Usenet Stories

Jason Evans

Sep 6, 2020, 8:08:37 AM9/6/20
I'm doing a couple of conference presentations next month on reviving
Usenet. Part of it will be telling stories from Usenet to both stir .

One of the most famous stories is from a Finnish grad student starting
his own OS. I've already got that one in my notes.

What I'm looking for are interesting and/or funny stories from Usenet.
I've got several gigs of archives from archive.org going back to the
80's. If you can tell me the story, the newsgroup, and approximately when
(withing 3-5 years), I can probably find the original posts with some
digging. That's how I found the original post from the grad student :).

Thanks!

X-posted to alt.folklore.computers, alt.fan.usenet, news.groups,
r/usenet, r/internet, and r/oldinternet

:-)

Apr 14, 2021, 11:46:55 PM4/14/21
Are you going to publish this presentation? I'm interested to see it.

Retro64XYZ

Apr 28, 2021, 11:32:00 PM4/28/21
I concur and would like to see this as well.

Jason Evans

May 10, 2021, 11:24:01 AM5/10/21

> Are you going to publish this presentation? I'm interested to see it.

Here's the presentation + notes
https://www.big-8.org/w/images/f/ff/B8MB-hcpp-notes.pdf

Here's a crappy rehearsal recording that I uploaded because the
recordings from the conferences weren't saved.

https://odysee.com/@TLTP:7/Reviving-Usenet:d

:-)

May 11, 2021, 8:35:53 PM5/11/21
Thanks, I appretiate it.

Francis Strelok

May 16, 2021, 3:51:29 AM5/16/21
Thank you for making this effort, and sharing the results!

Retro64XYZ

May 20, 2021, 1:03:10 PM5/20/21
Thank you for sending this out! This is awesome!

alien

May 24, 2021, 3:53:40 PM5/24/21
Thank you!

BTW why you don't post it on binaries too, so when ... the site is down,
at least there is "backup" on usenet.
--
-alien-
~ Work like you don't need the money. ~

jse...@rie.sdf.org

May 24, 2021, 6:20:01 PM5/24/21
On 2021-05-24, alien <al...@invalid.address> wrote:
> On 10/05/21 17.23, Jason Evans wrote:
>>
> BTW why you don't post it on binaries too, so when ... the site is down,
> at least there is "backup" on usenet.

I don't do binaries, but It might be a good idea to upload it to
upload it to archive.org. That's a better long-term solution.

--
Best Regards,
jse

alien

May 24, 2021, 7:35:44 PM5/24/21
On 25/05/21 00.16, jse...@rie.sdf.org wrote:
> I don't do binaries, but It might be a good idea to upload it to
> upload it to archive.org. That's a better long-term solution.

Yup, archive is a good option as backup, but it is not good to release
something since sometimes it can be really slow.