Re: Resurrection of Wordstar documents (was: NASA Had To Bring in the OLD Guys to Fix Hubble Telescope - Broader Message ?)

25.BZ959

Jun 30, 2022, 10:02:32 PMJun 30
On 6/30/22 6:34 PM, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 19:13:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Heh... I still have WordStar 6.0 running under xdosemu on this
>>> machine.
>>> Just yesterday I printed off a dozen or so QSL cards that I crafted in
>>> PCL-5 Back In The Day.
>>> I've had WordStar on all my machines over the years -- starting with
>>> WordStar 2.0 on CP/M. WordStar 6.0 was the last decent version.
>>> After that the wheels started coming off.
>>
>> Joes Own Editor does perfect wordstar `emulation.
>
> Does it make use of the "Wordstar Diamond" too? Awesome then. I miss it.
>
> Sure, you can reassign keys from probably any other editor for that
> <https://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WordStarDiamond>. Of course you
> lose default functions. Like the Diamond uses "d", which for example vi
> uses to delete stuff instead of moving the cursor.
>
> I suggest to continue in the folklore group. F'up2.

The old Turbo Pascal used WordStar commands through
several generations. A widely used, and widely useful,
bit of software.

If it needs a GUI, I still use Lazarus/FPC.

John Goerzen

Jul 1, 2022, 3:32:00 PMJul 1
On 2022-07-01, 25.BZ959 <25B...@nada.net> wrote:
> The old Turbo Pascal used WordStar commands through
> several generations. A widely used, and widely useful,
> bit of software.

That reminded me - I never used WordStar (WordPerfect instead) but I remember
Borland saying all their products were using those Wordstar keybindings. That
includes not just Turbo Pascal, but also Sidekick (the DOS TSR) and Borland C++.

When I moved to FreeBSD and Linux, I used the editor joe for a long time as it
let me continue with those keybindings.

John

The Natural Philosopher

Jul 2, 2022, 10:03:06 AMJul 2
On 30/06/2022 23:34, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 19:13:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Heh... I still have WordStar 6.0 running under xdosemu on this
>>> machine.
>>> Just yesterday I printed off a dozen or so QSL cards that I crafted in
>>> PCL-5 Back In The Day.
>>> I've had WordStar on all my machines over the years -- starting with
>>> WordStar 2.0 on CP/M. WordStar 6.0 was the last decent version.
>>> After that the wheels started coming off.
>>
>> Joes Own Editor does perfect wordstar `emulation.
>
> Does it make use of the "Wordstar Diamond" too? Awesome then. I miss it.
Oh yes.
If you start it in wordstar emulation mode

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Kurt Weiske

Jul 3, 2022, 10:38:50 AMJul 3
To: 25.BZ959
-=> 25.BZ959 wrote to alt.folklore.computers,comp.os.linux.misc <=-

25> The old Turbo Pascal used WordStar commands through
25> several generations. A widely used, and widely useful,
25> bit of software.

I run a BBS, and do most of my BBSing in DOSBOX on a modern OS. Inside the
dosbox is an environment I've used since 1991 or so - a QWK message reader,
DOS utilities including Xtree, and Qedit, a nice text editor that uses the
Wordstar key bindings. I'm working that ctrl-K muscle memory every day.

kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
| 1:218/700@fidonet

... When in doubt, predict that the trend will continue.
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* realitycheckBBS - Aptos, CA - telnet://realitycheckbbs.org