Happy Day & Naked Boys on Car to E!

sephigirl

Jul 12, 2008, 10:36:25 PM7/12/08
I believe it's Ms Liddell's day today? ??

If so, well, if even not so - Have a great day - sending naked boys to
pose on the car and give your muse a run for the money!

Touga: Boys? I'm plenty enough to satisfy anything she might need.
Akio, Saio, Mikage, Ruka: *cough cough bull sh-- cough cough*

Well, maybe Ruka shouldn't cough - he'll just scare us.

Ruka - I'm plenty healthy enough to do whatever is required of me,
thank you very much.

~Katherine, AFU no social director (see, you can tell I've been a
secretary in most of my jobs!)

Laurie G.

Jul 12, 2008, 11:00:26 PM7/12/08
sephigirl wrote:
> I believe it's Ms Liddell's day today? ??
>
> If so, well, if even not so - Have a great day - sending naked boys to
> pose on the car and give your muse a run for the money!
>
> Touga: Boys? I'm plenty enough to satisfy anything she might need.
> Akio, Saio, Mikage, Ruka: *cough cough bull sh-- cough cough*
>
> Well, maybe Ruka shouldn't cough - he'll just scare us.
>
> Ruka - I'm plenty healthy enough to do whatever is required of me,
> thank you very much.

Happy birthday! I hope it's been a great one for you.

*sends enough fudge and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for you and all
the boys*

Laurie
-- Saionji's Prince and Keeper
mi...@winternet.com
http://www.winternet.com/~milo

E. Liddell

Jul 13, 2008, 8:06:27 AM7/13/08
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:00:26 -0500, Laurie G. wrote:

> sephigirl wrote:
>> I believe it's Ms Liddell's day today? ??

You're two weeks late, actually, but I'll accept the sentiment
as intended. ;)

>> If so, well, if even not so - Have a great day - sending naked boys to
>> pose on the car and give your muse a run for the money!
>>
>> Touga: Boys? I'm plenty enough to satisfy anything she might need.

Ano . . . Touga? Even you make better yaoi-ish eye candy when posing
with another male. ;P

>> Akio, Saio, Mikage, Ruka: *cough cough bull sh-- cough cough*

<Amused> Those I don't need immediately can take turns posing until I
tire out the preceding ones. ;D

>> Well, maybe Ruka shouldn't cough - he'll just scare us.
>>
>> Ruka - I'm plenty healthy enough to do whatever is required of me,
>> thank you very much.

<Snicker> So long as it isn't contagious.

> Happy birthday! I hope it's been a great one for you.
>
> *sends enough fudge and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for you and all
> the boys*

Mmm . . . Fudge. <With mouth full> N'one ev'r gives m' 'nuff fudge.

E. Liddell, and her chapter-and-a-half of potential novel.

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 14, 2008, 9:04:00 AM7/14/08
On Jul 13, 8:06 am, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam>
wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:00:26 -0500, Laurie G. wrote:
> > sephigirl wrote:

>> Ruka - I'm plenty healthy enough to do whatever is required of me,
>> thank you very much.
> <Snicker>  So long as it isn't contagious.

Shiori refuses to confirm or deny that fact, but assures that
"whatever it is, I don't have it now. That is, if I ever did."

> > Happy birthday!  I hope it's been a great one for you.
>
> > *sends enough fudge and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for you and all
> > the boys*
>
> Mmm . . .  Fudge.  <With mouth full>  N'one ev'r gives m' 'nuff fudge.

In that case. *gives her more, decorated with bishounen*

Incidentally, I just learned how to make fudge last Christmas. Easy
(the recipe I used, anyway), though messy. And there is never enough.
*nods nods*

> E. Liddell, and her chapter-and-a-half of potential novel.

Oooh! Yay for writing.

DQ
(and Shiori, who is currently beating DQ over the head)

E. Liddell

Jul 14, 2008, 10:09:21 AM7/14/08
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:04:00 -0700, spam wrote:

> On Jul 13, 8:06 am, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:00:26 -0500, Laurie G. wrote:
>> > sephigirl wrote:
>
>>> Ruka - I'm plenty healthy enough to do whatever is required of me,
>>> thank you very much.
>> <Snicker>  So long as it isn't contagious.
>
> Shiori refuses to confirm or deny that fact, but assures that "whatever
> it is, I don't have it now. That is, if I ever did."

Uh-huh. <Backs slowly away from Ruka>

>> > Happy birthday!  I hope it's been a great one for you.
>>
>> > *sends enough fudge and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for you and
>> > all the boys*
>>
>> Mmm . . .  Fudge.  <With mouth full>  N'one ev'r gives m' 'nuff fudge.
>
> In that case. *gives her more, decorated with bishounen*

<Mouth even fuller> Th'n'ks.

> Incidentally, I just learned how to make fudge last Christmas. Easy (the
> recipe I used, anyway), though messy. And there is never enough. *nods
> nods*

<Sigh> The stuff's just about solid sugar, though, isn't it? Bad enough
that I make and consume quantities of home-made ice cream at irregular
intervals--I hate to think what regular access to fudge would do to me.

>> E. Liddell, and her chapter-and-a-half of potential novel.
>
> Oooh! Yay for writing.

It would help if I ever got anywhere with it. Fan fiction I seem to be
able to finish, but my original work always peters out (unless it's short,
bizarre yaoi erotica).

> DQ
> (and Shiori, who is currently beating DQ over the head)

<Grabs Shiori's wrist> That's enough--no need to give poor DQ a brain
injury.

E. Liddell, who didn't manage to write anything this morning, alas.

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 15, 2008, 10:50:32 AM7/15/08
On Jul 14, 10:09 am, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam>

wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:04:00 -0700, spam wrote:
>
> >> Mmm . . .  Fudge.  <With mouth full>  N'one ev'r gives m' 'nuff fudge.
>
> > In that case. *gives her more, decorated with bishounen*
>
> <Mouth even fuller>  Th'n'ks.

Full of fudge or full of bishounen? ~_^ ~_^ ~_^

*is evil*

> > Incidentally, I just learned how to make fudge last Christmas. Easy (the
> > recipe I used, anyway), though messy. And there is never enough. *nods
> > nods*
>
> <Sigh>  The stuff's just about solid sugar, though, isn't it?  Bad enough
> that I make and consume quantities of home-made ice cream at irregular
> intervals--I hate to think what regular access to fudge would do to me.

In a way, the solid sugar is the saving grace... sure it's lovely, but
you risk severe burns making it. :P (Hot sugar is *nasty*). So it
dissuades you from making it too often.

> >> E. Liddell, and her chapter-and-a-half of potential novel.
>
> > Oooh! Yay for writing.
>
> It would help if I ever got anywhere with it.  Fan fiction I seem to be
> able to finish, but my original work always peters out (unless it's short,
> bizarre yaoi erotica).

Hey, there's a place for that too. ^^

But I know exactly how you feel. I have a bunch of original ideas, but
I have a tendency to wrestle the plots into oblivion. I love my
characters, I just never know what to do with them.

The fan fic ideas have been coming on strong of late.

I did finally finish that R.O.D fic I was working on awhile ago. If
more of my beta readers would get back to me, that would be good.
*wonders if Milo is reading and if she would want to look at it again,
now that it's finished*

> > (and Shiori, who is currently beating DQ over the head)
>
> <Grabs Shiori's wrist>  That's enough--no need to give poor DQ a brain
> injury.

I'd need to have a brain to be injured first. ^^

DQ

E. Liddell

Jul 15, 2008, 3:36:46 PM7/15/08
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:50:32 -0700, spam wrote:

> On Jul 14, 10:09 am, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:04:00 -0700, spam wrote:

>> > In that case. *gives her more, decorated with bishounen*
>>
>> <Mouth even fuller>  Th'n'ks.
>
> Full of fudge or full of bishounen? ~_^ ~_^ ~_^
>
> *is evil*

Right now, just fudge. I'm saving the bishounen for when I don't have an
audience. ;)

>> > Incidentally, I just learned how to make fudge last Christmas. Easy
>> > (the recipe I used, anyway), though messy. And there is never enough.
>> > *nods nods*
>>
>> <Sigh>  The stuff's just about solid sugar, though, isn't it?  Bad
>> enough that I make and consume quantities of home-made ice cream at
>> irregular intervals--I hate to think what regular access to fudge would
>> do to me.
>
> In a way, the solid sugar is the saving grace... sure it's lovely, but
> you risk severe burns making it. :P (Hot sugar is *nasty*).

Yeah, I remember what happened with that one lot of hot fudge sauce (not
quite solid sugar, but still nasty enough).

>So it
> dissuades you from making it too often.

>> > Oooh! Yay for writing.
>>
>> It would help if I ever got anywhere with it.  Fan fiction I seem to be
>> able to finish, but my original work always peters out (unless it's
>> short, bizarre yaoi erotica).
>
> Hey, there's a place for that too. ^^

Which grows smaller as the work grows more bizarre. I wish I could figure
out why my Muse loves weird bondage scenarios so much. Is he trying to
tell me I'm repressed?

> But I know exactly how you feel. I have a bunch of original ideas, but I
> have a tendency to wrestle the plots into oblivion. I love my
> characters, I just never know what to do with them.

Well, this time I at least have some idea where the story is going, so I
might make it at least to the end of Part 1. I hope. (And the
protagonist probably hopes that I *won't* get that far, since I already
know that his wife's going to die, rather messily, at that point.)

I just wish I knew why *every single novel-length original plot* I come
up with seems to end up having demons in it somewhere. (Well, okay, more
like three-quarters of them, really, but . . .) The word "demon" doesn't
even end up meaning quite the same thing in any two of the worlds
involved, but it always seems to show up.

> The fan fic ideas have been coming on strong of late.

Good for you.

> I did finally finish that R.O.D fic I was working on awhile ago. If more
> of my beta readers would get back to me, that would be good. *wonders if
> Milo is reading and if she would want to look at it again, now that it's
> finished*

I finally finished watching ROD the TV a couple of months back. Pretty
good, although somehow not quite how I expected it to end.

(I'm currently in the middle of experimenting with the current season's
new anime offerings. Finally, another season of Slayers!)

>> > (and Shiori, who is currently beating DQ over the head)
>>
>> <Grabs Shiori's wrist>  That's enough--no need to give poor DQ a brain
>> injury.
>
> I'd need to have a brain to be injured first. ^^

Yeah, but you can't say things like that about other people . . .
<Grin, duck, run>

E. Liddell, who currently needs a third hand with which to pet the fluffy
neko while typing, because he nips me on the wrist when I stop. If he
keeps this up, I may carry out my threat to make an LOLcat out of that one
picture of him I have . . .

Laurie G.

Jul 15, 2008, 6:51:23 PM7/15/08
E. Liddell wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:50:32 -0700, spam wrote:

>>> <Mouth even fuller> Th'n'ks.
>> Full of fudge or full of bishounen? ~_^ ~_^ ~_^
>>
>> *is evil*
>
> Right now, just fudge. I'm saving the bishounen for when I don't have an
> audience. ;)

Meanwhile, the bishounen are drooling at the fudge.

>>> <Sigh> The stuff's just about solid sugar, though, isn't it? Bad
>>> enough that I make and consume quantities of home-made ice cream at
>>> irregular intervals--I hate to think what regular access to fudge would
>>> do to me.
>> In a way, the solid sugar is the saving grace... sure it's lovely, but
>> you risk severe burns making it. :P (Hot sugar is *nasty*).
>
> Yeah, I remember what happened with that one lot of hot fudge sauce (not
> quite solid sugar, but still nasty enough).
>
>> So it
>> dissuades you from making it too often.

Wow. My recipe involves chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk.
It's never been as hazardous as what you're describing.

>>> It would help if I ever got anywhere with it. Fan fiction I seem to be
>>> able to finish, but my original work always peters out (unless it's
>>> short, bizarre yaoi erotica).
>> Hey, there's a place for that too. ^^
>
> Which grows smaller as the work grows more bizarre. I wish I could figure
> out why my Muse loves weird bondage scenarios so much. Is he trying to
> tell me I'm repressed?

Maybe it's nothing about you but entirely about him.

>> But I know exactly how you feel. I have a bunch of original ideas, but I
>> have a tendency to wrestle the plots into oblivion. I love my
>> characters, I just never know what to do with them.
>
> Well, this time I at least have some idea where the story is going, so I
> might make it at least to the end of Part 1. I hope. (And the
> protagonist probably hopes that I *won't* get that far, since I already
> know that his wife's going to die, rather messily, at that point.)
>
> I just wish I knew why *every single novel-length original plot* I come
> up with seems to end up having demons in it somewhere. (Well, okay, more
> like three-quarters of them, really, but . . .) The word "demon" doesn't
> even end up meaning quite the same thing in any two of the worlds
> involved, but it always seems to show up.
>
>> The fan fic ideas have been coming on strong of late.
>
> Good for you.

I have been finding energy and interest for working on my fanfics from a
very unexpected direction. I just got a new machine, which has Vista,
Office 2007 and a different directory structure than the old machine.
The directory difference is purely a quirk of my own, not the fault of
the PC. Which ends up meaning I've been having to open up every one of
my unfinished pieces and make sure they're structurally sound. After
which I begin re-reading them. After which, I begin working on them.
This is just accelerating since I finished the last novels being read
and took them back to the library.

>> I did finally finish that R.O.D fic I was working on awhile ago. If more
>> of my beta readers would get back to me, that would be good. *wonders if
>> Milo is reading and if she would want to look at it again, now that it's
>> finished*

*jumps waves* I'm here! And I'd love to beta read again. It's great to
hear that you finished it. I hope I can follow your example now.

> I finally finished watching ROD the TV a couple of months back. Pretty
> good, although somehow not quite how I expected it to end.
>
> (I'm currently in the middle of experimenting with the current season's
> new anime offerings. Finally, another season of Slayers!)

>>> <Grabs Shiori's wrist> That's enough--no need to give poor DQ a brain
>>> injury.
>> I'd need to have a brain to be injured first. ^^
>
> Yeah, but you can't say things like that about other people . . .
> <Grin, duck, run>

*makes note for sake of future social interactions*

> E. Liddell, who currently needs a third hand with which to pet the fluffy
> neko while typing, because he nips me on the wrist when I stop. If he
> keeps this up, I may carry out my threat to make an LOLcat out of that one
> picture of him I have . . .

You should do it anyway. Then tell us where it's posted.

E. Liddell

Jul 15, 2008, 7:56:19 PM7/15/08
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:51:23 -0500, Laurie G. wrote:

> E. Liddell wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:50:32 -0700, spam wrote:

>>> Full of fudge or full of bishounen? ~_^ ~_^ ~_^
>>>
>>> *is evil*
>>
>> Right now, just fudge. I'm saving the bishounen for when I don't have
>> an audience. ;)
>
> Meanwhile, the bishounen are drooling at the fudge.

<Selects a few small morsels of fudge, places them on a plate, and shoves
plate toward the bishounen>

>>> Hey, there's a place for that too. ^^
>>
>> Which grows smaller as the work grows more bizarre. I wish I could
>> figure out why my Muse loves weird bondage scenarios so much. Is he
>> trying to tell me I'm repressed?
>
> Maybe it's nothing about you but entirely about him.

<Gives a certain other poster a Look> Katherine, stop tying my muse to
your bed--you're giving him weird ideas.

>>> But I know exactly how you feel. I have a bunch of original ideas, but
>>> I have a tendency to wrestle the plots into oblivion. I love my
>>> characters, I just never know what to do with them.
>>
>> Well, this time I at least have some idea where the story is going, so
>> I might make it at least to the end of Part 1. I hope. (And the
>> protagonist probably hopes that I *won't* get that far, since I already
>> know that his wife's going to die, rather messily, at that point.)
>>
>> I just wish I knew why *every single novel-length original plot* I come
>> up with seems to end up having demons in it somewhere. (Well, okay,
>> more like three-quarters of them, really, but . . .) The word "demon"
>> doesn't even end up meaning quite the same thing in any two of the
>> worlds involved, but it always seems to show up.
>>
>>> The fan fic ideas have been coming on strong of late.
>>
>> Good for you.
>
> I have been finding energy and interest for working on my fanfics from a
> very unexpected direction. I just got a new machine, which has Vista,
> Office 2007 and a different directory structure than the old machine.
> The directory difference is purely a quirk of my own, not the fault of
> the PC. Which ends up meaning I've been having to open up every one of
> my unfinished pieces and make sure they're structurally sound. After
> which I begin re-reading them. After which, I begin working on them.
> This is just accelerating since I finished the last novels being read
> and took them back to the library.

Best of luck with 'em.

I'm still writing on the same computer I had when I started writing
fanfic--in fact, that's about all the poor old thing does these days.
(I do miss the complex of email filters I had set up on it, though . . .
Unfortunately, hooking it up to the Internet by any means other than its
own modem is impractical--Windows 3.1, y'know.) And the directory
structure gets cloned forward when I back stuff up over the LAN. It's a
bit of a mess, really.

Of course, if I wanted to be really, er, dedicated, I could put
everything under source control . . . but then again, I don't use that as
much as I should even for computer code.

>>> I'd need to have a brain to be injured first. ^^
>>
>> Yeah, but you can't say things like that about other people . . .
>> <Grin, duck, run>
>
> *makes note for sake of future social interactions*

Note of what, precisely? ;P

>> E. Liddell, who currently needs a third hand with which to pet the
>> fluffy neko while typing, because he nips me on the wrist when I stop.
>> If he keeps this up, I may carry out my threat to make an LOLcat out of
>> that one picture of him I have . . .
>
> You should do it anyway. Then tell us where it's posted.

Truth be told, the only reason I haven't done so yet is that I can't be
bothered to dredge up the CD I stored the photo on.

E. Liddell, currently nekoless (and just as well--it's hot enough in here
that having something warm and furry in my lap would not be comfortable.
My elbows are sticking to my chair arms.)

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 16, 2008, 4:54:27 PM7/16/08
On Jul 15, 6:51 pm, "Laurie G." <m...@winternet.com> wrote:
> E. Liddell wrote:

<snip>

> >> In a way, the solid sugar is the saving grace... sure it's lovely, but
> >> you risk severe burns making it. :P (Hot sugar is *nasty*).
>
> > Yeah, I remember what happened with that one lot of hot fudge sauce (not
> > quite solid sugar, but still nasty enough).
>
> >> So it
> >> dissuades you from making it too often.
>
> Wow.  My recipe involves chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk.
> It's never been as hazardous as what you're describing.

The only thing really hazardous about it is that I am clumsy and have
a poor attention span, and will do stupid stuff like, "Ooh, I can lick
the spoon!" when licking the spoon right out of a pot of fudge is a
bad idea.

The recipe I use is on the back of a marshmallow fluff jar (I asked my
grandmother for her coveted recipe and turns out that's what it was)--
IIRC, chocolate chips, condensed milk, fluff, and sugar.

It's easy, but I'll still manage to spill the hot sweet stuff on me.

> >> Hey, there's a place for that too. ^^
>
> > Which grows smaller as the work grows more bizarre.  I wish I could figure
> > out why my Muse loves weird bondage scenarios so much.  Is he trying to
> > tell me I'm repressed?
>
> Maybe it's nothing about you but entirely about him.

My muse is Terpsichore, because the muses associated with writing and
poetry were too busy to bother with me. So I tend to want to get up
and boogie when I have an idea for a story.

> I have been finding energy and interest for working on my fanfics from a
> very unexpected direction.  I just got a new machine, which has Vista,
> Office 2007 and a different directory structure than the old machine.
> The directory difference is purely a quirk of my own, not the fault of
> the PC.  Which ends up meaning I've been having to open up every one of
> my unfinished pieces and make sure they're structurally sound.  After
> which I begin re-reading them.  After which, I begin working on them.
> This is just accelerating since I finished the last novels being read
> and took them back to the library.

I briefly found similar inspiration when I just wanted clean off my
hard drive of old stuff and was opening things to remember what they
were.

> >> I did finally finish that R.O.D fic I was working on awhile ago. If more
> >> of my beta readers would get back to me, that would be good. *wonders if
> >> Milo is reading and if she would want to look at it again, now that it's
> >> finished*
>
> *jumps waves* I'm here!  And I'd love to beta read again.  It's great to
> hear that you finished it.  I hope I can follow your example now.

Yay! Thanks!

A bunch of people at the livejournal read or die community volunteered
to beta but were antsy about giving me their email address, so I have
it handily uploaded at my Website for you to download at your leisure:

http://www.angelfire.com/id/deathquaker/rod/beta.html

> > I finally finished watching ROD the TV a couple of months back.  Pretty
> > good, although somehow not quite how I expected it to end.

I like the denouement, but the climax itself is too talky.

> > (I'm currently in the middle of experimenting with the current season's
> > new anime offerings.  Finally, another season of Slayers!)

Yes! I am excited about that. Of course, the old question rears its
head: will Amelia and Naga ever appear on screen at the same time? :)

DQ

mi...@winternet.com

Jul 16, 2008, 10:28:47 PM7/16/08
E. Liddell wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:51:23 -0500, Laurie G. wrote:
>
>> E. Liddell wrote:

>>> Right now, just fudge. I'm saving the bishounen for when I don't have
>>> an audience. ;)
>> Meanwhile, the bishounen are drooling at the fudge.
>
> <Selects a few small morsels of fudge, places them on a plate, and shoves
> plate toward the bishounen>

*Is careful not to step in between the bishounen and the plate of fudge.*

<snip>

Oooh, an antique!

> And the directory
> structure gets cloned forward when I back stuff up over the LAN. It's a
> bit of a mess, really.

My case is a direct result of the smaller hard drives in an earlier
machine. At that time, the physical hard drive was bigger than a
logical drive could be, and so it was partitioned into into three. In
the following system, the old hard drive was stuck in as a second
physical drive, and ended up with designations d:, e: and f:. Since e:
and f: had been my working data drives from the original system, they
remained such in the second system. Now with this system, I backed up
everything onto an external hard drive, and then loaded it onto the new
single, big hard drive. But of course the *drive* designations couldn't
remain so they became directories like "old-e-drive". And that's not
the file path recorded as my document components, so I had to rebuild
the documents. In the end, a small price to pay for maintaining my data
over all of these system upgrades.

> Of course, if I wanted to be really, er, dedicated, I could put
> everything under source control . . . but then again, I don't use that as
> much as I should even for computer code.

That is dedicated. Use of source control is a standard practice at work
of course, but I've never undertaken to install any at home. The coding
I do at home so far hasn't become big or complex enough that I can't
track my versions with directory copies.

>>> Yeah, but you can't say things like that about other people . . .
>>> <Grin, duck, run>
>> *makes note for sake of future social interactions*
>
> Note of what, precisely? ;P

The idea that I shouldn't say thing like that about other people. o\_/o

>>> E. Liddell, who currently needs a third hand with which to pet the
>>> fluffy neko while typing, because he nips me on the wrist when I stop.
>>> If he keeps this up, I may carry out my threat to make an LOLcat out of
>>> that one picture of him I have . . .
>> You should do it anyway. Then tell us where it's posted.
>
> Truth be told, the only reason I haven't done so yet is that I can't be
> bothered to dredge up the CD I stored the photo on.
>
> E. Liddell, currently nekoless (and just as well--it's hot enough in here
> that having something warm and furry in my lap would not be comfortable.
> My elbows are sticking to my chair arms.)

The hot, sticky weather has arrived in our area too, punctuated with
nasty thunderstorms. So I'm taking advantage of the delay of the latest
storm front to get some correspondence answered.

mi...@winternet.com

Jul 16, 2008, 10:55:17 PM7/16/08

Erm, yeah. Bad idea.

> The recipe I use is on the back of a marshmallow fluff jar (I asked my
> grandmother for her coveted recipe and turns out that's what it was)--
> IIRC, chocolate chips, condensed milk, fluff, and sugar.

This sounds like what my grandmother used to make. I got my current
recipe from my mom, who I think got it from a sweetened condensed milk
label.

> It's easy, but I'll still manage to spill the hot sweet stuff on me.

>>> Which grows smaller as the work grows more bizarre. I wish I could figure
>>> out why my Muse loves weird bondage scenarios so much. Is he trying to
>>> tell me I'm repressed?
>> Maybe it's nothing about you but entirely about him.
>
> My muse is Terpsichore, because the muses associated with writing and
> poetry were too busy to bother with me. So I tend to want to get up
> and boogie when I have an idea for a story.

It always annoyed me that there was never a Muse of painting. Maybe the
ancient Greeks considered painting as "craft", not as "art"? *fooey*

>> I have been finding energy and interest for working on my fanfics from a
>> very unexpected direction. I just got a new machine, which has Vista,
>> Office 2007 and a different directory structure than the old machine.
>> The directory difference is purely a quirk of my own, not the fault of
>> the PC. Which ends up meaning I've been having to open up every one of
>> my unfinished pieces and make sure they're structurally sound. After
>> which I begin re-reading them. After which, I begin working on them.
>> This is just accelerating since I finished the last novels being read
>> and took them back to the library.
>
> I briefly found similar inspiration when I just wanted clean off my
> hard drive of old stuff and was opening things to remember what they
> were.

Oh yeah. "What does *this* file name possibly mean?"

> A bunch of people at the livejournal read or die community volunteered
> to beta but were antsy about giving me their email address, so I have
> it handily uploaded at my Website for you to download at your leisure:
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/id/deathquaker/rod/beta.html

Got it! Thanks. We'll see what happens when I have something to send
back to you. This new machine has Office 2007, but I'm sure we can find
the compatible file format if you don't have Vista yet.

<snip>

>>> (I'm currently in the middle of experimenting with the current season's
>>> new anime offerings. Finally, another season of Slayers!)
>
> Yes! I am excited about that. Of course, the old question rears its
> head: will Amelia and Naga ever appear on screen at the same time? :)

I think these episodes have arrived at our house, but we've been
watching through "Kamichu" (a very cute story) and there's another disk
of "Bleach" to see. Then maybe new season "Slayers".

And before I forget: I think in an earlier post you mentioned that you
now had Utena characters for Sims 2? I really want to see the pics!
And any Sims 2 you've done for R.O.D. too. Do you find it more
difficult to create customized characters in Sims 2? I haven't gotten
the game yet, although now that I'm passing through my upgrade travails,
it may be time.

E. Liddell

Jul 17, 2008, 8:47:27 AM7/17/08

Yup, the very first computer I bought with my own money. 32MB RAM, 3GB
disk space (both upgraded several years after the initial purchase), 4x
CD-ROM, 486DX2-66, and, since the software is appropriate to the era in
which it was built, it actually still runs quite nicely.

(My old laptop has more RAM, more processor, and runs like a lead brick,
'cause it's a P-133 trying to run Win '98SE. It's now been superseded by
a nice modern laptop running Linux.)

>> And the directory
>> structure gets cloned forward when I back stuff up over the LAN. It's
>> a bit of a mess, really.
>
> My case is a direct result of the smaller hard drives in an earlier
> machine. At that time, the physical hard drive was bigger than a
> logical drive could be, and so it was partitioned into into three. In
> the following system, the old hard drive was stuck in as a second
> physical drive, and ended up with designations d:, e: and f:. Since e:
> and f: had been my working data drives from the original system, they
> remained such in the second system. Now with this system, I backed up
> everything onto an external hard drive, and then loaded it onto the new
> single, big hard drive. But of course the *drive* designations couldn't
> remain so they became directories like "old-e-drive".

<Laughs softly> This computer has major partitions named /mnt/edrive,
/mnt/gdrive, and /mnt/hdrive, left over from the days when I was still
using its multi-boot facilities, instead of keeping it in Linux all the
time. (F: was the CD-ROM, if you're wondering where it went.) The 486
still has its original 500MB drive in it somewhere, although it's no
longer used for anything but the occasional backup.

>And that's not
> the file path recorded as my document components, so I had to rebuild
> the documents. In the end, a small price to pay for maintaining my data
> over all of these system upgrades.

Ah, I see, you actually split your documents across multiple files
instead of bundling the entire document into one the way I always do when
I can. If you have no references leading to other files, they can't be
broken when you move stuff around. Unfortunately, my desktop publishing
software doesn't see it that way. Java source files are much easier to
deal with: I just stuff everything from a given project in the same
directory and let the compiler worry about the relationships. ;P

>> Of course, if I wanted to be really, er, dedicated, I could put
>> everything under source control . . . but then again, I don't use that
>> as much as I should even for computer code.
>
> That is dedicated. Use of source control is a standard practice at work
> of course, but I've never undertaken to install any at home. The coding
> I do at home so far hasn't become big or complex enough that I can't
> track my versions with directory copies.

I use it very occasionally when working on the slowly-moving Video Game
Project or on the rare occasion that someone actually pays me to write
code these days (although in the latter case, a "version" indicates "I
released this to them, better keep a copy in case I screw something up
while trying to make requested changes two years from now"). If I were
serious about it, I'd glue something together with SVN, a perl script,
and a cron job, instead of occasionally squirting things through
Superversion (which has nothing at all to do with SVN despite the name
similarity) when the fit takes me.

>>> *makes note for sake of future social interactions*
>>
>> Note of what, precisely? ;P
>
> The idea that I shouldn't say thing like that about other people. o\_/o

Heh. Much more of this, and people may get confused into thinking that
I'm polite, when I'm actually a bit of a social disaster.

E. Liddell, who didn't get nearly enough of anything constructive done
yesterday and is not expecting today to be any better. Oh, well, at
least I tacked another page onto the proto-novel.

E. Liddell

Jul 17, 2008, 9:06:38 AM7/17/08
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:55:17 -0500, milo wrote:

> sp...@deathquaker.org wrote:

> <snip>

>> Yes! I am excited about that. Of course, the old question rears its
>> head: will Amelia and Naga ever appear on screen at the same time? :)

After the way they teased us with the possibility in Premium and then
never delivered, I'm betting not (unless it's in a credit sequence).
Currently, I'm waiting to see how and when Xelloss will turn up (as of
Ep. 2, he hasn't shown yet, but is featured prominently in the credits).

> I think these episodes have arrived at our house, but we've been
> watching through "Kamichu" (a very cute story) and there's another disk
> of "Bleach" to see. Then maybe new season "Slayers".

>_<;;;;;;;;;

I guess I must do nothing but watch anime. Lessee, here, currently in
the process of watching:

Galaxy Railways II
Kyo Kara Maoh! Season 3
Persona Trinity Soul (almost done with that one)
Suteki Tantei Labyrinth
Allison to Lillia
Amatsuki
Crystal Blaze
Himitsu: the Revelation
Monochrome Factor
Nabari no Ou
Antique Bakery
Slayers Revolution
Birdy the Mighty Decode
Yakushi Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo
Black Jack TV
Captain Harlock TV (the classic 1978 series, not (yet) SSX)

. . . and that's not including either licensed materials (I'm on ep. 180
of Bleach) or stuff just beginning that I haven't started watching yet
(another four series on that list). Admittedly, some of them have higher
priority than others. *And* I'm waiting for more of Tenpo Ibun Ayakashi
Ayashi OAV and one or two others.

E. Liddell, not sure she should be admitting her fansub habit in public.

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 17, 2008, 10:41:20 AM7/17/08
On Jul 16, 10:55 pm, m...@winternet.com wrote:

> s...@deathquaker.org wrote:
> > <snip>

<snip>

> > My muse is Terpsichore, because the muses associated with writing and
> > poetry were too busy to bother with me. So I tend to want to get up
> > and boogie when I have an idea for a story.
>
> It always annoyed me that there was never a Muse of painting.  Maybe the
> ancient Greeks considered painting as "craft", not as "art"?  *fooey*

I think it's largely because the Muses are associated as a whole with
*poetic* art--even Terp while generally considered the muse of dance
also is associated with choral song. All of them have some association
with verbal/musical expression in some way (although Urania is a bit
of an outlier).

And they would all ultimately be associated with Apollo, god of music
and poetry.

The other fine arts, the more physical ones like sculpting, weaving,
etc. would be associated with Athena. (And the more practical crafts
with Hephaistos).

> > I briefly found similar inspiration when I just wanted clean off my
> > hard drive of old stuff and was opening things to remember what they
> > were.
>
> Oh yeah.  "What does *this* file name possibly mean?"

*lol* Exactly.

Or three almost similar ones, like "Anthy-Mikage Thing," "Anthy Mikage
Other Thing", "Anthy Mikage and the Kitchen Sink."

(And no, none of those are romances involving Anthy and Mikage. They
were just significant characters in the plot.)

> > A bunch of people at the livejournal read or die community volunteered
> > to beta but were antsy about giving me their email address, so I have
> > it handily uploaded at my Website for you to download at your leisure:
>
> >http://www.angelfire.com/id/deathquaker/rod/beta.html
>
> Got it!  Thanks.  We'll see what happens when I have something to send
> back to you.  This new machine has Office 2007, but I'm sure we can find
> the compatible file format if you don't have Vista yet.

Actually, there is a compatibility upgrade for Windows 2003, so I can
(theoretically) open Office 2007 files. Although if you can save it
as .doc rather than .docx that'd probably still be preferable.

> <snip>

> > Yes! I am excited about that. Of course, the old question rears its
> > head: will Amelia and Naga ever appear on screen at the same time? :)
>
> I think these episodes have arrived at our house

Wait, is the new Slayers series actually OUT? *runs to look*

> but we've been watching through "Kamichu" (a very cute story)

I *love* Kamichu, and I discovered it immediately after declaring to
myself, "I am NEVER, EVER watching ANOTHER anime about a junior high
school girl with special powers who can't tell the boy she likes she
likes him, blah blah blah."

But it's nicely original (it's made by the R.O.D people dontchaknow),
and perhaps I prefer the moe-moe/seinen style to shoujo (though
obviously, I love good shoujo--*nods at Utena*).

> And before I forget:  I think in an earlier post you mentioned that you
> now had Utena characters for Sims 2?  I really want to see the pics!

I will get some uploaded when I get a chance. Bug me if I don't post
in a few days.

> And any Sims 2 you've done for R.O.D. too.

This badly needs updating, but here's some (warning, there's a little
silly shoujo-ai nonsense within, although I will note that much of it
was on the autonomous part of my Sims. Mostly.):

http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=80302

I have some better pics and have tried working on some custom outfits.

> Do you find it more difficult to create customized characters in Sims 2?

Yes and no. The base game+expansions come with enough hair and
clothes, and the face creation system is very detailed, so you can
make a lot of detailed Sims even without making or downloading a lot
of custom stuff.

Making custom skins is harder, or rather more time-consuming, because
you have more files to deal with. Hair can be especially annoying
because there are multiple files to change and for every age group,
though if all you're doing is changing the color, you can go through
it relatively quickly. The offset is that you can obviously make more
detailed skins and patterns. You can also *mildly* change the shape of
some of the hair and clothes by editing the alpha pattern--nothing
major, but say if I wanted to make a haircut a little shorter, I can
alter a file so that the bottom of the hair doesn't show up (but I
can't, say, add bangs if they aren't already there--that requires mesh
editing).

Some things are harder to do than others. Recolors are as always easy;
altering patterns takes a lot of time--you can make something that you
think will look fantastic only to have it show up on the 3-D model
weird. You can do custom face makeup which is really easy--I made a
bindi for Anthy in about 5 minutes. Custom eye colors are fairly easy
too.

I know nothing about editing/making custom meshes, though I imagine
likewise it's similar--a few more files to edit, more details to add.
If I had time/patience to learn 3-D editing I'd go for it.

The games all come with a "body shop" that allows you to export any
Sims files you want to edit into a nice neat package you can open up
with a graphics editor, and allow you to preview your work--it's easy
to switch between your graphic editor and the body shop to see how
your changes look on a 3-D model. The only downside to the body shop
is it takes FOREVER to load--and my machine while by today's standards
is getting old, is well beyond what it takes to run Sims 2 products.
That said, once it loads it's fine--I think the idea is it loads
everything up front, so then once you're in the program the speed is
normal.

>I haven't gotten the game yet, although now that I'm passing through my upgrade travails,
> it may be time.

There are a few package deals out now--I think there's a couple
different deluxe versions that will give you the base game plus a few
expansion packs.

Warning--I realize you are far more computer savvy to worry about
this, but I feel the need to note: the later expansion packs (Bon
Voyage and Free Time) employ versions of the copy protection software
SecuROM which has been known to cause some various problems on PCs--
disabling CD burning software and the like (some folks have had
problems running the game for just having run-of-the-mill, came-with-
the-PC-when-I-bought-it CD creation software on their PCs). The
version that comes with FreeTime (that is updated with a patch to be
even more) is especially belligerent, though mostly ironed out with
patches at this point. It runs fine on my comp, but you should be
aware.

A good deal of the Sims-fan backlash towards SecuROM is WAY more
hysterical than is warranted, but it should be known, as many of the
problems had are legit. I have friends who computer pros who don't
want to deal with SecuROM and don't want it on their machines (I think
largely because of the rootkit factor).

The final expansion, Apartment Life is apparently coming with an even
more "protective" version that restricts numbers of installations and
the like.

That said, the first several expansions (University, Nightlife, Open
for Business, Pets, Seasons) use the less invasive SafeDisk and are
fantastic (I especially love Seasons). There are "stuff packs" too; I
think "Teen Style" was the first to have SecuROM on it.

On the other hand, Bon Voyage has a TON of Japanese stuff (wallpapers,
new roofs, kimonos, etc.), and Free Time's hobbies and hobby items are
a lot of fun, so it's something to weigh. The Sims2 site is opening up
a store where you can buy individual items from expansion and stuff
packs that you don't own; that might be a solution if you didn't want
the full expansions but wanted some of the stuff.

And all of this is more than you probably wanted to know, but there we
are.

DQ

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 17, 2008, 10:44:13 AM7/17/08
On Jul 17, 9:06 am, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam>
wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:55:17 -0500, milo wrote:
> > s...@deathquaker.org wrote:
> > <snip>

> >> Yes! I am excited about that. Of course, the old question rears its
> >> head: will Amelia and Naga ever appear on screen at the same time? :)
>
> After the way they teased us with the possibility in Premium and then
> never delivered, I'm betting not (unless it's in a credit sequence).

Well, Naga *was* in it. For about 10 seconds. But technically, they
delivered--we just didn't see her interacting with everyone like I
think most were hoping.

> Currently, I'm waiting to see how and when Xelloss will turn up (as of
> Ep. 2, he hasn't shown yet, but is featured prominently in the credits).

I'm sure...... that is a secret. ^_^

> I guess I must do nothing but watch anime.  Lessee, here, currently in
> the process of watching:

<snip impressive list>

I'm only just getting around to finishing Fullmetal Alchemist, but I
haven't watched a whole lot of new anime lately. I am about to get a
fresh and massive dose at Otakon in August, however. Video rooms, here
I come!!

DQ

E. Liddell

Jul 17, 2008, 2:13:13 PM7/17/08
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:44:13 -0700, spam wrote:

> On Jul 17, 9:06 am, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:
>> > <snip>

>> After the way they teased us with the possibility in Premium and then
>> never delivered, I'm betting not (unless it's in a credit sequence).
>
> Well, Naga *was* in it. For about 10 seconds. But technically, they
> delivered--we just didn't see her interacting with everyone like I think
> most were hoping.

What would be even more interesting is Naga, Amelia, and *Phil* on-screen
at the same time, but that ain't never gonna happen (and to be honest,
I'm not betting on Naga appearing in Slayers Revolution at all).

>> Currently, I'm waiting to see how and when Xelloss will turn up (as of
>> Ep. 2, he hasn't shown yet, but is featured prominently in the
>> credits).
>
> I'm sure...... that is a secret. ^_^

Didn't somebody whack Zelgadis over the head when he stole that line for
similar purposes back in Next? <Evil grin>

>> I guess I must do nothing but watch anime.  Lessee, here, currently in
>> the process of watching:
> <snip impressive list>

Note that I'm saying that all of those shows are *good*--a lot of them
I'm sticking with only because I like one of the secondary characters
(frex, in Suteki Tantei Labyrinth, I'm curious about the butler).
Certainly none of them are of an Utena/Escaflowne/Noein caliber, or even
a Trigun/Utawarerumono/Hikaru no Go caliber.

> I'm only just getting around to finishing Fullmetal Alchemist, but I
> haven't watched a whole lot of new anime lately. I am about to get a
> fresh and massive dose at Otakon in August, however. Video rooms, here I
> come!!

<Wafts a bit of envy--just a bit--in DQ's direction for being able to
afford to go to a con>

E. Liddell, and her aching hip.

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 17, 2008, 2:41:46 PM7/17/08
On Jul 17, 2:13 pm, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam>

wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:44:13 -0700, spam wrote:

> >> After the way they teased us with the possibility in Premium and then
> >> never delivered, I'm betting not (unless it's in a credit sequence).
>
> > Well, Naga *was* in it. For about 10 seconds. But technically, they
> > delivered--we just didn't see her interacting with everyone like I think
> > most were hoping.
>
> What would be even more interesting is Naga, Amelia, and *Phil* on-screen
> at the same time, but that ain't never gonna happen (and to be honest,
> I'm not betting on Naga appearing in Slayers Revolution at all).

I imagine if it did happen, it was because Hajime Kanzaka was retiring
and it was the last thing he was going to do.

She probably won't, although there'll probably be some nod to her at
some point (there always is).

> >> Currently, I'm waiting to see how and when Xelloss will turn up (as of
> >> Ep. 2, he hasn't shown yet, but is featured prominently in the
> >> credits).
>
> > I'm sure...... that is a secret. ^_^
>
> Didn't somebody whack Zelgadis over the head when he stole that line for
> similar purposes back in Next?  <Evil grin>

Probably, but I was forced to say it by demons poking me with sticks.

> >> I guess I must do nothing but watch anime.  Lessee, here, currently in
> >> the process of watching:
> > <snip impressive list>
>
> Note that I'm saying that all of those shows are *good*--a lot of them
> I'm sticking with only because I like one of the secondary characters
> (frex, in Suteki Tantei Labyrinth, I'm curious about the butler).
> Certainly none of them are of an Utena/Escaflowne/Noein caliber, or even
> a Trigun/Utawarerumono/Hikaru no Go caliber.

Any you particularly recommend?

> > I'm only just getting around to finishing Fullmetal Alchemist, but I
> > haven't watched a whole lot of new anime lately. I am about to get a
> > fresh and massive dose at Otakon in August, however. Video rooms, here I
> > come!!
>
> <Wafts a bit of envy--just a bit--in DQ's direction for being able to
> afford to go to a con>

Though you might envy me, it's not a matter of being super-rich or
anything. Please to let me demonstrate:

http://www.angelfire.com/id/deathquaker/images/364fdg.gif

Save up for the entry fee (which is very fair for a 3 day weekend),
sleep at home, pack a couple sandwiches. I even went when I was
working minimum wage with no benefits for a college bookstore (I just
had to avoid the dealer's room like mad). I'm lucky that our town gets
cool events like that, but that's the benefit of living in a city in
general. If I wasn't close by, it'd be highly unlikely that I'd go
(and if I moved to another city, I'd go to what's there, and if I ever
manage to move back out to the country, I won't care, because I'll
have my rose garden I've always wanted).

Which is why I was on one hand always excited by the prospect of AFU
meeting up at a con, I knew it was kind of unfair for me to plug
Otakon since it's not exactly an inconvenience.

> E. Liddell, and her aching hip

Our hips can ache together. Bad, bad hips! Stop it now!

DQ

E. Liddell

Jul 17, 2008, 5:06:51 PM7/17/08

Which, I suppose, means that we should wish for it not to happen for a
while yet.

> She probably won't, although there'll probably be some nod to her at
> some point (there always is).

True, true.

>> > I'm sure...... that is a secret. ^_^
>>
>> Didn't somebody whack Zelgadis over the head when he stole that line
>> for similar purposes back in Next?  <Evil grin>
>
> Probably, but I was forced to say it by demons poking me with sticks.

<snicker> Well, I suppose that's as good an excuse as any.

>> > <snip impressive list>
>>
>> Note that I'm saying that all of those shows are *good*--a lot of them
>> I'm sticking with only because I like one of the secondary characters
>> (frex, in Suteki Tantei Labyrinth, I'm curious about the butler).
>> Certainly none of them are of an Utena/Escaflowne/Noein caliber, or
>> even a Trigun/Utawarerumono/Hikaru no Go caliber.
>
> Any you particularly recommend?

Hmmm. Of the ones I listed Galaxy Railways II may end up being fairly
good . . . or not (Leiji Matsumoto is capable of producing work filling
the entire spectrum from brilliant to awful). I'm waiting to see if it
drops the ball at the very end or not. The first season was better,
anyway.

Allison to Lillia is good if you like relatively light-hearted (but not
comedic) adventure stories (it occasionally develops a bit of an
underlying bite but is largely free of angst and not especially violent).

Slayers Revolution and KKM 3 seem largely faithful to their predecessors
in tone and content. The rest are either seriously flawed or fall into
haven't-watched-enough-to-comment-yet territory (some of them I might
recommend to someone looking for something very specific, but not
otherwise).

Still on the list to check out for this season: World Destruction,
Natsume Yuujinchou (the manga for this one is moderately entertaining),
Blade of the Immortal, and the second Someday's Dreamers series.

Of stuff that's recently completed its fansub run, I can recommend Spice
and Wolf (about a fantasy-world merchant who gets tangled in the affairs
of a minor deity), Shion no Ou (start with Hikaru no Go, swap the go for
shougi, and add a murder mystery subplot), Mokke (slice of life about a
girl who can see spirits and her little sister, who has a tendency to get
possessed by them) and Shounen Onmyouji (Heian-era period fantasy about a
young exorcist and a bunch of bishounen spirits--yes, Yoroshiku *finally*
finished subbing it, despite a license announcement). My "guilty
pleasure" show for this year so far (in other words, angst, bishounen,
and more angst, all wrapped in a nice dark ambience) has been Vampire
Knight.

>> > I'm only just getting around to finishing Fullmetal Alchemist, but I
>> > haven't watched a whole lot of new anime lately. I am about to get a
>> > fresh and massive dose at Otakon in August, however. Video rooms,
>> > here I come!!
>>
>> <Wafts a bit of envy--just a bit--in DQ's direction for being able to
>> afford to go to a con>
>
> Though you might envy me, it's not a matter of being super-rich or
> anything. Please to let me demonstrate:
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/id/deathquaker/images/364fdg.gif

That would do it. Right now, however, I'm envious of anyone with an
income, pretty much. My total earnings for this year amount to <$50Cdn.

> Save up for the entry fee (which is very fair for a 3 day weekend),
> sleep at home, pack a couple sandwiches. I even went when I was working
> minimum wage with no benefits for a college bookstore (I just had to
> avoid the dealer's room like mad). I'm lucky that our town gets cool
> events like that, but that's the benefit of living in a city in general.
> If I wasn't close by, it'd be highly unlikely that I'd go (and if I
> moved to another city, I'd go to what's there, and if I ever manage to
> move back out to the country, I won't care, because I'll have my rose
> garden I've always wanted).

<Grimace> This place calls itself a city, but it's really a small town
with delusions of grandeur. It's about equidistant from Anime North
(Toronto) and AC3 (Ottawa), and too far from either to make attending
really practical when you can't afford a hotel.

>> E. Liddell, and her aching hip
>
> Our hips can ache together. Bad, bad hips! Stop it now!

I think the weather here has it in for me. Icky, grey, humid, and HOT.

E. Liddell

sephigirl

Jul 20, 2008, 5:19:37 PM7/20/08
On Jul 13, 7:06�am, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam>
wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:00:26 -0500, Laurie G. wrote:
> > sephigirl wrote:
> >> I believe it's Ms Liddell's day today? ??
>
> You're two weeks late, actually, but I'll accept the sentiment
> as intended. �;)

eep! #^^#

> >> If so, well, if even not so - Have a great day - sending naked boys to
> >> pose on the car and give your muse a run for the money!
>
> >> Touga: �Boys? �I'm plenty enough to satisfy anything she might need.
>
> Ano . . . Touga? �Even you make better yaoi-ish eye candy when posing
> with another male. �;P

Touga: True, I make everything better . . .

> >> Akio, Saio, Mikage, Ruka: �*cough cough bull sh-- cough cough*
>
> <Amused> �Those I don't need immediately can take turns posing until I
> tire out the preceding ones. ;D

Akio: And they do pose very prettily.
Saio & Ruka: um . . .

> >> Well, maybe Ruka shouldn't cough - he'll just scare us.
>
> >> Ruka - I'm plenty healthy enough to do whatever is required of me,
> >> thank you very much.
>
> <Snicker> �So long as it isn't contagious.

Ruka: Once you've had me, I'm always in your system.
Touga: You don't get it . . .
Ruka: Oh, I'll get it, it's you who won't get it
Touga: Seriously, Juri admired you?

> > Happy birthday! �I hope it's been a great one for you.
>
> > *sends enough fudge and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for you and all
> > the boys*
>
> Mmm . . . �Fudge. �<With mouth full> �N'one ev'r gives m' 'nuff fudge.
>
> E. Liddell, and her chapter-and-a-half of potential novel.

Yahoo and Yeh! Just keep writing, even if it's becoming an erotica as
you say later. Good market in erotica. You're such a strong
writer . . . I would gladly buy anything you write!

btw - there's a woman here who may join my Novelist group and she
writes boy-boy erotica. So, there's a market . . .

~Katherine
~Mikage's Prince

E. Liddell

Jul 20, 2008, 7:48:40 PM7/20/08
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:19:37 -0700, sephigirl wrote:

> On Jul 13, 7:06�am, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:
>>
>> You're two weeks late, actually, but I'll accept the sentiment as
>> intended. �;)
>
> eep! #^^#

Heh. S'okay--it isn't as though I made much of a noise about it, or
anything.

>> Ano . . . Touga? �Even you make better yaoi-ish eye candy when posing
>> with another male. �;P
>
> Touga: True, I make everything better . . .

I think Juri might dispute that, were she here . . . Heck, even Utena
might dispute it.

>> <Amused> �Those I don't need immediately can take turns posing until I
>> tire out the preceding ones. ;D
>
> Akio: And they do pose very prettily. Saio & Ruka: um . . .

>> <Snicker> �So long as it isn't contagious.
>
> Ruka: Once you've had me, I'm always in your system. Touga: You don't
> get it . . .
> Ruka: Oh, I'll get it, it's you who won't get it Touga: Seriously,
> Juri admired you?

She admired his fencing form, not his brains. ;P

>> > Happy birthday! �I hope it's been a great one for you.
>>
>> > *sends enough fudge and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for you and
>> > all the boys*
>>
>> Mmm . . . �Fudge. �<With mouth full> �N'one ev'r gives m' 'nuff fudge.
>>
>> E. Liddell, and her chapter-and-a-half of potential novel.
>
> Yahoo and Yeh! Just keep writing, even if it's becoming an erotica as
> you say later. Good market in erotica.

It's a bit over two chapters now, and I don't think it's going to turn
into erotica for a change (unless things get a lot stranger than I'm
anticipating in part 3, assuming I get that far). I think this is the
first time I've ever dealt with a protag/narrator who's happily
married . . . well, other than the fragment about the hermaphroditic
merpeople. >_<;;;;;;;;; Heck, the last fanfic I finished wasn't erotica
either, and the romantic subplot was het. (Still need someone to beta
that mess . . . I don't suppose anyone here is willing to wade through
half a megabyte of Lunar: Eternal Blue fanfic?)

I'm not really happy with the novel-thing as it stands at present, but
I've promised myself that this time I'm going to try to finish the draft
before going back and revising anything, or at least get to the point of
figuring out what I need to change. The problem with original novels is
that I never really seem to get enough of a grip on my characters . . .

>You're such a strong writer . .
> . I would gladly buy anything you write!

I hope there comes a day when I can take you up on that.

> btw - there's a woman here who may join my Novelist group and she writes
> boy-boy erotica. So, there's a market . . .

I know--I even know of a Usenet poster who publishes the stuff in honest-
to-goodness paying venues. Thing is, I suspect that the sort of stuff I
prefer to write would fall into the same sort of limbo as the work she
calls "The Trashy Porn Novel That Grew"--not enough sex for the erotica
market, but too much and too explicit to place it easily outside that
market, either. Maybe I ought to start a publishing house. ;P

E. Liddell, about to spend half an hour messing around with computer code
before playing Star Ocean for a while.

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 20, 2008, 8:02:20 PM7/20/08
On Jul 17, 5:06 pm, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam>

wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:41:46 -0700, spam wrote:
<snip>

> >> What would be even more interesting is Naga, Amelia, and *Phil*

> >> on-screen at the same time, but that ain't never gonna happen (and to
> >> be honest, I'm not betting on Naga appearing in Slayers Revolution at
> >> all).
>
> > I imagine if it did happen, it was because Hajime Kanzaka was retiring
> > and it was the last thing he was going to do.
>
> Which, I suppose, means that we should wish for it not to happen for a
> while yet.

True. Although the guy's gotta run out of juice at some point.

I managed to catch the first couple eps on Youtube. Good, fun stuff.

My only disappointment--which is not everyone's, as I think some
people feel the opposite--is that almost all the incidental music is
recycled from "Next" and "Try" -- it's been 10 years, and I know J.C.
Staff has had some awesome scores recorded for a number of anime, so
certainly they coulda delivered for the much anticipated next Slayers
installment. But that's a minor thing, relatively speaking.

> Hmmm.  Of the ones I listed Galaxy Railways II may end up being fairly
> good . . . or not (Leiji Matsumoto is capable of producing work filling
> the entire spectrum from brilliant to awful).  I'm waiting to see if it
> drops the ball at the very end or not.  The first season was better,
> anyway.

Let me know.

> That would do it.  Right now, however, I'm envious of anyone with an
> income, pretty much.  My total earnings for this year amount to <$50Cdn.

Still no luck on the job search? :( Hope this fiscal year brings good
news.

> > Save up for the entry fee (which is very fair for a 3 day weekend),
> > sleep at home, pack a couple sandwiches. I even went when I was working
> > minimum wage with no benefits for a college bookstore (I just had to
> > avoid the dealer's room like mad). I'm lucky that our town gets cool
> > events like that, but that's the benefit of living in a city in general.
> > If I wasn't close by, it'd be highly unlikely that I'd go (and if I
> > moved to another city, I'd go to what's there, and if I ever manage to
> > move back out to the country, I won't care, because I'll have my rose
> > garden I've always wanted).
>
> <Grimace>  This place calls itself a city, but it's really a small town
> with delusions of grandeur.  It's about equidistant from Anime North
> (Toronto) and AC3 (Ottawa), and too far from either to make attending
> really practical when you can't afford a hotel.

I understand. Hopefully that won't be an issue in coming years.

It would be fun to visit another con sometime... if I had the planning
skills to do it.

Well, I have the planning skills. I use them all up at my job, and
can't find the energy to use them for anything else. -_-

> >> E. Liddell, and her aching hip
>
> > Our hips can ache together. Bad, bad hips! Stop it now!
>
> I think the weather here has it in for me.  Icky, grey, humid, and HOT.

Yes.... I think that is definitely not helping. Feel better!

DQ

mi...@winternet.com

Jul 20, 2008, 10:26:31 PM7/20/08
sp...@deathquaker.org wrote:
> On Jul 16, 10:55 pm, m...@winternet.com wrote:
>> s...@deathquaker.org wrote:
>>> <snip>
> <snip>
>
>> It always annoyed me that there was never a Muse of painting. Maybe the
>> ancient Greeks considered painting as "craft", not as "art"? *fooey*
>
> I think it's largely because the Muses are associated as a whole with
> *poetic* art--even Terp while generally considered the muse of dance
> also is associated with choral song. All of them have some association
> with verbal/musical expression in some way (although Urania is a bit
> of an outlier).
>
> And they would all ultimately be associated with Apollo, god of music
> and poetry.

Didn't Apollo create the Muses, or have them as his assistants, or
something? I am not remembering that part of my Greek mythology.

> The other fine arts, the more physical ones like sculpting, weaving,
> etc. would be associated with Athena. (And the more practical crafts
> with Hephaistos).

Athena certainly was portrayed as a mistress of weaving, and of course
Hephaestus was the God of Smithcraft. After learning more about
traditional hand-smithing, I can see why it would be considered magical,
and why the activity would get its very own deity in *many* mythos.

>>> I briefly found similar inspiration when I just wanted clean off my
>>> hard drive of old stuff and was opening things to remember what they
>>> were.
>> Oh yeah. "What does *this* file name possibly mean?"
>
> *lol* Exactly.
>
> Or three almost similar ones, like "Anthy-Mikage Thing," "Anthy Mikage
> Other Thing", "Anthy Mikage and the Kitchen Sink."
>
> (And no, none of those are romances involving Anthy and Mikage. They
> were just significant characters in the plot.)

If that kitchen sink is a significant character then it must be the one
in Nemuro Memorial Hall, and go along with the haunted basement and
sentient elevator.

>> Got it! Thanks. We'll see what happens when I have something to send
>> back to you. This new machine has Office 2007, but I'm sure we can find
>> the compatible file format if you don't have Vista yet.
>
> Actually, there is a compatibility upgrade for Windows 2003, so I can
> (theoretically) open Office 2007 files. Although if you can save it
> as .doc rather than .docx that'd probably still be preferable.

A friend told me that a big thing about the Office 2007 file formats is
that they'd moved to XML. I figured that would make them
human-readable. But I tested that today. If you open up a .docx in
Notepad, say, you do see an XML indication near the top, but it's all
still encoded. Doesn't look like Unicode either, so who knows?

I've been able to successfully edit your fic file with my commentary,
and I don't believe its altered the format since it was in the proper
format to start with. Of course the true test will come when I send it
back to you and we'll see if you can open it.

>> <snip>

>>> Yes! I am excited about that. Of course, the old question rears its
>>> head: will Amelia and Naga ever appear on screen at the same time? :)
>> I think these episodes have arrived at our house
>
> Wait, is the new Slayers series actually OUT? *runs to look*

Probably not. My memory was probably just mixing up looking at previews
with thinking that we'd actually received disks. My bad.

>> but we've been watching through "Kamichu" (a very cute story)
>
> I *love* Kamichu, and I discovered it immediately after declaring to
> myself, "I am NEVER, EVER watching ANOTHER anime about a junior high
> school girl with special powers who can't tell the boy she likes she
> likes him, blah blah blah."
>
> But it's nicely original (it's made by the R.O.D people dontchaknow),
> and perhaps I prefer the moe-moe/seinen style to shoujo (though
> obviously, I love good shoujo--*nods at Utena*).

I'll warn you about "Mokke" then. It seemed to use many of the same
themes as "Kamichu". But I ended up really disliking it because I
couldn't stand the characters. I found them either utter idiots or
really irritating--they had the kind of traits that I find irritating in
people in real life. But I became fond of all the characters in "Kamichu".

<snip>

<snip extensive Sims 2 info>

>> I haven't gotten the game yet, although now that I'm passing
through my upgrade travails,
>> it may be time.
>
> There are a few package deals out now--I think there's a couple
> different deluxe versions that will give you the base game plus a few
> expansion packs.

Yes, I've seen these in the stores.

<and Sims 2 security problems>

> And all of this is more than you probably wanted to know, but there we
> are.

Nah, this is exactly the kind of stuff I want to know before buying. I
thought it'd be a simple matter of finding time to pick up the games and
install. But I think I'll do some reading at the forums first, now, and
see where the patch situation is at.

E. Liddell

Jul 21, 2008, 12:41:30 PM7/21/08

After encountering the egregious misuse of some BGM from Try in the third
episode, I think they would have been best off composing more new BGM
than they did, but at the same time I'm happy that they kept some of the
old stuff.

>> Hmmm.  Of the ones I listed Galaxy Railways II may end up being fairly
>> good . . . or not (Leiji Matsumoto is capable of producing work filling
>> the entire spectrum from brilliant to awful).  I'm waiting to see if it
>> drops the ball at the very end or not.  The first season was better,
>> anyway.
>
> Let me know.

As soon as Froth-Bite and whoever else is collaborating with them on it
finish up--the show's Japanese run finished a couple of years ago.

>> That would do it.  Right now, however, I'm envious of anyone with an
>> income, pretty much.  My total earnings for this year amount to
>> <$50Cdn.
>
> Still no luck on the job search? :( Hope this fiscal year brings good
> news.

<Grimace> I gave it up for a while and went back to school, thus
worsening the drain on my finances severely. I am not looking forward to
what's going to happen when I finish up this time.

I hateHateHATE job hunts. I find both uncertainty and communicating with
strangers VERY stressful, and the combination of the two is enough to
make me collapse into a whimpering heap after a couple of weeks. And
with all my problems, finding a job that I can actually *do* to apply for
in the first place is tough as heck. Just *thinking* about it has me
blinking back tears, although I'm not sure whether they're due to
frustration or sheer terror.

>> > Save up for the entry fee (which is very fair for a 3 day weekend),
>> > sleep at home, pack a couple sandwiches. I even went when I was
>> > working minimum wage with no benefits for a college bookstore (I just
>> > had to avoid the dealer's room like mad). I'm lucky that our town
>> > gets cool events like that, but that's the benefit of living in a
>> > city in general. If I wasn't close by, it'd be highly unlikely that
>> > I'd go (and if I moved to another city, I'd go to what's there, and
>> > if I ever manage to move back out to the country, I won't care,
>> > because I'll have my rose garden I've always wanted).
>>
>> <Grimace>  This place calls itself a city, but it's really a small town
>> with delusions of grandeur.  It's about equidistant from Anime North
>> (Toronto) and AC3 (Ottawa), and too far from either to make attending
>> really practical when you can't afford a hotel.
>
> I understand. Hopefully that won't be an issue in coming years.
>
> It would be fun to visit another con sometime... if I had the planning
> skills to do it.
>
> Well, I have the planning skills. I use them all up at my job, and can't
> find the energy to use them for anything else. -_-

I don't think anyone ever wants to do what they do in their job for
recreational purposes as well (well, except for those lucky folks whose
job is also their vocation in life, so to speak).

>> > Our hips can ache together. Bad, bad hips! Stop it now!
>>
>> I think the weather here has it in for me.  Icky, grey, humid, and HOT.
>
> Yes.... I think that is definitely not helping. Feel better!

<Blows raspberry at weather gods>

E. Liddell, still achey and tired.

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 21, 2008, 3:26:53 PM7/21/08
On Jul 20, 10:26 pm, m...@winternet.com wrote:
> s...@deathquaker.org wrote:
> > <snip>
>
> >> It always annoyed me that there was never a Muse of painting.  Maybe the
> >> ancient Greeks considered painting as "craft", not as "art"?  *fooey*
>
> > I think it's largely because the Muses are associated as a whole with
> > *poetic* art--even Terp while generally considered the muse of dance
> > also is associated with choral song. All of them have some association
> > with verbal/musical expression in some way (although Urania is a bit
> > of an outlier).
>
> > And they would all ultimately be associated with Apollo, god of music
> > and poetry.
>
> Didn't Apollo create the Muses, or have them as his assistants, or
> something?  I am not remembering that part of my Greek mythology.

The Muses served under him, basically, IIRC. And I'm sure different
Greek tribes believed different things, so it depends on your source.

> > The other fine arts, the more physical ones like sculpting, weaving,
> > etc. would be associated with Athena. (And the more practical crafts
> > with Hephaistos).
>
> Athena certainly was portrayed as a mistress of weaving,

Also pottery. And she invented the aulos (flute). She's often
described as goddess of handicraft.

> and of course
> Hephaestus was the God of Smithcraft.  After learning more about
> traditional hand-smithing, I can see why it would be considered magical,
> and why the activity would get its very own deity in *many* mythos.

Yeah. Not exactly easy.

A lot of making and engineering was nearly arcane. Architecture was
also apparently a complex art... so much so, that in their efforts to
rebuild the Parthenon, they've discovered the builders and architects
had some crazily complicated mathemetical design influences, and that
some of their tools were effectively better than a lot of tools used
in modern masonry today.

> >> Oh yeah.  "What does *this* file name possibly mean?"
>
> > *lol* Exactly.
>
> > Or three almost similar ones, like "Anthy-Mikage Thing," "Anthy Mikage
> > Other Thing", "Anthy Mikage and the Kitchen Sink."
>
> > (And no, none of those are romances involving Anthy and Mikage. They
> > were just significant characters in the plot.)
>
> If that kitchen sink is a significant character then it must be the one
> in Nemuro Memorial Hall, and go along with the haunted basement and
> sentient elevator.

Now *there's* a fanfic that needs writing. ^_^

<snip>

> I've been able to successfully edit your fic file with my commentary,
> and I don't believe its altered the format since it was in the proper
> format to start with.  Of course the true test will come when I send it
> back to you and we'll see if you can open it.

I look forward to reading your comments when you're ready (and we'll
have fun with formatting if and when need be).

> >> <snip>

> >> I think these episodes have arrived at our house
>
> > Wait, is the new Slayers series actually OUT? *runs to look*
>
> Probably not.  My memory was probably just mixing up looking at previews
> with thinking that we'd actually received disks.  My bad.

I caught some eps on Youtube. Looks like fun. Will definitely pick up
when it comes to the U.S.

<snip Kamichu, etc.>

> I'll warn you about "Mokke" then.  It seemed to use many of the same
> themes as "Kamichu".  But I ended up really disliking it because I
> couldn't stand the characters.  I found them either utter idiots or
> really irritating--they had the kind of traits that I find irritating in
> people in real life.

Noted!

>  But I became fond of all the characters in "Kamichu".

I think that's why it's so endearing. It's not exactly a fast paced
anime or anything. Very "slice of life" in fact. But with good
characters, that can be extremely enjoyable. I can't think of a
character I dislike in Kamichu, and that's a rare thing. I think the
older sister (Matsuri?) is a little grating, but I think she's
supposed to be, and she has enough depth than to be just another
"overbearing snot" archetype.

> <and Sims 2 security problems>
>
> > And all of this is more than you probably wanted to know, but there we
> > are.
>
> Nah, this is exactly the kind of stuff I want to know before buying.  I
> thought it'd be a simple matter of finding time to pick up the games and
> install.  But I think I'll do some reading at the forums first, now, and
> see where the patch situation is at.

Well, you should be able to safely get the software up through
"Seasons." It's just BV and after that have the SecuROM on there.

FreeTime is patched, and I think if you have trouble, there's an exe
you can download from SecuROM that makes the game run properly.

DQ

sp...@deathquaker.org

Jul 21, 2008, 3:31:20 PM7/21/08
On Jul 21, 12:41 pm, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam>

wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:02:20 -0700, spam wrote:
> > My only disappointment--which is not everyone's, as I think some people
> > feel the opposite--is that almost all the incidental music is recycled
> > from "Next" and "Try" -- it's been 10 years, and I know J.C. Staff has
> > had some awesome scores recorded for a number of anime, so certainly
> > they coulda delivered for the much anticipated next Slayers installment.
> > But that's a minor thing, relatively speaking.
>
> After encountering the egregious misuse of some BGM from Try in the third
> episode, I think they would have been best off composing more new BGM
> than they did, but at the same time I'm happy that they kept some of the
> old stuff.

I think keeping some of the old stuff as continuity would be fine...
especially a lot of the traveling and "just arrived in town" kind of
music. But yes... they've been using some fight/suspense music that
was clearly designed for a different situation and it feels out of
place.

> >> That would do it.  Right now, however, I'm envious of anyone with an
> >> income, pretty much.  My total earnings for this year amount to
> >> <$50Cdn.
>
> > Still no luck on the job search? :( Hope this fiscal year brings good
> > news.
>
> <Grimace>  I gave it up for a while and went back to school, thus
> worsening the drain on my finances severely.  I am not looking forward to
> what's going to happen when I finish up this time.
>
> I hateHateHATE job hunts.  I find both uncertainty and communicating with
> strangers VERY stressful, and the combination of the two is enough to
> make me collapse into a whimpering heap after a couple of weeks.  And
> with all my problems, finding a job that I can actually *do* to apply for
> in the first place is tough as heck.  Just *thinking* about it has me
> blinking back tears, although I'm not sure whether they're due to
> frustration or sheer terror.

You are so very not alone in job hunt frustration, and it's tough
right now. You know we're rooting for ya. In the meantime, I hope
you've been learning good stuff at school. Surely, that will help.

> > Well, I have the planning skills. I use them all up at my job, and can't
> > find the energy to use them for anything else. -_-
>
> I don't think anyone ever wants to do what they do in their job for
> recreational purposes as well (well, except for those lucky folks whose
> job is also their vocation in life, so to speak).

Tru 'nuff. And I've come to realize that anything I did for a
living... even if it was something I liked as a hobby... I'd still
find it'd become a chore if it was required for work.

DQ

E. Liddell

Jul 27, 2008, 12:32:16 PM7/27/08
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:02:20 -0700, spam wrote:

> On Jul 17, 5:06 pm, "E. Liddell" <elidd...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:

>> Hmmm.  Of the ones I listed Galaxy Railways II may end up being fairly
>> good . . . or not (Leiji Matsumoto is capable of producing work filling
>> the entire spectrum from brilliant to awful).  I'm waiting to see if it
>> drops the ball at the very end or not.  The first season was better,
>> anyway.
>
> Let me know.

The last episode finally showed up, um . . . long enough ago for it to
have dropped off the "uploads from the last 72hrs" list at one of my
primary push--I mean, *sources*--a couple of days ago. The series
finished fairly well, especially considering the weak beginning, but I
still don't like it as well as the first season. Lawrence just isn't an
adequate stand-in for Bruce, I guess, and it isn't just because he isn't
voiced by Koyasu Takehito. And they didn't kill enough people off to
give the ending the same bite. (Bloodthirsty, aren't I?)

E. Liddell, still slightly punch-drunk from marathoning Utawarerumono
yesterday and then spending the evening cranking out a complete short
fanfic of the silly, indulgent, I-wanted-the-main-characters-to-have-a-
happy-ending type. Seriously, I don't know what came over me.