Run! It's the Delphioids!

Joel Furr

Jan 7, 1994, 9:27:12 PM1/7/94

Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
the net?

Did they open up booths in mental institutions around the country,
handing out modems and accounts?

dwin...@nyx10.cs.du.edu

Jan 7, 1994, 10:03:26 PM1/7/94
In article <1994Jan8.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks that one of the requirements
of getting a delphi account are that you must be mentally unstable.

MegaZone

Jan 7, 1994, 10:31:27 PM1/7/94
dwin...@nyx10.cs.du.edu () shaped the electrons to say:

>I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks that one of the requirements
>of getting a delphi account are that you must be mentally unstable.

They were giving away free trials when they first got a full net
connection.

So I tried it...

Yuck, what a miserable system. I've been shell for years, going to
Delphi was like putting on a straight-jacket.

I suppose all the WinDoze users and BBSers would be used to it...
But they are really missing out.

I send anyone local to world.std.com

--
mega...@wpi.wpi.edu mega...@world.std.com mega...@hotblack.schunix.dmc.com
"I have one prejudice, and that is against stupidity. Use your mind, think!"

anta...@news.delphi.com

Jan 8, 1994, 12:09:33 AM1/8/94
jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

Yeah, us weirdos.

You have a real endearing and friendly way of saying things. You
may take the foot out of your mouth now.

No wonder so many people can't stand you,
- net.spy!

Paul Tomblin

Jan 8, 1994, 12:36:34 AM1/8/94
anta...@news.delphi.com (ANTA...@DELPHI.COM) writes:

>jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

>>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
>>the net?

>Yeah, us weirdos.
[typical delphoid jibberish deleted]

I think Joel's point has been nicely proven, don't you?

--
Paul Tomblin - snide Canadian.
Joel Furr can have my Vicki Robinson sig when he prys it from my cold, dead

DENN...@delphi.com

Jan 8, 1994, 9:34:46 AM1/8/94
Yes.

Also, they've got a "loss leader" deal going. Five hours free for
signing up, then US $20 a month for 20 hours connect. I saw
the add in the Times first, but since then I've seen it many
places -- probably in "Nut Case Weekly" as well.

Thing is, their hosts are not really equipped for the load that's
being added, so it's Gawdawful slow betimes. Also THEIR TEXT EDITORS
SUCK BIG TIME.

When they finally pull the rug on the connect time deal I hope
to have been able to afford a true UUCP node.

t "accepting donations of Sparc10 or HP equivalent" c
--
( )_( ) "At milepost 373 on the Information Superhighway
\. ./ there's a "deer crossing" sign to which has

davis robert

Jan 8, 1994, 11:29:44 AM1/8/94

>Did they open up booths in mental institutions around the country,
>handing out modems and accounts?

[As music from "The Twilight Zone" plays in the background...]

I suspect that this is a plot being hatched by a number of
conspirators, including the likes of Delphi and people who operate
MsSsy-DOS type BBS systems. In addition to giving out terminals and
modems to the most demented people in mental institutions, they're
also providing net access to other victims of dementia such as people
who read, and believe everything that they read in, magazines such as
PC-World.

--
Robert D. Davis |
...uunet!mystica!rdd | Eccentrics have more fun!

R S Rodgers

Jan 8, 1994, 12:26:17 PM1/8/94
In article <2gmn1o...@umbc8.umbc.edu>,

davis robert <rda...@gl.umbc.edu> wrote:
>I suspect that this is a plot being hatched by a number of
>conspirators, including the likes of Delphi and people who operate
>MsSsy-DOS type BBS systems. In addition to giving out terminals and
>modems to the most demented people in mental institutions, they're
>also providing net access to other victims of dementia such as people
>who read, and believe everything that they read in, magazines such as
>PC-World.

No, it's worse: Omni.

--
The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.

dhug...@ins.infonet.net

Jan 8, 1994, 1:52:30 PM1/8/94

well, those of us on delphi consider the sources of our flamers---

a delphi person

Eddie Saxe

Jan 8, 1994, 2:40:28 PM1/8/94
In alt.online-service.delphi, dhug...@ins.infonet.net writes:
>In article <ab401.758007394@freenet>, ab...@freenet.carleton.ca (Paul Tomblin) writes:
>>anta...@news.delphi.com (ANTA...@DELPHI.COM) writes:

>>>Yeah, us weirdos.
>>[typical delphoid jibberish deleted]
>>
>>I think Joel's point has been nicely proven, don't you?
>
>well, those of us on delphi consider the sources of our flamers---
>
>a delphi person

Wow! Two for two! Can we get a third?

Eddie
--
Pixel-planes research group Developing linearly scalable VR technology

dubu...@ins.infonet.net

Jan 8, 1994, 9:33:25 PM1/8/94
In article <2gn27c...@angel.cs.unc.edu>, sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes: >Wow! Two for two! Can we get a third? Eddie, Why bother you elitist mind has already been made up. All us non college Internet users will scamper right away and have nothing to do again with Internet, I mean what could we contribute. As for the two for two, give us a few days... ********************************************************************* * John Dalton * Dubu...@ins.infonet.net * * Dubuque,Iowa * Johnd...@delphi.com * * #800 Dialup/14,400 access >>>>>>Email: In...@ins.infonet.net * * NetIowa-"If you Build it..They will come" * *********************************************************************

Eddie Saxe

Jan 8, 1994, 9:49:07 PM1/8/94
In misc.test, alt.online-service.delphi, alt.folklore.computers, alt.folklore.urban, alt.config, news.misc, news.admin.misc, dubu...@ins.infonet.net writes:
>In article <2gn27c...@angel.cs.unc.edu>, sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes:
>>Wow! Two for two! Can we get a third?
>Eddie,
> Why bother you elitist mind has already been made up. All us non college
>Internet users will scamper right away and have nothing to do again with
>Internet, I mean what could we contribute.
> As for the two for two, give us a few days...

1) There are plenty of non-college people who post to USENET (*NOT* Internet---
read the news.newusers.questions group for the "Welcome to USENET" message) who
have had no trouble at all learning the ropes of USENET before opening their
big mouths---and some of them have *really* big mouths.

2) USENET rule #6: don't post to misc.test unless you understand the
consequences.

Paul Tomblin

Jan 8, 1994, 10:20:14 PM1/8/94
sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes:

>1) There are plenty of non-college people who post to USENET (*NOT* Internet---
>read the news.newusers.questions group for the "Welcome to USENET" message) who
>have had no trouble at all learning the ropes of USENET before opening their
>big mouths---and some of them have *really* big mouths.

I resemble that remark, Eddie.

Yes, way back when I started on this net (what was that? 8 years ago?
Something like that), I was quiet, read news.announce and
news.announce.newusers (or was that aorund yet? I forget), read the grups
that I intended to post to, and generally didn't do anything to embarrass
myself as a clueless newbie until I'd learnt the ropes. Of course, now I
embarrass myself on a daily basis, but that's only when I *want* to.

Of course, having lost a job at least *partly* due to something I said on the
net, I'm a lot more careful about what I say when posting from my office
account.

Paul "former newbie - never clueless" Tomblin

Rick Kelly

Jan 9, 1994, 2:53:13 AM1/9/94
Joel Furr (jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu) wrote:

: Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
: the net?

: Did they open up booths in mental institutions around the country,
: handing out modems and accounts?

Basically. They are sending out free introduction cards.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

--

Rick Kelly r...@rmkhome.com r...@bedford.progress.com

Rick Kelly

Jan 9, 1994, 2:56:27 AM1/9/94
ANTA...@DELPHI.COM (anta...@news.delphi.com) wrote:
: jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

: Yeah, us weirdos.

See? Here's another one of those "post anything to the net for free for
a week" people.

Alan J Rosenthal

Jan 9, 1994, 2:04:23 PM1/9/94
ab...@freenet.carleton.ca (Paul Tomblin) writes:
>Of course, having lost a job at least *partly* due to something I said on the
>net, I'm a lot more careful about what I say when posting from my office
>account.

TXT! TXT! (chant requesting further information in text form)

ah well, perhaps the story's not as exciting as it sounds. Like if he posted
trade secrets or like that. But perhaps he said his boss was an asshole!
Enquiring minds want to know!

Alan "your .035 megabytes of fame are beginning" Rosenthal

Paul Tomblin

Jan 9, 1994, 4:45:40 PM1/9/94
fl...@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

>ab...@freenet.carleton.ca (Paul Tomblin) writes:
>>Of course, having lost a job at least *partly* due to something I said on the
>>net, I'm a lot more careful about what I say when posting from my office
>>account.

>TXT! TXT! (chant requesting further information in text form)

>ah well, perhaps the story's not as exciting as it sounds. Like if he posted
>trade secrets or like that. But perhaps he said his boss was an asshole!
>Enquiring minds want to know!

Ok, due to popular request (I've gotten tired of typing this story to
everbody who sends me email)

I used to work for a GIS company (now defunct). While working for that GIS
company, I spend about 6 months in Britian, working at a customer site. (I
bet some of you with long memories were wondering why I was not posting much
for 6 months two years ago) One of the things I was involved in was trying to
get some data from another company's GIS system into our GIS system. I
looked, and found that the menu had an option to create files in the
appropriate format. So I tried it, and found that the files were almost, but
not entirely, unlike the format they were supposed to be in. I figured I
must be doing something wrong, since I remember when that other company was
developing that translater, they borrowed a couple of people from our company
to work on it. So I tried asking the tech support people at the other
company. No response. We worked around the problem by converting their data
to DXF format, and using our DXF translator, but some information was lost
along the way.

When I got back from the UK, I posted a query on comp.infosystems.gis, which
is a gateway to the BITNET mailing list GIS-L. I asked what I was doing
wrong, because "the files I got when I tried it were total shit. Totally
unusable, and not even close to valid <file format> format." Some BOZO from
IBM spotted the post, and highlighting *just* those two sentences (and not
the bit where I explained that I thought I was doing something wrong", and
faxed it to the presidents of both my company and the other company. Since
my company and the other one were involved with IBM in a joint bid on a big
contract, IBM had some clout in this matter (and the president of my company
was a spineless weenie). My manager and the president of my company gave me
2 hours to come up with some action plan to save my job. I went down the
hall to grovel to the president of the other company, with a written apology,
and sort of smoothed things over.

The funny thing is that I talked to one of the developers on that system
later, and he said "yeah, we know it's a piece of shit. We're removing the
menu item on the next release"!

A year or so later, my company was on the skids, and for that quarter's round
of layoffs (they were having a "Black Thursday" layoffs at the end of each
quarter), decided they needed to cut 3 of the 6 senior developers (along with
30 other people). So guess who's name came on top?

Paul "not that I'm bitter - THOSE BASTARDS!" Tomblin

TJ Wood

Jan 9, 1994, 5:19:51 PM1/9/94
jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel "Mr. Lemur to you buddy" Furr) writes:

>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
>the net?

>Did they open up booths in mental institutions around the country,
>handing out modems and accounts?

'smatter Joel? Did you think they left you out? They'll get around to you,
just wait your turn, Monkeyboy!

Terry "AFU too" Wood

Joel Furr

Jan 9, 1994, 10:55:17 PM1/9/94

Actually, Terrence, I briefly visited Delphi once and found myself
thinking aloud: "Man, this user interface SUCKS." I left and never went
back. Apparently they've got the system set up so only people clueless
enough to LIKE that interface stick with the system and those who have
actual IQ's go elsewhere and thus don't damage the Delphi rep by posting
clueful stuff from Delphi accounts.

Joel "Tom Cikoski is the exception, clearly sticking it out to keep an
eye on the Delphioids for the rest of us" Furr

anta...@news.delphi.com

Jan 9, 1994, 11:03:26 PM1/9/94
r...@rmkhome.com (Rick Kelly) writes:

Better do your homework before you make a fool of yourself
in public, kid. If been posting to USENet since early 1991,
from a dozen different accounts. It so happens I choose th
post from Delphi because it is the easiest account for me to
access, and the cheapest, too.

Cheers,
- net.spy! (Still awaiting the return of KPD)

Linda Richards

Jan 10, 1994, 5:21:37 AM1/10/94
> ANTA...@DELPHI.COM writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <2gqk2e$4...@news.delphi.com>
>
> Org. : Delphi Internet Services Corporation

Ack! You see that... Paul... Joel? 1991! Wow. Don't you guys feel bad now?

I'm awed. And most apologetic of my former uncharitable thoughts. I didn't
realize we were dealing with a net.guru of your longevity.

Linda "I'm not worthy... I'm not worthy" Richards

--
Linda Richards I understand it is
Linda_R...@mindlink.bc.ca obligatory to mention

MAC

Jan 10, 1994, 10:38:55 AM1/10/94

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. On the whole, I would say that
your average delphi poster was stark raving mad.

I was thinking of starting a delphi FAQ. If you have any input,
drop me a line.

MAC

Tom Coradeschi

Jan 10, 1994, 10:43:59 AM1/10/94
sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes:
>Wow! Two for two! Can we get a third?

Probably. But shooting fish in a barrel is rather poor sport, don't you think?
--

tom coradeschi <+> tc...@pica.army.mil <+> DoD#413

Antonio Vasconcelos

Jan 10, 1994, 7:40:16 AM1/10/94
sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes:

: 1) There are plenty of non-college people who post to USENET (*NOT* Internet---

: read the news.newusers.questions group for the "Welcome to USENET" message) who
: have had no trouble at all learning the ropes of USENET before opening their
: big mouths---and some of them have *really* big mouths.

The Usenet is not THAT different from BBSs, at least here.
I've never red n.n.q and I'm entering my 2nd year without being
flammed even once.

: 2) USENET rule #6: don't post to misc.test unless you understand the
: consequences.

As I don't know what it does, I'm removing it from the newsgroups
line.

You know, you SHOULDN'T use 80 char lines !!!!

--
Regards,
.--------------------------------------------------. .-------------.

Life Sux Hard!

Jan 10, 1994, 4:09:19 PM1/10/94
In article <2gqk2e$4...@news.delphi.com>,

ANTA...@DELPHI.COM <alt.flame> wrote:
>Better do your homework before you make a fool of yourself
>in public, kid. If been posting to USENet since early 1991,
>from a dozen different accounts. It so happens I choose th
>post from Delphi because it is the easiest account for me to
>access, and the cheapest, too.

It still doesn't change the fact that you are a dolt.

Nor the fact that delphi is pathetic.
--
--[ Send Ultra Eleet Spiffy Mail To: ]--------------------------------------
ch...@luna.uah.edu cfi...@uahcs2.cs.uah.edu crfi...@nox.cs.du.edu

Joel Furr

Jan 10, 1994, 5:44:38 PM1/10/94
In article <36...@mindlink.bc.ca>,

Linda Richards <Linda_R...@mindlink.bc.ca> wrote:
>Linda Richards I understand it is
>Linda_R...@mindlink.bc.ca obligatory to mention
> Joel Furr in your
>Nicely healed, thank you. signature.

Don't. Just don't.

Joel "It would make Tim Pierce jealous" Furr

Tim Pierce

Jan 10, 1994, 7:23:22 PM1/10/94
Am I the only one who sees the delicious irony in Joel Furr being the
one to create a newsgroup for flaming Delphi users?

--
____ Tim Pierce / "Is that a UNIX book? ... Cool!"
\ / twpi...@unix.amherst.edu /

Eddie Saxe

Jan 10, 1994, 9:09:16 PM1/10/94
In alt.online-service.delphi, alt.folklore.computers, and alt.folklore.urban, va...@bvl.pt (Antonio Vasconcelos) writes:

>The Usenet is not THAT different from BBSs, at least here.
>I've never red n.n.q and I'm entering my 2nd year without being
>flammed even once.

Not event a teensy-weensy spelling `flamme'?

Well, now you've been warlorded.

>--
>Regards,
>.--------------------------------------------------. .-------------.
>| Antonio Vasconcelos at The Lisbon $tock Exchange | | sysadmin & |
>| "I DO NOT SPEAK FOR BVL !!!" | | perl rookie |
>|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
>| ASCII: va...@bvl.pt Micro$oft Mail: Antonio_V...@bvl.pt |
>| SUNmail: va...@morgan.bvl.pt NeXTMail: ro...@jessica.bvl.pt |
>`-_________________________________________________________________-'

Signoff, four email addresses, gratuitous MacElwaine allu$ion$, WON B1FF
REFERENZ!!1!!, one Larry mention, internal borders, external borders
fully equiped with emergency periods, and apparently-intentional
structural damage.

Nine lines...32/sqrt(9) = 10.7 cm, tch, tch. (4 and 3/16 inches for the
metrically challenged)

I see why you need everything. YOU'RE GONNA PUT THE REST INTO YOUR SIG, TOO!

Eddie
--
Bringing you the Impossible, Yesterday and Under Budget

Paul Hendry

Jan 10, 1994, 11:12:44 PM1/10/94
In article <1994Jan10.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,

MAC <mb...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>In article <1994Jan8.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,
>Joel Furr <jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
>>the net?
>
>I was thinking of starting a delphi FAQ. If you have any input,
>drop me a line.

How about an anvil instead?

Is it just me, or does nyx seem to other people to have a staggering
number of ASSHOLES using it?

We've got two already (see above two posts) maybe we can wait for a third?
It shouldn't be too long. :-)
--
-- \ - "There, I've said it. I feel better." - Death - / --
-- \- Standard disclaimer: "I just can't help myself!" - Babs -/ --

Ray Depew

Jan 11, 1994, 11:35:17 AM1/11/94
Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

: Is it just me, or does nyx seem to other people to have a staggering

: number of ASSHOLES using it?

Nope, it's just you. Er, you're the only one, and you're not even on Nyx.
I mean, you need to watch Spaceballs again. And stop drinking so much
coffee.

Ray
rde...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Jack Parker

Jan 11, 1994, 3:05:22 PM1/11/94
Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

But he IS from Toronto:

"If you're looking for somehwere dynamic and bold,
where commerce is booming and sidewalks are gold,
where everyone's welcome to hang up their hat,
don't come to Toronto - it's nothing like that.

For Toronto's a place where the climates unkind,
where people are gloomy and narrow of mind,
where an antique administration drags on,
like a bunch of small villages rolled into one.

It's Toronto the good, Toronto the good,
the kind of a city to quicken the blood,
so don't run it down.... it's a charming old town,
it's Toronto the ever so good!"

(I spent a year there one weekend).

cheers
j.

: Ray
: rde...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Jack Parker |
Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,
jpa...@hpbs2561.boi.hp.com | Get lost on a rally."
(208) 396-5388 (W) (208) 384-1623 (H) |
Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employers.

John A. Weeks III

Jan 10, 1994, 7:11:09 PM1/10/94
In article <2gnqdl$q...@insosf1.infonet.net> dubu...@ins.infonet.net writes:
> All us non college Internet users will scamper right away and have nothing
> to do again with Internet, I mean what could we contribute.

Where's BIFF when we need him the most?

BTW, don't accuse us UUCP'ers of having anything to do with them prima donna
Internet people. 8-)

-john-

John A. Weeks III (612) 946-8815 jo...@newave.mn.org
Newave Communications, Ltd. ..!uunet!tcnet!newave!john

Paul Hendry

Jan 11, 1994, 8:46:45 PM1/11/94

And the Nyxies call the Delphioids weird? :-)

Kivi Shapiro

Jan 11, 1994, 8:26:36 PM1/11/94

Who's Tim Pierce?

--
- Kivi
jksh...@descartes.uwaterloo.ca (Kivi Shapiro)

Ray Depew

Jan 12, 1994, 10:20:32 AM1/12/94
Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

: And the Nyxies call the Delphioids weird? [something deleted -- rrd]

At least the Nyxies know enough to not use emoticons on AFU, crossposts
or no crossposts.

Regards
Ray Depew
r...@fc.hp.com
"And do you want me to bring up Dudley Doright and Hector Heathcote next?"

Jorg Klinger

Jan 12, 1994, 1:02:17 PM1/12/94
In <CJHEG...@boi.hp.com> jpa...@mail.boi.hp.com (Jack Parker) writes:

>Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
>: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

OB>(I spent a year there one weekend).

>Jack Parker |
>Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,

Ah yes, the Opera, the Ballet, the Symphony.

Jorg "Boise?" Klinger

Or was that Opra?

bill nelson

Jan 12, 1994, 3:13:35 PM1/12/94
kli...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Jorg Klinger) writes:
:
: >Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
: >: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:
:
: OB>(I spent a year there one weekend).
:
: >Jack Parker |
: >Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,
:
: Ah yes, the Opera, the Ballet, the Symphony.
:
: Jorg "Boise?" Klinger

Yeah. You can spend a week there, in a couple of hours.

Bill "Even less, on a good day" Nelson

Lee Rudolph

Jan 12, 1994, 5:22:37 PM1/12/94
d...@martha.utcc.utk.edu (David DeLaney) writes, about the town whose
dirty laundry was washed publicly in "The Boys of Boise":

>Hey, hey, hey! Watch it! I've got a brother (and sister-in-law) in Boise!
>Dave "they say that discounting the Mormons it's a nice place" DeLaney

So, to get back to that example someone was giving a while back in our
last discussion of the "6 degrees of separation" problem, I suppose the
discount for Mormons is arranged by the president of the local bank?

Lee "or is that a discount *on* Mormons you were talking about?"
Rudolph

Ray Depew

Jan 12, 1994, 5:47:41 PM1/12/94
[Newsgroups severely pruned]

David DeLaney (d...@martha.utcc.utk.edu) lets the cat out of the bag:

: Hey, hey, hey! Watch it! I've got a brother (and sister-in-law) in Boise!

:
: Dave "they say that discounting the Mormons it's a nice place" DeLaney

Mormons get discounts in Boise? Pack your bags, sweetie, we're headed to
Idyho!

Regards
Ray "and tell the other wives to get in the bus, too" D.

David DeLaney

Jan 12, 1994, 4:58:43 PM1/12/94

Hey, hey, hey! Watch it! I've got a brother (and sister-in-law) in Boise!

Dave "they say that discounting the Mormons it's a nice place" DeLaney

--
David DeLaney: d...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu; ObQuote: `I suggest quoting 'J"K"P' and
'J"RR"P' both. --K' Disclaimer: AFAIK, *nobody* speaks for U.T.Knoxville __

Jack Parker

Jan 12, 1994, 7:03:49 PM1/12/94

: >>Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
: >>: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:
: >OB>(I spent a year there one weekend).
: >>Jack Parker |
: >>Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,
: > Ah yes, the Opera, the Ballet, the Symphony.
: > Jorg "Boise?" Klinger
: >Or was that Opra?

: Hey, hey, hey! Watch it! I've got a brother (and sister-in-law) in Boise!

Ahh! I see the comment was directed at the amount of culture to be found
here in Boise. Yes - it is true this is rather a cultural desert. I miss
my home in Seattle. But on the other hand there is actually an opera
company here - I just saw Porgy and Bess not too very long ago. I have also
heard of symphonic arrangements and ballet locally. Not a very strong showing,
but jazz in the park and at the local winery + miles and miles of bike trails,
mountains, ski trails, courteous people..... It ain't so bad here.

'Toronto the Good' was written and performed by 'The Brother's In Law'.
A canadian group. I merely think of it every time I hear 'Toronto'.

I should have been more precise in my denigration of Toronto. Toronto
itself is a loverly place - but I was stuck in Downsview/Vaughn for the
better part of a year and grew to have strong feelings for that part of the
world. (I still make the sign of the crucifix whenever I see the manager
that stuck me up there - but that was another job - I think I'm safe now.
Some of my ex-co-workers from that era still refuse to answer phone
calls from that area-code).

My housemate would wake up every morning, stare out of the 14th floor
window of the monstrosity we lived, over the miles and miles of subdivisions
at the one lone tree that could be seen on the otherwise flat horizon and
say "VAUGHN! I live in VAUGHN Canada!" He got pretty vehement after a while.
Then we would get into the car and drive for 45 minutes to go the three miles
to work. But you don't really want to hear all of this - and I really want
to forget it.

(How do you abbreviate United States of America? U. S. Eh?)

cheers
j.

Jack Parker |
Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,

da...@gilly.cca.org

Jan 12, 1994, 8:21:49 PM1/12/94
b...@wg.saar.de (Patrick Schaaf) writes:

>Wonderful. Class struggle on the Internet. Get out yer Communist Manifesto,
>unwashed masses! Put an end to elitist bandwith hoarding! Free Bit for all!

MANIFESTO OF THE DELPHIC PARTY
------------------------------

#ident "@(#)/pub/manifest.delphic 1.1 3.0 04/01/1888 Friedrich_-_Engels "

A spectre is haunting the Internet -- the spectre of Delphism.
All the Powers of old Usenet have entered into a holy alliance to
exorcise this spectre: User and Admin, Hacker and Newbie, Academic
Radicals and NSA net-greppers.

Where is the Posting of Stupidity that has not been decried as
Delphic by its replies of flamage? Where the poster that has not
hurled back the branding reproach of "From: us...@delphi.com"
against the more Content-Free messages, as well as against the
Never-Ending-September?

Two things result from this fact.

I. Delphi is already acknowledged by all Internet Sites
to be itself a Host.

II. It is high time that Delphists should openly, in the face
of the whole alt hierarchy, post their messages, their .sigs, their
FAQs, and meet this UL of the Path: of !news.delphi.com! with a
Manifesto of the Site itself.

To this end, Delphists of various baud-rates have assembled
in a.o-s.d, and edited the following Manifesto, to be
distributed by the UUCP, nntp, and FTP rtfm.mit.edu protocols.

I. NEWBIES AND HACKERS

The history of all hitherto existing networks is the history
of user struggles.

Freeman and slave, patrician and plebeian, lord and serf,
hacker and newbie, admin and user, in a word, clued and clueless
stood in constant opposition to one another, carried on an
unSIGINTed, now ~/.hidden, now open() fight, a fight that each time
ended, either in a revolutionary rewrite of interfacing protocols
or in the common ruin of the contending networks. (Film at 11:00.)

In the earlier logfiles of history, we find almost everywhere a
complicated arrangement of computers into various networks, a
manifold gradation of system access. In ancient IBM we have
Man-Versus-System and BITNET; in the DEC Ages, VMS, DCL, and DECNET;
in almost all of these systems, again, subordinate gradations.

The feudal system of mailing lists, under which message distribution
was monopolised by closed servers, now no longer sufficed for the
growing wants of the new users. The uux - $NODE!rnews system took
its place. The LISTSERVs were pushed on one side by flood-fill
propogation; division of distribution between the different primary
servers vanished in the face of replication of batching in each single
node.

The modern Usenet society that has sprouted from the ruins
of proprietary systems has not done away with clash antagonisms. It
has but established new RFCs, new conditions of flamage,
new forms of posting in place of the old ones. Our epoch,
the Epoch of Usenet, possesses, however, this distinctive
bug^H^H^Hfeature: it has simplified the class antagonisms: Society as a
whole is less and less splitting up into two great hostile camps,
into two great classes, directly facing each other: User and
Delphoid.

[....]

-<=>- Dave Fischer -<=>- Help Fight Ambient Light! -<=>- da...@cca.org -<=>-

Joel Furr

Jan 12, 1994, 10:38:50 PM1/12/94
In article <CJHtC...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>,
Kivi Shapiro <jksh...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
*In article <2gslom$5...@char.vnet.net>, Joel Furr <jf...@char.vnet.net> wrote:
*>In article <36...@mindlink.bc.ca>,
*>Linda Richards <Linda_R...@mindlink.bc.ca> wrote:
*>>Linda Richards I understand it is
*>>Linda_R...@mindlink.bc.ca obligatory to mention
*>> Joel Furr in your
*>>Nicely healed, thank you. signature.
*>
*>Don't. Just don't.
*>
*>Joel "It would make Tim Pierce jealous" Furr
*
*Who's Tim Pierce?
*
*--
*- Kivi
*jksh...@descartes.uwaterloo.ca (Kivi Shapiro)
*Tim Pierce would be jealous if I mentioned Joel Furr in my .signature
*This message is in the public domain.

Tim? Oh, he's just this guy, you know?

Joel "Whistling quietly to myself" Furr

the Smooge

Jan 12, 1994, 6:56:16 PM1/12/94
Ok, I have talked to kibo via email and I think once a talk link
concerning whether or not he had gone to new mexico tech or not (there
was a rumour that he was one of those past alumni that are actually
millionaires who secretly give scholarrships to students.) It turned
out that the rumour was completely false. Xibo (2?) was the one who
had gone to tech years ago.. and neither Kibo or Xibo secretly sponsor
people's scholarships (or that is their story and they are sticking to
it.)

Well.. I leave for christmas break and after seeing the 5th reference
to this vicki person I wanted to know who she is... and how has she
become almost as famous as kibo? (And is there a vikkology?)

Stephen

--
Stephen John Smoogen | Student
smo...@nmt.edu | CS-Astrophysicist

James Kibo Parry

Jan 13, 1994, 3:57:57 AM1/13/94
[alt.online-service.delphi et al.]

In article <1994Jan12.2...@nmt.edu>, the Smooge <smo...@nmt.edu> wrote:
> Ok, I have talked to kibo via email and I think once a talk link
> concerning whether or not he had gone to new mexico tech or not (there
> was a rumour that he was one of those past alumni that are actually
> millionaires who secretly give scholarrships to students.) It turned
> out that the rumour was completely false. Xibo (2?) was the one who
> had gone to tech years ago.. and neither Kibo or Xibo secretly sponsor
> people's scholarships (or that is their story and they are sticking to
> it.)

I do not secretly sponsor scholarships; I am very open about the
millions of dollars I gave to my alma mater, Oral Roberts U.

-- K.

Jorg Klinger

Jan 13, 1994, 10:14:10 AM1/13/94
In <CJJK6...@boi.hp.com> jpa...@mail.boi.hp.com (Jack Parker) writes:

>David DeLaney (d...@martha.utcc.utk.edu) wrote:
>: kli...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Jorg Klinger) writes:
>: >jpa...@mail.boi.hp.com (Jack Parker) writes:
>: >>Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
>: >>: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

>but jazz in the park and at the local winery + miles and miles of bike trails,
>mountains, ski trails, courteous people..... It ain't so bad here.

Actually I'd trade a shit load of culture for some decent hiking
trails and some courteous people.

Jorg "De man ain't got no cultchur" Klinger

Simon or Garfunkel?

Paul Tomblin

Jan 13, 1994, 11:33:52 AM1/13/94
smo...@nmt.edu (the Smooge) writes:

>Well.. I leave for christmas break and after seeing the 5th reference
>to this vicki person I wanted to know who she is... and how has she
>become almost as famous as kibo? (And is there a vikkology?)

*I'll* never tell....

--
Paul Tomblin - snide Canadian.
Joel Furr can have my Vicki Robinson sig when he prys it from my cold, dead
fingers.

Paul Hendry

Jan 13, 1994, 11:46:31 AM1/13/94
In article <CJIvy...@fc.hp.com>, Ray Depew <r...@fc.hp.com> wrote:
>Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:
>
>: And the Nyxies call the Delphioids weird? [something deleted -- rrd]
>
>At least the Nyxies know enough to not use emoticons on AFU, crossposts
>or no crossposts.

So they *are* called Nyxies?

I just don't like to see people making fun of other people, who, through
no fault of their own happen to have an account on delphi.

I'd still like to know if lampreys are inherently funny or not!

David Lesher

Jan 13, 1994, 7:32:32 PM1/13/94
smo...@nmt.edu (the Smooge) writes:

>Well.. I leave for christmas break and after seeing the 5th reference
>to this vicki person I wanted to know who she is... and how has she
>become almost as famous as kibo? (And is there a vikkology?)

vicki is Kibo's illegimate mother, but she denies it......

Saw it on HARDCOPY, it MUST be true......
& no one will talk to a host that's close...........(v)301 56 LINUX
Unless the host (that isn't close)....kibo# 665.99.........pob 1433
is busy, hung or dead..............vr....................20915-1433

Lefty

Jan 14, 1994, 6:24:20 PM1/14/94
In article <2gqk2e$4...@news.delphi.com>, anta...@news.delphi.com
(ANTA...@DELPHI.COM) wrote:

> r...@rmkhome.com (Rick Kelly) writes:
>
> >ANTA...@DELPHI.COM (anta...@news.delphi.com) wrote:
> >: jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>
> >See? Here's another one of those "post anything to the net for free for
> >a week" people.

> Better do your homework before you make a fool of yourself
> in public, kid. If been posting to USENet since early 1991,
> from a dozen different accounts.

Thereby demonstrating, if true, that even given thirty-six months in which
to learn to avoid making a fool of _yourself_ in public, you were incapable
of doing so.

--
Lefty [gYon-Pa] (le...@apple.com)
C:.M:.C:., D:.O:.D:.

Rick Kitchen

Jan 14, 1994, 7:20:07 PM1/14/94

In a previous article, jpa...@mail.boi.hp.com (Jack Parker) says:

>heard of symphonic arrangements and ballet locally. Not a very strong showing,
>but jazz in the park and at the local winery + miles and miles of bike trails,

Wait a minute. I cannot let this go by unremarked.

There is a winery in Boise? Idaho is known for its wines?

Rick "Is it made from potatoes?" Kitchen

--
Rick Kitchen ap...@yfn.ysu.edu
"You're acting like you're in a podiatrist's office and they're going

Ed Ravin

Jan 17, 1994, 11:31:14 PM1/17/94
In article <smwall-10...@hipmac1.pica.army.mil> smw...@pica.army.mil (Steve Wall) writes:

>If you think the Delphi newbies are bad, just wait until America On-line
>gets it's (announced vaporware) newsfeed going full speed. Or even worse,
>imagine what would happen if Prodigy got a newsfeed.

Oh horrors! It would mean the end of Usenet as we know it! Thank goodness
it couldn't possibly ever happen...
--
Ed Ravin e...@wp.prodigy.com
Prodigy Services Company era...@panix.com

anta...@news.delphi.com

Jan 18, 1994, 5:09:57 AM1/18/94
le...@apple.com (Lefty) writes:

I agree - Rick Kelly sure did make a fool of himself in public. And you're
coming pretty close.

Love and kisses

MAC

Jan 18, 1994, 5:02:52 AM1/18/94
In article <2gsrhq$g...@amhux3.amherst.edu>,
Tim Pierce <twpi...@unix.amherst.edu> wrote:
>Am I the only one who sees the delicious irony in Joel Furr being the
>one to create a newsgroup for flaming Delphi users?

Yes.

Richard Masoner

Jan 18, 1994, 10:09:14 AM1/18/94
In article <2hfomi$13...@tinman.dev.prodigy.com> e...@elephant.dev.prodigy.com (Ed Ravin) writes:
>In article <smwall-10...@hipmac1.pica.army.mil> smw...@pica.army.mil (Steve Wall) writes:
>
>>...Or even worse,

>>imagine what would happen if Prodigy got a newsfeed.
>
>Oh horrors! It would mean the end of Usenet as we know it! Thank goodness
>it couldn't possibly ever happen...
>--
>Ed Ravin e...@wp.prodigy.com
>Prodigy Services Company era...@panix.com
^^^^^^^

I'm sooooo glad that there are still people with a sense of humor :)
--
Richard F. Masoner | Seen on a magazine cover:
Central Data Corporation |

Derek Tearne

Jan 20, 1994, 10:33:13 PM1/20/94

The only possible answer anyone can post to this question with any degree
of certainty is 'no'. To post 'yes' shows merely a lack of understanding
in the fields of logic, statistics and Usenet.

Derek "unless everyone on usenet except Tim can be bothered to post 'yes'
which is, of course, impossible" Tearne

--
Derek Tearne. de...@nezsdc.fujitsu.co.nz Fujitsu New Zealand
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the

Kivi Shapiro

Jan 21, 1994, 1:35:48 PM1/21/94
In article <1994Jan21.0...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz>,

Derek Tearne <de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz> wrote:

>Derek "unless everyone on usenet except Tim can be bothered to post 'yes'
>which is, of course, impossible" Tearne

No--it's possible. I just don't think it would be a good idea.

"Just lay down that Pnews, everyone" Kivi Shapiro
--
- Kivi
jksh...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (Kivi Shapiro)

MAC

Jan 21, 1994, 5:45:02 PM1/21/94
In article <CJtzF...@cd.com>, Richard Masoner <rich...@cd.com> wrote:
>In article <2hfomi$13...@tinman.dev.prodigy.com> e...@elephant.dev.prodigy.com (Ed Ravin) writes:
>>In article <smwall-10...@hipmac1.pica.army.mil> smw...@pica.army.mil (Steve Wall) writes:
>>
>>>...Or even worse,
>>>imagine what would happen if Prodigy got a newsfeed.
>>
>>Oh horrors! It would mean the end of Usenet as we know it! Thank goodness
>>it couldn't possibly ever happen...
>>--
>>Ed Ravin e...@wp.prodigy.com
>>Prodigy Services Company era...@panix.com
> ^^^^^^^
>
>I'm sooooo glad that there are still people with a sense of humor :)
>--
>Richard F. Masoner | Seen on a magazine cover:
>Central Data Corporation |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So am I.

Erik Kloeppel

Jan 22, 1994, 1:37:12 PM1/22/94
<940109.776...@delphi.com> <2gqpr9$1...@char.vnet.net>
<smwall-10...@hipmac1.pica.army.mil>
>>If you think the Delphi newbies are bad, just wait until America
On-line
>>gets it's (announced vaporware) newsfeed going full speed. Or even

worse,
>>imagine what would happen if Prodigy got a newsfeed.

>Oh horrors! It would mean the end of Usenet as we know it! Thank
goodness
>it couldn't possibly ever happen...
>--
>Ed Ravin e...@wp.prodigy.com
>Prodigy Services Company era...@panix.com
>445 Hamilton Avenue
>White Plains, NY 10601 +1 914 448 4737

and Prodigy users are different? um.. that is, better?

as the saying goes: "I don't think so!"

on the flip side, personal feelings aside, the online services will
soon have to connect fully to the internet just to compete, and their
users WILL be here. I give kudos to Delphi Internet Services (then
General Videotex) for having the foresight two years ago to see it
coming and to steal a march on all the other services.