Q1/Lite: looking for manuals/schematics etc

Roland Langfeld

Jun 3, 2022, 10:32:45 AMJun 3
Most recently I got a Q1/Lite desktop computer (1979, Z80 CPU, 48 k RAM). The computer turns on and displays "Q1/Lite at Your Service". Unfortunately it does not react to any keyboard input.

Does anyone have documentation/schematics/manuals for this type of computer ?

Roland technikum29

Dennis Boone

Jun 3, 2022, 12:09:31 PMJun 3
You've probably found this already, but there are clearly a number of
former Q1 employees still around:

https://www.old-computers.com/museum/forum.asp?c=1286&st=1

Perhaps you can find a way to contact some of them. Sadly, all
Bitsavers seems to have is a product glossy.

De

Roland Langfeld

Jun 3, 2022, 12:56:49 PMJun 3
thankyou ! I just posted a request for information in that forum. And yes, the product glossy at bitsavers I found already,

Roland

D.J.

Jun 3, 2022, 1:14:13 PMJun 3
There are folks on youtube that restore old computers.

I don't know if he has anything on the Q1, but he does have videos for
the Altair 8800 and several Z80 computers. Along with a television
typewriter.

Tech Time Traveller is the name of the channel.
--
Jim

Robin Vowels

Jun 4, 2022, 12:59:19 AMJun 4
On Saturday, June 4, 2022 at 12:32:45 AM UTC+10, rolandl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Most recently I got a Q1/Lite desktop computer (1979, Z80 CPU, 48 k RAM). The computer turns on and displays "Q1/Lite at Your Service". Unfortunately it does not react to any keyboard input.
>
> Does anyone have documentation/schematics/manuals for this type of computer ?
.
I have copies of "Q1/LMC Systems Software Manual" and "Advanced PL/I Programmers Manual".

Roland Langfeld

Jun 4, 2022, 12:25:57 PMJun 4
Dear Robin,

we (www.technikum29.de) are interested in all kind of documentation for this systen ! If it is in digital form pls. send it to my e-mail ! Thankyou so much !

Roland

Quadibloc

Jun 12, 2022, 7:31:35 AMJun 12
I had never heard of the Q1, but in searching old Datamation magazines for something else, I happened to run
across a new products announcement for it. Apparently the original Q1 was one of the very first microcomputers,
which looked a lot like a typewriter, and which was made at such an early date that it must have been built
around an 8008.

So your Z80-based Q1/Lite is a later version!

John Savard

Roland Langfeld

Jun 12, 2022, 7:57:42 AMJun 12
Dear John,

you are correct, our Q1 is Z80-based and dated around 1979. And yes, Q1 Corp was one of the first companies to build microprocessor-based desptops, starting with 8008, going to 8080 and finally Z80.

Roland

Quadibloc

Jun 12, 2022, 8:42:42 AMJun 12
On Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 5:57:42 AM UTC-6, rolandl...@gmail.com wrote:

> you are correct, our Q1 is Z80-based and dated around 1979. And yes, Q1 Corp was one of the first companies to build microprocessor-based desptops, starting with 8008, going to 8080 and finally Z80.

I found the new products announcement, in the February 1973 issue of Datamation. Apparently
their first delivery was in December 1972, according to Old-computers.com. Their typewriter-like
unit, with a single-line display, was oriented to things like order entry, not general-purpose
computing, but it is claimed to be the first self-contained microcomputer.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jun 12, 2022, 8:56:06 AMJun 12
A sales brochure won't be much help, but I see that the Q1 sales brochure at Bitsavers, which is all
they have on the Q1, is actually for the Q1/Lite.

John Savard

Robin Vowels

Jun 13, 2022, 12:31:07 PMJun 13

Robin Vowels

Jun 13, 2022, 12:33:51 PMJun 13
On Sunday, June 5, 2022 at 2:25:57 AM UTC+10, rolandl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Robin,
>
> we (www.technikum29.de) are interested in all kind of documentation for this systen ! If it is in digital form pls. send it to my e-mail ! Thankyou so much !

The manuals are not digitised. It would take some time to do that.

What is your email address?

Roland Langfeld

Jun 13, 2022, 12:53:42 PMJun 13
Dear Robin,

thankyou very much for your help !

You can send the scans either to my private address rolandlangfeld(at)gmail.com or directly to our mueseum's address: kontakt(at)technikum29.de
If possible any kind of schematics are of most importance, followed by descriptions how to start/use the system.

Roland