The Original Usenet paper from Usenix 1980

Jason Evans

Jan 8, 2022, 1:14:24 AMJan 8
I'd been looking for this for a long time and when I found it, I forgot to
share. Anyway, here it is:

https://archive.org/details/usenet_a_general_access_unix_network_1980/
mode/2up

A.T. Murray

Jan 8, 2022, 2:05:15 AMJan 8
Thanks for posting the information.

Mentifex here made his first Usenet post on 28 January 1985:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/net.ai/IJpSNRGEE7w/70BtsqcpRDoJ
"Linguistic Mind-Model"

http://ai.neocities.org/RoboMind.html -- a typical Mentifex AI webpage.

Bob Eager

Jan 8, 2022, 2:27:23 AMJan 8
I first posted around 1982, but the Google Groups search is so bad that I
can't find it!

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

D.J.

Jan 8, 2022, 4:40:39 PMJan 8
On 8 Jan 2022 07:27:21 GMT, Bob Eager <news...@eager.cx> wrote:
>On Fri, 07 Jan 2022 23:05:14 -0800, A.T. Murray wrote:
>
>> On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 10:14:24 PM UTC-8, Jason Evans wrote:
>>> I'd been looking for this for a long time and when I found it, I forgot
>>> to share. Anyway, here it is:
>>>
>>> https://archive.org/details/usenet_a_general_access_unix_network_1980/
>>> mode/2up
>>
>> Thanks for posting the information.
>>
>> Mentifex here made his first Usenet post on 28 January 1985:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/net.ai/IJpSNRGEE7w/70BtsqcpRDoJ
>> "Linguistic Mind-Model"
>>
>> http://ai.neocities.org/RoboMind.html -- a typical Mentifex AI webpage.
>
>I first posted around 1982, but the Google Groups search is so bad that I
>can't find it!

I think they have lost posts from before 2000. I was looking for posts
from before 2000, another newsgroup, and couldn't find them. They were
there at one time.
--
Jim

Grant Taylor

Jan 8, 2022, 6:03:05 PMJan 8
On 1/8/22 2:40 PM, D.J. wrote:
> I think they have lost posts from before 2000. I was looking for posts
> from before 2000, another newsgroup, and couldn't find them. They
> were there at one time.

IMHO Google Groups is okay for a walled garden group messaging system.
But I think it is an apathetic Usenet interface, at best.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

John Levine

Jan 8, 2022, 6:08:21 PMJan 8
According to D.J. <chuckt...@gmail.com>:

>>I first posted around 1982, but the Google Groups search is so bad that I
>>can't find it!
>
>I think they have lost posts from before 2000. I was looking for posts
>from before 2000, another newsgroup, and couldn't find them. They were
>there at one time.

Their archive isn't complete but they still have some of my messages from 1985.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Joe Pfeiffer