Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?

Anthony Cuozzo

Jan 11, 2024, 6:18:42 PMJan 11
Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?

I see that comp.lang.c gets a fair bit of daily traffic. I heard that a
few "retrocomputing" groups still have activity, but I can't easily
determine which ones.

Thanks,
--Anthony Cuozzo

Scott Alfter

Jan 11, 2024, 6:35:23 PMJan 11
In article <jH_nN.52168$TSTa....@fx47.iad>,
Anthony Cuozzo <ant...@cuozzo.us> wrote:
>Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?

comp.sys.apple2 still sees a bit of traffic.

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Bryan

Jan 11, 2024, 7:31:04 PMJan 11
comp.os.cpm gets a decent amount of traffic.

Charlie Gibbs

Jan 11, 2024, 8:08:46 PMJan 11
On 2024-01-11, Anthony Cuozzo <ant...@cuozzo.us> wrote:

> Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?
>
> I see that comp.lang.c gets a fair bit of daily traffic. I heard that a
> few "retrocomputing" groups still have activity, but I can't easily
> determine which ones.

comp.sys.raspberry-pi is pretty active. Some groups, e.g.
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32, have been overrun by
spammers. I use slrn, and have added stanzas like this
to ~/News/Score:

[comp.*.*]
Score: =-9999
Expires: 9/14/2024
Newsgroup: comp\.*\.*

[comp.*.*.*]
Score: =-9999
Expires: 9/14/2024
Newsgroup: comp\.*\.*\.*

This get rid of the spam, but in most groups there is
almost nothing left.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | The Internet is like a big city:
\ / <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid> | it has plenty of bright lights and

Jan van den Broek

Jan 12, 2024, 1:08:20 AMJan 12
2024-01-11, Anthony Cuozzo <ant...@cuozzo.us> schrieb:
> Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?
>
> I see that comp.lang.c gets a fair bit of daily traffic. I heard that a
> few "retrocomputing" groups still have activity, but I can't easily
> determine which ones.

comp.lang.python
comp.misc
comp.os.linux.misc
comp.sys.raspberry-pi

--
Jan v/d Broek balg...@dds.nl

"We're through being cool."

bilegeek

Jan 12, 2024, 1:35:16 AMJan 12
alt.sys.pdp10

David Goodwin

Jan 12, 2024, 5:06:07 AMJan 12
In article <jH_nN.52168$TSTa....@fx47.iad>, ant...@cuozzo.us says...

> Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?

comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

comp.os.vms was still alive until overrun with spam recently.

Julieta Shem

Jan 12, 2024, 9:48:34 AMJan 12
Anthony Cuozzo <ant...@cuozzo.us> writes:

> Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?

Take note of comp.lang.lisp.

OrangeFish

Jan 12, 2024, 9:59:03 AMJan 12
On 2024-01-11 18:18, Anthony Cuozzo wrote:
> Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?

alt.folklore.computers
comp.compilers (moderated)
comp.arch
comp.arch.embedded
comp.lang.ada
comp.lang.forth
comp.lang.scheme
comp.text.tex

As usual, traffic varies with the seasons and postings.

Peter Dean

Jan 12, 2024, 11:49:03 AMJan 12
comp.lang.tcl

Rob

Jan 12, 2024, 2:17:03 PMJan 12
Still is if you're on the right server.

Rich Alderson

Jan 12, 2024, 5:36:50 PMJan 12
David Goodwin <david+...@zx.net.nz> writes:

> In article <jH_nN.52168$TSTa....@fx47.iad>, ant...@cuozzo.us says...

>> Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?

> comp.os.vms was still alive until overrun with spam recently.

Simple spam filters have kept c.o.v very much alive, TYVM.

--
Rich Alderson ne...@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,

Vir Campestris

Jan 30, 2024, 12:19:34 PMJan 30
comp.arch has some traffic. I only found it recently.

Andy

Joy Beeson

Jan 30, 2024, 8:33:26 PMJan 30
On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 18:18:37 -0500, Anthony Cuozzo <ant...@cuozzo.us>
wrote:

> Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?

There was a new post in alt.comp.os.windows-98se today.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Mike Spencer

Jan 31, 2024, 1:58:38 AMJan 31

<
>> Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?
>>
>> I see that comp.lang.c gets a fair bit of daily traffic. I heard that a
>> few "retrocomputing" groups still have activity, but I can't easily
>> determine which ones.

comp.os.cpm has a steady trickle of on-topic posts.

(I just look in occasionally to see if anybody else is keen to
reminisce about the Osborne I. Not many.)

> comp.arch has some traffic. I only found it recently.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jan 31, 2024, 4:14:28 AMJan 31
On 31 Jan 2024 02:58:33 -0400
I shall subscribe at once!
The first 'PC' I used was a NewBrain (I think?) - it ran CPM anyhow.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 31, 2024, 5:30:04 AMJan 31
On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:14:26 +0000
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> I shall subscribe at once!
> The first 'PC' I used was a NewBrain (I think?) - it ran CPM anyhow.

I don't think it was a NewBrain then, running CP/M was a goal but I
don't think it was ever achieved.

The NewBrain was a tiny thing in beige and brown just big enough
for a properly spaced keyboard with tiny keys and a 16 character
alphanumeric (15 segment IIRC) vacuum fluorescent display. The whole thing
about two inches thick. It was designed to be extended with stacking
extension packs - floppies and CP/M were (low) on the todo list when the
project moved from Newbury Labs in Cambridge (where I got involved as a
student) to Grundy.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jan 31, 2024, 7:46:39 AMJan 31
On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:23:14 +0000
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:14:26 +0000
> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> > I shall subscribe at once!
> > The first 'PC' I used was a NewBrain (I think?) - it ran CPM anyhow.
>
> I don't think it was a NewBrain then, running CP/M was a goal but I
> don't think it was ever achieved.

Sorry, it wasn't that name I was grasping for, the device I had some
access to was a dual floppy monochrome thing. It ran Supercalc,
dBaseII and WordStar.

aha!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 31, 2024, 8:30:03 AMJan 31
On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:46:36 +0000
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Sorry, it wasn't that name I was grasping for, the device I had some

I thought so, the Newbrain seemed unlikely it was fun to work on
but it really missed the direction of the market totally.

> access to was a dual floppy monochrome thing. It ran Supercalc,
> dBaseII and WordStar.
>
> aha!
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

Ah yes that was a much nicer piece of kit.

Andy Burns

Feb 2, 2024, 4:13:26 AMFeb 2
Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

I remember the "chong" noise when you simultaneously hit the two red
reset buttons at the corners of the main keyboard and the disc drives
tried to knacker your floppy ...

wib...@bibble.com.invalid

Feb 2, 2024, 1:34:56 PMFeb 2
comp.answers
comp.lang.fortran
comp.os.vms
comp.sys.raspberry-pi

All have new posts today

--
NNNN

wib...@bibble.com.invalid

Feb 2, 2024, 1:38:35 PMFeb 2
Comp.risks too.
--
NNNN

Julieta Shem

Feb 2, 2024, 5:29:06 PMFeb 2
"wib...@bibble.com.invalid" <wib...@bibble.com.invalid> writes:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:19:31 +0000, Vir Campestris
> <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 11/01/2024 23:18, Anthony Cuozzo wrote:
>>> Which other computing-related newsgroups are still alive?

[...]

> comp.answers

Not in eternal-september.org.

Sn!pe

Feb 2, 2024, 5:32:59 PMFeb 2
It's there in E-S's list

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon says:
The first duty of government is defence of the realm.

Julieta Shem

Feb 2, 2024, 8:37:50 PMFeb 2
snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) writes:

> Julieta Shem <js...@yaxenu.org> wrote:
>
>> "wib...@bibble.com.invalid" <wib...@bibble.com.invalid> writes:

>> [...]
>>
>> > comp.answers
>>
>> Not in eternal-september.org.
>
> It's there in E-S's list

Sure, but it's not getting daily messages as claimed.

David LaRue

Feb 2, 2024, 8:59:36 PMFeb 2
Julieta Shem <js...@yaxenu.org> wrote in news:87le82b...@yaxenu.org:
So follow it anyway to see what/who posts.

I follow about 330 groups on three different servers. I have the news
reader set to only display the groups with activity. I can look at all
groups if I choose.

I recommend comp.risks as was mentioned by another poster. That group is
approximately a monthly list of computer related failures/risks that have
been reported in the news. Its not very active, but it is very
interesting to read. There is also a web site with all the past years of
risks and common problems. In April there will be the usual "made up"
risks contributed by readers. Sometimes PGN mixes true and made up
issues in the same post.

wib...@bibble.com.invalid

Feb 3, 2024, 4:55:52 AMFeb 3
On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 22:37:47 -0300, Julieta Shem <js...@yaxenu.org>
wrote:
You asked which were still alive, not which had daily posts.
David LaRue has described comp.risks very well. Yesterday's post
included an item about the blowout of the Boeing plane.
--
NNNN

Bryan

Feb 3, 2024, 7:39:39 AMFeb 3
c.risks is purely the digest of the Risks mailing list, so it only gets
a post when the digest has enough messages.

The main page with active feeds is here: http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/

I used to get the digest via email, but the last time I switched
addresses the mailman didn't seem to want to respond properly. I
submitted a trouble ticket to the names supposedly associated with the
list, but received no reply. You may have better luck.

Julieta Shem

Feb 3, 2024, 1:15:18 PMFeb 3
"wib...@bibble.com.invalid" <wib...@bibble.com.invalid> writes:

> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 22:37:47 -0300, Julieta Shem <js...@yaxenu.org>
> wrote:
>
>>snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) writes:

>>> It's there in E-S's list
>>
>>Sure, but it's not getting daily messages as claimed.
> You asked which were still alive, not which had daily posts.
> David LaRue has described comp.risks very well.

I mentioned comp.answers, not comp.risks. If alive means it exists,
then excuse me.