Back Into the Storm by Bil Herd, Margaret Morabito

Robert Bernardo

Jul 29, 2021, 4:26:25 PMJul 29
"Back Into the Storm: A Design Engineer's Story of Commodore Computers in the 1980s" has been released! Written by CBM engineer Bil Herd and Margaret Morabito, Back Into the Storm delves into Bil and the "Animals'" work on the Commodore TED series (C16, Plus/4, etc.) and on the Commodore 128.
For more information and to order the paperback book or Kindle version, go to

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BDF92F4

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group -
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network -
http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
Nov. 6-7 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2021 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/class

Jeff Gaines

Jul 30, 2021, 3:46:06 AMJul 30
On 29/07/2021 in message
<779c5014-46d1-4668...@googlegroups.com> Robert Bernardo
wrote:

>"Back Into the Storm: A Design Engineer's Story of Commodore Computers in
>the 1980s" has been released! Written by CBM engineer Bil Herd and
>Margaret Morabito, Back Into the Storm delves into Bil and the "Animals'"
>work on the Commodore TED series (C16, Plus/4, etc.) and on the Commodore
>128.
> For more information and to order the paperback book or Kindle version, go to
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BDF92F4

My first computer was a Vic 20, do you know if that is mentioned, can't
see it in the blurb.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

Anssi Saari

Jul 30, 2021, 11:30:21 AMJul 30
"Jeff Gaines" <jgaines...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> My first computer was a Vic 20, do you know if that is mentioned,
> can't see it in the blurb.

I guess it might be mentioned but the Vic came out in 1981 and Bil Herd
joined Commodore some time later than that (1982?) so I'd assume he
didn't work on the Vic at all.

Robert Bernardo

Jul 30, 2021, 4:10:03 PMJul 30
On Friday, July 30, 2021 at 11:30:21 AM UTC-4, Anssi Saari wrote:

> ...the Vic came out in 1981 and Bil Herd
> joined Commodore some time later than that (1982?) so I'd assume he
> didn't work on the Vic at all.

Bil joined CBM in 1983, a couple of years after the VIC-20 was introduced.

Jeff Gaines

Jul 31, 2021, 4:03:15 AMJul 31
OK, thanks :-)

I no longer have the Vic 20 but I remember somewhere near the beginning of
the manual it said something along the lines "it doesn't matter what keys
you press you cannot damage the computer". Good mantra for computing
although pressing the "Break" key on the BBC Micro didn't damage the
machine it completely screwed anything you hadn't saved!

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.

Anssi Saari

Aug 9, 2021, 2:34:17 AMAug 9
"Jeff Gaines" <jgaines...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I no longer have the Vic 20 but I remember somewhere near the
> beginning of the manual it said something along the lines "it doesn't
> matter what keys you press you cannot damage the computer". Good
> mantra for computing although pressing the "Break" key on the BBC
> Micro didn't damage the machine it completely screwed anything you
> hadn't saved!

Yes, I remember that too from the old Vic-20 manual. Anyways, if you're
interested in the Vic-20 history then Brian Bagnall's Commodore: A
Company On The Edge covers the era when the Vic was created.

Jeff Gaines

Aug 9, 2021, 3:45:10 AMAug 9
Thank you :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Robert Bernardo

Aug 23, 2021, 4:59:01 PMAug 23
I’ve just scanned the book, and I discovered it to be surprisingly enjoyable and easy to read! No stuffy pronouncements! Just an informative story of the days that Bil Herd was with Commodore. After listening to Bil speak at various engagements and in various videos, I found that the book filled in areas that were not covered in the past.

Below is a page listing of what the book emphasizes (not including the handy-dandy glossary at the book’s end):

Jack Tramiel – p. 12-15

TED computers (116, C16, Plus/4, 264, 364) – p. 20-49, 63-64, 72-74, 79-90, 93-94, 97-108, 116-119, 127

VIC-20 – p. 92

Commodore LCD – p. 119-126, 229, 254-255

C128 – p. 126-254, 257, 267-269

Amiga – p. 257

Truly,
Robert Bernardo