Best METAL group an oxymoron

Gene W. Smith

Jan 11, 1990, 1:52:39 AM1/11/90

Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you
(non-oxy) morons listen to is a form of torture, do you look at
things any differently?

I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my
chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I
just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or
made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.

Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people? Do
you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Garnetgangster/Berkeley CA 94720
"The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain." -- G Fitch

Miika Kuusinen

Jan 11, 1990, 8:02:45 AM1/11/90

At first I'd like to say this big asshole one thing: Why don't you fuck off
and die? well there are many things in this world that I don't like but I am
still not walking aroung and complaining about those...Stupid scumbags like
you should be taken to mental asylium and put earphones on and play some
'buy-play-throw away' music...So you really think that we metallists cause
all the pain and misery to this world..Haa that really makes me laugh...
You're telling that we make your life miserably...well how come? I would
understand if you had a neighbour with 1 meter of hair and who is farting
all the time and who plays in a band and they are practising in his apartment
but I'm sure you don't have that kind of neighbour...Well I know that you
have never really listened some metal...In my opinion we metallists care
about things more than most people...there are no more bands singing 'hey
satan is our good friend'-crap...lyrics of most bands gives us views to
think...for example Nuclear Assaults 'Handle with care' LP really gives us
something to think about...well if we all should made into catfood etc. I
think that the best future for you is as a toilet paper or 'welcome'-carpet..
just leave us alone...we don't want that kind of bullshit-mails to this
newsgroup...

"Bang that head that doesn't bang!"

I E-mail: me...@kannel.lut.fi Miika Kuusinen I I
I ========================== Linnunrata 10 H 5 I "Hammer of justice I
I IRC: mega 53850 Lappeenranta I crushes you" I
I ========= Suomi Finland I I

lak...@oak.circa.ufl.edu

Jan 11, 1990, 8:51:33 AM1/11/90
Hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion..

Here's mine:
Go fuck yourself with a hedgehog.
In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu>, gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes...

}
}
} Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you
}(non-oxy) morons listen to is a form of torture, do you look at
}things any differently?
}
} I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my
}chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I
}just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or
}made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.
}
} Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people? Do
}you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?
}--
}ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Garnetgangster/Berkeley CA 94720
} "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain." -- G Fitch

+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
|Jeff "The Riffer" Mercer |"Win or lose, nought to choose, all men are equal |
|lak8141%oak.decnet@pine. | when their memory fades. No one knows, friends or |
|circa.ufl.edu | foes, if Valhalla lies beyond the grave." |
| (Internet) | --Deaf Forever by Motorhead |
+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

Petri Halme

Jan 11, 1990, 8:18:50 AM1/11/90
gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

> I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my
>chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I
>just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or
>made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.

Really odd, I do see your point, but I can't understand in what way a heavy-
man could affect your life. 'Cos you don't hear Heavy-Metal in radios and
you don't see Metal-videos in TV... So it is definitely not the music that
harms you!
And I don't concider myself as a puke-bag! I'm just a average human, having
lots of different kind of friends, living in harmony with each other...
Mebbe there's someting wrong in you or your attitude against other people?!

> Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people? Do
>you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?

As for me, I don't like very much that massive disco-rap-house-staff that
attacks me whenever I open the TV or radio, but I can live with (I'm still
mastering my TV)

Besides, I'm sure you have,are and will listen to your music loud, and 'cos
there are more people listening to something else than Metal, we "suffer"
because of you more often than you do!
Just be brave, face the metal like a man (Jason Donovan isn't a man)...

******Advocatus Diaboli******Babe, you broke my heart (so I broke your face)**
** ha...@kannel.lut.fi ** **
** In Real Life: ** Ceterum Censeo Helsinki Esse Delendam **
** Petri Halme ** ----- **
** Punkkerikatu 1B8 ** Besides, I've got no opium of my own **
** 538350 LPR 85 ** ----- **
*************************************Speed Metal: Forte Fortissimo ***********

Buck Dharma @ Club Ninja

Jan 11, 1990, 12:09:50 PM1/11/90

I'm glad this pissant's life is hell. All we have to do is turn off the
computer to keep from seeing his whinning. He proabaly has to listen to
it from his neighbors or someshit. (The pooze brain was appearently so
annoyed that he couldn't think straight and let us know HOW he was bothered)
But who gives a fuck anyway huh?

My answer to this guys problem lyes with one bullet.

"If it's too loud, crank it up so you can't hear the neighbors complain."
-98.9 WBYR (the bear)

Blair P. Houghton

Jan 11, 1990, 2:55:25 PM1/11/90
In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
> Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you
>(non-oxy) morons listen to is a form of torture, do you look at
>things any differently?

Yeah. Too bad they din't play any SeX PiStOlS. We've been
trying to get them onto the NATO list of banned substances
for years.

--Blair
"I want to beeeeeee
An ar cheeeeeeeeee."

Bill Wisner

Jan 11, 1990, 3:39:43 PM1/11/90
In article <11...@kannel.lut.fi> me...@kannel.lut.fi (Miika Kuusinen) writes:

>"Bang that head that doesn't bang!"

How very thought-provoking.

w.

Bill Wisner

Jan 11, 1990, 3:44:47 PM1/11/90
phr...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Buck Dharma @ Club Ninja) writes:

>My answer to this guys problem lyes with one bullet.

How very thought-provoking.

w.

....What Is?....

Jan 11, 1990, 4:51:28 PM1/11/90
In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

> Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you
>(non-oxy) morons listen to is a form of torture, do you look at
>things any differently?

First of all, I KNOW that your entire post is a joke. No one could
possibly be as anal-retentive and stupid as you come off to be.
Now, it's well known that Noriega was an opera fan. So to him,
metal WOULD be a form of torture. And if you listen to the songs
they were playing, there was "You're no good" by The Supremes (I
think) and "Voodoo Child" by Jimi Hendrix (which is a '60s
psychedelic song, not metal.) And finally, it wasn't TORTURE, it
was PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE. If someone played opera to me 24 hrs a
day I'd consider it psychological warfare.

> I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my
>chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I
>just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or
>made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.

You hate my guts? Well I'm not going to let you eat them anyways.
I've made your life miserable? You're in Berkeley, and I'm in San
Diego, and I'm not playing my stereo THAT loud. Puke bags? Catfood?
Lamp shades? This is so pathetic and whiny that I'm not even going
to dignify it with an answer. So, you hate heavy metal. So your
emotions are not aggressive. That's why I like heavy metal; I can
identify with the aggression. Just because you have no aggression
doesn't mean we're wrong. I bet you lots of money that you wouldn't
have the guts to say that to an audience of metalheads in person.
Just on a computer network, so you can sit at home, try to assert
your feeble masculinity, and jerk off to the alt.sex stories.

> Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people? Do
>you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?

Agony? I think the agony in your life has much more valid sources
than metal. Have you ever thought about the agony that the artist
would have to be put through to write such songs? Consider Black
Sabbath (original lineup): to write such supernatural, abstract,
depressing lyrics, poor Ozzy must have had an incredibly tough
childhood. (I know I did!) And as for turning it down already, I
already told you my stereo isn't that loud. Do you only object to
metal being played loud? Maybe this is all originating from the
fact that one of your neighbors has been playing loud metal lately.
Why don't you walk over and ask them to turn it down? Or is that
too much of an intense social encounter for you? I suppose it
might.

/-----------------------------V-----------------------------------------------\
| Steve Boswell | Marriage is probably the chief cause of |
| Internet: sbos...@ucsd.edu | divorce... S.P.S. |
| UUCP: !ucsd!sboswell | |
| Bitnet: SBOSWELL@UCSD | Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives. |
\-----------------------------A-----------------------------------------------/

Bill Wisner

Jan 11, 1990, 4:09:34 PM1/11/90
pa1...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (....What Is?....) writes:

>That's why I like heavy metal; I can identify with the aggression.

How very thought-provoking.

w.

Bill Wisner

Jan 11, 1990, 3:45:51 PM1/11/90

> Go fuck yourself with a hedgehog.

How very thought-provoking.

w.

Mister Canoehead

Jan 11, 1990, 5:42:11 PM1/11/90

I know you want us all to respond with multiple-page messages filled with
nothing but profanity and personal attacks at you, but I'm not going to do that
favor.
I just hope that someday you get over whatever it is that makes you such an
immature, intolering wreck of a man.

If you really claim that Heavy Metal did this to you, would you mind
explaining to us just how it happened? Or do you just need some attention and
posting a message like yours was the best way you knew how to get it?

Dylan Salisbury
can...@ucscb.ucsc.edu

lak...@oak.circa.ufl.edu

Jan 11, 1990, 6:12:27 PM1/11/90
In article <10...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, phr...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Buck Dharma @ Club Ninja) writes...

}"If it's too loud, crank it up so you can't hear the neighbors complain."
} -98.9 WBYR (the bear)

"Crank it up and PISS OFF the neighbors!"
--GatorRock 1390 AM

lak...@oak.circa.ufl.edu

Jan 11, 1990, 6:15:39 PM1/11/90
In article <WISNER.90J...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>, wis...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes...
}How very thought-provoking.

You got a program to answer messages for you or something??

John Paul Jones

Jan 11, 1990, 5:52:27 PM1/11/90
We-hell, looky what we got here.
You know, thus far in my posting career I've tried to refrain from
all out profanity. But let me tell you I am severely tempted.
But think about it. Why did this guy post this horseshit? Not because
he was afraid of hate mail. Oh no. He wants attention. One of the
easiest ways to find something to do is to fill up your hollow life
by attacking others. All this guy really wants to do is get attention
and fill up a mailbox that's probably been empty for a while. So just
ignore him. He has no power. As far as I'm concerned he's just a
attention seeking child.

-John Paul Jones
"Live In Security,
Die In Obscurity."

William Christiano

Jan 12, 1990, 9:41:01 AM1/12/90
In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

> I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my
>chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I
>just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or
>made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.
>
> Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people? Do
>you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?
>--

You should have exersized a bit of tact here because you are just a
babbling idiot otherwise. You may have had some constructive things
to say, but the only point you seemed to drive home is the one on your
HEAD. You could have said anything in your own defence, but it's too
late for you now. It sounds to me like you think you are some
righteous, cultured soul who's wisdom should be held as law. SORRY
CHARLIE, but you have just demonstrated the closed-mindedness that
drives the energy into the music that we prefer to hear. You've done
absolutely nothing for your cause what so ever. Maybe you've got kids
that have gone astray and you're blaming the music. SORRY AGAIN, but
if a kid has a good faith inside him, he won't be as likely to take
the satanic things seriously. (I won't go into details, but I always
said "They never refer to satan as good, only bad or negative things
are associated with him" until I talked with a well versed friend.
I suggest that everyone find a spiritual person to tell you why are
music and other types of music are considered bad. Especially if
that person used to be into metal.) That is taught by the parents
such as mine did with me. Don't blame us for your agony. Your
attitude draws agony to you. Don't blame all metal listeners for
the social problems we have today. Don't categorize all of us as bad.
Each of us is from a different walk of life and probably do you some
good in some way, though your blinders won't let you see that. Your
probably worse to your heighbors then most of us in this group.
Chill out and try to take the time to understand before you go
shooting your mouth off.

Bill C.

BIFF

Jan 11, 1990, 8:56:39 PM1/11/90
lak...@oak.circa.ufl.edu writes :

HI JEFF (OR SHOULD I CALL YOU "THE RIFFER" :-) :-) I GUESS THEN
THAT YOU COULD CALL ME "THE BIFFER" HA HA. I JUST THOUGHT YOU
SHOULD KNOW THAT THE ANSWER TO YOU"RE QUESTION IS "OR SOMETHING."

HEY WANNA SEE MY NEATO GUITAR PICTURE HERE IT IS ::
( )
( )
--
PRETTY NEAT HUH? WELL I HAVE TO GO NOW
UNTIL I TALK TO YOU NEXT "ROCK OUT WITH YOU"RE COCK OUT DUDE!!!!" :-) :-)

BIFF

VM Weenie

Jan 11, 1990, 9:40:22 PM1/11/90
In article <11...@kannel.lut.fi>, ha...@kannel.lut.fi (Petri Halme) says:

>[...] we "suffer"

>because of you more often than you do!

Is this the same guy who said heavy metal doesn't damage anyone? Hey, look
what it did to his brain.

-- Peter

David C Lawrence

Jan 12, 1990, 12:34:46 AM1/12/90

RRRRRR
R R
R R O K K K K E N
R R O O K K K K E E N N N
RRRRR O O K K K K E E NN N
R R O O KK KK EEEEEEE N N
R R O O KKK KKK E N N
R R O O K KK K KK E EE N N
R RR O K K K K EE N NN
========================== K ====== K =====================
Darrin W. NeSmith K K
nes...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu K K

Just in case y'all missed it, I thought you should see Darrin W.
NeSmith's neato, groovy keen .signature. In fact, even if you did get
to see it then you've probably enjoyed seeing it again, even if you
didn't realize it. Glad I could oblige.

Bill Wisner

Jan 11, 1990, 9:37:10 PM1/11/90
pa1...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (....What Is?....) writes:

>What's with all the "thought-provoking" messages? This is obviously
>patronization. You're not superior.

Yes I am.

w.

John Woods

Jan 12, 1990, 12:07:00 AM1/12/90
In article <10...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, phr...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Buck Dharma @ Club Ninja) writes:

> I'm glad this pissant's life is hell. All we have to do is turn off the
> computer to keep from seeing his whinning.

Oh, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZE!

Well, at least what THEY say about Heavy Metal causing its listeners to
become mindlessly violent microcephalics isn't true.

> My answer to this guys problem lyes with one bullet.

Of course, I *could* be wrong.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, jo...@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, j...@eddie.mit.edu

Happiness is Planet Earth in your rear-view mirror. - Sam Hurt

John Woods

Jan 11, 1990, 11:58:00 PM1/11/90
In article <11...@kannel.lut.fi>, me...@kannel.lut.fi (Miika Kuusinen) writes:
W> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
o> > Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you
t> >(non-oxy) morons listen to is a form of torture, do you look at
> >things any differently?
a> > I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my

> >chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I
d> >just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or
i> >made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.
l> > Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people? Do
d> >you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?
o> >--
-> >ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Garnetgangster/Berkeley CA 94720
h> > "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain." -- G Fitch
e>
a> At first I'd like to say this big asshole one thing: Why don't you fuck off
d> and die?

Now, what was that .signature again?

> > "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain." -- G Fitch

I'm sorry, I didn't catch that; what was it again?

> > "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain." -- G Fitch

Ah. Yes. I see.

So it *is* true that repeated exposure to heavy metal causes problems
with reading comprehension!

> "Bang that head that doesn't bang!"

Guest of Honor time!

John Woods

Jan 12, 1990, 12:04:00 AM1/12/90
In article <11...@kannel.lut.fi>, ha...@kannel.lut.fi (Petri Halme) writes:
> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
> > I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my
> >chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I
> >just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or
> >made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.
> Really odd, I do see your point, but I can't understand in what way a heavy-
> man could affect your life.

OK, folks; this is the third response I've seen, and I am sure there are
many more thundering their way here. LISTEN UP: say Gene's .signature out
loud:

The chain that can be yanked is not the eternal chain. - G. Fitch

Now, repeat it over and over again until you understand it, or until your
head explodes. Thank you.

....What Is?....

Jan 11, 1990, 7:37:09 PM1/11/90
In article <WISNER.90J...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wis...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>That's why I like heavy metal; I can identify with the aggression.
>
>How very thought-provoking.

What's with all the "thought-provoking" messages? This is obviously

patronization. You're not superior.

/-----------------------------V-----------------------------------------------\

Mr. Scary

Jan 11, 1990, 9:20:05 PM1/11/90
In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu>, gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
> Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you
> (non-oxy) morons listen to is a form of torture, do you look at
> things any differently?

Yes, I do. I now realize, as you have stated, that I am nothing but crap. I
should not even be allowed to exist in the same physical plane as you do. I
have now dedicated myself to living my life whith one goal: To live up to your
and the U.S. Army's high standards.

> I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my
> chest--I hate your guts.

Gee, that's funny, I don't even know you. But you haven't made a very good
first impression. But then again, that is my fault.

> You've made my life miserable,

So the master plan has been fulfilled.

> and I just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or made
> into lamp-shades.

My cat has better taste than to eat crap like me.

> GOD do I hate heavy metal.

Don't listen to it. Or better yet, kill all the heavy metal crapheads. Still
better yet, kill all the metal bands -- stop it at the source. You would be
vindicated for relieving society of me and others like me.

> Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people?

Sure every night I lay awake wishing I could change.

> Do you care?

Crap like me can't care. We can't think, feel, or be productive either.

> Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?

I forgot how.

> --
> ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Garnetgangster/Berkeley CA 94720
> "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain." -- G Fitch

P.S. Why ARE you such an asshole?

Ken Dykes

Jan 11, 1990, 8:38:55 PM1/11/90

What? the words of Burch dont inspire you?
Ok how about some words from Hetfield/Ulrich...

With all out screaming
We are gonna rip right through YOUR BRAIN
We got the lethal power
It is causing YOU sweet PAIN oh sweet pain
When we start to rock
We never want to stop again...

--
- Ken Dykes, Software Development Group, UofWaterloo, Canada [43.47N 80.52W]
kgd...@watmath.waterloo.edu [129.97.128.1]

Ken Dykes

Jan 11, 1990, 8:45:20 PM1/11/90

How very thought provoking that someone could use an ARMY action as part
of some flimsey excuse and then turn around and make a little snide
innuendo on the concept of agression...

And by the light of the moon
He prays for their beauty not doom
With heart he blesses them
God's creatures; all of them too.

Actually a little time inside an iron maiden would do you some good...

Blair P. Houghton

Jan 12, 1990, 1:08:27 PM1/12/90
In article <10...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> phr...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Buck Dharma @ Club Ninja) writes:

>I'm glad this pissant's life is hell. All we have to do is turn off the
>computer to keep from seeing his whinning. He proabaly has to listen to
>it from his neighbors or someshit. (The pooze brain was appearently so
>annoyed that he couldn't think straight and let us know HOW he was bothered)
>But who gives a fuck anyway huh?

Awwwwwwwwesomeduuuuuuuude... liner notes from the net...

--Blair
"Didn't Robert Plant sing
that at Altamont in '87?"

steven nahas

Jan 12, 1990, 12:55:44 PM1/12/90

(again and again and again)

>How very thought-provoking.

How very Trishish (tm). Really.

>w.

sna...@td2cad.intel.com
minidot.sig

Blair P. Houghton

Jan 12, 1990, 1:26:51 PM1/12/90
In article <21...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> NES...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Mr. Scary) writes:
> RRRRRR
> R R
> R R O K K K K E N
> R R O O K K K K E E N N N
> RRRRR O O K K K K E E NN N
> R R O O KK KK EEEEEEE N N
> R R O O KKK KKK E N N
> R R O O K KK K KK E EE N N
> R RR O K K K K EE N NN
>========================== K ====== K =====================
>Darrin W. NeSmith K K
>nes...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu K K

I read somewhere that penis size is inversely proportional
to the number of K's in one's favorite heavy-metal phrase.

Could someone check the back issues of Creem and confirm
this for me?

--Blair
"...and Freud's eyes got as
big as cafe saucers, and little
dollarsigns appeared where
his irises had been only
mega-seconds before..."

K.N.R. Conner

Jan 12, 1990, 11:06:12 AM1/12/90
In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

> Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you
>(non-oxy) morons listen to is a form of torture, do you look at
>things any differently?

Since you seem to be interested in what has been determined by someone, let me
share with you the results of tests which were carried out here in Britain.
These tests were designed to assess the damage caused to the ear by listening to
loud music from a walkman, and a demonstration of the tests were shown on live
TV. The results I can remember are :-

Music db (decibals measured at full volume)
----- --
Jason Donovan (sp?) 110
Classical 110
Iron Maiden 100

What does this tell you shit head?

> I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my

>chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I

>just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or

>made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.

You weren't invited into this group so if you don't like us, you know where you
can go! Are you always so offensive to someone who is unfortunate enough to
like something that you don't? Boy you must have a boring social life.
No friends? I wonder why!

> Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people? Do
>you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?

Are you really so thick? You must be putting this on surely!
Have you ever been to a disco of any kind? Did you have your ear protectors
with you? No? Naughty boy!!

My brother likes pop music and he plays his music louder than I play mine.
Do you understand what I am saying? No? Well let me explain ...
It's not the music which chooses the volume, it's the person whose playing it.
Do you understand now?

Why don't you do us all a favour and shut up. Please believe me, we won't be
missing anything if you do. If this letter is anything to go by, your views on
other subjects are biased, unsubstantiated (sp?) and certainly unwelcome.

Before you decide to talk again, put your brain back in and think first!!!

>ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Garnetgangster/Berkeley CA 94720

e h h
e a i
t t <-- I could have done better but
a h who wants to waste too much
e time on someone like this.

Confucious he say :- Man who wants to plant row of corn
must first shovel ton of shit :-)

Bye y'all
Kev
Kevin Conner | JANET : K.N.R....@uk.ac.newcastle
| ARPA : K.N.R....@newcastle.ac.uk
| UUCP : ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!K.N.R.Conner

Joel B Levin

Jan 12, 1990, 4:08:31 PM1/12/90
In article <60...@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa1...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (....What Is?....) writes:
|In article <WISNER.90J...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wis...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
|>>That's why I like heavy metal; I can identify with the aggression.
|>
|>How very thought-provoking.
|
|What's with all the "thought-provoking" messages? This is obviously
|patronization. You're not superior.

Congratulations, Bill. Worked like a charm.
/JBL
=

Nets: le...@bbn.com | "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
or {...}!bbn!levin | bureau that morning. Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463 | stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

Marcus J. Ranum

Jan 12, 1990, 5:37:05 PM1/12/90
In article <1990Jan12.1...@newcastle.ac.uk> K.N.R....@newcastle.ac.uk (K.N.R. Conner) writes:
>Music db (decibals measured at full volume)
>----- --
>Jason Donovan (sp?) 110
>Classical 110
>Iron Maiden 100
>
>What does this tell you shit head?

It tells you nothing whatsoever about the recording levels/distortion,
etc, of the music. Also, "classical" - depending on who you are and where you
were raised - could be anything from Barbara Striesand to Beethoven.

Sure 'an I could play Telarc's digital recording of the 1812 through
my discman with my good phones and hurt myself a lot more than any amount of
heavy metal.

Of course, listening to that hyped-up teenage mush is another matter.
Then again, people do the damndest things - look who is our president.

mjr.
--
He was in his room half awake, half asleep. The walls of the room
seemed to alter angles, elongating and shrinking alternately, then twisting

Richard Sexton

Jan 12, 1990, 6:41:10 PM1/12/90
In article <60...@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa1...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (....What Is?....) writes:
>In article <WISNER.90J...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wis...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>>That's why I like heavy metal; I can identify with the aggression.
>>
>>How very thought-provoking.
>
>What's with all the "thought-provoking" messages? This is obviously
>patronization. You're not superior.

Yes he is.

Here a few reasons why:

10) Bill absorbs 27% his weight inxs CD's
9) Bill eats more salmon than you do, pa1129
8) Bill knows BIFF, personally
7) Bill has more USENET accounts than any other living human
6) Bill has his own comic strip
5) Bill does not have those annoying nose hairs
4) Bill is reccomended by 3 out of 4 net.goddesses for the prevention of
tooth decay
3) Bill does not own a Brittany spaniel, or a snake
2) Bill never be confused for Richard Brasshole

and the number one reason why Bill Wisner is superior:

1) He doesn't post from BITNET

(Hey Bill, can you get me one of those Salmon skin wallets ? Large
enough to hold that big UK money, with slits to hold credit cards
on both sides, none of this dopey coin holder or plastic drivers
license compartments)

Richard Sexton

Jan 12, 1990, 6:05:37 PM1/12/90
>In article <WISNER.90J...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>, wis...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes...
>}How very thought-provoking.
>
>You got a program to answer messages for you or something??

You got a program to answer messages for you or something?? Roger.

Richard Sexton

Jan 12, 1990, 5:52:44 PM1/12/90
In article <=SN2F^@rpi.edu> ta...@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:

> RRRRRR
> R R
> R R O L K K A
> R R O O L K K A A
> RRRRR O O L K K A A
> R O O L KK AAAAAAA
> R O O L KKK A A
> R O O L K KK A A
> R O LLLLLL K K A A
>=================================== K ============
>Darrin W. NeSmith K
>nes...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu K
>
>Just in case y'all missed it, I thought you should see Darrin W.
>NeSmith's neato, groovy keen .signature. In fact, even if you did get
>to see it then you've probably enjoyed seeing it again, even if you
>didn't realize it. Glad I could oblige.

Needs work.

Yer Welcome.

Gene W. Smith

Jan 12, 1990, 10:21:14 PM1/12/90
In article <1990Jan12.1...@newcastle.ac.uk>, K.N.R.Conner@newcastle (K.N.R. Conner) writes:

>These tests were designed to assess the damage caused to the ear
>by listening to loud music from a walkman, and a demonstration of
>the tests were shown on live TV. The results I can remember are:

>Music db (decibals measured at full volume)
>----- --
>Jason Donovan (sp?) 110
>Classical 110
>Iron Maiden 100

>What does this tell you shit head?

It tells me that you are too stupid to realize that any kind of
music can be cranked up to 100+ decibels, unless it's Cage's
4'33". It tells me you don't know what dynamic range is, since
the stuff you listen to is always set at Deafening. It tells me
that you are a typical metal-head--i.e. a loser with no brains,
no culture and a bad attitude. It also tells me that you
are likely to have progressive hearing loss with age. (My
hearing is very good for my age, by the bye.)

>You weren't invited into this group so if you don't like us, you
>know where you can go!

I don't *need* an invitation, penis-nose. This is the alt.net.
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!bosco!gsmith Institute of Pi Research

Bill Wisner

Jan 12, 1990, 7:10:06 PM1/12/90
K.N.R....@newcastle.ac.uk (K.N.R. Conner) writes:

>What does this tell you shit head?

Time to buy a new Walkman.

w.

Richard Sexton

Jan 12, 1990, 6:09:01 PM1/12/90
In article <10...@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> hol...@agnes.stolaf.edu (John Paul Jones) writes:
>We-hell, looky what we got here.
>You know, thus far in my posting career I've tried to refrain from
>all out profanity. But let me tell you I am severely tempted.
>But think about it. Why did this guy post this horseshit?

He posted it to settle a bet. Gene said ``there are some real
fucking idiots in alt.rock-n-roll.metal, and I said ``Oh Gene,
no they're not''.

> -John Paul Jones

So I was wrong. Sue me.

Gene W. Smith

Jan 12, 1990, 10:28:57 PM1/12/90
In article <24...@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon (Richard Sexton) writes:

>>But think about it. Why did this guy post this horseshit?

>He posted it to settle a bet. Gene said ``there are some real
>fucking idiots in alt.rock-n-roll.metal, and I said ``Oh Gene,
>no they're not''.

It's a damn good thing I won, too. If I lost, I would have had
to take a vote on sci.heavymetal over on news.groups.

Eat Plutonium 239 and die, metalheads!

--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

"To name the unnamable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments,
shape the world and stop it from going asleep". -- 'The Satanic Verses'

Elton Wildermuth

Jan 12, 1990, 9:35:34 PM1/12/90
Uh huh. Here's a rocker that's so totally skag he doesn't have to demean
his ears by listening to that wimp wallpaper music on the FM band:

>"Crank it up and PISS OFF the neighbors!"
> --GatorRock 1390 AM

>|Jeff "The Riffer" Mercer |"Win or lose, nought to choose, all men are equal |
>|lak8141%oak.decnet@pine. | when their memory fades. No one knows, friends or |
>|circa.ufl.edu | foes, if Valhalla lies beyond the grave." |

And if we wait long enough, we might even finally hear a metal group that
can do better than doggerel poetry and high-school philosophy. Maybe.

Son, I am so impressed, I don't know whether to shit or to wind my watch.

-- Elton
+++
Guess I'll just have to shit on my watch.

John Woods

Jan 12, 1990, 4:12:00 PM1/12/90
In article <21...@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, lak...@oak.circa.ufl.edu writes:
> In article <WISNER.90J...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>, wis...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes...
> }How very thought-provoking.
>
> You got a program to answer messages for you or something??

No, but for 15 cents I'll send him a program to automagically cancel every
damn article in alt.rock-n-roll.dildoheads.

John Woods

Jan 12, 1990, 4:26:00 PM1/12/90

He's right, you know.

Gene W. Smith

Jan 13, 1990, 4:46:35 AM1/13/90
In article <11...@frog.UUCP>, john@frog (John Woods) writes:

>The 1990 "Shooting Fish In a Barrel" award is being awarded early to the
>year's obvious winner, "Best METAL group an oxymoron", by our favorite
>Gene Ward Smith.

I tried shooting fish in a barrel, but the sci.fish people were
too wet and slimy for me. They just didn't rise to the bait, but
fortunately, in alt.rock-n-roll.metal we have a group created by
a typical Penn State vacuum-skull and populated by, yes,
metalheads. Dear dear.

Speaking of fish in a barrel, I notice Tad is still swimming
around.

--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

"I now realize, as you have stated, that I am nothing but crap" -- Mr. Scary

John Woods

Jan 12, 1990, 4:16:00 PM1/12/90

In article <10...@thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, hol...@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (John Paul Jones) writes:
> But think about it. Why did this guy post this horseshit? Not because
> he was afraid of hate mail. Oh no. He wants attention.

One or two metalheads DO appear to have gotten the joke.

> So just ignore him.

But they still lack the Zen of Not-Posting.

Blair P. Houghton

Jan 13, 1990, 10:40:12 PM1/13/90
In article <79...@sybase.sybase.com> el...@fnord.sybase.UUCP (Elton Wildermuth) writes:
>And if we wait long enough, we might even finally hear a metal group that
>can do better than doggerel poetry and high-school philosophy. Maybe.

There used to be one, but it was called an acid-rock band, and then
Hendrix choked in his own barf, and they were covering Bob Dylan's
songs...

...maybe you're just plain right...

--Blair
"So you see, except for the silken cords
connecting it to the ceiling, the Rolls
Royce turbofan engine, and the fact
that it's actually a condor,
_this_pig_is_flying!_"

John Woods

Jan 14, 1990, 12:30:00 AM1/14/90
In article <33...@watmath.waterloo.edu>, kgd...@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) writes:
> In article <WISNER.90J...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wis...@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
> >pa1...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (....What Is?....) writes:
> >>That's why I like heavy metal; I can identify with the aggression.
> >How very thought-provoking.
>
> Actually a little time inside an iron maiden would do you some good...

How very, VERY, thought-provoking.

Blair P. Houghton

Jan 14, 1990, 5:56:22 PM1/14/90
In article <33...@cci632.UUCP> w...@ccird7.UUCP (William Christiano) writes:
>In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>>you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?
[...much winding up and letting go deleted...]
> attitude draws agony to you. Don't blame all metal listeners for
> the social problems we have today. Don't categorize all of us as bad.
> Each of us is from a different walk of life and probably do you some
> good in some way, though your blinders won't let you see that. Your
> probably worse to your heighbors then most of us in this group.
> Chill out and try to take the time to understand before you go
> shooting your mouth off.

Yeah! And look both ways before you cross the fucking street, ass-hole!

--Blair
"Kkokkken Rules, dude!"

Thomas A. Dowe

Jan 15, 1990, 1:40:16 AM1/15/90
In article <1990Jan13.0...@agate.berkeley.edu> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>In article <11...@frog.UUCP>, john@frog (John Woods) writes:
>
>>The 1990 "Shooting Fish In a Barrel" award is being awarded early to the
>>year's obvious winner, "Best METAL group an oxymoron", by our favorite
>>Gene Ward Smith.

> I tried shooting fish in a barrel, but the sci.fish people were
>too wet and slimy for me. They just didn't rise to the bait, but
>fortunately, in alt.rock-n-roll.metal we have a group created by
>a typical Penn State vacuum-skull and populated by, yes,
>metalheads. Dear dear.

Yes, of course, another of the elitists with nothing to do. Finish
with all the bugs on the newsreader, Gene? I noticed that you exclud-
ed portal in your tiresome attempts at ad hominem. Are you and the
other gangs dividing up the various sheep?

> Speaking of fish in a barrel, I notice Tad is still swimming
>around.

At the advise of a wise sage, I gave up on the fish food and now cleave
to puppy chow(tm). As you very well know, I don't take one step away
from principle whether in the water or on dry land. Care to try?

Tad
to...@pulsar.telcom.tek.com

Axel Fischer

Jan 15, 1990, 6:06:52 AM1/15/90
ric...@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>and the number one reason why Bill Wisner is superior:
>1) He doesn't post from BITNET

Superb! :-) :-) :-)

-Axel

--
fis...@utower.gopas.sub.org / fis...@db0tui6.BITNET / fis...@tmpmbx.UUCP
Bang-Europe : ...!{doitcr,gopnbg,smurf,tmpmbx}!utower!fischer

Petri Halme

Jan 15, 1990, 6:16:55 AM1/15/90
PJB...@PSUVM.BITNET (VM Weenie) writes:

>In article <11...@kannel.lut.fi>, ha...@kannel.lut.fi (Petri Halme) says:
>>
>>[...] we "suffer"
>>because of you more often than you do!

> Is this the same guy who said heavy metal doesn't damage anyone? Hey, look
>what it did to his brain.

No, I wasn't the one who said that!
Brains? What are they? (something eatable or what?)
(God, I hate flame-wars...- and that is for sure!)

******Advocatus Diaboli******Babe, you broke my heart (so I broke your face)**
** ha...@kannel.lut.fi ** **
** In Real Life: ** Ceterum Censeo Helsinki Esse Delendam **
** Petri Halme ** ----- **
** Punkkerikatu 1B8 ** Besides, I've got no opium of my own **
** 538350 LPR 85 ** ----- **
*************************************Speed Metal: Forte Fortissimo ***********

Diane Holt

Jan 15, 1990, 11:05:16 AM1/15/90
In article <11...@kannel.lut.fi> ha...@kannel.lut.fi (Petri Halme) writes:
>And I don't concider myself as a puke-bag! I'm just a average human, having
>lots of different kind of friends, living in harmony with each other...
>
>Mebbe there's someting wrong in you or your attitude against other people?!

Mebbe.

>******Advocatus Diaboli******Babe, you broke my heart (so I broke your face)**

Mebbe not.

Diane Holt
(dia...@binky.UUCP)

"Meeth (n.) Something that doctors will shortly tell us we are all
suffering from."

Diane Holt

Jan 15, 1990, 11:10:06 AM1/15/90
In article <33...@cci632.UUCP> w...@ccird7.UUCP (William Christiano) writes:
>You should have exersized a bit of tact here [...]

[Tactless paragraph deleted.]

>[...] because you are just a babbling idiot otherwise.

Oh.

Oops.

Sorry.

Diane Holt
(dia...@binky.UUCP)

"Guaranteed fresh."

Stephen King

Jan 15, 1990, 8:34:25 AM1/15/90
In article <1990Jan12.1...@newcastle.ac.uk> K.N.R....@newcastle.ac.uk (K.N.R. Conner) writes:
>loud music from a walkman, and a demonstration of the tests were shown on live
>TV. The results I can remember are :-
>
>Music db (decibals measured at full volume)
>----- --
>Jason Donovan (sp?) 110
>Classical 110
>Iron Maiden 100
>
>What does this tell you shit head?

Tells me that you don't know how to use facts to support any kind of an
argument. What the hell is it supposed to mean? All that is shown is that
the Iron Maiden tape has the lowest output of the three (somehow I'm not
surprised). Now, try going to a concert and sitting in the front row. I'll
take Mozart and you can have Iron Maiden; we'll see whose's hearing (and
sanity) last the longest.

The motto of most heavy metal acts:
"We may not be good, but damn, are we LOUD!"

And I should know - I worked in the rock music business for several years and
am half deaf in one ear as a result of it - most of the musicians I worked
with are now deaf in both ears. Oh, that was before 'Heavy Metal' was a
thing on its own - it was all called rock back then.

Richard Sexton

Jan 15, 1990, 5:16:50 PM1/15/90
In article <1990Jan12.1...@newcastle.ac.uk> K.N.R....@newcastle.ac.uk (K.N.R. Conner) writes:

KNR Conner ? Really ? I think I knew your brother, ANSI Conner.

>In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>>
>> Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you
>>(non-oxy) morons listen to is a form of torture, do you look at
>>things any differently?
>>

>Since you seem to be interested in what has been determined by someone, let me
>share with you the results of tests which were carried out here in Britain.

>These tests were designed to assess the damage caused to the ear by listening to

>loud music from a walkman, and a demonstration of the tests were shown on live
>TV. The results I can remember are :-
>
>Music db (decibals measured at full volume)
>----- --
>Jason Donovan (sp?) 110
>Classical 110
>Iron Maiden 100
>
>What does this tell you shit head?

First off, we have to assume your memory is intact enough for you to have
perfect recall. Now, you aren't one of those (gasp! shock! Horror) pot
smoking degenerate rock'n'roll scum are you ?

yes -----> END

no ------> 1

1) forget your data for a second, what this does tell me shit head
is that you can not write veddy well.

You wouldn't happen to be one of those English people with the
hoplessly deformed bad teeth would you ?

yes -----> dentist

no ------> 2

2) Ok, now we get to a serious analysis of your data. YOU DON'T
ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT SHIT DO YOU ?

yes -----> Looney bin

no ------> 3

3) Well good. Why are you wasting our time then ? Say, you wouldn't
happen to be one of those funny looking English people with the
big ears and nose, like a ferrett with a glandular problem or
a member of the Royal family would you ?

yes -----> Get the fuck out of town

no ------> 4

4)

>> I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my
>>chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I
>>just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or
>>made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.
>

>Have you ever been to a disco of any kind?

Snappy comeback, homeboy.

--
``Say, youaren't one of those HIGHLY INBRED English people are you?''

Adrian N Ogden

Jan 15, 1990, 11:24:27 AM1/15/90
In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu>
gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
> Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you
>(non-oxy) morons listen to is a form of torture, do you look at
>things any differently?

Of course not. The US Army is as entitled to it's own opinions as you or I.
Metal tends to take a strong anti-war stance on the grounds that a waste of
human life is unjustified. Iron Maiden's "Two Minutes to Midnight" and
Metallica's "Disposable Heroes" are just two examples. I'm not surprised that
the US army wants to brand such music a torture.

As to Metal being 'crap', this is purely subjective. Listen to it seriously,
try to work out what the musicians are actually doing, learn to play it to
a creditable standard on the instrument of your choice, then come back and
say whatever you like. Whether you suceed or fail you will be better informed
and more thoughtful in your attitude towards metal. If you refuse and have
nothing but bad-mothings for the genre, you will insult nothing but your own
intelligence.

> I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my
>chest--I hate your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I
>just wish all you puke-bags could be ground up for catfood or
>made into lamp-shades. GOD do I hate heavy metal.

See above point about insulting your own intelligence.

> Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people? Do

>you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?

If someone plays anything - whether it be Oscar Peterson, New Kids On The
Block or the 1812 Overture - at an unacceptable volume, I will go and ask
them to show a little consideration and turn it down. Politely. If other
people ask me to do the same with equal politeness I will. A thoughtless
harangue such as yours shows no respect, and earns no respect in return.

I have attempted to present my opinions clearly and intelligently. Since
you did neither I feel that the previous posters were justified in
replying in a less reasoned manner. They probably assumed it was all you
were capable of understanding, and that is entirely your own fault.

/|| ||\ || ///\\\ # Adrian Ogden - a...@rdg.ac.uk #
//|| ||\\ || || || #======================================#
//=|| || \\|| || || # All generalizations are dangerous, #
// || || \|| \\\/// # including this one. #

John Joseph Swick, Jr.

Jan 15, 1990, 4:50:06 PM1/15/90

I wasn't gonna add to all this, but I just gotta.

1) If Gene W. Smith meant what he said, then the idiocy
speaks for itself.

2) If he truly meant it as a joke or provocation, or whatever the heck,
then it was far less than a mature thing to do. It doesn't take any
brains to provoke people, especially with electronic communications.
At first I thought, "Uh, oh, everybody's fallen for this lame ruse". Then
it hit me, No...they are in the right to strike back. And why did people
strike back? Because they expect SINCERITY on the network. Due
to the nature of these network communications, they trust others to
express well-formed opinions and not to waste their time. When I see
opinions I consider stupid or moronic, I at least want to believe that the
person who said it believes it.

What Mr. Smith has done is to create an air of distrust,
not a good thing on any network or network bboard. Nice abuse of
trust, dude. On one hand I think, "Why did people even dignify that post
with a response?". On the other hand, I think we see now how well that
post backfired in Mr. Smith's face. The united stand against the post
only served to fuel the fire of the love these metalheads have of Heavy Metal!

---J. J.
js...@andrew.cmu.edu

PS - I have no time for elitists like this, we're all small potatoes in
God's eyes.

Gene W. Smith

Jan 15, 1990, 7:51:48 PM1/15/90
In article <oZgYKCC00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, js8q+@andrew

(John Joseph Swick, Jr.) writes:

>It doesn't take any brains to provoke people, especially with
>electronic communications.

It sometimes takes brains to provoke people, but it doesn't
take much to provoke metalheads. Why else is my coveted "Fish in
a Barrel" award already gracing my wall, eh?

>What Mr. Smith has done is to create an air of distrust, not a
>good thing on any network or network bboard.

This aint a bboard, this is the alt.net. It's about time you
grew up and learned the difference.

>On the other hand, I think we see now how well that post
>backfired in Mr. Smith's face.

Actually, I laughed myself silly over the response I got. You
people are soooooooo stupid! Oh, and sorry about your newsgroup
cancellation message, speaking of things blowing up in peoples
faces.

>PS - I have no time for elitists like this, we're all small
>potatoes in God's eyes.

You should hear what God thinks of heavy metal sometime.

Diane Holt

Jan 16, 1990, 5:43:56 PM1/16/90
In the referenced article js...@andrew.cmu.edu (John Joseph Swick, Jr.) writes:
>I wasn't gonna add to all this, but I just gotta.

Do ya'? Do ya' gotta really?

>1) If Gene W. Smith meant what he said, then the idiocy
> speaks for itself.

Interesting ... I always thought idiocy spoke for itself regardless of
what Gene Ward Smith did or didn't mean by whatever he does or doesn't
say.

Hey -- I could be wrong...

>2) If he truly meant it as a joke or provocation, or whatever the heck,
>then it was far less than a mature thing to do.

Gosh darn and shucky-beans, it sure was.

>At first I thought, "Uh, oh, everybody's fallen for this lame ruse". Then
>it hit me, No...they are in the right to strike back. And why did people
>strike back? Because they expect SINCERITY on the network.

Well, nnn-o, I don't think that was quite what it was...

They struck back because they got so threatened by someone else
bad-mouthing their choice in music -- they got de-<tada>-fen-sive.

I mean, really, if you stop and think about it, why should they care
two bits whether some guy they don't even know who lives up in
Berkeley and who's only ever even been seen by two other people
anyway likes or doesn't like that ridiculously named music, Heavy Metal?

Would you have given a shit whether he liked Country&Western? Nah --
you'd have applauded his sentiments, right-on-duded it right and left.

What a bunch on insecure, safety-in-numbers defensive little whiners.

("Crank it *up*, duuude -- we are *Heav-ay*!" <snort,snigger,giggle>)

>When I see opinions I consider stupid or moronic, I at least want to believe
>that the person who said it believes it.

Oh, I agree -- reassures me right up. No problem.

>What Mr. Smith has done is to create an air of distrust,
>not a good thing on any network or network bboard. Nice abuse of
>trust, dude.

Ruhlly. Righteous abuse. Like, guy, Geeeene -- what are you, like,
totally bogus or what? I mean, like get ruhl, Gene -- come on', dude --
get a guitar and some lip-gloss and, like, get with the program, okay?

>The united stand against the post only served to fuel the fire of the love
>these metalheads have of Heavy Metal!

Right. Safety in numbers.

Didn't I say that already?

>PS - I have no time for elitists like this, we're all small potatoes in
>God's eyes.

Boy, am I ever out of it -- I thought we were all just eyes in God's potatoe.

Duh.

Diane Holt
(dia...@binky.UUCP)

"Now is tomorrow's yesterday."
--Cosmic California Proverb

Gene W. Smith

Jan 15, 1990, 9:51:31 PM1/15/90
In article <33...@cci632.UUCP>, wac@cci632 (William Christiano) writes:

>SORRY AGAIN, but if a kid has a good faith inside him, he won't
>be as likely to take the satanic things seriously.

I say metal=shit and your response is that the Loathsome
Satanic Evil aspects can be shruged off some of the time. Very,
very good. Yoo bad you didn't head the defense team at the
Nuremburg trials.

>I suggest that everyone find a spiritual person to tell you why
>are music and other types of music are considered bad.

You heard it here first, folks--music as well as music is bad,
at least to the enlightened. If you see the Buddha on the road,
kill him. Or better yet, make him listen to your latest Metallica
album.

If music is bad, does that mean metal is good? The mind reels.
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Brahmsgangster/Berkeley CA 94720
"There are no differences but differences of degree

Jim Burwell

Jan 16, 1990, 11:01:20 PM1/16/90
dia...@gryphon.COM (Diane Holt) writes:

[lots of inflammatory drivel deleted]

>Would you have given a shit whether he liked Country&Western? Nah --
>you'd have applauded his sentiments, right-on-duded it right and left.

Most likely. I've found that HM people are usually more open minded than
most. They'll give just about any music a chance before passing judgement,
and they usually don't thrust their opinion on others.

>What a bunch on insecure, safety-in-numbers defensive little whiners.

Safety in numbers ? I'm afraid you're wrong, kiddo. HM people are a
minority in most cases. Most people go for that trendy shit they play on
"Hit-Loop" stations across the country. They follow like cattle. The
essense of metal is freedom. Freedom of choice, freedom of mind, and free
thinking. The "trendoid masses" listen to music that stresses fitting in
with the crowd, and being "normal". Listen to Fates Warning's "Part of the
Machine", or "Static Acts" on /Perfect Symmetry/ for a good example of
the metal psyche.

Defensive ? Of course. Wouldn't you be if someone verbally stomped on
something you love ? Opinionated tactless oafs have no place in this
newsgroup.

[more drivel nuked]

>>The united stand against the post only served to fuel the fire of the love
>>these metalheads have of Heavy Metal!

>Right. Safety in numbers.

>Didn't I say that already?

Yeah. And you're wrong... Again.

>Duh.

Boy. Is that just well practiced, or does it come naturally ? :-)

--
James S. Burwell
UUCP: ...!rutgers!faatcrl!jimb Internet: ji...@faatcrl.UUCP

Martin Howe

Jan 17, 1990, 6:08:56 AM1/17/90
In article <1990Jan11....@agate.berkeley.edu> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
> Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you (non-oxy) morons
> listen to is a form of torture, do you look at things any differently ?

1. I hate being bombarded with Minogue, SAW, TV Jingles and a whole lot of
styles of music I hear on the Radio, TV and in supermarkets, and probably
the sort of music YOU listen to (which is ?). However, I would not assert
that you are a moron, merely that you have the manners of a pig.

> I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my chest--I hate
> your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I just wish all you puke-bags
> could be ground up for catfood or made into lamp-shades.

2 Er., my cat listens to Motorhead with me all the time.

> GOD do I hate heavy metal.

Does He agree with your posting ? I sorta thought He said love your neighbor.
(* that's not a flame, I'm serious. *)

> Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people? Do

3. ????

>you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
4. NO, but I do turn down my MUSIC, if people ask me politely. You'll find it
in the dictionary under 'P'.

5. Your real name isn't Stubna by any chance, is it ?

6. Are you not clever enough to understand the lyrics of most Metal ?
Try a remedial class at Kindergarten.

7. Try critiscising things you know, rather than things you don't, please.

Yours pityingly,
Martin Howe.
--
Martin C. Howe | "Motorhead will be the DIRTIEST band in
MSc. Microelectronics | Rock N' Roll. If this band moved in next door,

Martin Howe

Jan 17, 1990, 1:22:50 PM1/17/90
In article <1990Jan13.0...@agate.berkeley.edu> gsm...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
> in alt.rock-n-roll.metal we have a group created by a typical Penn State
> vacuum-skull and populated by, yes, metalheads. Dear dear.
>
>ucbvax!garnet!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

Mr. Smith, what have you been smoking & who exactly are the Brahms Gang ?
You obviously aren't a metalhead, but you seem to be an empty-head instead.
How nice.

Mr. Smith, when you get out of the jacket, would you send it to Gadaffi please.
He may need it even more than you.

ALT.FLAME CAT-HATERS !? BAH ! MY CAT COULD OUT-THINK THEM ALL WITH 3 PAWS TIED
BEHIND HER BACK !!! MEOW !!!

Worst regards,

Martin Howe

Jan 17, 1990, 1:34:44 PM1/17/90
In article <79...@sybase.sybase.com> el...@fnord.sybase.UUCP (Elton Wildermuth) writes:
>>|Jeff "The Riffer" Mercer |"Win or lose, nought to choose, all men are equal
>>|lak8141%oak.decnet@pine. | when their memory fades. No one knows, friends or
>>|circa.ufl.edu | foes, if Valhalla lies beyond the grave."
>
>And if we wait long enough, we might even finally hear a metal group that
>can do better than doggerel poetry and high-school philosophy. Maybe.

Yeah. You just (double) quoted one.
If your intellectual capacity isn't up to Motorhead, why not try pop music.
Let's see now, "I should be so lucky". Hmm. Only ONE two-syllable word in there.
I should expect that even YOU can handle that sans-Websters.

I wonder how many of these teenage Kylie & Jason addicts even know what
Valhalla IS ?
(BTW, Can you say "Valkerie" ? No I thought not. Too complicated.)

Martin Howe & My cat.
Brunel U. & CAADF (Cats Against Alt.Flame), respectively.

Bill Wisner

Jan 18, 1990, 4:52:26 PM1/18/90