Omens of Death

Corryn Thorgersen

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
Has anyone heard of someone dying after, "Smelling the Roses/Flowers"?

About 4 years ago, I was at work. I worked in a courthouse as a
stenographer. Anyone working for government, city or federal,
knows exactly what a typical government building looks like.
Dirty, smelly, stale-recycled air (at least in NYC, where I worked)

Anyway, all day long I was smelling flowers.
Not just the typical smell from a fresh, new Spring day,
but the kind of smell you smell when a bouquet of fresh flowers
are sitting on your desk, right in front of you.
Just being curious as I did my daily work things,
I was looking around for flowers.
No one had any flowers. I kept saying to my co-workers,
You guys smell the flowers? Anyone smell that?
Everyone said, NO.

Well, the next morning I woke up to a telephone call from my best friends'
mother. She informed me that Jennifer's boyfriend, Neil, had
died in a plane crash along with his grandfather, the night before.

-Corryn

Cari Lewin

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
In article <310674...@tnp.com>, pani...@tnp.com says...

--
Cari Lewin
ucl...@lulu.acns.nwu.edu

Hi,I've only lurked here a few times, so I hope I don't post anything improper for
this group ... but I've had a flower-smelling experience.

I was in church one Sunday with my mother and I kept smelling roses. The scent was
quite strong and I thought, "Someone must be wearing a lot of rose-scented
perfume." Mass went on , and I began looking around for, trying to place the
scent. I asked my mother about the roses and she began smelling them too. But
neither of us could figure out who was wearing the perfume.

Anyways, towards the end of the mass, we went up for communion. On the way back to
our seats, we passed the women sitting in front of us and the rose scent became
particularly strong. We figured it must be her perfume. After mass was over, she
turned around, introduced herself (this was 8-10 years ago and I don't remember her
name), and asked me if I'd smelled roses during mass. I said yes and asked her if
she was wearing rose perfume. She said no and then started this story. She'd gone
to see a psychic a few days earlier (she also said she knew she wasn't supposed to
see psychics, being Catholic and all, but I digress =) ). This psychic told her
that in a former life she had been a nun in the order of St. Therese ... the saint
who is always pictured with roses. She said that this week she would encounter the
reincarnated spirit of St. Therese, and she would recognize her by the smell of
roses.

I've shared this story with a few people, but don't really know what to make of it.
I keep thinking I'll look into the history of St. Therese, but never do it. Oh
well, I guess I'm not looking for explanatins, I'm just glad for the experience.

Cari
Who doesn't expect everything to have an explanation

Joe Coleman

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
In article <4e4gs2$a...@reader2.ix.netcom.com>, cor...@ix.netcom.com
(Corryn Thorgersen ) wrote:

> Has anyone heard of someone dying after, "Smelling the Roses/Flowers"?

> All day long I was smelling flowers. Not just the typical smell from a fresh,

> new Spring day, but the kind of smell you smell when a bouquet of fresh
> flowers are sitting on your desk, right in front of you.
>

> The next morning I woke up to a telephone call from my best friends' mother.

> She informed me that Jennifer's boyfriend, Neil, had died in a plane crash
> along with his grandfather, the night before.

My sister-in-law discovered about 9 months ago that she had cancer
throughout her body. She had breast cancer about 4 years ago, went through
a masectomy and chemotheraphy, and was pronounced "cured." Except she
wasn't. About 9 months ago she had a backache that would not go away. The
doctor suggested that because of her history she should go through a bone
scan. That's when the cancer was detected. It was in her lungs, liver, on
4 ribs and in several vertebrae.

She started some serious chemotherapy. My family is from South Texas, and
has a history of being Catholic. A *lot* of people were praying for my
sister-in-law. She started saying the rosary regularly. Now here's where
the "roses" smell comes in. She insists that three times, while sitting at
home and saying the rosary, that the room she was in filled with the scent
of fresh cut flowers. A "large" overpowering scent, not just a whiff on a
breeze. One evening, while she was away from home preparing to go to
another clinic appointment, she smelled the scent of roses again and felt
a light caress of her arm and cheek as she lay worrying about the next
day.

All these experiences gave her tremendous strength, and she was able to
lick this cancer. As of a month ago she was prounced 98 per cent clear of
cancer. She underwent an experimental treatment called a "stem cell
transplant" where stem cells, the parent cells that replicate themselves,
are extracted from your body and frozen. After massive chemotheraphy that
distroys the immune system, the stem cells are reinjected and they reform
the marrow and immune system.

She got through the whole thing remarkably, with incredible strength.
She's doing very very well and has a very bright future. But the instances
of her experiences with the Virgin Mary are very strong and mystical. I'm
in awe of what happened.

Joe

(0 0)
+-oOO----(_)-------+ |||
| big...@ccsi.com | (0 0)
| Austin,Texas | +--------(_)---oOO+
| USA | | Jesus |
+--------------oOO-+ | Loves You |
|__|__| +-oOO-------------+
|| || || ||
ooO Ooo ooO Ooo

My opinions are those of my employer because I work for myself.

Eric C Tessau

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Although this has nothing to do with omens of death, the roses story is
very similar to one told to me just four years ago during confirmation
class by my confirmation instructor. She (and her family) had just been
to some locale in GA where the Virgin Mary supposedly appears (like
Medujgorie (sp?)). Well, she didn't see Mary that day, but two weird
things supposedly happened to her after going there. First, her rosary
turned colors. Now, if you knew my teacher, she wouldn't do it for a
laugh or to make something out of nothing, so I tend to believe this
(apparently it turned from the silvery steel/iron (whatever metal her's
is out of) to goldish sheen). Secondly, and on topic, the day after they
got back to their house, an incredible floral smell filled their house.
Now, I believe I would have heard if someone died, so I don't think
that's it. She said the smell was almost nauseously strong, and that
they checked everywhere around and in the house -- there was nothing
blooming (memory fails me, but it could have even been winter) anywhere.
Anywho, that's my $.02...

Later,
Eric

Blake Wylie

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96

I had a great great aunt (my great Grandmother's sister) who claimed that she knew when
someone was going to die soon. She said that she knew this when she saw roses
around them. I found this pretty interesting.

Blake Wylie

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (DV)
The Truth is Out There

Mohammed Abdul Malik

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
In article <4ep300$e...@parlor.hiwaay.net>, bwy...@hiwaay.com (Blake Wylie)
wrote:

I think your great aunt is a sad person and you dumb arse fall for her
stupid stories.Any one can predict when some one is about to pass away
because they won't be lying there on the death bed.When a person sees
roses around a person it means that the person is dead you stupid person
and that goes for your great aunt.when you say that the truth is out
there, are you refering to a mental hospital because you'll find a lot of
answers there waiting for you.

E.J.K. Lewis

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
In article
<zcftm66-0202...@mac-131.ucl-32.bcc.ac.uk>,

zcf...@ucl.ac.uk (Mohammed Abdul Malik) wrote:

>I think your great aunt is a sad person and you dumb arse
fall for her
>stupid stories.Any one can predict when some one is about to
pass away
>because they won't be lying there on the death bed.When a
person sees
>roses around a person it means that the person is dead you
stupid person
>and that goes for your great aunt.when you say that the
truth is out
>there, are you refering to a mental hospital because you'll
find a lot of
>answers there waiting for you.

Will someone please teach this poor soul something about
grammar, spelling, and perhaps give him a dictionary to read.
Emma

dolores herdman

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
-=> Quoting Wildw...@aol.com to All <=-

Wi> My father passed away last week... around the time it happened, the
Wi> blinds near the window in the studio where I work came crashing down.
Wi> A photo of Jesus on the wall of my Grandmother's house came crashing
Wi> this thread, I wondered what it might have been. maybe it wasn't an
Wi> Omen of anything at all... All I know is i miss my Dad, and wish he
Wi> hadn't gone.
Wi> Wes

Your message touched me with sadness..never sure which parts of the
address to quote and which not to...just wanted to say I'm sorry, and allow
yourself to grieve..it can be healing.

... Crime is merely politics without the excuses
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Seeker

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
Mohammed Abdul Malik (zcf...@ucl.ac.uk) wrote:
: I think your great aunt is a sad person and you dumb arse fall for her
: stupid stories.Any one can predict when some one is about to pass away
: because they won't be lying there on the death bed.When a person sees
: roses around a person it means that the person is dead you stupid person
: and that goes for your great aunt.when you say that the truth is out
: there, are you refering to a mental hospital because you'll find a lot of
: answers there waiting for you.

now that was un-called for, un-productive, and generally annoying.
to those of you who have just tuned in, this is -NOT- representative
of the level of discourse (or intelect) in this NG, please ignore
this clown.

mohammed abdul malik, the first thing you will read on many posts here is
"I have been reluctant to share this story for fear of ridicule...."
Thank you -SO- much for your putting everyone's mind at ease about post-
ing here, I think we can all predict how your enlightened discourse will
improve the quantity and quality of new posts, and I know I speak for many
when I say we all impatiently await your next gem of wisdom, please do
let us hear from you soon.
--
.----HIS GRACE, THE SEEKER OF MANY THINGS, AKA JOHNNY FREAKBOY(TM)----.
| "In Unix, no-one can hear you "Autocanibalism, the diet |

Stephen Atty

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
In message <4f7f38$88g...@leeds.ac.uk>, CHE5...@leeds.ac.uk said:

> Will someone please teach this poor soul something about grammar,
> spelling, and perhaps give him a dictionary to read.
> Emma

Don't worry Emma - I don't think he'll be bothering us again

Steve

Laura Mitchell

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
apt...@netcom.com wrote:
: My late brother told me that during WWII, he could see a glow around the
: faces of his buddies when they were going to be killed within a day. He
: stopped looking at them directly, fearing this phenomenon. It stopped,
: once the war was over and he was back home.

: I used to smell roses, when none were around, after my father's death.
: Since he loved roses, I thought it ws his way of telling me he still
: loved me, and was keeping me safe. It stopped when I eached 21. Odd.

The Twilight Zone did a story like this . . . of course, the guy
looked in the mirror one day and saw the glow about his own face.

Laura
--
Snow riders in the sky*************************************************

\o/
******^ /
/ \ >
\ \
\
***^
\ mitc...@owl.csusm.edu

James K. Lai

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
m.edu>:
Laura Mitchell (mitc...@coyote.csusm.edu) wrote:
: apt...@netcom.com wrote:

: The Twilight Zone did a story like this . . . of course, the guy

: looked in the mirror one day and saw the glow about his own face.

Supposedly Lincoln saw a glow around his face too before he went to the
theater. Kinda wish I still had that book when I read this from.

James

WildWesXTR

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
Thanks. You're very kind. It's nice to find that not only in the world,
but on the web.

Take care.

Wes

lunacros...@yahoo.com

Jul 24, 2018, 4:09:53 AM7/24/18
On Wednesday, January 24, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Corryn Thorgersen wrote:
> Has anyone heard of someone dying after, "Smelling the Roses/Flowers"?
>
> About 4 years ago, I was at work. I worked in a courthouse as a
> stenographer. Anyone working for government, city or federal,
> knows exactly what a typical government building looks like.
> Dirty, smelly, stale-recycled air (at least in NYC, where I worked)
>
> Anyway, all day long I was smelling flowers.
> Not just the typical smell from a fresh, new Spring day,
> but the kind of smell you smell when a bouquet of fresh flowers
> are sitting on your desk, right in front of you.
> Just being curious as I did my daily work things,
> I was looking around for flowers.
> No one had any flowers. I kept saying to my co-workers,
> You guys smell the flowers? Anyone smell that?
> Everyone said, NO.
>
> Well, the next morning I woke up to a telephone call from my best friends'
> mother. She informed me that Jennifer's boyfriend, Neil, had
> died in a plane crash along with his grandfather, the night before.
>
> -Corryn

lunacros...@yahoo.com

Jul 24, 2018, 4:12:13 AM7/24/18
My brother died in May 2015 and I smelled Lilies and kept hearing "Rosewater" in my head. It felt like an Egyptian type of atmosphere. I looked up lilies and it says the smell represents the divination of the Holy Spirit(Mary). It is all very real. When you smell that it means the Holy Spirit is protecting the dying person.

meliap...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2019, 4:50:42 PM1/1/19
I disagree with you. I've smelled roses before several times and someone had always passed away. I've also had dreams of people and could tell my parents someone was gonna die. God gave me that gift many years serving him. It's sad that you have to talk down to someone over their beliefs. I think your the one needs a mental health hospital. I'll pray for you

cbusylol

Jan 1, 2019, 10:32:40 PM1/1/19
On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 2:50:42 PM UTC-7, meliap...@gmail.com wrote:
> I disagree with you. I've smelled roses before several times and someone had always passed away. I've also had dreams of people and could tell my parents someone was gonna die. God gave me that gift many years serving him. It's sad that you have to talk down to someone over their beliefs. I think your the one needs a mental health hospital. I'll pray for you

It's kind of zany to think one who practices modern religion to suggest mental evaluation to someone else, no less in a group that [rarely] discusses modern, classic, and urban lore, which could be construed as the parallel equivalent.

Also, I'll bet dimes to donuts you didn't pray for them

>looks at the logs

countryg...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2019, 3:59:11 PM7/13/19
Generally speaking of smelling the roses...frankly they have been extermely fragrant and abundant in a local flower garden of a park called lake view park...thus with the shifting of the planet 13 days ago and thus the new changing of the star systems taking effect the past 6 months. evelotuinary we are evolving into what is know as the new age of enlightments...the simple things that brought us simple pleasures will no longer need to be a part of this life time...though they are much desirable as roses has always been the starndard for love and death...
long story short after spending the entireity of my atime at this particualr location for the past 13 days the floweres of over thousands has lost there beauty and also there fragrances. perhaps 7-10 were still boosting fragrant aromas...the rest had holes burned into them and they all were drooping over as if sucked of there souls....
The past night I stayed to encounter a sudden cloud formation and nickel size rain drops and a beautiful lightening show. beams of light dancing horizontally for 45 minutes over this flower garden...then the cloud shifted N.E. Enlightenments of the spiritual age is progressing at an alarming rate

Gulen Uygarer

Feb 10, 2021, 11:48:22 AM2/10/21
13 Temmuz 2019 Cumartesi tarihinde saat 22:59:11 UTC+3 itibarıyla countryg...@gmail.com şunları yazdı:
January 12, 2021 I lost my mom.
Yesterday and today I smell scent of white lent lilly in the close room. I cant explain where this smell came in my bedroom. After 4 days of my mom loss, I gave a birth. I cant explain my pain.