Sims 2 - Utena

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 20, 2008, 7:55:12 PM7/20/08
Hey, as said before, I followed up on my old Sims project and did
Utena chars in the Sims 2. Actually, I did these awhile ago, just
never did much with them. The Sims 2 has a university expansion pack,
so I figured--hey, let's send the kids to college! We can see how they
grow up, and cleverly, all I have to do is custom hair colors and no
custom clothes.

Anyway, this is somewhat hastily assembled, with no captions... but
many of the pictures speak for themselves.

http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=231652

Any requests/suggestions (I've need to get some new clothes for the
chars) are welcome, or if you wanna know how I configured their
personalities or whatever. This is largely for gits and shiggles as
they say.

And all I gotta say, it's pretty hilarious to open up the household
info page and have the first thing you see read "Touga Kiryuu--Love
Machine." ^_^

DQ

mi...@winternet.com

Jul 20, 2008, 10:07:10 PM7/20/08
sp...@deathquaker.org wrote:
<snip>

> http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=231652
>
> Any requests/suggestions (I've need to get some new clothes for the
> chars) are welcome, or if you wanna know how I configured their
> personalities or whatever. This is largely for gits and shiggles as
> they say.
>
> And all I gotta say, it's pretty hilarious to open up the household
> info page and have the first thing you see read "Touga Kiryuu--Love
> Machine." ^_^

Even without captions, this is wonderful! Thanks so much for uploading
this.

I'm guessing that the brunette girl with the ponytail is Wakaba? She
seems to be hanging around with Utena and Anthy. It's great seeing
Anthy in her greenhouse (even if those aren't roses) and she's got a
ChuChu? What exactly is ChuChu in this version? A hamster or guinea pig?

The only one whose character design seemed "off" for me was Nanami. But
this has nothing to do with your creations. It has to do entirely with
the fact that in The Sims the characters of a single gender and age
group are all the same height. I have it so fixed in my head that
Nanami is going to be short and petite, even as an adult, that anything
else makes me look twice and go "huh?" This was true in my Utena Sims
(first game) too.

Laurie
-- Saionji's Prince and Keeper
mi...@winternet.com
http://www.winternet.com/~milo

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 21, 2008, 3:17:42 PM7/21/08
On Jul 20, 10:07 pm, m...@winternet.com wrote:
> s...@deathquaker.org wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=231652

<snip>

> Even without captions, this is wonderful!  Thanks so much for uploading
> this.

Thanks! Glad you like!

> I'm guessing that the brunette girl with the ponytail is Wakaba?

Yes. She seems least like herself, somehow, despite needing no custom
colors. Maybe that's the problem... If I could get a bow into her
hair...

>  She seems to be hanging around with Utena and Anthy.

She is Utena's "BFF" which is cute. She lives with the rest of the
Seitokai, though (I moved her in after the rest, so you don't see her
with everyone else in the first shot).

She's friends w/ Shiori and the Kaoru twins as well, IIRC. Also maybe
Saionji--I haven't done a lot of intentional interactions in that
household (it's hard managing an 8 person household) so most of the
relationships formed are the Sims doing their own thing.

> It's great seeing
> Anthy in her greenhouse (even if those aren't roses) and she's got a
> ChuChu?  What exactly is ChuChu in this version?  A hamster or guinea pig?

It's a womrat, which is a unique Sims creature, but yes, basically
fulfilling the hamster/guinea pig role.

> The only one whose character design seemed "off" for me was Nanami.  But
> this has nothing to do with your creations.

I think she'd look better if the back of her hair were wider too, but
the hair that has the "braid crown" look falls in a narrow way.

I should also get her a better shirt that suits her (but I like the
hideous yellow jockey pants for her).

> It has to do entirely with
> the fact that in The Sims the characters of a single gender and age
> group are all the same height.  I have it so fixed in my head that
> Nanami is going to be short and petite, even as an adult, that anything
> else makes me look twice and go "huh?"  This was true in my Utena Sims
> (first game) too.

There is a "Stretch Skeleton" cheat you can turn on to alter sizes a
bit, but it just increases/decreases length IIRC, without
proportionally increasing their body width, etc. so you have to be
careful using it or it will make people look a little odd. It can also
crash your game if you overuse it, and I haven't used that many
cheats. If I were to redo it, though...

I think one of the big innovations that's supposed to come in the Sims
3 is much better variation in Sim body shapes, both in height as well
as girth. You can create a giant obese man or a tiny pixy like girl or
anything in between.

Shame Sims 3 is probably also going to have the invasive DRM software
on there. I'm not really inclined to purchase EA's products when they
produce games that make it harder for legitimate users to run (while
pirates still have no problem cracking the code and distributing the
game). If you're gonna punish me for paying money for your game, I'm
going to stop paying.

DQ

mi...@winternet.com

Sep 14, 2008, 9:03:00 PM9/14/08
sp...@deathquaker.org wrote:
> On Jul 20, 10:07 pm, m...@winternet.com wrote:
>> s...@deathquaker.org wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=231652
> <snip>
>> Even without captions, this is wonderful! Thanks so much for uploading
>> this.
>
> Thanks! Glad you like!

So! I finally loaded up Sims 2. Got Double Deluxe, which includes the
Nightlife expansion pack and the Celebration stuff pack. I've also been
downloading like a fiend from Mod the Sims 2
(http://www.modthesims2.com/) and LianaSims2
(http://www.lianasims2.net/index.php) and a few sites which those two
point to.

First I ran a set of my original characters (roommates, two men and one
woman) as a household in Pleasantville (neighborhood comes with the
game, where you have normal, contemporary drama). Left aging on, let
them run to be elders, and then figured I'd learned enough. We'll see
if I go back to play them any further.

Then I figured as I'd snagged a bunch of custom content, I could start
an approximation of the Utena crew, especially since hair and clothes
can be changed easily even after the characters are in play. I'd found
a great long, layered, pink haircut for Utena, some long, really *red*
hair for Touga, and even an approximation of Akio's ponytail (although
pale blond rather than lavender). Found some longish wavy hair for
Saionji, although it's dark brown now. We'll see if I can get a
convincing green when I'm ready to try re-coloring.

So far, set up the Ohtori household with Akio, Anthy and Utena. The
Kiryuu household has Touga, Nanami and Kyouichi. I'd had enough of
Pleasantville, so sent these two families to Strangetown (another stock
neighborhood, apparently built in Area 51).

One of Akio's first daily wants? To "woohoo". Of course. Touga and
Utena meet, she ignores him and he starts mooning over her. Of course.
Anthy and Kyouichi meet and he immediately starts shoving her, yelling
at her and making her cry. He slaps one of the visiting non-player
neighbors. Anthy jumps him and they have a fist-fight right there in
the living room. Of course. I hate to think what would have happened
if Nanami had wandered by at the same time.

Now I must learn to control the still and video cameras and capture some
of this.

Oh yeah, I turned aging off this time--I'm not ready to see these
characters get old and die yet.