Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Jeff Robertson

ungelesen,
19.01.1994, 20:30:3519.01.94
an
What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?

| JEFF ROBERTSON <JROB...@UA1VM.UA.EDU> |
| UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA |
| P.O. BOX CO, TUSCALOOSA AL, 35487 |
| (205) 348 - 5465 |
"We think women should have a choice when it comes to
being pregnant. Barefoot is another story." - K. Cole

Andy Wardley

ungelesen,
20.01.1994, 10:30:0920.01.94
an
Jeff Robertson writes:
>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?

This one.

Andy "I hope this goes on forever or I'm gonna look a fool" Wardley

: , , This Spot (Not Allowed) is in no way dedicated
Andy Wardley : -o o- to anyone called Derek, Dave or Terry, Lemurs,
a...@oasis.icl.co.uk : l Leader Kibo, Odd Physics, GIFs or eMOTTOicons.
std dsclmr avlbl : - This line still available - call 0800-SIGRENT.
Kip Crosby tried to escape but I got him back.

Ernst 'pooh' Mulder

ungelesen,
20.01.1994, 17:12:2720.01.94
an

Andy Wardley writes:
>Jeff Robertson writes:
>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?
>This one.
It does go on, doesn't it?

pooh
----
/* internet: po...@stack.urc.tue.nl * snail mail: Hoogstraat 214 *
* po...@es.ele.tue.nl * 5615 PX Eindhoven *
* telephone: +31 40-572314 (home) * the Netherlands *
* +31 40-446969 (work) */

Thomas Beagle

ungelesen,
20.01.1994, 18:00:2220.01.94
an
Jeff Robertson <JROB...@ua1vm.ua.edu> wrote:
>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?

This one.

Every article ever posted has just been a follow-up to the first
"Hello world" post...

--
Thomas Beagle | ,__o I was human once, but I'm better now.
Technical Writer | _-\_<, tho...@geac.co.nz

Tom Salyers

ungelesen,
21.01.1994, 00:26:3321.01.94
an

In a previous article, po...@brokendrum.stack.urc.tue.nl (Ernst 'pooh' Mulder) says:

>Andy Wardley writes:
>>Jeff Robertson writes:
>>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?
>>This one.

>It does go on, doesn't it?

He's makin' it up as he goes along!!! =)
--
Tom Salyers "Now is the Windows of our disk contents
IRCnick: Aqualung made glorious SimEarth by this Sun of Zork."

Liam Relihan

ungelesen,
21.01.1994, 06:23:5321.01.94
an

Tom Salyers writes:

>Ernst 'pooh' Mulder says:
>>Andy Wardley writes:
>>>This one.
>>It does go on, doesn't it?
>He's makin' it up as he goes along!!! =)
Goddamit...I'm tired of this thread...its been going on far too long...take it to e-mail.

Liam "tired of it all" Relihan

---
Liam Relihan, Voice: +353-61-333644 ext.5015
CSIS, Schumann Building, -KIBO- Fax: +353-61-330876
University Of Limerick, E-mail: reli...@ul.ie
Ireland. http://itdsrv1.ul.ie/PERSONNEL/lrelihan.html

Jeff Robertson

ungelesen,
23.01.1994, 20:28:2923.01.94
an
In article <CJxpq...@dsbc.icl.co.uk>

a...@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Andy Wardley) writes:

>Jeff Robertson writes:
>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?
>
>This one.
>
>Andy "I hope this goes on forever or I'm gonna look a fool" Wardley

Hmmm.... I wonder how we can get the net legends/loons/gods/etc. to post
in this thread ? Mention their names, maybe ?

> : , , This Spot (Not Allowed) is in no way dedicated
> Andy Wardley : -o o- to anyone called Derek, Dave or Terry, Lemurs,
> a...@oasis.icl.co.uk : l Leader Kibo, Odd Physics, GIFs or eMOTTOicons.
> std dsclmr avlbl : - This line still available - call 0800-SIGRENT.
> Kip Crosby tried to escape but I got him back.

Ahh. you've done it.

David Hall

ungelesen,
24.01.1994, 14:36:1224.01.94
an
a...@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Andy Wardley) writes:

>Jeff Robertson writes:
>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?

Who knows, but I bet the current flame war concerning Vichael on alt.irc
has got to be in the top five. It has been going on for WEEKS and has
easily made up fifty percent of ALL postings to alt.irc in this time.
In fact, I would say closer to 70% but I don't like putting my neck out
and so will only be quoted as saying 50% ;). All told, probably 5 to
7 hundred messages in my estimate....

If my numbers are off, you may sue me for my 80088 w/ hercules graphics
and a 30 Meg hard.

Ernst 'pooh' Mulder

ungelesen,
24.01.1994, 14:44:2724.01.94
an

Andy Wardley writes:
>This one.

If 'longest thread' doesn't necessarily mean 'thread with the highest count
of followups' but 'thread with the longest printout' there's an easy
opening for a new record...

pooh 'sorry, don't blame me!'

John William Chambless

ungelesen,
24.01.1994, 23:22:2424.01.94
an
In article <2i17vc$p...@constellation.ecn.uoknor.edu>,

David Hall <deh...@hellcat.ecn.uoknor.edu> wrote:
>a...@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Andy Wardley) writes:
>
>>Jeff Robertson writes:
>>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?
>
>Who knows, but I bet the current flame war concerning Vichael on alt.irc
>has got to be in the top five. It has been going on for WEEKS and has
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not a record at all.

>easily made up fifty percent of ALL postings to alt.irc in this time.

>In fact, I would say closer to 70% but I don't like putting my neck out
>and so will only be quoted as saying 50% ;). All told, probably 5 to
>7 hundred messages in my estimate....
>
>If my numbers are off, you may sue me for my 80088 w/ hercules graphics

^^^^^^ I want one of THESE!
Let's see...off the top of my head, not looking in the archives...
There's the "how do I remove a file named '-' from comp.unix.wizards...
( at least a year so far..)
The " 'move' is less intuitive than 'copy-and-delete' thread from this
humble newgroup ( 3 or 4 months, and still kicking! Hi, Mike!).
The "Furrymuck is for lameoid perverts" thread that Joel Furr keeps
firing back up on alt.fan.furry...
And let's not forhget the "Imminent Death of the Net" theme, which has echoed
at least since the first FidoNet gateway...(or was it Compu$erve?)

Do the cyclical "september threads" count as continuous?

--
* Billy Chambless University of Southern Mississippi
* "If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge." Henry Spencer

Howard Crosby Warren

ungelesen,
25.01.1994, 03:11:5025.01.94
an
David Hall <deh...@hellcat.ecn.uoknor.edu> wrote:

>a...@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Andy Wardley) writes:
>>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?
>
>Who knows, but I bet the current flame war concerning Vichael on alt.irc
>has got to be in the top five. It has been going on for WEEKS and has
>easily made up fifty percent of ALL postings to alt.irc in this time.

I just ran into a series of 'ritual genital mutilation' posts on
some group (alt.folklore.urban? It's crossposted to a million places
anyway..) -- THAT thread was very strong at least two months ago!

--
Howard Crosby Warren cro...@ren.psy.jhu.edu
Department of Psychology

ae...@minster.york.ac.uk

ungelesen,
25.01.1994, 05:09:4525.01.94
an
In article <CJz8z...@ul.ie>, Liam Relihan <reli...@ul.ie> wrote:

>Tom Salyers writes:
>>Ernst 'pooh' Mulder says:
>>>It does go on, doesn't it?
>>He's makin' it up as he goes along!!! =)
>Goddamit...I'm tired of this thread...its been going on far too long...take it to e-mail.
And the thread grows longer by the day...

Merk

ungelesen,
25.01.1994, 17:39:4125.01.94
an

What about the Gravis Ultrasound vs. every other sound board war over on
alt.ibm.pc.hardware.soundcard (or whatever its name is) ?
It's probably been going on since the GUS was introduced.

merk.

R S Rodgers

ungelesen,
25.01.1994, 18:01:0425.01.94
an
In article <2i26q0$7...@whale.st.usm.edu>,

John William Chambless <cham...@whale.st.usm.edu> wrote:
>>In fact, I would say closer to 70% but I don't like putting my neck out
>>and so will only be quoted as saying 50% ;). All told, probably 5 to
>>7 hundred messages in my estimate....

So are we talking longest lasting, or most posts? My own
creation, "Feminist Stupidity Disorder" has lasted for months
(since August? Maybe September) in the alt.feminism/soc.men/soc.women
groups where it is crossposted. In the beginning it created a
small flood of postngs that made up ~50% of the postings to a.f.
It's even kept on topic, as a matter of fact , so it's not just a
subject title that stuck with postings.

Because of the ease of baiting, though, some groups (like af) ought
to be excluded.

>Do the cyclical "september threads" count as continuous?

How about the ongoing, never ending "Is circumcision bad?"
and "Make money fast!!" threads? Both of those are short in
length, but huge in volume, and constantly recurring.

--
New .signature under development. Start your development now! Beat the crowd!

da...@gilly.cca.org

ungelesen,
25.01.1994, 20:58:5225.01.94
an
cham...@whale.st.usm.edu (John William Chambless) writes:

>Let's see...off the top of my head, not looking in the archives...
>There's the "how do I remove a file named '-' from comp.unix.wizards...
>( at least a year so far..)
>The " 'move' is less intuitive than 'copy-and-delete' thread from this
>humble newgroup ( 3 or 4 months, and still kicking! Hi, Mike!).
>The "Furrymuck is for lameoid perverts" thread that Joel Furr keeps
>firing back up on alt.fan.furry...
>And let's not forhget the "Imminent Death of the Net" theme, which has echoed
>at least since the first FidoNet gateway...(or was it Compu$erve?)

Those are all recurring, not long-running.

>Do the cyclical "september threads" count as continuous?

It's moot now. September 1993 will go down in net.history as the September
that never ended.

-<=>- Dave Fischer -<=>- Help Fight Ambient Light! -<=>- da...@cca.org -<=>-

Andy Wardley

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 06:09:2526.01.94
an
>Liam Relihan wrote:
>>Tom Salyers writes:
>>>Ernst 'pooh' Mulder says:
>>>He's makin' it up as he goes along!!! =)
>>Goddamit...I'm tired of this thread...its been going on far too long...
>>take it to e-mail.
>And the thread grows longer by the day...
How long is a piece of string?

John Todd West

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 08:21:3426.01.94
an
: >>>>>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?

: >>>>>This one.
: >>>>It does go on, doesn't it?
: >>>He's makin' it up as he goes along!!! =)
: >>Goddamit...I'm tired of this thread...its been going on far too long...
: >>take it to e-mail.
: >And the thread grows longer by the day...
: How long is a piece of string?
If this keeps up much longer, it'll start to cascade, and then the string
will be as long as it takes to wrap up at least eight bored users.

Hg

John Todd West

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 08:23:3626.01.94
an
R S Rodgers (rsro...@wam.umd.edu) wrote:
: It's even kept on topic, as a matter of fact , so it's not just a
: subject title that stuck with postings.

Obviously not a real thread then. ;)

Hg

Liam Relihan

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 09:31:5726.01.94
an
Get a life or this stupid thread will outlive you

Liam

Dave Woodman

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 08:35:1526.01.94
an
This long. Why ?
= My e-mail address might be woo...@bnr.ca, but Maidenhead is definitely =
= in Britain... My employer is entitled to disagree with anything but this! =

Matt Simmons

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 12:43:3526.01.94
an
Merk (me...@sage.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:
: What about the Gravis Ultrasound vs. every other sound board war over on

: alt.ibm.pc.hardware.soundcard (or whatever its name is) ?
: It's probably been going on since the GUS was introduced.
What about c.s.a.a? =) (The whole thing)

zar...@cs1.bradley.edu Illinois has two seasons: Winter and Construction
___________ _______________________________________^___ Headlights?
___ ___ ||| ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ | __ ,----\ Credit Card?
|___| |___|||| |___| |___| |___| | O | O | | | | \ want to
___________|||______________________________|______________/ those?
||| WDW Monorail Driver Wannabe /------------------
-----------'''---------------------------------------' CJE--WDW in '95

Sri Palindrome.151

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 11:28:4726.01.94
an
John Todd West (todd...@raptor.sccs.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
: : >>>>>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?
How long is too long, though?

Ernst 'pooh' Mulder

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 02:44:2726.01.94

deh...@hellcat.ecn.uoknor.edu (David Hall) writes:

>><forgot-who> wrote:
>>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?
>
>Who knows, but I bet the current flame war concerning Vichael on alt.irc
>has got to be in the top five. It has been going on for WEEKS and has

WEEKS? This group currently has threads ('Ignorant user stories' for one)
that were also running a couple of years or so ago, when I first started to
read this group.

pooh

Raymond Chen

ungelesen,
25.01.1994, 23:37:0125.01.94
an
In article <16F431125...@ua1vm.ua.edu> JROB...@ua1vm.ua.edu (Jeff Robertson) writes:
>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?

I believe the winner is ``MAKE.MONEY.FAST''.

Andy Wardley

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 13:02:4326.01.94
an
>::>>>>>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?

>::>>>>>This one.
>::>>>>It does go on, doesn't it?
>::>>>He's makin' it up as he goes along!!! =)
>::>>Goddamit...I'm tired of this thread...its been going on far too long...
>::>>take it to e-mail.
>::>And the thread grows longer by the day...
>:: How long is a piece of string?
>:If this keeps up much longer, it'll start to cascade, and then the string
>:will be as long as it takes to wrap up at least eight bored users.
>How long is too long, though?
Eight characters, if you ignore the terminating NULL.

Ernst 'pooh' Mulder

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 14:58:5526.01.94
an

Liam Relihan wrote:
>Andy Wardley wrote:

>>ae...@minster.york.ac.uk wrote:
>>>And the thread grows longer by the day...
>>How long is a piece of string?
>Get a life or this stupid thread will outlive you
Super water absorbant thread bits? Anyone?

pooh 'knowingly posting to surely the silliest thread in the history of
USENET, oh what is the longest descriptive middle name ever encoutered on
USENET?'

Buddha Buck

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 17:54:0526.01.94
an
In article <2i48bg$q...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>,

R S Rodgers <rsro...@wam.umd.edu> wrote:
>In article <2i26q0$7...@whale.st.usm.edu>,
>John William Chambless <cham...@whale.st.usm.edu> wrote:
>>>In fact, I would say closer to 70% but I don't like putting my neck out
>>>and so will only be quoted as saying 50% ;). All told, probably 5 to
>>>7 hundred messages in my estimate....
>

> So are we talking longest lasting, or most posts? My own
> creation, "Feminist Stupidity Disorder" has lasted for months
> (since August? Maybe September) in the alt.feminism/soc.men/soc.women
> groups where it is crossposted. In the beginning it created a
> small flood of postngs that made up ~50% of the postings to a.f.
> It's even kept on topic, as a matter of fact , so it's not just a
> subject title that stuck with postings.

I don't think that it matters if the subject title changes, since for
instance this thread has already changed subject title, but is still
the same thread. It's even changed topic (now we're discussing what
makes a long thread, not what is the longest thread).

I think it should count if it is a THREAD, not separate postings on the
same topic. This means that Make.Money.Fast wouldn't count, since it
usually isn't threaded (each initial posting counts as a new thread).

> Because of the ease of baiting, though, some groups (like af) ought
> to be excluded.

Nah, they are Usenet too (well, Altnet...).

>>Do the cyclical "september threads" count as continuous?

I wouldn't count them, unless they truely are continuous... Can you
trace one back to an earlier, or is it simply a new freshman starting
a new thread on the same topic?

> How about the ongoing, never ending "Is circumcision bad?"
> and "Make money fast!!" threads? Both of those are short in
> length, but huge in volume, and constantly recurring.

As above, I wouldn't count it...

David DeLaney

ungelesen,
26.01.1994, 23:32:2226.01.94
an
raym...@microsoft.com (Raymond Chen) writes:
>JROB...@ua1vm.ua.edu (Jeff Robertson) writes:
>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?
>
>I believe the winner is ``MAKE.MONEY.FAST''.

*Now* you've done it. It just showed up again (after extended absence from
any of the groups I read) on news.groups ...

Dave "stupid net tricks" DeLaney
--
David DeLaney: d...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu; ObQuote: `I suggest quoting 'J"K"P' and
'J"RR"P' both. --K' Disclaimer: Opinions? UTK?? Me??? BWAAAAHahahahaa <choke>

Jeremy Reimer

ungelesen,
27.01.1994, 19:14:3227.01.94
an
In <94012608...@brokendrum.stack.urc.tue.nl> Ernst 'pooh' Mulder <po...@brokendrum.stack.urc.tue.nl> writes:
>In article <2i17vc$p...@constellation.ecn.uoknor.edu>,
>deh...@hellcat.ecn.uoknor.edu (David Hall) writes:
>>
>>Who knows, but I bet the current flame war concerning Vichael on alt.irc
>>has got to be in the top five. It has been going on for WEEKS and has

>WEEKS? This group currently has threads ('Ignorant user stories' for one)
>that were also running a couple of years or so ago, when I first started to
>read this group.

Don't forget YNYBHTLW...

That thread has been going on for so long that people have been archiving
it for posterity.

--

Jeremy "OS/2ibo" Reimer
Founder and President, World Domination Inc.

"Why do you want to go read news?"
"I want to see the frontier. Before it's gone."
- Kevin Costner, _Dances With Usenet_

Tom Watson

ungelesen,
28.01.1994, 20:46:3328.01.94
an
Am I missing something, or isn't Usenet the longest Usenet thread ever.
Still going after all this time. Its all the same subject, just the text
is changed from time to time, and flames repeated time and time
again.......
------
Tom Watson Not much simpler!!
t...@cypher.apple.com

Friedrich Fahnert

ungelesen,
28.01.1994, 10:55:4828.01.94
an
In article <94012620...@brokendrum.stack.urc.tue.nl>,

Ernst 'pooh' Mulder <po...@stack.urc.tue.nl> wrote:

>Liam Relihan wrote:
>>Andy Wardley wrote:
>long...
>>>How long is a piece of string?
>>Get a life or this stupid thread will outlive you
>Super water absorbant thread bits? Anyone?
I like long threads, please don't let this one die...

Peter Knoerrich

ungelesen,
28.01.1994, 11:16:0928.01.94
an
fwfa...@w214zrz.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE (Friedrich Fahnert) writes:

We'll please everyone and make this a recursive thread (see Jeff Robertson).
---
NetHack: "Your sacrifice sprouts wings and a propeller and roars away."
Peter Knoerrich, email: prkn...@cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

Feldman / Mark Jeffrey (ISE)

ungelesen,
29.01.1994, 01:55:4329.01.94
an

This line of reply is one post longer than the other one, as seeing as I
would *love* to be part in the creation of the worlds longest thread I'll
place my bet by posting here.

Kip Crosby

ungelesen,
29.01.1994, 11:18:3529.01.94
an

In article <2ibdo...@uni-erlangen.de>, Peter Knoerrich (prkn...@cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de) writes:
>fwfa...@w214zrz.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE (Friedrich Fahnert) writes:
>>In article <94012620...@brokendrum.stack.urc.tue.nl>,
>>Ernst 'pooh' Mulder <po...@stack.urc.tue.nl> wrote:
>>>Super water absorbant thread bits? Anyone?
>>I like long threads, please don't let this one die...
>We'll please everyone and make this a recursive thread (see Jeff Robertson).
Oh, _no!!_ It split!

Kip Crosby

ungelesen,
29.01.1994, 11:17:3329.01.94
an
Oh, okay, just my 0.02 to prove my newsreader works.

Daniel King

ungelesen,
28.01.1994, 15:42:4328.01.94
an
todd...@raptor.sccs.swarthmore.edu (John Todd West) writes:

>:>>>>>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?

By longest, do you mean #replies or time it stuck around, like
the recurring MAKE MONEY FAST nightmares on misc.forsale...

Robert M. Zigweid

ungelesen,
29.01.1994, 16:32:2929.01.94
an
fwfa...@w214zrz.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE (Friedrich Fahnert) writes:

You call this long?

David K. Bryant

ungelesen,
30.01.1994, 02:34:4530.01.94
an
fwfa...@w214zrz.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE (Friedrich Fahnert) writes:

sync sync sync - time for a sanity check

Jeff Robertson

ungelesen,
30.01.1994, 02:58:0130.01.94

prkn...@cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Peter Knoerrich) writes:

>fwfa...@w214zrz.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE (Friedrich Fahnert) writes:
>
>>In article <94012620...@brokendrum.stack.urc.tue.nl>,
>>Ernst 'pooh' Mulder <po...@stack.urc.tue.nl> wrote:
>>>Super water absorbant thread bits? Anyone?
>>I like long threads, please don't let this one die...
>We'll please everyone and make this a recursive thread (see Jeff Robertson).
You mean Jeff "longest USENET thread ever" Robertson

Dave Holland

ungelesen,
30.01.1994, 09:33:3930.01.94
an
If this thread carries on, it'll be long enought to darn my socks with...

Dave
--
[] Dave 'clocking in time' Holland []
[] Engineering Department, Cambridge University, UK []

Buddha Buck

ungelesen,
30.01.1994, 18:18:2630.01.94
an
David K. Bryant wrote:
>Friedrich Fahnert writes:

>>Ernst 'pooh' Mulder wrote:
>>>Super water absorbant thread bits? Anyone?
>>I like long threads, please don't let this one die...
>sync sync sync - time for a sanity check
Can someone just hack the references line to make this a circular thread?

Liz Wilding-White

ungelesen,
30.01.1994, 22:48:1130.01.94
an

--
Elizabeth Wilding -White ~ Lizzie Bordon took an axe,
ewil...@falcon.depaul.edu ~ And plunged it deep into the VAX.

Wilbur Kuo

ungelesen,
31.01.1994, 14:17:5931.01.94
an
In article <gunnarh.15...@dhhalden.no> gun...@dhhalden.no (WonderBoy) writes:
>Hmm.. This probably wouldn't count as a thread, but MAKE.MONEY.FAST has to
>be the most annoying thing ever.

Well, for annoyances localized to one group, I nominate "How to get the
Mortimer story" thread on alt.tv.tiny-toon? The poster, John Palmer, decided
one day to post that article every 5 *seconds* to the newsgroup... A friend
of mine logged in one day and had to kill over *1000* copies of that article.

As for widest distribution, I'd nominate the recent "Jesus is coming"
thread...

--
Wilbur Kuo | kuo...@sunset.bph.jhu.edu | "I only say what it
"It's good to be the root" | ro...@sunset.bph.jhu.edu | occurs to me to say.
| kuo...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu | More I cannot say."
GS/CS/MU -d+@ p c++(++++) !l() u+(++) e+ m++ s n-(---) h f+ g+ w- t+() r- !y

David Doak

ungelesen,
31.01.1994, 15:00:2831.01.94
an

Andy Wardley writes:
|> Jeff Robertson writes:

|> >You mean Jeff "longest USENET thread ever" Robertson
|>
|> If one examines the nature of a "thread",
<stuff deleted>, sorry had to happen.
|> re-formatting.
-it just grew

David Doak CANCER: You will submit your thesis
do...@bioch.ox.ac.uk soon and get a real life.

DoN. Nichols

ungelesen,
30.01.1994, 21:20:4530.01.94
an
Dick De(s)pew did better than this single-handed.

--
Email: <dnic...@d-and-d.com> | ...!uunet!ceilidh!dnichols
<dnic...@ceilidh.beartrack.com>

Tom 'moof' Spindler

ungelesen,
31.01.1994, 19:12:0131.01.94
an
Andy Wardley <a...@dsbc.icl.co.uk> wrote:
>Jeff Robertson writes:
>>Peter Knoerrich writes:
>>>We'll please everyone and make this a recursive thread (see Jeff Robertson).
>>You mean Jeff "longest USENET thread ever" Robertson
>Andy "Drop Dead Thread" Wardley
No, _more_ thread, Ned!

WonderBoy

ungelesen,
31.01.1994, 07:57:2931.01.94
an

Hmm.. This probably wouldn't count as a thread, but MAKE.MONEY.FAST has to
be the most annoying thing ever.

gun...@dhhalden.no

-=::Peel a man that looks like an onion,
and I'll show you a man that looks like a peeled onion.

Spelling errors and bad grammar are centered intentionally.

Andy Wardley

ungelesen,
31.01.1994, 09:08:4031.01.94
an
Jeff Robertson writes:
>Peter Knoerrich writes:
>>Friedrich Fahnert writes:
>>>I like long threads, please don't let this one die...
>>We'll please everyone and make this a recursive thread (see Jeff Robertson).
>You mean Jeff "longest USENET thread ever" Robertson

If one examines the nature of a "thread",
one sees that its constituent parts are
merely loosely related replies, and replies
to replies, to some initial question or
statement. In this case, the question was
posed by Jeff Robertson and was, the now
immortalised, "What's the longest thread in
the history of USENET?" One could argue,
if one was inclined to do so, that this
in itself was not the start of the thread
but was merely the question that prompted
the cascaded responses.

One could further demonstrate that if no-one
had bothered to respond to this question,
the single post would not have constituted
a thread and would have faded away into the
infinite obscurity of folklore anonymity.

This was not the case.

Extending this point further, it can be
argued that the point at which the thread
came into existence was when the first reply
was posted. This was the now equally
infamous "This one" reply by Andy Wardley
who demonstrated his characteristically
impressive insight and renowned sense of
humour in doing so. But then I would say
that because I am he.

What's more, is that this post has only
been generated in order to further extend
the lifetime (and size) of the thread to
greater increase its chance of being
remembered forever more as the "thread to
end all threads" and thus immortalise
both Jeff and myself. I have even been
thoughtful enough to keep the line length
short so that a great deal more follow-ups
can be posted before this text begins to
word-wrap and require some serious
re-formatting.

Andy "Drop Dead Thread" Wardley

: , , This Spot (Not Allowed) is in no way dedicated
Andy Wardley : -o o- to anyone called Derek, Dave or Terry, Lemurs,
a...@oasis.icl.co.uk : l Leader K*bo, Odd Physics, GIFs or eMOTTOicons.
std dsclmr avlbl : - This line still available - call 0800-SIGRENT.

Peter

ungelesen,
01.02.1994, 02:32:5701.02.94
an
fwfa...@w214zrz.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE (Friedrich Fahnert) writes:
: In article <94012620...@brokendrum.stack.urc.tue.nl>,
OK

:
:

Andrew Bulhak

ungelesen,
01.02.1994, 10:19:0201.02.94
an

To witness a very good contender for the longest thread:

1) Choose two of { Windows/NT, OS/2, Linux }

2) Assert that one is unquestionably superior to the other, and that
anybody who thinks otherwise has rocks in their head.

3) Crosspost to half a dozen newsgroups, including at least one
comp.os.*.advocacy group, alt.folklore.computers, alt.religion.kibology
(for good measure) and alt.fan.mike-dahmus, where all threads mentioning
OS/2 belong, and if they don't mention it, they will.

4) Don asbestos longjohns and observe. If you are lucky, you may get
followups in the hundreds, including several ideological ping-pong matches,
considerable name-calling, dazzlingly witty retorts such as "bite me",
and perhaps even the odd cascade or two.

Note that you do not have to follow these instructions to witness the
result; these threads will form spontaneously given time.

--
Andrew Bulhak a...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
Element: #121 (decimaalnummersysteemium)

Dave Schaumann

ungelesen,
01.02.1994, 18:30:1601.02.94
an
In article <2ilrt6$p...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au>,

Andrew Bulhak <a...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>4) Don asbestos longjohns and observe. If you are lucky, you may get
>followups in the hundreds, including several ideological ping-pong matches,
>considerable name-calling, dazzlingly witty retorts such as "bite me",
>and perhaps even the odd cascade or two.

This suggests an interesting metaphor: posting flame-bait is like
shooting high-energy particles into a cloud chamber, creating hundreds
of new particles in the process, all flying off in their own direction.
Results are generally predictable, and to get something new, you have to
try higher and higher energy insertions.

Personally, I think someone definitely needs to find out if delphi is
running a giant bogon accelerator. It would certainly go a long way

Joseph W. Vigneau

ungelesen,
01.02.1994, 23:16:4901.02.94
an
Of course it does! Don't feel like a jerk.

--
Joseph W. Vigneau <jo...@wpi.edu> -- WPI Computer Science Linux!
Your lucky color has faded.

Vincent Partington

ungelesen,
02.02.1994, 04:20:3102.02.94
an
t...@cypher.apple.com (Tom Watson) writes:

>Am I missing something, or isn't Usenet the longest Usenet thread ever.
>Still going after all this time. Its all the same subject, just the text
>is changed from time to time, and flames repeated time and time
>again.......

Hmm, this message just gave me an interesting idea;
Why not add an extra field to the header? We could that "Real-Subject:" and that
would contain the actual subject of the message. If we did that we could
use the "Subject:"-field for our purposes (namely, to make the longest thread
ever) be always setting that to "longest USENET thread ever", thereby
making one long thread.
We would have to change the news-readers to show us the Real-Subject but it
shouldn't throw away the Subject-field because that would be cheating. :)
Someone here also pointed out that we have a problem with the References-field
getting rather long, but we could always install the references on one ftp-site
and have new references added by the news-readers when someone posts something.

Unfortunately, I have very little time to actually implement this but anyone
can feel free to copy my idea and use it.

Vincent.
--
BLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLA Internet : part...@fwi.uva.nl
BLABLA 68040 Power! ABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLA vin...@tnc.nl

Vincent Partington

ungelesen,
02.02.1994, 04:23:5402.02.94
an
93d...@eng.cam.ac.uk (Dave Holland) writes:

How can we get out?

Euh, I'm sorry, but I have to repeat that sentence twenty times because our
local dumb-ass nntp-server bounced my previous posting with this message:
--->
Article not posted -- more included text than new text/usr/local/etc/inews faile
--->

How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?
How can we get out?

Chip Gore

ungelesen,
02.02.1994, 08:59:0702.02.94
an Feldman / Mark Jeffrey (ISE)

|>: >>>>>>What's the longest thread in the history of USENET ?

|>: >>>>>This one.
|>: >>>>It does go on, doesn't it?
|>: >>>He's makin' it up as he goes along!!! =)
|>: >>Goddamit...I'm tired of this thread...its been going on far too long...
|>: >>take it to e-mail.
|>: >And the thread grows longer by the day...
|>: How long is a piece of string?
|>If this keeps up much longer, it'll start to cascade, and then the string
|>will be as long as it takes to wrap up at least eight bored users.
|This line of reply is one post longer than the other one, as seeing as I
|would *love* to be part in the creation of the worlds longest thread I'll
|place my bet by posting here.

And That was the best you could do?

David DeLaney

ungelesen,
08.02.1994, 18:11:1208.02.94
an
regn...@imladris.frmug.fr.net (Philippe Regnauld) writes:
>deh...@hellcat.ecn.uoknor.edu (David Hall) writes:
>
>>a...@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Andy Wardley) writes:

>>Who knows, but I bet the current flame war concerning Vichael on alt.irc
>>has got to be in the top five. It has been going on for WEEKS and has
>
> What about Jordan in rec.arts.sf.written ?
> Loooooooong *AND* boring.

Only for those who haven't read the books.

Dave "walls of books" DeLaney
--
David DeLaney: d...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu; ObQuote: `VISUALIZE BLONDE MELINDA' - T.
Pierce... Disclaimer: Opinions? UTK?? Me??? BWAAAAHahahahaa <choke> <snort> hee

Feldman / Mark Jeffrey (ISE)

ungelesen,
08.02.1994, 19:01:5508.02.94
an
alain....@astro.estec.esa.nl writes:
>Gosh, don't you think this makes a pretty pattern?
Sure! But watch as the cascade gets longer or someone types in 2 lines!

Mark

Travis Corcoran

ungelesen,
09.02.1994, 13:00:5009.02.94
an

In article <2j65qo$m...@imladris.frmug.fr.net> regn...@imladris.frmug.fr.net (Philippe Regnauld) writes:

> deh...@hellcat.ecn.uoknor.edu (David Hall) writes:

> >a...@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Andy Wardley) writes:

> >Who knows, but I bet the current flame war concerning Vichael on alt.irc
> >has got to be in the top five. It has been going on for WEEKS and has
>
> What about Jordan in rec.arts.sf.written ?
>
> Loooooooong *AND* boring.

I put [Jj]ordan in my kill file, and was happy for a while. Until I
saw how long the killing took. Then I proposed r.a.sf.w.j for my own
selfish reasons. It hasn't taken off.

--
__
TJIC (Travis J.I. Corcoran) TJ...@icd.teradyne.com

"Buy a rifle, encrypt your data, and wait for the Revolution!"

ae...@minster.york.ac.uk

ungelesen,
11.02.1994, 14:30:2711.02.94
an
In article <1994Feb9.0...@csc.canberra.edu.au>,
I am making the cascade longer.
And I am typing in two lines.

TJJT

ungelesen,
12.02.1994, 20:07:0012.02.94
an
In article <7609950...@minster.york.ac.uk>
ae...@minster.york.ac.uk writes:

What can I add to this wonderful thread? (Besides another line)

o'donnell lisa lynn

ungelesen,
13.02.1994, 00:21:1213.02.94
an
TJJT wrote:
: ae...@minster.york.ac.uk writes:

: > Feldman / Mark Jeffrey (ISE) wrote:
: > >alain....@astro.estec.esa.nl writes:
: > >>> Kip Crosby writes:
: > >>>> Friedrich Fahnert writes:
Your heart. Your soul. Your strength. And a tin of spork.

Lisa O'Donnell (a werewolf) | "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
odon...@ac.wfunet.wfu.edu | "I think so, Brain, but burlap chafes me so."

Kip Crosby

ungelesen,
13.02.1994, 12:10:2513.02.94