TECO for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X

Christian Brunschen

Oct 19, 2012, 1:42:18 PM10/19/12
I know that I am, comparatively, a youngster in this crowd; but something
just popped up in my Google+ feed that I thought some here might find
interesting.

It seems that TECO is still alive and well, and ported to run on the
current crop of operating systems:

http://almy.us/teco.html

"
Text Editor and COrector

TECO, that grand old text editor your father used when he was young, is
still available! It is powerful and compact precursor to EMACS and has a
completely nongraphical user interface. This is based on Pete Siemsen's
TECOC implementation, and comes with a copy of the original DECUS TECO
documentation.

[ ... ]

Who wrote TECO?
TECO was written by Dan Murphy at Digital Equipment Corporation in 1962.
He's got a website! [ link to http://www.opost.com/dlm ]
"

Best wishes,

// Christian

Elliott Roper

Oct 19, 2012, 4:25:18 PM10/19/12
In article <k5s3dq$ji6$1...@dont-email.me>, Christian Brunschen
<c...@mer.df.lth.se> wrote:

> I know that I am, comparatively, a youngster in this crowd; but something
> just popped up in my Google+ feed that I thought some here might find
> interesting.
>
> It seems that TECO is still alive and well, and ported to run on the
> current crop of operating systems:
>
> http://almy.us/teco.html

Thanks for that Christian. I can confirm the 64 bit Mac version
downloaded unzipped and ran OK.

It felt weird searching the teco manual with emacs. My fingers have 30
years of teco in 'em. My memory it seems is not so hot. I went looking
for the values returned by 0:w= to see why the Mac terminal was not
being a proper VT100. For a second, it felt like my fingers were going
to revolt. "Make up your mind! Are we doing tec or emacs here?"
(Gaack! I just hit 2 escapes to terminate a search string in Emacs!)

This will not end well. <vbg>

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

David Griffith

Oct 19, 2012, 11:01:50 PM10/19/12
Christian Brunschen <c...@mer.df.lth.se> wrote:
> I know that I am, comparatively, a youngster in this crowd; but something
> just popped up in my Google+ feed that I thought some here might find
> interesting.

> It seems that TECO is still alive and well, and ported to run on the
> current crop of operating systems:

> http://almy.us/teco.html

o/~ You can hack anything that you want with just TECO and DDT!

--
David Griffith
davidmy...@acm.org <--- Put my last name where it belongs

Stan Barr

Oct 20, 2012, 11:09:19 AM10/20/12
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:42:18 +0000 (UTC), Christian Brunschen
<c...@mer.df.lth.se> wrote:
> I know that I am, comparatively, a youngster in this crowd; but something
> just popped up in my Google+ feed that I thought some here might find
> interesting.
>
> It seems that TECO is still alive and well, and ported to run on the
> current crop of operating systems:
>
> http://almy.us/teco.html

Thanks for that - linux version duly downloaded...
--
Cheers,
Stan Barr plan.b .at. dsl .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!

Patrick Scheible

Oct 19, 2012, 4:32:40 PM10/19/12
I wonder what Dan Murphy would have thought in 1962 if someone had told
him TECO would still be in use 50 years later.

-- Patrick

jmfbahciv

Oct 22, 2012, 10:51:11 AM10/22/12
David Griffith wrote:
> Christian Brunschen <c...@mer.df.lth.se> wrote:
>> I know that I am, comparatively, a youngster in this crowd; but something
>> just popped up in my Google+ feed that I thought some here might find
>> interesting.
>
>> It seems that TECO is still alive and well, and ported to run on the
>> current crop of operating systems:
>
>> http://almy.us/teco.html
>
> o/~ You can hack anything that you want with just TECO and DDT!

Nitpick. TECO and EDDT.

/BAH

jmfbahciv

Oct 22, 2012, 10:51:20 AM10/22/12
Stan Barr wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:42:18 +0000 (UTC), Christian Brunschen
> <c...@mer.df.lth.se> wrote:
>> I know that I am, comparatively, a youngster in this crowd; but something
>> just popped up in my Google+ feed that I thought some here might find
>> interesting.
>>
>> It seems that TECO is still alive and well, and ported to run on the
>> current crop of operating systems:
>>
>> http://almy.us/teco.html
>>

> Thanks for that - linux version duly downloaded...

Yea, now all we have to do is get the human-friendly
keyboard back so that the pinky can reach the $$.

/BAH

Charlie Gibbs

Oct 22, 2012, 12:35:37 PM10/22/12
In article <PM0004CCA...@ac814669.ipt.aol.com>, See....@aol.com
Perhaps, but it doesn't scan as well when you try to sing it.

(...circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one...)

--
/~\ cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Oct 22, 2012, 12:18:22 PM10/22/12
On 22 Oct 2012 14:51:11 GMT
Yebbut then it don't fit the song, artistic license and all that.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

Rod Speed

Oct 22, 2012, 2:19:20 PM10/22/12

"jmfbahciv" <See....@aol.com> wrote in message
Any half way decent system can remap the keyboard any way you like.

Charles Richmond

Oct 22, 2012, 4:23:36 PM10/22/12
"jmfbahciv" <See....@aol.com> wrote in message
In order to get a *real* keyboard... you'll have to get rid of all those
crappy laptop abominations that purport to be keyboards. :-/

--

numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

Rich Alderson

Oct 22, 2012, 4:58:47 PM10/22/12
davidmy...@acm.org (David Griffith) writes:

> Christian Brunschen <c...@mer.df.lth.se> wrote:
>> I know that I am, comparatively, a youngster in this crowd; but something
>> just popped up in my Google+ feed that I thought some here might find
>> interesting.

>> It seems that TECO is still alive and well, and ported to run on the
>> current crop of operating systems:

>> http://almy.us/teco.html

> o/~ You can hack anything that you want with just TECO and DDT!

There's no "just" in the original. (SRA is an old friend of mine.)

--
Rich Alderson ne...@alderson.users.panix.com
the russet leaves of an autumn oak/inspire once again the failed poet/

Rich Alderson

Oct 22, 2012, 5:21:29 PM10/22/12
jmfbahciv <See....@aol.com> writes:

> David Griffith wrote:

>> o/~ You can hack anything that you want with just TECO and DDT!

> Nitpick. TECO and EDDT.

Hey, Barb,

This song (to wit, "Alice's PDP-10") takes place in the AI Lab at MIT, on
systems running ITS. On such systems, there is no distinction between "EDDT"
and "user DDT"--there is no command processor as such in the monitor (as in
Tops-10) nor a separate user-mode command processing shell (as in TOPS-20),
there is only DDT, and any user can examine any data structure in the entire
system at any time.

In Tops-10 terms, they're running in EDDT all the time, and their version of
DDT has the ability to spawn subprocesses, examine file systems, and all that
happy hoorah. Oh, and remember, this is not a DEC TECO, but the far more
capable MIT version that continued to develop without Murphy's presence.

So quite literally, "You can hack anything you want, with TECO and DDT!"

jmfbahciv

Oct 23, 2012, 10:13:40 AM10/23/12
Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2012 14:51:11 GMT
> jmfbahciv <See....@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> David Griffith wrote:

>> > o/~ You can hack anything that you want with just TECO and DDT!
>> >
>> Nitpick. TECO and EDDT.
>
> Yebbut then it don't fit the song, artistic license and all that.

<GRIN> then you should move the just after hack and before anything.

/BAH

jmfbahciv

Oct 23, 2012, 10:13:43 AM10/23/12
Rich Alderson wrote:
> jmfbahciv <See....@aol.com> writes:
>
>> David Griffith wrote:
>
>>> o/~ You can hack anything that you want with just TECO and DDT!
>
>> Nitpick. TECO and EDDT.
>
> Hey, Barb,
>
> This song (to wit, "Alice's PDP-10") takes place in the AI Lab at MIT, on
> systems running ITS. On such systems, there is no distinction between
"EDDT"
> and "user DDT"--there is no command processor as such in the monitor (as in
> Tops-10) nor a separate user-mode command processing shell (as in TOPS-20),
> there is only DDT, and any user can examine any data structure in the entire
> system at any time.
>
> In Tops-10 terms, they're running in EDDT all the time, and their version of
> DDT has the ability to spawn subprocesses, examine file systems, and all
that
> happy hoorah. Oh, and remember, this is not a DEC TECO, but the far more
> capable MIT version that continued to develop without Murphy's presence.
>
> So quite literally, "You can hack anything you want, with TECO and DDT!"

OK. I don't think I've heard the song.

/BAH

jmfbahciv

Oct 23, 2012, 10:13:42 AM10/23/12
Yea, I know :-(. But I can carry the laptop. I don't know if I can
haul RP06s, card boxes, line printer boxes or magtapes the way I used to.
For that matter, I don't know if I can put 20 DECtapes on my arms the
way I used to.

Pencils behind my ear no longer stay there; where has the natural
stick'um gone?

/BAH

jmfbahciv

Oct 23, 2012, 10:13:40 AM10/23/12
That's the <TAB> key which is useful.

/BAH

Charles Richmond

Oct 23, 2012, 4:09:36 PM10/23/12
> Charles Richmond wrote:
>>
>> [snip...] [snip...] [snip...]
>>
>> In order to get a *real* keyboard... you'll have to get rid of all those
>> crappy laptop abominations that purport to be keyboards. :-/
>
> Yea, I know :-(. But I can carry the laptop. I don't know if I can
> haul RP06s, card boxes, line printer boxes or magtapes the way I used to.
> For that matter, I don't know if I can put 20 DECtapes on my arms the
> way I used to.

Forget the DECtapes... you'd have to go to a computer museum just to read
the DECtapes. Get yourself a few "flash drives". They store more stuff and
are easier to read with a USB port. :-)

I have used a *regular* computer keyboard with a laptop... connected through
a USB port. It ain't a DECWriter (whose keybord is my favorite!!!), but it
beats all to heck the laptop imitations/abominations that claim to be
keyboards.

> Pencils behind my ear no longer stay there; where has the natural
> stick'um gone?

Well then, BAH... if you can't keep a pencil behind your ear, I guess you'll
have to give up the idea of opening your own bodega or general store.
"Pencil behind the ear" is a requirement there.

Charlie Gibbs

Oct 24, 2012, 4:27:21 PM10/24/12
In article <k697u9$ojc$1...@dont-email.me>, nume...@aquaporin4.com
(Charles Richmond) writes:

> "jmfbahciv" <See....@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>> Pencils behind my ear no longer stay there; where has the natural
>> stick'um gone?
>
> Well then, BAH... if you can't keep a pencil behind your ear, I guess
> you'll have to give up the idea of opening your own bodega or general
> store. "Pencil behind the ear" is a requirement there.

Perhaps Barb could have corrective surgery. Tummy tucks, boob jobs,
laser vision correction... why not a little tuck to the ear so that
pencils stay there? If you need it for work it might be covered by
Medicare.

Gene Wirchenko

Oct 24, 2012, 7:44:29 PM10/24/12
On 24 Oct 12 12:27:21 -0800, "Charlie Gibbs" <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <k697u9$ojc$1...@dont-email.me>, nume...@aquaporin4.com
>(Charles Richmond) writes:
>
>> "jmfbahciv" <See....@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Pencils behind my ear no longer stay there; where has the natural
>>> stick'um gone?
>>
>> Well then, BAH... if you can't keep a pencil behind your ear, I guess
>> you'll have to give up the idea of opening your own bodega or general
>> store. "Pencil behind the ear" is a requirement there.
>
>Perhaps Barb could have corrective surgery. Tummy tucks, boob jobs,
>laser vision correction... why not a little tuck to the ear so that
>pencils stay there? If you need it for work it might be covered by
>Medicare.

Why go with a high-tech solution when there could be a simpler
solution? A little discreet padding about the ear, and she is set.
Aren't pen/pencil holders a geek thing?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Peter Flass

Oct 25, 2012, 8:15:11 AM10/25/12
On 10/24/2012 4:27 PM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> In article <k697u9$ojc$1...@dont-email.me>, nume...@aquaporin4.com
> (Charles Richmond) writes:
>
>> "jmfbahciv" <See....@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Pencils behind my ear no longer stay there; where has the natural
>>> stick'um gone?
>>
>> Well then, BAH... if you can't keep a pencil behind your ear, I guess
>> you'll have to give up the idea of opening your own bodega or general
>> store. "Pencil behind the ear" is a requirement there.
>
> Perhaps Barb could have corrective surgery. Tummy tucks, boob jobs,
> laser vision correction... why not a little tuck to the ear so that
> pencils stay there? If you need it for work it might be covered by
> Medicare.

Bubble gum is cheaper.

--
Pete

jmfbahciv

Oct 25, 2012, 9:35:56 AM10/25/12
I had bubble gum in my hair once when I was a child. Since my hair
is ~2' long, your idea is not going to be tested. ;-)

I'd like to be able to see better. My tummy doesn't need tucking
and I'm not trying to attract males so I don't need boobs. Once in
a great while I find myself automatically putting the pencil behind
my ear and notice when it falls down. I don't know what is different.
Is gravity stronger?

These are the same pencils so it can't be the pencils' fault.

/BAH

Stan Dandy Liver

Nov 11, 2012, 5:19:23 PM11/11/12
Lowering the tone, but the "pencil test" is, um, for ladies in their
[cough] "middle ages".

> --
>
> numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

--
[dash dash space newline 4line sig]

Money/Life question

JimP.

Nov 12, 2012, 7:30:51 AM11/12/12
A test for Cooper's Droop is applicable at earleir ages as well.
.
JimP.
--
Brushing aside the thorns so I can see the stars.
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette