Dudley Doright meets Y2K

Terry Nielsen

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
A spokesman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Canada's national
police force) today issued a press statement recommending that citizens
stock up on some basic provisions prior to the rollover to Y2K.
Suggestions were one months supply of food and water, and some cash.

The spokesman said that he "didn't want to cause a panic" but felt that
people should be prepared "just in case".

ObTWIAVBP: Dudley Doright = A quite humourous USA'n cartoon from the
early 60's depicting a somewhat dimwitted Canadian Mountie that
nonetheless never failed to get his man. Replete with Canadian
stereotypes.
--
-Terry Nielsen
Maple Ridge, B.C.

Daniel L. Dreibelbis

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98

little known fun fact - also, Dudley Do-Right was banned by the CBC
during "Rocky & Bullwinkle" 's original run, due to complaints about
self-same sterotypes by at-the-time-humourless Canadians.

Dan "nobody here complained about similar stereotypes by Bob & Doug
MacKenzie, who were created in response to the CBC asking for more
Canadian content" Dreibelbis

//////////////////////Daniel L. Dreibelbis//////////////////////
ST/TT/Falcon/8-bit Vice President, Toronto Atari Federation (TAF)
Thorn in the side of all net.twits
email: dre...@idirect.com
///////////////"And yet, the Fuji Lives!" ///////////////////

docW

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
In article <3678A6...@rogers.wave.ca>, Terry Nielsen <tnie...@rogers.wave.ca> says:
> <<<<<<<< snip >>>>>>>>>

>ObTWIAVBP: Dudley Doright = A quite humourous USA'n cartoon from the
>early 60's depicting a somewhat dimwitted Canadian Mountie that
>nonetheless never failed to get his man. Replete with Canadian
>stereotypes.

Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?

Terry Nielsen

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
That one has me stumped too. I have some Bullwinkle videos I'll have to
pull out. I do remember the villian was Snidely Whiplash.

Steve Jones

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Terry Nielsen wrote:

> docW wrote:
> >
> > Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?
> >
> That one has me stumped too. I have some Bullwinkle videos I'll have to
> pull out. I do remember the villian was Snidely Whiplash.

If I remember correctly Dudley's horse was named "Horse".

Steve "Inspector Fenwick" Jones

Bryan Oakley

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Terry Nielsen wrote:

> docW wrote:
> >
> > In article <3678A6...@rogers.wave.ca>, Terry Nielsen <tnie...@rogers.wave.ca> says:
> > > <<<<<<<< snip >>>>>>>>>
> > >ObTWIAVBP: Dudley Doright = A quite humourous USA'n cartoon from the
> > >early 60's depicting a somewhat dimwitted Canadian Mountie that
> > >nonetheless never failed to get his man. Replete with Canadian
> > >stereotypes.
> > >

> > Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?
> >
> That one has me stumped too. I have some Bullwinkle videos I'll have to
> pull out. I do remember the villian was Snidely Whiplash.

And his sweetheart was "Nell", wasn't it?

--
Bryan Oakley mailto:oak...@channelpoint.com
ChannelPoint, Inc. http://purl.oclc.org/net/oakley

Bill Pringle

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98

Steve Jones wrote in message <367932BB...@technettn.com>...

>If I remember correctly Dudley's horse was named "Horse".

That's the way I remember it too. Horse.

Bill Pringle

Jared Hinman

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
dre...@idirect.com (Daniel L. Dreibelbis) writes:

> little known fun fact - also, Dudley Do-Right was banned by the CBC
>during "Rocky & Bullwinkle" 's original run, due to complaints about
>self-same sterotypes by at-the-time-humourless Canadians.

With the CBC that might have meant almost 2 letters of complaint. Right
now I a not sure why our tax dollars need to go to fund the CBC.

Jared Hinman

Ben Walsh

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Jared Hinman wrote in message <75bif7$9a4$1...@pulp.ucs.ualberta.ca>...

>With the CBC that might have meant almost 2 letters of complaint. Right
>now I a not sure why our tax dollars need to go to fund the CBC.

Because otherwise there would have been no "Shivers".

ben "are you suggesting that would be a good thing?" w.

cwp

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
docW wrote:

> Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?

His horse's name was "Horse."
The real question, though, is...
Where did Bullwinkle go to college?

cwp
--
cwpa...@INCORRECTalve.com Guess what to remove to reply.
Now I'm down in the junk on a darkened day

Gordon Baldwin

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
In article <75bh7t$5c1$1...@csunet.ctstateu.edu>,

And the lovely Nell was in love with Horse.

--
Gordon Baldwin gor...@halcyon.com
Olympia Washington http://www.halcyon.com/gordon

Fluffy

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
cwp <cwpa...@INCORRECTalve.com> wrote:
> Where did Bullwinkle go to college?

Wossamotta U.

Mw.,
Fluf `looks like I picked a good day to be reading about Jay Ward' fy
--
"FEAST!"
--Alice

Steve Jones

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
cwp wrote:

> docW wrote:
> >
> > Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?
>
> His horse's name was "Horse."
> The real question, though, is...
> Where did Bullwinkle go to college?

Too easy.

Steve "Wassamatta U." Jones

Leia

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
cwp wrote:

> The real question, though, is...
> Where did Bullwinkle go to college?

Whatsamatta U.?
--
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
L.M.B.

Free-rangin' Chicken

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
cwp wrote:

> docW wrote:
> >
> > Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?
>
> His horse's name was "Horse."

> The real question, though, is...
> Where did Bullwinkle go to college?

I assume that would be "Wotsamattuh U."

So what do I win?

--Deeirrccckk

James Nicoll

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
In article <75bif7$9a4$1...@pulp.ucs.ualberta.ca>,

Jared Hinman <jhi...@gpu5.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>dre...@idirect.com (Daniel L. Dreibelbis) writes:
>
>> little known fun fact - also, Dudley Do-Right was banned by the CBC
>>during "Rocky & Bullwinkle" 's original run, due to complaints about
>>self-same sterotypes by at-the-time-humourless Canadians.
>
>With the CBC that might have meant almost 2 letters of complaint. Right
>now I a not sure why our tax dollars need to go to fund the CBC.

When was the original run? You could see DD-R in Ontario
by the mid to late 1960s.
--
March 20, 1999: Imperiums To Order's 15th Anniversary Party. Guests include
Rob Sawyer [SF author], Jo Walton [game designer and soon to be published

RRS

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Antidisestablishmentarianism wrote:

> There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed

No, no, no. Steed was in The Avengers and he sometimes *rode* horses.

Robin "My Little Pony" Storesund

Andy Walton

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
In article <75bpjm$i...@meow.invalid>, meo...@banet.net (Fluffy) wrote:

:Fluf `looks like I picked a good day to be reading about Jay Ward' fy

EVERY day is a good day for Jay Ward.
--
"The good news is that you're normal. The bad news is that normal is
the one condition there's no treatment for." -- Dr. Laura

Caren Weiner Campbell

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Gordon Baldwin wrote:

[regarding Dudley Doright's girlfriend]

> And the lovely Nell was in love with Horse.

Hmmm--perhaps a veiled reference to Catherine the Great?

--C "but then again, nay" WC
--

Caren Weiner Campbell | carrie...@mindspring.com
Writer and editor | Phone: 212-807-1836

Lon Stowell

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
In article <3679A6...@adelphia.net>, RRS <dez...@adelphia.net> wrote:
>Antidisestablishmentarianism wrote:
>
>> There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed
>
>No, no, no. Steed was in The Avengers and he sometimes *rode* horses.

I'm sorry, but if you must mention the Avengers, you must
mention the exquisite Ms. Rigg.

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
cwp wrote:

> docW wrote:
> >
> > Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?
>
> His horse's name was "Horse."

.
.

There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed

Ray

Terry Nielsen

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
James Nicoll wrote:

> In article <75bif7$9a4$1...@pulp.ucs.ualberta.ca>,
> Jared Hinman <jhi...@gpu5.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> >dre...@idirect.com (Daniel L. Dreibelbis) writes:
> >
> >> little known fun fact - also, Dudley Do-Right was banned by the CBC
> >>during "Rocky & Bullwinkle" 's original run, due to complaints about
> >>self-same sterotypes by at-the-time-humourless Canadians.
>

> When was the original run? You could see DD-R in Ontario
> by the mid to late 1960s.

I don't know about in Canada, but Rocky and Bullwinkle first aired on
ABC in 1959.

James Wallis

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
In article <36799E...@bellsouth.net>, Antidisestablishmentarianism
<wilm...@bellsouth.net> writes

>cwp wrote:
>> docW wrote:
>> >
>> > Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?
>>
>> His horse's name was "Horse."
>
>There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed

Uncanny. For in the poem "The Horse" by Grimble, aged about ten, we find
the lines:

A horse has got more legs than I
But fewer than a centipede
He wears a bridle instead of a tie
And is sometimes called a steed
The End.

Cite: "Grimble" by Clement Freud, before he was Clement Freud MP and
long before he became Lord Freud.

--
James "Grimble for Laureate" Wallis
(ja...@erstwhile.demon.co.uk)

GrapeApe

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
>>If I remember correctly Dudley's horse was named "Horse".

>That's the way I remember it too. Horse.

Oft confused with Nell.

By the way, how much horse is Dudly asking us to hoard for Y2k?

GrapeApe

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
>> There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed
>
>No, no, no. Steed was in The Avengers and he sometimes *rode* horses.
>

>I'm sorry, but if you must mention the Avengers, you must
>mention the exquisite Ms. Rigg.

M. appeal. Male Appeal. Emma Peel. But everyone knew her as Nancy

Bill Pringle

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98

Leia wrote in message <3679667A...@spamsux.org>...

>cwp wrote:
>>

>> The real question, though, is...
>> Where did Bullwinkle go to college?
>>

>Whatsamatta U.?
I recall their great rival football team was Tick Tock Tech.

Bill Pringle

Nick Spalding

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
Lon Stowell wrote:

> I'm sorry, but if you must mention the Avengers, you must
> mention the exquisite Ms. Rigg.

Are you referring to Dame Diana Rigg?
--
Nick Spalding

Jared Hinman

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
"Ben Walsh" <ben_...@email.msn.com> writes:

>Jared Hinman wrote in message <75bif7$9a4$1...@pulp.ucs.ualberta.ca>...

>>With the CBC that might have meant almost 2 letters of complaint. Right

>>now I a not sure why our tax dollars need to go to fund the CBC.

>Because otherwise there would have been no "Shivers".

If it is a show worth watching it can make it on its own without my tax
dollars helping.

Jared Hinman

GrapeApe

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
>> I'm sorry, but if you must mention the Avengers, you must
>> mention the exquisite Ms. Rigg.

>Are you referring to Dame Diana Rigg?

Yes, she was an exquisite dame wasn't she...

Ben Walsh

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
GrapeApe wrote in message <19981218143140...@ng25.aol.com>...

An exquisite, leather-clad Dame. I only saw the series for the first time
last year. Nowadays, of course, the kids have their loud music and their
pornography, but my then flatmate commented that at the time she must have
figured heavily in the imaginations of a generation of teenage boys.

ben "nothing like a dame" w.

Charles A. Lieberman

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
Terry Nielsen
> recommending that citizens
> stock up on some basic provisions prior to the rollover to Y2K.
> Suggestions were one months supply of food and water, and some cash.
>
> The spokesman said that he "didn't want to cause a panic"

I'll bite: what would he have advised if he *did* want to cause a panic?

--
Charles A. Lieberman | "Courage built a bridge, reason tore it down"
Brooklyn, New York, USA | -- R.E.M., "Kohoutek"

Darren S A George

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
Jared Hinman wrote:

> With the CBC that might have meant almost 2 letters of complaint.
> Right now I a not sure why our tax dollars need to go to fund the CBC.

So that we can have at least one channel that won't be pre-empted for
the impeachment hearings?

--
The Mad Alchemist
http://members.xoom.com/madalch

RRS

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
GrapeApe wrote:

> >Are you referring to Dame Diana Rigg?
>
> Yes, she was an exquisite dame wasn't she...

She ain't dead yet.

Robin "and still exquisite" Storesund

RRS

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
Ben Walsh wrote:
> An exquisite, leather-clad Dame. I only saw the series for the first time
> last year. Nowadays, of course, the kids have their loud music and their
> pornography, but my then flatmate commented that at the time she must have
> figured heavily in the imaginations of a generation of teenage boys.

Along with the also leather-clad Julie Newmar as Catwoman on Batman.

Robin "best of the three" Storesund

Terry Nielsen

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Charles A. Lieberman wrote:

> Terry Nielsen
> > recommending that citizens
> > stock up on some basic provisions prior to the rollover to Y2K.
> > Suggestions were one months supply of food and water, and some cash.
> >
> > The spokesman said that he "didn't want to cause a panic"
>
> I'll bite: what would he have advised if he *did* want to cause a panic?

Hence the Dudley Doright analogy.

Charles A. Lieberman

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Jared Hinman

> >Because otherwise there would have been no "Shivers".
>
> If it is a show worth watching it can make it on its own without my tax
> dollars helping.

I think this is starting to get off-topic.

Simon Slavin

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Antidisestablishmentarianism <wilm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> cwp wrote:
> >
> > docW wrote:
> > >
> > > Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?
> >

> > His horse's name was "Horse.".
> .

> There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed

Well now we know what his name was and what he was called, could
someone tell me what he actually was ?

Simon.
--
Simon Slavin. No junk email please. | Do you have a point, or just a
<http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk> | modem and time on your hands ?
| -- Richard Casady

Simon Slavin

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
In article <19981218035519...@ng35.aol.com>,
grap...@aol.com (GrapeApe) wrote:

> >> There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed
> >

> >No, no, no. Steed was in The Avengers and he sometimes *rode* horses.
>

> >I'm sorry, but if you must mention the Avengers, you must
> >mention the exquisite Ms. Rigg.

I think you mean 'Dame Diana Rigg' who I saw recently in _Who's
Afraid of Virginia Wolf ?_. I enjoyed it so much I actually
considered going again.

> M. appeal. Male Appeal. Emma Peel.

I appear to be almost entirely pun-blind. I watched the series
for years and never noticed that pun.

> But everyone knew her as Nancy

What ? I can only remember her being called "Miss Peel".

David Scheidt

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98

: > cwp wrote:
: > > docW wrote:
: > > > Dang. What was the name of Dudley Dorights' horse?
: > > His horse's name was "Horse.".
: > There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed
: Well now we know what his name was and what he was called, could

: someone tell me what he actually was ?

A cartoon.
David "HTH" Scheidt

Mike Holmans

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
Leia <ihat...@spamsux.org> felt like saying:

>cwp wrote:
>>

>> The real question, though, is...
>> Where did Bullwinkle go to college?
>>

>Whatsamatta U.?

Of course, they gotta no respect.

Mike "shaddap your face" Holmans Music Theatre

--
I prefer Yorkshire terriers myself, deep fried in a good beer batter.
- Wibble

Read lotsa fine stuff, including the FAQ, at http://www.urbanlegends.com

Mike Holmans

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
slavins.at.hearsay.demon.co.uk@localhost.? felt like saying:
[Emma Peel]

>> But everyone knew her as Nancy
>
>What ? I can only remember her being called "Miss Peel".

Your memory creaks. Steed, at least, always called her "*Mrs* Peel".

Mike "but what did he call Honor Blackman and Linda Thorson?" Holmans

Phil Edwards

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
Mike Holmans <pos...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Your memory creaks. Steed, at least, always called her "*Mrs* Peel".
>
>Mike "but what did he call Honor Blackman and Linda Thorson?" Holmans

'Mrs Gale' and 'Mrs Blithering Amateur', of course.

Phil "-ra-boom-de-ay" Edwards
--
Phil Edwards http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/amroth/
"The spangled drongo is not a stupid bird." - quoted by Steve Caskey

Phil Edwards

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
slavins.at.hearsay.demon.co.uk@localhost (Simon Slavin) wrote:

>> > His horse's name was "Horse.".
>> .
>> There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed
>
>Well now we know what his name was and what he was called, could
>someone tell me what he actually was ?

Actual Dialogue From This Very Day:

Me: There's a film on this afternoon
S. and h.: What is it?
Me: The Sound of Music.
S&h: What's it called?
Me: It's called The Sound of Music.
S&h: But what's the sound of music called?
Me: Well, it's just called The Sound of Music.
S&h (growing agitated): But what's the music called?

Phil "one of us here is crazy" Edwards

RRS

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
Phil Edwards wrote:

> Mike Holmans <pos...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >Mike "but what did he call Honor Blackman and Linda Thorson?" Holmans
>
> 'Mrs Gale' and 'Mrs Blithering Amateur', of course.

You mean _Ms_ Blithering Amateur.

Robin "ta ra ra BOOM dee ay" Storesund

RRS

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
Mike Holmans wrote:

> Mike "but what did he call Honor Blackman and Linda Thorson?" Holmans

Not to mention Joanna Lumley.

Robin "as Purdey" Storesund

Crash

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
Simon Slavin wrote:
> In article <36799E...@bellsouth.net>,
> Antidisestablishmentarianism <wilm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > cwp wrote:
> > > His horse's name was "Horse.".
> > There werseveral instances where Horse was also called Steed
> Well now we know what his name was and what he was called, could
> someone tell me what he actually was ?
>
> Simon.

You mean as in , "is Goofy a dog or what?"
A zebra, obviously.
--
Crash "The guy with the coat with the Goofy collar" Johnson

Bill Pringle

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98

Phil Edwards wrote in message

>Actual Dialogue From This Very Day:
>
>Me: There's a film on this afternoon
>S. and h.: What is it?
>Me: The Sound of Music.
>S&h: What's it called?
>Me: It's called The Sound of Music.
>S&h: But what's the sound of music called?
>Me: Well, it's just called The Sound of Music.
>S&h (growing agitated): But what's the music called?

Sound like an old Abbot and Costello gag?

Bill "who's on first" Pringle

Phil Edwards

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
RRS <dez...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Phil Edwards wrote:

>> Mike Holmans <pos...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> >Mike "but what did he call Honor Blackman and Linda Thorson?" Holmans
>>

>> 'Mrs Gale' and 'Mrs Blithering Amateur', of course.
>
>You mean _Ms_ Blithering Amateur.

Do I? Really? I'm genuinely intrigued - I thought Ms in English usage
postdated the last of the original Avengers. I'd be interested in any
evidence to the contrary.

Phil "perhaps I should get out more" Edwards

RRS

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
Phil Edwards wrote:

> RRS <dez...@adelphia.net> wrote:
>

> >You mean _Ms_ Blithering Amateur.
>
> Do I? Really? I'm genuinely intrigued - I thought Ms in English usage
> postdated the last of the original Avengers. I'd be interested in any
> evidence to the contrary.

Hm-m-m. Perhaps I misremember. It could be differences between when the
show aired in the UK and the US. The Tara King episodes of The Avengers
aired here in the US around 1969-70 (don't know when they aired in the
UK) and even though Ms magazine didn't start publishing until around '72
or '73 I recall the term being bantied about before its appearance (that
is to say, during my college years.) So, it seemed that the term would
have applied to her.

Robin "I could be wrong" Storesund

RRS

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
Phil Edwards wrote:

> RRS <dez...@adelphia.net> wrote:
>

> >> 'Mrs Gale' and 'Mrs Blithering Amateur', of course.
> >

> >You mean _Ms_ Blithering Amateur.
>
> Do I? Really? I'm genuinely intrigued - I thought Ms in English usage
> postdated the last of the original Avengers.

Ooh! Ooh! I'd forgotten that the reason I had posted that to begin with,
before I was sidetracked by the chronology of the tern "Ms" was the I
was pretty sure Tara King was not a *Mrs.* Unlike Mrs. Peel's missing
husband who showed up to driver her away in her final episode there
wasn't a Mr. King lurking in the background.

Robin "and she didn't strike me as a Miss" Storesund

RRS

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
Viv wrote:

> My big dic[1], published in 1972, has no entry for Ms.

According to www.feminist.com, Ms magazine was founded in 1972. It
doesn't go into greater detail about the magazine, but I recall that the
publishers chose that for their magazine's name because the women's
movement had been promoting the term as a title apppropriate to an adult
woman whose marital status was unknown or for a woman who might choose
to have a title free of marital reference, married or not. It's not
unlikely that such a term might not find its way into a dictionary
immediately, but I do know that many feminists were using the term
before the publication of the magazine. I shall see if I can get any
firmer dates on it use.

Robin "it's so convenient to use, too" Storesund

Viv

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98

Phil Edwards wrote

:RRS wrote:
:>Phil Edwards wrote:
:>> Mike Holmans wrote:
:>
:>> >Mike "but what did he call Honor Blackman and Linda Thorson?" Holmans
:>>

:
:Do I? Really? I'm genuinely intrigued - I thought Ms in English usage
:postdated the last of the original Avengers. I'd be interested in any
:evidence to the contrary.

My big dic[1], published in 1972, has no entry for Ms.

Vivienne "but I use it anyway - oh my I'm giddy with iconoclasm" Smythe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eagles may soar - but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

[1] Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary
W & R Chambers Ltd, Edinburgh
New Edition 1972 reprinted 1976 ISBN 0-550-10206-X

mince...@usa.net

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
In article <367F15...@adelphia.net>,
dez...@adelphia.net wrote:

> Viv wrote:
>
> > My big dic[1], published in 1972, has no entry for Ms.
>
> According to www.feminist.com, Ms magazine was founded in 1972 [...] I recall

> that the publishers chose that for their magazine's name because the women's
> movement had been promoting the term as a title apppropriate to an adult
> woman whose marital status was unknown or for a woman who might choose
> to have a title free of marital reference, married or not. [...] I do know

> that many feminists were using the term before the publication of the
> magazine. I shall see if I can get any firmer dates on it use.

Personal experience puts it at 1956, when I'd get embarrassed about not
knowing which title (Miss or Mrs.) was correct. Mumbling seemed a good idea
("Hi, Mzzzz Benson") and it appeared to have worked as long as I mumbled it
quickly and softly enough.

Unfortunately, I never mumbled it in writing. So there goes any chance of
producing a proper cite.

At the time, I'd not heard of the Mzzzz usage. Thought I was pretty damned
clever, I did.

Larry Palletti
East Point/Atlanta, Georgia
--
Opinionated, but lovable
Iota Nu Beta

Margaret Kane Schoen

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98

Crash wrote:

As an aside, I was at Disney World last year and I went up (on a dare
from my husband) and asked one of the non-costumed people (she was a
Goofy "handler" as I recall) about that. Specifically, If Goofy is a
dog, and Pluto is a dog, why does Goofy wear clothes and Pluto doesn't?

She didn't even blink, but politely asked me to wait a minute and went
inside a little building nearby and picked up a phone. She asked whoever
answered the phone (Walt? Michael Eisner?) that question, waited a
couple of minutes and came back with this answer:

"Pluto is a dog. Goofy is a dog with human characteristics."

There you go.

Margaret "human with sloth characteristics" Schoen

RRS

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
Phil Edwards wrote:

> RRS <dez...@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >Phil Edwards wrote:

> >> 'Mrs Gale' and 'Mrs Blithering Amateur', of course.
> >
> >You mean _Ms_ Blithering Amateur.
>
> Do I? Really? I'm genuinely intrigued - I thought Ms in English usage
> postdated the last of the original Avengers.

Well, according to A History of The Avengers, by Gareth Humphreys, at
http://www.titanium-duck.com/~avengers/avengers/avhistory.html, Tara
King was neither a Ms nor a Mrs.--she was a good, old fashioned Miss.
I'd say that regardless of when the title Ms was in usage, if she was
introduced as a Miss, that's what she was. I stand corrected.

Robin "actually, I sit corrected" Storesund

Phil Edwards

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
RRS <dez...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Phil Edwards wrote:
>>
>> I'm genuinely intrigued - I thought Ms in English usage
>> postdated the last of the original Avengers.
>

>Ooh! Ooh! I'd forgotten that the reason I had posted that to begin with,
>before I was sidetracked by the chronology of the tern "Ms" was the I
>was pretty sure Tara King was not a *Mrs.*

Yep. Now I think of it, the last episode of the original run of the
Avengers featured Steed & King unchaperoned in a rocket. Blasting off.
Opening a bottle of champagne.

Phil "add a train going into a tunnel and you'll be in the right area"

"Does it help to know that if you don't stay strong, we'll
beat you to a pulp?" - Madeleine Page

RRS

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
mince...@usa.net wrote:

> Personal experience puts it at 1956, when I'd get embarrassed about not
> knowing which title (Miss or Mrs.) was correct. Mumbling seemed a good idea
> ("Hi, Mzzzz Benson") and it appeared to have worked as long as I mumbled it
> quickly and softly enough

Isn't that an old suthrun tradition? But spleld Miz rather than Ms. My
mother in Maryland has always been Miz Doris to the little kids in her
neighborhood, and I think I've read it in some books (although that may
have been attempts at dialect.)

Ms Schmitz, are you known as Miz JoAnne down there in Baltimore?

Robin "just hold on there, Missy" Storesund

JoAnne Schmitz

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98

It's Miss JoAnne. I had a neighbor lady known as Miss Lillian even though she
was about 80 and married. What neighborhood is your mother in?

JoAnne "good as a mile" Schmitz

-----------------------------------------+----------------------------
"I would say it's the rare Catholic who | http://www.urbanlegends.com
would call Jesus a partridge" | http://www.dejanews.com
--ben walsh on alt.folklore.urban | http://www.snopes.com

Robin Mitchell

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:30:16 +1100, "Viv" <v...@au.mensa.org> wrote:

>Phil Edwards wrote

>:Do I? Really? I'm genuinely intrigued - I thought Ms in English usage
>:postdated the last of the original Avengers. I'd be interested in any
>:evidence to the contrary.
>

>My big dic[1], published in 1972, has no entry for Ms.

My big dic[1] gives the following usage note for Ms.:

Ms. came into use in the 1950's as a title before a woman's surname
when her marital status was unknown or irrelevant. In the early
1970's, the use of Ms. was adopted and encouraged by the women's
movement...

My small dic[2], published in 1974, also lists it.

But my *really* big dic[3] makes no mention of it all, as you'd expect.

And _in re_ another branch of this thread, the big dic gives the
following pronunciation note:

Ms. is pronounced (miz), a pronunciation that is identical with one
standard South Midland and Southern U.S. pronunciation of Mrs.

-- Robin "the Aardvark of Zydeco" Mitchell
--
Perform the arithmetic in my address to reply.

[1] The Random House Dictionary of the English Language
Second Edition, Unabridged (c) 1987

[2] The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (c) 1974

[3] The OED[4], 1933 version (Compact[5] Edition)

[4] BOA approved, even though it isn't really an A

[5] But still a really, really big dic

danny burstein

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
In <369257f2...@news.digex.net> jsch...@qis.net (JoAnne Schmitz) writes:

>It's Miss JoAnne. I had a neighbor lady known as Miss Lillian even though she
>was about 80 and married. What neighborhood is your mother in?

Did your neighbo[u]r have a son named Billy, and another named Jimmy?

danny 'sounds pretty Plain(s) to me' burstein

dan...@panix.com

RRS

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
JoAnne Schmitz wrote:

> It's Miss JoAnne. I had a neighbor lady known as Miss Lillian even though she
> was about 80 and married. What neighborhood is your mother in?

She lives in a suburb of Baltimore. My grandmother lived in Baltimore
city near the old stadium (when she was alive anyway) and was also
called Miz, but with her surname instead of her given name. After
reading Robin Mitchell's post with her big dic's quotes I gather that I
was just hearing as Miz what was being said as Mrs. Except that in my
mother's case, Mrs. Doris doesn't sound right. I will have to ask her
what the kids are actually saying.

Robin "after I drink some warter" Storesund

Chuck

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:02:03 -0500, Margaret Kane Schoen
<mk...@zd.com> wrote:

>"Pluto is a dog. Goofy is a dog with human characteristics."

Or, were they trying to hide the REAL truth from you: Goofy is really
a HUMAN, with DOG characteristics, the result of an early, and tragic
failure in genetic engineering.....

Chuck "A Tabula Rasa with no characteristics" Holcomb
--
Chuck
chaz3913[at]yahoo[dot]com

Phil Edwards

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
RRS <dez...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Well, according to A History of The Avengers, by Gareth Humphreys, at
>http://www.titanium-duck.com/~avengers/avengers/avhistory.html, Tara
>King was neither a Ms nor a Mrs.--she was a good, old fashioned Miss.

The same site also describes Emma Peel as 'a young widow'. So who was
that man who drove her away, we wonder.

Phil "albeit not for very long" Edwards

Simon Slavin

Dec 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/26/98
In article <3682d1f...@news.zetnet.co.uk>,
amr...@zetnet.co.uk (Phil Edwards) wrote:

> RRS <dez...@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >Well, according to A History of The Avengers, by Gareth Humphreys, at
> >http://www.titanium-duck.com/~avengers/avengers/avhistory.html, Tara
> >King was neither a Ms nor a Mrs.--she was a good, old fashioned Miss.
>
> The same site also describes Emma Peel as 'a young widow'. So who was
> that man who drove her away, we wonder.

If I recall correctly, there was some doubt about the condition of
Mr. Peel: he was an explorer or engaged in some other risky activity
and there was no proof that he was alive and none that he was dead.

Simon.
--
Simon Slavin. No junk email please. | Do you have a point, or just a
<http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk> | modem and time on your hands ?
| -- Richard Casady

ber...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
In article <36796C0F...@technettn.com>,

Steve Jones <st...@technettn.com> wrote:
> cwp wrote:
> >
> > docW wrote:

> > Where did Bullwinkle go to college?

> Steve "Wassamatta U." Jones

Just got the company newsletter today and the Interactive divison[1] of the
company I work for is putting out a CD-ROM game called "Rocky & Bullwinkle's
Know-It-All Quiz Game" and players get to captain a team from either
Pottsylvania, Frostbite Falls, or *Wossamotta[2] U.* Players get to choose two
teammates from characters in the series. More software programs based on the
series are planned.

Robin "I choose Mr. Peabody for my know-it-all" Storesund

[1] Not the division *I* work in, so I don't stand to gain from this shameless
product plug.

[2] I was certain this was a typo and imagined all the "B" printing expenses
once it was pointed out to the powers that be. Checked the R&B web sites and,
shirley enough, it's spled Wossamotta.

Charles A. Lieberman

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Phil Edwards

> I thought Ms in English usage
> postdated the last of the original Avengers. I'd be interested in any
> evidence to the contrary.

I doubt there were any television shows that ended in the 17th century.
Judith Martin in _Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millenium_
(1990, ISBN 0-671-72228-X) says "[Ms] has been documented as far back as
the seventeenth century," (page 75) although I admit she doesn't document
it herself.

Charles "this sat in my outbox until I could find a cite" Lieberman
--
Charles A. Lieberman | And I would've gotten away with it too if it hadn't
Brooklyn, NY, USA | been for those meddlesome kids!

Dave Wilton

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
On Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:05:32 -0500, cali...@bu.ed.u (Charles A.
Lieberman) wrote:

>Phil Edwards
>> I thought Ms in English usage
>> postdated the last of the original Avengers. I'd be interested in any
>> evidence to the contrary.
>
>I doubt there were any television shows that ended in the 17th century.
>Judith Martin in _Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millenium_
>(1990, ISBN 0-671-72228-X) says "[Ms] has been documented as far back as
>the seventeenth century," (page 75) although I admit she doesn't document
>it herself.
>
>Charles "this sat in my outbox until I could find a cite" Lieberman

Well, the OED2 dates "Ms." to 1952, which is certainly pre-Avengers.
Although that is an American cite. The earliest British cite in the
big dic is from 1970 and that refers to the abbreviation as an
American practice.

Methinks that dear Judith erred in her 17th century cite. The
abbreviation "MS.," meaning manuscript, dates to that century.

--Dave Wilton
dwi...@sprynet.com
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/dwilton/homepage.htm