My usenet spam filters

Faux Dameron

Apr 3, 2020, 8:37:58 AM4/3/20
Without going into a lot of details about my lengthy kill list, I have
two filters that seem to do an amazing job at getting rid of most spam.

1. filter any article with 3 or more crosspostings.
2. filter any artile from Google groups.

The first is because most spammers spam many groups at once and it's an
easy way to cut through them.

The second is because a whole lot of spam comes through from Google
groups users.

alien

Apr 3, 2020, 8:50:51 AM4/3/20
On 3 Apr 2020 at 14.37.57 GMT+2, "Faux Dameron" <fauxd...@mailfence.com>
wrote:
I am using the same filter, but just to mark it as read, since if the message
more than 1 month, it will get deleted any way.

--
- alien -
~ Work like you don't the money ~

Anon Anon

Apr 5, 2020, 5:40:14 PM4/5/20
Can you post an example please of this killfile or link to a
pastebin?

Faux Dameron

Apr 6, 2020, 4:03:15 AM4/6/20
On Sun, 05 Apr 2020 21:40:14 +0000, Anon Anon wrote:

> Can you post an example please of this killfile or link to a pastebin?

Here are the two rules that I mentioned. They are from the Pan newsreader
and may need to be edited for yours.

Also, learn to bottom post and cut anything that you are not specifically
replying to. It makes reading news articles much easier.

%BOS
%Score created by Pan on Wed Mar 11 21:59:49 2020
[*]
Score:: =-10
%EOS

%BOS
%Score created by Pan on Fri Apr 3 10:06:08 2020
[***]
Score:: -100
%EOS

Anon Anon

Apr 6, 2020, 11:12:01 AM4/6/20
On 2020-04-06, Faux Dameron <fauxd...@mailfence.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Apr 2020 21:40:14 +0000, Anon Anon wrote:
>
>> Can you post an example please of this killfile or link to a pastebin?
>
> Here are the two rules that I mentioned. They are from the Pan newsreader
> and may need to be edited for yours.
>
> Also, learn to bottom post and cut anything that you are not specifically
> replying to. It makes reading news articles much easier.

Thanks for the tips and I will start doing that. I am new to posting to
Usenet and so I still have a lot to learn. Thanks! I am fixing my
killfile to handle crossposts right now.

alien

Apr 7, 2020, 6:48:27 AM4/7/20
I am currently using Usenapp, since it have GUI so it easy to add rules in the
preference.

<https://imgur.com/nOqasI5>

Sorry for the late reply

Grant Taylor

May 1, 2020, 12:14:02 AM5/1/20
On 4/3/20 6:37 AM, Faux Dameron wrote:
> 2. filter any artile from Google groups.

I considered filtering Google Groups for a while. (I had a rule color
code them.) But I found that there were worth while participants
posting to threads that had worthwhile content coming from Google Groups.

I would be more apt to mark messages as read that start on Google
Groups, but I've not yet put together good rules for that.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Faux Dameron

May 2, 2020, 3:13:52 PM5/2/20
I have multiple levels of filter. I give Google users a -10 which I give
any message with obvious drug spam or other spam a -1000. That way I can
keep the filter for Google turned off unless it looks like a the group
has a lot of Google spam and then I can turn it back on again.