Interesting Facts

Don Aitken

Jun 15, 2001, 5:41:06 PM6/15/01
This seems to be circulating around the net. A few old favorites, but
many are new to me. Not many really qualify as ULs but I was intrigued
by 25, 28, 38, 45 and 50.

THINGS YOU DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW BUT
ARE INTERESTING... 1- Rubber bands last longer when
refrigerated. 2- Peanuts are one of the ingredients of
dynamite. 3- There are 293 ways to make change for a
dollar. 4- The average person's left hand does 56% of the
typing. 5- A shark is the only fish that can blink with both
eyes. 6- There are more chickens than people in the world.
7- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is
"screeched." 8- On a Canadian two-dollar bill, the flag
flying over the Parliament building is an American flag. 9-
All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on
4:20. 10- No word in the English language rhymes with
month, orange, silver or purple. 11- "Dreamt" is the only
English word that ends in the letters "mt". 12- Almonds are
a member of the peach family. 13- There are only 4 words in
the English language which end in "dous": tremendous,
horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous. 14- A cat has 32
muscles in each ear. 15- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its
brain. 16- Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur. 17-
In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is
10:10. 18- Al Capone's business card said he was a used
furniture dealer. 19- The characters Bert & Ernie on Sesame
Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi
driver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life." 20- A
dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours. 21- A goldfish has a
memory span of 3 seconds. 22- It's impossible to sneeze
with your eyes open. 23- The giant squid has the largest
eyes in the world. 24- In England, the Speaker of the House
is not allowed to speak. 25- The microwave was invented
after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar
melted in his pocket. 26- The average person falls asleep in
seven minutes. 27- There are 336 dimples on a regulation
golf ball. 28- The average human eats 8 spiders in their
lifetime at night. 29- A cockroach can live nine days without
its head before it starves to death. 30- A polar bear's skin is
black. Its fur is not white, but actually clear. 31- Elvis had a
twin brother named Aaron, who died at birth, which is why
Elvis' middle name was spelled Aron: in honor of his
brother. It is also misspelled on his tomb stone. 32- Donald
Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't
wear pants. 33- More people are killed by donkeys annually
than are killed in plane crashes. 34- Stewardesses is the
longest word typed with only the left hand. 35- Shakespeare
invented the words "assassination" and "bump." 36- Marilyn
Monroe had 6 toes on one foot. 37- If you keep a goldfish in
the dark room, it will eventually turn white. 38- Women
blink nearly twice as much as men. 39- Right-handed people
live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people
do. 40- The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the
lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language. 41- The
names of the continents all end with the same letter with
which they start. 42- TYPEWRITER is the longest word
that can be made using the letters on only one row of the
keyboard. 43- The word racecar and kayak are the same
whether they are read left to right or right to left. 44- A snail
can sleep for 3 years. 45- American Airlines saved $40,000
in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in
first-class. 46- The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
47- Vatican City is the smallest country in the world with a
population of 1,000 and a size of 108.7 acres. 48- "I am." Is
the shortest complete sentence in the English language. 49-
No president of the United states was an only child. 50- The
average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it.

--
Don Aitken

Chris Clarke

Jun 15, 2001, 5:58:02 PM6/15/01
In article <3b2a6782...@news.freeuk.net>,
don-a...@freeuk.com (Don Aitken) wrote:

> This seems to be circulating around the net. A few old favorites, but
> many are new to me. Not many really qualify as ULs but I was intrigued
> by 25, 28, 38, 45 and 50.
>

> 21- A goldfish has a
> memory span of 3 seconds.

Define "memory" -- the goldfish I've had have exhibited life-long memory
of the association between my hand hovering over the water surface and
their impending feeding.

Admittedly, since I've mainly had goldfish as snake food, that life-long
memory only has to last for a couple weeks.

Chris "they also seem to remember the difference between my hand and the
net quite effectively" Clarke

Chris Clarke

Jun 15, 2001, 6:00:35 PM6/15/01
In article <3b2a6782...@news.freeuk.net>,
don-a...@freeuk.com (Don Aitken) wrote:

> 41- The
> names of the continents all end with the same letter with
> which they start.

This item would seem to establish the list's point of origin: the notion
that North and South America make up the continent "America" is a Brit
canard, no?

- C

Chris W.

Jun 15, 2001, 6:18:30 PM6/15/01
Don Aitken wrote:

> This seems to be circulating around the net. A few old favorites, but
> many are new to me. Not many really qualify as ULs but I was intrigued
> by 25, 28, 38, 45 and 50.

> 8- On a Canadian two-dollar bill, the flag

> flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.

I didn't spend much time reading the rest, but this wheelbarrow of cow
manure leapt out at me. How many of the rest of them are also bullshit?

Chris Webb

Adam Weishaupt

Jun 15, 2001, 6:22:52 PM6/15/01
don-a...@freeuk.com (Don Aitken) wrote in
<3b2a6782...@news.freeuk.net>:

>24- In England, the Speaker of the House
>is not allowed to speak.

^^^
Horse crap. Anywho, the Parliament at Westminster is the Parliament of
Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

--
Rev. x-bow of the Universal Life Church
Will conduct baptisms, weddings and funerals for bandwidth*.

muSop cowlIj tIn 'e' yIchaw'Qo'

Ragnar

Jun 15, 2001, 6:36:08 PM6/15/01

"Don Aitken" <don-a...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

> This seems to be circulating around the net. A few old favorites, but
> many are new to me. Not many really qualify as ULs but I was intrigued
> by 25, 28, 38, 45 and 50.

Most of these are rather silly - and wrong.

> THINGS YOU DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW BUT
> ARE INTERESTING... 1- Rubber bands last longer when
> refrigerated.

Really? The ones on the counter holding the potato chip bag closed have
lasted over a year (not on the same bag), while the ones in the fridge
holding the salad bag closed have what looks like ozone deterioration cracks
and they break really easy.

>5- A shark is the only fish that can blink with both
> eyes.

Sharks aren't fish.

>8- On a Canadian two-dollar bill, the flag
> flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.

Nope, its the old "Maple Ensign", which pre-dates the current Canadian flag.
In fact, most demoninations of Canadian paper money have a historic flag on
them; which one is based on the personage on the front.

> 13- There are only 4 words in
> the English language which end in "dous": tremendous,
> horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

According to: http://www.salon.com/weekly/verb960624.html

At least 32 additional dous words repose in various dictionaries: apodous,
antropodous, blizzardous, cogitabundous, decapodous, frondous, gastropodous,
heteropodous, hybridous, iodous, isopodous, jeopardous, lagopodous,
lignipodous, molybdous, mucidous, multifidous, nefandous, nodous,
octapodous, palladous, paludous, pudendous, repandous, rhodous, sauropodous,
staganopodous, tetrapodous, thamphipodous, tylopodous, vanadous and
voudous.

>27- There are 336 dimples on a regulation
> golf ball.

Which regulations? According to the USGA Conforming Ball list, www.usga.org
, it varies from 336 to 402 to 432 to 440, etc.

>28- The average human eats 8 spiders in their
> lifetime at night.

Whats so hard to believe about that? If you sleep with your mouth open,
stuff happens.

> 50- The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it.

There happen to be USDA standards on food products. They do include
allowable amounts of foreign matter, including rat poop and insect parts.

Ragnar

Chris Clarke

Jun 15, 2001, 6:54:03 PM6/15/01
In article <s5wW6.8256$aV1.7...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"Ragnar" <rwo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >5- A shark is the only fish that can blink with both
> > eyes.
>
> Sharks aren't fish.

Cite?

They aren't *bony* fish, to be sure. However, the category "fish" isn't
monophyletic. It essentially consists of aquatic vertebrates that aren't
mammals, reptiles, birds, or amphibs. The osteichthyes (bony fish) are
regularly called "true fish," but I'm not aware of anyone in the trade
who denies sharks, rays and skates the name "fish" just because they're
not "true fish." Same with eels and lampreys/hagfish, who are aquatic
vertebrates not belonging to the chondrichthyes or bony fish, but
they're still "fish."

Caroline Brown

Jun 15, 2001, 7:19:06 PM6/15/01

"Ragnar" <rwo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Don Aitken" <don-a...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

> >5- A shark is the only fish that can blink with both

> > eyes.
>
> Sharks aren't fish.

What do you call them then?

According to my dictionary sharks are 'voracious fishes with fusiform body
lateral gill-slits and mouth on the underside. It doesn't say whether/how
they blink, but I wouldn't expect that - it's not a wildlife book.

Caroline

Donna Richoux

Jun 15, 2001, 7:36:38 PM6/15/01
Ragnar <rwo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Don Aitken" <don-a...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

> >5- A shark is the only fish that can blink with both

> > eyes.
>
> Sharks aren't fish.

Yes, they are. "Fish" is not a taxonomic classification, but a common
name applied to three quite different groups of animals. This was
discussed in 1998 in a.u.e, and Amicus Constantini <co...@novaroma.gov>

--
Donna "Who let the shark out?" Richoux

Ragnar

Jun 15, 2001, 10:38:13 PM6/15/01
"Chris Clarke" <ccl...@faultline.org> wrote in message

OK, sharks aren't "true fish", but they are in different orders and are
about as different from "true fish" as spiders are from insects.

Given the similarities, I think you are right, and I am mistaken. Thanks
for the save.

Ragnar

Ragnar

Jun 15, 2001, 10:38:58 PM6/15/01

"Caroline Brown" <DieSp...@dev.null> wrote in message
See the above post in this thread. Its already been taken care of.

Ragnar

Jun 15, 2001, 10:40:02 PM6/15/01

"Donna Richoux" <tr...@euronet.nl> wrote in message

Its already been beat to death. See above post by Chris Clarke.

keith lim

Jun 15, 2001, 11:10:36 PM6/15/01
Chris Clarke <ccl...@faultline.org> wrote:

> Define "memory" -- the goldfish I've had have exhibited life-long memory
> of the association between my hand hovering over the water surface and
> their impending feeding.

> Chris "they also seem to remember the difference between my hand and the
> net quite effectively" Clarke

Ok, now what if you regularly use the net to pour food into the tank?

keith "stupid pet experiments" lim

--
keith lim keit...@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~keithlim/
People do strange things. --Nathan Tenny

Jeff Zahn

Jun 16, 2001, 2:15:05 AM6/16/01
Don Aitken wrote:

> This seems to be circulating around the net. A few old favorites, but
> many are new to me. Not many really qualify as ULs but I was intrigued
> by 25, 28, 38, 45 and 50.

[snippage]

> 48- "I am." Is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

Oh.

--
Jeff "elliptical" Zahn

Charles A Lieberman

Jun 16, 2001, 10:32:34 AM6/16/01
In article <3b2a6782...@news.freeuk.net>,
don-a...@freeuk.com (Don Aitken) wrote:

> 15- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its
> brain.

If true, so what?

> 19- The characters Bert & Ernie on Sesame
> Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi
> driver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life."

Not so, says the IMDb.

> 35- Shakespeare
> invented the words "assassination" and "bump."

Well, there's invention and there's invention. Obviously he didn't
create either word out of whole cloth. We can't know that he was the
first person ever to use the words in English. Or, for that matter, the
first to write them down. We just know that we haven't seen where anyone
else did first.

> 40- The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the
> lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

To whom is this interesting? This occasionally crops up on these lists,
but I don't know why. No one over the age of 7 is going to impress their
friends with this nugget of information. Well, maybe if the friends
arent over 7.

> 43- The word racecar and kayak are the same
> whether they are read left to right or right to left.

This is another one that's less than impressive somehow.

HWM

Jun 16, 2001, 2:42:19 PM6/16/01
"Chris W." wrote:

> I didn't spend much time reading the rest, but this wheelbarrow of cow
> manure leapt out at me. How many of the rest of them are also bullshit?

Donald Duck's pants are mine.

--
Cheers, HWM | I could be bounded in a nut-shell, and |
hen...@iobox.fi | count myself a king of infinite space, |

Matthew W. Miller

Jun 18, 2001, 1:45:41 AM6/18/01
On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 02:15:05 -0400, Jeff Zahn <jz...@pipeline.com> wrote:
>Don Aitken quoted a list of items of questionable veracity (sic):

>> 48- "I am." Is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
>Oh.

That's an interjection. HTH.
--
Matthew W. Miller -- mwmi...@columbus.rr.com

D.M. Procida

Jun 18, 2001, 7:16:50 AM6/18/01
Matthew W. Miller <mwmi...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> >> 48- "I am." Is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

> >Oh.

So?

D.M. Procida
--
A multipart copy & paste encyclopaedia of popular music for you to keep
30. "Love Me Do" contains a total of seventeen different words (love,

Jay R. Ashworth

Jun 18, 2001, 11:33:14 AM6/18/01
*Right* in the middle of the appendectomy, Matthew W. Miller turned

to Hawkeye and me and said:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 02:15:05 -0400, Jeff Zahn <jz...@pipeline.com> wrote:
> >Don Aitken quoted a list of items of questionable veracity (sic):
> >> 48- "I am." Is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
> >Oh.
>
> That's an interjection. HTH.

Yes?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth j...@baylink.com
Member of the Technical Staff Baylink

OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

Charles A Lieberman

Jun 18, 2001, 11:51:21 AM6/18/01
Chris W. Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:18:30 GMT
<3B2A88E8...@usa.net>

>> 8- On a Canadian two-dollar bill, the flag
>> flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
>
>I didn't spend much time reading the rest, but this wheelbarrow of cow
>manure leapt out at me. How many of the rest of them are also bullshit?

It occurs to me that if by "America" you mean the continent(s) with that
name, this is accurate.

Charles "not that anyone ever does" Lieberman
--
Charles A. Lieberman | "They do not mislay legitimate sons."
Brooklyn, New York, USA | -Timothy McDaniel, to whom neatness counts

Phil Gustafson

Jun 18, 2001, 1:23:20 PM6/18/01
{$usenet$}@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) writes:

>> >Oh.
>
>So?

I!

--
Phil Gustafson <ph...@panix.com>

There is a tarantula in the song, of course. I remember when you
could ask your grocer to save one for you. -- Casady

Sherilyn

Jun 18, 2001, 5:29:23 PM6/18/01
In Message-ID <3b2a6782...@news.freeuk.net>,

Don Aitken <don-a...@freeuk.com> wrote:
>This seems to be circulating around the net. A few old favorites, but
>many are new to me. Not many really qualify as ULs but I was intrigued
>by 25, 28, 38, 45 and 50.
>
>THINGS YOU DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW BUT
>ARE INTERESTING...
>24- In England, the Speaker of the House
>is not allowed to speak.

This is a half truth. The Speaker is not permitted to make a
speech during debates on the floor of the House. In reality, he
or she spends a good part of the debate bellowing "Order". My
favorite bit of House of Commons procedure is the donning of an
ancient opera hat by a member wishing to raise a point of order.
There's an old procedural rule from the time when all men wore
hats, that no point of order can be raised by a hatless member
in the chamber, so the opera hat is kept for that sole purpose.
I think this is sent up in one of the ancient Python sketches.
[...]
--
Sherilyn
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California; do not

Freddy Letrange

Jun 18, 2001, 9:28:09 PM6/18/01
Don Aitken ah dee:

|>The longest one-syllable word in the English language is
|>"screeched."

Hmmmmmmmmm... KOFF KOFF HACK HACK KOFF ('scuuuuuuse me -- too many Camel
Straights) -- arguing is not one of my strengths; still, with all due respect,
I have to say that you seem to have stretched the truth and then scrunched
what you have scrounged up into an itty bitty ball, with which, I fear, you
have inadequately staunched the flow of blood from your swordfall. I am
beside myself: wheeeeeeee!

|>"I am." Is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

Oh? [1] 'Tis? Can you prove it? Do.

No? Ha!

Go!

[1] "this sentence no ____"
- David DeLaney on afu, 1999/03/14

- "Freddy 'Understood.' Letrange"

--
Till the foul crimes done in my days of nature/Are burnt and purg'd away,
Canst thou not send email to "Freddy" at the foul crimes oddfred done

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Jun 18, 2001, 9:40:30 PM6/18/01
Don Aitken wrote:

> This seems to be circulating around the net. A few old favorites, but
> many are new to me. Not many really qualify as ULs but I was intrigued
> by 25, 28, 38, 45 and 50.
>
> THINGS YOU DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW BUT

> 20- A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.

Bullshit. Several refutations available, but start with
this one:

http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/faq.htm#lifespan
"At the shortest, a dragonfly's life-cycle from egg to
death of adult is about 6 months. Some of the larger
dragonflies take 6 or 7 years! Most of this time
is spent in the larval form, beneath the water surface,
catching other invertebrates. The small damselflies
live for a couple of weeks as free-flying adults. The
larger dragonflies can live for 4 months in their flying
stage. In Britain, lucky Damsels seldom go more than
two weeks and Dragons more than two months. Most
Damsels rarely go more than a week, and
Dragons two or three weeks. They die from
accidents and
predation, and large numbers from starvation - in
poor weather neither they nor their prey can fly.
No insect has a lifespan of only one day"

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Stranger than Fiction

Jun 18, 2001, 11:33:32 PM6/18/01

It seems to me Junebugs don't last long. I find plenty of dead ones
every morning. But I can't vouch for how old they are, just how icky.

In article <3B2EAD8E...@snet.net>, "Charles Wm. Dimmick"

Chris Clarke

Jun 19, 2001, 1:48:34 PM6/19/01
in article 3B2EAD8E...@snet.net, Charles Wm. Dimmick at
cdim...@snet.net wrote on 6/18/01 5:40 PM:

> Don Aitken wrote:
>>
>> This seems to be circulating around the net. A few old favorites, but
>> many are new to me. Not many really qualify as ULs but I was intrigued
>> by 25, 28, 38, 45 and 50.
>>
>> THINGS YOU DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW BUT
>
>> 20- A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.
>
> Bullshit. Several refutations available, but start with
> this one:
>
> http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/faq.htm#lifespan

Sounds like someone confused dragonflies with mayflies, and the vaguely
remembered old canard about mayflies living for but a day.

obDeDuck-tion: some mayfly adults live for about a day, but they generally
live for a respectable amount of time as larvae.

Chris "imago" Clarke

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Jun 19, 2001, 4:09:42 PM6/19/01
Sherilyn wrote:

> In Message-ID <3b2a6782...@news.freeuk.net>,
> Don Aitken <don-a...@freeuk.com> wrote:
> >This seems to be circulating around the net. A few old favorites, but
> >many are new to me. Not many really qualify as ULs but I was intrigued
> >by 25, 28, 38, 45 and 50.
> >
> >THINGS YOU DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW BUT
> >ARE INTERESTING...
> >24- In England, the Speaker of the House
> >is not allowed to speak.
>
> This is a half truth. The Speaker is not permitted to make a
> speech during debates on the floor of the House.

Well, of course not. The Speaker is, I presume, chairing
the session. Here in the US of A, which derived its rules
of parliamentary procedure from the mother of Parliaments,
the chair of a session is not allowed to make a speech
during debate either, unless, on rare occasions, he/she
relinquishes the chair to another member and then moves
to a position among the assembly from which he/she may
speak as an ordinary member of the assembly.

Charles Wm. Dimmick
memb. NAP

Narcissa

Jun 19, 2001, 5:02:10 PM6/19/01
Charles A Lieberman <cali...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<calieber-2EECB2...@news.cc.columbia.edu>...

The only mildly interesting part is that they didn't use the word
"palindrome." Of course, "interesting" itself is subjective.

Narcissa

Phil Edwards

Jun 19, 2001, 5:30:24 PM6/19/01
On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:19:06 GMT, "Caroline Brown"
<DieSp...@dev.null> wrote:

>According to my dictionary sharks are 'voracious fishes with fusiform body
>lateral gill-slits and mouth on the underside. It doesn't say whether/how
>they blink, but I wouldn't expect that - it's not a wildlife book.

And yet you're willing to take its word on their... never mind.

Phil "never met a shark I didn't believe" Edwards
--
Phil Edwards http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/amroth/
"Scary thought: a muscled-up ferret with a flick-knife.

Simon Slavin

Jun 21, 2001, 7:12:54 PM6/21/01
In article <3B2FB186...@snet.net>,

"Charles Wm. Dimmick" <cdim...@snet.net> wrote:

> Sherilyn wrote:
> >
> > >THINGS YOU DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW BUT
> > >ARE INTERESTING...
> > >24- In England, the Speaker of the House
> > >is not allowed to speak.
> >
> > This is a half truth. The Speaker is not permitted to make a
> > speech during debates on the floor of the House.
>
> Well, of course not. The Speaker is, I presume, chairing
> the session. Here in the US of A, which derived its rules
> of parliamentary procedure from the mother of Parliaments,
> the chair of a session is not allowed to make a speech
> during debate either, unless, on rare occasions, he/she
> relinquishes the chair to another member and then moves
> to a position among the assembly from which he/she may
> speak as an ordinary member of the assembly.

The only bit about rule 24 which makes it interesting is that
it points out that the traditional name for the 'chairman' of
the lower house of parliament is 'Speaker'.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk | A truly secure password algorithm also has
No junk email please. | to check for the Post-It Note (TM) on the
| monitor. -- Jim Esler
Mac OS X. Because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows.

:-)

Jun 21, 2001, 8:14:11 PM6/21/01
On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 00:12:54 +0100,
sla...@hearsay.demon.co.uk@localhost (Simon Slavin) wrote:

>In article <3B2FB186...@snet.net>,

>> > This is a half truth. The Speaker is not permitted to make a
>> > speech during debates on the floor of the House.
>>
>> Well, of course not. The Speaker is, I presume, chairing
>> the session. Here in the US of A, which derived its rules
>> of parliamentary procedure from the mother of Parliaments,
>> the chair of a session is not allowed to make a speech
>> during debate either, unless, on rare occasions, he/she
>> relinquishes the chair to another member and then moves
>> to a position among the assembly from which he/she may
>> speak as an ordinary member of the assembly.
>
>The only bit about rule 24 which makes it interesting is that
>it points out that the traditional name for the 'chairman' of
>the lower house of parliament is 'Speaker'.

Simon, that's not very interesting.

Chris W.

Jun 25, 2001, 4:07:09 PM6/25/01
Charles A Lieberman wrote:

> Chris W. Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:18:30 GMT
> <3B2A88E8...@usa.net>
> >> 8- On a Canadian two-dollar bill, the flag
> >> flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
> >
> >I didn't spend much time reading the rest, but this wheelbarrow of cow
> >manure leapt out at me. How many of the rest of them are also bullshit?
>
> It occurs to me that if by "America" you mean the continent(s) with that
> name, this is accurate.
>
> Charles "not that anyone ever does" Lieberman

Since when did the Canadian Red Ensign represent the continent(s) of
America? Or are you saying that a flag flown on any particular
continent is that continent's flag, therefore the Union Jack is really
the European flag?

Chris "searching headers for bobbers" Webb

Chris Clarke

Jun 25, 2001, 5:28:39 PM6/25/01
in article 3B37990C...@usa.net, Chris W. at chri...@usa.net wrote on
6/25/01 12:07 PM:

> Charles A Lieberman wrote:
>>
>> Chris W. Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:18:30 GMT
>> <3B2A88E8...@usa.net>
>>

>> It occurs to me that if by "America" you mean the continent(s) with that
>> name, this is accurate.
>>
>> Charles "not that anyone ever does" Lieberman
>
> Since when did the Canadian Red Ensign represent the continent(s) of
> America? Or are you saying that a flag flown on any particular
> continent is that continent's flag, therefore the Union Jack is really
> the European flag?
>
> Chris "searching headers for bobbers" Webb

NB the phrasing. Not "the American Flag" but "an American flag." That cool
one with the eagle and the snake is also an American flag.

Chris "Progreso E Ordem" Clarke

obExplanation: I generally think the "no posts with more quoted than new
text" rule is a good one, and don't mind my own version of SSSW enforcing it
at gunpoint. However, I wasn't sure how to trim the quoted text without
making it hard on the reader. So this addendum. My apologies. Hope you have
a really, really, really good day.

Charles A Lieberman

Jun 26, 2001, 10:03:25 AM6/26/01
Chris W. Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:07:09 GMT
<3B37990C...@usa.net>

>Since when did the Canadian Red Ensign represent the continent(s) of
>America?

The original factoid said the flag "is *an* American flag." The flag for
Canada is an American flag. Also the US. Also Brazil. Also Paraguay.
Etc.

--
Charles A. Lieberman | "I have no need for some little lecture from
Brooklyn, New York, USA | you, especially not one in which you are

Charles A Lieberman

Jun 26, 2001, 10:03:31 AM6/26/01
Chris Clarke Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:28:39 -0800
<B75CED07.1243%ccl...@osrmail.ucsf.edu>

>Chris "Progreso E Ordem" Clarke

Interesting how in our independently composed replies we both allude to
this flag.

--
Charles A. Lieberman | "Don't poop on the homeless!"
Brooklyn, New York, USA | -Meredith Robbins

Paul Ding (Del FOOBAR to reply)

Jun 26, 2001, 10:16:39 AM6/26/01
On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:07:09 GMT, "Chris W." <chri...@usa.net>
posted a message that said, at least in part:

>> >I didn't spend much time reading the rest, but this wheelbarrow of cow
>> >manure leapt out at me. How many of the rest of them are also bullshit?

>> It occurs to me that if by "America" you mean the continent(s) with that
>> name, this is accurate.

>Since when did the Canadian Red Ensign represent the continent(s) of

>America? Or are you saying that a flag flown on any particular
>continent is that continent's flag, therefore the Union Jack is really
>the European flag?

Seems to me that the union jack is *a* european flag

A lot more sensible that insisting that the stars and stripes is an
unamerican flag.

Chris Clarke

Jun 26, 2001, 11:03:09 AM6/26/01
In article <nt2gjtkfs3k0j4si9...@4ax.com>,

Charles A Lieberman <cali...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Chris Clarke Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:28:39 -0800
> <B75CED07.1243%ccl...@osrmail.ucsf.edu>
> >Chris "Progreso E Ordem" Clarke
>
> Interesting how in our independently composed replies we both allude to
> this flag.

Yeah, that's it. "Independently composed." Yep.

Chris "sure." Clarke

HWM

Jun 26, 2001, 6:11:51 PM6/26/01
"Paul Ding (Del FOOBAR to reply)" wrote:

> A lot more sensible that insisting that the stars and stripes is an
> unamerican flag.

B-b-b-but it is? http://www.unamerican.com

AFU MODERATOR

Jun 26, 2001, 6:23:02 PM6/26/01
Paul Ding (Del FOOBAR to reply wrote:

:On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:07:09 GMT, "Chris W." <chri...@usa.net>

They may take our beef, but they will never take our flag.

FREEDOM FOR SC^H^HENGLAND

Charles A Lieberman

Jun 26, 2001, 10:03:25 AM6/26/01

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: