Info about Henry S. Warren Jr.

43 views
Skip to first unread message

Thomas Koenig

unread,
Aug 26, 2021, 1:51:06 AMAug 26
to
Hi,

I'd like to update the Wikipedia article on Hacker's Delight a
little bit, and I find litte information about the author except
that he seems to have worked at IBM for a long time.

Does anybody have a pointer to a short biography or some more info?

(I think this book qualifies as folklore, especially the "lore"
part :-)

Andreas Kohlbach

unread,
Aug 26, 2021, 12:47:46 PMAug 26
to
On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 05:51:04 -0000 (UTC), Thomas Koenig wrote:
>
> I'd like to update the Wikipedia article on Hacker's Delight a
> little bit, and I find litte information about the author except
> that he seems to have worked at IBM for a long time.

Suppose you found <https://www.chessprogramming.org/Henry_S._Warren,_Jr.>
already?

> Does anybody have a pointer to a short biography or some more info?

I also find a snipped in Google Books at
<https://books.google.ca/books/about/Hacker_s_Delight.html?id=iBNKMspIlqEC&redir_esc=y>. Not
sure if this is helpful.
--
Andreas

Thomas Koenig

unread,
Aug 29, 2021, 8:00:39 AMAug 29
to
Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> schrieb:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 05:51:04 -0000 (UTC), Thomas Koenig wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to update the Wikipedia article on Hacker's Delight a
>> little bit, and I find litte information about the author except
>> that he seems to have worked at IBM for a long time.
>
> Suppose you found <https://www.chessprogramming.org/Henry_S._Warren,_Jr.>
> already?

That page is currently empty, but it certainly makes sense for all
the bit-twiddling hacks in the book to be used in chess programming.

>
>> Does anybody have a pointer to a short biography or some more info?
>
> I also find a snipped in Google Books at
><https://books.google.ca/books/about/Hacker_s_Delight.html?id=iBNKMspIlqEC&redir_esc=y>. Not
> sure if this is helpful.

It is, thanks!

So he worked for IBM on computers from the 704 to PowerPC. He has
certainly seen a lot of change...

What I found also interesting is the scathing remarks he put
in "Hacker's Delight" about the S/360 floating point format.
Factually, these are correct, but it certainly feels like he was
repeating an argument he had made at the time, and the decision
went the other way (as we all know).

Anyway, I did update the article, so people can get a general idea
of what the book is about (and not buy it and think they will get
fast algorithms for database access, or a guide how to break into
computer systems).

Thomas Koenig

unread,
Aug 29, 2021, 12:59:53 PMAug 29
to
Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> schrieb:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 12:00:37 -0000 (UTC), Thomas Koenig wrote:
>>
>> Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> schrieb:
>>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 05:51:04 -0000 (UTC), Thomas Koenig wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I'd like to update the Wikipedia article on Hacker's Delight a
>>>> little bit, and I find litte information about the author except
>>>> that he seems to have worked at IBM for a long time.
>>>
>>> Suppose you found <https://www.chessprogramming.org/Henry_S._Warren,_Jr.>
>>> already?
>>
>> That page is currently empty, but it certainly makes sense for all
>> the bit-twiddling hacks in the book to be used in chess programming.
>
> Not empty here. The first (among several more) paragraph says:

Ah, the trailing dot was stripped from the URL. That explains it :-)
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages