Run! It's the Delphioids!

Joel Furr

Jan 7, 1994, 9:27:12 PM1/7/94

Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
the net?

Did they open up booths in mental institutions around the country,
handing out modems and accounts?

dwin...@nyx10.cs.du.edu

Jan 7, 1994, 10:03:26 PM1/7/94
In article <1994Jan8.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks that one of the requirements
of getting a delphi account are that you must be mentally unstable.

MegaZone

Jan 7, 1994, 10:31:27 PM1/7/94
dwin...@nyx10.cs.du.edu () shaped the electrons to say:

>I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks that one of the requirements
>of getting a delphi account are that you must be mentally unstable.

They were giving away free trials when they first got a full net
connection.

So I tried it...

Yuck, what a miserable system. I've been shell for years, going to
Delphi was like putting on a straight-jacket.

I suppose all the WinDoze users and BBSers would be used to it...
But they are really missing out.

I send anyone local to world.std.com

--
mega...@wpi.wpi.edu mega...@world.std.com mega...@hotblack.schunix.dmc.com
"I have one prejudice, and that is against stupidity. Use your mind, think!"

anta...@news.delphi.com

Jan 8, 1994, 12:09:33 AM1/8/94
jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

Yeah, us weirdos.

You have a real endearing and friendly way of saying things. You
may take the foot out of your mouth now.

No wonder so many people can't stand you,
- net.spy!

Paul Tomblin

Jan 8, 1994, 12:36:34 AM1/8/94
anta...@news.delphi.com (ANTA...@DELPHI.COM) writes:

>jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

>>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
>>the net?

>Yeah, us weirdos.
[typical delphoid jibberish deleted]

I think Joel's point has been nicely proven, don't you?

--
Paul Tomblin - snide Canadian.
Joel Furr can have my Vicki Robinson sig when he prys it from my cold, dead

davis robert

Jan 8, 1994, 11:29:44 AM1/8/94

>Did they open up booths in mental institutions around the country,
>handing out modems and accounts?

[As music from "The Twilight Zone" plays in the background...]

I suspect that this is a plot being hatched by a number of
conspirators, including the likes of Delphi and people who operate
MsSsy-DOS type BBS systems. In addition to giving out terminals and
modems to the most demented people in mental institutions, they're
also providing net access to other victims of dementia such as people
who read, and believe everything that they read in, magazines such as
PC-World.

--
Robert D. Davis |
...uunet!mystica!rdd | Eccentrics have more fun!

R S Rodgers

Jan 8, 1994, 12:26:17 PM1/8/94
In article <2gmn1o...@umbc8.umbc.edu>,

davis robert <rda...@gl.umbc.edu> wrote:
>I suspect that this is a plot being hatched by a number of
>conspirators, including the likes of Delphi and people who operate
>MsSsy-DOS type BBS systems. In addition to giving out terminals and
>modems to the most demented people in mental institutions, they're
>also providing net access to other victims of dementia such as people
>who read, and believe everything that they read in, magazines such as
>PC-World.

No, it's worse: Omni.

--
The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.

dhug...@ins.infonet.net

Jan 8, 1994, 1:52:30 PM1/8/94

well, those of us on delphi consider the sources of our flamers---

a delphi person

Karl W. Reinsch

Jan 8, 1994, 2:28:37 PM1/8/94

In a previous article, anta...@news.delphi.com (ANTA...@DELPHI.COM) says:
>jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>
>>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
>>the net?
>
>>Did they open up booths in mental institutions around the country,
>>handing out modems and accounts?
>
>Yeah, us weirdos.

"Of course it's perpetually September for Delphi users, isn't it?"

-karl. [with apologies to Paul Tomblin]

Eddie Saxe

Jan 8, 1994, 2:40:28 PM1/8/94
In alt.online-service.delphi, dhug...@ins.infonet.net writes:
>In article <ab401.758007394@freenet>, ab...@freenet.carleton.ca (Paul Tomblin) writes:
>>anta...@news.delphi.com (ANTA...@DELPHI.COM) writes:

>>>Yeah, us weirdos.
>>[typical delphoid jibberish deleted]
>>
>>I think Joel's point has been nicely proven, don't you?
>
>well, those of us on delphi consider the sources of our flamers---
>
>a delphi person

Wow! Two for two! Can we get a third?

Eddie
--
Pixel-planes research group Developing linearly scalable VR technology

Kevin Podsiadlik

Jan 8, 1994, 3:01:39 PM1/8/94

Worse. They advertised in PC Magazine and BYTE.

I signed up... mainly to get around MichNet's eccentric (IMHO)
prohibition of "game playing". Another poster's description of
the news software as wearing a straightjacket was apt indeed.
Further (warlorders take note), they don't have an obvious way
of setting a .signature file, so any signature is almost
certainly manually included...

Then again, Delphi must have some good users, too. Team DELPHI
has taken one or two Internet Hunts, so someone over there must
have a clue.

I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated
users anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie,
America Online, BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably
have their share of jerks.

Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming, and it ain't
gonna be pretty when they get here.

--
Kevin J. Podsiadlik
NEW E-mail: k...@garnet.msen.com

dubu...@ins.infonet.net

Jan 8, 1994, 9:33:25 PM1/8/94
In article <2gn27c...@angel.cs.unc.edu>, sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes: >Wow! Two for two! Can we get a third? Eddie, Why bother you elitist mind has already been made up. All us non college Internet users will scamper right away and have nothing to do again with Internet, I mean what could we contribute. As for the two for two, give us a few days... ********************************************************************* * John Dalton * Dubu...@ins.infonet.net * * Dubuque,Iowa * Johnd...@delphi.com * * #800 Dialup/14,400 access >>>>>>Email: In...@ins.infonet.net * * NetIowa-"If you Build it..They will come" * *********************************************************************

dubu...@ins.infonet.net

Jan 8, 1994, 9:39:29 PM1/8/94
In article <2gn3f3$1...@garnet.msen.com>, k...@garnet.msen.com (Kevin Podsiadlik) writes: >I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated >users anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie, >America Online, BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably >have their share of jerks. Sir, as does some of the .com locations as well :), say msen.com. >Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming, and it ain't >gonna be pretty when they get here. Kevin, Personally, looking at this hate spewing crap, it looks like it was already ugly...keep in mind their are all types in all facets of life, including the 'Net :> >Synchronize your killfiles I will be sure to do that.... ********************************************************************* * John Dalton * Dubu...@ins.infonet.net * * Dubuque,Iowa * Johnd...@delphi.com * * #800 Dialup/14,400 access >>>>>>Email: In...@ins.infonet.net * * NetIowa-"If you Build it..They will come" * *********************************************************************

Eddie Saxe

Jan 8, 1994, 9:49:07 PM1/8/94
In misc.test, alt.online-service.delphi, alt.folklore.computers, alt.folklore.urban, alt.config, news.misc, news.admin.misc, dubu...@ins.infonet.net writes:
>In article <2gn27c...@angel.cs.unc.edu>, sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes:
>>Wow! Two for two! Can we get a third?
>Eddie,
> Why bother you elitist mind has already been made up. All us non college
>Internet users will scamper right away and have nothing to do again with
>Internet, I mean what could we contribute.
> As for the two for two, give us a few days...

1) There are plenty of non-college people who post to USENET (*NOT* Internet---
read the news.newusers.questions group for the "Welcome to USENET" message) who
have had no trouble at all learning the ropes of USENET before opening their
big mouths---and some of them have *really* big mouths.

2) USENET rule #6: don't post to misc.test unless you understand the
consequences.

Paul Tomblin

Jan 8, 1994, 10:20:14 PM1/8/94
sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes:

>1) There are plenty of non-college people who post to USENET (*NOT* Internet---
>read the news.newusers.questions group for the "Welcome to USENET" message) who
>have had no trouble at all learning the ropes of USENET before opening their
>big mouths---and some of them have *really* big mouths.

I resemble that remark, Eddie.

Yes, way back when I started on this net (what was that? 8 years ago?
Something like that), I was quiet, read news.announce and
news.announce.newusers (or was that aorund yet? I forget), read the grups
that I intended to post to, and generally didn't do anything to embarrass
myself as a clueless newbie until I'd learnt the ropes. Of course, now I
embarrass myself on a daily basis, but that's only when I *want* to.

Of course, having lost a job at least *partly* due to something I said on the
net, I'm a lot more careful about what I say when posting from my office
account.

Paul "former newbie - never clueless" Tomblin

darren rion hall

Jan 8, 1994, 10:59:48 PM1/8/94
<<*>> John Dalton writes:
<2gn3f3$1...@garnet.msen.com>, k...@garnet.msen.com (Kevin Podsiadlik) writes:
>> I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated users
>> anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie, America Online,
>> BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably have their share of
>> jerks.

is there much difference between an on-line service and the *.edu. one is a
public service for the greater public (the "masses"), and the other is the
crucible of (generally) youth people, seeking to further their understand of
social intereaction. each group possesses certain traits which can be annoying,
yet to characterize and categorize the entire group as such, is rather
intolerant.

dubuque> Sir, as does some of the .com locations as well :), say msen.com.

as does every group... if you wish to classify, the human race pretty much
depicts a group of people who possess a lack of sanity found throughout this
world.

>> Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming, and it ain't gonna be
>> pretty when they get here.

an elitism which i thought to mainly inhabit such areas as this nations high
schools. i guess i was wrong... in that it evolves to a high sophistication of
elitism... yet, it is still, in every way, elitism.

dubuque> Kevin, Personally, looking at this hate spewing crap, it looks like
dubuque> it was already ugly...keep in mind their are all types in all facets
dubuque> of life, including the 'Net :>

>> Synchronize your killfiles
dubuque> I will be sure to do that.... jd

hmm... i begin to wonder, as to the benefit of kill-files. to totally avoid
differing view points seems to be self-defeating. of course there are those who
can do nothing but spew out total BS, there are others who seem to be
exceptions to the norm or set standard. it may not be useful to caution... but
at least consider that the source of the newsfeed may not be the end all, be
all of the judgement for group of individuals.
--

-darren rion hall-

/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/==/ ri...@wpi.edu /==/==/
a darkness, self imposed. a wall of fine consistancy...
the hand betrays the thoughts and dreams of a soul...

Paul Callahan

Jan 8, 1994, 11:50:08 PM1/8/94
ri...@wpi.WPI.EDU (darren rion hall) writes:

>>> Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming, and it ain't gonna be
>>> pretty when they get here.

>an elitism which i thought to mainly inhabit such areas as this nations high
>schools. i guess i was wrong... in that it evolves to a high sophistication of
>elitism... yet, it is still, in every way, elitism.

One need not be elitist to express concerns of being drowned by sheer numbers.
The concept of Usenet may simply fail to scale up. The problem with the
so-called masses is not that they are less intelligent than college students,
but that they are... massive. Their increased presence changes the nature of
Usenet. For example, it is no longer possible to read every article posted to
any but the most specialized group. For good or bad, there is almost no
notion of net-wide celebrity status anymore. The best one can do is achieve
such status within a small set of groups. These things are fundamental changes
in the nature of Usenet. It's like the switch from a town to a city.

It would be elitist to try to stop the trend, but I still must admit I get
nervous when I hear the increasing news coverage of the Internet. Just as
when a pristine tropical island receives sudden publicity, and the swarm of
incoming tourists converts it into a commercial wasteland of tacky hotels,
so too, the sudden publicity of the Internet ("the world's largest functioning
Anarchism") will surely turn it into something entirely different from what
was covered in the news reports. It's inevitable.
--
Quick! Get me my colored pencils! I'm having a paradigm shift.
======= Paul Callahan ======= call...@biffvm.cs.jhu.edu =======

ltwi...@news.delphi.com

Jan 9, 1994, 12:11:46 AM1/9/94
>>jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>>
>>>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
>>>the net?
>>
>>>Did they open up booths in mental institutions around the country,
>>>handing out modems and accounts?

HEE HEE HEE HEE HEEEEEeeeee! I hope I can milk this delphi hate thing
for all it's worth. I'm already getting flamed on one group, let's try two!

Do I hear three?

Sincerely,
Lieutenant Wilkes
(of delphi.com)(for now)

Paul Tomblin

Jan 9, 1994, 7:32:24 AM1/9/94
ltwi...@news.delphi.com (LTWI...@DELPHI.COM) writes:

>HEE HEE HEE HEE HEEEEEeeeee! I hope I can milk this delphi hate thing
>for all it's worth. I'm already getting flamed on one group, let's try two!

>Do I hear three?

*plonk*

Paul [If you don't understand, ask on talk.bizarre for the FAQ]

Rick Kelly

Jan 9, 1994, 2:53:13 AM1/9/94
Joel Furr (jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu) wrote:

: Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
: the net?

: Did they open up booths in mental institutions around the country,
: handing out modems and accounts?

Basically. They are sending out free introduction cards.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

--

Rick Kelly r...@rmkhome.com r...@bedford.progress.com

Rick Kelly

Jan 9, 1994, 2:56:27 AM1/9/94
ANTA...@DELPHI.COM (anta...@news.delphi.com) wrote:
: jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

: Yeah, us weirdos.

See? Here's another one of those "post anything to the net for free for
a week" people.

anta...@news.delphi.com

Jan 9, 1994, 11:03:26 PM1/9/94
r...@rmkhome.com (Rick Kelly) writes:

Better do your homework before you make a fool of yourself
in public, kid. If been posting to USENet since early 1991,
from a dozen different accounts. It so happens I choose th
post from Delphi because it is the easiest account for me to
access, and the cheapest, too.

Cheers,
- net.spy! (Still awaiting the return of KPD)

Paul Tomblin

Jan 10, 1994, 7:50:57 AM1/10/94
anta...@news.delphi.com (ANTA...@DELPHI.COM) writes:

>r...@rmkhome.com (Rick Kelly) writes:
>>See? Here's another one of those "post anything to the net for free for
>>a week" people.

>Better do your homework before you make a fool of yourself
>in public, kid. If been posting to USENet since early 1991,

Funny - 3 years experience, and still a clueless newbie. Amazing!

MAC

Jan 10, 1994, 10:38:55 AM1/10/94

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. On the whole, I would say that
your average delphi poster was stark raving mad.

I was thinking of starting a delphi FAQ. If you have any input,
drop me a line.

MAC

Tom Coradeschi

Jan 10, 1994, 10:43:59 AM1/10/94
sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes:
>Wow! Two for two! Can we get a third?

Probably. But shooting fish in a barrel is rather poor sport, don't you think?
--

tom coradeschi <+> tc...@pica.army.mil <+> DoD#413

Antonio Vasconcelos

Jan 10, 1994, 7:40:16 AM1/10/94
sa...@cs.unc.edu (Eddie Saxe) writes:

: 1) There are plenty of non-college people who post to USENET (*NOT* Internet---

: read the news.newusers.questions group for the "Welcome to USENET" message) who
: have had no trouble at all learning the ropes of USENET before opening their
: big mouths---and some of them have *really* big mouths.

The Usenet is not THAT different from BBSs, at least here.
I've never red n.n.q and I'm entering my 2nd year without being
flammed even once.

: 2) USENET rule #6: don't post to misc.test unless you understand the
: consequences.

As I don't know what it does, I'm removing it from the newsgroups
line.

You know, you SHOULDN'T use 80 char lines !!!!

--
Regards,
.--------------------------------------------------. .-------------.

Life Sux Hard!

Jan 10, 1994, 4:09:19 PM1/10/94
In article <2gqk2e$4...@news.delphi.com>,

ANTA...@DELPHI.COM <alt.flame> wrote:
>Better do your homework before you make a fool of yourself
>in public, kid. If been posting to USENet since early 1991,
>from a dozen different accounts. It so happens I choose th
>post from Delphi because it is the easiest account for me to
>access, and the cheapest, too.

It still doesn't change the fact that you are a dolt.

Nor the fact that delphi is pathetic.
--
--[ Send Ultra Eleet Spiffy Mail To: ]--------------------------------------
ch...@luna.uah.edu cfi...@uahcs2.cs.uah.edu crfi...@nox.cs.du.edu

Scott - Maxwell

Jan 10, 1994, 6:37:03 PM1/10/94
>I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated
>users anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie,
>America Online, BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably
>have their share of jerks.

Oh no, not the Prodigy crowd. Maybe Tragedy will start censoring the net the
way they do their own service.

>Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming, and it ain't
>gonna be pretty when they get here.

God (or Goddess) help us all!

>Kevin J. Podsiadlik
>NEW E-mail: k...@garnet.msen.com
>Synchronize your killfiles

|Scott Maxwell * Has anyone noticed that CBS anchor |
|sco...@cup.portal.com * Jim Jenson is starting to sound like |
|Amiga 1000, 2000, 1200 * WJM anchor Ted Baxter? |
|Pet, SuperPET, Vic, 64 *---------------------------------------|
|128D, 800XL, TI, //e * Good nighs and good newt - Ted Baxter |

Tim Pierce

Jan 10, 1994, 7:23:22 PM1/10/94
Am I the only one who sees the delicious irony in Joel Furr being the
one to create a newsgroup for flaming Delphi users?

--
____ Tim Pierce / "Is that a UNIX book? ... Cool!"
\ / twpi...@unix.amherst.edu /

Eddie Saxe

Jan 10, 1994, 9:09:16 PM1/10/94
In alt.online-service.delphi, alt.folklore.computers, and alt.folklore.urban, va...@bvl.pt (Antonio Vasconcelos) writes:

>The Usenet is not THAT different from BBSs, at least here.
>I've never red n.n.q and I'm entering my 2nd year without being
>flammed even once.

Not event a teensy-weensy spelling `flamme'?

Well, now you've been warlorded.

>--
>Regards,
>.--------------------------------------------------. .-------------.
>| Antonio Vasconcelos at The Lisbon $tock Exchange | | sysadmin & |
>| "I DO NOT SPEAK FOR BVL !!!" | | perl rookie |
>|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
>| ASCII: va...@bvl.pt Micro$oft Mail: Antonio_V...@bvl.pt |
>| SUNmail: va...@morgan.bvl.pt NeXTMail: ro...@jessica.bvl.pt |
>`-_________________________________________________________________-'

Signoff, four email addresses, gratuitous MacElwaine allu$ion$, WON B1FF
REFERENZ!!1!!, one Larry mention, internal borders, external borders
fully equiped with emergency periods, and apparently-intentional
structural damage.

Nine lines...32/sqrt(9) = 10.7 cm, tch, tch. (4 and 3/16 inches for the
metrically challenged)

I see why you need everything. YOU'RE GONNA PUT THE REST INTO YOUR SIG, TOO!

Eddie
--
Bringing you the Impossible, Yesterday and Under Budget

Paul Hendry

Jan 10, 1994, 11:12:44 PM1/10/94
In article <1994Jan10.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,

MAC <mb...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>In article <1994Jan8.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,
>Joel Furr <jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
>>the net?
>
>I was thinking of starting a delphi FAQ. If you have any input,
>drop me a line.

How about an anvil instead?

Is it just me, or does nyx seem to other people to have a staggering
number of ASSHOLES using it?

We've got two already (see above two posts) maybe we can wait for a third?
It shouldn't be too long. :-)
--
-- \ - "There, I've said it. I feel better." - Death - / --
-- \- Standard disclaimer: "I just can't help myself!" - Babs -/ --

Ray Depew

Jan 11, 1994, 11:35:17 AM1/11/94
Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

: Is it just me, or does nyx seem to other people to have a staggering

: number of ASSHOLES using it?

Nope, it's just you. Er, you're the only one, and you're not even on Nyx.
I mean, you need to watch Spaceballs again. And stop drinking so much
coffee.

Ray
rde...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Jack Parker

Jan 11, 1994, 3:05:22 PM1/11/94
Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

But he IS from Toronto:

"If you're looking for somehwere dynamic and bold,
where commerce is booming and sidewalks are gold,
where everyone's welcome to hang up their hat,
don't come to Toronto - it's nothing like that.

For Toronto's a place where the climates unkind,
where people are gloomy and narrow of mind,
where an antique administration drags on,
like a bunch of small villages rolled into one.

It's Toronto the good, Toronto the good,
the kind of a city to quicken the blood,
so don't run it down.... it's a charming old town,
it's Toronto the ever so good!"

(I spent a year there one weekend).

cheers
j.

: Ray
: rde...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Jack Parker |
Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,
jpa...@hpbs2561.boi.hp.com | Get lost on a rally."
(208) 396-5388 (W) (208) 384-1623 (H) |
Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employers.

John A. Weeks III

Jan 10, 1994, 7:11:09 PM1/10/94
In article <2gnqdl$q...@insosf1.infonet.net> dubu...@ins.infonet.net writes:
> All us non college Internet users will scamper right away and have nothing
> to do again with Internet, I mean what could we contribute.

Where's BIFF when we need him the most?

BTW, don't accuse us UUCP'ers of having anything to do with them prima donna
Internet people. 8-)

-john-

John A. Weeks III (612) 946-8815 jo...@newave.mn.org
Newave Communications, Ltd. ..!uunet!tcnet!newave!john

Samuel Murphy

Jan 11, 1994, 11:10:42 AM1/11/94
In article <2gn3f3$1...@garnet.msen.com> k...@garnet.msen.com (Kevin Podsiadlik) writes:
>In article <1994Jan8.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,
>Joel Furr <jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
>>the net?

>I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated
>users anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie,
>America Online, BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably
>have their share of jerks.

Not to mention each september :-)

-Sam

--
Samuel Murphy |"What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
sa...@smds.com |Rolls over your neighbor's dog?"

Jack Parker

Jan 11, 1994, 7:00:38 PM1/11/94
Samuel Murphy (sa...@smds.com) wrote:

: In article <2gn3f3$1...@garnet.msen.com> k...@garnet.msen.com (Kevin Podsiadlik) writes:
: >In article <1994Jan8.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,
: >Joel Furr <jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
: >>
: >>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
: >>the net?
: >>
: ...
: >
: >I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated
: >users anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie,
: >America Online, BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably
: >have their share of jerks.
: >

: Not to mention each september :-)

I thought you said not to mention that?

cheers
j.

Paul Hendry

Jan 11, 1994, 8:46:45 PM1/11/94

And the Nyxies call the Delphioids weird? :-)

Helen C. O'Boyle

Jan 12, 1994, 1:37:02 AM1/12/94
In article <100...@cup.portal.com> Sco...@cup.portal.com (Scott - Maxwell) writes:

[ unattributed quote.... ]

>>Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming, and it ain't
>>gonna be pretty when they get here.
>>
>God (or Goddess) help us all!

Hmmmm..... Anyone else catch the irony in the .sig?

>|sco...@cup.portal.com * Jim Jenson is starting to sound like |

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(I'm not ragging on Scott here, it's just that those of us who
remember JJ and his friends have seen this whole thread before,
but s/DELPHI/The Portal System/. ;-)
--
* Helen *

Ray Depew

Jan 12, 1994, 10:20:32 AM1/12/94
Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

: And the Nyxies call the Delphioids weird? [something deleted -- rrd]

At least the Nyxies know enough to not use emoticons on AFU, crossposts
or no crossposts.

Regards
Ray Depew
r...@fc.hp.com
"And do you want me to bring up Dudley Doright and Hector Heathcote next?"

Patrick Schaaf

Jan 12, 1994, 12:07:51 PM1/12/94
jo...@newave.newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>In article <2gnqdl$q...@insosf1.infonet.net> dubu...@ins.infonet.net writes:
>> All us non college Internet users will scamper right away and have nothing
>> to do again with Internet, I mean what could we contribute.

>Where's BIFF when we need him the most?

>BTW, don't accuse us UUCP'ers of having anything to do with them prima donna
>Internet people. 8-)

Wonderful. Class struggle on the Internet. Get out yer Communist Manifesto,
unwashed masses! Put an end to elitist bandwith hoarding! Free Bit for all!

Patrick (paying a lot for his Internet connection :)

Jorg Klinger

Jan 12, 1994, 1:02:17 PM1/12/94
In <CJHEG...@boi.hp.com> jpa...@mail.boi.hp.com (Jack Parker) writes:

>Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
>: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

OB>(I spent a year there one weekend).

>Jack Parker |
>Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,

Ah yes, the Opera, the Ballet, the Symphony.

Jorg "Boise?" Klinger

Or was that Opra?

bill nelson

Jan 12, 1994, 3:13:35 PM1/12/94
kli...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Jorg Klinger) writes:
:
: >Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
: >: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:
:
: OB>(I spent a year there one weekend).
:
: >Jack Parker |
: >Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,
:
: Ah yes, the Opera, the Ballet, the Symphony.
:
: Jorg "Boise?" Klinger

Yeah. You can spend a week there, in a couple of hours.

Bill "Even less, on a good day" Nelson

David DeLaney

Jan 12, 1994, 4:58:43 PM1/12/94

Hey, hey, hey! Watch it! I've got a brother (and sister-in-law) in Boise!

Dave "they say that discounting the Mormons it's a nice place" DeLaney
--
David DeLaney: d...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu; ObQuote: `I suggest quoting 'J"K"P' and
'J"RR"P' both. --K' Disclaimer: AFAIK, *nobody* speaks for U.T.Knoxville __

Jack Parker

Jan 12, 1994, 7:03:49 PM1/12/94

: >>Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
: >>: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:
: >OB>(I spent a year there one weekend).
: >>Jack Parker |
: >>Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,
: > Ah yes, the Opera, the Ballet, the Symphony.
: > Jorg "Boise?" Klinger
: >Or was that Opra?

: Hey, hey, hey! Watch it! I've got a brother (and sister-in-law) in Boise!

Ahh! I see the comment was directed at the amount of culture to be found
here in Boise. Yes - it is true this is rather a cultural desert. I miss
my home in Seattle. But on the other hand there is actually an opera
company here - I just saw Porgy and Bess not too very long ago. I have also
heard of symphonic arrangements and ballet locally. Not a very strong showing,
but jazz in the park and at the local winery + miles and miles of bike trails,
mountains, ski trails, courteous people..... It ain't so bad here.

'Toronto the Good' was written and performed by 'The Brother's In Law'.
A canadian group. I merely think of it every time I hear 'Toronto'.

I should have been more precise in my denigration of Toronto. Toronto
itself is a loverly place - but I was stuck in Downsview/Vaughn for the
better part of a year and grew to have strong feelings for that part of the
world. (I still make the sign of the crucifix whenever I see the manager
that stuck me up there - but that was another job - I think I'm safe now.
Some of my ex-co-workers from that era still refuse to answer phone
calls from that area-code).

My housemate would wake up every morning, stare out of the 14th floor
window of the monstrosity we lived, over the miles and miles of subdivisions
at the one lone tree that could be seen on the otherwise flat horizon and
say "VAUGHN! I live in VAUGHN Canada!" He got pretty vehement after a while.
Then we would get into the car and drive for 45 minutes to go the three miles
to work. But you don't really want to hear all of this - and I really want
to forget it.

(How do you abbreviate United States of America? U. S. Eh?)

cheers
j.

Jack Parker |
Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA| "Discover America,

da...@gilly.cca.org

Jan 12, 1994, 8:21:49 PM1/12/94
b...@wg.saar.de (Patrick Schaaf) writes:

>Wonderful. Class struggle on the Internet. Get out yer Communist Manifesto,
>unwashed masses! Put an end to elitist bandwith hoarding! Free Bit for all!

MANIFESTO OF THE DELPHIC PARTY
------------------------------

#ident "@(#)/pub/manifest.delphic 1.1 3.0 04/01/1888 Friedrich_-_Engels "

A spectre is haunting the Internet -- the spectre of Delphism.
All the Powers of old Usenet have entered into a holy alliance to
exorcise this spectre: User and Admin, Hacker and Newbie, Academic
Radicals and NSA net-greppers.

Where is the Posting of Stupidity that has not been decried as
Delphic by its replies of flamage? Where the poster that has not
hurled back the branding reproach of "From: us...@delphi.com"
against the more Content-Free messages, as well as against the
Never-Ending-September?

Two things result from this fact.

I. Delphi is already acknowledged by all Internet Sites
to be itself a Host.

II. It is high time that Delphists should openly, in the face
of the whole alt hierarchy, post their messages, their .sigs, their
FAQs, and meet this UL of the Path: of !news.delphi.com! with a
Manifesto of the Site itself.

To this end, Delphists of various baud-rates have assembled
in a.o-s.d, and edited the following Manifesto, to be
distributed by the UUCP, nntp, and FTP rtfm.mit.edu protocols.

I. NEWBIES AND HACKERS

The history of all hitherto existing networks is the history
of user struggles.

Freeman and slave, patrician and plebeian, lord and serf,
hacker and newbie, admin and user, in a word, clued and clueless
stood in constant opposition to one another, carried on an
unSIGINTed, now ~/.hidden, now open() fight, a fight that each time
ended, either in a revolutionary rewrite of interfacing protocols
or in the common ruin of the contending networks. (Film at 11:00.)

In the earlier logfiles of history, we find almost everywhere a
complicated arrangement of computers into various networks, a
manifold gradation of system access. In ancient IBM we have
Man-Versus-System and BITNET; in the DEC Ages, VMS, DCL, and DECNET;
in almost all of these systems, again, subordinate gradations.

The feudal system of mailing lists, under which message distribution
was monopolised by closed servers, now no longer sufficed for the
growing wants of the new users. The uux - $NODE!rnews system took
its place. The LISTSERVs were pushed on one side by flood-fill
propogation; division of distribution between the different primary
servers vanished in the face of replication of batching in each single
node.

The modern Usenet society that has sprouted from the ruins
of proprietary systems has not done away with clash antagonisms. It
has but established new RFCs, new conditions of flamage,
new forms of posting in place of the old ones. Our epoch,
the Epoch of Usenet, possesses, however, this distinctive
bug^H^H^Hfeature: it has simplified the class antagonisms: Society as a
whole is less and less splitting up into two great hostile camps,
into two great classes, directly facing each other: User and
Delphoid.

[....]

-<=>- Dave Fischer -<=>- Help Fight Ambient Light! -<=>- da...@cca.org -<=>-

the Smooge

Jan 12, 1994, 6:56:16 PM1/12/94
Ok, I have talked to kibo via email and I think once a talk link
concerning whether or not he had gone to new mexico tech or not (there
was a rumour that he was one of those past alumni that are actually
millionaires who secretly give scholarrships to students.) It turned
out that the rumour was completely false. Xibo (2?) was the one who
had gone to tech years ago.. and neither Kibo or Xibo secretly sponsor
people's scholarships (or that is their story and they are sticking to
it.)

Well.. I leave for christmas break and after seeing the 5th reference
to this vicki person I wanted to know who she is... and how has she
become almost as famous as kibo? (And is there a vikkology?)

Stephen

--
Stephen John Smoogen | Student
smo...@nmt.edu | CS-Astrophysicist

James Kibo Parry

Jan 13, 1994, 3:57:57 AM1/13/94
[alt.online-service.delphi et al.]

In article <1994Jan12.2...@nmt.edu>, the Smooge <smo...@nmt.edu> wrote:
> Ok, I have talked to kibo via email and I think once a talk link
> concerning whether or not he had gone to new mexico tech or not (there
> was a rumour that he was one of those past alumni that are actually
> millionaires who secretly give scholarrships to students.) It turned
> out that the rumour was completely false. Xibo (2?) was the one who
> had gone to tech years ago.. and neither Kibo or Xibo secretly sponsor
> people's scholarships (or that is their story and they are sticking to
> it.)

I do not secretly sponsor scholarships; I am very open about the
millions of dollars I gave to my alma mater, Oral Roberts U.

-- K.

Charlie Gibbs

Jan 13, 1994, 5:01:13 AM1/13/94
In article <CJJK6...@boi.hp.com> jpa...@mail.boi.hp.com (Jack Parker)
writes:

>Some of my ex-co-workers from that era still refuse to answer phone
>calls from that area-code).

Maybe that's the real reason for the 416/905 area code split.
The callers in 905 might be able to sneak in.

>(How do you abbreviate United States of America? U. S. Eh?)

How do you spell Canada? C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?

Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca
"They say that absence makes the heart grow fungus."
-- Barenaked Ladies

Juergen Nickelsen

Jan 13, 1994, 7:42:01 AM1/13/94
Maxwell) writes:

> Oh no, not the Prodigy crowd. Maybe Tragedy will start censoring the
> net the way they do their own service.

I've seen censoring mentioned together with Prodigy several times in
the last days here. Can someone give some more information about this?

--
Juergen Nickelsen

Jorg Klinger

Jan 13, 1994, 10:14:10 AM1/13/94
In <CJJK6...@boi.hp.com> jpa...@mail.boi.hp.com (Jack Parker) writes:

>David DeLaney (d...@martha.utcc.utk.edu) wrote:
>: kli...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Jorg Klinger) writes:
>: >jpa...@mail.boi.hp.com (Jack Parker) writes:
>: >>Ray Depew (r...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
>: >>: Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:

>but jazz in the park and at the local winery + miles and miles of bike trails,
>mountains, ski trails, courteous people..... It ain't so bad here.

Actually I'd trade a shit load of culture for some decent hiking
trails and some courteous people.

Jorg "De man ain't got no cultchur" Klinger

Simon or Garfunkel?

Paul Tomblin

Jan 13, 1994, 11:33:52 AM1/13/94
smo...@nmt.edu (the Smooge) writes:

>Well.. I leave for christmas break and after seeing the 5th reference
>to this vicki person I wanted to know who she is... and how has she
>become almost as famous as kibo? (And is there a vikkology?)

*I'll* never tell....

--
Paul Tomblin - snide Canadian.
Joel Furr can have my Vicki Robinson sig when he prys it from my cold, dead
fingers.

Paul Hendry

Jan 13, 1994, 11:46:31 AM1/13/94
In article <CJIvy...@fc.hp.com>, Ray Depew <r...@fc.hp.com> wrote:
>Paul Hendry (hen...@helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:
>
>: And the Nyxies call the Delphioids weird? [something deleted -- rrd]
>
>At least the Nyxies know enough to not use emoticons on AFU, crossposts
>or no crossposts.

So they *are* called Nyxies?

I just don't like to see people making fun of other people, who, through
no fault of their own happen to have an account on delphi.

I'd still like to know if lampreys are inherently funny or not!

davis robert

Jan 13, 1994, 11:44:08 AM1/13/94
In article <NICKEL.94J...@toftum.prz.tu-berlin.de>,

This isn't an answer to your question, but it is a warning to net
users who value their freedom of speech (typing? :-) on the net. I've
noticed that there are people out there who want to see some form of
net censorship, because some postings (particularly poltical and
sexual subject matter) offends them. Others want closer FBI, police,
etc. monitoring ot the net, private e-mail etc. I find this to be
quite disturbing, and thought that I'd mention it. This is something
that we should take seriously if we want to be able to continue to
post messages freely. Hence, if we're not careful, Prodigy may be
similar to what the future of Usenet news holds in store for us; not a
pleasant thought.

--
Robert D. Davis |
...uunet!mystica!rdd | Eccentrics have more fun!
rda...@umbc.edu |
1-410-744-7964 |

Lon Stowell

Jan 13, 1994, 3:27:45 PM1/13/94

In article <CJK8w...@world.std.com> ki...@world.std.com (James "Kibo" Parry) writes:
>I do not secretly sponsor scholarships; I am very open about the
>millions of dollars I gave to my alma mater, Oral Roberts U.
>
> -- K.
What, you mean you didn't really attend New Mexico Tech, or NMIMT as
it used to be called? You mean you've never chug-a-lugged a half
pint of Driscoll Pondwater? Bummer, man, you are off my list of
legends.

David Lesher

Jan 13, 1994, 7:32:32 PM1/13/94
smo...@nmt.edu (the Smooge) writes:

>Well.. I leave for christmas break and after seeing the 5th reference
>to this vicki person I wanted to know who she is... and how has she
>become almost as famous as kibo? (And is there a vikkology?)

vicki is Kibo's illegimate mother, but she denies it......

Saw it on HARDCOPY, it MUST be true......
& no one will talk to a host that's close...........(v)301 56 LINUX
Unless the host (that isn't close)....kibo# 665.99.........pob 1433
is busy, hung or dead..............vr....................20915-1433

Rich 'mcmxciibo' Holmes

Jan 13, 1994, 9:13:14 PM1/13/94
In article <1994Jan11.1...@smds.com> sa...@smds.com (Samuel Murphy) writes:

>In article <2gn3f3$1...@garnet.msen.com> k...@garnet.msen.com (Kevin Podsiadlik) writes:
>>In article <1994Jan8.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,
>>Joel Furr <jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>Is it just me, or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on
>>>the net?
>>

>>I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated
>>users anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie,
>>America Online, BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably
>>have their share of jerks.
>>

>Not to mention each september :-)

I have no followup, I just wanted my sig quote to appear at this
point.

--
- Rich "mcmxciibo" Holmes

Of course, it's perpetual September for Amiga users, isn't it?
- Paul Tomblin

Lefty

Jan 14, 1994, 6:24:20 PM1/14/94
In article <2gqk2e$4...@news.delphi.com>, anta...@news.delphi.com
(ANTA...@DELPHI.COM) wrote:

> r...@rmkhome.com (Rick Kelly) writes:
>
> >ANTA...@DELPHI.COM (anta...@news.delphi.com) wrote:
> >: jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>
> >See? Here's another one of those "post anything to the net for free for
> >a week" people.
>
> Better do your homework before you make a fool of yourself
> in public, kid. If been posting to USENet since early 1991,
> from a dozen different accounts.

Thereby demonstrating, if true, that even given thirty-six months in which
to learn to avoid making a fool of _yourself_ in public, you were incapable
of doing so.

--
Lefty [gYon-Pa] (le...@apple.com)
C:.M:.C:., D:.O:.D:.

Charlie Gibbs

Jan 14, 1994, 8:53:36 PM1/14/94
In article <2h3og2$i...@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca> kli...@cc.umanitoba.ca
(Jorg Klinger) writes:

> Jorg "De man ain't got no cultchur" Klinger
>
> Simon or Garfunkel?

Or maybe Dylan Thomas (whoever he was).

Charlie "I been Roy Halee'd and Art Garfunkel'd" Gibbs
(Hmm, maybe it was Simon.)

Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca
"I've lost my harmonica, Albert."

Todd D. Taft

Jan 14, 1994, 8:34:17 PM1/14/94
In article <NICKEL.94J...@toftum.prz.tu-berlin.de> nic...@prz.tu-berlin.de writes:
>I've seen censoring mentioned together with Prodigy several times in
>the last days here. Can someone give some more information about this?
All prodigy posts must be approved before they get posted.
Historically, many of the reasons that posts have been rejected have
been rather weak: things like discussions of software (in computer
sections) have been rejected because "the software being discussed
might be commercial."

--
Todd D. Taft ta...@cs.unc.edu
U.N.C. Department of Computer Science Student Facilities Staff

Scott - Maxwell

Jan 15, 1994, 12:21:57 AM1/15/94
>In article <2gqk2e$4...@news.delphi.com>,

>ANTA...@DELPHI.COM <alt.flame> wrote:
>>Better do your homework before you make a fool of yourself
>>in public, kid. If been posting to USENet since early 1991,
>>from a dozen different accounts. It so happens I choose th
>>post from Delphi because it is the easiest account for me to
>>access, and the cheapest, too.
>
> It still doesn't change the fact that you are a dolt.

True

> Nor the fact that delphi is pathetic.

Also true. Besides, Portal's cheaper and more fun :P

>ch...@luna.uah.edu cfi...@uahcs2.cs.uah.edu crfi...@nox.cs.du.edu
>--[ PuD AnonFTP: luna.uah.edu:/pub/pud ]------------------------------------

|Scott Maxwell * I was almost cut off in traffic by |
|sco...@cup.portal.com * Lorena Bobbitt. |
|Amiga 1000, 2000, 1200 * Senate hearing finds King Missile is |
|Pet, SuperPET, Vic, 64 * responsible for Bobbitt's Detachable |
|128D, 800XL, TI, //e * Penis. *Acquit Lorena!* |

Rocco Caputo

Jan 15, 1994, 10:43:39 PM1/15/94
Todd D. Taft (ta...@cs.unc.edu) wrote in alt.folklore.computers:

<>the last days here. Can someone give some more information about this?
<All prodigy posts must be approved before they get posted.
<Historically, many of the reasons that posts have been rejected have
<been rather weak: things like discussions of software (in computer
<sections) have been rejected because "the software being discussed
<might be commercial."

Prodigy censored me once. Once. I had posted one of the more benign
bits of the Principia Discordia, and it *BOUNCED*! Can you believe
it? I canceled my subscription shortly after that.

The passage I posted is entitled "A SERMON ON ETHICS AND LOVE". I
still can't see what was "objectionable" about it.
--
-><- Rocco Caputo (tr...@inca.gate.net) has left the building.

Matt Simmons

Jan 15, 1994, 11:29:31 PM1/15/94
Rocco Caputo (tr...@inca.gate.net) wrote:
: Prodigy censored me once. Once. I had posted one of the more benign

: bits of the Principia Discordia, and it *BOUNCED*! Can you believe
: it? I canceled my subscription shortly after that.
: The passage I posted is entitled "A SERMON ON ETHICS AND LOVE". I
: still can't see what was "objectionable" about it.
Can you post or mail me this passage?

Devoted _n______________________________________________ _________________
Teri / \|[]|"" \ |[]| |[]| |[]| |[]| / || \ |[]| |[]|
Polo ,(_____| |()_()\___| |___| |___| |___| |___/ || \___| |___| |
Fan <_______|__|_(_)_____|__|___|__|___|__|___|__|______||______|__|___|__|
=========\ Walt Disney World Monorail System ||
LCA _____\________________________________________________||_________________
__/ This highway's in perfect shape. Quick! Thank god I'm not a
_/ Break it so we can 'fix' it! -- IDOT Motto F. I. P. =)

Scott - Maxwell

Jan 16, 1994, 6:54:08 PM1/16/94
>Hmmmm..... Anyone else catch the irony in the .sig?
>
>>|sco...@cup.portal.com * Jim Jenson is starting to sound like |
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>(I'm not ragging on Scott here, it's just that those of us who
>remember JJ and his friends have seen this whole thread before,
>but s/DELPHI/The Portal System/. ;-)

This is true. Portal was the most economical way for me to get to the
internet. I just move over to Portal when American PeopleLink's AmigaZone
moved too. It could be worse. I could be accessing through Tragedy..I mean
Prodigy. :-)

>* Helen *

Daniel P. B. Smith

Jan 16, 1994, 9:05:42 PM1/16/94

>I've seen censoring mentioned together with Prodigy several times in
>the last days here. Can someone give some more information about this?

I used Prodigy for a while in 1990 and things may have changed. It was
a REALLY interesting experience. Very Orwellian.

a) a noticeable number of my own postings were "bounced," meaning
I got e-mail back saying that it had not been posted and enclosing a
copy the offending message. By comparison, I have _never_ had a CompuServe
or Delphi sysop remove one of my messages.

b) A typical example: in my first day or so of use, I replied to a message
entitled "A Good Recording." The title of my message was "A Terrible
Recording." My message was bounced because it began with the word "A".
(Prodigy messages are presented alphabetically and people began titling
their messages deliberately with words beginning with A, or with punctuation,
to give them favored placement).

c) The most Draconian feature was that no messages criticizing Prodigy,
discussing censorship, or attempting to influence Prodigy's policies
were _ever_ permitted to be posted.

d) The most common reason for rejection was that the posting was "off
topic." All of the "clubs" had very narrowly defined topics. For example,
the "writing club" was specifically for "discussions of the craft of
writing." Nobody was permitted to post an actual poem or story because
that was "off topic." I tried to start a thread on this, but, of course,
discussion of the policy was "off topic."

e) There was no mechanism for reaching the person who had bounced your
message, no means of discussion, and no appeal.

f) A sort of underground was in full swing. For example, people would
make veiled references to "Cato," because any open discussion of "censorship"
was almost certain to be bounced whereas references to "Cato" (the
ancient Roman senator, "Cato the Censor,") often could pass the censors
and get posted. (One person said "You can get almost anything past
Cato but sometimes you have to be a cunning linguist." Nudge, nudge,
wink, wink--_cunning linguist,_ get it?)

g) People tried to get around the restrictions on "clubs" by using
mailing lists; Prodigy promptly revoked the original "flat rate"
offer and began charging $0.25 per message for E-mail in excess of
thirty messages per month.

h) The censorship did NOT seem to me to be very "political," in the sense
that you could say political things in the "political club," X-rated movies
were discussed in the movie club, etc. The big no-nos were i) criticism
of Prodigy, and ii) being "off-topic."

i) Being "off-topic" was pretty significant, though. In comparison with
Usenet, with 3000 or so newsgroups, a formal mechanism for creating new
ones whenever there is interest, and the informal ALT hierarchy, Prodigy
had perhaps a total of 100 "clubs," each with a very narrowly-defined
agenda. There was DEFINITELY no policy of creating new ones in response
to interest.

I have a theory that the censorship was really intended as behavior
control. They couldn't _really_ read _all_ the messages, so they
tried to _train_ you not to post off-topic in hopes that Middle America
would find anything offensive in the "Writing Club" or what have you.
This would explain why so often a reply to a long, existing thread would be
bounced as "off-topic." It would also explain a major flap reported
in the press occurring a few months after I cancelled my membership.

I believe what happened was that an anti-Semitic message
got past Cato and got posted, but then the replies to it got bounced as
"off-topic." I don't think Prodigy was being anti-Semitic, I think they
were just being Prodigy.

I believe that Prodigy didn't, and probably still doesn't understand
what on-line services are good for, and may have locked themselves into
an architecture and pricing structure that can't make money providing normal
e-mail or bulletin-board services. They wanted "photograpy corners" and
"kitchen topics" and "gardening clubs" to LOOK appealing in ads
and demonstrations, but they did not want them to be heavily used or
to have a large or growing membership.

--Daniel P. B. Smith
dpbs...@world.std.com

--
Daniel P. B. Smith
dpbs...@world.std.com

Henry Brugsch

Jan 17, 1994, 11:10:27 AM1/17/94
In article <2gn3f3$1...@garnet.msen.com>
k...@garnet.msen.com "Kevin Podsiadlik" writes:

> In article <1994Jan8.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,
> Joel Furr <jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
> >
> I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated
> users anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie,
> America Online, BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably
> have their share of jerks.
>

> Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming, and it ain't
> gonna be pretty when they get here.
>
> --
> Kevin J. Podsiadlik
> NEW E-mail: k...@garnet.msen.com
> Synchronize your killfiles

I'd just prefer to "think of it as evolution in progress.
(I hope I got that great quote right.
--
Henry Brugsch
aka hbj elsewher, CIS: 75366.317.com

Edward Rice

Jan 17, 1994, 12:30:17 PM1/17/94
de> From: da...@gilly.cca.org

de> MANIFESTO OF THE DELPHIC PARTY
de> ------------------------------

This is very funny stuff. I read it all the way through, savoring it.

Libor Michalek

Jan 18, 1994, 12:30:56 AM1/18/94

call...@rhombus.cs.jhu.edu (Paul Callahan) writes:
:ri...@wpi.WPI.EDU (darren rion hall) writes:
:
:>>> Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming, and it ain't gonna be

:>>> pretty when they get here.
:
:>an elitism which i thought to mainly inhabit such areas as this nations high
:>schools. i guess i was wrong... in that it evolves to a high sophistication of
:>elitism... yet, it is still, in every way, elitism.
:

[ The begining of a discussion on how and why an influx of joe average users
will change the entire internet forever. ]

:so too, the sudden publicity of the Internet ("the world's largest functioning
:Anarchism") will surely turn it into something entirely different from what

Your right about it being an anarchism, unfortunatly the average person thinks
of anarchism as destructive, which is just not the case. The problem is that
to maintain a succesful, cooperative anarchism, a certain percentage of the
members have to be above a certain inteligence, in other words the average
inteligence has to be above a certain point, which is not the case in our
society (One of the reasons we don't live in an anarchist state). The problem
with all these new people on the net is that the average person on the net
will start to more closly resemble the average citizen, while up until
recentlly the average net citizen has been more inteligent then the average
person (say what you will its true, because most of the people on the net
have been academics or people with a better then average education).
unfortunatly the average person has to be lead/ruled, and as the demographics
of the net start to resemble societies demographics more and more closely we
will see more and more control being forced on us by the powers that be.
Just look at any of the online services that are frequented by the average
person and see how they compare when it comes to control (e.g. censorship)
So we have to look forward to what we love being taken away from us. That is
why the 'eletists' are worried, and they have every right to be. If you don't
believe this, save this post read it ten years from now, and if I'm wrong
I'll be very happy, but I don't think so. I'm not saying were I fit into all
of this because it dosn't matter what is important is how the averages work
out, and not a single person. Nietzsche went over all of this type of stuff
more then 100 years ago. Any way what I'm getting at is that people who
like the internet the way it is now do have something to worry about because
it will become worse (from their and my point of view), but joe average will
think its becoming better. joe average, "I don't have to worry about saying
something offensive because our gateway will censor it and no one will get
pissed at me. Isn't that great!!!!" Hope fully if we all know about this
we can do something. Any one got an idea? :-)

(I know I can't spell. piss off)

-Libor

Anarchist, Atheist, and Research Programmer

Kevin Podsiadlik

Jan 17, 1994, 10:24:54 PM1/17/94
In article <2had5b$14...@inca.gate.net>,

Rocco Caputo <tr...@inca.gate.net> wrote:
>Todd D. Taft (ta...@cs.unc.edu) wrote in alt.folklore.computers:
><Historically, many of the reasons that posts have been rejected have
><been rather weak: things like discussions of software (in computer
><sections) have been rejected because "the software being discussed
><might be commercial."
>
>Prodigy censored me once. Once. I had posted one of the more benign
>bits of the Principia Discordia, and it *BOUNCED*! Can you believe
>it? I canceled my subscription shortly after that.

My favorite Prodigy story is still the one of the guy whose message
got rejected because of the phrase (and I forget the exact phrase
but this one gets the point across) "cum laude".

--
Kevin J. Podsiadlik "Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming,
k...@garnet.msen.com and it ain't gonna be pretty when they get here."

anta...@news.delphi.com

Jan 18, 1994, 5:09:57 AM1/18/94
le...@apple.com (Lefty) writes:

I agree - Rick Kelly sure did make a fool of himself in public. And you're
coming pretty close.

Love and kisses

MAC

Jan 18, 1994, 5:02:52 AM1/18/94
In article <2gsrhq$g...@amhux3.amherst.edu>,
Tim Pierce <twpi...@unix.amherst.edu> wrote:
>Am I the only one who sees the delicious irony in Joel Furr being the
>one to create a newsgroup for flaming Delphi users?

Yes.

Roy M. Silvernail

Jan 18, 1994, 4:08:52 AM1/18/94
He...@g0gku.demon.co.uk (Henry Brugsch) writes:

> In article <2gn3f3$1...@garnet.msen.com>
> k...@garnet.msen.com "Kevin Podsiadlik" writes:
>
>> In article <1994Jan8.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,
>> Joel Furr <jf...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated
>> users anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie,
>> America Online, BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably
>> have their share of jerks.
>>
>> Face it, fellow travelers, the masses are coming, and it ain't
>> gonna be pretty when they get here.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin J. Podsiadlik
>> NEW E-mail: k...@garnet.msen.com
>> Synchronize your killfiles
>>
> I'd just prefer to "think of it as evolution in progress.
> (I hope I got that great quote right.

"Think of it as evolution in action."

BTW, Niven and Pournelle missed a bit. Todos Santos was built in
Bloomington, Minnesota, named Mall of America, and the retail section
was completed before the residential part was even put on the drawing
board. But, hey... how many malls have a log flume ride in them?
--
Roy M. Silvernail [] r...@sendai.cybrspc.mn.org

It's just this little chromium switch.......

warlock

Jan 18, 1994, 1:23:50 PM1/18/94
In article <2hfs6g$b...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

Libor Michalek <li...@rasputin.ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>Your right about it being an anarchism, unfortunatly the average person thinks
>of anarchism as destructive, which is just not the case. The problem is that
>to maintain a succesful, cooperative anarchism, a certain percentage of the
>members have to be above a certain inteligence, in other words the average
>inteligence has to be above a certain point, which is not the case in our
>society (One of the reasons we don't live in an anarchist state). The problem
>with all these new people on the net is that the average person on the net
>will start to more closly resemble the average citizen, while up until
>recentlly the average net citizen has been more inteligent then the average
>person (say what you will its true, because most of the people on the net
>have been academics or people with a better then average education).

I think you underestimate the average person - and considerably overestimate
the benefits of education and intelligence. Numerous net.buttheads stand
as on-line examples that neither high intelligence, whatever that is, nor
overeducation are impediments to being a total idiot.

I suspect that when the average person, whoever they are, does make it
onto the net, they are going to be somewhat disillusioned on all counts.

war...@bnr.ca |

Steve Coltrin

Jan 19, 1994, 7:23:43 PM1/19/94
k...@garnet.msen.com (Kevin Podsiadlik) writes:

>My favorite Prodigy story is still the one of the guy whose message
>got rejected because of the phrase (and I forget the exact phrase
>but this one gets the point across) "cum laude".

I like the message that was killed because it named the English town of
Scunthorpe. (Look carefully.)

-spc

Derek Tearne

Jan 20, 1994, 10:33:13 PM1/20/94

The only possible answer anyone can post to this question with any degree
of certainty is 'no'. To post 'yes' shows merely a lack of understanding
in the fields of logic, statistics and Usenet.

Derek "unless everyone on usenet except Tim can be bothered to post 'yes'
which is, of course, impossible" Tearne

--
Derek Tearne. de...@nezsdc.fujitsu.co.nz Fujitsu New Zealand
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the

Helen C. O'Boyle

Jan 21, 1994, 4:04:24 AM1/21/94

Oh, dear.... I missed this. Could someone send me a copy?
--
* Helen *

Kivi Shapiro

Jan 21, 1994, 1:35:48 PM1/21/94
In article <1994Jan21.0...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz>,

Derek Tearne <de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz> wrote:

>Derek "unless everyone on usenet except Tim can be bothered to post 'yes'
>which is, of course, impossible" Tearne

No--it's possible. I just don't think it would be a good idea.

"Just lay down that Pnews, everyone" Kivi Shapiro
--
- Kivi
jksh...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (Kivi Shapiro)

Travis Corcoran

Jan 21, 1994, 12:54:09 PM1/21/94

In article <1994Jan18.1...@bnr.ca> war...@bnr.ca (warlock) writes:

> In article <2hfs6g$b...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
> Libor Michalek <li...@rasputin.ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >Your right about it being an anarchism, unfortunatly the average person thinks
> >of anarchism as destructive, which is just not the case. The problem is that
> >to maintain a succesful, cooperative anarchism, a certain percentage of the
> >members have to be above a certain inteligence, in other words the average
> >inteligence has to be above a certain point, which is not the case in our
> >society (One of the reasons we don't live in an anarchist state). The problem
> >with all these new people on the net is that the average person on the net
> >will start to more closly resemble the average citizen, while up until
> >recentlly the average net citizen has been more inteligent then the average
> >person (say what you will its true, because most of the people on the net
> >have been academics or people with a better then average education).
>
> I think you underestimate the average person

It's hard to underestimate the average person- they keep suprising you.

> and considerably overestimate
> the benefits of education and intelligence.

This may be true. Some of the biggest idiots I've known have had high
IQ's and good educations.

> I suspect that when the average person, whoever they are, does make it
> onto the net, they are going to be somewhat disillusioned on all counts.

The average person will not be disapointed, b/c the average person
expects The Net (tm) to consist of 500 Channels Of TV (tm) and
Educational Software (tm). And they will be right - the part of the
Information Superhighway (tm) that they access will have 500 channels
of Ted Turner supplied TV and some Big Brother supplied
indoctrination^H^H^H^H^H^H education. The rest of us will continue to
hang out on our favorite newsgroups, mailing lists, archive sites,
etc. And we'll hardly notice that they're sharing the same
transmission lines, b/c they won't be sharing the same data.

--
__
TJIC (Travis J.I. Corcoran) TJ...@icd.teradyne.com

"Buy a rifle, encrypt your data, and wait for the Revolution!"

Marc Thibault

Jan 22, 1994, 12:37:49 AM1/22/94
He...@g0gku.demon.co.uk (Henry Brugsch) writes:

> I'd just prefer to "think of it as evolution in progress.
> (I hope I got that great quote right.

It's called "evolution in action", and it involves applying
"extreme prejudice" to people guilty of incurable assholery. I
guess you got the wrong quote.

Cheers,
Marc

Will Linden

Jan 22, 1994, 4:31:11 PM1/22/94
dubu...@ins.infonet.net wrote:
: In article <2gn3f3$1...@garnet.msen.com>, k...@garnet.msen.com (Kevin Podsiadlik) writes:

: >I think one can expect an influx of, shall we say, unsophisticated

: >users anytime an online service connects to the Internet. GEnie,
: >America Online, BIX, Prodigy (shudder), even CompuServe all probably
: >have their share of jerks.

Unlike, of course, any and all college systems, which never, NEVER fill
Usenet with vituperation and sophomoric idiocy.

NghtTerror

Mar 5, 1994, 7:02:03 AM3/5/94
smo...@nmt.edu (the Smooge) writes:

>Well.. I leave for christmas break and after seeing the 5th reference
>to this vicki person I wanted to know who she is... and how has she
>become almost as famous as kibo? (And is there a vikkology?)

She's my mentor <eg>
Rumor has it she's also Geoff Burling's girlfriend...but that claim may be
*greatly* exaggerated....

Kathi "I wanna be like Vick" Stiles
NghtT...@aol.com

Vicki Robinson

Mar 7, 1994, 11:59:48 AM3/7/94

It is exaggerated beyond all recognition.

Vicki "An original" Robinson

--
Vicki Robinson "It'll just lead to trouble,
Odd physics professor I know it will."

Peter C. Norton

Mar 20, 1994, 12:58:57 PM3/20/94
vjr...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Vicki Robinson) writes:

>In article <2l9sbr$c...@search01.news.aol.com>, nghtt...@aol.com (NghtTerror) writes:
>>smo...@nmt.edu (the Smooge) writes:
>>
>>>Well.. I leave for christmas break and after seeing the 5th reference
>>>to this vicki person I wanted to know who she is... and how has she
>>>become almost as famous as kibo? (And is there a vikkology?)
>>
>>She's my mentor <eg>
>>Rumor has it she's also Geoff Burling's girlfriend...but that claim may be
>>*greatly* exaggerated....
>>

>>Kathi "I wanna be like Vick" Stiles
>>NghtT...@aol.com

>It is exaggerated beyond all recognition.

>Vicki "An original" Robinson

I have a phonemail system named VIckI!!

Hebdomeros

Apr 5, 1994, 11:26:08 PM4/5/94
writes:

>>Rumor has it she's also Geoff Burling's girlfriend...but that claim may be
*greatly* exaggerated....

Kathi "I wanna be like Vick" Stiles
NghtT...@aol.com<<

Does this mean she wants to be Geoff Burling's girlfriend?

Hebdomeros
Who doesn't want to be Geoff Burling's girlfriend