NAPALM : Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages

22 views
Skip to first unread message

NAPALM

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 3:24:34 AMSep 18
to
Salutations to ye netizens of ye olde Usenet. Do any of you know how to
trim your posts before submitting?

I have to spend most of my Usenet reading time scrolling past quoted
text, rather than reading. Many posts appear as gangly hydras of broken
quotational gibberish lines. This ungainly sight is a digital horror.

Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages (NAPALM) is here to help
educate you about cultivating a positive and blossoming reading
experience without the word wall weeds choking the binary blooms.

<trim> your talk.
<snip> your screed.
<redact> your rant.
<condense> your caterwaul.

For Heaven's sake, cut it out, literally. Trim the phatt phrum yer
portly posts, please!

--

Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages

[17] msgcode : O4PQZUHYYJ2WQWXB634VQVIYWEQE7KUK7YAZRL

R Kym Horsell

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 3:30:13 AMSep 18
to
In alt.astronomy NAPALM <tr...@your.post> wrote:
> Salutations to ye netizens of ye olde Usenet. Do any of you know how to
> trim your posts before submitting?
>
> I have to spend most of my Usenet reading time scrolling past quoted
> text, rather than reading. Many posts appear as gangly hydras of broken
> quotational gibberish lines. This ungainly sight is a digital horror.
...

I think it's time to upgrade from a 300 baud modem.

I've studied up the offers from the ISP's in my area and managed to get
50 GB of broadband for $50 per year. Most of it rolls over from year to year.
Since I'm blind I don't need to see any youtubes, tic toks or similar stuff.
I figure people still using USENET then you're probably in a similar boat.

Thomas Koenig

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 5:39:28 AMSep 18
to
NAPALM <tr...@your.post> schrieb:


> Salutations to ye netizens of ye olde Usenet. Do any of you know how to
> trim your posts before submitting?

Yes, I do. I also know not to post to irrelevant groups, and
how to mark crossposts and how to set Followup-To: lines, which
apparently you don't.

Why your post went to alt.bible, sci.crypt, news.groups
and alt.astronomy is a bit of a mystery. I am replying to
alt.folklore.computers only.


> I have to spend most of my Usenet reading time scrolling past quoted
> text, rather than reading. Many posts appear as gangly hydras of broken
> quotational gibberish lines. This ungainly sight is a digital horror.

I beg to differ. If you are replying to a certain part of the text,
it is good form to quote that part, and then reply (like I am doing
here). This way, context is preserved.

> Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages (NAPALM) is here to help
> educate you about cultivating a positive and blossoming reading
> experience without the word wall weeds choking the binary blooms.
>
><trim> your talk.
><snip> your screed.
><redact> your rant.
><condense> your caterwaul.

I have no idea what the second, third and fourth sentences mean.
Maybe, as somebody who advocates clear writing, you should try it
yourself.

> For Heaven's sake, cut it out, literally. Trim the phatt phrum yer
> portly posts, please!

Likewise.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 7:00:03 AMSep 18
to
On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 07:30:05 -0000 (UTC)
R Kym Horsell <k...@kymhorsell.com> wrote:

> I think it's time to upgrade from a 300 baud modem.

I recall hearing an opinion that there was no point in anything
faster than a 300 baud modem since that was about as fast as he could
comfortably read text and faster than he could type. I concluded that he
didn't pay the phone bills.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Kerr-Mudd, John

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 7:52:38 AMSep 18
to
On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 02:27:20 -0500
NAPALM <tr...@your.post> wrote:

xposted; suspect troll.


fu set to binbucket

> --
>
> Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages
>
> [17] msgcode : O4PQZUHYYJ2WQWXB634VQVIYWEQE7KUK7YAZRL


--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

R Kym Horsell

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 8:19:26 AMSep 18
to
In alt.astronomy Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 07:30:05 -0000 (UTC)
> R Kym Horsell <k...@kymhorsell.com> wrote:
>
>> I think it's time to upgrade from a 300 baud modem.
>
> I recall hearing an opinion that there was no point in anything
> faster than a 300 baud modem since that was about as fast as he could
> comfortably read text and faster than he could type. I concluded that he
> didn't pay the phone bills.

I guess the key concept we're looking for is "filtering".
I often post articles of 100 lines or more. Looking over a sample
they are about 5KB on avg.

On my el-cheapo current connection that would upload in around 1 mS
on my newsreader.
It takes me around 1/3 of a sec to react to the upload.
Then it takes me another 1/3 of a sec to type the character that takes
me to the first non-comment line in the post.
(I'll gloss over the text-to-speech part so I know what it says).
I takes me probably a second to decided if it's worth reading any more
and another 1/3 of a secont to hit "q". ;)

Man. Hoomins are slow!

--
[Small Numbers:]
Try to hold your breath continuously for .00003% of your lifetime.
It's such a teeny tiny percent it should be easy!

Scott Dorsey

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 8:30:51 AMSep 18
to
In article <20220918125236.f57d...@127.0.0.1>,
Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 02:27:20 -0500
>NAPALM <tr...@your.post> wrote:
>
>xposted; suspect troll.
>
>
>fu set to binbucket
>
>> --
>>
>> Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages
>>
>> [17] msgcode : O4PQZUHYYJ2WQWXB634VQVIYWEQE7KUK7YAZRL

He was likely a troll, but he was a troll with a good message, and he didn't
top-post. Please don't top-post.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Kerr-Mudd, John

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 10:43:58 AMSep 18
to
On 18 Sep 2022 12:30:49 -0000
klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> In article <20220918125236.f57d...@127.0.0.1>,
> Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> >On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 02:27:20 -0500
> >NAPALM <tr...@your.post> wrote:
> >

this is where my [snipped] message should have appeared.

> >xposted; suspect troll.
> >
> >
> >fu set to binbucket
> >
> >> --
> >>
> >> Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages
> >>
> >> [17] msgcode : O4PQZUHYYJ2WQWXB634VQVIYWEQE7KUK7YAZRL
>
> He was likely a troll, but he was a troll with a good message, and he didn't
> top-post. Please don't top-post.

I agree. No-one should top-post. I don't. I may have snipped badly, but I
didn't top-post.

But you forgot to mention that you'd cancelled the followups, so I guess
we're even.


> --scott

[misleading non-sig text left in]

Charlie Gibbs

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 12:15:58 PMSep 18
to
On 2022-09-18, Thomas Koenig <tko...@netcologne.de> wrote:

> NAPALM <tr...@your.post> schrieb:
>
>> <trim> your talk.
>> <snip> your screed.
>> <redact> your rant.
>> <condense> your caterwaul.
>
> I have no idea what the second, third and fourth sentences mean.
> Maybe, as somebody who advocates clear writing, you should try it
> yourself.

Give him a break. He's just having some fun with
a lot of alluring alliteration.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.
X I'm really at ac.dekanfrus | Linux is anarchy.
/ \ if you read it the right way. | Pick your poison.

Charlie Gibbs

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 12:15:59 PMSep 18
to
On 2022-09-18, NAPALM <tr...@your.post> wrote:

> Salutations to ye netizens of ye olde Usenet. Do any of you know how to
> trim your posts before submitting?
>
> I have to spend most of my Usenet reading time scrolling past quoted
> text, rather than reading. Many posts appear as gangly hydras of broken
> quotational gibberish lines. This ungainly sight is a digital horror.

And, unfortunately, it is taken by many as an excuse to top-post.

In keeping with the topic, the rest of the message is snipped. :-)
(And followups are trimmed to a.f.c.)

Dennis Boone

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 2:17:22 PMSep 18
to
> Give him a break. He's just having some fun with
> a lot of alluring alliteration.

Next thing he'll be shattering sheet glass in the shithouse.

De
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages