UL: Bob Vila Not Very Nice?

Steven Tyler

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

eq...@mindspring.com wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:41:52 GMT, hip...@spacelab.net (Hipster)
> wrote:
>
> >Folks:
> >
> >You know that guy from "This Old House" and "The Renovation Guide"? I
> >remarked to my wife that he seemed like a decent chap (at least as
> >much as any other TV muckety-muck, anyway) and she said "Oh no!
> >Someone in my office said he sold a house to someone and the pipes
> >were all rotten, and the porch was falling off, and they are suing
> >him, etc., etc." I tried searching for recent events and news items
> >that might confirm or deny this, but no luck. Anyone know anything
> >about this?
>
> Bob Vila originally hosted "This Old House", a PBS home improvement
> program. He then started doing commercial advertisements for Sears
> tools. "This Old House" producers felt that hosting a PBS program
> and doing commercial advertisements were incompatible and asked him to
> choose one or the other. Mr Vila chose commercial television.
>
> Bob Vila now hosts a syndicated home improvement program called "Home
> Again", sponsored by Sears. Some years ago they renovated a home on
> the California coast. In Malibu, I believe.
>
> That house was later sold to Conrad Bains, a television actor. You
> may remember him as the dad from that program with the little kid who
> kept saying "What you talkin' bout Willis?" The name escapes me at
> the moment.
>
> According to news reports, Mr Bains is suing the production company
> and others involved in the renovation. He claims the house suffers
> from substandard construction, including leaking plumbing, making the
> house unlivable.
>
> I've often wondered about the quality of workmanship on programs of
> this type. Often they showcase new and untried materials and
> techniques. Likewise, having construction interrupted for a camera
> shot can't help the quality of workmanship.
>
> Much of the labor and materials are donated. Small, local companies
> donate their time in order to stand in front of a camera wearing a
> "John Doe's Plumbing and Heating" t-shirt. How much time are they
> actually willing to put into a project for which they aren't paid?

Steve Delurks:

Permit me to join your thread. Conrad Bains never appeared on Diff'rent
Strokes as a regular character. He played Mindy's Father in Mork &
Mindy, much as it shames to realize that I still know this fact. Bains
bought the house from Vila and later sued Vila for fraud and Breach of
Contract (?). I don't know if the suit was settled yet.

Here's the kicker: At his deposition, Vila admitted that: A) He had
never worked as a contractor. B) He had never worked for a contractor.
C) He had never worked as a builder. This was in a news cast. I don't
remember the news show.

Thanks,
Steve

Bo Bradham

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

johnny ray <jus...@home.com> wrote:

>eq...@mindspring.com wrote:
>>
>> Bob Vila originally hosted "This Old House", a PBS home improvement
>> program. He then started doing commercial advertisements for Sears
>> tools. "This Old House" producers felt that hosting a PBS program
>> and doing commercial advertisements were incompatible and asked him to
>> choose one or the other. Mr Vila chose commercial television.
>

>Uh, not quite. If you recall, ol' not-so-fun Bobby was either sued, or
>threaten with suit, by Sears because he had signed a contract with them
>to do x number of commercial spots over y years, and was refusing to do
>so. After a brief visit from the lawyers, he was suddenly all over the
>tv doing Sears spots. I distinctly remember this being in the news.

This is what I found in the news:

Kahn, Joseph P
: Bob Vila Gets the Gate
: Boston Globe
: Apr 1, 1989
: Bob Vila, the host of the PBS series "This Old House," is
being replaced. The show's underwriter was concerned about
Vila's outside endorsement contracts.

: Clark, Kenneth R
: 'This Old House' Host Keeps His Ads, Loses Job
: Chicago Tribune
: Apr 1, 1989
: Television host Bob Vila of "This Old House" will leave the
do-it-yourself show because of a conflict of interest with
some of his business dealings.

: Reilly, Patrick M
: Advertising: TV handymen hammer each other in print
: Wall Street Journal
: Oct 7, 1996
: The career of Bob Vila, the lovable handyman on public
television's "This Old House," took a twist when he was
removed from the show in 1989 for accepting outside
commercial endorsements. However, Vila quickly built a media
empire for himself, and now is out to nail his old TV home,
WGBH in Boston.

>Vila's PBS spot got terminated at about the same time as the commercial
>conflict, but it was because of an inability to come to terms with PBS
>on his contract renewal, not because of any high-brow PBS attitude.

Maybe you could post your references?

>johnny "That 2x4's upside down." ray

Bo "how long do you want it?" Bradham
--
"If it's their mistake, tough. If it's our mistake we negotiate."
- Overheard

johnny ray

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

eq...@mindspring.com wrote:

> Bob Vila originally hosted "This Old House", a PBS home improvement
> program. He then started doing commercial advertisements for Sears
> tools. "This Old House" producers felt that hosting a PBS program
> and doing commercial advertisements were incompatible and asked him to
> choose one or the other. Mr Vila chose commercial television.

Uh, not quite. If you recall, ol' not-so-fun Bobby was either sued, or
threaten with suit, by Sears because he had signed a contract with them
to do x number of commercial spots over y years, and was refusing to do
so. After a brief visit from the lawyers, he was suddenly all over the
tv doing Sears spots. I distinctly remember this being in the news.

Vila's PBS spot got terminated at about the same time as the commercial

conflict, but it was because of an inability to come to terms with PBS
on his contract renewal, not because of any high-brow PBS attitude.

Seems that Vila's just loads of fun to work with.

Related to this: I used to enjoy watching Vila's old PBS series far
more than I do with his recent work. He seems to be impatient, as if he
just wants everything to "click" smoothly. The old show had a more
relaxed, lazy-afternoon-watching-construction feel to it that made it
more pleasant. I have wondered if this has anything to do with Vila
being more of a star, and thus more demanding, or if this is a
difference caused simply by differences in the production group.

WVdulcimer

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Steven Tyler writes:
>This was in a news cast. I don't
>remember the news show.

Wonderful demonstration of the formularization of folklore, and I'll use
it in tonight's satellite-borne folklore lecture. "This was in a news
cast" and "They did this study .. " are our modern "Once upon a time," and
every such citation brings my students closer to accepting and recognizing
this.
D Williams

Hipster

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Folks:

You know that guy from "This Old House" and "The Renovation Guide"? I
remarked to my wife that he seemed like a decent chap (at least as
much as any other TV muckety-muck, anyway) and she said "Oh no!
Someone in my office said he sold a house to someone and the pipes
were all rotten, and the porch was falling off, and they are suing
him, etc., etc." I tried searching for recent events and news items
that might confirm or deny this, but no luck. Anyone know anything
about this?

Hipster
(who would never malign the good Vila name without incontrovertible
evidence.)

Rudeboy

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

[eq...@mindspring.com]
>[The house renovated by Bob Vila for TV] was later sold to Conrad

>Bains, a television actor. You may remember him as the dad from that
>program with the little kid who kept saying "What you talkin' bout
>Willis?" The name escapes me at the moment.

"Diff'rent Strokes." The kid to whom you refer is Gary Coleman, who
was Webster before Webster was Webster. Gary was the only one of the
three young stars of the show not to do hard time.

Humbly yours,
Rudeboy

Steven Tyler

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

I guarantee that this was in a newscast or news story on a prime time
news magazine show. If I can't cite the source, I'm sorry. This is not
a UL. This is fact. If you wish to flame now, go ahead.

The posters to this thread could not even remember that Conrad Bains had
nothing to do with Diff'rent Strokes, so... they aren't being criticised
for their ignorance or their lack of citations.

Also, If you wish to quote me, quote the whole post. Don't take anything
out of context. Taking quotes out of context is another contributing
factor to the "formulization of folklore."

Thanks, Flame on,
Steve

Bermuda999

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Steven Tyler <sct...@worldnet.att.net>, in
WVdulcimer wrote:

>>> Steven Tyler writes:
>>>This was in a news cast. I don't
>>>remember the news show.
>>
>> Wonderful demonstration of the formularization of folklore, and I'll
use
>> it in tonight's satellite-borne folklore lecture. "This was in a news
>> cast" and "They did this study .. " are our modern "Once upon a time,"
and
>> every such citation brings my students closer to accepting and
recognizing
>> this.
>> D Williams
>
>I guarantee that this was in a newscast or news story on a prime time
>news magazine show. If I can't cite the source, I'm sorry. This is not
>a UL. This is fact. If you wish to flame now, go ahead.
>
>The posters to this thread could not even remember that Conrad Bains had
>nothing to do with Diff'rent Strokes, so... they aren't being criticised
>for their ignorance or their lack of citations.

1. Conrad Bain (no "s") played the rich father/foster father/adoptive
father "Phillip Drummond" on the television show "Diff'rent Strokes"
(_The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows_,
by Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh (1995) ISBN 0-345-39736-3, pages 264-265)

2. Conrad Janis played Mindy's father "Frederick McConnell" on "Mork and
Mindy"
(_The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows_,
by Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh (1995) ISBN 0-345-39736-3, pages 697-698)

3. I believe that Conrad Janis was the one involved in the lawsuit with
Vila
(No cites except foggy memory and
I-think-I-may-have-heard-it-in-a-newscast-I-don't-remember-the-news-show)

>Also, If you wish to quote me, quote the whole post. Don't take anything

>out of context. Taking quotes out of context is another contributing
>factor to the "formulization of folklore."
>
>Thanks, Flame on,

(included for wholeness, context, and non-formularization)

Ãœlo Melton

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Steven Tyler wrote:

>Also, If you wish to quote me, quote the whole post.

Duly noted.

Begin trial run of emotinym. Favorable reaction not expected.
Ãœlo ";-)" Melton

Phil Smith

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

hip...@spacelab.net (Hipster) wrote:

>You know that guy from "This Old House" and "The Renovation Guide"? I
>remarked to my wife that he seemed like a decent chap (at least as
>much as any other TV muckety-muck, anyway) and she said "Oh no!
>Someone in my office said he sold a house to someone and the pipes
>were all rotten, and the porch was falling off, and they are suing
>him, etc., etc." I tried searching for recent events and news items
>that might confirm or deny this, but no luck. Anyone know anything
>about this?

Something similar happened when TOH renovated a barn into a house in
Concord, MA. I believe this was after Bob had left the show. The barn
was falling down and in fact was about non-existent. When they went
for the building permits they represented it as a renovation when they
actually ended up tearing down 95%+ percent of it. Since it was a
national show not too many tough questions were asked. Several years
afterwards there were all sorts of stories going around town about how
it was already falling apart. Tourists that come to town still ask
directions to it.

Since wer're dishing the dirt and it's only you and me, a friend
worked with on a site where Norm was a subcontractor. He could slam
down the brews with the best of them. This was when TOH was in one of
its first seasons and Norm was still doing contracting.

Tae H Kim

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Steven Tyler (sct...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

: I guarantee that this was in a newscast or news story on a prime time

: news magazine show. If I can't cite the source, I'm sorry. This is not
: a UL. This is fact. If you wish to flame now, go ahead.

"Fact ..." - that word again...

: The posters to this thread could not even remember that Conrad Bains had

: nothing to do with Diff'rent Strokes, so... they aren't being criticised
: for their ignorance or their lack of citations.

That's because THEY WERE RIGHT - Conrad BAIN *WAS* Mr. Drummond, on
"Diff'rent Strokes".

<http://us.imdb.com/cache/person-exact/a6541>

: Also, If you wish to quote me, quote the whole post. Don't take anything

: out of context. Taking quotes out of context is another contributing
: factor to the "formulization of folklore."

Okay.

: Thanks, Flame on,
: Steve

If I were you, I'd feel pretty STUPID right now.

- Tae

Tae H Kim

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Steven Tyler (sct...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

: Steve Delurks:

: Permit me to join your thread. Conrad Bains never appeared on Diff'rent
: Strokes as a regular character. He played Mindy's Father in Mork &
: Mindy, much as it shames to realize that I still know this fact. Bains
: bought the house from Vila and later sued Vila for fraud and Breach of
: Contract (?). I don't know if the suit was settled yet.

You're right - Conrad Bains never appeared on the TV show "Diff'rent
Strokes". However, Conrad BAIN, the Canadian actor, played Mr. Drummond,
the adoptive father of Arnold and Willis Jackson, and was a regular cast
character.

See:

<http://us.imdb.com/cache/title-exact/1408>

for more info about the show, and:

<http://us.imdb.com/cache/person-exact/a6541>

for more info about the actor.

It is *not* true that Conrad BAIN played Pam Dawber's father - Fred
McConnell, in the TV series "Mork and Mindy". Mindy's father in the
series was played by Conrad JANIS. See:

<http://us.imdb.com/cache/title-exact/3575>

for more info about the show, and:

<http://us.imdb.com/cache/person-exact/a68935>

for more info about the actor.

You should really be careful about what you claim to know as 'fact'.

- Tae

Steven Tyler

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

My apologies on the Conrad mix up. I saw the news story with Conrad
Janis about Bob Vila and knew that he played Mindy's father. I got may
Bain mixed up with my Janis. I feel stupid about the Conrad thing, but
my ego is strong enough to deal with it.

Thanks,
STeve

Bermuda999

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Paul Ciszek <pciszek at nyx dot net>, in
>I thought he was arrested for something-or-other...

Thanks to years of protests by celebrities, led by Woody Harrelson,
something-or-other has now been decriminalized.

Tom Betz

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Quoth Paul Ciszek <pciszek at nyx dot net> in <5hd7o8$e...@nyx10.cs.du.edu>:
|ez01...@boris.ucdavis.edu (Rudeboy) writes:
|
|>[eq...@mindspring.com]

|>>[The house renovated by Bob Vila for TV] was later sold to Conrad
|>>Bains, a television actor. You may remember him as the dad from that
|>>program with the little kid who kept saying "What you talkin' bout
|>>Willis?" The name escapes me at the moment.
|
|>"Diff'rent Strokes." The kid to whom you refer is Gary Coleman, who
|>was Webster before Webster was Webster. Gary was the only one of the
|>three young stars of the show not to do hard time.
|
|I thought he was arrested for something-or-other...

He shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

--
|We have tried ignorance | Tom Betz (914) 375-1510 |
|for a very long time, and | Want to send me email? First, read this page: |

V-X

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:59:37 -0800, in alt.folklore.urban, Steven Tyler
<sct...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>The posters to this thread could not even remember that Conrad Bains had
>nothing to do with Diff'rent Strokes, so... they aren't being criticised
>for their ignorance or their lack of citations.

That's because Conrad Bain (not "Bains") played the father, Mr. Drummond, for
the entire 1978-86 run of "Diff'rent Strokes."

What Conrad Bain *really* had nothing to do with was "Mork & Mindy"--it was
Conrad *Janis,* who recently appeared in the Jim Carrey vehicle _The Cable Guy_,
who played Mindy's dad.

>Also, If you wish to quote me, quote the whole post. Don't take anything
>out of context. Taking quotes out of context is another contributing
>factor to the "formulization of folklore."

Was that enough context for you? By your own acid test--knowing about the
careers of the two Conrads--you shouldn't be taken seriously at all from here on
in.

Live by the tube, die by the tube.

*Plonk.*

Visit the Jack Chick Archive and Loads o' Groove at:
http://www.ungh.com
"He can't have been an ordinary person.
His actions take up a whole page."
--Chinese Propaganda Comic, 1965

V-X

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:55:53 -0800, in alt.folklore.urban, Steven Tyler
<sct...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>my ego is strong enough to deal with it.

I don't think that was in any doubt, not even for a minute.

>Thanks,
>STeve

You forgot to add "Flame On," oh Human Torch.

Visit the Jack Chick Archive and Loads o' Groove at:
http://www.ungh.com

Compare and See If Anyone Matches the UNGH Guarantee:
"We won't commit mass suicide until your
web site is DONE!"

Bob Hiebert

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

In article <333B17...@worldnet.att.net>, Steven Tyler wrote:

Yet another complete reposting of the two previous complete repostings.

<snip>

>Tae H Kim wrote:
>> Steven Tyler (sct...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

<snip>
>> : Also, If you wish to quote me, quote the whole post. Don't take anything

>> : out of context. Taking quotes out of context is another contributing
>> : factor to the "formulization of folklore."

<massive regurgitation deleted>

I agree that it is evil to fracture other people's sentences and
reconstruct thoughts in ways not originally intended. That does NOT mean
you have to repeat every word of a three-level nested debate. If someone
takes you out of context, correct them, flame them, whatever.

If our curiosity is piqued, we are all comp-literate enough to push the
forward and backwards keys to see what the context was.

Even rn lets you scan a thread, furrfu.

Bob Hiebert

E-mail address has bogus info. Modify to reply.

Tae H Kim

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

Steven Tyler (sct...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

: My apologies on the Conrad mix up. I saw the news story with Conrad

: Janis about Bob Vila and knew that he played Mindy's father. I got may
: Bain mixed up with my Janis. I feel stupid about the Conrad thing, but

: my ego is strong enough to deal with it.

*Finally* - someone who's got the balls to post and admit their error,
instead of slinking away. Wish there were more like him.

- Tae

Lon Stowell

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

In article <333a96e2...@news.tiac.net>, Phil Smith <ph...@tiac.net> wrote:

>Since wer're dishing the dirt and it's only you and me, a friend
>worked with on a site where Norm was a subcontractor. He could slam
>down the brews with the best of them. This was when TOH was in one of
>its first seasons and Norm was still doing contracting.

Norm did subcontracting? I thought he was just an excellent
painter who worked as an accountant for a living to earn enough
money to drink beer at Cheers.

McClain Looney

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

In alt.folklore.urban eq...@mindspring.com wrote:

: Bob Vila originally hosted "This Old House", a PBS home improvement
: program. He then started doing commercial advertisements for Sears
: tools. "This Old House" producers felt that hosting a PBS program
: and doing commercial advertisements were incompatible and asked him to
: choose one or the other. Mr Vila chose commercial television.

I have been a long time fan of the show, and recall hearing that
Mr. Vila's demise came about due to a serious gambling habit that
basically it ruined his life and career. He started doing Sears
commercials well after he was booted from This Old House.

As an aside, that pratt who hosts the show now has all the personality
of, well, a bag of hammers.

Mr. Looney

Rick Tyler

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:27:46 -0400, johnny ray <jus...@home.com>
wrote:

:eq...@mindspring.com wrote:
:>
<snip stuff I was going to post on, but Bo beat me to it>

:Related to this: I used to enjoy watching Vila's old PBS series far

:more than I do with his recent work. He seems to be impatient, as if he
:just wants everything to "click" smoothly. The old show had a more
:relaxed, lazy-afternoon-watching-construction feel to it that made it
:more pleasant. I have wondered if this has anything to do with Vila
:being more of a star, and thus more demanding, or if this is a
:difference caused simply by differences in the production group.

:
Let's cut to the chase. Bob's a putz. Norm Abrams, Tom Silva, Rich
Trethewey, the nice architect, the funky landscaper, the pregnant
lighting woman, and the cranky mason are the people who always made
"This Old House" work. (I know all of their names. This is how I
think of them.) At TOH, Bob worked for Russ Morash, the Prime Deity
of how-to television in America. Without Russ to guide him, Bob's
natural show-off tendencies have been turned loose. It's sad.

On the other hand, Steve Thomas is one of history's great everyman
types. He _asks_ experts what they are doing, lets _them_ tell their
stories, and fills in for us, the viewer, whenever narration is
needed. Bob needs to be the expert. The man cannot shut up. Through
Steve's POV, though, we get to see experts at work. At its best, TOH
is almost breathtaking. There are still craftsmen (fill in
"craftspersons" if you want) in the world, you just have to be willing
to pay for them, and TOH brings them to my Mitsubishi every week.

I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...

-- Rick "Huge Fan" Tyler

---

That's 'rty...@concentric.net' every other address is just a cheap imitation.

Rick Tyler

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:58:42 GMT, ph...@tiac.net (Phil Smith) wrote:

<snip>
:
[...]

See? Norm has _always_ been the cool one. The scenes where Norm and
Tommy are walking around the relic of the barn shaking their heads are
some of the best in TOH history.

This dialogue was from a different show, but they could have used it
in the barn:

Norm: They don't build 'em like they used to.
Tommy: And it's a good thing.

When I build my custom home, I'm going to have Norm and Tommy and the
Silva brothers do the carpentry, Rich do plumbing (hot on left, cold
on right, sh*t flows downhill) and HVAC, the cranky mason and funky
landscape guy do their stuff, while Steve Thomas and I sit in
Adirondack chairs drinking beer, talking about sailing, and watching
the pros work. Maybe Heidi will even drop by to lay some tile.

-- Rick the Man of Simple Pleasures

AOL is NBY in ROT13.

Rick Tyler

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On 28 Mar 1997 04:55:52 GMT, tk...@lynx.dac.neu.edu (Tae H Kim) wrote:

:
No big deal, Tae. I think AFU _only_ remembers me by the quantity and
sincerety of my apologies.

-- Rick "No Relation, Probably" Tyler

-----------
"My highschool diploma has cat urine on it. It's 25 years old, the cat is
long dead, the cat urine lives on." -- not sean...@aol.com

Rick Tyler

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On 29 Mar 1997 01:58:43 GMT, McClain Looney <mcc...@legarto.minn.net>
wrote:

<snip incorrect version of Vila's canning>
:
:I have been a long time fan of the show, and recall hearing that

:Mr. Vila's demise came about due to a serious gambling habit that
:basically it ruined his life and career. He started doing Sears
:commercials well after he was booted from This Old House.

The *most likely* reason, one that _allegedly_ came from Russ Morash,
the producer of TOH, is that the sponsors who were paying big bucks to
fund TOH did not like Bob being the spokesmouth for Sears, who was a
competitor of many of of them. Sears was not a major sponsor of TOH.
The sponsors complained to Morash, who gave Vila an ultimatum, who
chose the filthy lucre of Sears over the his pure career on PBS. [ I
believe this was in the "Fine Woodworking" cover story on Norm Abrams.
I'll check when I can and confess if I was wrong. ]

There is no question that Vila was shilling for Sears long (2 yrs
plus?) before he left TOH.

I've never heard the gambling story, but it wouldn't surprise me.

BTW, Norm has always refused to do commercial endorsements. He was
quoted in "Fine Woodworking" as saying that he felt it was a conflict
of interest. [ A moment of silence for a man of character. ]
:
:As an aside, that pratt who hosts the show now has all the personality

:of, well, a bag of hammers.

McClain, come back to the light. How many fingers am I holding up?
Do you know what day of the week this is? When I get to 10 you will
feel normal again, and stop saying those foolish, unsupportable things
about Steve.

1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..10

There, don't you feel better now?

-- Rick "Glad to help" Tyler

The Microsoft motto is, "Quality is Job 1.1."

mobro

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:59:20 GMT, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler)
wrote:

>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...
>
>-- Rick "Huge Fan" Tyler

Is this the SAME Rick Tyler arrested for stalking Norm Abrams, grabbing scrap
lumber and dull saw bladdes from the Yankee Workshop dumpster? Folks, he even
offered to give his firstborn child into indentured servitude! <G>

mobro

Mark C. Mudgett

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

In article <333cdd7b....@news.mindspring.com>,

<eq...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:59:20 GMT, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick
>Tyler) wrote:
>>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
>>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...

Maybe not an ego, but he is very possessive of his tools. On TOH
as well as NYW, he is unable to mention any tool without preceding
it with "my". He doesn't use A router, he uses HIS router.

>With all due respect to Norm and his craftmanship....couldn't you do
>almost as well with $300,000 worth of power tools and enough bar
>clamps to hold the Queen Mary together?

Mark C. Mudgett

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

In article <333d1540....@news.concentric.net>,

Rick Tyler <rty...@concentric.net.goaway> wrote:

> How many fingers am I holding up?

It better be more than one!

Dan Hunting

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

Mark C. Mudgett wrote:

> Maybe not an ego, but he is very possessive of his tools. On TOH
> as well as NYW, he is unable to mention any tool without preceding
> it with "my". He doesn't use A router, he uses HIS router.

Correction: Norm uses his "routah" and "belt sandah."

McClain Looney

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

In alt.folklore.urban Rick Tyler <rty...@concentric.net.goaway> wrote:

: McClain, come back to the light. How many fingers am I holding up?
: Do you know what day of the week this is? When I get to 10 you will

: feel normal again, and stop saying those foolish, unsupportable things
: about Steve.

Listen here Richard, before you start bandying about rumors of Steve
having a personality (even a prickly one like bob's), you'd better
think twice. If you do not cease this blatant propaganda, I shall be
forced to mention gl*ss fl*w.

Mr. "It's Mister to you bub" Looney

Larry Preuss

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

In article <5hjarg$g...@northshore.shore.net>, mud...@shore.net (Mark C.
Mudgett) wrote:

> In article <333cdd7b....@news.mindspring.com>,
> <eq...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:59:20 GMT, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick
> >Tyler) wrote:
> >>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
> >>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...
>

> Maybe not an ego, but he is very possessive of his tools. On TOH
> as well as NYW, he is unable to mention any tool without preceding
> it with "my". He doesn't use A router, he uses HIS router.

Funny, that's not what I hear most carpenters call their tools. I guess I
just thought they all bore the same trademark.
LP

Peter van der Linden

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

<eq...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>With all due respect to Norm and his craftmanship....couldn't you do
>almost as well with $300,000 worth of power tools and enough bar
>clamps to hold the Queen Mary together?

The worst aspect is his ten gazillions jigs 'N Stuff. He's got a
jig for building entire filigreed, inlaid, veenered tables, I swear.
He pushes a tree in a one end, with his little lollipop stick,
there's a huge buzzing whining roar, a spray of sawdust, and the
entire finished table drops out at the other end.

And he's got a fondness for dadoes that I find suspicious in one
so hirsute.

ObUL: the engineering term "Jig" was banned at Lockheed in the 1980's.
It was a fireable offense to say it, on the grounds that it was a
racial slur.

--
Peter van der Linden Java Programmers FAQ: http://www.best.com/~pvdl
-disclaimer-

Rick Tyler

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:30:28 GMT, mo...@peernet.net (mobro) wrote:

:On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:59:20 GMT, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler)
:wrote:
:
:
:>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
:>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...

:>
:>-- Rick "Huge Fan" Tyler

:
:Is this the SAME Rick Tyler arrested for stalking Norm Abrams, grabbing scrap
:lumber and dull saw bladdes from the Yankee Workshop dumpster? Folks, he even
:offered to give his firstborn child into indentured servitude! <G>

It would have to be the second one. I already traded the first one
for a Unisaw.

-- Rick "Anyone want to swap their good 14" bandsaw for my slightly
used brother-in-law?" Tyler

-------------------------------

"I guess you'll have to hammer later." -- Chris Knight

Ed Foster

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

In article <3339c166...@orion.spacelab.net>, hip...@spacelab.net
(Hipster) wrote:

> Folks:

> You know that guy from "This Old House" and "The Renovation Guide"? I
> remarked to my wife that he seemed like a decent chap (at least as
> much as any other TV muckety-muck, anyway) and she said "Oh no!
> Someone in my office said he sold a house to someone and the pipes
> were all rotten, and the porch was falling off, and they are suing
> him, etc., etc." I tried searching for recent events and news items
> that might confirm or deny this, but no luck. Anyone know anything
> about this?

I vaguely remember reading (quite some years ago) about Bob Vila doing
some work in Boston without getting the proper permits. I can't recall if
this was before or after he left This Old House. Maybe this will jog
someone else's memory.

There was also an incident of one client of This old house sueing, or
threatening to, because he claimed he were forced to do, and partially pay
for, much more than he had anticipated. Again, I can't remember if this
was before or after Bob's departure.

--
Ed Foster
erfo...@ziplink.net

Tony Lima

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

Ed Foster <erfo...@ziplink.net> wrote:

EF> In article <3339c166...@orion.spacelab.net>, hip...@spacelab.net
EF> (Hipster) wrote:

EF> > You know that guy from "This Old House" and "The Renovation Guide"? I
EF> > remarked to my wife that he seemed like a decent chap (at least as
EF> > much as any other TV muckety-muck, anyway) and she said "Oh no!
EF> > Someone in my office said he sold a house to someone and the pipes
EF> > were all rotten, and the porch was falling off, and they are suing
EF> > him, etc., etc." I tried searching for recent events and news items
EF> > that might confirm or deny this, but no luck. Anyone know anything
EF> > about this?

EF> I vaguely remember reading (quite some years ago) about Bob Vila doing
EF> some work in Boston without getting the proper permits. I can't recall if
EF> this was before or after he left This Old House. Maybe this will jog
EF> someone else's memory.

Many years ago, I actually went to a house-warming party at
Bob Vila's then-newly-refurbished residence. (His wife was in
classes with my wife.) Don't know if he did the work himself
or not, but the place was a palace. I was quite impressed.

Now whether he (a) got the proper permits or (b) does the same
quality work when working for paying customers, I can't say.
However, he seemed like a nice enough guy. - Tony

* RM 1.31 2547 *

Internet: tony...@toadhall.com (Tony Lima)

Rick Tyler

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On 29 Mar 1997 18:36:43 GMT, McClain Looney <mcc...@legarto.minn.net>
wrote:

Hitler! Nazis! Hitler! Nazis!

-- Rick "Take That, Meany Head" Tyler

Articulate Mandible

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

In article <5hjarg$g...@northshore.shore.net> mud...@shore.net (Mark C. Mudgett) writes:
>In article <333cdd7b....@news.mindspring.com>,
> <eq...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:59:20 GMT, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick
>>Tyler) wrote:
>>>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
>>>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...
>
>Maybe not an ego, but he is very possessive of his tools. On TOH
>as well as NYW, he is unable to mention any tool without preceding
>it with "my". He doesn't use A router, he uses HIS router.

Which one? According to Steve Thomas, in a live presentation at
a local[1*] how-to fair recenty, Norm's motto is "Why change bits?"
Or, as J. Durante would say, "I gotta million of 'em! Hotchachacha!"

>>With all due respect to Norm and his craftmanship....couldn't you do
>>almost as well with $300,000 worth of power tools and enough bar
>>clamps to hold the Queen Mary together?

Do a Roy Underhill [2*] and use all hand, foot, or water powered
tools.

ObWackyIdea: Have Norm do a guest spot on Underhill's program
and Underhill ditto on Norm's.

[1*] Orchard Supply Hardware is a local chain of upper-middle-
class hardware and garden supply stores. The stores put on
events two or three times a year which feature the products
they carry and lectures and demonstrations with them.

[2*] He's a hysterical hystorian from Nawth Carolina who produces
and stars on a public TeeVee program called "The Woodwright's Shop."
Give him a froe, a drawknife, and a shaving horse, and he'll make
a Windsor chair in a half hour.

ObUnderhillQuote: "sharp as a froe."
--
Rt. Rev. Artie the Hinged Jaw "Stop Casting Porosity"
"i am short but i am dangerus" binky.

David K. Bryant

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

mo...@peernet.net (mobro) writes:

>>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
>>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...
>>

>Is this the SAME Rick Tyler arrested for stalking Norm Abrams, grabbing scrap

>lumber and dull saw bladdes from the Yankee Workshop dumpster? Folks, he even
>offered to give his firstborn child into indentured servitude! <G>

Indentured Servant? I think not.
An appreticeship program maybe.

Rick Tyler

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997 02:35:01 GMT, mand...@bongo.tele.com (Articulate
Mandible) wrote:

<snip>
:[Roy Underhill] [is] a hysterical hystorian from Nawth Carolina who produces

:and stars on a public TeeVee program called "The Woodwright's Shop."
:Give him a froe, a drawknife, and a shaving horse, and he'll make
:a Windsor chair in a half hour.

I've seen his program. The work he produces in his manual frenzy
reminds me of the lizard-eating scene in "Crocodile Dundee." On the
show broadcast today on KOCE he built a craftsman-style end table,
book holder thingie. The through mortise-and-tenons had gaps big
enough to stick a #20 biscuit in (notice the clever use of irony).

BTW: I now own and use a pretty complete set of hand saws thanks to
Roy's influence. I just think this manual stuff should be taken in
context with the last 200 years of technology.

-- Rick "You could build furniture like that, but it looks like sh*t"

hi...@millcomm.com

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

In <333cc94a....@news.concentric.net>, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler) writes:
>Let's cut to the chase. Bob's a putz. Norm Abrams, Tom Silva, Rich
>Trethewey, the nice architect, the funky landscaper, the pregnant
>lighting woman, and the cranky mason are the people who always made
>"This Old House" work. (I know all of their names. This is how I
>think of them.) At TOH, Bob worked for Russ Morash, the Prime Deity
>of how-to television in America. Without Russ to guide him, Bob's
>natural show-off tendencies have been turned loose. It's sad.
>
>On the other hand, Steve Thomas is one of history's great everyman
>types. He _asks_ experts what they are doing, lets _them_ tell their
>stories, and fills in for us, the viewer, whenever narration is
>needed. Bob needs to be the expert. The man cannot shut up. Through
>Steve's POV, though, we get to see experts at work. At its best, TOH
>is almost breathtaking. There are still craftsmen (fill in
>"craftspersons" if you want) in the world, you just have to be willing
>to pay for them, and TOH brings them to my Mitsubishi every week.
>
>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...

Nah, Steve Thomas is as much of a pain as Bob Villa.

Dan Hicks
Hey!! My advice is free -- take it for what it's worth!
http://www.millcomm.com/~danhicks

hi...@millcomm.com

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

In <333cdd7b....@news.mindspring.com>, eq...@mindspring.com writes:
>On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:59:20 GMT, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick
>Tyler) wrote:
>

>>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
>>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...
>
>With all due respect to Norm and his craftmanship....couldn't you do
>almost as well with $300,000 worth of power tools and enough bar
>clamps to hold the Queen Mary together?

Interesting point. In the early shows, Norm acted like he was afraid of
electricity. You never saw him pick up a power tool. Now he's surrounded
with them. Can you say "endorsement contracts"?

Len Berlind

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

Peter van der Linden <lin...@positive.eng.sun.com> wrote:

>ObUL: the engineering term "Jig" was banned at Lockheed in the 1980's.
>It was a fireable offense to say it, on the grounds that it was a
>racial slur.

Loath as I am to follow up on such an utterly dripping wet
greenhorn arriviste, I must add that a similar situation holds at Boeing.
E.g. a three-story jig used for assembling 777 wings is referred as a
'tool', which eny fule kno is an implement one holds in one's hand.

Bob Church

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

In article <5hmod8$s...@panix2.panix.com>
lber...@panix.com (Len Berlind) writes:

It must be September, two newbies in a row.'Tool' is a verb, as in 'in
my little go getter'.

Bob Church

Emily Kelly

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

Rick Tyler <rty...@concentric.net.goaway> wrote:
>On 28 Mar 1997 04:55:52 GMT, tk...@lynx.dac.neu.edu (Tae H Kim) wrote:
>
>:*Finally* - someone who's got the balls to post and admit their error,
>:instead of slinking away. Wish there were more like him.

Or just yelling louder. Yeah, graciousness is always a pleasure to read.
And it's not always easy to be gracious after a flame, as I know from
bitter experience.

>No big deal, Tae. I think AFU _only_ remembers me by the quantity and
>sincerety of my apologies.

You've <sob> never apologized to *me*.

Emily "but that's all right, I don't feel left out at all..." Kelly
--
"Tell that fuicking cabal that KIrk is pissed poster of the year. Like
**nopbody&** can operate a fucking coputer when he/she is pissed as wekk as

Rose Marie Holt

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

In article <E7vo6...@boss.cs.ohiou.edu>, chu...@art.ohiou.edu (Bob
Church) wrote:

Current usage includes "an employee whose job description does not include
thinking", as in, "Dont ask me, I'm just a tool"

Robert E. Lewis

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

eq...@mindspring.com wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:59:20 GMT, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick
> Tyler) wrote:
>

> >I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
> >_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...
>
> With all due respect to Norm and his craftmanship....couldn't you do
> almost as well with $300,000 worth of power tools and enough bar
> clamps to hold the Queen Mary together?

Now, see, I have a theory on this: Ol' Norm tells his better
half, "Sorry, Honey, we can't aford to get away to Martha's
Vineyard this weekend, 'cause I have to buy a left-handed,
half-blind, hemi-semi-demi-quaver dovetail jig for the show."

Norm knows that Mrs. Norm watches "DamnYank..." er, I mean
"New Yankee Workshop" (Sorry, Ahm uh Southerner), and that he'd
darn well better USE that left-handed, half-blind, hemi-semi-
demi-quaver dovetail jig.

I'm not criticisizing, mind you. I have to admit that I can't
get the "Woodworker's Supply" catalog home from the Post Office
without peeking inside, and I'd rather have another half-dozen
clamps than a weekend in Martha's Vineyard, anyday.

Guy Daugherty

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

> :[Roy Underhill] [is] a hysterical hystorian from Nawth Carolina who produces
> :and stars on a public TeeVee program called "The Woodwright's Shop."

> I've seen his program. The work he produces in his manual frenzy

> reminds me of the lizard-eating scene in "Crocodile Dundee." On the
> show broadcast today on KOCE he built a craftsman-style end table,
> book holder thingie. The through mortise-and-tenons had gaps big
> enough to stick a #20 biscuit in (notice the clever use of irony).

And his fingers in the closeups look like he must have a pretty
grisly outtakes tape.
I also like the fellow on Hometime who can't hit a nail three
times in a row, patricularly if it's on a piece of finishing trim.

Guy "hell, _I_ could build that stuff in _Norm's_ shop" Daugherty.

Bill Leibe

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

lin...@positive.eng.sun.com (Peter van der Linden) wrote:

[...]

>ObUL: the engineering term "Jig" was banned at Lockheed in the 1980's.
>It was a fireable offense to say it, on the grounds that it was a
>racial slur.

aye, 1969, Morgan Yacht Corp., same policy, they were "fixtures".

Bill Leibe Rail Down on Starboard le...@intnet.net

fleshman@keyway.net Handyman the Barbarian

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

I met Norm Abram at an Orchard Hardware home improvement show in Pasadena
California last year. Super nice guy. bought his book, Measure Twice, Cut
Once.
" * * * * " As for Bob Villain .................. major jackass.
Jim

David K. Bryant <dbr...@netcom.com> wrote in article
<dbryantE...@netcom.com>...

> mo...@peernet.net (mobro) writes:
>
> >>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
> >>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...

Bob De Weese

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

Larry Preuss wrote:

> Funny, that's not what I hear most carpenters call their tools. I guess I
> just thought they all bore the same trademark.
> LP

You must mean that famous German Co. "Fuken Tools, LTD". :)

Bobby

Bob De Weese
Certified Professional Locksmith
bear...@bigfoot.com

* "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
* how to say it, and whom to say it to." *

Schmendrick

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97
> >On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:59:20 GMT, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick
> >Tyler) wrote:
> >

> >>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
> >>_have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...
> >
> >With all due respect to Norm and his craftmanship....couldn't you do
> >almost as well with $300,000 worth of power tools and enough bar
> >clamps to hold the Queen Mary together?
>
> Interesting point. In the early shows, Norm acted like he was afraid of
> electricity. You never saw him pick up a power tool. Now he's surrounded
> with them. Can you say "endorsement contracts"?
>
> Dan Hicks
> Hey!! My advice is free -- take it for what it's worth!
> http://www.millcomm.com/~danhicks

I am getting Norm's old shows (New Yankee Workshop) on our cable system
now (I wish I could remember to tape them) and what I love is seeing
Norm use jigs, this is also how I knew they were old shows. The new
shows have him using a $5500 prototype tool instead.

They were down the street from me recently filming the Tucson show and I
wanted just to shake his hand and say "thanks". My plumber is now
looking into the flexible water pipes that they showcased on that show.
--

Nicholas A Brigham
http://uainfo.arizona.edu/~nbrigham

R. Martin Caskey

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Bill Leibe wrote:

> lin...@positive.eng.sun.com (Peter van der Linden) wrote:

> >ObUL: the engineering term "Jig" was banned at Lockheed in the 1980's.
> >It was a fireable offense to say it, on the grounds that it was a
> >racial slur.

> aye, 1969, Morgan Yacht Corp., same policy, they were "fixtures".

Anyone want to guess how long "male" and "female" connectors have left??
We should start a contest to come up with new names - I'll start with
"Mars Thingys" and "Venus Thingys."

Martin Caskey
Towson, Maryland

Kenneth Crudup

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

In article <333cc94a....@news.concentric.net>,
rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler) says:

>I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is.

I have zero inclination to "make anything", but for a while, I was watching
"Yankee Home Workshop" (?) every Sunday morning. He made it look so *easy*.

-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Unix & OS/2 Software Consultant, Scott County Consulting
ke...@panix.com CI$: 75032,3044 +1 617 524 5929/4949 Home/Office

hi...@millcomm.com

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

In <334042...@uainfo.arizona.edu>, Schmendrick <no.spam....@uainfo.arizona.edu> writes:
>hi...@millcomm.com wrote:
>>
>> In <333cdd7b....@news.mindspring.com>, eq...@mindspring.com writes:

>> >With all due respect to Norm and his craftmanship....couldn't you do
>> >almost as well with $300,000 worth of power tools and enough bar
>> >clamps to hold the Queen Mary together?
>>
>> Interesting point. In the early shows, Norm acted like he was afraid of
>> electricity. You never saw him pick up a power tool. Now he's surrounded
>> with them. Can you say "endorsement contracts"?
>
>I am getting Norm's old shows (New Yankee Workshop) on our cable system
>now (I wish I could remember to tape them) and what I love is seeing
>Norm use jigs, this is also how I knew they were old shows. The new
>shows have him using a $5500 prototype tool instead.
>
>They were down the street from me recently filming the Tucson show and I
>wanted just to shake his hand and say "thanks". My plumber is now
>looking into the flexible water pipes that they showcased on that show.

When I talked about the "early shows", I was talking about the first few
years of TOH. I don't think Norm even owned power tools back then.

to...@fred.net

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Rick Tyler (rty...@concentric.net.goaway) wrote:
:
: Hitler! Nazis! Hitler! Nazis!

:
: -- Rick "Take That, Meany Head" Tyler

Albert Speer! Albert Speer!

To...@Fred.Net
http://www.fred.net/tomr
"Bring back Jo-Jo to Hometime!"

Rick Tyler

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

On 30 Mar 1997 23:11:55 -0500, eke...@acpub.duke.edu (Emily Kelly)
wrote:

>Rick Tyler <rty...@concentric.net.goaway> wrote:
<I'm sorry I snipped this>

>>No big deal, Tae. I think AFU _only_ remembers me by the quantity and
>>sincerety of my apologies.
>
>You've <sob> never apologized to *me*.
>
>Emily "but that's all right, I don't feel left out at all..." Kelly
>--

My dear Emily,

I am so, very, very sorry. I regret any action or inaction, thought,
word, deed, behavior, attitude, calumny, treachery, violation,
betrayal, concept, conceit, belief, hand gesture, sound, writing,
odor, or psychic vibration that has caused you any discomfort,
cognitive dissonance, pique, unhappiness, sorrow, ennui, depression,
fugue, grumbling, anger, or any other unpleasant emotional state.

Blue-green algae would have the sense to not have done what I have
done. Medieval torturers would blush. Richard Nixon would look
askance. Not a single sentient entity in the entire space-time
continuum ever would or will behave as disgracefully as me.

I am sorrowful beyond comprehension that I have caused such an
ill-conceived effect upon you and will take it upon myself to dedicate
the remainder of my pathetic, shattered days trying, in some small
way, to redeem an iota of your approval. Although I am in all ways
unworthy, it is all that is left to me.

Your humble and despicable servant,

Rick

(I have been married for 18 years. Can you tell?)

That's without 'goaway' for a SPAM free life.

Moe Skeeter

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

hi...@millcomm.com wrote:
> When I talked about the "early shows", I was talking about the first few
> years of TOH. I don't think Norm even owned power tools back then.

You guys are way out of line. Norm was discovered at work by the
producer as a carpenter. Apparently, the guy was incredibly fast
and the finished results excellent. He was completely booked by
word of mouth referels. And really, that *is* his claim to fame,
quick and dirty, but excellent *looking* results. I have a couple
of his books, and when you look really closely, his drawers have
gaps and don't fit all that well....

--
TimW
Halfordian Golfer

Ed Pollak

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

> Anyone want to guess how long "male" and "female" connectors have left??
> We should start a contest to come up with new names - I'll start with
> "Mars Thingys" and "Venus Thingys."

> Martin Caskey

How about "Inies and Outies"?

Ed Pollak

Keith Brewster

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Gappy, loose drawers? Are you saying he should have been a plumber?

-Keith

jon murray

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

R. Martin Caskey wrote:

> Anyone want to guess how long "male" and "female" connectors have left??
> We should start a contest to come up with new names - I'll start with
> "Mars Thingys" and "Venus Thingys."

PC mode on.
Well, male and female connectors shouldn't be threatened as they do
describe relevant attributes. It's the unecessary specification of
gender in, say, businessman, mailman, station master that makes them
objectionable.

Jon

Rick Tyler

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

On Tue, 01 Apr 1997 17:23:09 -0700, Moe Skeeter <twa...@rof.net>
wrote:

:hi...@millcomm.com wrote:
:> When I talked about the "early shows", I was talking about the first few
:> years of TOH. I don't think Norm even owned power tools back then.
:
:You guys are way out of line. Norm was discovered at work by the
:producer as a carpenter. Apparently, the guy was incredibly fast
:and the finished results excellent. He was completely booked by
:word of mouth referels. And really, that *is* his claim to fame,
:quick and dirty, but excellent *looking* results. I have a couple
:of his books, and when you look really closely, his drawers have
:gaps and don't fit all that well....

:
Tim, you seem like a nice guy, but please keep up with the thread. We
have already all agreed that Norm is a first-class
carpenter/house-builder and an OK hobbyist furniture maker. Now, what
did you want to add?

Furrfu.

-- Rick the Tired

"Don't ask me, I'm just a tool." -- Rose Marie Holt

+ The real address would leave out "goaway" +

Kenneth Crudup

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <5hsiio$6...@kiowa.wildstar.net>,
kbr...@kiowa.wildstar.net (Keith Brewster) says:

>Gappy, loose drawers? Are you saying he should have been a plumber?

Just say *NO* to crack!

Bob Hiebert

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <33413ddb...@news.concentric.net>,
rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler) wrote:

>On 30 Mar 1997 23:11:55 -0500, eke...@acpub.duke.edu (Emily Kelly)

>>You've <sob> never apologized to *me*.

>My dear Emily,

<major snip of gratuitous grovelling?

>Your humble and despicable servant,
>
>Rick

Rick,
You should be ashamed of yourself. First you apologize to everyone but
Emily. Then, you tease her with the start of an apology, but run on for so
long that there is NO WAY she can include this in her .sig. How is she
supposed to humiliate you with a quote that long?

Now you get back in there and tell her your sorry!
Bob Hiebert

--
E-mail address has bogus info. Modify to reply.

For more information on Urban legends,
set your sites on http://www.urbanlegends.com

Vicki Robinson

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In a previous article, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler) said:

>I am so, very, very sorry. I regret any action or inaction, thought,
>word, deed, behavior, attitude, calumny, treachery, violation,
>betrayal, concept, conceit, belief, hand gesture, sound, writing,
>odor, or psychic vibration that has caused you any discomfort,
>cognitive dissonance, pique, unhappiness, sorrow, ennui, depression,
>fugue, grumbling, anger, or any other unpleasant emotional state.

[wondrous apology regretfully snipped.]

>(I have been married for 18 years. Can you tell?)

Do you conduct classes? I have a student with lots of potential, just
needs that personal touch.

Vicki "He failed the first course." Robinson
--
Vicki Robinson
Visit my home page at <a href="http://www.rit.edu/~vjrnts"> Vicki's Home Page

Emily Kelly

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Rick Tyler <rty...@concentric.net.goaway> wrote:
>On 30 Mar 1997 23:11:55 -0500, eke...@acpub.duke.edu (Emily Kelly)
>wrote:

>>You've <sob> never apologized to *me*.
>
>I am so, very, very sorry.

Oh, it's quite all right. I wasn't *really* hurt. But don't let it
happen again, okay? I'd hate for the group to be shattered by another
apology of this magnitude.

>I regret any action...that has caused you...fugue...

No no no. Fugues are *good*. I can't play them, but that reflects on me
rather than them.

>...and will take it upon myself to dedicate

>the remainder of my pathetic, shattered days trying, in some small
>way, to redeem an iota of your approval. Although I am in all ways
>unworthy, it is all that is left to me.

I dunno, I think maybe I could get used to this.

Emily the Mollified
--
"...the totality of assness in all its glory, the universal, the ideal,
the single unitary all-enveloping rump from which all others derive their

Drew Lawson

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

> > Anyone want to guess how long "male" and "female" connectors have left??
> > We should start a contest to come up with new names - I'll start with
> > "Mars Thingys" and "Venus Thingys."
>

> > Martin Caskey
>
> How about "Inies and Outies"?

Pin empowered and pin challenged.

--
Drew Lawson | I will crawl through my past
dla...@aimnet.com | over stones, blood and glass

Rick Tyler

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

wrote:

:You've <sob> never apologized to *me*.

My Dear Emily,

I understand than in the depths of my inconsideration I have forced
you to waste many milliseconds of your literally invaluable time
reading my previous inadequate and enervating apology. I would like
to shorten it, so as not to squander more synaptic activity. To wit,

I deeply regret any action or inaction, thought, word, deed,
treachery, concept, conceit, hand gesture, sound, writing, or odor
that has caused you any discomfort, pique, sorrow, ennui, depression,
fugue, anger, or other unpleasant emotional state.

Your humble and despicable servant,

rick "does not deserve to capitalize his name" tyler

Paul Tomblin

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In a previous article, vjr...@xcski.com (Vicki Robinson) said:
>In a previous article, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler) said:
>>(I have been married for 18 years. Can you tell?)
>>

>Do you conduct classes? I have a student with lots of potential, just
>needs that personal touch.
>
>Vicki "He failed the first course." Robinson

Sorry.

--
Paul Tomblin (ptom...@xcski.com), Rochester Flying Club
RFC is selling two of our PA28-181 Piper Archer IIs. See web page for details.

Helge Moulding

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Vicki Robinson wrote:
> Do you conduct classes? I have a student with lots of potential, just
> needs that personal touch.

Sometimes married life seems like one long apology.
--
Helge "Sorry to hear about it, Paul." Moulding
mailto:h...@slc.unisys.com Just another guy

David Lesher

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

vjr...@xcski.com (Vicki Robinson) writes:

>Do you conduct classes? I have a student with lots of potential, just
>needs that personal touch.

>Vicki "He failed the first course." Robinson

It was the Zima! Keep him sober and he'll be OK....
If he falls off the wagon, give him lots of lutefish.

Tim Fischer

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <33418C...@netconnect.com.au>, jo...@netconnect.com.au wrote:

> R. Martin Caskey wrote:
> >

> > Anyone want to guess how long "male" and "female" connectors have left??
> > We should start a contest to come up with new names - I'll start with
> > "Mars Thingys" and "Venus Thingys."
>

> PC mode on.
> Well, male and female connectors shouldn't be threatened as they do
> describe relevant attributes. It's the unecessary specification of
> gender in, say, businessman, mailman, station master that makes them
> objectionable.

Yeah, but "station mistress" sounds like something entirely different...

-Tim

--
---------------------------------------
Tim Fischer

The following email address is mangled to prevent automated
unsolicited junk mail. Replace the '_AT_' with an '@':

tfischer_AT_codamusic.com

Moe Skeeter

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Rick Tyler wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 1997 17:23:09 -0700, Moe Skeeter <twa...@rof.net>
> wrote:
>
> :hi...@millcomm.com wrote:
> :> When I talked about the "early shows", I was talking about the first few
> :> years of TOH. I don't think Norm even owned power tools back then.
> :
> :You guys are way out of line. Norm was discovered at work by the
> :producer as a carpenter. Apparently, the guy was incredibly fast
> :and the finished results excellent. He was completely booked by
> :word of mouth referels. And really, that *is* his claim to fame,
> :quick and dirty, but excellent *looking* results. I have a couple
> :of his books, and when you look really closely, his drawers have
> :gaps and don't fit all that well....
> :
> Tim, you seem like a nice guy, but please keep up with the thread. We
> have already all agreed that Norm is a first-class
> carpenter/house-builder and an OK hobbyist furniture maker. Now, what
> did you want to add?
>
> Furrfu.
>
> -- Rick the Tired

Please change you handle to " -- Rick the unofficial moderator of AFU".

Nothing I hate more then double drivel...

Let me ask you a question...Rick The Unnoffical Moderator of AFU...

How many articles on this subject were on my news server when I
1st saw the thread...? Take your time...

But you are right about one thing, I am a nice guy...take care...

--
TimW
Halfordian Golfer

Barbara Mikkelson

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Vicki Robinson (vjr...@xcski.com) wrote:
> In a previous article, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler) said:

>> (I have been married for 18 years. Can you tell?)
>

> Do you conduct classes? I have a student with lots of potential, just
> needs that personal touch.
>
> Vicki "He failed the first course." Robinson

Soup?

Barbara "how in hell does one fail soup? let it down? disappoint it?"
Mikkelson
--
Barbara Mikkelson | You don't ever want to know about her
bmik...@best.com | cat-o'-nine-spoons. - snopes

Bruin

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Schmendrick <no.spam....@uainfo.arizona.edu> wrote:

>hi...@millcomm.com wrote:
>>
>> In <333cdd7b....@news.mindspring.com>, eq...@mindspring.com writes:

>> >With all due respect to Norm and his craftmanship....couldn't you do
>> >almost as well with $300,000 worth of power tools and enough bar
>> >clamps to hold the Queen Mary together?
>>
>> Interesting point. In the early shows, Norm acted like he was afraid of
>> electricity. You never saw him pick up a power tool. Now he's surrounded
>> with them. Can you say "endorsement contracts"?
>>

>> Dan Hicks
>> Hey!! My advice is free -- take it for what it's worth!
>> http://www.millcomm.com/~danhicks

>I am getting Norm's old shows (New Yankee Workshop) on our cable system

>now (I wish I could remember to tape them) and what I love is seeing
>Norm use jigs, this is also how I knew they were old shows. The new
>shows have him using a $5500 prototype tool instead.

>They were down the street from me recently filming the Tucson show and I
>wanted just to shake his hand and say "thanks". My plumber is now
>looking into the flexible water pipes that they showcased on that show.

>--

I was at a home show with Norm last year. He talked and demonstrated
for an hour, then people got in line to ask specific questions. His
next show was in an hour, and he bearly finished with the line of
people before the next show began. He ended up going for over 7 hours
before getting a break. He didn't act like most celebrities.
br...@planet.net

Emily Kelly

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Rick Tyler <rty...@concentric.net.goaway> wrote:

>I deeply regret any action or inaction, thought, word, deed,
>treachery, concept, conceit, hand gesture, sound, writing, or odor
>that has caused you any discomfort, pique, sorrow, ennui, depression,
>fugue, anger, or other unpleasant emotional state.

Yes, but is that what your body language says? I mean, your email address
still says "goaway", and that's not very contrite, is it? I find myself
wondering how you *really* feel.

>+ The real address would leave out "goaway" +

Emily "Oh, right, try and excuse it that way.
I don't think anyone's buying it" Kelly

Rick Tyler

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

On Wed, 02 Apr 1997 13:53:05 -0700, Moe Skeeter <twa...@rof.net>
wrote:

<snip my intemperate remarks>

<snip Tim's intemperate remarks>

>But you are right about one thing, I am a nice guy...take care...

>TimW

You're right. I was being a snotty little bully. Please forgive me.

-- rick the immoderator

Fred S

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970331125232.6282A-100000@mail>,

"R. Martin Caskey" <rmca...@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us> wrote:

>Anyone want to guess how long "male" and "female" connectors have left??
>We should start a contest to come up with new names - I'll start with
>"Mars Thingys" and "Venus Thingys."

I read someplace that, in some jurisdictions, "Man Hole covers" are now
officially called "Maintenance Hole covers". Some municipality was
pressured into changing the nomenclature because it offended women
workers who had to enter a "man's hole".

I would have thought the males would have objected first ....

Bob Hiebert

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <dlawson-0204...@news2.aimnet.com>, dla...@aimnet.com (Drew Lawson) wrote:

>In article <3341C4...@mail.netnitco.net>, egpo...@mail.netnitco.net wrote:
>
>> > Anyone want to guess how long "male" and "female" connectors have left??
>> > We should start a contest to come up with new names - I'll start with
>> > "Mars Thingys" and "Venus Thingys."
>>

>> > Martin Caskey
>>
>> How about "Inies and Outies"?
>
>Pin empowered and pin challenged.

This is a great opportunity to solve something that's always had me mixed
up. Many forms of coaxial, triaxial, and twinaxial connectors have
characteristics that are both male and female. That is, the pin challenged
connector goes into the pin empowered connector.

Perhaps we can now have XY, XX, and XXY connectors.

Bob "not THAT kind of mixed up" Hiebert
-----
Newsgroups trimmed to limit confused followups

F Andrew McMichael

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Barbara Mikkelson (bmik...@best.com) wrote:
: Soup?

: Barbara "how in hell does one fail soup? let it down? disappoint it?"
: Mikkelson

Well, the answer's going to broth-er you, but if you have to be
spoon-fed:

By serving it with bad bread, because the bun is the lowest form of
humor.

Andrew "I'll take the heat for this one" McMichael

hi...@millcomm.com

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

In <3341A6...@rof.net>, Moe Skeeter <twa...@rof.net> writes:
>hi...@millcomm.com wrote:
>> When I talked about the "early shows", I was talking about the first few
>> years of TOH. I don't think Norm even owned power tools back then.
>
>You guys are way out of line. Norm was discovered at work by the
>producer as a carpenter. Apparently, the guy was incredibly fast
>and the finished results excellent. He was completely booked by
>word of mouth referels. And really, that *is* his claim to fame,
>quick and dirty, but excellent *looking* results. I have a couple
>of his books, and when you look really closely, his drawers have
>gaps and don't fit all that well....

You sure you're not thinking of the two brothers that were regulars for
several years? When they came on is when you started to see power tools.

Charles Lieberman

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

I don't know about crooked, but I saw him on a talk show last night and he
seems amazingly elitist. He said that cops should be permitted to go in
no-knock in "ghettos" but not in middle- and upper-class areas.

Charles "Than Tommy Hilfiger complained about blacks wearing his clothes and
the president of P & G admitted to being a Satanist" Lieberman
--
Charles A. Lieberman http://members.tripod.com/~calieber/index.htm
Brooklyn, New York, USA

Bob Church

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

In article <5hujeu$c13$1...@nntp1.ba.best.com>
bmik...@best.com (Barbara Mikkelson) writes:

> Soup?
>
> Barbara "how in hell does one fail soup? let it down? disappoint it?"
> Mikkelson

You've never seen my try to eat soup and read at the same time. The
best grade I got was an incomplete. Come to think of it, I wonder what
the morals police would think if they found out that the pages of all
my National Geographics stick together?

Bob Church

Unknown

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Moe Skeeter <twa...@rof.net> cost the Net hundreds, if not thousands
of dollars writing in <3342C7...@rof.net>:

>Please change you handle to " -- Rick the unofficial moderator of AFU".
>
>Nothing I hate more then double drivel...
>
>Let me ask you a question...Rick The Unnoffical Moderator of AFU...
>
>How many articles on this subject were on my news server when I
>1st saw the thread...? Take your time...
>

>But you are right about one thing, I am a nice guy...take care...
>

>--
>TimW

Isn't this so-called Moe Skeeter in fact Tim Walker, or TimW? Or...
T-Bone, as he called himself when he was still a paranoid patriot? Why
don't you hobble on back to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly -- seems to be
one of your most favorite spots.

BTW, Tim, you're looking for the word 'DejaNews'.

Hansje the Suddenly Well Remembering.
+--- Hans Derycke ---- hderycke at mindspring dot com ---------------------+
Why is it that the same people always come up with the conspiracy theories?
-- Michael K. Johnson

Lee Rudolph

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

> Barbara "how in hell does one fail soup? let it down? disappoint it?"
> Mikkelson

What, all my pretty chickens and their dam, at one fail soup?

Lee "dental dam: soup-bib for chix" Rudolph

Andrew Lewis

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Drew Lawson wrote:

> In article <3341C4...@mail.netnitco.net>, egpo...@mail.netnitco.net wrote:
>
> > > Anyone want to guess how long "male" and "female" connectors have left??
> > > We should start a contest to come up with new names - I'll start with
> > > "Mars Thingys" and "Venus Thingys."
> >
> > > Martin Caskey
> >
> > How about "Inies and Outies"?
>
> Pin empowered and pin challenged.

What have Personal Identification Numbers got to do with it?

Andrew "Differently cabled" Lewis

Tim Shoppa

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

In article <3344B3...@kraken.itc.gu.edu.au>,
Andrew Lewis <and...@kraken.itc.gu.edu.au> wrote:

>Drew Lawson wrote:
>> Pin empowered and pin challenged.
>
>What have Personal Identification Numbers got to do with it?

He didn't say "PIN number", so he couldn't have meant what you
thought he did :-).

Tim.

JoAnne Schmitz

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

>>> How about "Inies and Outies"?
>>

>>Pin empowered and pin challenged.

That's a rather pin-centrist way to look at it, don't you think?
How about nipple and mouth? It's natural, it's catchy, and
everyone has at least one of each.

JoAnne the earthy broad
-----
"Such elaboracy is unnecessary and obfuscative."
-Jeffrey Nelson, on alt.folklore.urban

Barbara Mikkelson

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Fred S (fr...@txdirect.net) wrote:

> I read someplace that, in some jurisdictions, "Man Hole covers" are now
> officially called "Maintenance Hole covers".

Sacramento, California, actually. Their city council adopted the term
"maintenance hole" as a replacement for "manhole" on official maps and
documents. Public works officials had jestingly proposed finding a
non-sexist term for these things, but their mayor liked the idea and the
debate quickly spread. As to why "maintenance holes" instead of "person
holes" or god-knows-what-else, the map symbol used to identify the
location of one of these was an MH in a circle. Rather than reprint
all the maps, they went with a non-sexist name that fit the initials.

> Some municipality was pressured into changing the nomenclature because
> it offended women workers who had to enter a "man's hole".

Nope, that's a re-writing of history. Be careful with that. It's too
easy to take a fact and then tack on a presumed "reason" that makes one
side or the other look particularly bad and then use the combination of
the two as a "see how crazy these people are?" weapon.

Barbara "sometimes a manhole is just a manhole" Mikkelson
--
Barbara Mikkelson | Since MedLine is already convinced I'm a drooling
bmik...@best.com | pervert after my search for studies on semen
| flavour.... - Ian York

Judy Johnson

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

On 2 Apr 1997 21:35:26 GMT, bmik...@best.com (Barbara Mikkelson)
wrote:

>Vicki Robinson (vjr...@xcski.com) wrote:
>> In a previous article, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler) said:
>
>>> (I have been married for 18 years. Can you tell?)
>>
>> Do you conduct classes? I have a student with lots of potential, just
>> needs that personal touch.
>>
>> Vicki "He failed the first course." Robinson
>
>Soup?
>

>Barbara "how in hell does one fail soup? let it down? disappoint it?"
>Mikkelson

Simple. You don't give it stock options.

Judy "nuts to soup!" Johnson

Derek Walter

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Of course all the talent on TOH lies anywhere but with Bob. But I wouldn't
ever call him a putz - just a television host (many of whom live in or near
putz-ville). You blew your arguement by even insinuating that Steve Thomas
was anything BUT a putz. I find the guy very irritating. the details are
always completely glossed over or examined in idiot level detail. Under
his helm, the entire show went to crap - going from a home renovation show
to a 'here's what you can do with unlimited money' shopping spree. I
remember one of the first series he hosted consisted of spending over
$250,000 'renovating' a barn into a house. The couple that owned it had
been given the land and buildings, and paid cash for the remainder. I
believe about two or three boards from the original structure ended up in
the finished product. Nothing wrong with that, but don't call it 'This OLD
House'!

Rick Tyler <rty...@concentric.net.goaway> wrote in article
<333cc94a....@news.concentric.net>...
> On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:27:46 -0400, johnny ray <jus...@home.com>
> wrote:
>
> Let's cut to the chase. Bob's a putz. Norm Abrams, Tom Silva, Rich
> Trethewey, the nice architect, the funky landscaper, the pregnant
> lighting woman, and the cranky mason are the people who always made
> "This Old House" work. (I know all of their names. This is how I
> think of them.) At TOH, Bob worked for Russ Morash, the Prime Deity
> of how-to television in America. Without Russ to guide him, Bob's
> natural show-off tendencies have been turned loose. It's sad.
>
> On the other hand, Steve Thomas is one of history's great everyman
> types. He _asks_ experts what they are doing, lets _them_ tell their
> stories, and fills in for us, the viewer, whenever narration is
> needed. Bob needs to be the expert. The man cannot shut up. Through
> Steve's POV, though, we get to see experts at work. At its best, TOH
> is almost breathtaking. There are still craftsmen (fill in
> "craftspersons" if you want) in the world, you just have to be willing
> to pay for them, and TOH brings them to my Mitsubishi every week.

> I cannot even write about how good Norm Abrams is. Does the man even
> _have_ an ego? I have to stop now before I embarass myself...
>

> -- Rick "Huge Fan" Tyler
>
> ---

Rick Tyler

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

On 4 Apr 1997 00:37:43 GMT, "Derek Walter" <wal...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

:Of course all the talent on TOH lies anywhere but with Bob.

A fine start!

:But I wouldn't

:ever call him a putz - just a television host (many of whom live in or near
:putz-ville). You blew your arguement by even insinuating that Steve Thomas
:was anything BUT a putz. I find the guy very irritating.

Uh oh. Go get the hose, honey.

:the details are

:always completely glossed over or examined in idiot level detail. Under
:his helm, the entire show went to crap - going from a home renovation show
:to a 'here's what you can do with unlimited money' shopping spree.

Hello? Do you think that Steve Thomas has one teeny-tiny thing to say
about the content of the show? This Old House has always been 100%
the sole intellectual property of Russ Morash, the Diety of PBS Home
Shows. If you don't like the content of TOH, it's his fault, not
Steve's or Norm's or even Bob's.

Steve Thomas is working as an *actor* who is paid to ask questions and
walk around watching professionals. Steve personally has done home
renovations on his own houses, and has also sailed Polynesian
outriggers across oceans without modern instruments, and generally led
an interesting life. That is not relevant, though. He does not have
to know any more about home renovation than Dan Rather does about
Bosnia.

:I remember one of the first series he hosted consisted of spending over

:$250,000 'renovating' a barn into a house. The couple that owned it had
:been given the land and buildings, and paid cash for the remainder. I
:believe about two or three boards from the original structure ended up in
:the finished product. Nothing wrong with that, but don't call it 'This OLD
:House'!

I believe the actual number was closer to $400,000, but who wants to
quibble? It was the first project of Steve's first year on the show.
The house, barn and land were already owned by the Wickwires (I hope I
spledd that correctly). Nobody "gave" it to them. They built the new
structure from the ground up and I thought it was great television.

Season after season of putting new drywall and toilets into dusty
little cracker boxes would be *boring*. (Hometime sometimes has this
problem. Their best season was when Dean and JoAnne [ sigh ... a
moment of silence for the towering talent of Ms. Liebeler ] built a
log cabin. Since then, mostly bathrooms and decks.) Mixing an
occasional big project in with the remodels is fun.

Let's face it, if you wanted to do home remodeling you would be a lot
better off laying tile or stripping off that old siding than sitting
on your butt on Saturday afternoons watching PBS on the telly.

BTW, as far as what they call it, hey, I don't care. If it's good
television they could even call it "Beavis and Butthead" if they want.

-- Rick "Off-froup but feelin' fine" Tyler

There's no "goaway" in my reel a-dress.

Rick Tyler

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

On Wed, 02 Apr 1997 08:30:14 +1000, jon murray
<jo...@netconnect.com.au> wrote:

:R. Martin Caskey wrote:
<snip connector thingy>
:
:PC mode on.

:Well, male and female connectors shouldn't be threatened as they do
:describe relevant attributes. It's the unecessary specification of
:gender in, say, businessman, mailman, station master that makes them
:objectionable.

[Rick looks furtively left, then right. Sotto voce.] "Why?"

-- Rick "Running off to the red skies in morning" Tyler

"I have hardly ever known a mathematician who was capable of reasoning."
-- Plato

Rick Tyler

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:11:12 GMT, ptom...@xcski.com (Paul Tomblin)
wrote:

<snip>

>>Do you conduct classes? I have a student with lots of potential, just
>>needs that personal touch.
>>
>>Vicki "He failed the first course." Robinson
>

>Sorry.

Very nice work, Paul, but if you hold your chin down just a leeeetle
more, and try not to look her directly in the eyes .... There!
Perfect!

Now say it again: "I'm sorry."

Tomorrow's lesson, Advanced Contrition with Jewelry 303.

-- Rick the Perfesser

"I came in late on this thread, which of course grants me license to make wild
unsubstantiated claims based on utter ignorance." -- Kevin Vigor

+ Remove the extra stuff to e-mail +

Vicki Robinson

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

In a previous article, rty...@concentric.net.goaway (Rick Tyler) said:

>You're right. I was being a snotty little bully. Please forgive me.
>
>-- rick the immoderator

Hey, HEY, HEY!!! There's only one official snotty little bully on
AFU, and it ain't you.

Vicki "Isn't that right, Maddy?" Robinson
--
Vicki Robinson
Visit my home page at <a href="http://www.rit.edu/~vjrnts"> Vicki's Home Page
</a>. My guest book is operative again; stop by!

Madeleine Page

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Vicki Robinson wrote righteously to correct Rick Tyler's dreadful hubris
after he said:

: >You're right. I was being a snotty little bully. Please forgive me.

: Hey, HEY, HEY!!! There's only one official snotty little bully on

: AFU, and it ain't you.

She's absolutely right, correct, spot on and voracious.

: Vicki "Isn't that right, Maddy?" Robinson

Yup, uhuh. Now listen up - you'll only get the dramatis personae once.

*Paul* (the guy who can't manage soup or apologies) is the
official slb of afu. Vicki's the official odd physics professor. Misha is
the official stroppy cow. Phil is the scuba diver, Jilly^WJudy Johnson is
afu's official bug lady, Sean Willard our official fyzzikx wonk, Ewan is
PPOTM, Emily is both official soprano *and* token biped. Will has the afu
stamp of approval as having an MFA, while Harry just manages the first two
letters of that designation. Lizz is afu's voluptuous sex weasel and
canner of spam. Bo is the one in a constant state of surprise with the
omnivorous research assistant. Artie thinks he's the first person to do an
endonym, but "Hinged Jaw" is actually a monicker. We're working on his
basic understanding. Cindy is the language mechanic, Alice the
language maven and Lee the most obscur^Werudite language mangler on
the froup.Several people are dead and Paul has an endless supply of
nickels.

It's simple, really. I'm surprised I^Wmy research assistant has to tell
you these things.

Madeleine "ice weasel and afu official lay analyst" Page

--
For the afu archive, go to www.urbanlegends.com

F. Douglas Wilson

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

282A-100000@mail> <3341C4...@mail.netnitco.net> <dlawson-0204...@news2.aimnet.com> <5hvj11$c...@mtinsc04.worldnet.att.net>
On Wed, 02 Apr 97 22:32:50 GMT Bob Hiebert
(Bob.H...@worldnet.REMOVE.att.net) wrote:

> Perhaps we can now have XY, XX, and XXY connectors.

But we already .. er, was thinking of YKK zippers. Nevermind.

= Doug Wilson Newark, OH USA =
= fdw@makaisoft!.com (remove ! for correct address) =
= Home page: http://www.infinet.com/~fdw =
= North Shore Kauai: http://www.infinet.com/~fdw/northsh =

Rick Tyler

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

On Wed, 02 Apr 1997 18:01:52 GMT, br...@planet.net (Bruin) wrote:

<snip earlier Norm tributes>
:
:
:I was at a home show with Norm last year. He talked and demonstrated

:for an hour, then people got in line to ask specific questions. His
:next show was in an hour, and he bearly finished with the line of
:people before the next show began. He ended up going for over 7 hours
:before getting a break. He didn't act like most celebrities.
:br...@planet.net

There you go... now I'm crying again ...

-- Rick the Awestruck

Tim Fischer

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

In article <5i11dv$15o$1...@nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>, sho...@alph02.triumf.ca (Tim
Shoppa) wrote:

> In article <3344B3...@kraken.itc.gu.edu.au>,
> Andrew Lewis <and...@kraken.itc.gu.edu.au> wrote:
> >Drew Lawson wrote:

> >> Pin empowered and pin challenged.
> >

> >What have Personal Identification Numbers got to do with it?
>
> He didn't say "PIN number", so he couldn't have meant what you
> thought he did :-).

But if 'PIN' stands for Personal Identification Number, isn't PIN Number
from the Department of Redundancy Department?

Maybe the 'N' in PIN stands for Numeric? Nice? Nebulous? ???

-Tim

--
---------------------------------------
Tim Fischer
Coda Music Technology

The following email address is mangled to prevent automated
unsolicited junk mail. Replace the '_AT_' with an '@':

tfischer_AT_codamusic.com

DaveHatunen

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

In article <tfischer-040...@news.minn.net>,
Tim Fischer <tfis...@See.Address.In.Signature> wrote:

[...]

>But if 'PIN' stands for Personal Identification Number, isn't PIN Number
>from the Department of Redundancy Department?

Right up there with "ATM machine" and "HIV virus".

--
*********** DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@netcom.com) ***********
* In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king... *

Phil Gustafson

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

In article <5hv3d0$a...@misery.millcomm.com>, <danh...@millcomm.com> wrote:

>You sure you're not thinking of the two brothers that were regulars for
>several years? When they came on is when you started to see power tools.

You're haplessly hopelessly confused. The brothers do cars.

Ph.
--
The AFU FAQ and archives await your click at http://www.urbanlegends.com

Phil Gustafson ph...@rahul.net pgu...@eng.sun.com