10000th day of Eternal September

Sumireko Usami

Jan 16, 2021, 5:13:09 AM1/16/21
Saturday (January 16) is September 10000, 1993.

Niklas Karlsson

Jan 16, 2021, 6:39:33 AM1/16/21
On 2021-01-16, Sumireko Usami <usasu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Saturday (January 16) is September 10000, 1993.

Didn't Eternal September end when AOL withdrew its Usenet support? 2005,
IIRC.

Niklas
--
For a time, I wrote data analysis code in C on VMS. I drank a lot of
tequila during that time.

Sumireko Usami

Jan 16, 2021, 7:27:08 AM1/16/21
On 2021-01-16 12:39, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
> On 2021-01-16, Sumireko Usami <usasu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Saturday (January 16) is September 10000, 1993.
>
> Didn't Eternal September end when AOL withdrew its Usenet support? 2005,
> IIRC.
>
> Niklas

Hush

Jason Evans

Jan 21, 2021, 5:36:01 AM1/21/21
On 1/16/21 12:39 PM, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
> On 2021-01-16, Sumireko Usami <usasu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Saturday (January 16) is September 10000, 1993.
>
> Didn't Eternal September end when AOL withdrew its Usenet support? 2005,
> IIRC.
>
> Niklas

One could argue that it ended when all of the major ISPs stopped
carrying Usenet as a free service. After that there were only 3 types on
users on Usenet.

1. People who are actually here for conversation
2. Spammers
3. Binary downloaders.

OK, maybe 4 types. The last are the trolls who still linger, add
nothing to the conversation, and only try to cause trouble. Thankfully,
those are getting more and more rare.

Of course, you could also argue that the Eternal September will continue
as long as Google Groups is still around.
__
JE

Rink

Jun 2, 2021, 7:02:37 AM6/2/21
Op 21-1-2021 om 11:35 schreef Jason Evans:
Eternal September ends when there are only in September
new Usenet users and nobody starts in another month.
That will never happen, because nowadays it are not the
schools or universities where people start using Usenet.

So Eternal September ends when all Usenet Newsservers
are shut down.
I think it will take "some" years before that happens.

Rink

Donkey Button

Nov 20, 2021, 12:47:58 PM11/20/21
On 6/2/21 6:02 AM, Rink wrote:

[...]

> Eternal September ends when there are only in September
> new Usenet users and nobody starts in another month.
> That will never happen, because nowadays it are not the
> schools or universities where people start using Usenet.
>
> So Eternal September ends when all Usenet Newsservers
> are shut down.
> I think it will take "some" years before that happens.

The operative word here is "eternal." It's "Eternal" September only if
it never ends. If it were to end then it would not have been Eternal
September. It would have been merely, "Really Long September."

At 10,000 days this is the month of bonzai.

--

Donkey Button