Science memory aids

chp

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.

For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.
In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
"Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years
ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
I-squared R".
Does any know of others?

Thanks,
Chip

Cam Mayor

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <4olo9h$g...@news.ios.com>, chp <ch...@mixcom.com> wrote:
>In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
>"Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years

I learned it as "Leo - GR[rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr]" (as in a lion)
Losing electrons oxidises, Gaining reduces.

(i've also seen Leo - G[e]r, where [e] is [electrons])

cam

Karl Brace

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Our science teacher in 9th grade (??) was named Mr. Price, and he
challenged us to come up with such a mnemonic for the biological
classifications. The winner, and official class mnemonic, was:

Kill Price 'Cause Odor From Gorilla Stinks!
Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species

Mr. Price was a very good sport.

Karl
br...@cadsrv.enet.dec.com

Mark Harrop

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Hows about, for the remembering the order of colours in 'size' order
that are used on resistors:

Bad Boys Rape Only Young Girls, But Virgins Go Without
Black Brown Red... etc.

Apologies for any offence. Some people say black instead of Bad too...
but that ain't fair.

Cya,

Mark

Glenn Channell

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

ch...@mixcom.com (chp) writes:

>For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
>sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
>remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.
>
>For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.

>In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
>"Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years

>ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
>I-squared R".
>Does any know of others?

>Thanks,
>Chip

Actually, I had a British professor in one class, and he
remembered the spectrum by recalling the war of the roses:

"Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain..."

Glenn

bema...@beman002.email.umn.edu

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

On Fri, 31 May 1996 04:20:06 GMT,
chp <ch...@mixcom.com > wrote:

>For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
>sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
>remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.
>
>For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.
>In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
>"Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years
>ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
>I-squared R".
>Does any know of others?
>
>Thanks,
>Chip

I surprised myself with this one: LEOGER. Lose Electrons Oxidize
Gain Electrons Reduce

Cameron

Beman family/E-Mail: bema...@gold.tc.umn.edu *
It is time for us to see that punishment will not *
abolish crime, any more than a whipping will change *
a lunatic into a sane man. Until the citizens of a *
community are really healthy in mind, body, and soul, *
crime will continue in it's concomitant ratio *
-anonymous, 1896 *

lebasel

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

The several that I know about are:

Kings Play Chess on Fridays (genus species).

Oh Be a Fine Girl Kiss Me (star classifications on the Main
Sequence).

C HOPKINS CaFe (the macronutrient list for plant growth); the
advanced version is C HOPKINS CaFe, Mighty (Mg) Mean (Mn) MoB
eats (? probably just a linker to make a sentence) Zn. Slur
Zn to make it sound like 'in'. Macro and micronutrients for
this one.

There is a botanical one that I don't remember exactly;
MAD CAP Dog? The list of North American trees with opposite
leaves (opposite= leaves are paired exactly oppposite
along the stem).

Leslie
leb...@nando.net

ima pseudonym

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <4oo5f6$f...@merlin.nando.net> leb...@nando.net (lebasel) writes:

>The several that I know about are:

>Kings Play Chess on Fridays (genus species).

King Philip! Come out, for God's sake!

>Oh Be a Fine Girl Kiss Me (star classifications on the Main
>Sequence).

>C HOPKINS CaFe (the macronutrient list for plant growth); the
>advanced version is C HOPKINS CaFe, Mighty (Mg) Mean (Mn) MoB
>eats (? probably just a linker to make a sentence) Zn. Slur
>Zn to make it sound like 'in'. Macro and micronutrients for
>this one.

I remember "C. Hopkins, CaFe Mg-r.; MoB CuM[n] Zn" ["mob comes in"]

>There is a botanical one that I don't remember exactly;
>MAD CAP Dog? The list of North American trees with opposite
>leaves (opposite= leaves are paired exactly oppposite
>along the stem).

Maples [Acer]; Ash [Fraxinus]; Dogwoods [Cornus]; Catalpa, what else?

How about: "Camels Often Sit Down Carefully; Perhaps Their Joints Creak.
Probably Early Oiling Might Prevent Permanent Rheumatism"

[Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic,
Jurassic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pliocene,
Pleistocene, Recent]

Scott Baker

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

chp wrote:

> For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
> sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
> remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.
>
> For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.
> In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
> "Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years
> ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
> I-squared R".
> Does any know of others?
>
> Thanks,
> Chip

When I was in high school science class, the teacher used to call out
"What's the force on that charge?!" and we would yell out "QE!" It was
a good way to help us memorize that F=QE where F equals the force
exerted on a charged object by an electric field, Q equals the charge of
the object, and E equals the strength of the electric field. He would
yell out the question at random moments throughout the class period and
we had fun seeing who could be the first to yell out "QE!".

Also, the color code for electronic resistors is usually memorized with
the infamous saying; "Bad boys rape our young girls, but Violet gives
willingly." It's a rather nasty and sexist saying, but it works to
remember the code.

--
Scott Baker
fre...@tln.net

Harry Browne for President http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/
Harry Browne for President http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/
Harry Browne for President http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/

Thomas J Fields

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

To remember the planets, in order of increasing distance from the sun:

My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas

(Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)

(and, yes, I know that due to the extreme eccentricity of Pluto's
orbit that Pluto is actually closer to the sun than Neptune until 1999,
perhaps making the sentence "My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us
Pine Needles." The reason for the eagerness to serve pine needles
is left as an exercise for the reader......)

T.J. Fields

A physics graduate student/golfer (not necessarily in that order)

Email: tjfi...@iastate.edu
WWW: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~tjfields

halvin

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

Scott Baker <fre...@tln.net> writes:

>chp wrote:
>>
>> For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
>> sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
>> remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.
>>
>> For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.
>> In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
>> "Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years
>> ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
>> I-squared R".
>> Does any know of others?

much as i hate to admit it, i coined "Kids Put Cocaine On Funny Gold Spoons"
because the Officially Sanctioned sentence -- which was to assist us in
remembering "Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species" -- was
boring.
-mark "I was much older then" halvin

Glenn Channell

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

tjfi...@iastate.edu (Thomas J Fields) writes:

>To remember the planets, in order of increasing distance from the sun:

>My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas

>(Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)

>(and, yes, I know that due to the extreme eccentricity of Pluto's
>orbit that Pluto is actually closer to the sun than Neptune until 1999,
>perhaps making the sentence "My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us
>Pine Needles." The reason for the eagerness to serve pine needles
>is left as an exercise for the reader......)

Actually white pine needles make a pretty good tea.

Joe Thompson

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

Karl Brace wrote:
> Kill Price 'Cause Odor From Gorilla Stinks!
> Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species

We learned:

King Philip Comes Over For Good Soup.

Considering the number of times King Philip's name was invoked in that class,
he must have been a portly gent indeed. -- Joe
--
Joe Thompson | Cornerstone Networks | Opinions expressed here may or
j...@cstone.net | 410 E. Water St. | may not be those of Cornerstone

Kent Campbell

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

:
: For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.
: In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
: "Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years
: ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
: I-squared R".
: Does any know of others?

: Thanks,
: Chip

Hi Chip -
how about "Mother Very Thoughtfully Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No
Protest" (mercury, venus, terra, mars, asteroids, uranus, neptune, and
pluto). Also "Red Cadillac BY GM" - gives the additive primary colors
and their subtractive complement - red-cyan; blue-yellow; green-magenta.
Best wishes,
Kent.

Paul J. Stamler

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

Several years ago, an executive at a broadcast supply house sponsored a
contest among radio engineers to invent a new, less sexist
resistor-color-code mnemonic. One that seems to have entered the
profession is:

Better Black
Be Brown
Right Red
Or Orange
Your Yellow
Great Green
Big Blue
Vision Violet
Goes Grey
West White

An excellent slogan for this driven decade!

My mother used to recite "Never Lower Tillie's Pants, Mother Might Come
In" as a medical mnemonic, and there's also "On High Olympus' Topmost
Top, a Finn and German Viewed a Hop" (cranial nerves).

For the lines of the musical staff: "Every Good Boy Does Fine"; for the
strings of a bass fiddle, "Even Asses Do Good". (I made that one up.)

Peace.
Paul

Ken Wheatley

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

Oh Boy, a Fat Girl Kicked Me.

Star classifications.
--
Ken Wheatley (k...@kenwheat.demon.co.uk)
Compuserve 100304,3676

Scott Baker

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Joe Thompson wrote:

> Karl Brace wrote:
> > Kill Price 'Cause Odor From Gorilla Stinks!
> > Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species
>
> We learned:
>
> King Philip Comes Over For Good Soup.
>
> Considering the number of times King Philip's name was invoked in that class,
> he must have been a portly gent indeed. -- Joe

:) We used the phrase "King Philip Came Over From Germany Swimming."

Triple Quadrophenic

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <4oq9pc$9...@news.iastate.edu>, tjfi...@iastate.edu (Thomas J
Fields) says...

>To remember the planets, in order of increasing distance from the sun:
>
>My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas
>
>(Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)

I like the one in the Illuminatus books (Bob Shea and Robert Anton Wilson).

Mother Very Easily Made A Jam Sandwich Using No Peanuts, Mayonnaise or Glue.

Took me ages to figure out the last two.

--
-- BEGIN NVGP SIGNATURE Version 0.000001
Frank J Hollis, Mass Spectroscopy, SmithKline Beecham, Welwyn, UK

Andrew Fraser

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <4olo9h$g...@news.ios.com>, ch...@mixcom.com (chp) wrote:
>For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
>sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
>remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.
>
>For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.
>In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
>"Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years
>ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
>I-squared R".
>Does any know of others?

How about "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Taking Opium Away."
for remembering: Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse,
Tangent= Opposite/Adjacent.

Or is this one too "math-y".

What about all those right-hand (& left hand) rules for electricity and
magnetism?

Peter Ceresole

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <4ouqpn$p...@news.isc.rit.edu>,
adf...@rit.edu (Andrew Fraser) wrote:

>How about "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Taking Opium Away."
>for remembering: Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse,
>Tangent= Opposite/Adjacent.
>
>Or is this one too "math-y".

I learnt it as "Sign Please Harry" (sine=perpendicular/hypotenuse), "Costly
Black Hat" (cos=base/hyp) and "Tanned Post Boy".

Not very mathy, but I've remembered them without effort for 45 years, so
they must work.

--
Peter

Superdave the Wonderchemist

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

How about, "Sally Prefers Dead Fish." Atomic orbitals s,p,d,f (after
that they go alphabetically).

LEO the GERman (Loses Electrons Oxidises, Gains Electrons Reduces)

Fire Clara's Brother Immediately! (the halogens: F, Cl, Br, I in order)

Live Naked Kids Rubbing Caskets (group 1 metals Li, Na, K, Rb, CS in order)

Never Eat Sour Watermelons (cardinal directions in clockwise order)

I Am Above Average Looking (not a memory aid but the truth, ask my mom)

-Superdave The Wonderchemist

3555

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <4olo9h$g...@news.ios.com> ch...@mixcom.com (chp) writes:
>For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
>sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
>remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.
>
>For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.
>In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
>"Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years
>ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
>I-squared R".
>Does any know of others?

In electrochemistry, I finally learned that reduction takes place at
the cathode (hence oxidation at the anode) when another student told
me: "Seduction occurs at the cathouse."

Jeff Lanam

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Another one for the resistor code that is not sexist or racist:

Balding bears rattle orange yams, grumbling "Begone, violent
greedy weasels!"

And for for the charge/voltage relationship CV=Q

Champagne Velvet equals Quality

(Champagne Velvet was a kind of beer in the Midwest)

--
Jeff Lanam lanam...@tandem.com
Tandem Computers, Inc. http://www.netgate.net/~jlanam

Glenn Channell

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

aha...@boulder.nist.gov (3555) writes:

>In article <4olo9h$g...@news.ios.com> ch...@mixcom.com (chp) writes:
>>For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
>>sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
>>remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.
>>
>>For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.
>>In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
>>"Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years
>>ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
>>I-squared R".
>>Does any know of others?

Yeah. My old high school math teacher had a picture of Andrew
Jackson (the US Pres.) on the wall. The picture was square, and the
glass was cracked along one diagonal. He offered extra credit for anyone
who could explain why he kept it there.:

Spoiler:

The picture was his way of remembering e to 16 sig. figs.

He knew it was more than 2 and less than 3, so you have

2.?

Andrew Jackson was the seventh president

2.7

He was elected in 1828

2.71828

He served two terms, so repeat that.

2.718281828

The cracked picture formed a right triangle. The angles were 45, 90,
and 45 degrees

e = 2.718281828459045

I still remember it after about 12 years, so it must work.

Glenn Channell

Carl J Lydick

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <4oq9pc$9...@news.iastate.edu>, tjfi...@iastate.edu (Thomas J Fields) writes:
=
=To remember the planets, in order of increasing distance from the sun:
=
=My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas
=
=(Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)

Or there's the mnemonic suggested by Isaac Asimov:
Most Voters Earn Money Just Showing Up Near Polls
Carl J Lydick | INTERnet: CA...@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU | NSI/HEPnet: SOL1::CARL

Disclaimer: Hey, I understand VAXen and VMS. That's what I get paid for. My
understanding of astronomy is purely at the amateur level (or below). So
unless what I'm saying is directly related to VAX/VMS, don't hold me or my
organization responsible for it. If it IS related to VAX/VMS, you can try to
hold me responsible for it, but my organization had nothing to do with it.

sta...@mint.net

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

psta...@crl.com (Paul J. Stamler) wrote:

While learning the stars, most amateurs learn the saying,

"Arc to Arcturus and speed to Spica"

to follow the arc of the handle on the Bid Dipper (or the yolk of the
plow) to the first magnitude stars in Bootes and Virgo.

For a sillier saying, I once encountered this verse to help recall the
names of the stars in the Winter Circle (hexagon to some)

Captain! All de' Brass Riggin' Seems Properly Polished. Cast off!

Capella Aldebaran Rigel Sirius Procyon Polux Castor

Betelgeuse is inside the circle and not included, unfortunately.

Keep looking up!

Alan

Dave/Kristin Hall

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Mark Harrop (mh...@oasis.icl.co.uk) wrote:
: Hows about, for the remembering the order of colours in 'size' order

: that are used on resistors:
:
: Bad Boys Rape Only Young Girls, But Virgins Go Without

Always heard it as:

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly.

But on to chemistry we have....

Some Pigs Do Fancy Gigs (electron shells)

--
David Hall | Kristin Hall
Propulsion Performance Office | no real job as yet...

Rodney Wines

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

In <4oq7ku$a...@ns2.ryerson.ca> camp...@acs.ryerson.ca writes:

> Also "Red Cadillac BY GM" - gives the additive primary colors and their
> subtractive complement - red-cyan; blue-yellow; green-magenta.

Funny you should mention that. I got in an argument with an artistic (and
unscientific) friend a week or so ago on this subject. She insisted that
there are three "primary colors", and that all the rest were "secondary".
I tried to explain to her about the electromagnetic spectrum, and tried to
tell her that of the colors that appear in the spectrum (as opposed to
false colors such as brown), none is more primary than another, and that
you can in theory create all of them from any three of them if you pick
three that are sufficiently far apart in the spectrum. She wasn't having
any of it.

Does anyone have a decent explanation I can give her, or did I miss
something somewhere?

| | "I always wanted roots, |
| rodney...@ahqps.alcatel.fr | but if I can't have roots |
| | I'll have wings." |

joyce Chan

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

pe...@cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) wrote:

>In article <4ouqpn$p...@news.isc.rit.edu>,
>adf...@rit.edu (Andrew Fraser) wrote:

>>How about "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Taking Opium Away."
>>for remembering: Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse,
>>Tangent= Opposite/Adjacent.

I, too, learned it with hippies, but it went :
Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping On Acid
I also learned it with the the Native American sounding (to
me, at least) name: SOHCAHTOA (so-cuh-tow-ah)

joyce

Joe Thompson

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Andrew Fraser wrote:
> How about "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Taking Opium Away."
> for remembering: Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse,
> Tangent= Opposite/Adjacent.

We did "Oscar Had a Heap of Apples" (Opposite/Hypotenuse, Adjacent/Hypotenuse,
Opposite/Adjacent) -- remembering that those were sine, cosine and tangent,
respectively, was easy. -- Joe

Andrew C. Plotkin

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

R_W...@rubin.alcatel.ch (Rodney Wines) writes:
> Funny you should mention that. I got in an argument with an artistic (and
> unscientific) friend a week or so ago on this subject. She insisted that
> there are three "primary colors", and that all the rest were "secondary".
> I tried to explain to her about the electromagnetic spectrum, and tried to
> tell her that of the colors that appear in the spectrum (as opposed to
> false colors such as brown), none is more primary than another, and that
> you can in theory create all of them from any three of them if you pick
> three that are sufficiently far apart in the spectrum. She wasn't having
> any of it.

She's right. You're wrong. :-)

The human eye has three pigments, which respond best to R, G, and B
light. Therefore, RGB are the only working primary colors, for humans.
(Artistic pigeons have a more complicated life; I believe they have
more pigments.)

By "working primary colors", I mean three colors which can visually
produce any other color when combined by adding light. If you're
mixing paint, the effect is to subtract light (a mixture of paints
will absorb all the light absorbed by its components); so the only
working *subtractive* primaries are CMY, which are the spectral
inverses of RGB.

You are correct in saying that you can pick (almost) any three colors
and combine them to produce any color. But the combination will not be
a process of light-addition or light-subtraction; you couldn't use
either paint or light alone. To cover the complete spectrum, you'd
sometimes need to subtract one of your "primaries" and add two of the
others (or vice versa.) This is not physically doable. Well, I guess
you could keep three lights and three buckets of paint, and then get
the full spectrum by choosing from that set. But this seems against
the spirit of primary colors.

Footnote: in fact, even the RGB and CMY trios don't cover the *full*
spectrum, because human visual color space "bulges" a little around
the edges. There are a few colors around the edge that don't fit. The
most obvious example are "neon" colors, which cannot be produced with
paint, unless you cheat and use paint that fluoresces and produces
light instead of absorbing it.

All clear?

--Z

Stebain

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Andrew Fraser wrote:

> In article <4olo9h$g...@news.ios.com>, ch...@mixcom.com (chp) wrote:
> >For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
> >sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
> >remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.
> >
> >For example, we all know "Roy G Biv" for the colors of the spectrum.
> >In chemistry class years ago, we learned "OIL RIG" to remember that
> >"Oxidation Is Losing [electrons], Reduction Is Gaining". A few years
> >ago on "CarTalk" I heard "Twinkle, twinkle little star, Power equals
> >I-squared R".
> >Does any know of others?
>
> How about "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Taking Opium Away."
> for remembering: Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse,
> Tangent= Opposite/Adjacent.

I learned the same one as the Indian princess Sohcahtoa. Nonsense
name, but I still remember it.

--
If you're friends with P. , then you're friends with me....

Stebain

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Kent Campbell wrote:

> Hi Chip -
> how about "Mother Very Thoughtfully Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No
> Protest" (mercury, venus, terra, mars, asteroids, uranus, neptune, and
> pluto).

Just got this from my niece, in 5th grade(she asked that I write that.):

My very eager mother just shook up nine pillows.
(planets, no asteroids though)

FARR...@ucs.isu.edu

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Keep Putting Condoms On For Greater Safety
(kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species)

Tuukka Kalliokoski

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

In article <4ovsfo$k...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, chan...@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
says...

>e = 2.718281828459045
>
>I still remember it after about 12 years, so it must work.
>
>Glenn Channell

How about this:

'How I Need A Drink, Alcoholic Of Course, After The Heavy Chapters Of
3 1 4 1 5 9 2 6 5 3 5 8 2

Quantum Mechanics'
7 9

Easy way to memorize pi to 14 decimals !

Tuukka

--
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
# Tuukka.Ka...@cc.tut.fi # Pinball wizardry since 1979 #

Eric Daniel

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

RW> Funny you should mention that. I got in an argument with an artistic
RW> (and unscientific) friend a week or so ago on this subject. She
RW> insisted that there are three "primary colors", and that all the rest
RW> were "secondary". I tried to explain to her about the electromagnetic
RW> spectrum, and tried to tell her that of the colors that appear in the
RW> spectrum (as opposed to false colors such as brown), none is more
RW> primary than another, and that you can in theory create all of them from
RW> any three of them if you pick three that are sufficiently far apart in
RW> the spectrum. She wasn't having any of it.

RW> Does anyone have a decent explanation I can give her, or did I miss
RW> something somewhere?

Well, the human eye has three different kinds of cone cells, each being more
sensitive to one of the primary colors. Think about it: how come that when
you superpose blue and green on a color monitor, you have the illusion of
yellow? It wouldn't work if the eye could really differentiate every visible
frequency. Thus the notion of primary colors is very real, although
anthropocentric.

Eric Daniel

Hans Derycke

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

R_W...@rubin.alcatel.ch (Rodney Wines) cost the Net hundreds, if not
thousands of dollars by writing:

[snip]
>I got in an argument with an artistic (and
>unscientific) friend a week or so ago on this subject. She insisted that
>there are three "primary colors", and that all the rest were "secondary".
>I tried to explain to her about the electromagnetic spectrum, and tried to
>tell her that of the colors that appear in the spectrum (as opposed to
>false colors such as brown), none is more primary than another, and that
>you can in theory create all of them from any three of them if you pick
>three that are sufficiently far apart in the spectrum. She wasn't having
>any of it.

I have no explanation, rather an observation. She seems to have been
taught something in class, and then accepted as gospel. This sort of
thing annoys the hell out of me. This behavior also happens like this:
scientists define something, and then certain people will accept that
definition as the be all and end all of the subject.

Example: According to scientists, black is not a color, because it's
caused by the _absense_ of light. I understand this. My counterclaim
is, that it's very well for a scientist doing science stuff, but when
I go out to buy a car, and the dealer asks what color I like, I'll
tell him "black". At that moment, science can take a hike. I live in
the real world, and in the real world, black is a color. It just seems
like the common understanding of the concept "color" is slightly
different from the scientific one. But again and again, people will
attempt to apply a consequence of the scientific definition in the
real world.

Anyway, it seems that she's stuck in what she has been taught, and
you're stuck in a definition of color that has nothing to do with art
whatsoever.

Hansje
"All that in the nicest possible way"
Hans Derycke -- us02...@pop3.interramp.com
>I still need to work on creative spelling, abyssmal
>punctuation, and random elected-official-bashing. -- Andy Walton

(801) 555 9221

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

Well I used PANIC to remember "Positive Anode, Negative Is Cathode"

A slightly different thing - memory rhymes - I know

" Gravitational attraction
A mutual affair
Is the product of the masses
Over the distance squared

Gravitational Potential
Quite a different thing by far
Is the product of the masses
But divided just by R"

and

Now I think we're all agreed that time is distance over speed
If you want it all in rhyme then speed is distance over time
If you want distance to apply then speed and time you multiply!!!

When Using Flemmings right ( I think) hand rule

thuMb points to direction of Motion
First finger for Force
seCond finger for Current.

That's all I can think of for now...

Deny everything.Deny you read this email.
Deny that you're denying anything.
And remember. (801) 555 9221. It's very important.
X-files Convention - http://www.keele.ac.uk/socs/ks26/conv/xfconv.htm

Andrew C. Plotkin

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

us02...@pop3.interramp.com (Hans Derycke) writes:
> Example: According to scientists, black is not a color, because it's
> caused by the _absense_ of light.

I have never heard that definition of "color" given by a scientist. I
generally hear it from dictionary weenies who want to impress their
audience with how finely they can nitpick their definitions.

Like all words, "color" is used slightly differently depending on
context. I can think of two good "scientific" definitions of color --
the full spectral response curve of a light source, and the response
by a normal human retina to that light source. In both definitions,
"black" is a color.

Neither of these definitions is common everyday experience, either,
and anyone who knows the subject admits it.

DaveHatunen

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <EDANIEL.96...@ee.tamu.edu>,
Eric Daniel <eda...@ee.tamu.edu> wrote:

[...]

>Well, the human eye has three different kinds of cone cells, each being more
>sensitive to one of the primary colors. Think about it: how come that when
>you superpose blue and green on a color monitor, you have the illusion of
>yellow? It wouldn't work if the eye could really differentiate every visible
>frequency. Thus the notion of primary colors is very real, although
>anthropocentric.

Whether using an additive process (mixing light) or a subtractive
process (mixing pigments), the primaries themselves are somewhat
arbitrary. Obviously, no process that mixes wavelengths A and B can
create wavelength C; the perception of color C is a purely
neurophysiological one.

The primaries generally chosen to do this mixing are simply those three
colors found to give the best perception of the third color, but while
the perception can be very good, it is never really perfect. And for
some purposes some other three colors may be optimum.

--

********** DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@netcom.com) **********
* Daly City California *

Lauria Blackwell

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

joyce Chan (tre...@isdfw.net) wrote:

: I also learned it with the the Native American sounding (to

: me, at least) name: SOHCAHTOA (so-cuh-tow-ah)

Our grade 10 (or 9) math teacher was one of those guys that doesn't
really like math and would rather chat for the whole hour than
teach anything. He had some sort of big long legend about Chief
Sohcahtoa and his search for right triangles or something. This
was in a mostly Indian community so may be that affected his choice
of mnemonic.

Lauria Blackwell
(lau...@erato.usask.ca)

Lauria Blackwell

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

: R_W...@rubin.alcatel.ch (Rodney Wines) cost the Net hundreds, if not

: thousands of dollars by writing:

: [snip]
: >I got in an argument with an artistic (and
: >unscientific) friend a week or so ago on this subject. She insisted that
: >there are three "primary colors", and that all the rest were "secondary".
: >I tried to explain to her about the electromagnetic spectrum, and tried to
: >tell her that of the colors that appear in the spectrum (as opposed to
: >false colors such as brown), none is more primary than another, and that
: >you can in theory create all of them from any three of them if you pick
: >three that are sufficiently far apart in the spectrum. She wasn't having
: >any of it.

There was a big big big discussion of this topic on sci.engr.color just
about a month ago, I think. The posts are probably no longer current
for you but if you can search through old posts, you can probably find
out more than you ever wanted to know about different interpretations
of colour.

Lauria Blackwell
(lau...@erato.usask.ca)

Louis Moreau

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <Ulh_fRG00...@andrew.cmu.edu>,

>Footnote: in fact, even the RGB and CMY trios don't cover the *full*
>spectrum, because human visual color space "bulges" a little around
>the edges. There are a few colors around the edge that don't fit. The
>most obvious example are "neon" colors, which cannot be produced with
>paint, unless you cheat and use paint that fluoresces and produces
>light instead of absorbing it.
>
>All clear?

No, it's not all clear.
"Neon" paints do not produce light otherwise they would glow in the
dark... Their special look must be due to their light-scattering properties
rather than their emissivity.

Louis Moreau

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <4p2tme$k...@usenet7.interramp.com>,

Hans Derycke <us02...@pop3.interramp.com> wrote:
>R_W...@rubin.alcatel.ch (Rodney Wines) cost the Net hundreds, if not
>thousands of dollars (yeah, sure) by writing:

>[snip]
>>I got in an argument with an artistic (and
>>unscientific) friend a week or so ago on this subject. She insisted that
>>there are three "primary colors", and that all the rest were "secondary".
>>I tried to explain to her about the electromagnetic spectrum, and tried to
>>tell her that of the colors that appear in the spectrum (as opposed to
>>false colors such as brown), none is more primary than another, and that
>>you can in theory create all of them from any three of them if you pick
>>three that are sufficiently far apart in the spectrum. She wasn't having
>>any of it.
>
>I have no explanation, rather an observation. She seems to have been
>taught something in class, and then accepted as gospel. This sort of
>thing annoys the hell out of me. This behavior also happens like this:

(...)

>Anyway, it seems that she's stuck in what she has been taught, and
>you're stuck in a definition of color that has nothing to do with art
>whatsoever.

As others have said, Rodney is wrong and his friend is right. Granted, she
may have been taught that in class and then accepted it as gospel. But, like
it or not, the model she was refering to, works.

In the artistic world the three primary colors are blue, yellow
and red. They are called primary because they cannot be obtained by mixing
other pigments and because all other colors can be obtained by mixing the
primary colors in various proportions. The secondary colors, green, orange
and violet, are the colors obtained by mixing in equal parts two primary
colors. Tertiary colors are obtained by mixing two parts of one primary with
one part of another primary color etc. That definition is fairly simple,
it works well and is a very useful concept to teach the basics of (substrac-
tive) color mixing.

(before I get flamed by all the destop publishers of the world, I should add
that the physical and chemical properties (other than the color) of the various
pigments of a given medium also play a role. For instance, in the printing
industry, they use cyan, yellow and magenta for printing three and four
(with black) colors separation even if cyan and magenta are not "real"
primary colors. Cyan can be obtained by mixing blue and yellow paint
and magenta can be obtained by mixing red and blue paint. I think they
use cyan and magenta industrial inks because they produces better results
with rotary presses due to different properties of the inks including
fluidity, transparency, brightness, mixing properties etc. )

On the other hand, saying that there is no such thing a primary colors, that
a color is just a bunch of photons with a specific wavelenght and all colors
are equal in the Great Hierarchy of Colors is not really true since the color
detectors in the human eye do not respond uniformely in the visible spectrum.

Louis

Chris Phillips

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

This one always stuck in my mind just for being so terrible - its for
electromagnetic induction - to avoid confusion with Flemming's Left Hand
Rule:

Ri-I-i-I-i-I-i-I-ight hand for I-i-I-i-I-i-I-induced current.

Awful isn't it!
--
Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <4p44nh$o...@gerry.cc.keele.ac.uk>, "(801) 555 9221"

> When Using Flemmings right ( I think) hand rule
>
> thuMb points to direction of Motion
>First finger for Force
>seCond finger for Current.

True for the left hand rule also!
--
Chris Phillips

DaveHatunen

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <garst-06069...@garst.chem.uga.edu>,
John Garst <ga...@sunchem.chem.uga.edu> wrote:
>As I recall, Ed Land did an experiment in which full color is perceived
>when a slide is projected with monochromatic light and its image is
>superimposed on another that is projected with white light. I never
>understood this.

Nor, I believe, does anyone else, fully.

Scientific American had an article about this (by Land himself, if
memory serves) a couple of decades ago.

John Garst

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

As I recall, Ed Land did an experiment in which full color is perceived
when a slide is projected with monochromatic light and its image is
superimposed on another that is projected with white light. I never
understood this.

John Garst ga...@sunchem.chem.uga.edu
Laws of Tradition: (1) Nothing is ever lost.
(2) Nothing ever stays the same.

Rodney Wines

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In <4p2tme$k...@usenet7.interramp.com> us02...@pop3.interramp.com writes:

> I have no explanation, rather an observation.

Well, actually it was an explanation I was looking for, but what the heck.
I'm not paying for this. What was your observation?

> She seems to have been taught something in class, and then accepted as
> gospel.

But, except for those who have the ability, time, and money, to do basic
research, everyone has been "taught something in class", and we choose
whether or not to accept it ("as gospel" or not). It ain't rocket science
to figure that out, and it still doesn't answer my question. Oh, I almost
forgot, you did say you didn't have an explanation.

> This sort of thing annoys the hell out of me.

Why's that?

> This behavior also happens like this: scientists define something, and

> then certain people will accept that definition as the be all and end all
> of the subject.

Well, that is the definition of "define", isn't it?

But what "scientists" are you talking about here? Them suckers come in
more flavors than Howard Johnson's.

> Example: According to scientists, black is not a color, because it's
> caused by the _absense_ of light.

Well, sorta, but what's your point?

> I understand this.

That's your point? Then why'd you bring it up?

> My counterclaim is, that it's very well for a scientist doing science
> stuff, but when I go out to buy a car, and the dealer asks what color I
> like, I'll tell him "black".

That's a counterclaim?

> At that moment, science can take a hike. I live in the real world, and in
> the real world, black is a color.

What's your point? A French colleague once told me that in English there
are 28 definitions for the word "run" (no, I've not looked it up). If
there are only two for "color", then we got off easy.

> It just seems like the common understanding of the concept "color" is
> slightly different from the scientific one.

But, my friend is an artist. She paints and she does photography. Her
understanding of "color" is also not the "common understanding of the
concept".

> But again and again, people will attempt to apply a consequence of the
> scientific definition in the real world.

If the "scientific definition" isn't applicable to the "real world" then
it don't seem to me that it's worth a lot. After all, I'd always heard
that the purpose of science was to explain the real world. But hey, I'm
just a computer geek who couldn't spell "scientist", much less be one.

> Anyway, it seems that she's stuck in what she has been taught, and you're
> stuck in a definition of color that has nothing to do with art whatsoever.

Geez, you sure can read a lot into a simple question.

I don't recall anything about either of us being stuck. Well, OK, she's
got a couple of kids, and they're not twins, so she was stuck at least
twice. But that's beside the point.

It is true that my definition of color has nothing to do with poetry or
music or most other forms of art. However, a definition of color that had
nothing to do with painting and photography wouldn't be a very useful
definition now would it?

Karl Brace

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96
>As I recall, Ed Land did an experiment in which full color is perceived
>when a slide is projected with monochromatic light and its image is
>superimposed on another that is projected with white light. I never
>understood this.

Along this same lines, researchers looking into robotic color vision
used a spectroscopic analyzer to accurately quantify the "color" of
objects. They discovered that a lemon at sunset is much more "orange"
than an orange is at noon, but humans still perceive the lemon as quite
yellow under both circumstances. They devised experiments with blocks
of colors on cards and found people very reliably misidentified colors
in serious ways when deprived of the ordinary context information or
when provided with misleading context. Apparently, color perception in
the human brain is VERY dependent upon context, which makes robotic
color perception a very difficult problem.

Sorry I can't remember who did the research, but it was in Discover
magazine maybe 3-5 years ago.

Karl
br...@cadsrv.enet.dec.com

The Edible Dormouse

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <4p44nh$o...@gerry.cc.keele.ac.uk>, u5...@cc.keele.ac.uk ((801) 555 9221) writes:
> A slightly different thing - memory rhymes - I know

Ah yes, like:

Now Langley invented the bolometer,
Which is really a kind of thermometer
That can measure the heat
From a polar bear's feet
At a distance of half a kilometer.

I'm surprised people try to remember ROYGBIV. I was taught "Richard Of York
Gave Battle In Vain".

Or (maybe badly remembered)

Higgeldy Piggeldy
Albert A. Michelson
Did an experiment
Came away miffed

Need a more accurate
Interferometer
Looked for the ether
Can't find the drift.

One of the few examples of interferometer being made to scan...

Ken

ze...@vax.ox.ac.uk (here) = The opinions expressed above are
ze...@minerva.cis.yale.edu (there) = not necessarily those of any person
http://www.yale.edu/~zetie/ (everywhere) = living, dead, undead or the subject
"Trust me I'm a Physicist !" (DoD #162) = of a Schrodinger's cat experiment.

Peter Ceresole

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <DsJKH...@emr1.emr.ca>,
mor...@ccrs.emr.ca (Louis Moreau) wrote:

>"Neon" paints do not produce light otherwise they would glow in the
>dark... Their special look must be due to their light-scattering properties
>rather than their emissivity.

Their special look is due to their frequency shifting ability. 'Normal'
colours reflect back a particular range of frequencies. If it's not there
in the original illumination, it's not there in the reflected light.
Fluorescent colours on receiving, say, U/V, reradiate some of it at visible
frequencies. So they *do* produce extra amounts of visible light, but they
don't normally glow in the dark.

However, if you illuminate them with U/V, which appears to be dark, they
glow like crazy.

--
Peter

Andrew C. Plotkin

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

mor...@ccrs.emr.ca (Louis Moreau) writes:
> >Footnote: in fact, even the RGB and CMY trios don't cover the *full*
> >spectrum, because human visual color space "bulges" a little around
> >the edges. There are a few colors around the edge that don't fit. The
> >most obvious example are "neon" colors, which cannot be produced with
> >paint, unless you cheat and use paint that fluoresces and produces
> >light instead of absorbing it.
> >
> >All clear?

> No, it's not all clear.

> "Neon" paints do not produce light otherwise they would glow in the
> dark... Their special look must be due to their light-scattering properties
> rather than their emissivity.

Nope. They don't glow in the dark, but they *do* glow in the light --
they absorb solar UV and radiate it as visible light. A neon-colored
ink really does emit more visible light than it absorbs (at certain
frequencies).

This is easy to test, with a UV light source in an otherwise darkened
room. A UV party light is about $35 (in the US, look in SpencerGifts)
and those neon colors really *will* glow in the dark under one.

mj leblanc

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <EDANIEL.96...@ee.tamu.edu>, eda...@ee.tamu.edu (Eric
Daniel) wrote:

>Well, the human eye has three different kinds of cone cells, each being more
>sensitive to one of the primary colors. Think about it: how come that when
>you superpose blue and green on a color monitor, you have the illusion of
>yellow? It wouldn't work if the eye could really differentiate every visible
>frequency. Thus the notion of primary colors is very real, although
>anthropocentric.

Following this, a naive question:

Does anyone know how the primary colors were 'discovered' before the
structure of the retina was known?

:mj
--
mj leblanc
Java '96: Cross-Platform, General-Purpose, Efficient. Pick two.

Bill Welch

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <hatunenD...@netcom.com>, DaveHatunen
<hat...@netcom.com> writes

>In article <garst-06069...@garst.chem.uga.edu>,
>John Garst <ga...@sunchem.chem.uga.edu> wrote:
>>As I recall, Ed Land did an experiment in which full color is perceived
>>when a slide is projected with monochromatic light and its image is
>>superimposed on another that is projected with white light. I never
>>understood this.
>
>Nor, I believe, does anyone else, fully.
>
>Scientific American had an article about this (by Land himself, if
>memory serves) a couple of decades ago.

But slides are normally projected with white light. A monochromatic
image on top of that might make the whole thing look off-colour, the
amount depending on the intensity of each light source, but it's quite
reasonable to expect the viewer to still see all colours.

--
Wilful swamp thing rolls up Bill Welch's equally-arched xylophone!

David Moore

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

On Mon, 03 Jun 96 04:57:15 GMT, in message
<4ouqpn$p...@news.isc.rit.edu>,
adf...@rit.edu (Andrew Fraser) wrote:

>In article <4olo9h$g...@news.ios.com>, ch...@mixcom.com (chp) wrote:
>>For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
>>sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
>>remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.

ELI the ICE man:
Voltage leads current in an inductor, but
Current leads voltage in a capacitor.

I also could never remember how the nucleic acids fit
together, until I realized that both A and T have crossbars,
and C and G are curved. (I'm still looking for a way to
remember which pair has three bonds, and which two.)

Dave Moore == djm...@uh.edu == I speak for me.
Copyright 1996 by Dave Moore. May be freely quoted
with proper attribution.

Chris Phillips

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

>Apparently, color perception in
>the human brain is VERY dependent upon context, which makes robotic
>color perception a very difficult problem.
>
>Sorry I can't remember who did the research, but it was in Discover
>magazine maybe 3-5 years ago.
>
>Karl
>br...@cadsrv.enet.dec.com

I remember seeing a program about this on TV *years* ago. Shadows cast
by coloured lights appear to be the complemetary colour (in the absence
of other lights). Now then here we have something that has a colour
that is due to the absence of light! Why then can't black be a colour?

Cheers
--
Chris Phillips

dr...@a.crl.com

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

mor...@ccrs.emr.ca (Louis Moreau) saith:

>No, it's not all clear.
>"Neon" paints do not produce light otherwise they would glow in the
>dark... Their special look must be due to their light-scattering properties
>rather than their emissivity.

Don't forget fluorescence. The funny yellow-green color you see in motor oil
in sunlight (no, I'm NOT talking about thin films of oil) comes from a
fluorescent dye, which emits more light of that color than the amount that
strikes it. This "more than 100% reflectance" is achieved, of course, by
absorbing light of other wavelengths and re-emitting it in the preferred
color. Quinine water also can have a slight fluorescence (damn, hard word to
type!) in strong sunlight against a dark background; some lab with nothing
better to do found that you could make a laser, if not a very good one, from
one brand of quinine water though not from its main competitor.

These things don't glow in the dark because they don't store the energy and
re-emit it later (phosphoresce)--not to any great extent, anyway.

And I'd conjecture that the neon-color effect in general is the reaction of
our visual processing systems to finding that an object is giving out more
light of a particular color than is available in the light that strikes the
object. It looks as if it's glowing in the dark because, with respect to a
particular wavelength, that's exactly what it's doing.

Except to the extent that I've worked with dyes like fluorescein (SP??) and
heard gossip about quinine lasers, this is mainly my humble opinions.
Anybody know of any references on this subject?

Dan Drake
dand...@netcom.com

Louis Moreau

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

In article <IlhmQ_O00...@andrew.cmu.edu>,
Andrew C. Plotkin <erky...@CMU.EDU> wrote:

>mor...@ccrs.emr.ca (Louis Moreau) writes:
>> >most obvious example are "neon" colors, which cannot be produced with
>> >paint, unless you cheat and use paint that fluoresces and produces
>> >light instead of absorbing it.
>> >
>> "Neon" paints do not produce light otherwise they would glow in the
>> dark... Their special look must be due to their light-scattering properties
>> rather than their emissivity.
>
>Nope. They don't glow in the dark, but they *do* glow in the light --
>they absorb solar UV and radiate it as visible light. A neon-colored
>ink really does emit more visible light than it absorbs (at certain
>frequencies).

I don't want to nit-pick but the original post said "produce light". It
let believe that more photons were emitted than received. It does happen
in several physical processes but not in fluorescence. Your description
of the phenomenon is much more precise and correct.

Louis

Theodore Heise

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

In article <DsJKH...@emr1.emr.ca>,

mor...@ccrs.emr.ca (Louis Moreau) writes:

>"Neon" paints do not produce light otherwise they would glow in the
>dark... Their special look must be due to their light-scattering properties
>rather than their emissivity.

Neon, or fluorescent, paints *do* emit light. You have considered
phosphorescence and scattering, but overlooked fluorescence.

|-- Theodore Heise ----------------------- the...@netins.net --|
|-- Omaha, Nebraska USA --- Principles before personalities! --|

darkstar

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

In article <31B463...@erinet.com>, Stebain <ste...@erinet.com> says:

>> How about "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Taking Opium Away."
>> for remembering: Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse,
>> Tangent= Opposite/Adjacent.
>>

> I learned the same one as the Indian princess Sohcahtoa. Nonsense
>name, but I still remember it.
>
>--

I learned it as "Some Officers Have Curly Auburn Hair To
Offer Attraction".

***dark...@superlink.net '73 ironhead '67 Tiger chopper ***
*** FLIP YER PATCH ! AND YER AMERICAN FLAG ! ***
*** chop: v. to cut, cut off, reduce in size or length, remove ***

bema...@beman002.email.umn.edu

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

On Mon, 03 Jun 1996 18:48:31 +0100,
Peter Ceresole <pe...@cara.demon.co.uk > wrote:

>In article <4ouqpn$p...@news.isc.rit.edu>,

>adf...@rit.edu (Andrew Fraser) wrote:
>
>>How about "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Taking Opium Away."
>>for remembering: Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse,
>>Tangent= Opposite/Adjacent.
>>

>>Or is this one too "math-y".
>
>I learnt it as "Sign Please Harry" (sine=perpendicular/hypotenuse), "Costly
>Black Hat" (cos=base/hyp) and "Tanned Post Boy".
>
>Not very mathy, but I've remembered them without effort for 45 years, so
>they must work.
>
>--
>Peter

The one I learned for that was SOH CAH TOA: Sine Opposite over
Hypotenuse, Cosine Adjacent over Hypotenuse, Tangent Opposite over
Adjacent. Worked remarkebly well.

Cameron

Beman family/E-Mail: bema...@gold.tc.umn.edu *
It is time for us to see that punishment will not *
abolish crime, any more than a whipping will change *
a lunatic into a sane man. Until the citizens of a *
community are really healthy in mind, body, and soul, *
crime will continue in it's concomitant ratio *
-anonymous, 1896 *

Andrew C. Plotkin

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

mor...@ccrs.emr.ca (Louis Moreau) writes:
> In article <IlhmQ_O00...@andrew.cmu.edu>,
> Andrew C. Plotkin <erky...@CMU.EDU> wrote:
> >> >
> >> "Neon" paints do not produce light otherwise they would glow in the
> >> dark... Their special look must be due to their light-scattering properties
> >> rather than their emissivity.
> >
> >Nope. They don't glow in the dark, but they *do* glow in the light --
> >they absorb solar UV and radiate it as visible light. A neon-colored
> >ink really does emit more visible light than it absorbs (at certain
> >frequencies).
> >
> I don't want to nit-pick but the original post said "produce light". It
> let believe that more photons were emitted than received. It does happen
> in several physical processes but not in fluorescence. Your description
> of the phenomenon is much more precise and correct.

Actually, I was also the one who made the original post (the one
including the phrase "produce light".) :-)

But I'm glad I restated it more clearly.

Mark R T Westwood

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

djm...@uh.edu (David Moore) wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jun 96 04:57:15 GMT, in message

><4ouqpn$p...@news.isc.rit.edu>,
> adf...@rit.edu (Andrew Fraser) wrote:

>>In article <4olo9h$g...@news.ios.com>, ch...@mixcom.com (chp) wrote:
>>>For no reason whatsoever, I've decided to compile a list of short
>>>sayings, poems, etc, that are used in science classes to assist in
>>>remembering various scientific laws, facts, etc.
>>>
>ELI the ICE man:
>Voltage leads current in an inductor, but
>Current leads voltage in a capacitor.

Ah ha, that reminds me, I was taught CIVIL; (in a) capacitor current
(then) volts, volts (then) current (in an) inductor.

MRTW

Panther

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

In article <4p4dl1$i...@tribune.usask.ca>,

Well, SohCahToa also reached New Zealand, it was one of the most useful
little things those boring classes ever taught me.

one of the other things we got showen was the equation triangle :

/ \
/ V \
/-----\
/ I | R \
---------

and you of course cover the one you want and read off the others (eg cover the V
and read IR, or cover the R and read V / I).

The Panther Real rebels use GOTO's
pan...@midland.co.nz

Jim Hutchins

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

David Moore (djm...@uh.edu) wrote:
: (I'm still looking for a way to

: remember which pair has three bonds, and which two.)

How about CG "Clamps Good"
^ ^
Since they both form three hydrogen bonds, and the interaction is
therefore more stable than for A-T base pairs.

While I'm here, I prefer the "dirty" mnemonics for the 12 cranial nerves:

Girl's Vagina! Such Heaven!
Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A
Guy's Very Special Handle!

Depending, of course, on your personal tastes :-)

(Olfactory, optic, oculomotor, trochlear, trigeminal, abducens, facial,
auditory [vestibulocochlear], glossopharyngeal, vagus, spinal accessory,
hypoglossal)

This is so much easier to remember than anything involving Finns and
Germans, even if they are Fat-Assed.

Also, it's very silly, but when I first learned spinal cord and nerve
roots, I could only remember

Dorsal = "Damn", what you say when you hit yourself with a hammer =
Sensory

Ventral = "Vroom, vroom" = Motor

When you publish your book of mnemonics, be sure to give us all credit :-)
--
Jim Hutchins hutc...@netdoor.com hutc...@umsmed.edu
http://www.umsmed.edu/~hutchins/

Hans Derycke

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

R_W...@rubin.alcatel.ch (Rodney Wines) cost the Net hundreds, if not
thousands of dollars by writing:

>In <4p2tme$k...@usenet7.interramp.com> us02...@pop3.interramp.com writes:

>> This behavior also happens like this: scientists define something, and
>> then certain people will accept that definition as the be all and end all
>> of the subject.

>Well, that is the definition of "define", isn't it?

[ZAP]

Well, that reminds me of my Cost Accounting professor. One of his
favorite sayings was "different costs for different purposes". In this
case, that would be "different definitions for different purposes".

Fer Eggzample, when a cop sets out to test my state of drunkenness,
and asks me to walk along a straight line he drew on the pavement, it
will do me no good to whip out the mathematical definition of a line,
and say that what he drew is anything but.

A mathematician gives a definition for a straigth line that is valid
within the framework of what he is doing. In a different situation,
for different purposes, people will use a different definition. Both
the mathematician's and the cop's definition of "straight line" are
valid, but only within their frame of reference.

Same for color. A scientist and an artist will have different
definitions for color. Both are valid within their frame of reference.
And both will overlap to a certain extent.

So when a scientist, for purposes of his/her/its research, comes up
with a watertight definition of something, that does not mean that
this is the only valid definition, nor that this definition is useful
in all circumstances.

And I'm sorry if I've annoyed you with my first reply, but it just
shot through my mind. And I guess I should have thought more before
posting before thinking.

Hansje.
"Definitely the nicest guy around"
Hans Derycke -- us02...@pop3.interramp.com
"It makes no sense whatever, so it must be true" -- Susan C. Mitchell

Carl J Lydick

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

In article <hatunenD...@netcom.com>, hat...@netcom.com (DaveHatunen) writes:
=In article <garst-06069...@garst.chem.uga.edu>,
=John Garst <ga...@sunchem.chem.uga.edu> wrote:
=>As I recall, Ed Land did an experiment in which full color is perceived
=>when a slide is projected with monochromatic light and its image is
=>superimposed on another that is projected with white light. I never
=>understood this.
=
=Nor, I believe, does anyone else, fully.
=
=Scientific American had an article about this (by Land himself, if
=memory serves) a couple of decades ago.

If I recall correctly, the details of the phenomenon are as follows:
1) Take two photographs of a scene, one with no filter and one with a red
filter.
2) Project the two images on a screen, using a red filter for the image
taken using a red filter, and no filter for the image taken using no
filter.
People will perceive a color image.
Carl J Lydick | INTERnet: CA...@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU | NSI/HEPnet: SOL1::CARL

Disclaimer: Hey, I understand VAXen and VMS. That's what I get paid for. My
understanding of astronomy is purely at the amateur level (or below). So
unless what I'm saying is directly related to VAX/VMS, don't hold me or my
organization responsible for it. If it IS related to VAX/VMS, you can try to
hold me responsible for it, but my organization had nothing to do with it.

Rodney Wines

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

> As others have said, Rodney is wrong and his friend is right.

Unfortunately, I've missed most of the replies to my question. Few of
them made it to my server. So, if my questions have already been answered,
forgive me for beating the proverbial dead horse.

> Granted, she may have been taught that in class and then accepted it as
> gospel. But, like it or not, the model she was refering to, works.

She specifically was NOT taught it in class and then accepted it as gospel
(as should have been obvious, to anyone with opposible thumbs, just from
reading my post). The guy who wrote that comment basically must've just
needed something to bitch about.

As I stated originally, the woman paints. She has done so for quite a few
years, so she's mixed quite a few colors. She knows which ones work, and
which ones don't. She has experience. She doesn't need gospel.

Where she had problems was in the area of physics. She knew that there
were three "primary colors" when mixing paints, so she assumed that this
described the nature of light itself. I tried to explain to her about the
electromagnetic spectrum and the fact that there's an infinate number of
different wavelengths of light and no wavelength is any more "primary"
than another.

> In the artistic world the three primary colors are blue, yellow and red.
> They are called primary because they cannot be obtained by mixing other
> pigments and because all other colors can be obtained by mixing the
> primary colors in various proportions.

Understood. That's the subtractive process, as I recall. I THINK that
"subtractive" means that if you mix 'em all together you get black. If
that's so, then what colors do you mix to get white? If the answer is,
"nothing", then why wouldn't white be considered a "primary color" from
the artistic point of view? I'm genuinely asking. I honestly don't know
what I'm talking about here.

Also, specifically what wavelength of blue (yellow, and red) are we
talking about? Just how accurate a "blue" do you need to make it work?

And another question that occurred to me. If you mix a couple of colors
together to get green paint, is the light reflected from it REALLY green
(if you passed it through a prism, would you see only a band of green
light?), or is it a combination of frequencies that are PERCEIVED as
green?

I believe that the additive process is what happens in your color monitor,
or when you shine colored light on a surface. And, when you add 'em all
toghther you get white. It seems to me that I've read that any three
colors will work for this that are sufficiently far apart in the spectrum.
Of course, it's possible that if you're restricting yourself to visible
light that only shades of red, green, and blue are "sufficiently far apart
in the spectrum." ;^)

> On the other hand, saying that there is no such thing a primary colors,
> that a color is just a bunch of photons with a specific wavelenght and all
> colors are equal in the Great Hierarchy of Colors is not really true since
> the color detectors in the human eye do not respond uniformely in the
> visible spectrum.

Well, since a heirarchy is not an equality (AFAIK), I'd never say that
"all colors are equal in the Great Hierarchy of Colors". However, you're
right. From a PERCEPTION point of view, yes, there is a heirarchy of
colors; we see some better than others. If you look at the physical
properties of light, however, there's no heirarchy. Each part of the
spectrum has slightly different properties from its neighbors (shorter
wavelengths have more energy, for example), but I don't THINK this is
gonna make one any more "primary" than another.

John Horne

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

> I also could never remember how the nucleic acids fit
> together, until I realized that both A and T have crossbars,

> and C and G are curved. (I'm still looking for a way to

> remember which pair has three bonds, and which two.)

I learned the same with the extension that the cross bar is a straight
line which can be represented as a binary function (i.e., two points)
whereas to make a curve a higher order equation is necessary (i.e., three
points or more).

Although, I also like the "Clamps Good" that I saw in this thread

John

bema...@beman002.email.umn.edu

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

(snip)

>Understood. That's the subtractive process, as I recall. I THINK that
>"subtractive" means that if you mix 'em all together you get black. If
>that's so, then what colors do you mix to get white? If the answer is,
>"nothing", then why wouldn't white be considered a "primary color" from
>the artistic point of view? I'm genuinely asking. I honestly don't know
>what I'm talking about here.

White and black are not primary colors because they are not
considered colors period. They are the absence of all color(black)
and the presence of all colors(white). I may have the terminology
wrong, but I think they're referred to as "shades".

Tracy Sweat

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

Another for resistor color codes:

Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts, But Vodka Goes Well

--
Take care,

Tracy
home: mailto:tsw...@flash.net
work: mailto:sw...@mmc1001.lfwc.lockheed.com

Paul A. Delaney

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Classification of stars:

(Hottest) O B A F G K M R N S (Coolest)

"Oh be a fine girl kiss me right now, sweetheart."

I think dear old Sol is a "K" star.
Paul A. Delaney, Biomedical Physicist (Anesthesiology)
U of MD Medical Systems and Medical School
R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
Baltimore, Maryland 21201

Paul A. Delaney

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Biological categories:

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

"Kindly, please, chase old flies going slowly."

(just the wry comments of a homo sapiens...)

Paul A. Delaney

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Another resistor decoder (pardon if its'a repeat):

Bad boys rape our young girls, but Violet goes willingly.

Jon Moulton

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Here's a few more (I hope I'm not repeating previous posts; sorry if so):
LEO goes GRR
loss of electrons in oxidation, gain of electrons in reduction

C. HOPKNS CaFe, Mg.
remember as "C. Hopkins Cafe, manager"

This is a list of elements needed in living systems. Exceptions are rare (and
exclusively bacterial - e.g. lactococcus may not need iron)
carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, phosphorous, potassium, nitrogen, sulfur, calcium,
iron, magnesium.

C HOPKNS CaFe, Mg B Mn Cu Zn Mo, Cl Co

"C. Hopkins Cafe, managed by mine cousin Moe, clean and cozy"
This is a list of elements required by higher plants. It's not exhaustive,
but covers many of the important trace elements.

____________________
Jon Moulton
Microbiology instructor, Portland Community College
Doctoral candidate, Environmental Sciences and Resources,
Portland State University
Employed on Dept. of Educ. FIPSE educational technology grant, PSU
h2...@odin.cc.pdx.edu
http://cyanolab.sb1.pdx.edu/~moulton/JonHomePage.html

David Filpus P145

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

In article <4pk1p3$t...@trout.ab.umd.edu>, pdel...@anesthlab.ab.umd.edu (Paul A. Delaney) writes:
|> Biological categories:
|>
|> Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.
|>
|> "Kindly, please, chase old flies going slowly."
|>
|> (just the wry comments of a homo sapiens...)

|> ----------------------------------------------------------------
|> Paul A. Delaney, Biomedical Physicist (Anesthesiology)
|> U of MD Medical Systems and Medical School
|> R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
|> Baltimore, Maryland 21201

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species, Variety.

King Philip Called Over {the} Fence {to} General Species, "Victorious!".

From 11th grade biology, several decades ago.
--
Dave Filpus | Opinions in this post are my own
NORTEL | and do not reflect those

Jon Moulton

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

I thought of a few more -
To remember:
Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species
I was taught:
Kings play chess on fine-grained sand
Then a friend proposed:
Killers perpetuate crimes, only fools get suspected
which I find much more flavorful.

It won't help remember which base pair forms three bonds and which forms
two, but I always tell my students that the DNA bases with curved initials
(G and C) hydrogen bond together, and the bases with angular initials (A and
T) bond together. It seems to help, they don't miss that on exams.
Unfortunately, "A" doesn't look so angular on this ASCII display.

Carl J Lydick

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article <4pe4hd$e...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>, ca...@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:
=If I recall correctly, the details of the phenomenon are as follows:
= 1) Take two photographs of a scene, one with no filter and one with a red
= filter.
= 2) Project the two images on a screen, using a red filter for the image
= taken using a red filter, and no filter for the image taken using no
= filter.
=People will perceive a color image.

I neglected to mention in step 1 that you use black and white film for both
images.

Bryan Beatty

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

Carl J Lydick wrote:
> If I recall correctly, the details of the phenomenon are as follows:
> 1) Take two photographs of a scene, one with no filter and one
> with a red filter.

> 2) Project the two images on a screen, using a red filter for the
> image taken using a red filter, and no filter for the image
> taken using no filter.

> People will perceive a color image.

If you have some image editing program such as Adobe Photoshop, this experiment
is fairly easy to do using simple cut-and-paste commands:

1. Take a 24-bit color image. Call this Image A.
2. Copy its red channel.
3. Create a new 24-bit color image (call it Image B).
4. Fill Image B with black, then paste Image A's copied red channel
into Image B's red channel.
5. Create another new 24-bit color image (call it Image C) and copy
the full-color content of Image A into it.
6. Convert Image C to a grayscale image, then convert it back to
24-bit color. (The image will still be in shades of gray, but
it will have separate, identical R, G, and B channels.)
7. Create another 24-bit color image (call it Image D).
8. Copy R, G, and B channels as follows:
Image B's R plus Image C's R to Image D's R
Image C's G to Image D's G
Image C's B to Image D's B

Think of Image A as your scene; Image B as your scene, taken through a red
filter, projected in red light; Image C as your scene, taken through no filter,
projected in white light; and Image D as the combined image of the two projections.

I tried this out. You can see the results at:

http://www.oas.omron.com/bryan/view/testcolr.jpg

...which shows the original and recombined images side by side for comparison.
I don't know if I'd call the recombined image a full-color one, but it
certainly has a certain *appearance* of color. The blue panels on the booth
appear blue in the recombined image, but if you look at the actual RGB values
for that patch, the color is actually a REDDISH gray; it just seems blue in
comparison with the areas around it.

Bryan Beatty

Martin Hardgrave

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article <4p8e4o$1...@earth.superlink.net>, darkstar
<dark...@superlink.net> writes

>>--
>
>I learned it as "Some Officers Have Curly Auburn Hair To
> Offer Attraction".

Sailors often have
curly auburn hair
till old age.

For the electrochemical series:
Pat Smith called me a Zulu: I therefore left him crawling midst sticky
glue.
(K Na Ca Mg Al Zn Fe Sn Pb H Cu Hg Ag Au)

For the start of the periodic table:
h-helibeb-c-nofne-namgalsipsclar-k-casctiv

Aplologies if they've been mentioned.
--
Martin Hardgrave
"First think and then speak."

Turnpike evaluation. For information, see http://www.turnpike.com/

Wolfgang Schwanke

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

R_W...@rubin.alcatel.ch (Rodney Wines) writes:

>Where she had problems was in the area of physics. She knew that there
>were three "primary colors" when mixing paints, so she assumed that this
>described the nature of light itself. I tried to explain to her about the
>electromagnetic spectrum and the fact that there's an infinate number of
>different wavelengths of light and no wavelength is any more "primary"
>than another.

I like this analogy:

Compare the electromagnetic spectrum to sound. Tell her that radiowaves
compare to very deep notes, x-rays to very high notes, and the light
we can see is an arbitrary octave somewhere in the middle.

Within that octave, different single notes compare to different colours.
But you can also have chords of more than one note playing at the same time.
From this perspective, all notes are the same, there are no "primary" notes
any more special than any other note.

And now consider you build a technical instrument that tries to "measure"
the notes and intervals playing. And consider, you make it of three
microphones, each of which can only "hear" a specific note within the octave -
three "samples" out of the entire octave so to speak.
If you think about it, that's a very crude method of sampling.
You can never hope to get a correct measurement of the notes or
chords playing, only an extremely crude approximation.

Example:

1 2 3

A B C

A, B and C are the notes our microphones are tuned to.
Now say you have a note "2" playing right in the middle between A and B.
Both microphones A and B will be triggered at about the same rate,
C will not be triggered.

And now say you have two notes "1" and "3" playing a chord,
where 1 is at the exact note that our microphone A happens to be tuned to,
and 3 is likewhise at the note of microphone B. Again, microphones
A and B will be triggered about equally, C will not.
Physically this situation is quite distinct from note "2" playing alone.
But our "sampling" microphones will react the same.

A person whose only information is the measurement of the microphones,
will not be able to tell the two situations apart. We would be able to
play tricks on him, making him believe he's "hearing" note 2, when
actually we're playing the chord 1 + 3 to him.

Well you guessed it, this is how the eye works. It's not giving
us a real representation of light wavelengths shining out there,
only a crude 3-point-sampling of them.

The television system, computer monitors, colour photos and artists
mixing paint all rely on this, using trickery to make us believe we see
colours they're not actually creating, instead only a crude mix approximation.

And the "primary" colours are the rather arbitrary sampling points
our eyes happen to be tuned to, which you have to know to make the trick work.
Insect eyes have other "smapling points", thus they would use other
"primary colours" if they ever were to invent television or painting.
This fact illustrates nicely that primaries are only an artefact of
the way the eye works. Different primaries for different eyes!

>I THINK that
>"subtractive" means that if you mix 'em all together you get black. If
>that's so, then what colors do you mix to get white? If the answer is,
>"nothing", then why wouldn't white be considered a "primary color" from
>the artistic point of view? I'm genuinely asking. I honestly don't know
>what I'm talking about here.

If you shine spotlights of different colours on a screen, the screen
will reflect both light sources, the "union" of both mathematically speaking.
-> additive mixing.

Paint works by _absorbing_ the light that is not its own colour.
Two paints mixed together will absorb anything any of the components
absorbs. Mathematically speaking, only the "section" of the two paints
will be reflected.
-> subtractive mixing.

Bonne nuit!

Wolfgang

--
Elektropost: wo...@cs.tu-berlin.de | wo...@berlin.snafu.de | wo...@techno.de
WeltweitesSpinnweb: http://www.snafu.de/~wolfi/

sc...@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

Fields) writes:
> =
> =To remember the planets, in order of increasing distance from the sun:
> =
> =My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas
> =
> =(Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)
>
> Or there's the mnemonic suggested by Isaac Asimov:
> Most Voters Earn Money Just Showing Up Near Polls

My mother insists (<- please note huge folklore warning sign) that when
she was young they used "Mary's Violet Eyes Make Jim Stay Up Nights".
Then Pluto was discovered and they changed it to "Mary's Violet Eyes Make
Jim Stay Up Nights Period".

On medical mnemonics we used to remember the hormones produced by the
different levels of the adrenal gland by "Salt, sugar, sex: The lower you
go the sweeter it gets"

Susan

Jerry Vochteloo

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

Here's one we learned in high school

Kindly Native Bears can make all men crowd zoos, Ferdinants nice sugary
pill help cure headaches and prevent astma.

This is the activity series of metals.

K, Na, Ba, Ca, Mg Al, Mn, Cr, Zn, Fe, Ni, Sn, Ph H, Cu Hg, Ag Pt, Au

You need a little imagination to get it to work...

--
_/ _/_/ _/ _/ | Jerry Vochteloo, je...@cse.unsw.edu.au
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ | School of Computer Science and Engineering

Pan

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

Scott Baker wrote:

> Joe Thompson wrote:
> >
> > Karl Brace wrote:
> > > Kill Price 'Cause Odor From Gorilla Stinks!

> > > Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species
> >
> > We learned:
> >
> > King Philip Comes Over For Good Soup.
> >
> > Considering the number of times King Philip's name was invoked in that class,
> > he must have been a portly gent indeed. -- Joe
>
> :) We used the phrase "King Philip Came Over From Germany Swimming."

We were taught;

Knights Play Chess Or Fight Green Snakes

Alicia Rice

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

On 11 Jun 1996, Jon Moulton wrote:

> Here's a few more (I hope I'm not repeating previous posts; sorry if so):
> LEO goes GRR
> loss of electrons in oxidation, gain of electrons in reduction
>
> C. HOPKNS CaFe, Mg.
> remember as "C. Hopkins Cafe, manager"
>
> This is a list of elements needed in living systems. Exceptions are rare (and
> exclusively bacterial - e.g. lactococcus may not need iron)
> carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, phosphorous, potassium, nitrogen, sulfur, calcium,
> iron, magnesium.
>
> C HOPKNS CaFe, Mg B Mn Cu Zn Mo, Cl Co
>
> "C. Hopkins Cafe, managed by mine cousin Moe, clean and cozy"
> This is a list of elements required by higher plants. It's not exhaustive,
> but covers many of the important trace elements.

We learned "C. Hopkins Cafe, Mmmm good."

To remember metric prefixes:
"King Henry, Darnit, Don't Chase Mary."
(Kilo Hecta Deca ___ Deci Centi Milli)
much easier to write that out when converting from liters to milliliters
than remember powers of 10.

Alicia Rice
ri...@conquest.witcc.cc.ia.us
"I am a student. Please do not fold, spindle, or mutilate me."

"We had the sky up there," said Huckleberry Finn, "all speckled with
stars, and we used to lie on our backs and look up at them, and discuss
about whether they was made, or just _happened_."
-Mark Twain

Paul A. Delaney

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

jh...@cornell.edu (John Horne) wrote:

> John

Try the word "CATGUT". Maybe not brilliant but it has helped me!

Paul A. Delaney

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

Of course, one has to mention Bode's Law (which really isn't a law)
for remembering distance of planets.

Write down the following list:

0 3 6 12 24 48 96 192

Add 4 to each then divide by 10:

0.4 0.7 1.0 1.6 2.8 5.2 10.0 19.6

These are the sun-planet distances (in astronomical units) for
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Asteroids, Jupiter, Saturn, and Uranus.

Actually Uranus or Neptune doesn't quite fit into this scheme, but
there it is.

Michael Moroney

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

In article <4phbtg$p...@news.alcatel.ch>,

R_W...@rubin.alcatel.ch (Rodney Wines) wrote:
> toghther you get white. It seems to me that I've read that any three
> colors will work for this that are sufficiently far apart in the spectrum.
> Of course, it's possible that if you're restricting yourself to visible
> light that only shades of red, green, and blue are "sufficiently far apart
> in the spectrum." ;^)

If you pick any 3 colors and plot the points that correspond to the "standard
color diagram" (I forget its name), you can generate any color that resides
inside the triangle formed by the 3 points (using the 3 colors as additive
primaries). You cannot generate colors outside the triangle.

If you pick red green and blue you can get most colors.

-Mike

JAMES DEMAY

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Ok, folks -- what does this represent?

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles.

---...

Superdave the Wonderchemist

Superdave the Wonderchemist

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

There are lots of bad taste resistor mnemonics out there, but i still
remember the one my grandfather taught me when I was ten:

Big Boys Race Our Young Girls But Violet Generally Wins.

(a bit more sensitive to the growing numbers of female electrical engineers)

-Superdave The Wonderchemist

Steve Fry

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Tuukka Kalliokoski (tuukka.ka...@ntc.nokia.com) wrote:
: How about this:

: 'How I Need A Drink, Alcoholic Of Course, After The Heavy Chapters Of
: 3 1 4 1 5 9 2 6 5 3 5 8 2

: Quantum Mechanics'
: 7 9

: Easy way to memorize pi to 14 decimals !

Except that it's not pi -- 3.14159265358979
^
perhaps you should replace "of" with "involving"

-- Steve F.

Bryan Beatty

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Steve Fry wrote:
> : 'How I Need A Drink, Alcoholic Of Course, After The Heavy Chapters Of
> : 3 1 4 1 5 9 2 6 5 3 5 8 2
>
> : Quantum Mechanics'
> : 7 9
>
> : Easy way to memorize pi to 14 decimals !
> Except that it's not pi -- 3.14159265358979
> perhaps you should replace "of" with "involving"

For the grandaddy of pi mnemonics, check out:
http://users.aol.com/s6sj7gt/mikerav.htm

...He's modified Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" to encode the digits of pi in
just this way, to 740 decimal places!

Bryan Beatty

Michael D. Painter

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

The plot of all the visible colors is sort of a triangle with slightly
rounded sides. I think that red green and blue are at the corners so you
get most of the colors. (Kirtzwell, korkoff ???? color triangle)

> mor...@world.std.com (Michael Moroney) wrote in article
<w3NwxkOJ...@world.std.com>...

Steve Fry

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

Carl J Lydick (ca...@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU) wrote:
: =If I recall correctly, the details of the phenomenon are as follows:
: =1) Take two photographs of a scene, one with no filter and one with a red
: = filter.
: =2) Project the two images on a screen, using a red filter for the image
: = taken using a red filter, and no filter for the image taken using no
: = filter.
: =People will perceive a color image.

: I neglected to mention in step 1 that you use black and white film for both
: images.
: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should have waited to read the whole thread before replying -- not knowing
others would bring this up.
Actually the way to do this is to use black-and-white film. Take one
picture of your scene with one colored filter, then take another
picture of the same scene (use a tripod) with a different colored filter
(not with no filter at all). After the monochrome slides are processed,
project each through the same filter used to make the original, with
both scenes exactly on top of one another. Your eye fools your brain into
seeing all colors.

Catherine Jean Lawrence

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

JAMES DEMAY (james...@nonamebbs.com) wrote:
: Ok, folks -- what does this represent?
: My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles.

Or "Many Very Easy Maps Are Just Showing us New Places"

cheers
Cath
From Cath's alter ego as a mild-mannered computer science student
uni: s216...@cse.unsw.edu.au private: cla...@sydney.DIALix.oz.au
work: ca...@agsm.unsw.edu.au (but just mail me once, the .forward works)

Andrew C. Plotkin

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

fry@opticL (Steve Fry) writes:
> Actually, you only need two colors to represent all other colors (as
> far as the human eye perceives it). This is called the Land two-color
> effect.

[...]

> Actually the way to do this is to use black-and-white film. Take one
> picture of your scene with one colored filter, then take another
> picture of the same scene (use a tripod) with a different colored filter
> (not with no filter at all). After the monochrome slides are processed,
> project each through the same filter used to make the original, with
> both scenes exactly on top of one another. Your eye fools your brain into
> seeing all colors.

I don't think this counts as representing all other colors. You do get
the impression of looking at a full-color image, but do you really
have as much information as the original? Can you distinguish all
pairs of colors that you could distinguish in the original image? I
would guess not.

A three-color image does allow the human eye to distinguish any pair
of colors that it could distinguish in the real world. (Ignoring the
limitations already mentioned -- some colors are out-of-gamut, and
also human color receptors have fairly fuzzy and irregular response
curves, which must make a small difference.)

--Z

Steve Fry

SLHinton17

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Another resistor code mnemonic: You have to remember that BLACK and BROWN
are first, and that GRAY and WHITE are last. In between, the old standard
ROY G BIV (for colors of the spectrum) can be used if you'll just
disregard the "I"
that stands for Indigo--which nobody can distinguish from blue anyway!
Sam Hinton
9420 La Jolla Shores Dr.
La Jolla, CA 92037
(619) 453-0679