Witches Of Wiscasset

Way Of The Ray

Dec 10, 2002, 4:34:11 AM12/10/02
Wow! Witches? Here?

Paula Gibbs

What's going on in the purple building on Route 1?

If the Witch's of Wiscasset wanted to have a mission statement, it would
probably be "Promoting positive thinking and hugs," says owner Nancy
Graham, who has just opened the unique shop just north of the Wiscasset
Motor Lodge.

"We're a little off the wall," admits Graham, who has hired several of
her good friends and her daughter, Misha Grayson, to work with her.

Her employees wear traditional Medieval costumes, including head dresses
every day except Friday, "dress down day," when they wear purple t
shirts with the shop's logo.

"All of the people who work here have regular jobs somewhere else.
They're working here to help me and because they're interested."

"Interested," in this case, means interested in anything that relates to
being a "wiccan," or witch, whether it is medieval times, spells,
psychic phenomena, Renaissance shows, herbs, natural healing, incense,
aromatherapy, or tarot cards.

Graham, who says she is a witch, wants to dispel the myth that witches
are bad.

She admits defining a witch is hard. "It's like trying to define an
individual," she says.

Being a witch is a religion, she says. Raised Roman Catholic, she found
the rules of the church promoted stress in her life, rather than peace.

"I'm a solitary practitioner," she says. "I take my rituals and my
practices from all different sects."

"Being a witch means you have a belief in the all.' It means everything
has its own life. We believe in some kind of power out there. We believe
in a god and a goddess that encompasses everything."

But most important, she says, she "believes in being kind and
compassionate."

Graham does tarot reading -- free for her friends and $25 for others.
She used to do readings at Enchantments, a store in Boothbay Harbor.

Before she will do a reading, she tells the client he or she "must be
able to hear the bad along with the good."

She describes reading the tarot cards as "picking out whatever
information the all' lets me see."

Several weeks ago, she told her good friend Patty Ingling that she would
get a job offer. Within two weeks she had gotten two job offers.

Her shop has a variety of wiccan-related items, like figurines of
Merlin, unicorns and dragons, a collection of incense and aromatic oils,
medieval costumes and Renaissance clothes and patterns, retro (1960s)
psychedelic incense and cone burners, incense sticks, and sleep pillows.

There are also some "touristy" items like crystal and spun glass, small
statues of animals, seed beeds, Star Wars t shirts, face masks (to
relieve headaches), and brightly colored fuzzy pens and notebooks.

She also has several cases full of jewelry which she sells on commission
for antiques dealer David Higgins, who will still be selling antiques in
part of the building next door.

In addition to selling patterns for Renaissance clothes, Graham teaches
tailoring and will also make clothes to order.

She plans to have an herb garden this summer next to her shop. Using
herbs instead of pills whenever possible is part of her belief.

"When I get a cold, instead of taking a cold capsule I drink all natural
tea called "Breathe Easy." Another tea, called "Throat Coat" relieves
hoarseness and helps in swallowing, she says.

In front of the store she has a growing collection of outdoor statues,
made by Brian Reed. He calls them "found art" because the metal
sculptures are all made from pieces of discarded equipment or machines.

"People get a real kick out of looking at them and trying to figure out
what they were made from," she says.

In addition to her daughter and her friend Patty, others who are working
in the shop include Ted Closson and June Perry.

Like the outside, the interior is painted purple, too. Or, to be more
specific, the lavender color is "Pandora's Purple" and the dark purple
is "Grand Waltz."

Why purple?

"It's my favorite color," Graham says. "It's also a power color, and it
means good health."

And why the apostrophe in "Witch's?"

"Because it's a witch's shop."

Oh yes, one more thing. She thinks the building is haunted.

"Things keep disappearing," she says with a smile.

Wiscasset Newspaper P.O. Box 429, Wiscasset, ME 04578 Tel:
207.882.6355

Mistah Gray

Dec 11, 2002, 1:45:17 AM12/11/02
May I ask what town you hail from? mrz
"Way Of The Ray" <way...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Larry Brown

May 21, 2023, 5:45:03 PM5/21/23
I knew the original (I think), Kathy. Great person, she had a daughter named Jessie. We used to hand out together at the Tree House.

Mark Prince Molina

Oct 25, 2023, 9:06:29 AM10/25/23
May I have your permission to feature your stories on my horror podcast? It would be a great honor to share your work with my audience. Thank you in advance for your consideration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f33dsjL9zM&list=UULFMqyv6NpcNHXUQhzkkKiPfw