Carlee Russell found guilty in faked Hoover abduction: Judge recommends year in jail, $18,000 restitution

Leroy N. Soetoro

Oct 13, 2023, 6:34:55 PM10/13/23
https://www.al.com/news/2023/10/carlee-russell-found-guilty-in-faked-
hoover-abduction-judge-recommends-year-in-jail-18000-restitution.html

Carlee Russell, 26, was found guilty by a Hoover municipal judge on
Wednesday of faking her own abduction.

The ruling came after Russell pleaded not guilty to charges of false
reporting to law enforcement authorities and falsely reporting an
incident.

Despite her plea, Municipal Judge Brad Bishop found her guilty based on
the recommendation of state prosecutors.

Bishop recommended one year in jail and $17,874 in restitution. He also
recommended two fines of $831 each.

Russell, holding her hands behind her back, fidgeted nervously as she
entered her plea at about 2:14 p.m.

In municipal court, there is no jury trial. The constitution allows anyone
who faces jail time to have their case heard and decided by a jury of
their peers.

Bishop explained that often defendants will appeal his verdict to
Jefferson County Circuit Court to take the case to a jury trial.

Russell, represented by attorneys Emory Anthony and Richard Jaffe, is
appealing to the circuit court.

Anthony said following Wednesday’s hearing they are appealing the verdict
because state prosecutors want Russell to serve jail time.

“There’s no need of having a trial here, knowing their position,’’ Anthony
said. “We have stipulated and appealed the case and it will star anew in
the Bessemer Circuit Court.”

Anthony said Russell’s legal team completely disagrees with jail time for
a Class A misdemeanor, especially when it’s Russell’s first offense.

“If you can find where someone was put in jail for that, bring the file to
me and I’ll look at it,’’ he said. “Generally, they’re not put in jail.”

“Restitution, we don’t disagree with that, but to lock her up and put her
in jail, we disagree,’’ he said.

Russell was clearly nervous in court on Wednesday as she stood before the
judge.

“Nervous is anyone that goes before a judge,’’ Anthony said. “I think she
understands what has happened. She has apologized.”

“I don’t want her to have a break down,’’ he said. “So, we’re handling her
with kid gloves and making sure her mental state is just fine.”

Asked why she did it, Anthony said that’s something that will eventually
come to light.

“We’re dealing with issues with Carlee, and we want the best for Carlee,’’
Anthony said. “We realize a mistake was made but we don’t want to just
pile on right now.”

The lawyer said he believes the amount of restitution sounded fair, given
the resources expended during the search.

Anthony said he doesn’t know if more charges will be filed, but said the
defense was invited by the Attorney General’s Office to speak before a
grand jury. They declined.

Asked where she was during the 49 hours that she was missing, Anthony
said, “I think you’ll have to ask the AG’s office.”

“The AG’s office I don’t think it being...compassionate,’' he said. “They
know the young lady was not off on a whim. They knew the young lady was
not off with some young man. So they know that.”

Read full coverage of the case here

Russell seemingly vanished Thursday, July 13, after calling 911, and a
family member, to report seeing a child, about 3 or 4 years old only
wearing a diaper, walking alone on I-459.

The family member reported hearing a scream, and then only interstate
noise through the open cell phone line.

Russell’s disappearance sparked a massive search and widespread concern.

Two days later, Russell showed up alone at her parents Hoover home. She
was taken to UAB Hospital for evaluation.

While at UAB Hospital, Russell told Hoover police she escaped the clutches
of a man and woman who abducted her.

Authorities determined Russell left her job at Woodhouse Day Spa – from
which she has since been fired – after taking a robe, toilet paper and a
small amount of cash.

She ordered food from Taziki’s at The Colonnade. Carlee then traveled to
Target on U.S. 280 where she bought some granola bars, Cheez-its, and a
drink.

She remained in the parking lot there until 9:21 P.M., then drove to I-
459.

Russell called 911 at 9:34 p.m. She then called her brother’s girlfriend,
and about 9:36 p.m. went missing.

No one else ever reported seeing a toddler there.

Russell traveled approximately 600 yards while on the phone with 911.

Police found Russell’s wig, cell phone and purse near her vehicle. Her
Apple Watch was in her purse.

The food from Taziki’s was in her car. Items from Target, as well as the
items taken from the spa, were not at the scene.

In her interview after her return – the only interview she has given to
police - Russell told officers she was abducted.

“She told detectives that while traveling down the interstate, she saw a
baby walking down the side of the road and called 911. When she got out of
her vehicle to check on the child, a man came out of the trees,” Derzis
previously said.

“That man then picked her up and she screamed. He then made her go over a
fence. He then forced her into a car and the next thing she remembers is
being in the trailer of an 18-wheeler. She stated that the male was with a
female, however she never saw the female, only hearing her voice. She also
told detectives she could hear a baby crying,” he said.

“She told detectives the male had orange hair with a big bald spot on the
back. She was able to escape the 18-wheeler and fled on foot, only to be
captured again and put into a car,” Derzis said.

“She said that they took her into a house and made her get undressed. She
believes they took pictures of her, but she does not remember them having
any physical or sexual contact with her. She stated that the next day, she
woke up and was fed cheese crackers by the female,” according to Derzis.

“She stated the woman also played with her hair, but she could not
remember anything else.

“She was put back in a vehicle that she claims was able to escape from
while it was west Hoover area. She told detectives that she ran through
lots of woods until she came out near her residence,” the chief said.

“Detectives noted that Carlee had a small injury to her lip, and she
complained of her head hurting. She also had a tear in her shirt.
Detectives also noted that she had $107 in cash in her right sock.”

Police announced the charges against her two weeks after the staged
disappearance, which Russell admitted was fabricated in a statement
released through her lawyer.

“As we all know, actions can have consequences and that’s why we are here
today,” Derzis said when announcing the charges.

“Her decisions that night created panic and alarm for the citizens of our
city,,’’ he said, “and even across the nation as concern grew that a
kidnapper was on the loose, using a small child as bait.”

“Numerous law enforcement agencies, both local and federal, began working
tirelessly not only to bring Carlee home to her family, but locate a
kidnapper that we now know never existed,’’ Derzis said. “Many private
citizens volunteered their time and energy into looking for a potential
kidnapping victim that we now know was never in any danger.”

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.