AFO

doc

Dec 2, 2012, 11:20:52 PM12/2/12
Once upon a time, not too long ago, alt.fiction.original was a vibrant
newsgroup full of wonderful and truly original stories by aspiring writers
from around the world, a true global community. Stories were posted,
critiques were written, arguments ensued, but everyone was happy.

Or so it seemed.

Until someone said, "Publishing your story on the Internet means you can't
sell your story to the magazines!"

Panic ensued, as every writer truly believed that they were going to make a
fortune from magazine publishing. Why endanger that fortune by giving
pleasure for free when you could get paid for it?

Why indeed?

And so, AFO died.

Unfortunately, so did the magazines. No market. No fortunes. No joy.

That's the bad news. The good news is AFO is still here, waiting for
stories and critiques and arguments just like the old days except that I'm
now in charge. That's the other bad news.

But it could be good if you can write, have some idea of English grammar
and punctuation, and aren't afraid to put your stories on USENET even if
the New Yorker sniffs it uppity fucking nose at you.

Of course, I might just stuff your story back up your sorry patoot if you
can't write worth a damn but that's still better than getting a rejection
from a snobby New York literature critic wannabe, isn't it? If they deign
to answer at all.

Besides, you can lie. If you write a really good story that survives AFOs
critiques and even improves from it, you can always submit it those
assholes just by changing the title and author's name. No one gets paid
enough to save their publisher $50 by checking beyond that.

So, what do you have to lose?

AFO is open for business once more.

Let the games begin!

oned...@hotmail.com

Dec 16, 2012, 3:03:27 AM12/16/12
On Sunday, December 2, 2012 11:20:52 PM UTC-5, doc wrote:
> Once upon a time, not too long ago, alt.fiction.original was a vibrant
>
> newsgroup full of wonderful and truly original stories by aspiring writers
>
> from around the world, a true global community. Stories were posted,
>
> critiques were written, arguments ensued, but everyone was happy.

Oh, bullshit.

This newsgroup didn't die on the vine because people wanted to be published; it withered due to in-fighting, factionalism, and no one being allowed fully "in" unless they'd been here since day one.

Having said that: I still miss Quadpus (wherever you are, Brian, I hope you are still writing your fluid, telling & insanely smartypants prose) and Native Law (to this damn day, I think about that lovely, haunting, slip of story,"What This Was About") and many, many other moments; what I don't miss is all the bullshit.

eve

Alaric McDermott

Jan 6, 2013, 12:25:41 PM1/6/13
If you're still there, doc, we'll see what we can do. If not, I shan't
bother.

Haven't written anything in years.

doc

Jan 6, 2013, 2:48:12 PM1/6/13
"Alaric McDermott" <alar...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> If you're still there, doc, we'll see what we can do. If not, I shan't
> bother.
>
> Haven't written anything in years.

Neither have I, but let's see what we can do.

Alaric McDermott

Jan 6, 2013, 4:09:29 PM1/6/13
Well, let's set ourselves a couple of targets. Story each within - I dunno -
two weeks? And review everything that anybody sends in.

Meanwhile, I'll put a note on the two web groups, neither of which have more
than a couple of active people (not, unfortunately, including me - I could
never get used to losing the simplicity of communication in a newsgroup).

Shuggie

Jan 6, 2013, 5:09:22 PM1/6/13
Alaric McDermott <alar...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Well, let's set ourselves a couple of targets. Story each within - I dunno -
> two weeks? And review everything that anybody sends in.
>
> Meanwhile, I'll put a note on the two web groups, neither of which have more
> than a couple of active people (not, unfortunately, including me - I could
> never get used to losing the simplicity of communication in a newsgroup).

I've resurrected my old newsreading setup and am subscribed again.

Alaric McDermott

Jan 6, 2013, 7:26:34 PM1/6/13
Yay. Well done. Three musketeers.

"Shuggie" wrote in message

born...@yahoo.com

Jan 7, 2013, 6:55:13 AM1/7/13
Re-subbed.

Bart

Alaric McDermott

Jan 7, 2013, 2:38:02 PM1/7/13
You're last, so you're Porthos.

wrote in message

perff...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2013, 11:38:15 PM1/10/13
magical
JEWETT IS IN

Alaric McDermott

Jan 11, 2013, 9:48:37 AM1/11/13
Hi, Jeff.

wrote in message

alleg...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2013, 2:24:56 PM4/2/13
On Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:20:52 PM UTC-8, doc wrote:
> Once upon a time, not too long ago, alt.fiction.original was a vibrant
>
> newsgroup full of wonderful and truly original stories by aspiring writers
>
> from around the world, a true global community. Stories were posted,

Yeah. I remember those days, when Konrath and I posted some. I was getting my fiction start back in the late 90s. As of 2013 I have 8 PI Mystery novels published, and also a 4 volume reference work on Mark Twain, purchased by many leading universities and libraries. I'm teaching composition and lit at the college level--just part time to leave me more time for writing and other pursuits. I used to post under the name Hank, or maybe DH Henry, but since 2001 use my own name, David H Fears. You can see my stuff on Amazon or Smashwords.

http://amzn.to/kQ6P0e

I'd be happy to help any one posting fiction here.

Wind River

Apr 15, 2013, 3:07:45 AM4/15/13
Hi Doc! Hi Bart! Hi Eve! Hi Shuggie! HI Jeff! Hi Hank!

Sue

Patrick

Apr 19, 2013, 9:56:05 PM4/19/13
Hi, Doc! Hi, Bart! Hi, Eve! Hi, Shuggie! Hi, Jeff! Hi, Hank! Hi, Sue!

(I just didn't want to be left out)

Wind River

Jun 22, 2013, 3:08:47 AM6/22/13
On Friday, April 19, 2013 7:56:05 PM UTC-6, Patrick wrote:
> Hi, Doc! Hi, Bart! Hi, Eve! Hi, Shuggie! Hi, Jeff! Hi, Hank! Hi, Sue!
>

> (I just didn't want to be left out)

Hi Patrick!

Barb

May 17, 2018, 8:10:05 AM5/17/18
On Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 9:20:52 PM UTC-7, doc wrote:

> AFO is open for business once more.
>
> Let the games begin!

I was so excited until I saw the date of this post. Is AFO open?

Barb

broncogi...@gmail.com

May 17, 2018, 8:20:36 AM5/17/18
On Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 9:20:52 PM UTC-7, doc wrote:
> AFO is open for business once more.
>
> Let the games begin!

So, just in case anybody pops in: I published my novel Piece of Mind and in the acknowledgements (God, how do you spell that word?) I targeted AFO and several friends and the fact that I wished it could be like the old days. Piece of Mind is available on Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.com and on Kindle. I miss you guys. I miss reading and critiquing and sharing. Love, Barb.

broncogi...@gmail.com

May 17, 2018, 8:30:10 AM5/17/18
On Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 9:20:52 PM UTC-7, doc wrote:

> AFO is open for business once more.
>
> Let the games begin!

Uh. . . I write under the name Barbara E. Henning. I've got two five-star reviews on Amazon ...

Barb