Tolkien Society Gone Insane?

Louis Epstein

Oct 2, 2021, 11:05:30 PM10/2/21
Disturbing to hear that the UK's longstanding Tolkien Society
has decided to embrace modernistic mentalities anathema to the
traditionalist ethos the reverent reader should imbibe from the
Arda canon.

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2021/07/recordings-of-tolkien-and-diversity-seminar-now-available

The extreme charisma of the stories has drawn admiration from
quarters far from deserving of admiration for a long time (drug
culture types in the 1960s etc.) but if you want to be mainstream,
you need to be attuned to "touching your cap to Squire" and being
grateful for order and restored tradition.

Readers need refuge from,not repetition of,the "queer",the "trans",
and other egotisms of our own world and time.

-=-=-

snowfleck

Dec 18, 2021, 5:55:43 AM12/18/21
On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 03:05:29 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
<l...@top.put.com> wrote:
> Disturbing to hear that the UK's longstanding Tolkien Society
> has decided to embrace modernistic mentalities anathema to the
> traditionalist ethos the reverent reader should imbibe from the
> Arda canon.

It might be an odd point to make on usenet but why shouldn't the
tolkien society move with the times? The old guard won't live forever
so reaching out to an alternative fan base is a necessity.

Louis Epstein

Jan 7, 2022, 10:49:53 PM1/7/22
snowfleck <crumble...@gmx.se> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 03:05:29 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
> <l...@top.put.com> wrote:
>> Disturbing to hear that the UK's longstanding Tolkien Society
>> has decided to embrace modernistic mentalities anathema to the
>> traditionalist ethos the reverent reader should imbibe from the
>> Arda canon.
>
> It might be an odd point to make on usenet but why shouldn't the
> tolkien society move with the times?

Because doing so is intrinsically indefensible.

> The old guard won't live forever

Let the Thrones of the Valar endure!!

> so reaching out to an alternative fan base is a necessity.

I am a strong believer in the tale told once,"set out fair and square
without contradictions",and want the narrative to bring those who
need to be cured of their tendencies to be "an alternative fan base"
into the fold of the permanently-sole fan base.If reading TLotR
doesn't mold you toward monarchism you're not getting what you should
out of it.

snowfleck

Jan 9, 2022, 12:29:36 PM1/9/22
On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 03:49:51 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
<l...@top.put.com> wrote:
> Let the Thrones of the Valar endure!!

Didn't the valar chose their gender or physical form according to
their own individual preference? Or is that the thin end misreading
of a radical subversive wedge?

> I am a strong believer in the tale told once,"set out fair and
square
> without contradictions"

The history of middle-earth series point to constant iteration and
reimagination. Isn't that's a lot of shifting sand upon which to lay
a singular foundation?

Louis Epstein

Jan 10, 2022, 2:54:43 PM1/10/22
Best to look at it as sands slowly swept away to reveal
an enduring stone foundation.