Conan the Barbarian: Marvel vs Howard

Duggy

Aug 22, 2011, 11:14:30 PM8/22/11

grinningdemon

Aug 23, 2011, 1:33:59 AM8/23/11

Comic-related lawsuits are very hip right now...maybe I should sue and
say I'm the rightful owner of Conan...or maybe Batman...no one seems
to be going after him at the moment.

Michael

Aug 23, 2011, 8:16:30 AM8/23/11
Duggy wrote:

> http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/22/stan-lee-media-inc-files-suit-against-conan-the-barbarian/

Are they just NOW filing suit? If so, way to wait around. Noone saw
the trailers at the theatre? The people in charge of the Robert E.
Howard Estate had nothing to say about this?

And they want ALL the money the movie makes? Well!

Michael

Anim8rFSK

Aug 23, 2011, 12:01:16 PM8/23/11
In article <wSM4q.53281$Z71....@newsfe21.iad>,
Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:

> Duggy wrote:
>
> > http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/22/stan-lee-media-inc-files-suit-against-

> > conan-the-barbarian/
>
> Are they just NOW filing suit? If so, way to wait around. Noone saw
> the trailers at the theatre? The people in charge of the Robert E.
> Howard Estate had nothing to say about this?
>
> And they want ALL the money the movie makes? Well!
>
> Michael

Hopefully the judge will order them all sent up from Argentina or
wherever they're hiding for summary execution.

--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

Lilith

Aug 23, 2011, 12:04:53 PM8/23/11
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 05:16:30 -0700, Michael <this...@for.rent>
wrote:

Of course they want all the proceeds. If they got just the profits
they'd have to actually pay in. From the looks of it Conan the
Rehashed will be a big loser.

--
Lilith

Duggy

Aug 23, 2011, 7:08:25 PM8/23/11
On Aug 23, 10:16 pm, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
> Duggy wrote:
> >http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/22/stan-lee-media-inc-files-suit-a...

> Are they just NOW filing suit?

Seems so.

> If so, way to wait around.  Noone saw
> the trailers at the theatre?

Fox waited until just before Watchmen's release to screw with it.

> The people in charge of the Robert E.
> Howard Estate had nothing to say about this?

Depends who owns the movie rights.

> And they want ALL the money the movie makes?  Well!

Probably a negotiating position.

===
= DUG.
===

Marcovaldo

Aug 24, 2011, 12:48:27 PM8/24/11
On Aug 22, 8:14 pm, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/22/stan-lee-media-inc-files-suit-a...

> Thoughts?
>
> ===
> = DUG.
> ===

It would make more sense if he were suing to keep his name OFF the
movie.

Anim8rFSK

Aug 25, 2011, 12:23:43 AM8/25/11
In article
<205efb63-cc62-418e...@z1g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Duggy <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 10:16 pm, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
> > Duggy wrote:
> > >http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/22/stan-lee-media-inc-files-suit-a...
>
> > Are they just NOW filing suit?
>
> Seems so.

Sure. If they'd mucked around with it earlier, they could at best have
the movie stopped (or scared the production into shutting down); there's
no money in that. They don't even want to THREATEN 'till it's released.
And once it's released, you don't want to wait either. Strike the day
money starts coming in and stake your claim. These people are vermin,
but they're clever vermin.

> > If so, way to wait around.  Noone saw
> > the trailers at the theatre?
>
> Fox waited until just before Watchmen's release to screw with it.
>
> > The people in charge of the Robert E.
> > Howard Estate had nothing to say about this?
>
> Depends who owns the movie rights.

Well, these guys claim they do. The problem is, they bought them with
worthless stock. There are loooooong WIKI entries on Stan Lee Media.
One entire entry just for the lawsuits. One thing I didn't know, and
warms my heart, is that the biggest crook at the center of it, Peter
Paul, actually got his sorry ass extradicted from Brazil and is in
prison for the next 10 years.

Marko Amnell

Aug 25, 2011, 12:55:33 AM8/25/11
On Aug 25, 7:23 am, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> In article
> <205efb63-cc62-418e-9abb-f0d6e9f07...@z1g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

>  Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > > Are they just NOW filing suit?
>
> > Seems so.
>
> Sure. If they'd mucked around with it earlier, they could at best have
> the movie stopped (or scared the production into shutting down); there's
> no money in that.  They don't even want to THREATEN 'till it's released.
> And once it's released, you don't want to wait either.  Strike the day
> money starts coming in and stake your claim.  These people are vermin,
> but they're clever vermin.
>

> > > If so, way to wait around. Noone saw
> > > the trailers at the theatre?
>
> > Fox waited until just before Watchmen's release to screw with it.
>
> > > The people in charge of the Robert E.
> > > Howard Estate had nothing to say about this?
>
> > Depends who owns the movie rights.
>
> Well, these guys claim they do.  The problem is, they bought them with
> worthless stock.  There are loooooong WIKI entries on Stan Lee Media.
> One entire entry just for the lawsuits.  One thing I didn't know, and
> warms my heart, is that the biggest crook at the center of it, Peter
> Paul, actually got his sorry ass extradicted from Brazil and is in
> prison for the next 10 years.

Yep, the same Peter Paul who was in the news
because of his conflicts with the Clintons. More here:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0709/After_4_years_Clintons_accuser_sentenced_to_10.html

Michael

Aug 25, 2011, 5:31:37 PM8/25/11
Marko Amnell wrote:

What about May?

Or is this the guy who created Mounds?

Michael

Duggy

Aug 26, 2011, 12:23:25 AM8/26/11
On Aug 25, 2:23 pm, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> > Depends who owns the movie rights.
> Well, these guys claim they do.

It's not unbelievable. Remember Warner and the Salkinds.

> The problem is, they bought them with
> worthless stock.

Probably.

===
= DUG.
===

Anim8rFSK

Aug 27, 2011, 9:22:09 PM8/27/11
In article
<ad7ba68d-678e-45ea...@z1g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Duggy <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2:23 pm, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> > > Depends who owns the movie rights.
> > Well, these guys claim they do.
>
> It's not unbelievable. Remember Warner and the Salkinds.

Yep. The problem is, at this point the stuff has all changed hands so
many times it's almost inevitable you'd end up with an honest buyer.
But I'd think somebody would declare Paul 'incredibly guilty' and void
every damn thing that happened downstream of him. Fruit of the
poisonous tree as they say on Law & Order.

Duggy

Aug 28, 2011, 8:19:09 AM8/28/11
On Aug 28, 11:22 am, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> In article
> <ad7ba68d-678e-45ea-a2dd-7359289b4...@z1g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

>  Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> > > Well, these guys claim they do.
> > It's not unbelievable.  Remember Warner and the Salkinds.
> Yep.  The problem is, at this point the stuff has all changed hands so
> many times it's almost inevitable you'd end up with an honest buyer.
> But I'd think somebody would declare Paul 'incredibly guilty' and void
> every damn thing that happened downstream of him.  Fruit of the
> poisonous tree as they say on Law & Order.

That thinking means Dez Skinn didn't get the rights to Marvelman and
voids everything after.

===
= DUG.
===

Robert Carnegie

Aug 30, 2011, 9:50:32 AM8/30/11

Okay, not in the know and not a lawyer, but Stan Lee Media is no
longer actually connected to Stan Lee apparently... and I'll be
somewhat surprised if perpetual rights to Conan as movie or other were
provided from whoever owned them, to another company. It's more
likely to have been a limited-time loan after which they'd lapse, and
SLM being bankrupt or.frozen or anything wouldn't stop that. Like, if
you die, the books you borrowed from the library still belong to the
library, and still are due back there - although I expect they'll be
sympathetic. They'll also want to know if you died of something that
people can catch from other people's library books, I expect. I
should stop confusing the example, I think.

According to <http://www.conan.com/ip.shtml>
"CONAN (R) and/or CONAN THE BARBARIAN (R) and related logos,
characters, names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks
of Conan Properties International LLC unless otherwise noted. All
Rights Reserved."

This is not about existing stories, particularly, but about the
trademark design and identity of Conan, when used in new stories -
which you can't rip off from the original owner.

Conan comics currently are published by Dark Horse Comics, including a
version of the latest movie story. Previously, indeed, they were
published by Marvel Comics for a long while. Presumably by permission
of "Conan Properties International" or some predecessor throughout, in
exchange for money.

Anim8rFSK

Aug 30, 2011, 9:04:09 PM8/30/11
In article
<d8e56317-4ee1-4380...@n11g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:

From what it says on Wiki, the people suing claim to have bought Conan
Properties lock stock and smoking barrel, not just rights to make a
movie.

Duggy

Aug 31, 2011, 1:34:48 AM8/31/11
On Aug 30, 11:50 pm, Robert Carnegie <rja.carne...@excite.com> wrote:
> Okay, not in the know and not a lawyer, but Stan Lee Media is no
> longer actually connected to Stan Lee apparently... and I'll be
> somewhat surprised if perpetual rights to Conan as movie or other were
> provided from whoever owned them, to another company.

I don't know. Look at EON's rights to the Bond films or the effort
that Warner had to go to to get Superman rights off the Salkinds.

Different times, different contracts.

===
= DUG.
===