More Magazine--and what magazines do you read?

head...@coming.uprosesnet

Mar 25, 2001, 9:16:27 AM3/25/01
I finally subscribed, after buying it on the newstand now and then for
the past few years. Great lifestyle magazine for over-40 women--doesn't
have all that condescending haus frau stuff you see in other "women's
magazines" e.g., Ladies Home Journal, Women's Day, Redbook, etc. And it
has real-life fashion/beauty articles that I can identify with.

Plus, all the models they use in their articles are over 40. I love
seeing great-looking women in their forties; I just can't identify with
the styles of the teen models in magazines like Vogue (although I do
enjoy reading Vogue, it never makes me want to buy any of the clothes I
see in the editorial pages).

Other magazines I read regularly are Men's Health (bought this
subscription as a gift for my husband just so I can read it :-)) and
Health, which is my favorite health/fitness magazine for women. It
focuses on having a healthy living habits rather than having the world's
hottest shape.

I also just subscribed to Cooking Light after reading a wonderful issue
of it at my family reunion last year, but I'm very disappointed in the
recipes. I'm vegetarian, and I thought they would at least give some
"how to make this recipe vegetarian" tips for some of their recipes.
Instead, they isolate their vegetarian recipes into one little (dull)
section.

That's it, except for my mom's magazines (People, Yankee, First, Women's
Day) that I read occasionally.

Kevina

Mar 25, 2001, 10:23:11 AM3/25/01
I read Vanity Fair, Talk, Oprah's, Vogue, Psychology Today, More...

Kevina

ahmward

Mar 25, 2001, 10:39:55 AM3/25/01
I subscribe to Vogue, Allure, W, Sunset, Ladies Home Journal and Mode.
My daughters get YM, Seventeen and Marie Claire. I love to read In
Style but save it as a treat to purchase from the store.
audrey

ronda

Mar 25, 2001, 11:33:39 AM3/25/01
i like more, oprah, instyle, health, and self.

ronda

Darkchild

Mar 25, 2001, 12:04:30 PM3/25/01

I prefer to pick up mags at the store so I only subscribe to Toronto
Life and Fashion magazine. (BTW has anyone received the Restaurant guide
issue in the mail yet? It's been out on stands for two weeks now)

I regularly read Self, Shape, Marie Claire, In Style, Business 2.0, Fast
Company, The New Yorker, Saturday Night, and sometimes Vogue and Allure.

Edlynne

sk wilson

Mar 25, 2001, 12:48:19 PM3/25/01
I read MORE, Marie Claire (often tossed after a quick perusal), Allure,
and dumped W, Vogue, LHJ and such. Do like Self and a couple others. I
used to read Talk, Vanity Fair and Premiere.. but I let 2 of the 3 go since
it was sort of overkill
;-)
Stevie

<head...@coming.uprosesnet> wrote in message

AJ

Mar 25, 2001, 1:32:03 PM3/25/01
Allure, InStyle, Marie Clare, Atlantic Monthly, Granta.

--AJ

Raizelah

Mar 25, 2001, 2:29:11 PM3/25/01

>Plus, all the models they use in their articles are over 40. I love
>seeing great-looking women in their forties; I just can't identify with
>the styles of the teen models in magazines like Vogue

I completely agree with you!! I cannot relate to teenybopper mags anymore (I'm
45), and I feel that Vogue is totally unrealistic and a little bit ridiculous,
because it takes it's "trend-setter" attitude soooo seriously! I also enjoy
Self, In-Style, and Redbook...

Brin-Marie McLaughlin

Mar 25, 2001, 2:38:58 PM3/25/01
Allure
Glamour (But I'm letting the sub run out)
Reader's Digest (gift sub from my grandmother which makes it priceless to me)
Smithsonian
Rolling Stone

Occasionally

Marie Claire (thinking of subscribing)
In Style

And of course

TV Guide (which almost everybody forgets is a magazine!)

----
Brin-Marie McLaughlin * Merry Meet from San Francisco!
Raconteur * Fan * Talk Show Junkie * Alt.Fashion Addict
http://members.aol.com/brininsf/index.html
----
To e-mail me, make the 'World' go away.
----

Ados1031

Mar 25, 2001, 2:53:23 PM3/25/01
>More Magazine--and what magazines do you read?

More, very refreshing mag, W, Bazaar, Vogue, might as well be the same
magazine, Allure at a glance, Worth, Time, Shape, Esquire and Sports
Illustrated. StephZ

AW Thorn

Mar 25, 2001, 4:17:08 PM3/25/01
I subscribe to: Vouge, W, Lucky, Allure, Times, The New Yorker, and some
various fiancial journals.

I buy on the newstand occassionally: InStyle, Cooking Light.

--

"Take all the fools out of this world and there wouldn't be any fun living
in it, or profit." ~Josh Billings

head...@coming.uprosesnet wrote in message
<3ABDFD...@coming.uprosesnet>...
:I finally subscribed, after buying it on the newstand now and then for

Gokomizu

Mar 25, 2001, 5:16:40 PM3/25/01
Lucky
Platinum
Honey
InStyle
Marie Claire (I'm not renewing though, it's just annoying as of late)
gokomizu

Mary in VA

Mar 25, 2001, 5:56:22 PM3/25/01
I subscribe to WAY too many magazines, so I'm actually dropping some of
them gradually.

Keeping: Vanity Fair, Allure, In Style, Lucky, Bitch (feminist quarterly)

Dropping: Vogue, Premiere, Movieline, EW

On the fence: Mode. This thing has gone so far downhill in the last year I
seriously think I will drop it at renewal time. What a shame. I was
debating on Allure too, but I decided to keep it for now.

At the store, I occasionally pick up Wine X, Wine Spectator, Bizarre, and
People. (I'm a sucker for People in airports!)

--
Scary Mary === "My karma ran over my dogma."
http://pws.prserv.net/scarymary

DMckin4975

Mar 25, 2001, 8:03:52 PM3/25/01
I love More and I'm a few years from 40! Also read Marie Claire, Shape, Fit,
Fitness, Self, In Style, Allure, Sunset, Talk, Vanity Fair, Business 2.0,
Working Woman. Not all of them every month!

BlueReve

Mar 25, 2001, 9:24:12 PM3/25/01
I subscribe to InStyle, Marie Claire, Allure, Lucky, Self, Shape, Fitness,
Vanity Fair and Budget Travel.

As if that weren't enough, I occasionally purchase Glamour or Cosmo--only when
I'm in a trashy mood, though. :)

Wendy

"Never be the first to believe.
Never be the last to deceive."
--Chess

To send me email, take away my genius!

maidm

Mar 25, 2001, 9:28:52 PM3/25/01
Mary in VA wrote on 3/25/01 2:56 PM:

> At the store, I occasionally pick up Wine X, Wine Spectator, Bizarre, and
> People. (I'm a sucker for People in airports!)

Bizarre is such a cool magazine! I've been trying to get my best friend to
get me a subscription as a present for years, let's just say he's a worse
slacker than I am.

I subscribe to:
Time, Premiere, Movieline, Atlantic Monthly(was Civilization), Wine
Spectator, Savour, MacAddict, Jane, National Geographic, and that magazine
that comes with AAA membership.

Buy at the newsstand:
InStyle and Allure, Cook's Illustrated, occasionally Town & Country.

I-Wei

R202

Mar 26, 2001, 12:03:18 AM3/26/01
Besides my business/trade journals I subscribe to:

elle(not renewing)
mode
vogue
in style
allure

At the Hairdresser/Nail Place I read
vanity fair
cosmopolitan
Before I get on a plane I usually buy
UK Tattler
Harpers& Queen
as you can see I have a real magazine addiction!

rosie in la

Maurey Lancaster

Mar 26, 2001, 12:59:21 PM3/26/01
suscribe: UK Vogue, Marie Clare Health and Beauty

read:

UK Elle
Marie Clare
Time Out London
Bare
Eve
In Style (new UK version)
Top Sante
Zest

Maurey (remove "no junk" from my address to email me)
"Home is within me. I carry everyone and everything I am with me wherever I
go"

~Suheir Hammad, Palestinian/US poet

Bao Si

Mar 26, 2001, 8:01:41 PM3/26/01
I subscribe to the following:

Newsweek, The New Yorker, The New Republic, Vogue, Elle, Harper's Bazaar, Mode,
Self, Allure, Shape, Fitness, Marie Claire, Prevention, Oprah (just
subscribed), Real Simple, Health, Ladies Home Journal (not renewing), McCalls
(I wasn't going to renew; the fact that it will morph into "Rosie," as in Rosie
O'Donnell, whom I find irritating, just confirmed my decision), More (not
renewing)

I regularly buy some of the following:

Glamour, Mademoiselle, In Style, Martha Stewart Living, Redbook, Weight
Watchers, assorted health magazines, New York, NY Review of Books,(depending on
the stories mentioned on the cover), Washington Monthly, Ballet Review (used
to subscribe to the last two), and probably others that I've forgotten.

Believe it or not, I actually read other things (newspapers and books), and not
only magazines.

Emily

"Do it big, do it right, and do it with style." --Fred Astaire

(Please remove edit to reply by mail.)

Coppper928

Apr 1, 2001, 1:23:24 PM4/1/01
I'm 20 and I subscribe to:

Cosmo, Glamour, Marie Claire & Allure

-Helena

Caryperk39

Apr 1, 2001, 2:03:15 PM4/1/01
I just bought the new Rosie today.

WIll report later!

cary

Nicole

Apr 5, 2001, 4:26:53 PM4/5/01
-Cosmo (letting sub run out)
-Glamour (letting sub run out)
-Lucky
-In Style
-Vogue (letting sub run out)
-Allure
-Marie Claire
-Elle (letting sub run out)
-Coastal Living
also non fashion related, Disney mag and the E Ticket mag
I get too many magazines!

Nicole

Rose the Bud

Apr 6, 2001, 9:13:30 AM4/6/01

> also non fashion related, Disney mag and the E Ticket mag
> I get too many magazines!
>
> Nicole
Nicole,
What is the E Ticket mag, I know it must have something to do with
Disney, but it is available to anyone?

Rosie

--
take "thedog" out

Sandy

Apr 6, 2001, 2:43:55 PM4/6/01
On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:13:30 GMT, Rose the Bud
<ro...@thedogkidactivities.com> wrote:

>> also non fashion related, Disney mag and the E Ticket mag

Okay this spins off a random thread about what, I can't remember
but... I never met anyone who was in the DVC anywhere but AT Old Key
West resort (or Vero Beach) but I wondered if HERE I might find
SOMEONE... anyone? Has anyone ever taken in the sales promotion but
didn't buy? (my parents are technically the buyers, but someday it's
getting passed to me (if i'm good) ;-D)

sandy
asian light brown eyed warm Stila 'c' or 'd'
half-time resident of both SF and LA

Jess

Apr 6, 2001, 4:13:25 PM4/6/01
We took the tour (but decided not to buy for now... we may soon, since
we go several times a year.) What are your questions?

Jess

On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:43:55 -0700, Sandy <sandyl...@ucla.edu>

Sandy

Apr 6, 2001, 5:11:01 PM4/6/01
On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 20:13:25 GMT, jesd...@hotmail.com (Jess) wrote:

>We took the tour (but decided not to buy for now... we may soon, since
>we go several times a year.) What are your questions?

Ooops I guess I didn't really have a question did I? Arg, me waste
bandwidth! ;-) I'm a member, just wanted to know if any
alt.fashionites were also DVCers. :-D Now if only there was a
Sephora at the Downtown Disney... can't you see it being a GREAT
location for one? Someone said there was a Sephora at Disneyland? I
wish you could go to it without going into the PARK. Pretty sick o'
Disneyland (and even WDW) coz I've been there millions and millions of
times. When I go to WDW I don't even go to the parks anymore, maybe
just once in 2 weeks stay.

Disney makes clothes... they make lots of other things... now we
should get them to make Disney makeup! Cute compacts with Minnie, or
princess motifs on them... OOoOOOooOOOOO I would LOVE if they made
Tinkerbell themed stuff. That's mah character... would love to design
a PVC Tink costume and wear it to the Love Parade in Germany.

Caryperk39

Apr 6, 2001, 8:02:04 PM4/6/01
>Now if only there was a
>Sephora at the Downtown Disney... can't you see it being a GREAT
>location for one?

The Sephora at Disneyland is in Downtown Disney

.>Disney makes clothes... they make lots of other things... now we

>should get them to make Disney makeup! Cute compacts with Minnie, or
>princess motifs on them...

The huge Disney store in Downtown Disney, both in Orlando and Anaheim, carries
a small line of Disney character make-up including fingernail polish, fragrance
& little bits of make-up but it's geared for young girls - the thrill is in the
bottle - not the ingredients, I think!

cary

Trilby

Apr 7, 2001, 10:11:03 AM4/7/01
In article <2ubsctcvpq6inr6fp...@4ax.com>,
Sandy <sandyl...@ucla.edu> wrote:

>Disney makes clothes... they make lots of other things... now we
>should get them to make Disney makeup! Cute compacts with Minnie, or
>princess motifs on them... OOoOOOooOOOOO I would LOVE if they made
>Tinkerbell themed stuff. That's mah character... would love to design
>a PVC Tink costume and wear it to the Love Parade in Germany.

I saw some Minnie Mouse makeup at the Disney Store in Downtown Disney
on Monday ...

Priscilla
--
ps...@midway.uchicago.edu "Here comes the most beautiful woman in puppetland!"

Jrgnthm M. Gygvtfcrdz Jr.

Apr 8, 2001, 8:19:01 AM4/8/01
One might be astounded at the range of products that Disney makes. (I
especially like the stuff designed by Big Deal architect Michael Graves)

I also believe that Daisy gets short shrift vs. Minnie.

-Joe "The Voice of Reason" in SoFla

"The problem with bad taste is that it can lead to murder." -Stendhal

Rose the Bud

Apr 8, 2001, 11:23:12 AM4/8/01
Sandy wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 20:13:25 GMT, jesd...@hotmail.com (Jess) wrote:
>
> >We took the tour (but decided not to buy for now... we may soon, since
> >we go several times a year.) What are your questions?
>
> Ooops I guess I didn't really have a question did I? Arg, me waste
> bandwidth! ;-) I'm a member, just wanted to know if any
> alt.fashionites were also DVCers. :-D Now if only there was a
> Sephora at the Downtown Disney... can't you see it being a GREAT
> location for one? Someone said there was a Sephora at Disneyland? I
> wish you could go to it without going into the PARK. Pretty sick o'
> Disneyland (and even WDW) coz I've been there millions and millions of
> times. When I go to WDW I don't even go to the parks anymore, maybe
> just once in 2 weeks stay.

I'm a member, and I love Disney. Donald Duck is forever my guy.

Charlie Perrin

Apr 8, 2001, 3:00:32 PM4/8/01
On 08 Apr 2001 12:19:01 GMT, jmgar...@aol.complain (Jrgnthm M.
Gygvtfcrdz Jr.) wrote:

>One might be astounded at the range of products that Disney
>makes.

I have a pair of co-workers (husband and wife, but she kept her
name... we didn't know they were husband and wife for a while) who are
great Mouse Kingdom freaks. She in particular wears Mickey Mouse stuff
to work all the time.

Other products that come from Disney include millionaires (as in "Who
Wants To Be A ....?") and even Houston's Marvin Zindler ("the big big
big big S -- SLIME IN THE ICE MACHINE!!!!").

>(I especially like the stuff designed by Big Deal architect
>Michael Graves)

Not only do they have Mikey's stuff at the Mouse Kingdom, they have it
at the Bullseye Boutique.

Nicole

Apr 12, 2001, 4:10:00 PM4/12/01
The E Ticket mag is about the history of Disneyland and Walt Disney World. They
have a web site, it's www.the-e-ticket.com
HTH!

Nicole

jedbird

Apr 12, 2001, 4:38:09 PM4/12/01

subscribe:
Vogue, Allure (husband renwewed without asking but I would have said NO), Bazaar
(ditto). Other than fashion magazines, we get: Metropolis, Dwell, House &
Garden, nest, Fine Gardening, Bike, a bunch of floral industry magazines,
several doll collector magazines, husband's many DIY electronics magazines, and
Bird Talk (parrot magazine).

I like buying magazines in person, though. I will pick up every/nearly every
issue of: Threads, Marie Claire, Elle, InStyle, Cooks Illustrated, Bark (dog
magazine), Natural Home, Yoga Journal, McSweeney's, Hermenaut, Bust, Nerve,
Martha Stewart *and* the MS Wedding issues, and Surface. A few times a year, I
will pick up: ID, Burda (German sewing magazine with patterns in it), Harper's,
Granta, Interview...and anything new, odd, or full of pretty pictures that I can
tear out to make collages.

Jeanine
beginning to realize there are real, treatable reasons why my house is so
cluttered

Fmnjunkie

Apr 13, 2001, 8:06:35 AM4/13/01
>Subject: Re: More Magazine--and what magazines do you read?

I love More Magazine.
Also, read Lucky, InStyle (favorite besides More), Marie Claire, Allure.
Occasionally, Vogue and Bazarr and Self.
Glamour is off my list and so is Mademoiselle. I've read them since I was 14 -
many, many years ago and I've come to the realization that I've completely
outgrown them.
Andie

Go-Away Bird

Apr 13, 2001, 11:55:15 AM4/13/01
Maybe you didn't outgrow them: maybe they just bite these days. ;)

Glamour was the first magazine I ever subscribed to, but I finally dropped
it recently because it has gotten so bad. Mademoiselle, too (and maybe even
worse than Glamour). Waiting for my subscription to run out on that one, too.

Otherwise, I subscribe to: Allure, Self (to make me feel appropriately guilty
for my crappy eating habits), Marie Claire (my favorite!), Lucky, and most
recently Harper's Bazaar because they offered me a subscription for $8.
Also get New American Paintings. I occasionally pick up InStyle, Elle, or
various British fashion magazines, and fondle Bird Talk (love "Watch the
Birdie" on the back page!) and various sewing mags on the newstand but rarely
buy.

In article <20010413080635...@ng-fg1.aol.com>,

--
TURACO: any of about 18 species of African birds constituting the family
Musophagidae, placed with the cuckoos (order Cuculiformes) or separated

Rose the Bud

Apr 13, 2001, 6:30:27 PM4/13/01

> The E Ticket mag is about the history of Disneyland and Walt Disney World. They
> have a web site, it's www.the-e-ticket.com
> HTH!
>
> Nicole

Thank You!!

Fmnjunkie

Apr 14, 2001, 8:02:05 AM4/14/01
>Subject: Re: More Magazine--and what magazines do you read?

Just bought the new May "Instyle" - great cover and a great read as always.
~Andie~

EatWelBWel

Apr 15, 2001, 12:56:08 AM4/15/01
>I love More Magazine.
>Also, read Lucky, InStyle (favorite besides More), Marie Claire, Allure.
>Occasionally, Vogue and Bazarr and Self.
>Glamour is off my list and so is Mademoiselle. I've read them since I was 14
>-
>many, many years ago and I've come to the realization that I've completely
>outgrown them.
>Andie
>
>I'm with you, Andie, on the magazines you read and the ones that you've given
up.
I also will add Cosmo to the list of those I've outgrown (and of course
Seventeen---too long ago to count!)

I never miss Vogue however, but read Marie Claire only occasionally. Sometimes
it looks like a classier Cosmo to me.

Sandra in PA

Debbie Quan

Apr 15, 2001, 12:59:57 AM4/15/01
Occasionally, I read Cosmo, Vogue, Glamour, Mademoiselle, and Time or
Maclean's only because my workplace subscribes to it. I used to read YM,
Seventeen, and Reader's Digest.

Nicole <nicol...@aol.comnospam> wrote:
:>> also non fashion related, Disney mag and the E Ticket mag

: Nicole

A little hope for others, a little dream for you,
Along with care and kindness can make your wish come true.

Vampkel

Apr 15, 2001, 5:19:51 PM4/15/01
i subscribe to movieline and runners world. however a few weeks ago i ordered
from VS and because of that they now send me people and madomoselle. argggg i
have no time to read what i already do......
--kel