 1700s and 1800s. It wasn't limited to religious
books, either, novels had villanous priests, monks, and victimized nuns.

Joseph Michael Bay

Mar 19, 2001, 6:31:55 PM3/19/01
thefl...@ivillage.com (Cindy Kandolf) writes:

>chris 'fufas' grace <ch...@transdata.co.nz> writes:
>| I suppose it's quite possible that there were areas in
>| cemeteries reserved for illegitimate children, suicides, etc, and this
>| has mutated over the years.

>At one time, *unbaptized* children, suicides, and possibly some others
>could not be buried in the consecrated ground of a Catholic cemetary.

So what was to stop them from crawling back out and eating the
flesh of the living? Won't someone PLEASE think of the CHILDREN?

--
Joe Bay FLX NAV
Cancer Biology NUC MEM

Trųütmån

Mar 20, 2001, 12:58:26 PM3/20/01
cper...@stemnet.nf.ca (Cheryl L. Perkins) graced us with the following:

>I seem to remember reading that a lot of this stuff
>has its roots in anti-Catholic propaganda in much of the English speaking
>parts of the world in the 1700s and 1800s. It wasn't limited to religious
>books, either, novels had villanous priests, monks, and victimized nuns.

Interesting that this was in the news today....

Report: Priests, Missionaries Sexually Abuse Nuns
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010320/ts/vatican_abuse_dc_3.html

Michæl Trøütmån
http://www.troutman.org
http://www.zen-data.com

Ray Depew

Mar 20, 2001, 1:07:08 PM3/20/01
Trųütmån (mikė@trųütmån.org) wrote:
: cper...@stemnet.nf.ca (Cheryl L. Perkins) graced us with the following:

: Interesting that this was in the news today....

: Report: Priests, Missionaries Sexually Abuse Nuns
: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010320/ts/vatican_abuse_dc_3.html

I like the unintentional play on words that starts it off: "The Vatican
acknowledged Tuesday a damning report ..."

chris 'fufas' grace

Mar 21, 2001, 4:59:57 PM3/21/01

And, interestingly, makes the original statement about special areas
in graveyards at least a 'P'. I wonder how we could research it
further. There's a convent up the road - I think I'll look in the
graveyard.