Urine on Mints

瀏覽次數:52 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Frank Raymond Michaels

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

Sn...@snake.com (Jake the Snake) wrote:

>My buddy has told me about 27 times that the complimentry mints next to
>the cash register at retaurants tend to be contaminated with urine(he
>claims this has been verified scientificaly). It works like this; guys go
>the toilet before they leave and fail to wash their hands and then grab a
>few mints.

AFU FAQ: "Fb.Restaurant mints are pissy because patrons don't wash
after going to the loo."

According to the AFU FAQ, your friend is mistaken; complementary mints
are safe to eat and "non-pissy". Individual instances of contaminated
mints may have taken place, but I think the tip here is if it *smells*
like urine, *don't* eat it. Think of your own toiletry habits: how
often do you pee all over your fingers in the can? And if you do by
accident, do fail to wash -- or at least wipe them dry? Once they're
dry it's very difficult to transfer urine to a mint (which is also
dry) in casual handling. You're more likely to get mint-dust on your
fingers than urine-residue on the mints.

The listing for this UL and many other common ULs are found in the
Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ) of this newsgroup, which is found at:

http://www.urbanlegends.com/afu.faq

There's a search engine for finding specific legends and topics.
(Take a tip from a fellow newbie -- It is considered proper AFU
netiquette to review the FAQ before posting a question).

Links exist to fuller, in-depth explanations are available for some of
the listings. You may also want to check previous postings on this
newsgroup for that topic at http://www.dejanews.com.
Frank "and shake it at least twice" Michaels

JEL

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
urine on mints at restaurant cash registers. The results indicate that
complementary mints have heavy concentrations of uric acid and therefore
indicate that urine was or is present in higher concentrations than
could be explained other than the location of the mints and the nearness
of the toilets have a positive correlation.

Lee Rudolph

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

JEL <jo...@ime.net> writes (after 37 quoted lines--maybe not quite
*all* necessary):

>The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
>American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
>studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
>urine on mints at restaurant cash registers. The results indicate that
>complementary mints have heavy concentrations of uric acid and therefore
>indicate that urine was or is present in higher concentrations than
>could be explained other than the location of the mints and the nearness
>of the toilets have a positive correlation.

Excellent information! Now, if you could please oblige with a
specific citation to JAMA (year, volume, page number, that kind
of thing), we'd be well on our way to correcting that home faq
page.

Without a specific citation, of course, incanting "JAMA!" is
nothing but magic.

Lee Rudolph

Philo

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

On Wed, 01 Jan 1997 13:49:59 -0500, JEL <jo...@ime.net> wrote:

>The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
>American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
>studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
>urine on mints at restaurant cash registers. The results indicate that
>complementary mints have heavy concentrations of uric acid and therefore
>indicate that urine was or is present in higher concentrations than
>could be explained other than the location of the mints and the nearness
>of the toilets have a positive correlation.

Okay, in the realm of 8ish on the grossness scale, why does it matter?
What are the odds of disease getting transferred this way? (Isn't
there a germs on toilet seats section in the FAQ?). If you don't get
tooth herpes from the mints, and can't taste any difference ("Hey,
this tastes like a guy's dick!" is *not* something I'd recommend
anyone of any gender shout in a restaurant), then why do you care? I
rank this with the "worms in Wendy's hamburgers" and "roach particles
in flour" issues: if it gives you the crawling willies, avoid the
stuff. Otherwise, does it really make any difference to the food?

And if you're thinking "I just don't want it in my mouth", well, do
you ever kiss your girlfriend (hint: you may not be the first...)?

Philo "predicting a lot of breakups today" NLN
ph...@radix.net
Keep your children short on pocket money-
but long on hugs.
-Lazarus Long

Angus Johnston

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

JEL <jo...@ime.net> writes:

> The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
> American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
> studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
> urine on mints at restaurant cash registers. The results indicate that
> complementary mints have heavy concentrations of uric acid and therefore
> indicate that urine was or is present in higher concentrations than
> could be explained other than the location of the mints and the nearness
> of the toilets have a positive correlation.

If you've got a cite to that article in the JAMA, post it. If you've
got information about the approximate date on which it appeared, post
that, and maybe one of us will be able to find it. But until then, your
contention that "JAMA said" is no more compelling than the original
"studies said."

--
Angus Johnston

Jake the Snake

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

Larry Preuss

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

In article <32CAB1...@ime.net>, jo...@ime.net wrote:

> The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
> American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
> studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
> urine on mints at restaurant cash registers. The results indicate that
> complementary mints have heavy concentrations of uric acid and therefore
> indicate that urine was or is present in higher concentrations than
> could be explained other than the location of the mints and the nearness
> of the toilets have a positive correlation.

You know the routine. JEL. The FAQ is not sacrosanct, but unless you
will go to the trouble of producing specific citations (JAMA - what volume
and number, or date, page) we will be loathe to accept your assertion, and
will likely stick with said FAQ.
I would really like to read that JAMA article. Write again when you have
the numbers.
Larry

--

jjoh...@asrr.arsusda.gov

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

In article <32CAB1...@ime.net>,
jo...@ime.net wrote:

[much snipped to get to:]

> The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
> American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
> studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
> urine on mints at restaurant cash registers.

I took myself over to Healthgate and did a Medline search, using various
combinations of "restaurant", "mint", "urine", "contamination", "candy", "JAMA",
and "uric", and could find no article that fits the above. Be a dear and
provide a cite, please.

Judy "IJLS, DAMS" Johnson

Ian A. York

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

In article <32CAB1...@ime.net>, JEL <jo...@ime.net> wrote:

>The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
>American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
>studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
>urine on mints at restaurant cash registers. The results indicate that

Can you give me a cite? I can't find anything that might be the study you
mention. There is, of course, no journal called the Journal of the
American Medical Association (the proper name is JAMA). Here's what I
found when I did a search on some of the plausible terms:

Medline <1966 to December 1996>
1 x jama.jn. x 39783
2 x mints.tw. x 18
3 x mint.tw. x 80
4 x 2 or 3 x 95
5 x 1 and 4 x 0
6 x urine.tw. x 73264
7 x 1 and 6 x 156
8 x uric acid.tw. x 6524
9 x 1 and 8 x 32
10 x restaurant.tw. x 328
11 x restaurants.tw. x 264
12 x 10 or 11 x 543
13 x 1 and 12 x 13

Although some of the combinations pulled up some references, none of those
turned out to be relevant. I also looked through all the "mint/mints"
references (i.e. no longer limiting them to just the JAMA articles).
Nothing relevant there either.

Can you be more specific with your evidence?

Ian
--
Ian York (iay...@panix.com) <http://www.panix.com/~iayork/>

Drew Lawson

未讀,
1997年1月1日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/1
收件者:

In article <32ccbf3d...@news1.radix.net>, ph...@radix.net (Philo) wrote:

> Okay, in the realm of 8ish on the grossness scale, why does it matter?

Valid question, but not too meaningful in AFU.

Why does it matter whether the Neiman-Marcus cookies are real (unless
you own NM stock). People put the most effort into thinking about (and
being motivated by) things that JUST DON'T MATTER,

> What are the odds of disease getting transferred this way?

I believe you just revived the "urine is sterile" thread.

> And if you're thinking "I just don't want it in my mouth", well, do
> you ever kiss your girlfriend (hint: you may not be the first...)?

Some things are best enjoyed without thinking about them.

Drew "are you saying that my
girlfriend has urine on her mints?" Lawson

--
| I have no genitalia
Drew Lawson | I sold my kids for cheese
dla...@aimnet.com | I love my blow-up doll, so
| bring out those cameras, please

Barbara Mikkelson

未讀,
1997年1月2日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/2
收件者:

Lee Rudolph <lrud...@panix.com> wrote:

> Without a specific citation, of course, incanting "JAMA!" is nothing
> but magic.

Yes, but if he threw a bash and invited his father....

Barbara "pa-JAMA party!" Mikkelson
--
Barbara Mikkelson | A number of weasels were spotted on the
bha...@fas.harvard.edu | sidewalk after they had walked under a
| painter's ladder. - Don Erickson
View a random urban legend --> http://www.best.com/~snopes/randomul.cgi

JEL

未讀,
1997年1月2日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/2
收件者:

jjoh...@asrr.arsusda.gov wrote:

> In article <32CAB1...@ime.net>,
> jo...@ime.net wrote:
>
> [much snipped to get to:]
>
> > The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
> > American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
> > studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
> > urine on mints at restaurant cash registers.
>
> I took myself over to Healthgate and did a Medline search, using various
> combinations of "restaurant", "mint", "urine", "contamination", "candy", "JAMA",
> and "uric", and could find no article that fits the above. Be a dear and
> provide a cite, please.
>
> Judy "IJLS, DAMS" Johnson

Now you know how urban legends are born, bred and cared for.

mrgo...@beer.com

未讀,
1997年1月2日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/2
收件者:

In article <Snake-01019...@pppa555.pppp.ap.so-net.or.jp>,

Sn...@snake.com (Jake the Snake) wrote:

Actually,we make them from the mint scented urinal cakes. Don't worry, though, they're perfectly safe.

John Ritson

未讀,
1997年1月2日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/2
收件者:

In article <32CBBC...@ime.net>, JEL <jo...@ime.net> writes

>> > The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
>> > American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
>> > studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
>> > urine on mints at restaurant cash registers.
>>
>> I took myself over to Healthgate and did a Medline search, using various
>> combinations of "restaurant", "mint", "urine", "contamination", "candy",
>"JAMA",
>> and "uric", and could find no article that fits the above. Be a dear and
>> provide a cite, please.
>>
>> Judy "IJLS, DAMS" Johnson
>> -------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
>> http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet
>
>Now you know how urban legends are born, bred and cared for.

In the UKoGBaNI the UL is slightly different. It refers to a bowl of
peanuts on a pub counter, tested by a local authority public health
department and found to have traces of urine from at least six different
people. I've heard of blood typing and tissue typing but urine typing? -
(insert 'Spinal Tap' references to vomit typing here).

John

Philo

未讀,
1997年1月3日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/3
收件者:

On Thu, 02 Jan 1997 17:00:28 -0400, star...@usa.net (Margaret) wrote:

>A group of friends and I did a survey of host/hostesses at are restraunts
>about wheather or not people actually used the shovels...98% said 'mainly
>only when they think employees are looking'.
>
>I just avoid them all together, except the jelly filled ones, which I think
>may be filled with a mind altering substance.

jelly filled shovels?

Philo "cream-filled post hole diggers" NLN
ph...@radix.net
If you're out on that wire,
you might as well dance!
-Quarterflash

Drew Lawson

未讀,
1997年1月3日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/3
收件者:

In article <qMf0CDAW...@jritson.demon.co.uk>, John Ritson
<jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In the UKoGBaNI the UL is slightly different. It refers to a bowl of
> peanuts on a pub counter, tested by a local authority public health
> department and found to have traces of urine from at least six different
> people. I've heard of blood typing and tissue typing but urine typing? -

I always wondered why this one never referenced beer nuts.
I guess I was ahead of my time.

The interesting thing to me is that it seems to have assimilated the
"vomited semen" UL's six people.

Drew "pass the nuts, please" Lawson

--
| I will crawl through my past
Drew Lawson | over stones, blood and glass
dla...@aimnet.com | in the ruins

TMO/FSO/SWRC

未讀,
1997年1月3日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/3
收件者:

Drew Lawson wrote:

> In article <qMf0CDAW...@jritson.demon.co.uk>, John Ritson
> <jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In the UKoGBaNI the UL is slightly different. It refers to a bowl of
> > peanuts on a pub counter, tested by a local authority public health
> > department and found to have traces of urine from at least six different
>
> I always wondered why this one never referenced beer nuts.
> I guess I was ahead of my time.

The felon(s) copped a plea of guilty, but noted for posterity and
potential emulators how noticeable it was to carry about a milking stool
to stand upon when assaying over-counter micturation upon mints/peanuts/
beernuts/pigs trotters/or down the bartender's leg/etc. He/She/They
also proclaimed the efficacy of a long full skirt in concealing what
otherwise was a highly noticeable activity and how much it helped to
carry a boom box with a tape of Niagara Falls at full spate playing
loudly to cover the sounds of splashing. Watch out for women in full
skirts carrying milking stools and boom boxes.

So if Barbara comes in your pub so dressed and equipped, forego the
mints or nuts.

el pelon sinverguenza/T. Oliver/swr...@iamerica.net

- - - - DE PROFVNDIS EVOCATVS - - - -

Mike Holmans

未讀,
1997年1月4日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/4
收件者:

JEL <jo...@ime.net> treated us to:

>jjoh...@asrr.arsusda.gov wrote:
>>
>> In article <32CAB1...@ime.net>,
>> jo...@ime.net wrote:
>>
>> [much snipped to get to:]
>>

>> > The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
>> > American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
>> > studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
>> > urine on mints at restaurant cash registers.
>>
>> I took myself over to Healthgate and did a Medline search, using various
>> combinations of "restaurant", "mint", "urine", "contamination", "candy", "JAMA",
>> and "uric", and could find no article that fits the above. Be a dear and
>> provide a cite, please.
>>

>Now you know how urban legends are born, bred and cared for.

And now I know that you, JEL, are a shameless vector and/or troller,
and there is no point in reading any of your posts to this froup ever
again because nothing you say can ever be regarded as trustworthy.

Mike *plonk* Holmans

Morbidia I

未讀,
1997年1月4日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/4
收件者:

>> In article <32CAB1...@ime.net>,
>> jo...@ime.net wrote:
>>
>> [much snipped to get to:]
>>
>> > The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of the
>> > American Medical Association. This journal categorically states that
>> > studies were done specifically to prove or dis-prove the existence of
>> > urine on mints at restaurant cash registers.

A tip off that the article in JAMA is "iffy" is the fact that they were
said to be testing for uric acid. In fact, the primary form of
nitrogenous waste in mammalian urine (except for some dogs and desert
dwelling rodents) is urea (for cite try Mader or any other fairly
comprehensive intro bio textbook, biochemistry text, etc.). Uric acid is
far less soluble than urea; it tends to precipitate out of solution and
crystallize in joints (ever hear of gout?). Presuming that the
"scientists" were looking for evidence of human urine on mints, one would
think that they would be looking for the more common component. Then
again, anyone (even those of only moderate competence) can call themselves
a researcher.

Sig pending verification of species

Terry Smith

未讀,
1997年1月11日 凌晨3:00:001997/1/11
收件者:

> From: JEL <jo...@ime.net>

> Frank Raymond Michaels wrote:
>
> Sn...@snake.com (Jake the Snake) wrote:
>
> >My buddy has told me about 27 times that the complimentry
mints next to

> According to the AFU FAQ, your friend is mistaken;
complementary mints
> are safe to eat and "non-pissy". Individual instances of
contaminated

> The urban folklore home faq page differs from the Journal of

the
> American Medical Association. This journal categorically
states

It does. The FAQ has a URL, whereas the JAMA has volume and page
numbers. There is a high correlation between competence to open
the covers of the latter and knowledge of the correct methods of
tendering articles from the journal as a reference.

Your inability to demonstrate your knowledge of these arcane
mysteries leaves a distinctly bad taste in the mouth. Piss in
someone else's bowl.

Terry "You're all piss and wind" Smith.
--
|Fidonet: Terry Smith 3:800/846.23