Hallowe'en .. arghh!

1 view

Paul Goetze

Oct 26, 2000, 9:37:55 PM10/26/00
Time for my annual rant: If only children didn't love dressing up in
costumes and trick and treating so much! I hate the blasted day with
a passion. It's ugly, grotesque, depressing. It celebrates bad taste
and glorifies the ghoulish things usually found in slasher / horror
flicks. I know, I know. I am taking the whole thing way too
seriously. <g>

Paul

Janie

Oct 26, 2000, 9:43:15 PM10/26/00
Oh, but, Paul...I can make you like it. I'll send you a pic of my 2
Yorkies dressed up like clowns. See, it's not all depressing! I LOVE
Halloween! I carve pumpkins with happy faces and I love seeing all the
kids in their costumes. It's my favorite time of year!
Janie

--
Don't just do something, sit there!

bj

Oct 26, 2000, 9:44:44 PM10/26/00
Hear, hear! I hate Halloween, too, but for different reasons. I used to
enjoy the little children, but then they suddenly were not all little
children with tiny bags, but often large boys with pillow cases who
sneered at what I gave them and said, "Is that all?" Then a woman here
who lived alone opened the door one Halloween to what she thought was a
group of trick-or-treaters, and she was murdered right then and there.
Since then, I just invite myself to my daughter and son-in-law's house
every year to enjoy my grandchildren and avoid being home at all.
They've resigned themselves to the fact that I'm going to be there for
dinner Halloween night even if I have to buy the dinner. This year I
really need to be home that night because Mary Lee and Faye are arriving
the next day, but if I were here, nobody would let me get anything done
anyway. So it's off to mooch off my children again.
BJ

Paul Goetze

Oct 26, 2000, 10:01:29 PM10/26/00
Sadly, here in Nova Scotia there have been cases of razor blades
hidden in apples etc. Everyone now hands out small bags of chips, or
cheesies, certainly not the most nutritious food going, because they
don't ever want to be suspected of "trick and treating" children in
that sadistic way. A sealed bag is reasonably safe. We are also
thankful for the new bridge over the Gaspereau River, the old one was
burned down on Halloween, some years ago. These things don't happen
every year, as a matter of fact, our Halloweens have been reasonably
quiet and restrained ... nevertheless the holiday conjures up pictures
of lawlessness and ugliness in my mind.
Paul

bj

Oct 26, 2000, 10:04:41 PM10/26/00
Here the hospitals will x-ray the kiddies' candy free on Halloween night. We
try to teach the children to let their parents inspect their haul before
eating anything.
BJ

NormaSG

Oct 26, 2000, 10:08:38 PM10/26/00
I kind of like Halloween here, but this is a small town. The town fathers, on
the town TV channel, have requested that all children or groups of children be
accompanied by an adult. This pretty much eliminates the older ones and the
trouble makers because there are too many adults out and around. They usually
start out about 6:30 p.m. and by 9 p.m. they're all done. If the really little
ones are too shy, or too young to know what it's all about, an older sibling
will ask politely if they can take another piece of candy for the young one.
Norma

BillB (FL/NC)

Oct 26, 2000, 10:21:31 PM10/26/00

At least, Paul, it has pretty well gotten away from the "Tricks" that were
the
ONLY activity in my youth (the '30s). There was no such thing as kids
going door to door with their "Trick or Treat" message. The kids (boys
mostly) were into tipping over outhouses; soaping windows, putting
farm wagons on barn roofs; and worse. The change to the present way
of observing the occasion is, at least, a far more civilized way of doing
it than the mayhem that existed in the 'dark ages' of my youth :-)
BillB (FL/NC)
"Paul Goetze" <paul....@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Butterkup

Oct 27, 2000, 1:16:01 AM10/27/00

Ah, but Paul. I took my grandson to his first Halloween party. I take
him to the library once a week for story time. He is 2 1/2 years old.
He dressed as a fish! He was darling. And there were Butterflies and
twins dressed as Ladybugs, and one little guy was a fisherman. There
was nothing ghoulish about any of it! They marked through the library
and all the folks stopped their book searching to watch these toddlers.
They had a wonderful snack (mine was cheese and crackers...no sugar jolt
from me) and then they picked a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch for their
very own. It was the bestest! Yea, I know...in 12 years he will be
dressed as a slasher, but I treasure what I saw this week.
sue

Yoj

Oct 27, 2000, 1:52:08 AM10/27/00
I think that is the case most places, but it is sad that this is necessary.

Joy

bj <bc...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

BillB (FL/NC)

Oct 27, 2000, 3:47:39 AM10/27/00

Let the Children Be

'Twas Halloween night and all through the sky,
The clouds hid the moon as the bats glided by.
I was dressed all in white in my mama's old sheet,
Walking with friends down the ghost-haunted street.
All the kids were dressed in bright costumed array,
While flashlights and street lights guided our way.
We giggled and laughed as we hurried to each door,
Ringing or knocking, then laughing some more.

There were pumpkins aglow and skeletons dangling,
Scarecrows and shadows and silver chains clanging.
Grownups in masked faces opened doors in greeting,
As we stood with our bags and waited for treating.

Some people say that we should not have this night,
That too many kids are harmed by the sights or the fright -
But it's the one time a year when we can pretend to be
Someone else for a while, not you - not even me.
-
Let them celebrate now, as the bats glide on by,
For childhood is brief, like the blink of an eye.
Listen to their laughter and let the children be
Someone else for a while, not you and not even me.

BillB (FL/NC) Not writ by me :-)

Knut W. Jakset

Oct 27, 2000, 3:58:44 AM10/27/00

"Paul Goetze" <paul....@ns.sympatico.ca> skrev i melding

................... r .....................
I have no experience with this custom other than what I have
seen on TV-films from US.
But my meaning is that it is a stupid, ugly, bad thing. I
am very well aware that this uttering is like putting your
hand into a snake's nest, since it comes from a
non-american. Must emphasize though, that I am an absolutely
pro-American, so this critzism is solely pointed towards the
Halloween custom as such. NOT America, or Americans.
kwj

RLloyd8949

Oct 27, 2000, 4:43:03 AM10/27/00
>I kind of like Halloween here, but this is a small town.

>Norma

Norma...do yall have New England church steeples ticking outta the leaves?

Di Wall

Oct 27, 2000, 5:03:34 AM10/27/00
Sue, how lovely! Bet they were so cute and had such fun...
Di....:)

"Butterkup" <k...@ewol.com> wrote in message

david

Oct 27, 2000, 7:32:02 AM10/27/00
paul....@ns.sympatico.ca (Paul Goetze) wrote in
<bkmhvsg4a7f6dqmrs...@4ax.com>:

i have a different reason for disliking the event. kids seem to attack the
house for hours, often over a hundred kids... many aren't even in costume
and many are taller than i am and not polite. if just little children
came, that'd be different... i enjoy their giggles...
david --

____________________________________
david dsk...@usa.net
AFPF Gallery: http://members.nbci.com/afpf
AFPF Mirror-: http://www.geocities.com/afpfng

Paul Goetze

Oct 27, 2000, 7:55:56 AM10/27/00
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 07:58:44 GMT, "Knut W. Jakset" <kwja...@c2i.net>
wrote:

Hi Knut, I was absent from this group for over three weeks so, a warm
welcome. Don't worry about offending anyone by being frank in some of
your comments, I do it all the times and this fine group of people
usually lets me get away with it! <g> Halloween is a Canadian custom
as well but I've hated it since I hit these shores. Mainly because,
unlike Sue's kids who are dressed in butterfly outfits etc., here
skeletons and other ghostly themes are preferred by most. I don't
understand it but then I never understood how all those teen slasher
movies could be so wildly popular either.

Paul

Paul Goetze

Oct 27, 2000, 7:56:57 AM10/27/00

Hi Sue, I like YOUR Halloween! Paul

Paul Goetze

Oct 27, 2000, 8:01:09 AM10/27/00
I must say that things have been reasonably civilized here as well for
the past couple of years, Norma. It's not as excessive and damaging a
day as it used to be. The little kids were always cute even though I
didn't like their death masks etc, but the teenagers used the occasion
to really act out their rebellion and it could be downright
frightening. Paul

Paul Goetze

Oct 27, 2000, 8:03:27 AM10/27/00
You're right, Bill. The "trick" part is slowly disappearing and I
don't mourn its passing <g>. Now if only October 31st could be somehow
done away with, No more Halloween .... aaaaaah! Paul

Paul Goetze

Oct 27, 2000, 8:06:38 AM10/27/00
It sure is sad, Joy! We tend to assume that all of our neighbors are
basically well balanced and of good will and every nail or razor blade
found is a personal blow to our sense of decency and security.
Paul

Paul Goetze

Oct 27, 2000, 8:12:17 AM10/27/00
On 27 Oct 2000 11:32:02 GMT, dsk...@usa.net (david) wrote:

>paul....@ns.sympatico.ca (Paul Goetze) wrote in
><bkmhvsg4a7f6dqmrs...@4ax.com>:
>
>>Time for my annual rant: If only children didn't love dressing up in
>>costumes and trick and treating so much! I hate the blasted day with
>>a passion. It's ugly, grotesque, depressing. It celebrates bad taste
>>and glorifies the ghoulish things usually found in slasher / horror
>>flicks. I know, I know. I am taking the whole thing way too
>>seriously. <g>
>>
>>Paul
>>

>i have a different reason for disliking the event. kids seem to attack the
>house for hours, often over a hundred kids... many aren't even in costume
>and many are taller than i am and not polite. if just little children
>came, that'd be different... i enjoy their giggles...
>david --

That used to be the case in our area as well, David. but thank God
teenagers don't have the same enthusiasm for causing mischief any
more, or maybe the birthrate was down for a while<g>. Last year we
only had about 30 trick and treaters and the overwhelming majority of
them were small children. Still wish they would do away with
Halloween though.

Paul

D.P.Brown

Oct 27, 2000, 8:29:07 AM10/27/00
When I was a little bit, it was a fun night for the younger kids. Now
the younger ones must be protected from the older, bigger, often stoned
or drunk "kids" who swarm the streets. During the normal week we keep
the gate closed on our driveway so our pit-bull can run free without
freaking out the neighborhood. On Halloween night, even though we bring
the dog in to avoid scaring anyone, nobody comes down our drive. Not
once in the three and a half years we've been in this home. Funny thing
is, he loves kids(the dog). But, to look at him, if you don't know him,
is very scarey.

Peace, Dennis

In article <bkmhvsg4a7f6dqmrs...@4ax.com>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Golden Pleschel

Oct 27, 2000, 10:01:52 AM10/27/00
Paul Goetze paul....@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

American customs were introduced by the Irish and German
settlers. The Puritans from England, who first came here, didn't
celebrate Halloween, which is an Irish custom, nor even Christmas.
Our present Christmas traditions were introduced by the German
immigrants who promoted the idea of the Christmas tree and
St. Nick. On my childhood Christmas trees, all the ornaments
were from Germany, which is the only place they were manufactured
back then.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Paul, but I don't think Halloween was ever
celebrated recently in Germany, so you don't have any fond childhood
memories of it. As I mentioned before, the two main pagan
holidays were Nov. 1 and May 1. The Nov. 1 holiday traditions
were brought to America by the Irish, and the May 1 holiday
was introduced here by the Germans. May 1 was also celebrated
in Ireland, but more so in Germany, I think. The May 1 holiday
was celebrated in Ireland by the May boys who brought baskets
and left them on the doorstep. The Nov. 1 holdiday was celebrated
the night before, again by young boys, who came around to do
some mischief. The May 1 holiday was celebrated by the pagans the night
before by huge bonfires on a high hill - this was in ancient times.

Calja

Oct 27, 2000, 12:48:56 PM10/27/00
Call me the Halloween Grinch but I have to agree with Paul on this one! I've never liked
it even as a child. I felt like a "beggar" asking for food on doorsteps and I just
couldn't get enthused over wearing a mask. Back in those days the mask would "melt" around
the mouth hole and the color would come off on your face! Anybody remember those masks in
the '30s and early '40s ?? Faye

Kelly Petit

Oct 27, 2000, 1:12:40 PM10/27/00

Calja <fr...@mindspring.com> a écrit dans le message :
8tcbl5$ivt$1...@slb1.atl.mindspring.net...
All I have read here seems really frightening. It's a shame though as kids
like to dress up and disguise. I remember we did something similar on New
Year's Eve when I was a kid, but we dressed up as little Santas-:)
Now they've started celebrating Halloween here in France too, it's a big
deal for the shops of course!
kelly

Yoj

Oct 27, 2000, 1:40:24 PM10/27/00
Paul and Knut,

I understand what you're saying. However, it is my philosophy that you find
what you look for. I enjoy seeing the small children come to my door in
their costumes, some of which are very imaginative. I don't like the older
ones, many of whom have no costumes, and most of whom are carrying
pillowcases for their loot. On the other hands, I have seen many older
teenagers, some costumed, some not, escorting young ones, and often not
taking any treats for themselves. I love it when the little voices say,
"Thank you!" - and many of them do, and when sometimes the older ones will
remind the younger ones to say it.

Joy

Paul Goetze <paul....@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

NormaSG

Oct 27, 2000, 2:02:08 PM10/27/00

In article <20001027044303...@ng-fd1.aol.com>, rlloy...@aol.com
wrote:

>Norma...do yall have New England church steeples ticking outta the leaves?

Ayup, though the leaves are fast falling
Norma

Bobbie.

Oct 27, 2000, 3:08:52 PM10/27/00
I'm with you here Sue.....Little Ellie who is now 4 went to a
Halloween Birthday Party, dressed as Scott Tracy....of Thunderbird
fame......She isn't much into girlie things.....What a shame that the
fantasy has to end.....Innocent little darlings, haven't really got a
clue why the demons had to be there....
Bobbie:-)

"Butterkup" <k...@ewol.com> wrote in message

Lorraine Verona

Oct 27, 2000, 4:36:27 PM10/27/00
"Paul Goetze" <paul....@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Time for my annual rant: If only children didn't love dressing up in
> costumes and trick and treating so much! I hate the blasted day with
> a passion. It's ugly, grotesque, depressing. It celebrates bad taste
> and glorifies the ghoulish things usually found in slasher / horror
> flicks. I know, I know. I am taking the whole thing way too
> seriously. <g>
>
> Paul

Oh Paul don't be a party "pooper" <spelling> for the kids who are so happy
to dress up and walk around their districts and show their costumes! My
little Ylarie has been working on her costume for almost 3 months now. This
year, she will be a cat and she has been describing her costume or what has
been done on it, every week on the phone :-) she even speaks like a cat and
I had to listen to her asking for "la charite s'il vous plait" that's what
little Quebecers say at the door :-) in her cat language LOLOL. Last night
she said "Remember grandma, don't call on Halloween night we won't be
here...and we will take lots and lots of pictures to send you" :-) I find
it very different in England, we only had 4 kids last year who came to the
door and I was really disappointed.

Lorraine

Lorraine Verona

Oct 27, 2000, 4:48:40 PM10/27/00

"Bobbie." <bob...@smith-bj.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> I'm with you here Sue.....Little Ellie who is now 4 went to a
> Halloween Birthday Party, dressed as Scott Tracy....of Thunderbird
> fame......She isn't much into girlie things.....What a shame that the
> fantasy has to end.....Innocent little darlings, haven't really got a
> clue why the demons had to be there....
> Bobbie:-)

She must have been real pretty Bobbie :-) I must say that my children, now
30 and 34, are still celebrating Halloween with their friends. They rent a
hall, and friends of friends of friends are coming, each one brings a dish
and everyone has got to be wearing a costume. This year, Karl has rented
two beautiful chinese outfits (him and his girlfriend) and Karolyne and her
new boydriend will be dressed as Romeo and Juliette :-) I just can't wait to
see the pictures in e-mail. See, this is what I miss the most ....being
able to celebrate and have fun with them as we used to for all those
occasions :-(

Lorraine

Paul Goetze

Oct 27, 2000, 6:34:00 PM10/27/00
On 27 Oct 2000 14:01:52 GMT, goldenp...@aol.com (Golden Pleschel)
wrote:

>Correct me if I'm wrong, Paul, but I don't think Halloween was ever
>celebrated recently in Germany, so you don't have any fond childhood
>memories of it.

You're right, Goldie. Halloween is not celebrated in Germany. Or at
least it wasn't when I grew up. The day after: "Allerheiligen" (All
Saints) was a big day in Roman Catholic circles, though.

> As I mentioned before, the two main pagan
>holidays were Nov. 1 and May 1. The Nov. 1 holiday traditions
>were brought to America by the Irish, and the May 1 holiday
>was introduced here by the Germans. May 1 was also celebrated
>in Ireland, but more so in Germany, I think.

May 1 was a biggie, all right. It was our Labour Day. Hitler and the
Nazis re-introduced some of the nordic, pagan customs, so for a while
we had pretty maidens in long flowing gowns skipping daintily around
the May Pole. Needless to say this custom is no more! <g>

Paul

Golden Pleschel

Oct 27, 2000, 7:47:39 PM10/27/00
Paul Goetze paul....@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

At what point did May 1st become Labor Day in Germany,
and is it still labor day? May 1st is now a big Communist
holiday, isn't it?

When I was a child, we used to celebrate May Day with
dancing around the May pole and electing a Queen of the
May. There are still German communities in America that
celebrate the day with the old traditions. Ever hear of
Hermann, Missouri? This is a town that was founded by
a German society from Philidelphia in 1839 and most of the
people in the town are German, even to this day. They have
a big event on May 1st and people come from all over the
US to see it. The town has been written up in travel magazines
many times.

Butterkup

Oct 27, 2000, 10:27:48 PM10/27/00

Once upon a time, Norma wrote:

> Ayup,

Spoken like a true New Englander!
sue

Butterkup

Oct 27, 2000, 10:36:24 PM10/27/00

"Bobbie." wrote:

> I'm with you here Sue.....Little Ellie who is now 4 went to a
> Halloween Birthday Party, dressed as Scott Tracy....of Thunderbird
> fame......She isn't much into girlie things.....What a shame that the
> fantasy has to end.....Innocent little darlings, haven't really got a
> clue why the demons had to be there....
> Bobbie:-)

Stan's school had it's Halloween party today. The flyers have been
going to the parents for weeks now. The theme for costume was a
Literary figure. Stan went as King Arthur, and he was magnificent, if I
don't say so myself. But, some of the kids thought he looked like the
King from The Little Mermaid. Stan said as he looked around the lunch
room today that there were some great costumes. But, surprisingly,
there were many Kung Foo, Tai Kwan Do(sp) and...shoot...what are those
characters that are so popular now? Can't remember. And this was 1st,
2nd, and even the pre-schoolers. I can honestly say that my child never
went with a store bought costume. I always made them. Our first
Halloween in Florida, Lil Mattie was in the parade riding inside a red
train (box) and he was dressed as an engineer. He was the Englewood
Express. He won a first prize. So, many years ago!
sue

NormaSG

Oct 27, 2000, 11:42:31 PM10/27/00

I'm practicing. :)

Butterkup

Oct 27, 2000, 11:54:52 PM10/27/00

Repeat after me:
The caaar is at the baaaar! Would you like a beaer? Ayup!
sue

Kelly Petit

Oct 28, 2000, 2:53:50 AM10/28/00
Sweet memories-:)
kelly
Butterkup <k...@ewol.com> a écrit dans le message :
39FA3BA8...@ewol.com...

Calja

Oct 28, 2000, 7:16:16 PM10/28/00
I LIKE you Knut <VBG> Faye
"Knut W. Jakset" <kwja...@c2i.net> wrote in message

> "Paul Goetze" <paul....@ns.sympatico.ca> skrev i melding
> | Time for my annual rant: If only children didn't love
> dressing up in
> | costumes and trick and treating so much! I hate the
> blasted day with
> | a passion. It's ugly, grotesque, depressing. It celebrates
> bad taste
> | and glorifies the ghoulish things usually found in slasher
> / horror
> | flicks. I know, I know. I am taking the whole thing way
> too
> | seriously. <g>
> |
> | Paul

Calja

Oct 28, 2000, 7:24:09 PM10/28/00
That's exactly it Kelly. I've watched Halloween come from a little celebrated event to a
full blown "Mardi Gras" thing. The merchants are rubbing their hands together and
chortling with glee! It's a money-maker and getting bigger all the time. Faye

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Oct 28, 2000, 11:20:45 AM10/28/00
Times have changed a lot since my kids enjoyed Halloween night. The
school used to have a Halloween Carnival on the Friday nearest
Halloween. It was fun and games, to raise money for the PTA. Then
early on Halloween night, the kids would dress in costumes and go around
the neighborhood where the porch lights were on. Everybody knew
everybody else because everybody had kids in the same school. It was
fun trying to guess who was who in the costumes.

Since the busing, the neighbors hardly know each other. Neighbor kids
will go only to the houses where they know the other kids live, and they
are always accompanied by an adult, and sometimes also by another adult
in a car or truck. My street is inhabited mostly by retirees, so
nobody comes around here any more. My various neighbors tell me they
keep a loaded shotgun beside the door. Blake

Kelly Petit

Oct 29, 2000, 2:35:45 AM10/29/00

Calja <fr...@mindspring.com> a écrit dans le message :
8tfn65$14b$1...@slb0.atl.mindspring.net...
And, it's the same with all other events, isn't it? Sure, the Xmas toys are
out in the shops too and in a week or two, we'll have Xmas decorations all
over the place. It takes a bit of the excitement away.
When I was a kid, we started at the beginning of December.
kelly

butter would not melt

Oct 30, 2000, 9:17:40 AM10/30/00
>Subject: Re: Hallowe'en .. arghh!
>From: Butterkup k...@ewol.com
>Date: 28/10/00 03:54 GMT Standard Time

mans paaaked in haaaavadd yadddd

(can u really say that stuff--ur like multilingual

"Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until
the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit"
Charles Bukovski;

zebra changeth not spots nor leopard stripes (Anamathames 536BC)
(can't blame Al for being a classicist)

Butterkup

Oct 30, 2000, 11:09:06 AM10/30/00

butter would not melt wrote:

> mans paaaked in haaaavadd yadddd
>
> (can u really say that stuff--ur like multilingual

Hang around Alfred the Maineiac long enough, you know how to pronounce
beer and bar.
Now....your car is parked in what yard?
sue

butter would not melt