FDNY Firefighters; Questions about 10 and 14 hours?

Buba Hurling

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
I am a FFPM on Chicago Fire Department. We are entering new contract
negotiations and one of the proposals brought up is an hours change to your
10 and 14 schedule. This is being done as a punitive matter but my questions
are can you explain exactly how this schedule works. We keep getting
different explanations from our local and the media which is fueling this
little controversy? How are vacations worked. How a bout the number of
trades allowed? What is the consensus of the guys of this schedule? We are
still working 24/48 with 2 scheduled "Daley Days" per month which gives 5
day mini vacations.

Buba Hurling

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99

Walter A.

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99

Buba Hurling wrote in message ...
I'm not sure if this is what your talking about, but I remember one
department working five (5) 10 hour days and then working five (5) 14 hours
nights and then getting 5 days off. I'm not sure how that calc's out per
hours in a work week or pay cycle.
Day shift 0700 to 1700 and night shift 1700 to 0700. Three platoon cycle
just like 24/48. The best platoon cycle I ever worked was 5/6. Every other
day for 5 shifts then 6 days off. Every nine days you get a 6 days mini
vacation. I loved it. Boating, camping, hunting, travel, 6 days straight.
Catch a long weekend when the wife is off and have her take a day before or
after and bang you 5 days with the family and it didn't cost you any leave
time at all.

Harwich Fire

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
My understanding of the FDNY shift is the same as Steve and Susans, except FDNy
had 25 groups the last I knew. So on any given day the day shift might be
groups 1, 3
22, 13, and 25. I know there are also "kelly days" thrown in there. Steve did
describe the rotation correctly. 2 days(10hrs) 1 day off 2 nights(14hrs) 3
days off. We work a 42 hour - 2 day, 2 night, 4 day off schedule. It works
fairly well. Some depts are switching to 24 on 24 off 24 on 5 days off. Hope
that helps.

Steve & Susan

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
"Buba Hurling" <squa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>10 and 14 schedule.

I don't know about FDNY, but we had these in my old department across
the river. Get a calendar, I'll give you an example.

You work two days on, one day off and two nights on. Then you get
three days off. There are four groups.

1122334411223344 and it repeats
3441122334411223

Even with this schedule, you still get one day in between going to
nights, then three whole days off. Many guys worked another P/T job in
between. It is tough to schedule continuing education or take classes
because everyone has to work both days and nights.

Steve

G. Maddison

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Here in Western Australia, a form of the 10/14 system has been in place
for many years. The conditions are as follows:

* Hours of work
Firefighters work a cycle of four days on duty, followed by four days
off. This amounts to 42 hours per week (average) consisting of two 10
hour day shifts (0800 - 1800), followed by two 14 hour night shifts (1800
- 0800). Pay is for 40 hours per week, with the additional two hours
accruing as time off, to be taken with annual leave.

*Sick Leave
Accrued at 7 hours per month.

*Annual Leave
42 calendar days per year, taken on a roster of 32 days every 208 days
(including accrued time off).

*Long Service Leave
13 weeks accrued after 10 years, then every 7 years thereafter.

I hope that you find this info interesting and helpful.

Regards,
G. Maddison

Dave Altamirano

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
Does the night shift get to sleep, or do they have to stay awake?

G. Maddison <gm...@gold.net.au_nospam> wrote in message

G. Maddison

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
The day shift obviously have particular duties to perform each day.
The night shift get to sleep.

- G. Maddison

In article <nCcS2.450$3F1....@news13.ispnews.com>,
DaveN...@fireman.net says...

Jan Bruinstroop

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Dave Altamirano wrote:

> Does the night shift get to sleep, or do they have to stay awake?
>
> G. Maddison <gm...@gold.net.au_nospam> wrote in message
> >Here in Western Australia, a form of the 10/14 system has been in place
> >for many years. The conditions are as follows:
> >
> >* Hours of work
> >Firefighters work a cycle of four days on duty, followed by four days
> >off. This amounts to 42 hours per week (average) consisting of two 10
> >hour day shifts (0800 - 1800), followed by two 14 hour night shifts (1800
> >- 0800). Pay is for 40 hours per week, with the additional two hours
> >accruing as time off, to be taken with annual leave.
> >
> >*Sick Leave
> >Accrued at 7 hours per month.
> >
> >*Annual Leave
> >42 calendar days per year, taken on a roster of 32 days every 208 days
> >(including accrued time off).
> >
> >*Long Service Leave
> >13 weeks accrued after 10 years, then every 7 years thereafter.
> >

> >I hope that you find this info interesting and helpful.
> >
> >Regards,
> >G. Maddison
> >
> >> I am a FFPM on Chicago Fire Department. We are entering new contract
> >> negotiations and one of the proposals brought up is an hours change to
> your
> >> 10 and 14 schedule. This is being done as a punitive matter but my
> questions
> >> are can you explain exactly how this schedule works. We keep getting
> >> different explanations from our local and the media which is fueling this
> >> little controversy? How are vacations worked. How a bout the number of
> >> trades allowed? What is the consensus of the guys of this schedule? We
> are
> >> still working 24/48 with 2 scheduled "Daley Days" per month which gives 5
> >> day mini vacations.

In holland were working 24 hours and we are 48 off duty
we work 8 hours of the 24 and the athor time were in the station
waihgting or sleeping fora call

jimg...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
After 30 yrs on the FDNY here is what I think. Our tours are 9 and 15 (9AM to
6PM and 6PM to 9AM). The first ten yrs or so, everybody worked those tours
and was very happy. Mutual exchanges of tours were uncommon and mostly used
for family weddings and things. After the gas crisis in the 70's the city
relaxed its restrictions on mutual exchanges so more people could essentially
trade tours in such a way that they were working 24 on and 48 or 72 off. Most
people who commute far love 24's. About 90% of the job works 24 all the time
and complain when they can't work them. Personally, I like both ways. Having
the option to work straight tours (9 and 15) or setting up with a partner to
work 24's gives you the best of both worlds. Our regular chart works like
this, everybody is assigned a group number from 1 to 25. 6 groups work a
tour. You would work 2 days followed by 48 hours off, then two nights
followed by 72 hrs off. Every third set of days is followed by 72 hrs off (We
call it the Chinese 72). Sounds complicated but with a group chart calendar,
you can see at a glance when you are working. If your hours go to a two
platoon system, and if you have the option to trade tours, I think you would
enjoy the hours.

In article <gsvR2.18$4I2...@newsfeed.slurp.net>,

"Buba Hurling" <squa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am a FFPM on Chicago Fire Department. We are entering new contract
> negotiations and one of the proposals brought up is an hours change to your
> 10 and 14 schedule. This is being done as a punitive matter but my questions
> are can you explain exactly how this schedule works. We keep getting
> different explanations from our local and the media which is fueling this
> little controversy? How are vacations worked. How a bout the number of
> trades allowed? What is the consensus of the guys of this schedule? We are
> still working 24/48 with 2 scheduled "Daley Days" per month which gives 5
> day mini vacations.

fire on the rocks

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
The Calagary FD is recruiting as I type. They work a 10/14 shift and the way
it was explained to me was that, starting on a monday for example:

monday 10 hours day - i.e. 0700 to 1700
tuesday 10 hours day
wednesday 14 hours night - i.e. 1700 to 0700
thursday 14 hours night

the night shift does work for at least part of the shift.

4 days off, i.e fri, sat, sun. mon, then 4 on again.

4 crews to cover the shifts

benefits, vacation, etc. i'm not sure about

Shane Charman

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
Hi mate ....I am a firey from Australia. Our hours of work are excellant and
should be considered. We work 2x 10 hour days and 2x 14 hour nights and have
4 days off. If you have any questions about how we operate just let me know.
regards
Shane