New Jersey Ghosts , NJ , Pines , Central , Mid Atlantic ,

Colosus

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
Hi as time comes around near to halloween the interest grows for
places to visit for halloween , so if any of you have been told about
stories of ghosts in the Pines area or anywhere in Central , Mid
Atlantic or Shore Coast areas of New Jersey , Im writting up on little
known haunts from the haloweeen ghost hunter ...
Please get in touch with hun...@merlinscavern.tele2.co.uk
please can you also provide us with general history , how you
came upon this story and map grid ref, ect ect so we can follow up
on your information ..

Thanks in Advanced

Martin J Rogers

Keywords Ghost, Haunted House , New Jersey Ghosts , NJ , Pines ,
Central , Mid Atlantic ,

Duckie

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
The NJ Devil lives in the Pine Barrens.

Go to a search engine and type in

New Jersey Devil

and it will bring up all kinds of links.

Duckie

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:06:10 GMT, wi...@netcomuk.co.uk (Colosus)

Colosus

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
Yes the Devil is one of the most common storries in the pines and
~NJ im really looking for smaller less know ones in common folklore
,legends ect ,,,, thanks for your input

Martin

Chop Suey

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
>Subject: Re: New Jersey Ghosts , NJ , Pines , Central , Mid Atlantic ,
>From: wi...@netcomuk.co.uk (Colosus)

Try Long Beach Island. Lots and lots of ghost sightings in Long Beach. There is
a big lighthouse and many ship wreak victims haunt it's grounds.

Also there is this strange creature, who mutilates and eats dogs at night on
the beach. Nothing is left but blood and skin on their leash. I can tell you
more about it and post a list of public places. But many of the hauntings are
in private homes except the light house. There is only one on long Beach
Island. The best time to view the island is now. It is a summer , tourist
place. So, now you can avoid the crowds.

In Monmouth County, there is a place called The Spy House. It touts itself as
the most haunted building in the USA. It has original construction from the
16th century. It served as a pirate headquarters, a whorehouse , a museum and
many other things. I visited there to check it out about 2-3 years ago. Sadly,
it was closed. But it may be open now as something else. It is smack in a
residental area. There is a strong smell of licorice that permeates the air and
parking lot around it. It has no known source in my opinion.
What a hoot

Joanne Lyons

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00

Try Long Beach Island. Lots and lots of ghost sightings in Long Beach.
There is a big lighthouse and many ship wreak victims haunt it's
grounds. >>>

That's Barnegat Light. I didn't know it was haunted. Maybe that's why
Mom never wanted to go in it! But you have to remember this is the
"afraid of heights family"! We can get to the top okay, but we flatten
ourselves against the wall or crawl around the decking. What a bunch of
nutsos!

Jo

Grinch

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
Try this link: http://www.weirdnj.com/ I've found it fairly interesting.

Grinch

Colosus <wi...@netcomuk.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi as time comes around near to halloween the interest grows for
> places to visit for halloween , so if any of you have been told about
> stories of ghosts in the Pines area or anywhere in Central , Mid
> Atlantic or Shore Coast areas of New Jersey , Im writting up on little
> known haunts from the haloweeen ghost hunter ...
> Please get in touch with hun...@merlinscavern.tele2.co.uk
> please can you also provide us with general history , how you
> came upon this story and map grid ref, ect ect so we can follow up
> on your information ..
>
> Thanks in Advanced
>
> Martin J Rogers
>

> Keywords Ghost, Haunted House , New Jersey Ghosts , NJ , Pines ,

Colosus

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
Well apart from the information from these sites is there any other
documented information about other ghosts
and the JD?

Or do you know of a folklore tale , local legend
ect ?

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:36:26 -0400, Duckie <jmstw...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>The NJ Devil lives in the Pine Barrens.
>
>Go to a search engine and type in
>
>New Jersey Devil
>
>and it will bring up all kinds of links.
>
>Duckie
>

>On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:06:10 GMT, wi...@netcomuk.co.uk (Colosus)

What a Hoot

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
In article <39EBB11C...@nac.net>,

l...@nac.net wrote:

> That's Barnegat Light. I didn't know it was haunted. Maybe that's why
> Mom never wanted to go in it! But you have to remember this is the
> "afraid of heights family"! We can get to the top okay, but we flatten
> ourselves against the wall or crawl around the decking. What a bunch
of
> nutsos!
>
> Jo

LOL! :-D A bunch of wall huggers! :-) I almost slammed the wall
huggers with the door when I finally made it to the top of those
stairs. lol. I fell out that door gasping for air and regreting every
cigarette I ever smoked. hahahah. The wall huggers were glaring, so I
had to face the fear of heights in me in order to get away from them by
going to the edge. :-)

Yes, the ground the Barnegut Light are haunted. Victims of the Barnegut
pirates and of ship wreaks. People would wait with excitement for
shipwreaks. They were interested when the corpses washed ashore so they
could rob them of any valuables. They cut off fingers for rings.

Captain Kidd's treasure is supposed to be buried on the island. Plus
there have many sightings of ghost ships.

A few of the beaches support a ghost or two around there.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

MareCat

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
Where in Monmouth County is the Spy House? My husband was born and
raised in Monmouth Co. (Little Silver, NJ), and he's never heard of it.

Mary

In article <20001016192039...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,
groteb...@aol.comPissy (Chop Suey) wrote:
> >Subject: Re: New Jersey Ghosts , NJ , Pines , Central , Mid
Atlantic ,

> >From: wi...@netcomuk.co.uk (Colosus)
>
> >Yes the Devil is one of the most common storries in the pines and
> >~NJ im really looking for smaller less know ones in common folklore
> >,legends ect ,,,, thanks for your input
> >
> >Martin
>

> Try Long Beach Island. Lots and lots of ghost sightings in Long
Beach. There is
> a big lighthouse and many ship wreak victims haunt it's grounds.

What a Hoot

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
In article <8shm2r$jb9$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

MareCat <mar...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Where in Monmouth County is the Spy House? My husband was born and
> raised in Monmouth Co. (Little Silver, NJ), and he's never heard of
it.

> Mary

Port Monmouth. Is that in Monmouth County? I am not quite sure, I don't
live in NJ, I am in NY. :-) But I do go to NJ for ghost hunting.

This is from Shadowlands:

"Port Monmouth - Spy House Museum - This house was a tavern during
Washington's day and got it's name because the owner would welcome
british troops into the tavern, listen to what they were planning and
tell Washinton's men (hence the name Spy house) and before that it was
used by pirates who supposedly hid treasure in the house and stored
their dead in the basement. There are tunnels under the house and
there have been ghosts of both a pirate and a spirit of a child who
died in the upstairs. Soldiers were murdered there also and it is
described as the "Grand Central Station of Ghosts" in New Jersey."

I found a listing for them in the phone book. :-) This was how I got
the address to go check it out. Perhaps it is opened now and is in an
incarnation of another business. But at the time, I couldn't get in.
IT's still worth it to see. It's right on the beach. It has a lot of
interesting historical structures around it as well. We took pictures.
Nothing odd came out in them. The only thing was the smell.

Have you been down to Cape May?

Daniel Ross

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
There was a rather lengthy discussion about the area and it's people on
alt.horror.cthulhu several months ago. Try a search of AHC on Deja with
keywords like "Barrens" & "Jersey Devil"
good luck
Daniel

Colosus wrote:

> >>Keywords Ghost, Haunted House , New Jersey Ghosts , NJ , Pines ,

MareCat

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
I looked it up--it is in Monmouth County, not far from Sandy Hook
(which is close to Little Silver). We'll definitely check it out the
next time we go up to visit his folks! Thanks for the info!

No, I've never been to Cape May.

Mary

In article <8shpos$mr4$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Colosus

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
We are going to travel north to south NJ
so we shall me visiting Cape May on our journeys
if you want to find out what we come across please
leave a message here and we will get in touch :)

Martin

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:24:24 GMT, MareCat <mar...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>I looked it up--it is in Monmouth County, not far from Sandy Hook
>(which is close to Little Silver). We'll definitely check it out the
>next time we go up to visit his folks! Thanks for the info!
>
>No, I've never been to Cape May.
>
>Mary
>

>> > Where in Monmouth County is the Spy House? My husband was born and

Patricia M.

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
This is from an old issue (unfortunately, I didn't note the issue #, but
within the last 4 years) of "Weird New Jersey":

The Zombie House of Borgs Woods
by Jody D. Weinberg

Borgs Woods, located in Hackensack and Maywood [Bergen Country], is a
stretch of forest that at one time lined a country club. One can dig
just about anywhere and find antique glass bottles buried in the earth,
as golfers used to walk these woods back in the early 1900's.

Years later, mansions were built along Summit Avenue in Hackensack and
many had carriage houses. One such carriage house had long been
abandoned and trees and shrubs grew, obstructing the path to the house.
As children, we were warned to stay away from it, as it was an old
structure and could be unsafe. But we were curious. Here was this
strange little house, sitting right in the middle of the woods, with no
sign of life or care. As children will do, we disobeyed our parents
instruction and ventured into the woods one day to investigate this neat
little house that could possibly serve as a secret hideout or club
house!

Turns out, the house was already occupied, but not by other kids,
animals or adults. There was a zombie in that house! P3rhaps it was a
ghost. but there was something in there. A head, white and featureless,
would appear at hte dirty old windows of the house, as if letting us
know we were not to disturb the place.

My youngest brother, a bold boy, mustered up the nerve to jiggle the
wooden doors to the house, which were padlocked from the outside. On a
dare, he shook the doors, trying to open them. Nohting. Then the doors
jiggled back from the inside. We ran away, spooked.

Through the years, we met other kids, some older and some younger, who'd
had similar experiences. THey'd all seen the head. Some of us called
this place the Haunted House in Borgs Woods, and some referred to it as
The Zzombie House. No matter what we called it, we knew better than to
intrude upon whatever it was that was locked in there.

We are adults now, and scattered throughout the state, but we still tell
stories about the Zombie House from time to time, and just about anyone
growing up near Borgs Woods in the 70s and 80s knows about it.

Borgs Woods got its name from Malcolm Borgs, millionaire and founder of
the Bergen Record, who made his home in one of the Summit Avenue
mansions and owned the land. He is gone now. His mansion has been
converted into doctor's offices, his garden forgotten and dead. The
woods are still there, as they were 100 years ago, wild and beautiful.
They have been established as a nature preserve. One can still venture
into them and come across The Zombie House, if you know which direction
to walk. It's still there. And quite possibly, the head's still there
too... waiting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(and this story is from that same issue)

The Odd Picture

During 1996, a Reverend Olbrite and his wife traveled to New Jersey from
Florida, visiting friends and grandchildren. Reverend Olbrite took some
photos of the area, which he thought he would bring back home to show
his friends the New Jersey landscape.

While traveling west on Route 40 at sunset, the Reverend saw what he
thought would make a nice picture; Elmer Lake at sunset with the small
town in the background. The Reverend got out of his car, attached his
wide-angle lens, and captured the moment.

The Reverend and his wife continued their trip with friends and family
in the Elmer area. It was not until they arrived back home in Florida
and had the film developed that they noticed something strange.

While flipping through the prints, they came upon the photo of Elmer
Lake at sunset, but it didn't appear quite like they had remembered it.

In the photo, there now appeared five orange wooden fishing boats with
fishermen, which were not there that evening. There also appeared to be
three children running with a dog across the beach along the lake. They
also noticed buildings which seemed out of place, and they did not
recall seeing them when they were photographing the lake.

Under a powerful magnifying glass, the Reverend discovered something he
thought quite bizarre. His investigation brought him to the conclusion
that the photo he had taken somehow captured a moment in time from more
than forty years ago. With the magnifier, he noticed two cars with
license plates resembling the '50s era. Upon further investigation of
town records, he was able to identify the buildings that appeared in his
photo, which no longer existed.

An investigation by two separate photographic experts in the country
concluded there was no use of trick photography or any other
manipulation.

The photo of this strange moment caught in time now hangs on the wall of
a local sporting goods store, among other old pictures of the area. Only
this picture has a 1996 date from the photo manufacturer on the back.

Starrlight, Porch Nightlight
still lurking while looking for a light bulb

Patricia M.

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
One more, this one from the October 30, 1997, issue of "Our Town", the
local paper for Maywood and Rochelle Park, NJ

The Haunting of Cumberland House
by Kathy [Panos, Editor]

The old Victorian house stands unobtrusively among its neighbors on West
Central Avenue [Maywood, in Bergen County], its three-story height
camouflaged by thickly-leaved shade trees that cast shadowy designs on
the lawn and street below.

Casual observers would never suspect that this peaceful setting is often
disturbed by strange occurrences and unexplained phenomena. Spirits are
restless this week with Halloween approaching, the perfect time to
relate the story of the Ghost of the Cumberland House.

Built in 1892 by developer Gustav Jaeger, the home was purchased by John
Cumberland who, while visiting Maywood, saw the property and immediately
became enamored of the small mansion. While research into the history of
the house did not reveal exactly when inexplicable things began, stories
date back to Cumberland's granddaughter who grew up in the house. Too
many mysterious events over the years, experienced by various owners of
the home, led to the accepted belief that the house is indeed haunted.

Tad K. and Gordon B. [names given in original story], who moved into the
house in 1980, have experienced many incidents first hand and have
eagerly sought out tales from previous owners.

Their own accounts of mystifying events date back to the time just
before purchasing the house. While sitting in the house meeting with the
owners, a window suddenly flew open. Gordon, ever skeptical of
attributing any of the occurrences to the paranormal, dismissed the
incident to faulty sash cords.

"Don't worry about that," the owner told them. "Things like that happen
all the time around here."

While moving in, Tad set about unpacking the many cartons they had
shipped to the house, using an old, rusty box cutter to open the seals
on their carefully packed possessions. As he reached for the cutter he
realized it had vanished and thought it had been lost amid the moving-in
day clutter. He hadn't given it another thought until it appeared
several weeks later, polished and looking like new. Tad and Gordon,
aware of the stories surrounding the events in the house, had made a
deal with each other not to play tricks on one another and true to their
word, in this case, neither one had.

Others that occupied Cumberland House had similar incidents occur.
Objects being moved and later found in other parts of the house or
grounds and many, many occasions of things going bump in the night.

It was not unusual in the days past for boarders to take up residence on
the home's second floor. And one man in particular will never forget his
stay.

The boarder stayed in a room across the hall from the owner's son, Al.
One day, Al returned home, tired and drained, and wearily climbed the
stairs to his room for a nap. As he dozed, banging on his door suddenly
roused him. He rose and stumbled to the door and opened it to find the
boarder, red-faced with anger. The man yelled at him, accusing the son
of trying to kill him. Al told him he was sleeping and hadn't been in
his room. The boarder, confused and frightened, told him he had felt a
tremendous pressure on his chest and hands around his throat, choking
him. Al sent him away and climbed back into bed where he settled in
again trying to nap.

But sleep was not to be, for as he drifted off, a loud commotion broke
out in the hallway outside his room. Al sat straight up in his bed as
someone pounded on the walls and ran up and down the hall. He got up and
headed for the door, believing he would find the boarder making the
noise that kept him from napping. But as he opened his door the boarder
opened his, believing Al was to blame for the disturbance. No one else
was there. But the puzzled pair found the carpet runner bunched up at
one end of the hallway and saw that a statue of St. Jude had been broken
- its head placed at the figure's feet.

There was a time, a former neighbor told Tad and Gordon, that the ghost
visited her home next door one night. The residents of Cumberland House
had grown tired of listening to the sounds of someone crying out from
the top of the stairs and yelled for the ghost to be quiet. Evidently,
it was insulted, and so it left, but it didn't go far - it ventured to
the house next door - a house built by Cumberland for his grandchildren.

The neighbor was home alone that night while her husband worked the
night shift. Around midnight while sitting up in bed reading, she heard
the front door open and close. Her cat, comfortably curled up at the
foot of the bed, suddenly began hissing. She called out, believing it
was her husband returning from work, but heard no reply. She got up and
went to investigate. No one was there, but when she went to go back to
bed she realized her eyeglasses had vanished. They were found in the
backyard the following Fall while she was raking leaves.

The ghost, who Tad calls "Augustus", seems to have a penchant for taking
things. On several occasions, Tad related, he would come home, place his
keys on a counter or table and going to retrieve them find that they had
disappeared. They would customarily turn up in an upstairs bedroom or
other part of the house where Tad had not been after returning home.

One of the most unsettling experiences occurred one day when Tad was
home alone after Gordon had left for work. While in an upstairs bathroom
shaving, suddenly the pump organ in the hallway began to play. Tad knew
there was no one in the house but he also knew that "just like in the
movies" if he peeked out into the hallway, the music would stop. But the
urge was irresistible and sure enough, when he looked out the door he
was greeted by an eerie silence. Now, half in and half out of the
bathroom, he realized that if he retreated, the music would swell again.
Like a scene from "Hold That Ghost" he slowly backed into the bathroom
and the strains of organ music filled the house. Gordon came home from
work to find Tad sitting on the front porch, shaving cream still on his
face. The incident was so chilling, he said, he couldn't stay inside the
house.

Gordon tried to hang onto his conviction that there is a plausible,
reasonable explanation for everything that occurs inside the Cumberland
House. Those footsteps on the front porch are simply house sounds; the
front doors swinging open during a snowstorm are due to their not being
latched properly; their three dogs barking suddenly is because they
heard a noise outside; the night he declared "there are no such things
as 'ghosts'" and a large painting broke free of its moorings above the
fireplace and went crashing to the floor was merely a coincidence.

Tad, however, counters with the fact that one of the front double doors
has latches at the top and bottom that must both be released before the
door will open. And how do you explain the work boots that occasionally
appear at the bottom of the stairs when neither one of them owns such
footwear? And what about that drinking glass that flew out of the
drainboard and smashed against a wall across the room?

Tad even tried to confront the ghost one day as it created a fuss in the
basement. All sorts of banging and cacophony emanated from the cellar,
prompting Tad to descend the stairs and say, "I know you are here. Show
me!" He got no response, but the noise ceased.

When anticipating the interview with Tad and Gordon, I wavered between
the hope and the hesitation that I might witness a ghostly occurrence
during my visit to their home. Tad assured me that "the ghost doesn't do
parlor tricks." But after what occurred that evening, I could take issue
with that statement.

While being treated to a tour of the home and enjoying Tad and Gordon's
eclectic mix of antiques and flea market treasures, I was completely
absorbed by the fascinating history of the house. Gordon invited me to
see the brick oven located in the basement, the site of the original
kitchen. As he stepped from the dining room onto the first riser of the
narrow staircase that led to the dimly lit cellar, the lights in the
house went out. Gordon quickly claimed it was another coincidence,
simply a circuit breaker tripping. Perhaps the only thing we'll ever
know for sure was that the timing was impeccable.

It is a widely held belief among students of the paranormal that spirits
fail to "pass over" because they have unfinished business that must be
resolved before they can be at peace. Extensive research into the home
and its history, however, has turned up no clues as to who the ghost
might be and what prevents him from being at rest.

The mischief attributed to the Cumberland Ghost is harmless and Tad and
Gordon agree that he adds a certain character to their already
remarkable home. But others do not accept his presence with such light
hearts. Psychics who have visited the house have refused outright to
venture to the third floor where servants' quarters and the "tower" are
located. And for years, trick-or-treaters have passed by the house.
Perhaps it is the chill that tickles the hair at the nape of your neck
when you look up to the tower to see a figure of a child staring down.
That child, you should know, is a mannequin, positioned there by Tad and
Gordon to add a little "color" to the longtime legend of their haunted
house.

And so, on this Halloween Eve, we are left to draw our own conclusions
on whether Cumberland house is indeed inhabited by a ghost. It may be
wise to keep an open mind, however, for it may be something only those
souls in the nether world will ever know for sure. Prepare carefully for
tomorrow, remembering that you have no way of knowing what really lurks
beneath the costumes of those trick-or-treaters who inevitably will come
knocking on your door.

Happy Halloween!

Starrlight, Porch Nightlight
back to lurking while looking for a light bulb

colusus

Oct 18, 2000, 8:30:39 PM10/18/00
Thanks Pat these are just what we are looking for please if you know
of any others or come across them in the next four week please let us
know , I have just got to say thanks thanks and thanks for these :)

Martin (@home)