Is there a cell for those with no cell?

Jim Haynes

Aug 25, 2010, 11:31:46 PM8/25/10
The last time I played with AFS several years ago, wanting to set up
just a client so I could see what's out there and read files open to
the public, I had to give myself a false cell name. Is there by now
a cell name that can be used by those of us who don't have a real cell?

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Andrew Deason

Aug 26, 2010, 1:14:56 AM8/26/10

If you use a feature in the OpenAFS client called "dynroot", it doesn't
really matter what cell name you specify for just browsing around (I
think some packages for OpenAFS use either grand.central.org or
openafs.org as their default cell, if you want to follow their
convention). The /afs/ directory will be automatically filled with
directories as you try to access other cells (like an automounter). You
can activate this mode by passing -dynroot to afsd; various linux
distributions probably have their own ways of setting it for you.

Also, I don't think too may people read this group these days. If you
want to reach actual people, I'd suggest the <openaf...@openafs.org>
mailing list.

--
Andrew Deason