"Ghost" image before CRT implosion, likely reason

plateshutoverlock

Feb 23, 2023, 3:09:16 AM2/23/23
https://www.textise.net/showText.aspx?strURL=https%253A//www.sandiegoreader.com/news/1994/mar/24/straight-exploding-tv/

"Salaam to thee, O Enlightened One! A while ago, a friend of mine, an interior decorator, was hired to redo a living room for a semiinvalid lady who was living alone. The drapes in the room had small holes ripped in them, and bits of debris were embedded in the walls."

A CRT without proper implosion control will explode this violently. I saw a couple videos on Youtube of CRTs with the anti-implosion band removed being smashed with a tossed hammer, and the sheer force and noise was impressive to say the least.

" The owner explained that one evening she turned off her TV set, as usual, but this time the picture stayed on the screen. Frightened, she unplugged the set, but the picture remained."

They didn't say what was on the screen. It could've been blobs which I have heard of happening with TVs ready to go belly up, or an actual picture which I have not. They also don't say how bright the room was which would affect her ability to see a picture on the screen. In either case, it sounds like the electron gun was overdriven far beyond it's normal operating voltage. This will cause images (or blobs) to stay on the screen a lot longer than they normally would due to the phosphor on the face of the screen being overexcited. Especially if the phosper is cheap/high persistence. I've seen this happen myself, random patchy blobs caused by failing circutry that stayed long after the TV was turned off.

"To compose herself, she left the room and settled down in her bedroom to read a while before going to bed. Then came the explosion. My friend tells me she thinks this woman is lucky to be alive. Are you aware of any incidents like this — M. Larson, San Diego

One at a time, yes. As a sort of package deal freak-out, no. Since I have this story thirdhand, I suspect there were some details garbled in the translation. The best my technosources can tell me without more data, there’s probably no connection between the ghostly image and the explosion. Yeah, I had a hard time believing it, too, but apparently the little old lady was just having a remarkably bad TV day."

The 'ghostly' image and explosion likely had the same cause: A failing component in the TV causing a severe overvoltage. And I can see how an overvolted electron gun (creating the persisting ghost image) would also be running extremely hot, weakening the glass of the CRT which would cause the thousands of pounds of atmospheric force that all large vaccumed out glass vessels on Earth are subject to to finally be able to crush it. Glass shards blow in at an extreme high speed, collide and bounce off of each other going outward. Implosion-explosion.

Mark Prince Molina

Oct 25, 2023, 9:07:56 AM10/25/23
May I have your permission to feature your stories on my horror podcast? It would be a great honor to share your work with my audience. Thank you in advance for your consideration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f33dsjL9zM&list=UULFMqyv6NpcNHXUQhzkkKiPfw