Which providers and indexers cannot be mentioned in r/Usenet?

dunno

Dec 4, 2020, 1:16:53 PM12/4/20
I know if you mention some indexers or Usenet provider in r/Usenet the
message will be automatically removed by moderator bot. Since we’re not
moderated over here I was wondering if anyone can tell me about them. I’m
more interested in banned Usenet providers. Allegedly they are using
“backdoored” access to the Usenet.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dunno

Dec 5, 2020, 10:44:55 AM12/5/20
('', ) <keithjam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know Speedium is one of the providers they have banned from being discussed.

Interesting. Thanks.

Francis Strelok

Dec 30, 2020, 1:51:05 PM12/30/20
On Sat, 5 Dec 2020 05:13:05 -0800 (PST), "('', )"
<keithjam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>It's a fair question, r/usenet isn't a forum for questions anymore so-much as a searchable archive of curated content. The mods are quick to remove any breech of their rules - https://snew.notabug.io/r/usenet
>I know Speedium is one of the providers that's been banned.

Do you have any idea why Speedium was banned from discussion?

dunno

Dec 31, 2020, 1:37:54 PM12/31/20
Some anonymous posters claimed that Speedium is secretly using user
accounts of other providers to increase their own retention. You can still
find that thread if you search for "Speedium" in r/Usenet.

Francis Strelok

Dec 31, 2020, 10:07:01 PM12/31/20
On Thu, 31 Dec 20 18:37:53 UTC, dunno <du...@dunno.dunno> wrote:

>Francis Strelok <whati...@email.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 Dec 2020 05:13:05 -0800 (PST), "('', )"
>> <keithjam...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It's a fair question, r/usenet isn't a forum for questions anymore
>>> so-much as a searchable archive of curated content. The mods are quick
>>> to remove any breech of their rules - https://snew.notabug.io/r/usenet
>>> I know Speedium is one of the providers that's been banned.
>>>

>> Do you have any idea why Speedium was banned from discussion?
>>

>Some anonymous posters claimed that Speedium is secretly using user
>accounts of other providers to increase their own retention. You can still
>find that thread if you search for "Speedium" in r/Usenet.

Ahh, interesting. Thanks for the info!

5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD

Sep 1, 2022, 3:00:08 AM9/1/22

Hi, sorry for butting in.

"('', )" <keithjam...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, 4 December 2020 at 18:16:53 UTC, dunno wrote:
> It's a fair question, r/usenet isn't a forum for questions anymore
> so-much as a searchable archive of curated content. The mods are
> quick to remove any posts breech of their rules -
> https://snew.notabug.io/r/usenet I know Speedium is one of the
> providers they have banned from being discussed.

I find Reddit, in general, to be a not-so-good way of having discussions
and Q&A's online. It has reach since everyone and their grandma knows
Reddit now but man every sufficiently large communities are heavily
polarized towards a certain bias and heavy moderated.

I used to follow this one regional subreddit before for years and I
basically saw it gradually shift towards increasingly radical views. I
feel like I was in looneytown at one point and any dissenting opinion
are downvoted to oblivion. There's only one voice and that's the voice
of the "mass".

So yeah, it's a long way of saying that Reddit's "upvote" system coupled
with heavy moderation really created a conducive environment for echo
chambers to form. At least with unmoderated USENET, the moderation is up
to the user and while that is a bit of work, it doesn't prevent
alternative viewpoints to show up and be discussed.

--
Pointless meanderings in a bleak and lonely world.

meff

Sep 9, 2022, 7:50:45 PM9/9/22
On 2022-09-01, 5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD <ehj46PkB...@VW28LtWn6wknpUMV.invalid> wrote:
> So yeah, it's a long way of saying that Reddit's "upvote" system coupled
> with heavy moderation really created a conducive environment for echo
> chambers to form. At least with unmoderated USENET, the moderation is up
> to the user and while that is a bit of work, it doesn't prevent
> alternative viewpoints to show up and be discussed.

I've found this to be a general trend in upvote-dynamic based
sites. It's prominent on Reddit, but certainly not the only place.

5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD

Sep 10, 2022, 12:00:07 AM9/10/22
Yeah. I agree. I just highlighted Reddit since it's the most popular of
those "upvote" sites. But certainly Hacker News and the likes do have a
similar problem.