Helen's Ghost

Fred Rydell

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

While growing up in the mountains of North Carolina I had always heard
various students in my school talking about Helen. I am not sure to this
day how the woman died, I don't remember having heard the exact
circumstances of her death. I was in class one day and heard a couple of
friends talking about going to "call" Helen on Friday night. I ask if I
could come along and they said "yes". I got home from school and made some
excuse to be able to get out of the house and succeeded. A girlfriend
picked me up at 8 and we headed to a town called "Royal Pines". The same
place they filmed the movie "Dirty Dancing". We met up with some guys we
knew and set around awhile in the car and shot the bull and we decided
about 9:00 is was time to drive up the mountain. I remember it being foggy
but you could still see the road, it took us approximately 15 minutes to
reach the water tower at the top of the mountain.
It was cold but I was anxious to see what was up at the water tower. When
we first got there, there were 5-6 other cars parked around and you could
hear people off in the distance laughing and carring on. My first
impression was that this was just a place to park and drink and raise a
little Hell. I saw a friend of mine there and his name was Roy. He is
currently a deputy sheriff. He told me that they had already seen Helen
once that night, I thought that all this was just a hoax and I started
laughing, he looked at me and told me that he would never lie to me and
that he had had enough and was going home. Come to think about it now he
did look kind of pale. He left and I did not see him for a month. In
order to call Helen you had to climb the water tower and call her name
three times. "Helen, come forth". Well I saw with my own eyes, something
that night I could never explain, it started out as a small could of fog
and it enveloped the tower and I could hear 2 guys crying for someone to
come up and get them. They were literally crying and said they wanted to
go home and never come back. After I saw the fog i could hear the faint
crying of a women who sounded like she was in great pain. we left Royal
Pines mountain that night and I never returned. I had also heard that
Helen had left her handprint on the trunck lid of a car and it could not be
washed off or painted over. If I ever get the chance I will try myself to
climb the towere and call forth to Helen once more.

LITTLEPJoo

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

> "Fred Rydell" wrote:

></PRE></HTML>

Oh this>While growing up in the mountains of North Carolina I had always heard

></PRE></HTML>

Oh this was good!!!!!! I was sort of hoping that you would have said it was
Banner Elk or Boone since I go there very often and would definately go SOON.
But Now, I'd at least like to know where it is so I can take an afternoon and
drive to see the tower. Don't think I have the nerve to climb it and yell "come
forth" tho :)

PJ

JENNINE CIMILDORA

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98
to Fred Rydell

That was such a cool story. I'd love to know where this is exactly, so
that if I ever get to the area I could look it up. Thanks. Any
more??? :)

Fred Rydell wrote:

> While growing up in the mountains of North Carolina I had always heard
> various students in my school talking about Helen. I am not sure to this

snip------

janetd...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2018, 12:15:26 PM7/17/18
I find your story to be amusing. The ghost of Helen is in Hendersonville, NC,on Bearwallow Mountain. My uncle lived on the mountain, been there many times. It is believed if you called her name 3 times and said come to me,a ball of fire would roll down the mountain toward you.

Also the movie Dirty Dancing was not filmed in Rolay Pines, which is in Buncombe County, of NC. It was filmed at Lake Lure, in Rutherford County, of NC.I too am from Asheville.

head...@yahoo.com

Jul 2, 2020, 8:03:01 PM7/2/20
Been to Royal pines to the Helen come forth when I was a kid with my older brothers. The story changes over time, I am now 66, back then Helen the story was that Helen was burned to death by her husband in a house and the steps to the house was still there. Also there was a poison shumack bush growing beside the steps. You could get outside your car, get real serious and say this 3 times, Helen come forth, Helen come forth, Helen come forth in the name of the lord and it would start out like the light of a cigarette and keep getting bigger and bigger until it was the size of a car head light and would chase you down the mountain. I never seen it but it was told back then that folks were known run off the road and was found dead with 3rd degree burns all over them. Also dirty dancing was filmed in Blacksburg VA at a hotel named mountain lake

head...@yahoo.com

Jul 2, 2020, 8:48:10 PM7/2/20
And the last person who contributed to this story is right about it being filmed at lake Lure but some of it was filmed at mountain lake near Blacksburg VA.
On another note to my last comment, I Jerry Carroway head...@yahoo.com was Born in Fletcher NC. In 1954, my 2 older brothers and went up to the Helen come forth one day before dark and hung a sheet in a tree with a light and wire running to a 6 volt battery. My middle older brother hid in the woods and we waited till dark with only one wire hooked up (1962) as a crowd gathered and went through the Helen come forth in the name of the lord, my brother touched the other wire to the battery and everyone screaming and running to their cars throwing gravel and down the mountain they went. My brother that was hiding in the woods managed to get the sheet, light battery and wire down and get in the trunk of my oldest brothers car. Some of the folks came back as we were leaving and one had a gun, they thought someone was playing a trick on them but the evidence was heading down the mountain..

pH

Jan 9, 2022, 11:38:08 PM1/9/22
That is funny. (Having people coming back with a gun is *not*
funny, but glad everything worked out.

Have any *real* stories?

pH