International Blasphemy Day?!

quibbler

Jul 7, 2002, 12:45:39 PM7/7/02

Does anyone know of a regular holiday in which
non-believers generally make fun of the various and
assorted silliness practiced by organized religion? Oh
and before Vogel or other theistic idiots chime in with
"April Fools Day", in fact it should be like April 1st in
that it would allow people to see what fools religious folk
tend to be. But it ought to be more focused than the
general April fools day pranks and help the poor benighted
theists of the world understand their most cherished and
sacred ideals were not above ridicule or critical
examination. Theists like to feel persecuted anyway, so on
at least one day of the year, if such a holiday does not
already exist, I think that we should give them the
opportunity to be a bit justly paranoid about something
real.

So what do folks think? Is there already an adequate
holiday for this kind of thing and if not, when would be a
good time? I would be tempted to say that astronomically
determined times like the solstice would be good, but
neo-pagans and astrologers might mistakenly see this as
condoning their own silly supernatural beliefs. Also, what
kinds of behaviors might be appropriate. It would probably
have to stop a little short of pissing believers off enough
to want to kill atheists, for example. So pelting the holy
kabbah with urine bombs might just be crossing the line by
just a tad ;)

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

The Avender

Jul 7, 2002, 1:24:22 PM7/7/02
To the fair-minded denizens of alt.atheism on 7 Jul 2002 11:45:39
-0500, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com> did henceforth proclaim:

I think Hallowe'en would do some good for this purpose. Dress up like
Jesus, Mohammed (indistinguishable), Gawd(TM), an angel or - perhaps
scariest of all - a -*GASP!*- TeLeVaNgElIsT!!! <shiver>

Added to this is the fact that they already hate the holiday anyway.
I think you'd have yourself some serious sparks.

L8r,
Avender - "I just _love_ being helpful!"
==== #88 alt.atheism Atheist/Agnostic (Atheist Freethinker) ====
== #= ULC minister, Null Equivocator of the Great Equals Sign =
= #5 alt.atheism deconversion list (deistic theist to atheist) =
="The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."=
http://www.usenet.com

quibbler

Jul 7, 2002, 2:58:16 PM7/7/02

Knoxvi...@ThatSuckyPlace.com (The Avender) wrote:
>To the fair-minded denizens of alt.atheism on 7 Jul 2002
>11:45:39
>-0500, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com> did henceforth
>proclaim:

>I think Hallowe'en would do some good for this purpose.
I can live with that. Halloween is coming up in not too
long and its before all saints day. There are
traditionally pranks on that day. How about the day of
halloween we all dress up and make fun of theists and then
on all saints day we actually play jokes and dare the
"saints" to try to stop us.

> Dress up like
>Jesus, Mohammed (indistinguishable), Gawd(TM), an angel or
>- perhaps
>scariest of all - a -*GASP!*- TeLeVaNgElIsT!!! <shiver>

I wouldn't mind playing Jerry Fartwell, though I would wear
a pretty big padded suit to simulate his girth.

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D., P.A.

Jul 7, 2002, 6:55:37 PM7/7/02
quibbler wrote:

> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***
>
> Does anyone know of a regular holiday in which
> non-believers generally make fun of the various and
> assorted silliness practiced by organized religion?

Every day of the goddamned year works for me.

> Oh
> and before Vogel or other theistic idiots chime in with
> "April Fools Day", in fact it should be like April 1st in
> that it would allow people to see what fools religious folk
> tend to be. But it ought to be more focused than the
> general April fools day pranks and help the poor benighted
> theists of the world understand their most cherished and
> sacred ideals were not above ridicule or critical
> examination. Theists like to feel persecuted anyway, so on
> at least one day of the year, if such a holiday does not
> already exist, I think that we should give them the
> opportunity to be a bit justly paranoid about something
> real.
>
> So what do folks think? Is there already an adequate
> holiday for this kind of thing and if not, when would be a
> good time? I would be tempted to say that astronomically
> determined times like the solstice would be good, but
> neo-pagans and astrologers might mistakenly see this as
> condoning their own silly supernatural beliefs.

Day following the last day of xmas would let the heathen scum
get in the last laugh.

> Also, what
> kinds of behaviors might be appropriate. It would probably
> have to stop a little short of pissing believers off enough
> to want to kill atheists, for example. So pelting the holy
> kabbah with urine bombs might just be crossing the line by
> just a tad ;)

Dress the sweet baby jesus in pink. Set up anti-creches, anti-mangers,
anti-xmas trees, etc.

edvard_k

Jul 7, 2002, 5:17:36 PM7/7/02

Sept. 11

--
e. kardelj a.a #0.177

jmw

Jul 7, 2002, 5:21:34 PM7/7/02
How you can even think of such an idea now that monkey boy has officially
endorsed god as the personal saviour of the US of A? Are you sure you are
not talking something treasonable? I hear the executive is going to amend
the constitution so that if you don't attend a christian church on the
designated day (Sunday) you will be fined. This is a new form of taxation
to pay for smarter bombs for Afghani weddings.

christ saves lives but so do seat belts
jmw
"quibbler" <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Velve...@bennyhinn.org

Jul 7, 2002, 5:46:16 PM7/7/02

I envision herds of atheist offspring, outfitted with little Gucci suits and
Benny Hinn Hair Helmets(tm), blitzing the bible belt neighbourhoods, yelling
"Hell or Treat".

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Why cant you poeple get over a simple little misteak?????
InnerLight - Usenet theologian and linguist
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

August Pamplona

Jul 7, 2002, 6:12:04 PM7/7/02
"quibbler" <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Just don't try it in Pakistan and a few other coutries where some people
take blasphemy seriously.

Augusty Pamplona
--
"They are a little bit smelly, and there's something about the way they move
their antennae. But they look nicer when you put a little circuit on their

a.a. # 1811
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with 'cosmicaug'

Earle Jones

Jul 7, 2002, 7:03:55 PM7/7/02
In article <3d2b78cb.19280586@localhost>,
Knoxvi...@ThatSuckyPlace.com (The Avender) wrote:

[...]

> I think Hallowe'en would do some good for this purpose. Dress up like
> Jesus, Mohammed (indistinguishable), Gawd(TM), an angel or - perhaps
> scariest of all - a -*GASP!*- TeLeVaNgElIsT!!!

*
I'd like to dress up like a televangelist, but I can't afford the
clothes.

earle
*

"Be good to others -- kick a masochist."

--anon

Earle Jones

Jul 7, 2002, 7:27:21 PM7/7/02
In article <U03W8.21986$fH5.21...@kent.svc.tds.net>,

[...]

*
From: http://www.dpjs.co.uk/blasphemy.html

What is Blasphemy?

Most countries have blasphemy laws. England has an old, mostly disused
blasphemy law which is rarely evoked. Pakistan (1986) and Sa'udi Arabia
are examples of countries with very strict blasphemy laws. I am not sure
about the consistency of blasphemy law in the USA, although one example
can be found here.

Blasphemy is defined differently in different areas. In Pakistan the law
is used to prevent any criticism of Muhammaed, including literary and
historical criticism.

In England, the blasphemy law exists for two reasons:

1. Because blasphemy is intended to cause a breache of peace between the
blasphemer and those outraged
2. Because Christianity was part of common law, blasphemy tended to
undermine the law
The second reason has been null for a long time, whilst the first is the
topic of this page.

The advent of blasphemy
Blasphemy includes terms such as: Holy Shit, Fucking Hell, Jesus
Christ!, God!, etc. Some of these have amibious meanings, and we can say
that frequently the way in which you say is more important than the
actual content. It is not just swear words though. Also, concepts can be
blasphemous. A short video (with a score by Siousxie and the Banshees)
which depicted a nun's fantasies over Jesus Christ was banned due to
it's blasphemy.

Now, in a pluralist society such as the UK or large countries such as
the USA, blasphemy means very different things according to who you ask.
Where a particular religion is the established religion, such as Islam
in Pakistan or Judaism in Israel, then blasphemy is defined according to
that particular religion.

***
Some people have written specific pieces of blasphemy. The well known
skeptic/magician James Randi did it to test the blasphemy laws in some
states. He wrote:

"To make sure that my blasphemy is thoroughly expressed, I hereby
state my opinion that the notion of a god is a basic superstition, that
there is no evidence for the existence of any god(s), that devils,
demons, angels and saints are myths, that there is no life after death,
heaven nor hell, that the Pope is a dangerous, bigoted, medieval
dinosaur, and that the Holy Ghost is a comic-book character worthy of
laughter and derision."

--James Randi (Challenging blasphemy laws in several US states)

Others have blasphemed, even more strongly, for whatever reason. A
poster here called "Stix" wrote:

"Jesus was a whining Jewish bastard and an unproductive hallucinating
hippy who whined like a pussy while pinned to a stick. His mother was a
two-bit, Roman-soldier-fucking whore, and the Holy Spirit is a lying
deceitful servant of Satan. The bible is crap, people who believe it are
idiots, and blasphemy is a victimless crime because the whole fetid pile
of christianic mythology is a ficticious crock of shit."

--Stix (poster to alt.atheism)

I don't know whether any US states still have laws against blasphemy.
In general, such laws are not automatically taken off the books.
Frequently the law must be challenged in court.

Germany still has blasphemy laws, however ineffective:

From:
http://www.rationalistinternational.net/archive/en/rationalist_2000/59.ht

GERMANY: MOVE TO TIGHTEN BLASPHEMY LAW

"Germany's Catholic hard-liners are fed up. Every time they want a
blasphemer to be punished, they have to go out in the street,
demonstrate, make scenes and disturb the public peace in order to
mobilize the public prosecutor to file a case. This is not only
exhausting and dangerous, sometimes all their efforts are not even
successful!

For example, in the case of the play "Corpus Christy", by
theUSplaywright Terence McNally, which was performed in the city of
Heilbronn this year. It infuriated fundamentalist Christians by
presenting Jesus and his apostles as boozing homosexuals. They took to
the streets and tried their best to disturb the public peace. To their
utter disappointment, however, the public prosecutor refused to file
charges against anybody involved in the production of the play since the
play did not fulfill the requirements of the blasphemy law. Since then
they feel the blasphemy law is good for nothing and has to be changed."

earle
*

CM

Jul 7, 2002, 8:59:20 PM7/7/02

"Earle Jones"

> Now, in a pluralist society such as the UK or large countries such
as
> the USA, blasphemy means very different things according to who you
ask.
> Where a particular religion is the established religion, such as
Islam
> in Pakistan or Judaism in Israel, then blasphemy is defined
according to
> that particular religion.

In the USA, sometimes some idiot legislator tries to write a blasphemy
law. Most attempts fail, but when they succeed the result is an
ignored idiot law that is rarely enforced, and if enforced is always
overturned and the stupid enforcers and the idiot legislators end up
totally ridiculed.

CM

Pious Paul

Jul 7, 2002, 9:10:20 PM7/7/02

quibbler wrote:

That would be Christmas and Easter.

--
"This post is an insincerity on the part of this man of sin"
--fervent 3/27/02

The Most Reverend Pious Paul ();)
"Man of Sin"

Ordained Minister-Universal Life Church
Minister of the Sacred Sack
AFJC Photo Archivist
Denizen of Darkness #144,000 (the LAST one in)

"AFJC...We Care"

David J. Vorous

Jul 7, 2002, 10:29:05 PM7/7/02
quibbler wrote:

> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***
>
> Does anyone know of a regular holiday in which
> non-believers generally make fun of the various and

> assorted silliness practiced by organized religion? ....

For me, that's every day.

> ... So pelting the holy

> kabbah with urine bombs might just be crossing the line by
> just a tad ;)

That would be just plain wrong. Use pork blood instead.

--
David J. Vorous
Yosemite Llama Ranch

UDP for WebTV

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D., P.A.

Jul 8, 2002, 4:03:00 AM7/8/02
Earle Jones wrote:

> In article <3d2b78cb.19280586@localhost>,
> Knoxvi...@ThatSuckyPlace.com (The Avender) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I think Hallowe'en would do some good for this purpose. Dress up like
> > Jesus, Mohammed (indistinguishable), Gawd(TM), an angel or - perhaps
> > scariest of all - a -*GASP!*- TeLeVaNgElIsT!!!
>
> *
> I'd like to dress up like a televangelist, but I can't afford the
> clothes.

Mug a pimp.

Ąade

Jul 8, 2002, 8:07:32 AM7/8/02

You mean like "The Bible Belt"

>Augusty Pamplona

Mark Whickman

Jul 9, 2002, 12:30:09 PM7/9/02

"Ąade" <˝.@.Ľ> wrote in message

Alabamistan.

Pope Rudraigh

Jul 12, 2002, 11:56:50 AM7/12/02

Kentuckistan.

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D., P.A.

Jul 12, 2002, 7:45:47 PM7/12/02
Pope Rudraigh wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:30:09 GMT, "Mark Whickman"
> <mark.w...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> >"Ąade" <˝.@.Ľ> wrote in message

Deliveranceistan.

chiefelf

Jul 12, 2002, 5:41:46 PM7/12/02
Pope Rudraigh <laug...@yourass.com> wrote 52 lines of wisdom to
which I replied:

Missouriabad. -- Home of Osma Bin Ashcroft.

--
Landis Ragon (dS = dq/T)
Chief Elf in the Toy Factory.

Pope Rudraigh

Jul 12, 2002, 8:34:23 PM7/12/02
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:41:46 GMT, chiefelf <chie...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Pope Rudraigh <laug...@yourass.com> wrote 52 lines of wisdom to
>which I replied:
>
>>On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:30:09 GMT, "Mark Whickman"
>><mark.w...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>"Ąade" <˝.@.Ľ> wrote in message

<snip>

>>>people

>>>Alabamistan.
>>
>>Kentuckistan.
>
>Missouriabad. -- Home of Osma Bin Ashcroft.

Arkansasbad -- Home of Creationist Science classes

Pope Rudraigh

Jul 12, 2002, 8:35:56 PM7/12/02
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:45:47 -0700, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D., P.A."
<cdub@_REMOVETHIS_erols.com> wrote:

>Pope Rudraigh wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:30:09 GMT, "Mark Whickman"
>> <mark.w...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
>>

>> >"Ąade" <˝.@.Ľ> wrote in message

<snip>

>> >people

>> >Alabamistan.
>> >

>> Kentuckistan.
>
>Deliveranceistan.

<cue dueling fundies>

Peter Kirby

Jul 12, 2002, 8:40:26 PM7/12/02

> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***
>
> Does anyone know of a regular holiday in which
> non-believers generally make fun of the various and
> assorted silliness practiced by organized religion?

I like to order hamburgers on Ash Wednesday. Is that wild or what?

best,
Peter Kirby

chiefelf

Jul 12, 2002, 9:44:39 PM7/12/02
"Peter Kirby" <ki...@DELETE.earthlink.net> wrote 14 lines of wisdom
to which I replied:

>"quibbler" <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You're *evil*!

<grin>

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D., P.A.

Jul 13, 2002, 2:07:33 AM7/13/02
Peter Kirby wrote:

> "quibbler" <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***
> >
> > Does anyone know of a regular holiday in which
> > non-believers generally make fun of the various and
> > assorted silliness practiced by organized religion?
>
> I like to order hamburgers on Ash Wednesday. Is that wild or what?

Worse than ham and cheese on a bagel?

Pope Rudraigh

Jul 13, 2002, 12:05:58 AM7/13/02

D00d! Yer livin on da edge!

I like to go into bars on Easter and order three Rusty Nails.

Hey ... drink one, spill one, give one away ... that's my motto. Very
xtian, wouldn't you say?

Pope Rudraigh
Denizen of Darkness (DoD #1)
http://www.rudraigh.com/afjc/home.html
"Holy Trinity my triple cheeked ass!" - Pope Rudraigh
" I too have learned the "grief" of cross posting, and in particular,
in replying to those denizens of darkness who live in afjc and
alt.christnet."- " Fervent" 11/11/2001

Phylter

Jul 13, 2002, 1:34:44 AM7/13/02
Pope Rudraigh <laug...@yourass.com> uttered:

Jesus goes into a tavern, slaps three nails on the bar and says to the
Innkeeper, "Can you put me up for the night?"

--
Phylter
Denizen of Darkness #44

Ronald

Jul 13, 2002, 5:46:23 PM7/13/02
quibbler wrote:

> Does anyone know of a regular holiday in which
> non-believers generally make fun of the various and
> assorted silliness practiced by organized religion?

Christmas, at least around *my* house. Perfect day for it. Easter is
another good one. Both holidays are great examples of christer silliness
("let's use pagan holidays and pretend that they were really significant
Jesus days") and thus serve well as foundations for merciless teasing and
flaming.

Pope Rudraigh

Jul 14, 2002, 2:38:56 AM7/14/02
On 13 Jul 2002 00:34:44 -0500, Phylter <phy...@NOSPAhMotmail.com>
wrote:

A priest a rabbi and a ... I dunno ... some other kinda holy faker,
walk into a bar.

The bartender looks them over and says, "What, is this some kind of a
joke?"

Maeljin

Jul 14, 2002, 6:27:18 AM7/14/02
In article <u7tuius905p4tvv30...@4ax.com>,
laug...@yourass.com says...
Al-Italiah?

Mmmhhh...
--
|-Maeljin-|
(Damned by Dore, Primo in Italia)

"Repent, Harlequin!" -Harlan Ellison
UDP for WebTv

Phylter

Jul 14, 2002, 9:12:29 AM7/14/02
Pope Rudraigh <laug...@yourass.com> uttered:

<Flatly, and in a Stan Laurel voice> It certainly is.

Pope Rudraigh

Jul 15, 2002, 1:55:33 AM7/15/02

No no no ... Al Italia is the owner of the deli down the street. He
also owns the nice hispanic carniciera across the street. There he's
known as El Al which, literally translates, means "The Al". He won't
venture further south than Cincinatti. He knows the all merkin yokels
down there will just think of him as a nigger and lynch his ass.

Sad but true.

Pope Rudraigh

Jul 15, 2002, 1:56:04 AM7/15/02
On 14 Jul 2002 13:12:29 GMT, Phylter <phy...@NOSPAhMotmail.com>
wrote:

LOL

Robibnikoff

Jul 15, 2002, 11:49:52 AM7/15/02
In article <MPG.179a8923...@powernews.libero.it>, Maeljin says...

>In article <u7tuius905p4tvv30...@4ax.com>,
>laug...@yourass.com says...
>> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:41:46 GMT, chiefelf <chie...@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Pope Rudraigh <laug...@yourass.com> wrote 52 lines of wisdom to
>> >which I replied:

>> <snip>

>> >Missouriabad. -- Home of Osma Bin Ashcroft.
>> >
>> Arkansasbad -- Home of Creationist Science classes
>>

>Al-Italiah?

Wait a sec.....Isn't that an airline? ;)

Robyn
Resident Witchypoo and EAC Spellcaster
Delighted Member of SMASH
Leben, Lieben, Lachen

Maeljin

Jul 16, 2002, 4:46:37 AM7/16/02
In article <AaCY8.29077$15....@www.newsranger.com>,
nos...@newsranger.com says...
Yeah, apart from the final "H".
"ali" means "wings" in Italian.

LORD STINKEY POPS (fear my mighty anus)

Jul 16, 2002, 1:06:30 PM7/16/02
in article g1vtiug9d25t1l64h...@4ax.com, Pope Rudraigh at
laug...@yourass.com wrote on 13/7/02 1:56 AM:

I resent the notion that important religions around the world are mocked in
this way.
I'll have you know that my 'church of the heavenly erect man carrot' is a
serious and dedicated group of men (women with dicks also welcome).
You should come to our ceremony where we think pure thoughts (usually
involving goats and lashings of lubricant) until our 'man carrots' are in
the state of holy petrification.

we then rub them vigourously back and forth in a reverent manner until the
sacred brasso spews forth.

We perform this ritual as often as possible (weather and goats permitting)
to purify our souls and further please the spirit of the goat vagina god.

Please look a little closely at your attitude (or I shall spank you).
You will see that our way is the true holy way (more holy than a lot of
catholic priests these days; at least our goats are consenting adults).

Do not deny the truth.
It must be so because we said so!!

LORD STINKEY POPS (high priest to Bill Clinton)

Pope Rudraigh

Jul 16, 2002, 6:15:26 PM7/16/02
On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:06:30 +1000, "LORD STINKEY POPS (fear my mighty
anus)" <pe...@buttplug.com> wrote:

>in article g1vtiug9d25t1l64h...@4ax.com, Pope Rudraigh at
>laug...@yourass.com wrote on 13/7/02 1:56 AM:

<snip>

>I resent the notion that important religions around the world are mocked in
>this way.
>I'll have you know that my 'church of the heavenly erect man carrot' is a
>serious and dedicated group of men (women with dicks also welcome).
>You should come to our ceremony where we think pure thoughts (usually
>involving goats and lashings of lubricant) until our 'man carrots' are in
>the state of holy petrification.
>
>we then rub them vigourously back and forth in a reverent manner until the
>sacred brasso spews forth.
>
>We perform this ritual as often as possible (weather and goats permitting)
>to purify our souls and further please the spirit of the goat vagina god.
>
>Please look a little closely at your attitude (or I shall spank you).
>You will see that our way is the true holy way (more holy than a lot of
>catholic priests these days; at least our goats are consenting adults).
>
>Do not deny the truth.
>It must be so because we said so!!
>
>LORD STINKEY POPS (high priest to Bill Clinton)

I see the light.

Walter Bushell

Mar 7, 2018, 6:27:10 PM3/7/18
In alt.atheism.satire chiefelf <chie...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>"Peter Kirby" <ki...@DELETE.earthlink.net> wrote 14 lines of wisdom
>to which I replied:

>>"quibbler" <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a regular holiday in which
>>> non-believers generally make fun of the various and
>>> assorted silliness practiced by organized religion?
>>
>>I like to order hamburgers on Ash Wednesday. Is that wild or what?

>You're *evil*!

><grin>

I saw all these women with marks on their forehead and thought "Is this
beat up your woman day or what?

--
walter
Reality.sys has been corrupted. Abort,Fail,Retry? (a,f,r)