Id 1980s arcade video game

Andreas Kohlbach

Dec 26, 2022, 9:35:30 PM12/26/22
F'up2 afc.

Watching a German TV show taking place partially in a bar I noticed not
only the pinball machine (that is Nitro Ground Shaker from 1980), but the
video game left to the door. Please see <http://96.20.145.113/what_game.jpg>
(I leave it for 72 hours).

The episode of the show was likely shot January 1982, so the game might
be from 1981 or earlier. Anyone can identify it?
--
Andreas

Ant

Dec 26, 2022, 10:30:09 PM12/26/22
No clue! What TV show as that? CCed other newsgroups to see if they know. ;)

Also, try asking in https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcades/,
https://www.reddit.com/r/arcade/, https://www.reddit.com/r/mame,
https://www.reddit.com/r/cade, etc.
Merry Christmas and Belated Happy Birthday, Jesus! Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings! Simeon took him [Jesus] in his arms and praised God, saying: "Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace. For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel." --Luke 2:28-32. Still slammy during the holidays!
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Andreas Kohlbach

Dec 29, 2022, 1:27:07 AM12/29/22
Seems I have no luck.

Although I did scale in (not just zoomed) at
<http://96.20.145.113/zoomed_game.jpg> I doubt anyone can ID it. The cab
(it's not even a cab) is non-standard, and still too blurry.

One person guessed it could be Space Invaders.

Also got the name of that German bar. But Google had no
matches. Otherwise i would had tried to contact the current owner (may be
children) if he knew what video game there was 41 years ago.

I'll remove the screen shots in 36 hours.

F'up2 afc again.
--
Andreas

Theo

Dec 29, 2022, 11:07:21 AM12/29/22
In alt.folklore.computers Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Seems I have no luck.
>
> Although I did scale in (not just zoomed) at
> <http://96.20.145.113/zoomed_game.jpg> I doubt anyone can ID it. The cab
> (it's not even a cab) is non-standard, and still too blurry.
>
> One person guessed it could be Space Invaders.

It's interesting that there's no advertising graphics on the cabinet. I'd
expect that a regular cabinet would have that to attract people. The Space
Invaders cabinets have that written in large letters.

It's just a display mounted in a brown surround, and then a desk with some
buttons and graphics. But that doesn't seem to have any writing on it
either.

I would guess it could be something mocked up by the TV set designers: take
a CRT monitor (eg a broadcast one that's synced with the TV cameras, if it
ever needs to 'work'), add a desk with a few buttons and lights, and then
mount in an anonymous cabinet. The advantage of being anonymous is you
don't need to worry about product placement laws, or problems if the
manufacturer doesn't like their product being filmed in an unfavourable
situation.

Alternatively, maybe it's a real cabinet but they put blank brown vinyl over
the logos for anonymisation.

One other thought is that it's not an arcade game, but a video slot machine.
That would explain the various flashing lights on the desk and the buttons
but no joystick. The plain cabinet may be because they didn't need to
advertise (when turned on they could be easily recognised), or laws about
advertising of slot machines. In the UK at least, slot ('fruit') machines
were more common in bars than arcade machines.

Theo

Douglas Miller

Dec 29, 2022, 12:26:09 PM12/29/22
My first thought was "Asteroids", which didn't have a joystick - only buttons to turn, thrust, and fire. Might have been 4 buttons, though (left/right turn). I also seem to recall that it had the monitor mounted on its side (portrait instead of landscape). Could be an early version, or some cheap copy-cat.

Eli the Bearded

Dec 29, 2022, 9:07:16 PM12/29/22
In alt.games.mame, Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Seems I have no luck.
>
> Although I did scale in (not just zoomed) at
> <http://96.20.145.113/zoomed_game.jpg> I doubt anyone can ID it. The cab
> (it's not even a cab) is non-standard, and still too blurry.
>
> One person guessed it could be Space Invaders.

Looks like it has two option buttons and a paddle. It doesn't look like
it has a coin slot. Maybe some obscure "home" console has been been
shoe-horned into a custom cab?

I find IMDB is good for that sometimes for that, people showing off by
populating the Trivia section. TV shows get less attention, and non-US
TV shows probably get really short attention, but worth a peek.

Two video games are identified in the trivia for _Terinator II_ (1991),
Misslle Command and Rampage. In 1983's _Joysticks_ (a terrible film):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085764/trivia/
When Greydon Clark approached game company Midway about using the
image of Pac-Man in the film, he also requested that they allow him
to feature a yet-to-be-released game in order to increase the film's
appeal. The game Midway chose to feature was Satan's Hollow, which
is played in the face-off between King Vidiot and McDorfus.

But none of the games are identified in the pinball heavy _Heavy Traffic_
(1973).

Elijah
------
_Joysticks_ could be a good T&A film if it had more T&A

Johnny Billquist

Dec 30, 2022, 6:21:44 AM12/30/22
On 2022-12-29 18:26, Douglas Miller wrote:
> My first thought was "Asteroids", which didn't have a joystick - only buttons to turn, thrust, and fire. Might have been 4 buttons, though (left/right turn). I also seem to recall that it had the monitor mounted on its side (portrait instead of landscape). Could be an early version, or some cheap copy-cat.

Astroids have 5 buttons. Left, right, thrust, fire, warp. You could get
away without the warp button, but the other four are essential.

So no, I'd say this is definitely not Astroids. And the vertical CRT is
way odd. I was looking around some, without really finding anything
matching.

The artwork above the controls looks maybe like something western, or
desert, which could suggest something like Gun Fight, but the controls
don't seem to make sense at all.

The controls seems to only have three buttons, which could suggest
something like Sea Wolf, but then again, the artwork is nowhere near.
Also below the buttons looks like different targets with some
information. Five of them. Might make sense for something like Sea Wolf,
but again, so many other details suggest it's not.

If there was a thrust lever in there, I would have said Lunar Lander,
but I can't see one. The buttons would make sense there.

The vertical CRT could suggest some breakout variant. Also, it would
increase the chance that this was some vector design.

But in the end, I'm stumped for now.

Johnny