Robert E. Howard was gay

Jason Demetrick

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
I've read in a number of places that the creator of Conan, Kull,
and others was gay and he killed himself because he couldn't deal with it
(or I should say society's reaction to it). I'm curious to know if there
are any veiled references to alternative sexuality in any of his
characters, and if any of it is positive? Discuss amongst yourselves. :}

Mike Gee

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
sorc...@opus.freenet.vancouver.bc.ca (Jason Demetrick) wrote:

Robert E Howard was depressed following the death of his mother, which
led to his suicide. I have not read anything to say he was gay. He was
a muscle builder but that doesn't make him gay, does it? Anyway what
if he was, he wrote great stories in his short life.

Loren S. Matott

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
Mike Gee (10043...@compuserve.com) wrote:
: sorc...@opus.freenet.vancouver.bc.ca (Jason Demetrick) wrote:

: As i understand it Robert E. Howard shot himself ala Kurt Cobain because
: of severe depression following the death of his dog and his mother. This
: explanation seems satisfactory enough but I also got the impression that
: he was quite alienated from the world, this comes out in several of his
: non-Conan stories. Is there a biography on Howard available.

nemesis...@gmail.com

May 10, 2020, 5:25:56 PM5/10/20

nemesis...@gmail.com

May 10, 2020, 5:28:31 PM5/10/20
Also he and lovecraft were known racists

Nick Pane

Sep 9, 2021, 5:10:07 PM9/9/21
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 4:28:31 PM UTC-5, nemesis...@gmail.com wrote:
> Also he and lovecraft were known racists
Oh no. The horror!