Filesystem vs file system

Barry Margolin

Apr 23, 1992, 5:32:24 PM4/23/92

Terminology question: are the Unix units of file storage called
"filesystems" (one word) or "file systems" (two words)? Neither is in
TNHD.
--
Barry Margolin
System Manager, Thinking Machines Corp.

bar...@think.com {uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

Kartik Subbarao

Apr 23, 1992, 7:51:15 PM4/23/92
In article <kveb78...@early-bird.think.com> bar...@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:

>Terminology question: are the Unix units of file storage called
>"filesystems" (one word) or "file systems" (two words)? Neither is in
>TNHD.

Who cares? Do you "login" or do you "log in"? Does it matter?

-Kartik

The Jester

Apr 24, 1992, 12:40:09 AM4/24/92

Or logon or log on for that matter

--
\ / / / / /\ | Unexpected program termination has one saving grace -
\\/ \/\ /\ \/ \/_ | you can usually guess how much data may have been lost.

Jay Ashworth

Apr 24, 1992, 2:09:00 PM4/24/92
Barry Margolin, to All on Friday April 24 1992:

BM> Terminology question: are the Unix units of file storage called
BM> "filesystems" (one word) or "file systems" (two words)? Neither is in
BM> TNHD.

To the best of my knowledge, Barry, from 9 years at this...

The jargon term for what you boot from, or mount, on a unix system is, from the preponderance of the references I've seen, is "filesystem" (no space).

Cheers,
-- jra
Jay R. Ashworth jra%ac...@tct.com
Ashworth & Associates Jay_Ashworth@{psycho.fidonet.org,
An Interdisciplinary Consultancy f160.n3603.z1.fidonet.org}
in Advanced Technology +1_813_449_UNIX@Long_Lines.com

--
Internet: Jay.As...@f160.n3603.z1.FIDONET.ORG
UUCP: ...!uunet!myrddin!tct!psycho!160!Jay.Ashworth

Charlie Gibbs

Apr 24, 1992, 4:13:12 PM4/24/92
In article <1992Apr24.0...@cs.uow.edu.au> g880...@cs.uow.edu.au
(The Jester) writes:

>subb...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
>
>>In article <kveb78...@early-bird.think.com> bar...@think.com (Barry
>Margolin) writes:
>>>

>>>Terminology question: are the Unix units of file storage called

>>>"filesystems" (one word) or "file systems" (two words)? Neither is in

>>>TNHD.
>
>>Who cares? Do you "login" or do you "log in"? Does it matter?
>Or logon or log on for that matter

My rule of thumb is to write it as one word if it's being used
as a noun, and two words if a verb (phrase). Thus I "log in", while
the act of doing so is a "login".

Over the past few years I've noticed that people are running
words together more and more. I find this silly, irritating, or
misleading, depending on the state of my liver. Maybe it's due to
influence from the German language, where it is standard to string
words together to produce some truly incredible compound words.

Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca
I'm trying to develop a photographic memory.

Jay Ashworth

Apr 25, 1992, 2:15:00 AM4/25/92
Kartik Subbarao, to All on Friday April 24 1992:

KS> In article <kveb78...@early-bird.think.com> bar...@think.com (Barry

KS> Margolin) writes:
>> Terminology question: are the Unix units of file storage called
>> "filesystems" (one word) or "file systems" (two words)? Neither is in
>> TNHD.

KS> Who cares? Do you "login" or do you "log in"? Does it matter?

Yes, Dammit!

GRAMMAR_SOAPBOX=ON; export GRAMMAR_SOAPBOX

'login' is a noun, used to refer to a prompt, or an occurance of a getty on a
terminal/port.

'log in' is a verb phrase, use to describe what you do when confronted by a
'login'.

They are _not_ interchangable.

Since the other two are, to some extent at least, the analogy doesn't hold.

GRAMMAR_SOAPBOX=OFF

Doug McNaught

Apr 25, 1992, 2:44:46 AM4/25/92

In article <kveb78...@early-bird.think.com> bar...@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:

Terminology question: are the Unix units of file storage called
"filesystems" (one word) or "file systems" (two words)? Neither is in
TNHD.

My $0.02: filesystem. In my brain at least, it's one concept ==> one word.

--
Barry Margolin
System Manager, Thinking Machines Corp.

bar...@think.com {uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

regards,
doug
--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>Go Orioles<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<> Doug McNaught do...@cns.caltech.edu <>

Lupe Christoph

Apr 25, 1992, 3:10:09 AM4/25/92
Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) writes:

> Over the past few years I've noticed that people are running
>words together more and more. I find this silly, irritating, or
>misleading, depending on the state of my liver. Maybe it's due to
>influence from the German language, where it is standard to string
>words together to produce some truly incredible compound words.

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen. This is the standard
"longest word ever used" in German. I don't believe it was really
used, but who knows? It's old, and it's from Austria...

You want to know what it *means*? "Captain at the Danube Steam
Boat Corporation".
--
| ...!unido!ukw!lupe (German EUNet, "bang") | Disclaimer: |
| lu...@ukw.UUCP (German EUNet, domain) | As I am self-employed, |

Arlie Davis

Apr 25, 1992, 1:38:51 PM4/25/92
In <11...@mindlink.bc.ca> Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) writes:

> My rule of thumb is to write it as one word if it's being used

> as a noun, and two words if a verb (phrase). Thus I "log in", while
> the act of doing so is a "login".

So, to answer Barry's question, "filesystem", since we file system something,
right?
--
______________
u.signature...

Scott Bronson

Apr 26, 1992, 12:41:04 AM4/26/92

Yes. At least in the common vocabulary around here:

my login is scott (@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu)
my log in today was around 2:45 and will end around 10:00 (hopefully).

In other words, you log in with your login and password.

- Scott

Steve Davis

Apr 26, 1992, 1:39:31 AM4/26/92
Jay.As...@f160.n3603.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jay Ashworth) writes:

>Barry Margolin, to All on Friday April 24 1992:

> BM> Terminology question: are the Unix units of file storage called
> BM> "filesystems" (one word) or "file systems" (two words)? Neither is in
> BM> TNHD.

>To the best of my knowledge, Barry, from 9 years at this...

>The jargon term for what you boot from, or mount, on a unix system is, from the preponderance of the references I've seen, is "filesystem" (no space).

Eh. Excuse me to butt in here with a little bit of >EVIDENCE<.
All you people have to do is RTFM. Look at this:

%man -k \(2\) | grep file | grep system
getdents (2) - gets directory entries in a filesystem independent format
getdirentries (2) - gets directory entries in a filesystem independent format
statfs, fstatfs (2) - get file system statistics
ustat (2) - get file system statistics
%

Try this with '\(8\)' for even more confusement. In short, use
whatever feels better to your fingers while you type it.

Stratocaster
--
Steve Davis | Contact me at ... | The Boarding House BBS!
| Internet: st...@cis.ksu.edu | 9600 baud (v.32/v.42)
| FidoNet: Steve @ 1:295/3 | America: 913-827-0744
********** Have you hugged your Amiga today? **********

Jeffrey T. Hutzelman

Apr 26, 1992, 2:04:38 AM4/26/92
Hmmm... It seems that the consensus is that "log in" is a verb phrase
and "login" is a noun. However, we don't seem to agree on exactly what
"login" MEANS...

-- Jeffrey Hutzelman
jh...@andrew.cmu.edu, jh...@drycas.BITNET, or JeffreyH11 on America Online

Mr. John T Jensen

Apr 26, 1992, 5:11:55 PM4/26/92
lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:

>Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) writes:

>Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen. This is the standard
>"longest word ever used" in German. I don't believe it was really
>used, but who knows? It's old, and it's from Austria...

>You want to know what it *means*? "Captain at the Danube Steam
>Boat Corporation".
>--

Should that be 'Captain at the Danube Steam Boat Transportation Corporation'?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Doesn't -fahrts- mean 'travel' or 'transportation' or something like that?

jj

John Thayer Jensen 64 9 373 7599 ext. 7543
Commerce Computer Services 64 9 373 7437 (FAX)
Auckland University jt.j...@aukuni.ac.nz
Private Bag 92019
AUCKLAND
New Zealand

Lupe Christoph

Apr 27, 1992, 3:33:13 AM4/27/92
st...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Steve Davis) writes:

>Jay.As...@f160.n3603.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jay Ashworth) writes:

>>Barry Margolin, to All on Friday April 24 1992:

>> BM> Terminology question: are the Unix units of file storage called
>> BM> "filesystems" (one word) or "file systems" (two words)? Neither is in
>> BM> TNHD.

>>To the best of my knowledge, Barry, from 9 years at this...

>>The jargon term for what you boot from, or mount, on a unix system is, from the preponderance of the references I've seen, is "filesystem" (no space).

>Eh. Excuse me to butt in here with a little bit of >EVIDENCE<.
>All you people have to do is RTFM. Look at this:

>%man -k \(2\) | grep file | grep system
>getdents (2) - gets directory entries in a filesystem independent format
>getdirentries (2) - gets directory entries in a filesystem independent format
>statfs, fstatfs (2) - get file system statistics
>ustat (2) - get file system statistics
>%

>Try this with '\(8\)' for even more confusement. In short, use
>whatever feels better to your fingers while you type it.

It just did a bit of research (this is SunOS 4.1.2):

grep 'file system' /usr/man/man*/* > 'file system'
grep 'filesystem' /usr/man/man*/* > 'filesystem'

wc -l file*
909 file system
207 filesystem
1116 total

This is 81% for "file system", 19% for "filesystem".

What does *your* vendor say?

Martin Schweikert

Apr 27, 1992, 5:16:59 AM4/27/92
Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) writes:

> Over the past few years I've noticed that people are running
>words together more and more. I find this silly, irritating, or
>misleading, depending on the state of my liver. Maybe it's due to
>influence from the German language, where it is standard to string
>words together to produce some truly incredible compound words.

Reminds me of an advertisement for a dictionary German/English where
they said it was "for those 10$ German words"! :-)

Martin
--
M. Schweikert-Oberhausen/Germany...@cpp.ob.open.de / My life is based on
<>< Life-Net: martin_s...@credo.zer (Joh3:16) / two things: Belief in

Lupe Christoph

Apr 27, 1992, 1:30:21 PM4/27/92
com...@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Mr. John T Jensen) writes:

>lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:

>>Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) writes:

>>Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen. This is the standard
>>"longest word ever used" in German. I don't believe it was really
>>used, but who knows? It's old, and it's from Austria...

>>You want to know what it *means*? "Captain at the Danube Steam
>>Boat Corporation".
>>--
>Should that be 'Captain at the Danube Steam Boat Transportation Corporation'?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Doesn't -fahrts- mean 'travel' or 'transportation' or something like that?

You're right. That's the trouble with long words, you easily overlook
something :-)

Chris Flatters,208,7209,homephone

Apr 27, 1992, 4:42:45 PM4/27/92

Better than allowing vendors to set terminology standards: check what POSIX
standard uses. IEEE 1003.1 sanctifies the term "file system", with a space.

Chris Flatters
cfla...@nrao.edu

Charlie Gibbs

Apr 27, 1992, 8:31:50 PM4/27/92
In article <aldavi01....@starbase.spd.louisville.edu>
alda...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu (Arlie Davis) writes:

>> My rule of thumb is to write it as one word if it's being used
>> as a noun, and two words if a verb (phrase). Thus I "log in", while
>> the act of doing so is a "login".
>
>So, to answer Barry's question, "filesystem", since we file system something,
>right?

Argh. Why do I find myself wanting to call it a "file system"?
Probably because I look upon it as a system of files. For that matter,
why do we not run every adjective into the noun it modifies? Sigh...

Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!" -- Night Court

John Benfield

Apr 27, 1992, 9:15:59 PM4/27/92
In article <tdfmj...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu>, st...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Steve Davis) writes:
>Jay.As...@f160.n3603.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jay Ashworth) writes:
>
>>Barry Margolin, to All on Friday April 24 1992:
>
>> BM> Terminology question: are the Unix units of file storage called
>> BM> "filesystems" (one word) or "file systems" (two words)? Neither is in
>> BM> TNHD.
>
>>To the best of my knowledge, Barry, from 9 years at this...
>
>>The jargon term for what you boot from, or mount, on a unix system is, from the preponderance of the references I've seen, is "filesystem" (no space).
>
>Eh. Excuse me to butt in here with a little bit of >EVIDENCE<.
>All you people have to do is RTFM. Look at this:
>
>%man -k \(2\) | grep file | grep system
>getdents (2) - gets directory entries in a filesystem independent format
>getdirentries (2) - gets directory entries in a filesystem independent format
>statfs, fstatfs (2) - get file system statistics
>ustat (2) - get file system statistics
>%
>
>Try this with '\(8\)' for even more confusement. In short, use
>whatever feels better to your fingers while you type it.

Oh...of course!!!! It must be true! They wrote it in the man pages! :}

filesystem: a logical storage allocation for the systematic organization
and containment of data.

file system: a large cabinet intended for the storage of files.

Calling a 'filesystem' a 'file system' is a Berkeleyism that never
quite died. The terms are only interchangeable if you get paid to
write shoddy man-pages or if your 'filesystem' is housed in a 'file
system'

Of course...this is only my own personal reality as I know and
propagate it.

______Opinions stated are my own. Transcripts available by request______
===
=--==== AT&T Canada Inc. John Benfield
=----==== 3650 Victoria Park Ave. Network Support Analyst (MIS)
=----==== Suite 800
==--===== Willowdale, Ontario attmail : ~jbenfield
======= M2H-3P7 email : uunet!attcan!john
=== (416) 756-5221 Compu$erve: 72137,722

____Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines._____

Anthony J Stieber

Apr 28, 1992, 1:17:24 PM4/28/92

But my "UNIX Tim-Sharing System: UNIX Programmer's Manual 7th Edition",
Copyright 1983, 1979, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Incorporated
uses both "filesystem" and "file system". The former tends to be
used when refering to command arguments, while the latter may or
may not be used elsewhere.

e.g. the dump man page has under FILES "filesystem and tape vary with
installation", while the df man page has "Default file systems vary
with installation." The dcheck man page uses "file system" everywhere
except for the SYNOPSIS.

It seems that at least at this point the manuals were already
inconsistant. How much influence was there outside of Bell
at this point?

For those not familar with V7 Unix here are some of the new features
mentioned in the introduction:
file lengths now 32 bits rather than 24 bits.
lint
sed
stdio
make
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

Sam Wilson

Apr 29, 1992, 9:13:36 AM4/29/92
cfla...@nrao.edu (Chris Flatters,208,7209,homephone) writes:
> In article 73...@ukw.uucp, lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:

> >It just did a bit of research (this is SunOS 4.1.2):
> > :
> > :

> >This is 81% for "file system", 19% for "filesystem".
> >
> >What does *your* vendor say?
>
> Better than allowing vendors to set terminology standards: check what POSIX
> standard uses. IEEE 1003.1 sanctifies the term "file system", with a space.

But isn't the function of a standards body to make its standards just
that tiny, little bit different from what went before? Examples:
Ethernet and IEEE 802.3, Unix and POSIX etc etc.

[For the serious - the rationale is that then the original developers
don't have a commercial lead whenthe standard is published.]

Sam

Christopher Davis

Apr 29, 1992, 5:59:16 PM4/29/92
Chris> == Chris Flatters,208,7209,homephone <cfla...@nrao.edu>

Chris> Better than allowing vendors to set terminology standards: check
Chris> what POSIX standard uses. IEEE 1003.1 sanctifies the term "file
Chris> system", with a space.

To some, this would be a good reason to go with "filesystem" instead.

(Hey, that's what we need, a man(1) program that replaces 'file system'
with 'filesystem', in accordance with POSIX standards, but only when
you've set the environment variable POSIX_ME_HARDER.)
--
Christopher Davis * c...@eff.org * System Administrator, EFF * +1 617 864 0665
Samizdata isn't that different from Samizdat. -- Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

Ignatios Souvatzis

May 28, 1992, 8:53:44 AM5/28/92
In article <1992Apr25....@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe
Christoph) writes:

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen. This is the standard
"longest word ever used" in German. I don't believe it was really
used, but who knows? It's old, and it's from Austria...

You want to know what it *means*? "Captain at the Danube Steam
Boat Corporation".

... Steam Boat Travel/Transportation Corporation. "Schiffahrt" is used for
all sort of things you can do with ships and get paid for.

Btw, you can make the word longer without problem.

Try "Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaensmuetzenkordelknoten",

which is the knot in the cord at his hat.

--
Paper mail: Ignatios Souvatzis, Radioastronomisches Institut der
Universitaet Bonn, Auf dem Huegel 71, D-5300 Bonn 1, FRG

Frank Stuart

May 30, 1992, 2:46:28 PM5/30/92
In article <SOUVA.92M...@aibn55.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> isouv...@babsy.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de writes:
>In article <1992Apr25....@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe
>Christoph) writes:
>
> Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen. This is the standard
> "longest word ever used" in German. I don't believe it was really
> used, but who knows? It's old, and it's from Austria...

Hmmmm. Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen.
antidisestablishmentarianism (longest English word)

No wonder German gives me such trouble. :>
Of course, it is quite possible that I misspelled antidisestablishmentarianism.

What does this have to do with filesystems? I don't know. I don't even know
how to pronounce Kibo.

Frank Stuart | Slower traffic keep right. | Don't Panic
fst...@eng.auburn.edu | MMMMMmmmmm lutefisk. | Never moon a werewolf

Tim Rolfe

May 30, 1992, 4:57:37 PM5/30/92
In <fstuart.92...@lab16.eng.auburn.edu> fst...@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) writes:

[...]

>Hmmmm. Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen.
> antidisestablishmentarianism (longest English word)

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovulcanoconiosis

From the Merriam-Webster's Third International . . .
"A pneumoconiosis caused by the inhalation of very fine silicate or
quartz dust and occurring esp. in miners."

(Amazing, the useless pieces of information laying around the brain!)
--
--- Tim Rolfe
ro...@dsuvax.dsu.edu

Matthew Farwell

May 30, 1992, 5:02:36 PM5/30/92
In article <fstuart.92...@lab16.eng.auburn.edu> fst...@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) writes:
>In article <SOUVA.92M...@aibn55.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> isouv...@babsy.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de writes:
>>In article <1992Apr25....@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe
>>Christoph) writes:
>> Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen. This is the standard
>> "longest word ever used" in German. I don't believe it was really
>> used, but who knows? It's old, and it's from Austria...
>>
>Hmmmm. Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen.
> antidisestablishmentarianism (longest English word)
>
>No wonder German gives me such trouble. :>
>Of course, it is quite possible that I misspelled antidisestablishmentarianism.

You could have missed out the hyphen as well. :-)

anti-disestablishmentarianism.

Dylan.
--
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As
pretty as an Airport' appear -- Douglas Adams

bruce watson

May 30, 1992, 8:13:02 PM5/30/92
>No wonder German gives me such trouble. :>
>Of course, it is quite possible that I misspelled antidisestablishmentar
anism.

It's correct.

>Frank Stuart | Slower traffic keep right. | Don't Panic
>fst...@eng.auburn.edu | MMMMMmmmmm lutefisk. | Never moon a w
rewolf

|wa...@isis.cs.du.edu | "I haven't been this happy since Toonces the cat |
| Bruce Watson | ran over Skippy the dog." |

John Hawkinson

May 30, 1992, 11:19:50 PM5/30/92
In <1992May30.2...@ibmpcug.co.uk> dy...@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:

>>Hmmmm. Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen.
>> antidisestablishmentarianism (longest English word)

>You could have missed out the hyphen as well. :-)

> anti-disestablishmentarianism.

Isn't it:
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses
and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

?? (from the wp5.1 dictionay)

--
John Hawkinson
jh...@panix.com

Lupe Christoph

May 31, 1992, 11:06:53 AM5/31/92
gm...@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Gabe M Wiener) writes:

>In article <1992May31.0...@panix.com> jh...@panix.com (John Hawkinson) writes:
>>
>>Isn't it:
>> pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses
>>and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

>Yup. Miner's black-lung disease. Currently the longest accepted word
>in the language, though I'm sure any chemist could come up with names of
>chains that go on even longer. :-)

Actually, that's cheating. pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses
is a Greek word. Greek allows - like German - to concatenate words
to make new meanings.

What about plain old English???

The longest English word in /usr/dict/words on SunOS 4.1.2 are
counterproductive and indistinguishable (both 17 letters).
There are 15 Greek and Latin words of the same length or longer.
The longest is electroencephalography (22 letters).

Richard Marshall

Jun 1, 1992, 4:29:22 AM6/1/92
In article <1992May31....@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:
>gm...@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Gabe M Wiener) writes:
>
>>In article <1992May31.0...@panix.com> jh...@panix.com (John Hawkinson) writes:
>>>
>>>Isn't it:
>>> pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses
>>>and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
>
>>Yup. Miner's black-lung disease. Currently the longest accepted word
>>in the language, though I'm sure any chemist could come up with names of
>>chains that go on even longer. :-)
>
>Actually, that's cheating. pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses
>is a Greek word. Greek allows - like German - to concatenate words
>to make new meanings.
>
>What about plain old English???
>
>The longest English word in /usr/dict/words on SunOS 4.1.2 are
>counterproductive and indistinguishable (both 17 letters).
>There are 15 Greek and Latin words of the same length or longer.
>The longest is electroencephalography (22 letters).

What's wrong with antidisestablishmentarianism? (28 letters)
--
lah...@cck.cov.ac.uk R.J.Marshall Alias = Rambo Crewe Alexandra F.C.

"Parents of young organic life forms are warned that }_ HHGTTG 04/05/92
towels can be harmful if swallowed in large quantities." } BBC Radio 4

Marius Milner

Jun 1, 1992, 5:46:00 AM6/1/92

The longest word in the Oxford English Dictionary is
floccinaucinihilipilification
which is one letter longer than the more famous
antidisestablishmentarianism

floccinaucinihilipilification (note that the 'cc' is
pronounced like the letter 'X') means 'the act of
estimating something as worthless'.

Marius

Matthew Farwell

Jun 1, 1992, 6:54:47 AM6/1/92

anti-disestablishmentarianism is hyphenated.

Tony Lezard

Jun 1, 1992, 8:09:42 AM6/1/92
gm...@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Gabe M Wiener) writes:

> In article <1992May31.0...@panix.com> jh...@panix.com (John Hawkinson
> >

> >Isn't it:
> > pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses
> >and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
>
> Yup. Miner's black-lung disease. Currently the longest accepted word
> in the language, though I'm sure any chemist could come up with names of
> chains that go on even longer. :-)

Indeed they could.

Allow me to introduce tryptophan synthetase A protein, an enzyme with
267 amino acids.

It is spelt thus <f/x clears throat>:

Methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalany
glutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylal
anylvalylprolylphenylalanylyalylthreonylleucylgylcylasparttlprolylgly
cylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreony
lleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamy
lleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucylalan
ylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthr
eonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylpr
olylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucyalanyl
leucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylp
rolylisoleucylglyclleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucy
lvalylphenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphen
ylalanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcyteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylvalylas
partylserylvalylleucyylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalyglutaminylglu
tamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylar
ginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucy
lcysteinylprolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleuc
ylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalanylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyros
ylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglyc
ylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylaspara
ginylhistidylleucylvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparagin
ylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisol
eucylserylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucy
laspartylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucyserylglycylserylal
anylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylaspa
raginylisoleucyglutamylprolylglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylle
ucyllysylvalylphenylalanyivalyglutaminylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalany
lthreonylarginylserine.

+++ Tony Lezard: to...@mantis.co.uk or failing that, ar...@phx.cam.ac.uk +++
** Seeking accommodation (just nights) in/near Phoenix, Arizona for the **
** week starting September 6th. Luxury not a requirement and will pay! **
** Please email me if you know of someone who might be able to help. **

Thomas M Farrell

Jun 1, 1992, 11:46:22 AM6/1/92
In article <fstuart.92...@lab16.eng.auburn.edu> fst...@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) writes:

In article <SOUVA.92M...@aibn55.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> isouv...@babsy.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de writes:
>In article <1992Apr25....@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe
>Christoph) writes:
>
> Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen. This is the standard
> "longest word ever used" in German. I don't believe it was really
> used, but who knows? It's old, and it's from Austria...

Hmmmm. Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen.
antidisestablishmentarianism (longest English word)

German:
Konstantinopolitanischerdudelsackpfeiffermachergeselle
English:
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconiosis
--
Tom Farrell __ gan...@dworkin.ccs.northeastern.edu (all of the time) ______
(c) 1992 __ \/ tfar...@lynx.northeastern.edu (presently down) \ /

Dan Tilque

Jun 1, 1992, 4:44:53 PM6/1/92
lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:

>The longest English word in /usr/dict/words on SunOS 4.1.2 are
>counterproductive and indistinguishable (both 17 letters).
>There are 15 Greek and Latin words of the same length or longer.
>The longest is electroencephalography (22 letters).

You seem to be under the illusion that words made of elements from
another language belong to that language. Perhaps in German, that's
the way things work, but not in English. English has borrowed all
kinds of words, roots, suffixes, and prefixes and they all become
English. Words made from these morphemes, e.g. electroencephalography,
are also English.

This is not to say that /usr/dict/words is all English words. There
are several foreign origin phrases which are commonly used in English
where the individual elements of those phrases are not English words.
However, some of those individual words are in /usr/dict/words. The
reason for this is so that ispell will not complain about the use of
these phrases. For example, "situ", "hoi", and "polloi" are in there
so that ispell will not flag "in situ" and "hoi polloi".

---
Dan Tilque -- da...@logos.WR.TEK.COM

Lupe Christoph

Jun 1, 1992, 7:31:02 AM6/1/92
lah...@cck.coventry.ac.uk (Richard Marshall) writes:

>>What about plain old English???
>>
>>The longest English word in /usr/dict/words on SunOS 4.1.2 are
>>counterproductive and indistinguishable (both 17 letters).
>>There are 15 Greek and Latin words of the same length or longer.
>>The longest is electroencephalography (22 letters).

>What's wrong with antidisestablishmentarianism? (28 letters)

Disqualified ;-) Anti is Greek. Dis is a Latin prefix.
I'll accept establishmentarianism for 21 letters. It's
in my 1977 Webster's New Collegiate.

David Casseres

Jun 1, 1992, 6:46:34 PM6/1/92
writes:

> Actually, that's cheating. pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses
> is a Greek word.

Betcha it isn't!

> What about plain old English???
>
> The longest English word in /usr/dict/words on SunOS 4.1.2 are
> counterproductive and indistinguishable (both 17 letters).
> There are 15 Greek and Latin words of the same length or longer.
> The longest is electroencephalography (22 letters).

Sorry. I don't really know about "pneumonoultramicroscopic-
silicovolcanoconioses," but "electroencephalography" is ENGLISH. Technical
English, to be sure, but are you going to claim that any technical word made up
of Greek and/or Latin roots is Greek or Latin?

--
David Casseres
Exclaimer: Wow!

Emory F. Bunn

Jun 1, 1992, 8:52:15 PM6/1/92
In article <1992Jun1.1...@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:
:lah...@cck.coventry.ac.uk (Richard Marshall) writes:
:
(Stuff deleted)
:
:>What's wrong with antidisestablishmentarianism? (28 letters)

:
:Disqualified ;-) Anti is Greek. Dis is a Latin prefix.
:I'll accept establishmentarianism for 21 letters. It's
:in my 1977 Webster's New Collegiate.
:--

By this logic, you must refuse to accept "television" as a word.
("tele-" is Greek; "vision" is from the Latin.)

-Ted

Arlie Davis

Jun 2, 1992, 2:49:46 AM6/2/92
In <10egnv...@agate.berkeley.edu> ted@physics3 (Emory F. Bunn) writes:
[...]

> :Disqualified ;-) Anti is Greek. Dis is a Latin prefix.
> :I'll accept establishmentarianism for 21 letters. It's
> :in my 1977 Webster's New Collegiate.

> By this logic, you must refuse to accept "television" as a word.

> ("tele-" is Greek; "vision" is from the Latin.)

And "automobile".

"Such a thing [the car], if it were to exist, would clearly be called either
an 'autokinesin', or an 'isomobile'." -- Goethe, on cars.

cgp...@minster.york.ac.uk

Jun 1, 1992, 3:39:29 PM6/1/92
In article <fstuart.92...@lab16.eng.auburn.edu> fst...@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) writes:

> antidisestablishmentarianism (longest English word)
^
Actually that isn't one word, it should have a hyphen after the anti. Sorry.

Chris P-E. cgp...@minster.york.ac.uk

Ian Gent

Jun 2, 1992, 10:00:57 AM6/2/92
>In article <1992Jun1.0...@rdg.dec.com> mar...@ed.ac.uk writes:
>>
>>The longest word in the Oxford English Dictionary is
>> floccinaucinihilipilification

No it isn't! The very long p-word (which somebody cited as

> pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

but I don't vouch for it)

is indeed in the Oxford English Dictionary - in the supplement to the 1st
edition and presumably in the 2nd.

Although the OED gives its meaning as a disease, it also notes that it
is almost always only ever used as an example of a very long word - and
all their quotations just cite it as a long word.

Ian

Alfvaen

Jun 2, 1992, 3:54:57 PM6/2/92
Ian Gent writes

That sounds like the word "floccinoccinihilipilification"...in my Random
House dictionary, it's listed as "rare" and notes that it's used mainly as
an example as a very long word. I think it means "The act of estimating as
worthless", which makes the word somewhat self-referential...;-}

--
---Alfvaen(a.k.a. Aaron V. Humphrey)
Canadian Network For Space Research, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Evan Kirshenbaum

Jun 2, 1992, 1:20:21 PM6/2/92
In article <1992May31....@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:
>The longest English word in /usr/dict/words on SunOS 4.1.2 are
>counterproductive and indistinguishable (both 17 letters).

Now that we've heard your judgement of them, what are the words? :-)
(And I have a hard time seeing how two 17 letter words can be
indistinguishable.)

>There are 15 Greek and Latin words of the same length or longer.
>The longest is electroencephalography (22 letters).

You mean "electroencephalography" was borrowed from Greek? or was it
Latin? (What did they call it before the Norman conquest?) Or do you
mean that the word was created as an English word by combining
(originally foreign) morphemes using still-productive rules?

In any case, "antidisestablishmentarianism" still seems like the
longest (and it *is* in /usr/dict/words on HP-UX 8.0). Even if you
insist that it should be "anti-" (and I don't believe it is/was
spelled that way consistently), "disestablishmentarianism" has 24
letters. Neither one seems to get much use these days.

"Electroencephalography" is probably the longest you're likely to hear
(outside of a "what's the longest word in English" puzzle).

Evan Kirshenbaum
HP Laboratories
3500 Deer Creek Road, Building 26U
Palo Alto, CA 94304

kirsh...@hplabs.hp.com
(415)857-7572

Michael Qvortrup

Jun 2, 1992, 1:05:45 PM6/2/92
In article <GANDALF.92...@damon.ccs.northeastern.edu> gan...@dworkin.ccs.northeastern.edu (Thomas M Farrell) writes:
>In article <fstuart.92...@lab16.eng.auburn.edu> fst...@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) writes:
>
> In article <SOUVA.92M...@aibn55.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> isouv...@babsy.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de writes:
> >In article <1992Apr25....@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe
> >Christoph) writes:
> >
> > Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen. This is the standard
> > "longest word ever used" in German. I don't believe it was really
> > used, but who knows? It's old, and it's from Austria...
> >
> Hmmmm. Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen.
> antidisestablishmentarianism (longest English word)
>
>German:
> Konstantinopolitanischerdudelsackpfeiffermachergeselle

No, most certainly not. You have concatenated an adjective and a noun. This
is, in this case, clearly not correct (there might be cases where you can
do it, but I can't think of any right now, and I doubt they exist). German
allows a somewhat ridiculous concatenation of nouns (see the Danube captain
above).

The correct phrase would be

Konstantinopolitanischer Dudelsackpfeiffenmachergeselle
^ it is plural!

which is most certainly two words. The adjective might take the price for
the longest adjective, though.

These German noun concatenations would most probably not be accepted as
'proper, separate words' in the sense, that they would make it into a
dictionary.

Greetings,
--Mike

--
#include <std-disclm.h>--"... and there is a small flaw in my character."---
Real Life: Michael Christian Heide Qvortrup A Dane ETH, Zuerich

Gavin Williams

Jun 2, 1992, 6:05:23 PM6/2/92

I can't remember the exact word, but it begins with the letters 'floppi'
and is described as ' The art of estimating something as being useless'.

--
It matters not how strait the gate,
Gavin... How charged with punishments the scroll,

Dave Brown

Jun 2, 1992, 9:07:04 PM6/2/92
In article <1992Jun2.1...@aisb.ed.ac.uk> i...@aifh.ed.ac.uk (Ian Gent) writes:
>>In article <1992Jun1.0...@rdg.dec.com> mar...@ed.ac.uk writes:
>>>
>>>The longest word in the Oxford English Dictionary is
>>> floccinaucinihilipilification
>
>No it isn't! The very long p-word (which somebody cited as
>
>> pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
>
>but I don't vouch for it)
>
>is indeed in the Oxford English Dictionary - in the supplement to the 1st
>edition and presumably in the 2nd.

Okay, floccinaucinihipilification (I mentioned somebody with a Random
House dictioanary claim that the spelling was floccinoccinihipilification,
but (amazingly enough) that's an Americanized spelling) may not be the
longest word to be found in a dictionary, but as far as I know,
floccinaucinihipilificate is the longest root word in English....

Dave Brown
dagb...@descartes.waterloo.edu

Bill Squire

Jun 3, 1992, 4:42:06 AM6/3/92
lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:

> gm...@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Gabe M Wiener) writes:
> Actually, that's cheating. pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses
> is a Greek word. Greek allows - like German - to concatenate words
> to make new meanings.
>
> What about plain old English???
>
> The longest English word in /usr/dict/words on SunOS 4.1.2 are
> counterproductive and indistinguishable (both 17 letters).
> There are 15 Greek and Latin words of the same length or longer.
> The longest is electroencephalography (22 letters).

I have come to believe the longest "real English" word is
incomprehensibilities at 21 letters. Electroencephalography is really a
technical term and a concatenated word as well.

Bill Squire (bi...@hacktic.nl)

Lupe Christoph

Jun 2, 1992, 3:16:05 PM6/2/92
alda...@draconis.spd.louisville.edu (Arlie Davis) writes:

>In <10egnv...@agate.berkeley.edu> ted@physics3 (Emory F. Bunn) writes:
>[...]
>> :Disqualified ;-) Anti is Greek. Dis is a Latin prefix.
>> :I'll accept establishmentarianism for 21 letters. It's
>> :in my 1977 Webster's New Collegiate.

>> By this logic, you must refuse to accept "television" as a word.
>> ("tele-" is Greek; "vision" is from the Latin.)

>And "automobile".

Oh, I don't reject those as words. They're perfectly good in everyday
life ;-) It's just that these words rely on forming rules alien
to English. In English, you don't use a wordsruntoghethermethod.

>"Such a thing [the car], if it were to exist, would clearly be called either
>an 'autokinesin', or an 'isomobile'." -- Goethe, on cars.

I like Ipsokineton better. (Iso is Greek, from isos (equal);
ipse is latin for "the same". Kinetos means "moved", kinesin
is the accusativ of kinesis, movement. I would readily agree
that kinetos is nor equivalent to mobilis. ;-))

Gavin Williams

Jun 3, 1992, 4:42:40 AM6/3/92
In <VsgRLB...@hacktic.nl> bi...@hacktic.nl (Bill Squire) writes:

>lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:

>I have come to believe the longest "real English" word is
>incomprehensibilities at 21 letters. Electroencephalography is really a
>technical term and a concatenated word as well.

Actually, antidisestablishmentarianism is longer, but, as I said in
another post, floppi..........something is the longest.

He that would sup with The Devil

Jun 2, 1992, 10:04:24 PM6/2/92
In article <1992Jun2.1...@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:

> Oh, I don't reject those [antidisestablishmentarianism] as words.

> They're perfectly good in everyday life ;-) It's just that these
> words rely on forming rules alien to English. In English, you don't
> use a wordsruntoghethermethod.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you're not a native speaker of English,
are you?

`Antidisestablishmenatrianism' has only one stem word: `Establish'.
Although it's uncommon in English to concatentate more than two stem
words, and we don't have any constructions like German's
`Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzerkraftwagen', it's common to append more
than two affixes, such as `anti-', `dis-', `-ment', `-arian', or `-ism'.
I am sure few people would object to `antipostmodernism', for example.

--

And for to see, and eke for to be seye
Mark-Jason Dominus m...@central.cis.upenn.edu

Richard Marshall

Jun 1, 1992, 11:52:12 AM6/1/92
There's one problem with this. How do you fit it all on a SCRABBLE board? B-)

David Casseres

Jun 3, 1992, 2:12:27 PM6/3/92
writes:

> Oh, I don't reject [television and automobile] as words. They're perfectly

> good in everyday life ;-) It's just that these words rely on forming rules
> alien to English. In English, you don't use a wordsruntoghethermethod.

Who don't? Have you ever used a handbook? Played a woodwind instrument? Been
caught in a downpour or a cloudburst? Played football? Eaten mincemeat?

Tom Watson

Jun 3, 1992, 5:30:37 PM6/3/92
Super-cali-fragil-istic-expli-elli-docious

Please no 'spelling' flames, I never saw the movie.
----
Tom Watson
johana!t...@apple.com

Hannu Helminen ti

Jun 3, 1992, 5:55:02 PM6/3/92
In article <1992Jun2.1...@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> qvor...@inf.ethz.ch (Michael Qvortrup) writes:

> In article <GANDALF.92...@damon.ccs.northeastern.edu> gan...@dworkin.ccs.northeastern.edu (Thomas M Farrell) writes:
> >In article <fstuart.92...@lab16.eng.auburn.edu> fst...@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) writes:
> >
> > In article <SOUVA.92M...@aibn55.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> isouv...@babsy.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de writes:
> > >In article <1992Apr25....@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe
> > >Christoph) writes:
> > >
> > > Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen. This is the standard
> > > "longest word ever used" in German. I don't believe it was really
> > > used, but who knows? It's old, and it's from Austria...
> > >
> > Hmmmm. Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen.
> > antidisestablishmentarianism (longest English word)
> >
> >German:
> > Konstantinopolitanischerdudelsackpfeiffermachergeselle

What about Finnish:
Ep{j{rjestelm{llistytt{m{tt|myydell{ns{k{{n
({ is letter a with two dots over it)
"Ep{" is actually a prefix, but you can use the word without it.
Please don't ask me to explain what it means :)
--

_| _ _ Hannu d...@stekt.oulu.fi // Does anybody else in here
(_|| | ) Helminen d...@phoenix.oulu.fi \X/ feel the way I do?

Charlie Gibbs

Jun 3, 1992, 8:02:48 PM6/3/92
In article <26...@goofy.Apple.COM> johana!t...@apple.com (Tom Watson)
writes:

>Super-cali-fragil-istic-expli-elli-docious
>
>Please no 'spelling' flames, I never saw the movie.

Neither did I. But "The Family Circus", normally a terminally
cute comic strip, did come out with what might be considered a
mnemonic, in the form of a series of little drawings of:

A cow wearing a cape, flying through the air
A list of delicate items of china
A piece of a small tree branch
A couple of eggs
A single pea
A back lane
A bag of money
Someone motioning to be quiet

which was interpreted as:

Super-cow, a fragile list, stick, eggs, pea, alley, dough, shush!

BTW if "antidisestablishmentarianism" has a hyphen, it must
have been an addition. The foot-thick "Webster's Twentieth-Century
Dictionary" that's been in the family as long as I remember (and
probably longer, it's dated 1937) contains an addendum that not
only gives a definition, but also spells it without the hyphen.

As for more commonly used long words, I'm surprised that
nobody has yet mentioned those darlings of the industry,
"interoperability" and "internationalization", which are
commonly abberviated to "i14y" and "i18n" respectively.

Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!" -- Night Court

Kristian Koehntopp

Jun 3, 1992, 6:01:09 PM6/3/92
In <1992Jun2.1...@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> qvor...@inf.ethz.ch (Michael Qvortrup) writes:
> Konstantinopolitanischer Dudelsackpfeiffenmachergeselle
> ^ it is plural!

"Dudelsackpfeiffenmachergesellenpruefungskommisonsvorsitzende"

is the chairlady of the commitee for the examination of a bag
pipe makers apprentice. The example can easily be extended as in

"Dudelsackpfeiffenmachergesellenpruefungskommisonsvorsitzendentochter"

which is her daugther. You do not find this in any dictionary
but it follows the common rules for german word concatenation
and is - well - understood.

Kristian
--
Kristian Koehntopp, Harmsstrasse 98, FRG W-2300 Kiel, +49 431 676689
SN182A-102 User too stupid error.

Colin Dente

Jun 3, 1992, 9:54:08 AM6/3/92
In article <willimsa....@unix1.tcd.ie>, will...@unix1.tcd.ie (Gavin Williams) writes:

|> Actually, antidisestablishmentarianism is longer, but, as I said in
|> another post, floppi..........something is the longest.

I thought that floccinaucinihillipillification (that's spelt straight off the
top of my head, so it may well be wrong) was made up at Eton as a latin-related
joke. Unfortunately, my OED is at home, and the concise doesn't have it.

Colin

--
Colin Dente | JANET: de...@uk.ac.manchester
Manchester Computing Centre | ARPA: de...@manchester.ac.uk

dks

Jun 3, 1992, 10:32:41 PM6/3/92
In article <26...@goofy.Apple.COM> johana!t...@apple.com (Tom Watson) writes:
>Super-cali-fragil-istic-expli-elli-docious

Super-cali-fragilistic-expi-ali-docious.
(Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious)

>Please no 'spelling' flames, I never saw the movie.

Not a flame but a material correction,
given that we are discussing word-length.

Cheers!
-- Dhanesh

tha...@desire.wright.edu

Jun 3, 1992, 11:41:30 AM6/3/92
In article <MJD.92Ju...@saul.cis.upenn.edu>,
m...@saul.cis.upenn.edu (He that would sup with The Devil) writes:

> Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you're not a native speaker of English,
> are you?
>
> `Antidisestablishmenatrianism' has only one stem word: `Establish'.
> Although it's uncommon in English to concatentate more than two stem
> words, and we don't have any constructions like German's
> `Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzerkraftwagen' ...

I'm a native English speaker (well, *American* English ...) and I speak no
German, but I am intrigued: what the *HECK* is "schutzen... (etc., et al.)"?

And reagrdless of whatever it means, why wouldn't the typical German
come up with a shorter word? Maybe such as the (ahem) all-American
"thingamabob"?

-----ted hayes
"thingamabob's your uncle!"

Mejia Pablo

Jun 4, 1992, 2:26:57 AM6/4/92
In article <26...@goofy.Apple.COM> johana!t...@apple.com (Tom Watson) writes:
Super-cali-fragil-istic-expli-elli-docious

Super-cali-fragi-listic-ixpi-alle-docious

Please no 'spelling' flames, I never saw the movie.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

--
*** Theory is when we know everything but nothing goes right. ***
*** Practice is when everything goes right but nobody knows why. ***

Peter Moylan

Jun 4, 1992, 2:41:10 AM6/4/92
In article <1992Jun2.1...@ukw.uucp>, lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:

>>> By this logic, you must refuse to accept "television" as a word.
>>> ("tele-" is Greek; "vision" is from the Latin.)
>
>>And "automobile".
>
> Oh, I don't reject those as words. They're perfectly good in everyday
> life ;-) It's just that these words rely on forming rules alien
> to English. In English, you don't use a wordsruntoghethermethod.

I all most gain said that, but in hind sight I saw that no body would
under stand the out land ish words I would un think ingly have run
to gether.
--
Peter Moylan ee...@wombat.newcastle.edu.au

Charles Lasner

Jun 4, 1992, 11:07:18 AM6/4/92
Don't know about the longest word, but how 'bout the longest pop song title:

Jan and Dean's

Anaheim, Azusa, Cookamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association.

Do such organizations with multi-purpose names actually exist?

I have heard of the Brooklyn Heights Poker and Literary Guild BTW. They were
once peripherally involved with certain computer people, etc., a long story
to be repeated in another post.

cjl (my initials don't form a long word either)

Hans Mulder

Jun 4, 1992, 1:13:11 PM6/4/92
In <1992Jun2.1...@ukw.uucp> lu...@ukw.uucp (Lupe Christoph) writes:
>Oh, I don't reject those as words. They're perfectly good in everyday
^^^^^^^^

>life ;-) It's just that these words rely on forming rules alien
>to English. In English, you don't use a wordsruntoghethermethod.

Care to explain how the word "everyday" came into being if it wasn't by
using the wordsruntogethermethod? Or is "everyday" a Greek loan word, too?

--
Hans Mulder ha...@cs.kun.nl

Alfvaen

Jun 4, 1992, 1:39:40 PM6/4/92
Charles Lasner writes

> Don't know about the longest word, but how 'bout the longest pop song
title:

> Jan and Dean's
>
> Anaheim, Azusa, Cookamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing
Association.

AACSCBRATA. Almost a pronounceable acronym.

> Do such organizations with multi-purpose names actually exist?
>
> I have heard of the Brooklyn Heights Poker and Literary Guild BTW. They
were
> once peripherally involved with certain computer people, etc., a long
story
> to be repeated in another post.

Longest band name I've heard:

We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Going To Use It

Longest album title I can think of offhand:

Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians'

Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars

(Terence Trent D'Arby's Neither Fish Nor Flesh is longer if you include the
subtitle, which I can never remember.)

By the way, does anyone know if there's truth to the rumour that Paul Simon
and Edie Brickell recently got married? I heard it on talk.bizarre, so I'm
skeptical...

> cjl (my initials don't form a long word either)

--
---Alfvaen(a.k.a. Aaron V. Humphrey)
Canadian Network For Space Research, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Her hair spilled out like rootbeer...

Current Album--Red Rider:Neruda

Andrew Rogers

Jun 4, 1992, 3:22:07 PM6/4/92
In article <1992Jun4.1...@kakwa.ucs.ualberta.ca> aa...@space.ualberta.ca (Alfvaen) writes:
>Charles Lasner writes
>> Don't know about the longest word, but how 'bout the longest pop song
>title:
>>
>> Jan and Dean's
>>
>> Anaheim, Azusa, Cookamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing
>Association.

Not even close. How about Hoagy Carmichael's WWII classic, "I'm A Cranky
Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my <mumble
mumble> Mama Doin' Those Neat-o, Beat-o, Flat-on-my-seat-o Hirohito Blues"?

>Longest band name I've heard:
>
>We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Going To Use It

Nope. Try "The Rock And Roll Dubble Bubble Trading Card Company of
Philadelphia 19141", who actually charted in the late 60's with (what else?)
"Bubble Gum Music".

>Longest album title I can think of offhand:
>
>Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians'
>
>Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars

There's a late-60's Tyrannosaurus Rex LP with a title something like "My
people were fair <mumble mumble> stars in their hair but now they're
content <mumble mumble> on their brows".

>By the way, does anyone know if there's truth to the rumour that Paul Simon
>and Edie Brickell recently got married? I heard it on talk.bizarre, so I'm
>skeptical...

Yes; it's been in all the newspapers. But is there any truth to the rumor
that EB is Jerry Garcia's daughter?

AWR

CP/M lives!

Jun 4, 1992, 4:35:58 PM6/4/92
In article <1992Jun4.1...@news.columbia.edu>, las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:

> cjl (my initials don't form a long word either)

They do if they're null-terminated:

.ASCIZ /cjl/

is one longword on a VAX.

BTW, have you considered using other than the first letter of your middle
and last names so that your initials could be three hexadecimal digits,
i.e., twelve bits?

Finally, if I think of PDP-8 data as three hexadecimal digits, or three
nybbles, is that a trybble?

Roger Ivie
iv...@cc.usu.edu

Frank Stuart

Jun 3, 1992, 12:10:36 PM6/3/92
In article <1992Jun01....@ibmpcug.co.uk> dy...@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>In article <1992Jun1.0...@rdg.dec.com> mar...@ed.ac.uk writes:
>>

>>floccinaucinihilipilification (note that the 'cc' is
>>pronounced like the letter 'X') means 'the act of
>>estimating something as worthless'.
>
>anti-disestablishmentarianism is hyphenated.

Does the hyphen count as a letter when figuring its length?
(Is that reason enough for the floccinaucinihilipilification of this thread?)

Frank Stuart | Slower traffic keep right. | Don't Panic
fst...@eng.auburn.edu | MMMMMmmmmm lutefisk. | Never moon a werewolf

Charlie Gibbs

Jun 4, 1992, 8:24:22 PM6/4/92
In article <1992Jun4.1...@news.columbia.edu>
las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:

>Don't know about the longest word, but how 'bout the longest pop song title:
>
>Jan and Dean's
>
>Anaheim, Azusa, Cookamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association.

Here's one by Shawn Phillips (hope I remember it right):

She was waiting for her mother at the station in Torino and
you know I love you baby but it's getting too heavy to laugh

Then there's Pink Floyd's

Several species of small furry animals gathered together
in a cave and grooving with a Pict

(Do your own capitalization; I'm tuckered out just typing them in. :-)

Any more?

Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca
I'm looking for the stationery department but they keep moving it.

Garrett Wollman

Jun 4, 1992, 9:24:32 PM6/4/92
In article <DM.92Ju...@stekt2.oulu.fi> d...@stekt2.oulu.fi (Hannu Helminen ti) writes:
>What about Finnish:
>Ep{j{rjestelm{llistytt{m{tt|myydell{ns{k{{n
>({ is letter a with two dots over it)
>"Ep{" is actually a prefix, but you can use the word without it.
>Please don't ask me to explain what it means :)

Ah, but ``h{{y|aie'' is so much more impressive (one consonant, seven
vowels) and just as vacuous... And don't forget that your `k{{n',
`ns{', `ll{', `myys', and `m{t|n' are all suffixes... Pity I can't
figure out what it means to j{rjestelm{llistytt{{. (I think I got
that right.)

-GAWollman

ObComputers: ISO 646 is such a pain, but MIME is not well-understood
as yet and my display doesn't do 8859-1 anyway. And where did IBM get
``Code Page 850'', or whatever the character set that my PC displays is
called, from anyway?

--
Garrett A. Wollman = wol...@uvm.edu = UVM is welcome to my opinions
= uvm-gen!wollman =

Chip Olson

Jun 4, 1992, 10:41:56 PM6/4/92

>Charles Lasner writes
>> Don't know about the longest word, but how 'bout the longest pop song
>title:
>>
>> Jan and Dean's
>>
>> Anaheim, Azusa, Cookamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing
>Association.
>
>AACSCBRATA. Almost a pronounceable acronym.

Camper Van Beethoven's _The Third Album plus Vampire Can Mating Oven_ CD has
a wierd instrumental called _Processional_, which in the liner notes is
mentioned as having originally been entitled, "Why don't you challenge the
boundaries of rock music by playing harsh furious dissonant guitar 2noise
music with lyrics exclusively about death and sex and pretend like you are
making some kind of original statement about the relation between the two
and therefore expressing the pain and confusion of modern society, and then
become a rock critic and write about your own band under a different name
but not before you move to New York or LA or Chicago or some sufficiently
urban area and live in a bad part of town while still receiving checks from
your parents who were probably liberals and didn't let you watch enough
violence on TV and so you never got it out of your system, and then go to
law school like everyone else".

Beat that. :-)

>Longest album title I can think of offhand:
>
>Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians'
>
>Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars

Well, the aforementioned CVB album is up there, although it's 2 albums on
one CD. They also have albums entitled _Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweet-
heart_ and _Telephone Free Landslide Victory_. Then of course there's
_Liquid Acrobat As Regards The Air_ by The Incredible String Band.

--
-Chip Olson. | ol...@husc.harvard.edu | c...@gnu.ai.mit.edu (seldom used)
"'Cause what the world needs now are some true words of wisdom,

Thomas Farmer

Jun 4, 1992, 7:39:00 PM6/4/92
In article <12...@mindlink.bc.ca> Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>In article <26...@goofy.Apple.COM> johana!t...@apple.com (Tom Watson)
>writes:
>
>>Super-cali-fragil-istic-expli-elli-docious
>
> Neither did I. But "The Family Circus", normally a terminally
>cute comic strip, did come out with what might be considered a
>mnemonic, in the form of a series of little drawings of:
>
>Super-cow, a fragile list, stick, eggs, pea, alley, dough, shush!

Cute. :-)

> "antidisestablishmentarianism"

How about antidisestablishmentarianists? :-)

--
Thomas Farmer | tfa...@datamark.co.nz or | Love is a bucketful
Datamark Intl Ltd | tfa...@cavebbs.welly.gen.nz | of still warm beagles.

Peter David THOMPSON

Jun 4, 1992, 11:40:44 PM6/4/92
Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) writes:

>In article <26...@goofy.Apple.COM> johana!t...@apple.com (Tom Watson)
>writes:

>>Super-cali-fragil-istic-expli-elli-docious
>>
>>Please no 'spelling' flames, I never saw the movie.

> Neither did I. But "The Family Circus", normally a terminally
>cute comic strip, did come out with what might be considered a
>mnemonic, in the form of a series of little drawings of:

> A cow wearing a cape, flying through the air
> A list of delicate items of china
> A piece of a small tree branch
> A couple of eggs
> A single pea
> A back lane
> A bag of money
> Someone motioning to be quiet

The "My Word" series on BBC radio had a segment where Frank Muir and Dennis
Norden would each be asked to make up a short story that ended with a pun
on a quotation. One week's effort by one of them ended with:
Soup
A cauli(flower)
fridge
elastic
Spilt pea
halitosis

>which was interpreted as:

>Super-cow, a fragile list, stick, eggs, pea, alley, dough, shush!

> BTW if "antidisestablishmentarianism" has a hyphen, it must
>have been an addition. The foot-thick "Webster's Twentieth-Century
>Dictionary" that's been in the family as long as I remember (and
>probably longer, it's dated 1937) contains an addendum that not
>only gives a definition, but also spells it without the hyphen.

> As for more commonly used long words, I'm surprised that
>nobody has yet mentioned those darlings of the industry,
>"interoperability" and "internationalization", which are
>commonly abberviated to "i14y" and "i18n" respectively.

>Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca
>"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!" -- Night Court

* These opinions belong to p...@mundil.cs.mu.OZ.AU unless otherwise specified.
"GNU Make will no longer go into an infinite loop when fed the horrid trash
that passes for makefiles that `imake' produces (so you can compile X, despite
the extreme stubbornness and irrationality of its maintainers)."-version 3.55

Charles Lasner

Jun 5, 1992, 12:06:01 AM6/5/92

Someone told me once about a non-DEC PDP-8 clone design where the documentation
actually bothered to explain the -8 opcodes as 3 hex digits, not the customary
octal. He claims it even almost made some sense. Think of the indirect bit
as forming alternate opcodes when set gives you 16 instruction groups instead
of 8, and then a two nybble address to locate the operand in.

cjl (not "cjl ")

Charles Lasner

Jun 5, 1992, 12:12:05 AM6/5/92
In article <12...@mindlink.bc.ca> Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) writes:

But are these other songs descriptions, or are they actually a subset of the
words of the song? (The Jan & Dean song qualifies as such.)

cjl (2 drives for every controller - Computer City, here we come)

CP/M lives!

Jun 5, 1992, 5:38:19 AM6/5/92
In article <1992Jun5.0...@news.columbia.edu>, las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:

>>Then there's Pink Floyd's
>>
>> Several species of small furry animals gathered together
>> in a cave and grooving with a Pict
>>

> But are these other songs descriptions, or are they actually a subset of the
> words of the song? (The Jan & Dean song qualifies as such.)

"Several species...." is an instrumental. No words for it to be a subset of.

Roger Ivie
iv...@cc.usu.edu

CP/M lives!

Jun 5, 1992, 5:36:45 AM6/5/92
In article <1992Jun5.0...@news.columbia.edu>, las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:
> Someone told me once about a non-DEC PDP-8 clone design where the documentation
> actually bothered to explain the -8 opcodes as 3 hex digits, not the customary
> octal. He claims it even almost made some sense. Think of the indirect bit
> as forming alternate opcodes when set gives you 16 instruction groups instead
> of 8, and then a two nybble address to locate the operand in.

The PDP-5 front panel that I picked up somewhere groups both the Indirect and
Page Zero bits in with the opcode, which could divide the instructions into
32 groups. Now if only the OPeRate divisions were made that way, we'd be
set...

Roger Ivie
iv...@cc.usu.edu

Hannu Helminen ti

Jun 5, 1992, 5:57:49 AM6/5/92
In article <1992Jun5.0...@uvm.edu> wol...@UVM.EDU (Garrett Wollman) writes:

> In article <DM.92Ju...@stekt2.oulu.fi> d...@stekt2.oulu.fi (Hannu Helminen ti) writes:
> >What about Finnish:
> >Ep{j{rjestelm{llistytt{m{tt|myydell{ns{k{{n
> >({ is letter a with two dots over it)
> >"Ep{" is actually a prefix, but you can use the word without it.
> >Please don't ask me to explain what it means :)

> Ah, but ``h{{y|aie'' is so much more impressive (one consonant, seven
> vowels) and just as vacuous... And don't forget that your `k{{n',
> `ns{', `ll{', `myys', and `m{t|n' are all suffixes... Pity I can't
> figure out what it means to j{rjestelm{llistytt{{. (I think I got
> that right.)

Yes, they are suffixes, but I think they should be allowed in this
"long word" contest, since that is how many Finnish words are made.
One could make virtually arbitrarily long words by just concatenating
words together (in Finnish anyway), but the number of suffixes one can
tag on one word is always limited.

'to j{rjestelm{llistytt{{' means something like 'to order' or rather,
'to make something be ordered' (with emphasis on the act on making).
It is derived from 'j{rjestelm{llinen' (ordered) with a suffix :)
So basically what the whole word means is 'even with his/her ability
to make things be unordered'

This is folklore all right, but what does it have to do with computers
;-)

> -GAWollman

Bill Potter

Jun 5, 1992, 6:38:01 AM6/5/92
In article <1992Jun3.1...@desire.wright.edu>,

tha...@desire.wright.edu writes:

> And reagrdless of whatever it means, why wouldn't the typical German
> come up with a shorter word? Maybe such as the (ahem) all-American
> "thingamabob"?

Ah, but they do - have you not heard of a "dingsbums"? Sorry, make that
a "Dingsbums".

Bill Potter : unido!pcsbst!billp : croft - n. - a piece of land
PCS GmbH : bi...@pcsbst.pcs.com : in the Highlands surrounded
D8000 Muenchen : You can't sink a RAINBOW : completely by regulations.

Ralph 'Hairy' Moonen

Jun 5, 1992, 8:08:57 AM6/5/92
In article <1992Jun4.1...@news.columbia.edu>, las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:
> Don't know about the longest word, but how 'bout the longest pop song title:
>
> Jan and Dean's
>
> Anaheim, Azusa, Cookamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association.

No, it's probably:

The sound of several species of small fury animals gathered together in a cave
grooving with a pict

By Pink Floyd. All you AFU'ers of course know this song is about gerbils :-)

--Ralph Moonen

Michael Qvortrup

Jun 5, 1992, 7:35:45 AM6/5/92
In article <1992Jun3.1...@desire.wright.edu> tha...@desire.wright.edu writes:
>In article <MJD.92Ju...@saul.cis.upenn.edu>,
>m...@saul.cis.upenn.edu (He that would sup with The Devil) writes:
>>
>> Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you're not a native speaker of English,
>> are you?
>>
>> `Antidisestablishmenatrianism' has only one stem word: `Establish'.
>> Although it's uncommon in English to concatentate more than two stem
>> words, and we don't have any constructions like German's
>> `Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzerkraftwagen' ...
>
>I'm a native English speaker (well, *American* English ...) and I speak no
>German, but I am intrigued: what the *HECK* is "schutzen... (etc., et al.)"?

Well, let us split it apart and have a look at it:

Schutzengraben (should actually be Sch\"u...)
trench (as in WW1 trench out at the front, see where this is leading?)
(direct translation: gunner hole)

Vernichtung
noun form of the verb vernichten meaning to destroy

Panzer
armour

Kraftwagen
automotive vehicle (common denominator for car and truck)

Panzerkraftwagen
some kind of armoured vehicle (i.e. a tank)

The word then means an armoured vehicle for the destruction of trenches.
(Could also be a destructive armoured vehicle for use in trenches).

>And reagrdless of whatever it means, why wouldn't the typical German
>come up with a shorter word? Maybe such as the (ahem) all-American
>"thingamabob"?

You mean 'dingsda'? That would translate roughly as 'thingamabob'.

The average German would look just as confused when confronted by such
a word, as the English speaking person would upon being confronted with
'flocci ...'.

The above word might have been in use earlier in this century, but the
tendency to construct such words seems to have died out.

Greetings,
--Mike

--
#include <std-disclm.h>--"... and there is a small flaw in my character."---
Real Life: Michael Christian Heide Qvortrup A Dane ETH, Zuerich
e-mail : qvor...@inf.ethz.ch abroad Switzerland
Institut fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen / Inst. of Scientific Computation

Dinda Peter

Jun 5, 1992, 11:37:49 AM6/5/92
In article <1992Jun5.0...@pcsbst.pcs.com> bi...@pcsbst.pcs.com (Bill Potter) writes:
>Ah, but they do - have you not heard of a "dingsbums"? Sorry, make that
>a "Dingsbums".

My German born mother always uses "Dings" - I was born here and prefer
"whachamacallit." :)

Kenneth Crudup

Jun 5, 1992, 11:56:40 AM6/5/92
(Lupe Christoph) writes:
>The longest English word in /usr/dict/words on SunOS 4.1.2 are
>counterproductive and indistinguishable (both 17 letters).

Now that you've described them, what are the two words?

-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Contractor, OSF DCE QA
OSF, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142 +1 617 621 7306

Harry Bloomberg

Jun 5, 1992, 11:45:43 AM6/5/92
>Do such organizations with multi-purpose names actually exist?
>
>I have heard of the Brooklyn Heights Poker and Literary Guild BTW. They were
>once peripherally involved with certain computer people, etc., a long story
>to be repeated in another post.

There's an organization in the Pittsburgh area called the South Hills
Brass Pounders and Modulators Amateur Radio Club Inc.

Because brass pounding (sending Morse Code) and modulating (voice
communications) are pretty old technologies, I suggested they change
their name to the South Hills Brass Pounders, Modulators, and Digitizers
Amateur Radio Club Inc. The motion died for lack of a second.

Harry Bloomberg
h...@vms.cis.pitt.edu

Alfvaen

Jun 5, 1992, 12:45:05 PM6/5/92
Thomas Farmer writes

Gibbs) writes:
> > "antidisestablishmentarianism"
>
> How about antidisestablishmentarianists? :-)

Do they do things antidisestablishmentarianistically?

--
---Alfvaen(a.k.a. Aaron V. Humphrey)
Canadian Network For Space Research, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Her hair spilled out like rootbeer...

Current Album--The Hooters:Nervous Night

Alfvaen

Jun 5, 1992, 12:44:30 PM6/5/92
Chip Olson writes

Christine Lavin has a song called "Regretting what I said" whose full title,
as said at the beginning of the song, is more like "Regretting what I said
when you called me at 3 a.m. to tell me you were going to drive to the
airport, get on a plane and go skiing in the Alps for three weeks, even
though you know I hate skiing and I couldn't expect you to pay my way, but I
don't like surprises." I've probably mangled it horribly, since this is
from memory and I've only heard the song a few times...

Alfvaen

Jun 5, 1992, 12:50:31 PM6/5/92
CP/M lives! writes

Well, it's not quite an instrumental; the Pict does say some things at the
end, in a Scottish-type accent. And a lot of the furry-animal sounds are
human voices, albeit somewhat modified and not really forming words. But,
on the whole, it's fairly instrumental.

> Roger Ivie
> iv...@cc.usu.edu

Kristian Koehntopp

Jun 5, 1992, 4:15:17 PM6/5/92
In <1992Jun4.1...@sci.kun.nl> ha...@cs.kun.nl (Hans Mulder) writes:
>Care to explain how the word "everyday" came into being if it wasn't by
>using the wordsruntogethermethod? Or is "everyday" a Greek loan word, too?

Yes, and please explain "folk lore" also.

Kristian
--
Kristian Koehntopp, Harmsstrasse 98, FRG W-2300 Kiel, +49 431 676689
"I heard it on talk.bizarre, so I'm sceptical ..."

Kristian Koehntopp

Jun 5, 1992, 4:17:04 PM6/5/92
In <1992Jun4.1...@cc.usu.edu> iv...@cc.usu.edu (CP/M lives!) writes:
>They do if they're null-terminated:

> .ASCIZ /cjl/

>is one longword on a VAX.

Have you disassembled them? What if you execute my name on your
machine?

Charlie Gibbs

Jun 5, 1992, 6:31:45 PM6/5/92
In article <1992Jun5.0...@news.columbia.edu>
las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:

>But are these other songs descriptions, or are they actually a subset of the
>words of the song? (The Jan & Dean song qualifies as such.)

Nope, they're the actual titles as given in the list on the
album cover. I don't have that particular Shawn Phillips album,
but I seem to recall that the liner notes abbreviated that title
to SWWFHMATSITAYKILYBBIGTHTL (or whatever) for the several times
it was mentioned. I do have a copy of Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma",
though. The title of "Several Species..." is definitely not a
subset of the words, because there are no words (unless you count
the nearly incomprehensible Gaelic rambling at the end, which
nonetheless ends with the words "...and the wind cried Mary").

It makes for a crowded label. :-)

One of Jefferson Airplane's more obscure albums contained
a song titled "Never Argue With a German When You're Tired or
European Song". That title did appear, more or less, in the
lyrics, except that it came out more like "Streichen Sie nicht
mit einem Deutscher wenn Sie m"ude sind."

Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you're built upside-down.

Doug Landauer

Jun 5, 1992, 9:27:35 PM6/5/92
> > Don't know about the longest word, but how 'bout the longest
> > pop song title:
^^^
> > Jan and Dean's "Anaheim, Azusa, Cookamonga ..."
>
> "The sound of several species of small fury animals ..."

(is Pink Floyd "pop"?)

Christine Lavin does have one song with a rather long title. Now, I
wouldn't presume to claim that it's the longest pop song title, but it's
certainly the longest one I've ever heard. As I recall, it's

"Regretting what I said to you when you called me at eleven
o'clock on a Friday morning to tell me that at one
o'clock that afternoon you were going to leave the
office, go downstairs, hail a cab to go to the airport,
and fly to Europe to go skiing in the Alps for two
weeks; not that I wanted to go, I couldn't get away
from the office, I'm not that good of a skiier and I
couldn't expect you to pay my way but after going
out with you for three years, I *don't* *like* *surprises*!"

[Just try to type that in one breath!]

It's subtitled "A Musical Apology"; it's one of my favorite
funny songs. The first few lines:

I didn't mean it when I said, "I hope the cable ...
in the elevator ... snaps -- when you get on board."
And I was joking when I said, "I hope you crack your head,
and get mangled by the downstairs revolving door."
And I was kidding when I said, "I hope the number 103 bus
hits and makes a pancake out of you."

Followups to rec.music.folk ...
--
Doug Landauer -- land...@eng.sun.com
SMI[STE]->SunPro::Languages.PE(C++);

Hans Mulder

Jun 5, 1992, 9:00:42 PM6/5/92
In <1992Jun4.0...@usl.edu> tea...@ucs.usl.edu (Mejia Pablo) writes:
>In article <26...@goofy.Apple.COM> johana!t...@apple.com (Tom Watson) writes:
>>Super-cali-fragil-istic-expli-elli-docious

>Super-cali-fragi-listic-ixpi-alle-docious

Super-cal-ifrag-ilistic-expi-ali-docious

>>Please no 'spelling' flames, I never saw the movie.

That's OK, but you really ought to have the TeX book handy (it's on page 450).

>Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, I couldn't either.

--
Hans Mulder ha...@cs.kun.nl

Taed Nelson

Jun 5, 1992, 12:29:57 PM6/5/92
In article <1992Jun5.1...@cbfsb.cb.att.com>, coo...@cbnewsg.cb.att.com (Ralph 'Hairy' Moonen) writes:
> In article <1992Jun4.1...@news.columbia.edu>, las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:
> > Don't know about the longest word, but how 'bout the longest pop song title:
> >
> > Anaheim, Azusa, Cookamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association.
> The sound of several species of small fury animals gathered together in a cave
> grooving with a pict

Clearly, you people don't listen to folk music. There is a popular (as
popular as new folk gets, anyway) song by Christine Lavin entitled:

"Regretting what I said to you when you called me eleven o'clock on
a Friday morning to tell me that at one o'clock Friday afternoon, you're
going to leave your office, go downstairs, hail a cab to go to the airport
to catch a plane to ski in the Alps for two weeks -- not that I wanted to go
with you, I wasn't able to leave town, I'm not a very good skiier, I
couldn't expect you to pay my way, but after going out with you for three
years, I don't like surprises."

And to add even more, it's _subtitled_ "(A musical apology)" just to make it
easier to talk about. It's usually referred to as "Regretting what I
said..." since it's generally frowned upon when it takes twenty minutes just
to ask someone if they've heard a song...

Felix Finch

Jun 6, 1992, 1:49:35 PM6/6/92

> In article <1992Jun4.1...@news.columbia.edu>, las...@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner) writes:
>> Don't know about the longest word, but how 'bout the longest pop song title:

> The sound of several species of small fury animals gathered together in a cave
> grooving with a pict

> By Pink Floyd. All you AFU'ers of course know this song is about gerbils :-)

You Don't Bring Me Floriculturally Diverse Polyfragrant Soilistically
Challenged Multipetaled Victims of Pesticidal Food Chain Chauvinism

by the Capitol Steps, on '76 Bad Loans.

Felix Finch, scarecrow repairer / fe...@crowfix.com / uunet!crowfix!felix

Barbara Trumpinski

Jun 7, 1992, 6:22:45 PM6/7/92

>Clearly, you people don't listen to folk music. There is a popular (as
> popular as new folk gets, anyway) song by Christine Lavin entitled:

>"Regretting what I said to you when you called me eleven o'clock on
> a Friday morning to tell me that at one o'clock Friday afternoon, you're
> going to leave your office, go downstairs, hail a cab to go to the airport
> to catch a plane to ski in the Alps for two weeks -- not that I wanted to go
> with you, I wasn't able to leave town, I'm not a very good skiier, I
> couldn't expect you to pay my way, but after going out with you for three
> years, I don't like surprises."

>And to add even more, it's _subtitled_ "(A musical apology)" just to make it
> easier to talk about. It's usually referred to as "Regretting what I
> said..." since it's generally frowned upon when it takes twenty minutes just
> to ask someone if they've heard a song...

and it is a great song....

barb
conan the librarian a.k.a. kitten /\ /\ barbara ann
"my life's a soap opera, isn't yours?" {=.=}
~ trum...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu

"everything starts as someone's daydream." larry niven
"to books that are the axes for the ice on our souls"

Sam Wilson

Jun 8, 1992, 8:01:50 AM6/8/92
rog...@rosencrantz.osf.org (Andrew Rogers) writes:
> There's a late-60's Tyrannosaurus Rex LP with a title something like "My
> people were fair <mumble mumble> stars in their hair but now they're
> content <mumble mumble> on their brows".

"My people were fair and had sky in their hair but now they're content
to wear stars on their brows." (Hang the capitals!)

It's actually the last 2 (or 4) lines of one of the songs (the last
song?) on the album, but I can't remember what the song was actually
entitled. Must be 20 years...

By the way, I realise this isn't really a contender for the 'longest
song title', but I've always had a soft spot for the Rezillos'

"(I Love My Baby Cos She Does) Good Sculptures"
Sam

tha...@desire.wright.edu

Jun 8, 1992, 5:26:03 PM6/8/92

And earlier "dingsda" was nominated for thingamabob. Don't tell me: dingsbums
and dingsda are male/female or singular/plural, right?

Dings sounds good in that case!

-----ted hayes

Phil Abercrombie

Jun 9, 1992, 8:00:58 PM6/9/92

Evan> In any case, "antidisestablishmentarianism" still seems like the
Evan> longest (and it *is* in /usr/dict/words on HP-UX 8.0). Even if you
Evan> insist that it should be "anti-" (and I don't believe it is/was
Evan> spelled that way consistently), "disestablishmentarianism" has 24
Evan> letters. Neither one seems to get much use these days.

I seem to recall that Heseltine was talking about the dis-establishment
of the Church of England some 8 months ago.

As is my nature, I was very much against all he proposed.

Phil
--
Phil Abercrombie | Living in another country | _~o _O | BIKE TO
aberc...@mdcbbs.com | Under another name | -\<,-\<, | WORK

Charles Lasner

Jun 10, 1992, 12:09:30 AM6/10/92

In the '60's there was a song entitled "Gimme dat ding" anyone know the artist?

cjl

Mark Slagle

Jun 10, 1992, 8:28:56 PM6/10/92

> In the '60's there was a song entitled "Gimme dat ding" anyone
> know the artist?

I distinctly recall hearing Chuck Berry do the song, but I don't
know if he is the author. Still, I thought it sounded more like
"Gimme dat ting."
--
----
Mark E. Slagle PO Box 61059

Peter Kittel

Jun 10, 1992, 6:57:52 AM6/10/92
tha...@desire.wright.edu writes:

It's neutral, singular. "Ding" is the exact translation of the english
noun "thing", the version "Dings" is slang and "Dingsbums" also.
As far as I know, there are some dialects of English who turn the "th"
into a "d", so I'm not surprised that Englishmen like this word, too.

Where I always have difficulties: Where does that "foobar" (or foo, bar)
stuff come from? It's not a normal english word?

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel // E-Mail to \\ Only my personal opinions...
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

It is loading more messages.