Anyone notice?

1 view

lonestar

Feb 11, 2004, 10:58:02 PM2/11/04
Since Marian isn't near a computer, things seem to be calming down a bit.
I wonder iffn she is wearing a black armband now that W.Clark has quit
his race for the Democratic Nomination?
Robert :-)

lonestar

Feb 11, 2004, 11:22:21 PM2/11/04

Dink wrote:

> It's been wonderful. Now all we need is a massive power failure in
> Mont Tremblant.
>
> :-)
>
> Dink

Yep, that would be a Blessing!
Robert :-)

Bobbie

Feb 12, 2004, 5:07:43 AM2/12/04

"lonestar" <"lonestar"@netscapedot.net> wrote in message

Aw come on chaps.....be fair......Marian isn't here to reply, and the last
remark was just asking for a retort.
BTW I think in any case Marian would be pleased to see any Democrat beat
Mr George Bush in the Election.(Please correct me if I am wrong
Marian)....I know I would.
Lets try something....you and Dink and JimC all take a vacation for, lets
say, three weeks, and I bet ALL the unpleasantness would subside....

Bobbie:-)

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 5:48:38 AM2/12/04

"lonestar" <"lonestar"@netscapedot.net> a écrit dans le message de
That was not very nice of you, Robert!
It's just because you don't have anyone to reply naughty things to that the
situation has calmed down.
I'm surprised that you'd talk behind her back like this.

Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 5:49:45 AM2/12/04

"Bobbie" <smudge...@smithsonia.com>

> Aw come on chaps.....be fair......Marian isn't here to reply, and the last
> remark was just asking for a retort.
> BTW I think in any case Marian would be pleased to see any Democrat beat
> Mr George Bush in the Election.(Please correct me if I am wrong
> Marian)....I know I would.
> Lets try something....you and Dink and JimC all take a vacation for, lets
> say, three weeks, and I bet ALL the unpleasantness would subside....
>
> Bobbie:-)

LOL
Bobbie, now you're going to upset them.

Kelly

Jean B.

Feb 12, 2004, 6:02:34 AM2/12/04

Well, there are other here who are perfectly capable of making the
group unpleasant, so, to some extent, I think that is
coincidental. Also, we all choose whether or not we want to read
a particular person's posts--or particular threads, and we choose
whether we want to reply to same, and, if so, what we want to say.
--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Feb 12, 2004, 6:12:20 AM2/12/04
Or, if not that, people could refrain from making nasty comments
for three weeks, even if they are sorely provoked.

--
Jean B.

Bobbie

Feb 12, 2004, 6:37:04 AM2/12/04

"K.R.P." <nos...@newsranger.com> wrote in message
Well perhaps I should join them on vacation,,,,,,,Can you imagine that
Kelly. <vbg>
I have so much to do here and so many places to walk that I would
thoroughly enjoy a complete break....Not from the group as such but to
just take off with Pickle and not have to worry about another thing. The
house Auction comes up soon and we have to prepare our bid.....
I think I could spend time with the blokes for a few weeks. It might prove
interesting to us all...Dink could become the new AFPF techie in David's
temporary absence, Robert could tell me stories of his youth, JimC could
teach me how to talk back ( as if I needed that) what a happy bunch of
campers we would be.........(vbeg)

Bobbie:-)

Dink

Feb 12, 2004, 6:45:26 AM2/12/04
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:07:43 -0000, "Bobbie" <smudge...@smithsonia.com>
wrote:

>Aw come on chaps.....be fair......Marian isn't here to reply, and the last
>remark was just asking for a retort.
>BTW I think in any case Marian would be pleased to see any Democrat beat
>Mr George Bush in the Election.(Please correct me if I am wrong
>Marian)....I know I would.
>Lets try something....you and Dink and JimC all take a vacation for, lets
>say, three weeks, and I bet ALL the unpleasantness would subside....
>
>Bobbie:-)

Geeez, Bobbie. Have you no sense of humor? I think my remark was
rather mild as a retort to someone who wished death to our troops
in Iraq. And it's a plain fact that the political acrimony has
diminished in large part due to Marian's absence.

Dink

Bobbie

Feb 12, 2004, 6:50:18 AM2/12/04

"Dink" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

I think you could be right Dink. after a while it all becomes too much of
a habit and one I need to break.....A good 3 mile hike should do the
trick.
No hard feelings. I think you are a real cool dude. or something like
that;-)

Bobbie:-)

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 7:02:38 AM2/12/04

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> a écrit dans le message de

You're so right, Jean. As I said in another post, it takes two to make a
fight!
Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 7:04:54 AM2/12/04

"Bobbie" <smudge...@smithsonia.com>

> Well perhaps I should join them on vacation,,,,,,,Can you imagine that
> Kelly. <vbg>
> I have so much to do here and so many places to walk that I would
> thoroughly enjoy a complete break....Not from the group as such but to
> just take off with Pickle and not have to worry about another thing. The
> house Auction comes up soon and we have to prepare our bid.....
> I think I could spend time with the blokes for a few weeks. It might prove
> interesting to us all...Dink could become the new AFPF techie in David's
> temporary absence, Robert could tell me stories of his youth, JimC could
> teach me how to talk back ( as if I needed that) what a happy bunch of
> campers we would be.........(vbeg)
>
> Bobbie:-)

LOL
And then you could write a travelogue about your experience!!
I hope you'll have luck with the auction!
But can you really leave your lovely little garden?
I guess you'll soon manage to have another beautiful one though.
Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 7:07:59 AM2/12/04

"Dink" <m...@privacy.net>

> Geeez, Bobbie. Have you no sense of humor? I think my remark was
> rather mild as a retort to someone who wished death to our troops
> in Iraq. And it's a plain fact that the political acrimony has
> diminished in large part due to Marian's absence.
>
> Dink

I can tell you Dink that Bobbie has got a very good sense of humour, I know
her in person! Didn't _you_ understand that she was kidding?
I think we've all got a bit fed up with politics these days. I can only
speak for myself, of course, but I've come to a point where I just couldn't
take it any longer. So that's why I haven't answered to many political posts
lately, for instance.
No, it's not because of Marian. Anyhow, if you don't like what she writes,
you can always skip her posts. It's quite easy after all.

Kelly

Lorraine

Feb 12, 2004, 9:22:21 AM2/12/04
"Dink" <effyous...@nonags.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 03:58:02 GMT, "lonestar" <"lonestar"@netscapedot.net>
> wrote:
>
> It's been wonderful. Now all we need is a massive power failure in
> Mont Tremblant.
>
> :-)
>
> Dink

How disappointing for you....we have a generator :-))

Lorraine
In the beautiful Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada

Lorraine

Feb 12, 2004, 9:49:13 AM2/12/04

"Dink" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:07:43 -0000, "Bobbie" <smudge...@smithsonia.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Aw come on chaps.....be fair......Marian isn't here to reply, and the
last
> >remark was just asking for a retort.
> >BTW I think in any case Marian would be pleased to see any Democrat beat
> >Mr George Bush in the Election.(Please correct me if I am wrong
> >Marian)....I know I would.
> >Lets try something....you and Dink and JimC all take a vacation for, lets
> >say, three weeks, and I bet ALL the unpleasantness would subside....
> >
> >Bobbie:-)
>
> Geeez, Bobbie. Have you no sense of humor? I think my remark was
> rather mild as a retort to someone who wished death to our troops
> in Iraq.

Well Dink let me tell you. I, personally, haven't killed any of your
soldiers BUT your pResident is doing a fine job all on his own and I don't
see you standing up and asking questions. Such as: why is it that every
time the US announces that they are making progress against terrorists
activities in Iraq, further atrocities arise which are even more deadly than
the previous ones.

IMO your pResident is more interested in his reelection campaign than he is
in looking after the safety of your military. If it is clear to me that
more deaths occur after each of these statements, it must also be clear to
your Security Services. But it does not stop your pResident from making
these statements and perhaps it's him that you should turn to regarding the
deaths of your soldiers than me.

BTW, no need to show compassion for innocent Iraqi deaths....it's clear
where your sympathies lay.

>And it's a plain fact that the political acrimony has
> diminished in large part due to Marian's absence.

I miss Marian and I am sure other miss her too. She will be back at the end
of the month....so you will again have to face the truth instead of spending
all your time on this NG congratulating each other over non entities while
the rest of the world suffers from US aggression.

Lorraine
Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada.

> Dink

Vickie

Feb 12, 2004, 9:59:31 AM2/12/04
Dink wrote:
>[..]And it's a plain fact that the political acrimony has

> diminished in large part due to Marian's absence.

Only because you guys attack her and argue with her. If you'd just click
on by her posts, ignore her articles.. nothing would be slung. But it's
just too dang much fun for some, a kind of newsgroup sport. She sure
wouldn't argue with herself if you guys paid no attention to her pastings.

Of course, you'll have a good argument for this...

Vickie.. admires Marian's passion and guts, but doesn't read every
article she posts

LoneStar

Feb 12, 2004, 10:14:33 AM2/12/04

How can it be "talking behind her back"? She will see it as soon as she
turns her puter on.
Robert :-(

Bobbie

Feb 12, 2004, 10:16:52 AM2/12/04

"Vickie" <VBF...@privacy.net> wrote in message

To me she represents possibly the most ardent lover of her
country....America. So strongly does she feel about the way that Bush and
his administration have run things and what it is doing to the country
that she posts what she finds to back up her notions. I admire her
fervour. I feel sure if she had only been given the opportunity she would
have made a wonderful politician.....She is incredibly knowledgeable, not
only about politics but about so many subjects. She has a great sense of
humour and is a wonderful Mother and Grandmother......All good points in
my book. What she does is give the fellows a run for their money.....they
don't like it.

Bobbie:-)

LoneStar

Feb 12, 2004, 10:17:14 AM2/12/04

Bobbie wrote:

Lets try something....you and Dink and JimC all take a vacation for, lets
say, three weeks, and I bet ALL the unpleasantness would subside....

Bobbie:-)

You may be correct but I really doubt that would happen.
Robert

Lorraine

Feb 12, 2004, 10:28:18 AM2/12/04
"Bobbie" <smudge...@smithsonia.com> wrote in message

I couldn't agree more Bobbie. You have said everything and there is nothing
more to say.
However, patriotism comes at a price from the less knowledgeable and leaves
Marian open to unjustifiable criticism as alternatives are rarely posted IMO

Lorraine

Bobbie

Feb 12, 2004, 10:31:58 AM2/12/04

"LoneStar" <west...@ditdot.net> wrote in message

Sad isn't it Robert. So many wonderful things to learn from each other,
and just not the situation to do so.
I still think it possible.....I can't believe that we aren't all adult
enough and caring enough to make it so.
What is to be achieved by being unkind to each other? Isn't Osama Bin
Laden and his ilk doing enough of that.
This is a wonderful group and we could get back all the lost souls
(figuratively speaking, for the lurkers) with a little effort.

Give us a hug,

Bobbie;-)

Bobbie

Feb 12, 2004, 10:55:29 AM2/12/04

"Lorraine" <lorraine.verona@(Unwanted)cgocable.ca> wrote in message
Right!....If only we, I mean those who are interested in politics, I know
that not everyone is, nor need be. were able to state our views, discuss
them where possible, hear the other side or point of view.....Think how
pleasant and educational that would be.....
I haven't a clue how the process of picking candidates to run against Bush
are chosen, but I would like to. If I were to ask, or make a point about a
prospective Democrat, I would be pilloried, or given in gory detail every
one of Clinton's misdemeanours. I happen to know that not all those who
oppose Marian, necessarily approve of Bush. so why the calls of
Anti-American....I get it, you get it, anyone who dares to say that things
are not what they should be with the Bush administration are immediately
labelled, Anti-American.....
The same with omissions. There are so many atrocities happening in the
world, so many terribly despotic leaders committing any number of crimes
against humanity, it is impossible to mention each and everyone without
turning the whole group into a meeting of the maudlin....but we still get
told we don't care. What a shame......

Bobbie:-)

LoneStar

Feb 12, 2004, 11:05:37 AM2/12/04

Bobbie wrote:

((((HUGGS)))
Robert

Faye Ray

Feb 12, 2004, 11:19:18 AM2/12/04
We are in mourning alright ! LOL! Faye, who didn't get a chance to get on
the 'puter yesterday.

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 12:25:19 PM2/12/04

"Vickie" <VBF...@privacy.net> a écrit dans le message de

So do I Vickie. I don't always read the articles as most of the time I've
read something similar in my own newspapers, but I think she's got a
terrific stamina! Of course, she could also skip their posts-:)
She's taken it upon herself, single-handedly, to educate the uneducated
mass in here <g>
I'm also sure she loves her country as much if not more sometimes, than
anyone else does here. (speaking about anyone here)
Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 12:31:37 PM2/12/04

"LoneStar" <west...@ditdot.net>

> How can it be "talking behind her back"? She will see it as soon as she
> turns her puter on.
> Robert :-(

OK, maybe you miss her then-:)

You can be such a charming fellow, Robert, when you want to. But why not be
a bit more of a gentleman and just leave her alone if you can't stand what
she writes. After all neither you not her will be able to change much in
this group. But you and some of the others that constantly attack her, have
in your power to destroy this group.

I don't have anything against anybody because he or she doesn't agree with
me, it's the foul, gutter language I can't stand.

There are many ways of telling people that you don't agree with them and I -
personally - think that if you have to resort to such language (I'm not
saying you personally, but anyone), then it is because you don't have any
valuable arguments.

Let's try and behave like 50+-:)

Kelly - who hopes Marian has a marvellous time with her daughter and
grandkid

Yoj

Feb 12, 2004, 1:48:13 PM2/12/04
"lonestar" <"lonestar"@netscapedot.net> wrote in message
> Since Marian isn't near a computer, things seem to be calming down a
bit.
> I wonder iffn she is wearing a black armband now that W.Clark has quit
> his race for the Democratic Nomination?
> Robert :-)

Thanks, Robert. (That's sarcasm, btw.) The last time somebody made a
remark like this, a few months ago, the newsgroup erupted into a war
that has left scars that still exist.

Joy

Dink

Feb 12, 2004, 2:03:11 PM2/12/04

I seldom take on Marian, but sometimes her cockamamie posts cry
out to be challenged. I suppose you want me to keep it buttoned
as John F-word Kerry implodes today? http://drudgereport.com

Dink

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 2:45:07 PM2/12/04

"Dink" <m...@privacy.net>

> I seldom take on Marian, but sometimes her cockamamie posts cry
> out to be challenged. I suppose you want me to keep it buttoned
> as John F-word Kerry implodes today? http://drudgereport.com
>
> Dink

Just read about this in my Norwegian paper, the fight has begun and they're
out to get each other. I just can't understand how they can draw someone's
private life into public. After all _he_ did not lie in front of the jury,
did he?
This would be called slander over here. How can people go to such length
that they dig up things like this?

Kelly

Marsha

Feb 12, 2004, 2:54:41 PM2/12/04
For some reason it always happens at election time, who can make the other
guy worse than he himself. I'm sure this is just the beginning

"K.R.P." <nos...@newsranger.com> wrote in message

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 3:06:54 PM2/12/04

"Marsha" <mhuc...@bellsouth.net> a écrit dans le message de

> For some reason it always happens at election time, who can make the other
> guy worse than he himself. I'm sure this is just the beginning

So what's going to be later? I think that people who dig up things like that
to use it for political success can't be reliable. I guess they'll do it
from both sides as I also heard that Bush has failed as a father. His twins
seem to be quite some terrible girls.
But what is true and what is false in all this??

Kelly

Bobbie

Feb 12, 2004, 3:10:26 PM2/12/04

"Dink" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Surely this type of 'news' is inevitable and all part and parcel of
campaigning. Digging the dirt happens all the time, to all the candidates.
Do you really think this will make a difference? and will it mean Edwards
getting a look in?

Bobbie:-)

Marsha

Feb 12, 2004, 3:31:49 PM2/12/04
I'd like to hear a lot more of Edwards and his position but their too busy
bashing Bush.

"Bobbie" <smudge...@smithsonia.com> wrote in message

Marsha

Feb 12, 2004, 3:30:41 PM2/12/04
Gee, I haven't heard they were terrible girls, just typical college kids
doing stupid things college kids do

"K.R.P." <nos...@newsranger.com> wrote in message

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Feb 12, 2004, 3:44:57 PM2/12/04
Kelly, what I recall about the last campaign, Gore acted like a boy
scout instead of bringing up any of Bush's personal failings; while the
Bush side called Gore a liar among other things, and indicated that he
approved of Clinton's personal actions, because he kept quiet and did
his job as VP. So Gore lost.

So this time, the mud will probly fly both ways. And probly
forevermore, since negative campaigns are effective.
Blake

-----------

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 4:00:26 PM2/12/04

<DittyDu...@webtv.net> a écrit dans le message de

> Kelly, what I recall about the last campaign, Gore acted like a boy
> scout instead of bringing up any of Bush's personal failings; while the
> Bush side called Gore a liar among other things, and indicated that he
> approved of Clinton's personal actions, because he kept quiet and did
> his job as VP. So Gore lost.
>
> So this time, the mud will probly fly both ways. And probly
> forevermore, since negative campaigns are effective.
> Blake

How can people put up with things like that? Or maybe it's part of the
game - you rake up as much mud as possible.
I must say I'm glad elections are not like that over here-:)
If it were the case, I'd probably stop voting ...
kelly

Dink

Feb 12, 2004, 4:21:55 PM2/12/04
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:10:26 -0000, "Bobbie" <smudge...@smithsonia.com>
wrote:

In 1987, Gary Hart was brought down by the revelation of a dalliance:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/4069344.htm

Dink

Bobbie

Feb 12, 2004, 4:41:10 PM2/12/04

> >> I seldom take on Marian, but sometimes her cockamamie posts cry
> >> out to be challenged. I suppose you want me to keep it buttoned
> >> as John F-word Kerry implodes today? http://drudgereport.com
> >>
> >> Dink
> >
> >Surely this type of 'news' is inevitable and all part and parcel of
> >campaigning. Digging the dirt happens all the time, to all the
candidates.
> >Do you really think this will make a difference? and will it mean
Edwards
> >getting a look in?
> >
> >Bobbie:-)
> >

> In 1987, Gary Hart was brought down by the revelation of a dalliance:
> http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/4069344.htm
>
> Dink

Interesting!....As a woman I am in two minds about whether I would trust
any man who cheated on his wife, but having seen how Bill Clinton was able
to do just that and still be a good President.....at least in my British
eyes.
On the other hand I suppose any threat of discovery could lead to
blackmail and that in itself is very worrying.
I hope that this all proves to be an untruth and that Kerry can continue
to make his mark. He still appears to be the better of the two men. Kerry
v Bush. However, as I pointed out earlier I am quite ignorant of how
American politics work, Marian was enlightening me when she could. Just as
you do on occasion.
Thank you.
Bobbie:-)

K.R.P.

Feb 12, 2004, 4:46:09 PM2/12/04

"Dink" <m...@privacy.net>

> In 1987, Gary Hart was brought down by the revelation of a dalliance:
> http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/4069344.htm
>
> Dink

I just find it disgusting that journalists should peek into people's private
lives like that.
On the other hand, I guess that those who have any political ambitions in
the USA know the situation and had better stay put!
I'd forgotten the story, but reading the article I remember the scandal at
the time.

Kelly

Jean B.

Feb 12, 2004, 6:18:07 PM2/12/04
DittyDu...@webtv.net wrote:

> Kelly, what I recall about the last campaign, Gore acted like a boy
> scout instead of bringing up any of Bush's personal failings; while the
> Bush side called Gore a liar among other things, and indicated that he
> approved of Clinton's personal actions, because he kept quiet and did
> his job as VP. So Gore lost.
>
> So this time, the mud will probly fly both ways. And probly
> forevermore, since negative campaigns are effective.
> Blake

Unfortunately, it does look like the candidates will have to play
by the same rules. I'm sure there is plenty that can get thrown
at Bush.

--
Jean B.

Marsha

Feb 12, 2004, 6:21:46 PM2/12/04
It isn't just reporters, it's also the political party's that do this

"K.R.P." <nos...@newsranger.com> wrote in message

Jean B.

Feb 12, 2004, 6:24:11 PM2/12/04
"K.R.P." wrote:

> How can people put up with things like that? Or maybe it's part of the
> game - you rake up as much mud as possible.
> I must say I'm glad elections are not like that over here-:)
> If it were the case, I'd probably stop voting ...
> kelly

Wouldn't it be nice if elections here (and everywhere) were just
about who could do the job well. I don't see that ever happening
here. It's unfortunate. Lots of underhanded games.
--
Jean B.

Jim Chandler

Feb 12, 2004, 6:27:09 PM2/12/04
Tell you what, Bobbie. You send me a couple of thousand dollars (US of
course) and I would GLADLY take a vacation! :-)

JimC

Jim Chandler

Feb 12, 2004, 6:36:43 PM2/12/04
The thing, Bobbie, about Marian's posts is that NOTHING the Republican
administration does is, or ever will be, good enough for her. As for
the re-hashing of Clinton's behavior, criminal and otherwise, she is so
enamoured of Clinton, or any Democrat for that matter, that it gets a
little tiring hearing about how great they are, whether the truth or
not. The Democrats have been as bad as, or in some cases, worse than
the Republicans (the reverse can also be said), but she can't see that.

As for how the candidates are chosen, the parties have "primary
elections" in which only their registered party members can vote. At
the end of the primary season, supposedly, the one candidate who won the
greatest number of elections will get the nomination to oppose the
incumbent, or the candidate of the other party in the event that partys
candidate is termed out (they are only allowed two terms). These
elections, however, are not binding on the delegates from the various
states and they can cast their votes at the convention for whom ever
they like. Of course, this is probably not a good idea because those
back home might get a little upset. Hope this helps.

JimC

Vickie

Feb 12, 2004, 6:40:43 PM2/12/04
Dink wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:59:31 -0600, Vickie <VBF...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>Dink wrote:
>>>[..]And it's a plain fact that the political acrimony has
>>>diminished in large part due to Marian's absence.
>>
>>Only because you guys attack her and argue with her. If you'd just click
>>on by her posts, ignore her articles.. nothing would be slung. But it's
>>just too dang much fun for some, a kind of newsgroup sport. She sure
>>wouldn't argue with herself if you guys paid no attention to her
pastings.

>>Of course, you'll have a good argument for this...
>>
>>Vickie.. admires Marian's passion and guts, but doesn't read every
>>article she posts
>
> I seldom take on Marian, but sometimes her cockamamie posts cry
> out to be challenged.

I'm thinking of that saying - 'what if they gave a war and nobody
came?'.. well, what if Marian posted an article and nobody cussed?
;-) ..but that will never happen.. people have a right to state what
they think.. if only they would keep it at that, and quit the vile
personal attacks and the vulgar language.

The truth is *some* of you guys LOVE to jump into the fray - and Marian
seems to enjoy it too, she gives as good as she gets WITHOUT uttering
a vulgar word.. so carping about group harmony is a little hypocritical
when some do it.

...and I can't believe I am talking about this...

>I suppose you want me to keep it buttoned
> as John F-word Kerry implodes today? http://drudgereport.com
> Dink

Nope, I'd be surprised if you kept it buttoned ;-)..and yep, already
been reading some about it:

http://www.opednews.com/exit.php

...and this is just the beginning. Our country is still divided about
50/50 - like last election - and both sides are going to claw and
scratch and fight for every vote.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here I have
never seen people so energized - well, maybe since they tried to impeach
Clinton...

People seem to be just plain disgusted. You hear it in restaurants,
supermarket checkout lines, waiting rooms, etc. You don't hear so much
about the war and WMD, but about jobs, the economy, the deficit,
Republican spending, stiffing veterans...and this is a Republican state,
Bush carried it easily in 2000.

There is some good-natured arguing, but very few are defending the
president. I overheard a Republican say 'the sucker won't get my vote
again'.. and I'm wondering, what will this guy do on election day? Stay
home?

Vickie

Jim Chandler

Feb 12, 2004, 6:42:32 PM2/12/04
Public figures are exempt from the slander bit here, Kelly. If you put
yourself in the public eye you aree fair game for almost anything. That
doesn't mean it's right or fair. That's just the way it is. I don't
know why they keep doing that because we have come to put such
sleazeballs into politics and accept their deplorable behavior, behavior
that we would not accept from doctors, preachers, lawyers, etc. I think
it's reprehensible but as long as the system is the way it is and the
public allows these pukewads to get away these things and, in fact, at
times applaudes this behavior, it's not going to change.

JimC

Jim Chandler

Feb 12, 2004, 6:45:28 PM2/12/04
Bush's daughters are typical of that age, Kelly (early 20's) and are
rebelling against authority. They just want to do the normal things
kids of that age do without the pressure of the public eye. They didn't
ask for, nor do they want, to be in that position. It's like Al Gores
son being arrested for drug use a couple of weeks ago.

JimC

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Feb 12, 2004, 7:17:30 PM2/12/04
Somebody pays the reporters; somebody oks the publishing of this
material; somebody tells the reporters to go after this kind of story.
The men who own the media outlets say what they want to broadcast. I
was just horrified when Clinton had an open press conference with Tony
Blair, but the only questions the reporters asked were about Clinton's
personal (and should have been private) life.

Kerry's wife says she will spend her money to protect her family, so
expect some repercussions if the opposition gets too nasty..

This time Bush will be up against an opponant who is not hog-tied with
how much money he can spend. It will be a different race.
Blake
------------------
mhuc...@bellsouth.net (Marsha)

Eugene A. Calame

Feb 12, 2004, 8:03:06 PM2/12/04
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:36:43 GMT, Jim Chandler <n4...@gte.net> wrote:

>The thing, Bobbie, about Marian's posts is that NOTHING the Republican
>administration does is, or ever will be, good enough for her. As for
>the re-hashing of Clinton's behavior, criminal and otherwise, she is so
>enamoured of Clinton, or any Democrat for that matter, that it gets a
>little tiring hearing about how great they are, whether the truth or
>not. The Democrats have been as bad as, or in some cases, worse than
>the Republicans (the reverse can also be said), but she can't see that.
>
>As for how the candidates are chosen, the parties have "primary
>elections" in which only their registered party members can vote. At
>the end of the primary season, supposedly, the one candidate who won the
>greatest number of elections will get the nomination to oppose the
>incumbent, or the candidate of the other party in the event that partys
>candidate is termed out (they are only allowed two terms). These
>elections, however, are not binding on the delegates from the various
>states and they can cast their votes at the convention for whom ever
>they like. Of course, this is probably not a good idea because those
>back home might get a little upset. Hope this helps.
>
>JimC

Aren't the delegates bound to vote for the candidate they are selected to
represent at the convention on the first round. If no candidate gets a majority
of the convention votes they are then released to vote for who they please.

--
Eugene A. Calame eaca...@excite.com
Austin, Texas USA

Want to try something new? Try alt.misc.friends

Lorraine

Feb 12, 2004, 8:31:57 PM2/12/04

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message news:402C09AF...@rcn.com...

On CNN tonight, the new story on Bush is that he took an ex girlfriend to an
abortion clinic and paid for the abortion. Yet this is the president who is
totally opposed to abortion.

Obviously this is an outright lie perpetrated by the Democrat Party :-))

Lorraine

Lorraine

Feb 12, 2004, 9:36:50 PM2/12/04

"Marsha" <mhuc...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> For some reason it always happens at election time, who can make the other
> guy worse than he himself. I'm sure this is just the beginning

Don't you think that it would be preferable for investigations to be made on
potential presidential candidates to ascertain if there is anything
unsavoury in their past which would give the average American voter a sense
of whom they were voting for and why?
Rather than finding out all of the obnoxious incidents involving the present
elected president after he took his place inside the White House.

The campaign here in Quebec runs very differently than yours. The
candidates are more focussed on what they will do to change the Government
and they argue over different views of potential candidates rather than the
imperfections in their personal lives.
I remember an incident about 25 years ago when one prospective candidate had
been scrutinised and one journalist on television uncovered the story of his
past. The day after his name was deleted from the runners.

Lorraine

Lorraine

Feb 12, 2004, 9:42:20 PM2/12/04

> Gee, I haven't heard they were terrible girls, just typical college kids
> doing stupid things college kids do

The only thing I have heard was that one of the twins was arrested in a bar
where she was drinking (she was under age)...I could not understand why her
bodyguard had not reacted to her entering a bar when he knew she was under
age.

The only thing I support regarding Bush is that he kept his daughters
totally out of the public eye when he could have used them for
electioneering purposes.

Lorraine

Jim Chandler

Feb 12, 2004, 11:33:56 PM2/12/04
I don't think so, Eugene, at least not by anything written. I believe,
and I could be wrong, that the only thing binding the delegates is their
morality (and we know how that goes in politics, don't we).

JimC

Jim Chandler

Feb 12, 2004, 11:36:49 PM2/12/04
I don't think he WANTED to use them for that purpose. I think the girls
have always been somewhat rebellious and not in the least inclined to
get into the political side of life. Probably would have done him more
harm than good.

JimC

K.R.P.

Feb 13, 2004, 3:30:43 AM2/13/04

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> a écrit dans le message de

For the moment they seem to focus on his not being present where he ought to
have been
Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 13, 2004, 3:31:32 AM2/13/04

"Marsha" <mhuc...@bellsouth.net>

> It isn't just reporters, it's also the political party's that do this

I guess so, otherwise it wouldn't be any fun for the media.
Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 13, 2004, 3:36:30 AM2/13/04

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> a écrit dans le message de

It would-:)
I remember when it came out that the late French president François
Mitterand had a daughter outside wedlock. A lot of people had known about
this for years, but it never reached the newspapers before he himself wanted
to make it official. Of course, it made a lot of talk at the time, but no
one questioned his ability or unability in politics for that matter.
Not that I approve of such things, but I don't think it's got anything to do
with politics. It didn't 230 years ago in the US either...

Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 13, 2004, 3:32:33 AM2/13/04

> Somebody pays the reporters; somebody oks the publishing of this
> material; somebody tells the reporters to go after this kind of story.
> The men who own the media outlets say what they want to broadcast. I
> was just horrified when Clinton had an open press conference with Tony
> Blair, but the only questions the reporters asked were about Clinton's
> personal (and should have been private) life.
>
> Kerry's wife says she will spend her money to protect her family, so
> expect some repercussions if the opposition gets too nasty..
>
> This time Bush will be up against an opponant who is not hog-tied with
> how much money he can spend. It will be a different race.
> Blake
> ------------------

I sometimes wonder if some of this is staged by the opponents??
Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 13, 2004, 3:41:08 AM2/13/04

"Jim Chandler" <n4...@gte.net> a écrit dans le message de

> Public figures are exempt from the slander bit here, Kelly. If you put
> yourself in the public eye you aree fair game for almost anything. That
> doesn't mean it's right or fair. That's just the way it is. I don't
> know why they keep doing that because we have come to put such
> sleazeballs into politics and accept their deplorable behavior, behavior
> that we would not accept from doctors, preachers, lawyers, etc. I think
> it's reprehensible but as long as the system is the way it is and the
> public allows these pukewads to get away these things and, in fact, at
> times applaudes this behavior, it's not going to change.
>
> JimC

Yes, I understand that.
I still wonder how much of this is set up though.
Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 13, 2004, 3:42:14 AM2/13/04

> Bush's daughters are typical of that age, Kelly (early 20's) and are
> rebelling against authority. They just want to do the normal things
> kids of that age do without the pressure of the public eye. They didn't
> ask for, nor do they want, to be in that position. It's like Al Gores
> son being arrested for drug use a couple of weeks ago.
>
> JimC

I'm glad I didn't have 'normal' teens then. Drugs, drunken driving, etc. ...
Do you really think that is normal?

Kelly

K.R.P.

Feb 13, 2004, 3:42:58 AM2/13/04

"Lorraine" <lorraine.verona@(Unwanted)cgocable.ca>

> On CNN tonight, the new story on Bush is that he took an ex girlfriend to
an
> abortion clinic and paid for the abortion. Yet this is the president who
is
> totally opposed to abortion.
>
> Obviously this is an outright lie perpetrated by the Democrat Party :-))
>
> Lorraine

Why didn't they come up with that 4 years ago?
kelly

Bobbie

Feb 13, 2004, 5:11:54 AM2/13/04
Well Jim lad, I don't actually agree with that, but that's OK. In one
respect Politics is the same for us, each party blackguarding the other.
Thank you for the info I see I have a lot to learn.
Gaining brownie points was never on Marian's agenda.
BUT lets agree, we disagree on this......but about that vacation....
How about I was to give you $5000 where would you go?....would it be
enough?
Let's try a touch of the Desert Islands....What book would you take? what
piece of music? what luxury item?.....
Give it a go why don't you.
Bobbie:-)

"Jim Chandler" <n4...@gte.net> wrote in message

> The thing, Bobbie, about Marian's posts is that NOTHING the Republican
> administration does is, or ever will be, good enough for her. As for
> the re-hashing of Clinton's behavior, criminal and otherwise, she is so
> enamoured of Clinton, or any Democrat for that matter, that it gets a
> little tiring hearing about how great they are, whether the truth or
> not. The Democrats have been as bad as, or in some cases, worse than
> the Republicans (the reverse can also be said), but she can't see that.
>
> As for how the candidates are chosen, the parties have "primary
> elections" in which only their registered party members can vote. At
> the end of the primary season, supposedly, the one candidate who won the
> greatest number of elections will get the nomination to oppose the
> incumbent, or the candidate of the other party in the event that partys
> candidate is termed out (they are only allowed two terms). These
> elections, however, are not binding on the delegates from the various
> states and they can cast their votes at the convention for whom ever
> they like. Of course, this is probably not a good idea because those
> back home might get a little upset. Hope this helps.
>
> JimC

>> > Right!....If only we, I mean those who are interested in politics, I

Jean B.

Feb 13, 2004, 7:38:17 AM2/13/04

Well, the Ds are all liars and the Rs always tell the truth,
dontcha know. <g>
--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Feb 13, 2004, 8:56:25 AM2/13/04
Bobbie wrote:

> Well Jim lad, I don't actually agree with that, but that's OK. In one
> respect Politics is the same for us, each party blackguarding the other.
> Thank you for the info I see I have a lot to learn.
> Gaining brownie points was never on Marian's agenda.
> BUT lets agree, we disagree on this......but about that vacation....
> How about I was to give you $5000 where would you go?....would it be
> enough?
> Let's try a touch of the Desert Islands....What book would you take? what
> piece of music? what luxury item?.....
> Give it a go why don't you.
> Bobbie:-)

That might be a nice thread, Bobbie--with the proviso that it
could not be used on essentials.
--
Jean B.

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Feb 13, 2004, 9:52:01 AM2/13/04
Journalists in US respected the office of president, and did not publish
derogatory stuff about their personal life up until the Clinton
administration. For some strange reason, they were relentless on him
his entire lenght of office, scrutinizing his private life. That was
the beginning of all this nasty stuff.

Roosevelt was unable to walk, but the press never showed his leg braces,
never showed him being carried. He would be in a deck chair with a robe
over his legs, or he would be in a standing position on the observation
deck of a train, or behind a desk.

Even Nixon was criticised only for the underhanded deeds in office,
which may have exposed some personality flaws, but still stopped short
of hounding him to extinction.

Perhaps with this new candidate's power to strike back, they will keep
it in check a little better this time. It is ok to criticize what he
did in office, how he voted, the mistakes he made, and the lies he
told, so you can expect that. Drudge publishes everything against the
opposite side. This time, there will probly be retaliation.
Blake
----------------------

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Feb 13, 2004, 10:02:12 AM2/13/04
It was reported that the daughters were not interested in campaigning
for their father. They wished he had kept out of politics. But then,
if you aren't there, you can't know what really is the case.

There is a lot more stuff that has pretty much been squelched. That
suits me, as I don't want to know personal and private secrets, anyway.
I am concerned with actions in office.
Blake

--------------

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Feb 13, 2004, 10:11:57 AM2/13/04
In my state, on the ballot for each of the primary elections, there was
a set of delegates marked "uncommitted", as well as sets pledged to vote
for each candidate. Al Sharpton got 4% of the vote.

IN my state, one is not registered as to party. When entering the
polling place, one is asked which primary is preferred. You can vote in
only one primary, but it can be either one.

We also had some local offices vacant. If you wanted to vote for the
local republican candidate, you had to vote in the republican primary.
Same for the democratic candidate.
Blake
------------------------
n4...@gte.net (Jim Chandler)

I don't think so, Eugene, at least not by anything written. I believe,
and I could be wrong, that the only thing binding the delegates is their
morality (and we know how that goes in politics, don't we).
JimC

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Feb 13, 2004, 10:29:38 AM2/13/04
Me, either. But then "normal" seems to be a matter of opinion. Same
for "typical."
Blake
--------------------

I'm glad I didn't have 'normal' teens then. Drugs, drunken driving, etc.
.. Do you really think that is normal?
Kelly

LoneStar

Feb 13, 2004, 10:38:47 AM2/13/04

Yes, this was "leaked" by Kerry's own Party Opponent, Wesley Clark.
Robert :-)

Jean B.

Feb 13, 2004, 1:19:04 PM2/13/04
"K.R.P." wrote:

> I'm glad I didn't have 'normal' teens then. Drugs, drunken driving, etc. ...
> Do you really think that is normal?
>
> Kelly

I don't think that is typical either.
--
Jean B.

Kelly Petit

Feb 13, 2004, 2:38:02 PM2/13/04

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> a écrit dans le message de

I hope not!
kelly

Jim Chandler

Feb 13, 2004, 3:29:29 PM2/13/04
Unfortunately, in this age and in this country is more "normal" than one
would suspect. Today's teen think nothing of using drugs or alcohol,
sex is a play toy (in more ways than one) and respect for others is
mostly a thing of the past.

JimC

Jim Chandler

Feb 13, 2004, 3:31:15 PM2/13/04
Quite a bit, I suspect. Whether a person can do the job or not is,
unfortunately, immaterial in today's politics. It all boils down to who
can dodge or "spin" the dirt thrown at them and come up the "cleanest".

JimC

Jim Chandler

Feb 13, 2004, 3:36:19 PM2/13/04
That sounds good to me, Bobbie. I'd probably take a collection of John
Grisham and Tom Clancy books that I haven't read yet and a variety of
music. A desert island for a couple of months, with no company but a
couple of wild women who don't mind sharing ( don't want to wear one
out, you know) and plenty of food and water with a small shelter (my
needs aren't many in that respect) and I think I could have myself a
grand old time.

A place where I had nothing to do but eat, read, sleep and scr** would
be great. Any volunteers? :-)

JimC

Jim Chandler

Feb 13, 2004, 3:38:20 PM2/13/04
I have to make ONE little change to that, Jean. Politician is spelled
liar, regardless of the party. If they were to tell the truth they'd
never get elected.

JimC

Bobbie

Feb 13, 2004, 4:15:42 PM2/13/04
LOL...but, but, Jim the whole idea is that you only take ONE book, One
piece of music......of course that would mean taking a generator for the
electricity....which means you could also have a fridge, and microwave,
ooooh and a CD player.....a radio....hardly doin without is it....<vbg>
and if the Desert Island is in the Canary Islands or Maldives......the
possibilities are endless.....
You wouldn't have a minute to think of Bush or Kerry.....

Bobbie:-)

"Jim Chandler" <n4...@gte.net> wrote in message

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Feb 13, 2004, 4:56:54 PM2/13/04
Then in 15 to 20 years, we will have their however many children, little
clones?
BLake
--------------------
n4...@gte.net (Jim Chandler)

Jim Chandler

Feb 13, 2004, 7:30:05 PM2/13/04
The last sentence is the best part of the whole thing. Ever hear of
solar power? No generator needed. Besides, if the two women keep me
busy I won't need any of the rest of the stuff. :-)

JimC

Jim Chandler

Feb 13, 2004, 7:31:01 PM2/13/04
Nope, that problem was taken care of in 1975. Blanks only, thank you
very much, Planned Parenthood!

JimC

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Feb 13, 2004, 8:40:30 PM2/13/04
LOL! You ARE kidding, aren't you? It hasn't made that much difference
here.
Blake
--------------------

Jim Chandler

Feb 13, 2004, 11:47:24 PM2/13/04
Well, all I can say is that since the snip-snip, there haven't been any
more little Jims running around and there have certainly been enough
opportunities.

JimC

Kelly Petit

Feb 14, 2004, 7:10:53 AM2/14/04

> Quite a bit, I suspect. Whether a person can do the job or not is,
> unfortunately, immaterial in today's politics. It all boils down to who
> can dodge or "spin" the dirt thrown at them and come up the "cleanest".
>
> JimC

Once again my paper was full of it this morning. They say it'll be the
meanest election ever...

Kelly

Kelly Petit

Feb 14, 2004, 7:10:12 AM2/14/04

> Unfortunately, in this age and in this country is more "normal" than one
> would suspect. Today's teen think nothing of using drugs or alcohol,
> sex is a play toy (in more ways than one) and respect for others is
> mostly a thing of the past.
>
> JimC

It's hard to believe though.
Kelly

Dink

Feb 14, 2004, 8:07:20 AM2/14/04
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:10:53 +0100, "Kelly Petit" <nos...@newsranger.com>
wrote:

>They say it'll be the meanest election ever...
>
>Kelly

Sad to say, that opinion is probably correct.
Dink

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Feb 14, 2004, 8:07:49 AM2/14/04
You know I was talking about the problem kids, not you.

Jim Chandler

Feb 14, 2004, 5:23:16 PM2/14/04
OH! Whoops, my mistake. :-)

JimC