Re: 7 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Outbreak Would Fail (Quickly)

Duggy

Nov 3, 2010, 11:55:09 PM11/3/10
On Nov 3, 8:07 am, shawn <nanoflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:28:50 -0400, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >But one bite and the flies would turn into zombies, too.
> We don't know that to be true. It may be that only humans can turn
> into zombies. If that's so then it limits the spread of the infection.
> If other creatures including insects can turn into zombies then the
> world is doomed with no hope given how many insects there are.
> Especially given how many biting insects there are.

That's what proves that flies aren't true. Being holed up in a
building seems to work for a limited time in the films, if flies are
infected that would not work.

Other animals - especially mammals - varies from source to source.
So, a proof based on "other animals would attack zombies" doesn't
work.

> >That's not true.  Zombies rot really slow.
> I've never seen a movie/show that explains that but it does seem to be
> the case. Given that most of the zombies in the Walking Dead must have
> been zombies for at least a week or two you would expect them to be
> bloated and generally falling apart if their bodies were decaying like
> .. well, like dead things.

20 days is were they'd start falling apart.

Give or take...

> >>#5.They Can't Handle the Cold
> >Yeah but wait until spring!
> Zombie Thawing Party at Todd's house this spring!

Spring Bite! Spring Bite!

> It all depends on how it starts. If it's just one zombie and it can
> only spread through physical contact with the zombie then it shouldn't
> spread that quickly. That usually doesn't seem to be the case. It's
> always some sort of gas that keeps spreading if you burn the zombies
> or it's a virus that manages to spread before it starts turning people
> into zombies.

Well, the source is pretty rarely made clear.

> That's true, but eventually there's enough damage (through accidents
> or decay) that they can't even move. At that point there isn't much
> they can do unless you step on one.

And we've seen that (to the point of cliche) in films... the legless
torso zombie that grabs a passerby.

> Water is going to be a big problem though catch basins could help. In
> cities that get lots of rain it's possible to collect enough from the
> roof to keep a small group of people alive. Food is an issue no matter
> where you are but in a situation like the one on the Walking Dead it
> may be that the zombies won't bother with packaged human food. In that
> case there's plenty of dried food and canned goods. Getting it may be
> tough but if they can get to it then there may be enough to last years
> (as in the UK show "Survivors".)

Well, isn't that were the problems occur in the films? People are
safe in a building and then they have to risk a food run?

===
= DUG.
===