Favorite Quotes...

1 view

Öjevind Lång

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
Bishop of Warlock hath written:

>I like the quote (which I don't have exactly right now) about the Ride of
the
>Rohirrim. Something like "Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan
had
>come at last." hmm... if anyone happens to have it handy, could they email
me
>that quote? Please? Pretty please?

Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind some courtyard of
the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of
wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the
shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horn,
horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the
north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.

That is one of my favourites too.

Cheers,

Öjevind Lång

Justin Alistair Lowde

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
In article <o_En3.7595$ip4....@nntpserver.swip.net>, Öjevind Lång
<ojevin...@swipnet.se> writes

>Bishop of Warlock hath written:
>
>>I like the quote (which I don't have exactly right now) about the Ride of
>the
>>Rohirrim. Something like "Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan
>had
>>come at last."

>Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind some courtyard of

>the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of
>wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the
>shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
> And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horn,
>horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the
>north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
>
>That is one of my favourites too.

It was Tolkien's favourite, and brought tears to his eyes when he read
it.

To be honest, 'Great horns of the north wildly blowing' could be a
general title for the Tolkien oeuvre. They dimly echoed in Orome's first
gallops, too. And in all the wars, whether blown by Noldor or Edain.

PS it took me a few goes to get the word 'oeuvre' right...
--
Alistair

Look, if I could make one thing perfectly clear,
then believe me I would.

Öjevind Lång

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
Justin Alistair hath written:

<snip>

>To be honest, 'Great horns of the north wildly blowing' could be a
>general title for the Tolkien oeuvre. They dimly echoed in Orome's first
>gallops, too. And in all the wars, whether blown by Noldor or Edain.

Perhaps he was inspired to it by the recurring phrase "and heard the horns
of Elfland distant blowing" in Lord Dunsany's "The King of Elfland's
Daughter".

Öjevind

Bread

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
I always thought Saruman had some great lines, especially some of the
insults he spewed forth after the fall of Isengard. For example, this
what he had to say to Theoden after the latter had rejected his pleas
for mercy:

"Dotard! What is the house of Theoden but a thatched barn where brigands
drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among the dogs? Too
long have they escaped the gibbet themselves. But the noose comes, slow
in the drawing, tight and hard in the end. Hang if you will!"

Justin Alistair Lowde wrote:

> In article <o_En3.7595$ip4....@nntpserver.swip.net>, Öjevind Lång
> <ojevin...@swipnet.se> writes
> >Bishop of Warlock hath written:
> >
> >>I like the quote (which I don't have exactly right now) about the Ride of
> >the
> >>Rohirrim. Something like "Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan
> >had
> >>come at last."
>
> >Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind some courtyard of
> >the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of
> >wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the
> >shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
> > And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horn,
> >horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the
> >north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
> >
> >That is one of my favourites too.
>
> It was Tolkien's favourite, and brought tears to his eyes when he read
> it.
>

> To be honest, 'Great horns of the north wildly blowing' could be a
> general title for the Tolkien oeuvre. They dimly echoed in Orome's first
> gallops, too. And in all the wars, whether blown by Noldor or Edain.

O'Neill Quigley

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
On of the best of which I offer below, IMO, which is almost
Shakespearian in its breadth of vision of the estates of men and the
policies of kingship.:-)

'If we speak of poisoned tongues, what shall we say of yours, young
serpent?' said Saruman and the flash of his anger was now plain to see.
'But come, Éomer, Éomund's son!' he went on in his soft voice again.
'To every man his part. Valour in arms is yours, and you win high honour
thereby. Slay whom your lord names as enemies, and be content. Meddle
not in policies which you do not understand. But maybe, if you become a
king, you will find that he must choose his friends with care. The
friendship of Saruman and the power of Orthanc cannot lightly be thrown
aside, whatever grievances, real or fancied, lie behind. You have won a
battle but not a war - and that with help on which you cannot count
again. You may find the Shadow of the Wood at your own door next: it is
wayward, and senseless, and has no love for men.
'But my lord of Rohan, am I to be called a murderer, because valiant
men have fallen in battle? If you go to war, needlessly, for I did not
desire it, then men will be slain. But if I am a murderer on that
account, the nall teh House of Eorl are stained with murder; for they
have fought many wars, and assailed many who defied them. Yet with some
they have afterward made peace, none the worse for being politic. I say,
Théoden King:shall we have peace and friendship, you and I? It is ours
to command.'

His question mark on Éomers future Kingship hints at his own delusion in
the assumed role of kingmaker, while the reference to the House of Éorls
past truces is apt, seeing as how they have just been succoured by
Aragorn, a direct descendent of the Kings of a people on whom the
forebears of Éorl made war, but now are their firm allies in the War to
come.

M.

Bread wrote:

> I always thought Saruman had some great lines, especially some of the
> insults he spewed forth after the fall of Isengard. For example, this
> what he had to say to Theoden after the latter had rejected his pleas
> for mercy:
>
> "Dotard! What is the house of Theoden but a thatched barn where brigands
> drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among the dogs? Too
> long have they escaped the gibbet themselves. But the noose comes, slow
> in the drawing, tight and hard in the end. Hang if you will!"

<snipped>

Bread

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
Great stuff (in fact the passage you cited comes or more less right
before the passage that I cited earlier). I really hope the LOTR movie
is as faithful as possible to the original text. I remember the BBC
rendition of LOTR was pretty faithful to Tolkiens original script, but I
just have this bad feeling that powers that be in Hollywood will get
scriptwriters to "dumb down" the language so that the movie will
"appeal" to a larger audience. But if they do that, they are missing the
whole point of LOTR, IMO.

Bryan

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99

My favourite quote comes from Appendix A (I think - Don't have LOTR handy
at the moment). It's the section about the legend of Helm Hammerhand. He
was a man of power, truly a son of Eorl.

--
With that [Helm] smote Freca such a blow with his fist that [Freca] fell
back stunned, and died soon after.

I'm trapped under ice...

Justin Alistair Lowde

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
In article <379FE9...@droids.net>, Bread <loo...@droids.net> writes

>just have this bad feeling that powers that be in Hollywood will get
>scriptwriters to "dumb down" the language so that the movie will
>"appeal" to a larger audience.

<snip>

Why do people say 'dumb down' instead of 'vulgarise'?

;-)
--
Ali
Balrog and Witch-King Rehab Unit

Öjevind Lång

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99

Bread hath written:

>I always thought Saruman had some great lines, especially some of the
>insults he spewed forth after the fall of Isengard. For example, this
>what he had to say to Theoden after the latter had rejected his pleas
>for mercy:

Saruman is a master flamer, really. Later on in the same episode he tries to
sweet-talk Gandalf. When that fails he screams: "Do not be a fool. If you
wish to treat with me, while you have a chance, go away, and come back when
you are sober! And leave behind these cut-throats and small rag-tag that
dangle at your tail!"

Öjevind

Edward W. Beattie

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99

Öjevind Lång wrote in message ...

>Perhaps he was inspired to it by the recurring phrase "and heard the horns
>of Elfland distant blowing" in Lord Dunsany's "The King of Elfland's
>Daughter".

Perhaps he was , but I'll bet he wasn't. I think he got it from "Sir Orfeo"
a medieval poem he translated. Now I don't know too much about Dunsany, but
I believe he was interested in myth and folklore, so *he* might well have
got it from there as well.

regards

EWB

Öjevind Lång

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99

Edward W. Beattie hath written:

<snip>

>Perhaps he was , but I'll bet he wasn't. I think he got it from "Sir Orfeo"
>a medieval poem he translated. Now I don't know too much about Dunsany, but
>I believe he was interested in myth and folklore, so *he* might well have
>got it from there as well.

The phrase "the horns of Elfland distant blowing" is typical of Lord
Dunsany's very personal idiom; of course, he may very well have been
inspired by "Sir Orfeo" for all that. If you haven't read "The King of
Elfland's Daughter" I warmly recommend the book.

Öjevind

Bonnie

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
Wait a sec, that sounds a lot like the bit from Tennyson's Bugle Song from
"The Princess - A Medley" It is one of my favourite bits of poetry, and
sprang instantly to mind when I read the original quote:

O hark, O hear! how thin and clear,
And thinner, clearer, farther going!
O sweet and far from cliff and scar
The horns of Elfland faintly blowing!

Seems like the horns of Elfland get around a bit. Perhaps they're travelling
performers.

Bonnie

Edward W. Beattie <edw...@beattiejr.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> Öjevind Lång wrote in message ...
>

> >Perhaps he was inspired to it by the recurring phrase "and heard the
horns
> >of Elfland distant blowing" in Lord Dunsany's "The King of Elfland's
> >Daughter".

> Perhaps he was , but I'll bet he wasn't. I think he got it from "Sir
Orfeo"
> a medieval poem he translated. Now I don't know too much about Dunsany,
but
> I believe he was interested in myth and folklore, so *he* might well have
> got it from there as well.
>

> regards
>

> EWB

Steuard Jensen

Jul 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/31/99
Quoth O'Neill Quigley <o...@indigo.ie>:
> ...the reference to the House of Éorls past truces is apt, seeing as

> how they have just been succoured by Aragorn, a direct descendent of
> the Kings of a people on whom the forebears of Éorl made war, but
> now are their firm allies in the War to come.

When, exactly, did the Eotheod fight against the Dunedain? I've just
recently reread _Unfinished Tales_, and it recounts a long history of
alliance between Gondor and the "Men of the Twilight" to the north.
(They were common foes of the wainriders, for example.) If you have
to go back farther than that, you're getting awfully far removed even
from the "forebears of Eorl". (For that matter, it may be unfair to
trace Eorl's people back in time as a continuous body past the time of
their migration/flight from the eastern side of Greenwood to its
west.)
Steuard Jensen

Bishop or Warlock or whatever...

Jul 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/31/99
>alis...@clarsach.spam.demon.co.uk wrote:

>>Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind some courtyard of
>>the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of
>>wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the
>>shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
>> And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horn,
>>horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the
>>north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.

>>That is one of my favourites too.

and my second favorite. My first favorite is, "They were a race high and
beautiful, the People of the Great Journey, the People of the Stars... But
their dominion passed long ago. They dwell now beyond the circles of the world,
and do not return." Could someone remind me where it is?
B (not your average AOheLLer) (and proud of it)

Racism is being blind and thinking you can see...

<B>Please</B> cc: all replies to me by email. If you
don't want to do it, forget I said it.

Andrew Wells

Jul 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/31/99
How about this, from “On Prose Translation of Beowulf”:
? “And therein lies the unrecapturable magic of ancient English verse for
those who have ears to hear: profound feeling, and poignant vision, filled
with the beauty and mortality of the world, are aroused by brief phrases,
light touches, short words resounding like harp-strings sharply plucked.”

Andrew

softrat

Jul 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/31/99
On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 00:54:20 GMT, sbje...@midway.uchicago.edu
(Steuard Jensen) wrote:

>Quoth O'Neill Quigley <o...@indigo.ie>:
>> ...the reference to the House of Éorls past truces is apt, seeing as
>> how they have just been succoured by Aragorn, a direct descendent of
>> the Kings of a people on whom the forebears of Éorl made war, but
>> now are their firm allies in the War to come.
>
>When, exactly, did the Eotheod fight against the Dunedain?

> Steuard Jensen

I do b'lieve that Quiggles has munched it again.

May the Farce Be With You

the softrat

O'Neill Quigley

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
Justin Alistair Lowde wrote:

> In article <379FE9...@droids.net>, Bread <loo...@droids.net> writes
> >just have this bad feeling that powers that be in Hollywood will get
> >scriptwriters to "dumb down" the language so that the movie will
> >"appeal" to a larger audience.
>
> <snip>
>
> Why do people say 'dumb down' instead of 'vulgarise'?

Must be easier for deh "dumb" people to unnerstan' :-)

O'Neill Quigley

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
Steuard Jensen wrote:

> Quoth O'Neill Quigley <o...@indigo.ie>:
> > ...the reference to the House of Éorls past truces is apt, seeing as
> > how they have just been succoured by Aragorn, a direct descendent of
> > the Kings of a people on whom the forebears of Éorl made war, but
> > now are their firm allies in the War to come.
>
> When, exactly, did the Eotheod fight against the Dunedain? I've just
> recently reread _Unfinished Tales_, and it recounts a long history of
> alliance between Gondor and the "Men of the Twilight" to the north.
> (They were common foes of the wainriders, for example.) If you have
> to go back farther than that, you're getting awfully far removed even
> from the "forebears of Eorl". (For that matter, it may be unfair to
> trace Eorl's people back in time as a continuous body past the time of
> their migration/flight from the eastern side of Greenwood to its
> west.)
> Steuard Jensen

Oh dearie me, reality check again. You may be right of course, you
usually are in such matters, but don't forget that Aragorn and Saruman
had much longer views of history than the Rohirrim. Aragorn could trace
his descent back in direct line to Elros, ELrond's brother, and he had
be succoured by Elrond himself. Saruman would have the same failings as
Galdalf had when being embodied but would have had an even longer view
of time. Certainly the previous attacks on Numenoreans by local tribes
would come within his knowledge as well as those of the forebears of
Éorl. SO i feeel there is a difference in perspective here, and one in
which Saruman apeaks ironically to Théoden since his "backward" people
and culture cannot clearly recall those ancient disputes which Saruman
clearly knows about.

Maybe that's just my interpretation of the passage, tho' ...

O'Neill Quigley

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
softrat wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 00:54:20 GMT, sbje...@midway.uchicago.edu
> (Steuard Jensen) wrote:
>
> >Quoth O'Neill Quigley <o...@indigo.ie>:
> >> ...the reference to the House of Éorls past truces is apt, seeing as
> >> how they have just been succoured by Aragorn, a direct descendent of
> >> the Kings of a people on whom the forebears of Éorl made war, but
> >> now are their firm allies in the War to come.
> >
> >When, exactly, did the Eotheod fight against the Dunedain?
> > Steuard Jensen
>
> I do b'lieve that Quiggles has munched it again.
>
> May the Farce Be With You
>
> the softrat

Take the loger view, you ground hugging rodent you: stand up!

Oh.

You *are* standing up.....

O'Neill Quigley

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
Bishop or Warlock or whatever... wrote:

> >alis...@clarsach.spam.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> >>Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind some courtyard of
> >>the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of
> >>wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the
> >>shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
> >> And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horn,
> >>horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the
> >>north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
>

> >>That is one of my favourites too.
> >

> and my second favorite. My first favorite is, "They were a race high and
> beautiful, the People of the Great Journey, the People of the Stars... But
> their dominion passed long ago. They dwell now beyond the circles of the world,
> and do not return." Could someone remind me where it is?

The SIl, IIRC. I could be wrong though: might've been a Gandalf
utterance.

O'Neill Quigley

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
Bread wrote:

> Great stuff (in fact the passage you cited comes or more less right
> before the passage that I cited earlier).

Yep, bit of a lamer there, but its sooo good...

> I really hope the LOTR movie
> is as faithful as possible to the original text. I remember the BBC

> rendition of LOTR was pretty faithful to Tolkiens original script, but > I

> just have this bad feeling that powers that be in Hollywood will get
> scriptwriters to "dumb down" the language so that the movie will

> "appeal" to a larger audience. But if they do that, they are missing the
> whole point of LOTR, IMO.

<snipped>

Agreed. While there are whole passages which can be better rendered
there are several which must remain. Saruman's calling to task by
Gandalf is one, and the scenes in Minas Tirith with Denethor are equally
evocative. Most favourite of these is the confrontation with Denethor
where Gandalf finally reveals his true appointment;-

'And you, my Lord Mithrandir, shall come too, as and when you will.
None shall hinder your coming to me at any time, save only in my brief
hours of sleep. Let your wrath at an old man's folly run off, and then
return to my comfort!'
'Folly?' said Gandalf. 'Nay, my lord, when you are a dotard you will
die. You can use even your grief as a cloak. Do you think that I do not
understand your purpose in questioning for a hour one who knows the
least, while I sit by?'
'If you understand it, then be content,' returned Denethor. 'Pride
would be folly that disdained such help and counsel at need; but you
deal out such gifts according to your own designs. Yet the Lord of
Gondor is not to be made the tool of other men's purposes, however
worthy. And to him there is no purpose higher in the world as it now
stands than the good of Gondor; and the rule of Gondor, my lord, is mine
and no other man's, unless the king should come again.'
'Unless the king should come again?' said Gandalf. 'Well my lord
Steward, it is your task to keep some kingdom still against that event,
which few now look to see. In that task you shall have all the aid that
you are pleased to ask for. But I say this: the rule of no realm is
mine, neither of Gondor or any other, great or small. But all worthy
things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And
for my part. I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should
perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair
or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I also am a steward.
Did you not know?' And with that he turned and strode from the hall with
Pippin running at his side.

"For I also am a steward. Did you not know?"

So Gandalf has risen from being merely one of five Istari who were sent
to contest Sauron's will in Middle Earth to being the one who has been
charged with stewardship of the World.

On whose behalf?

Surely not Eru, who is beyond the world and who gave it to the Valar to
govern.

No, for Manwe is the Elder King, the King of all the Gods, the King of
the World.

Gandalf is his Steward.

M.

Justin Alistair Lowde

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
In article <37A6C9F4...@indigo.ie>, O'Neill Quigley
<o...@indigo.ie> writes

>"For I also am a steward. Did you not know?"
>
>So Gandalf has risen from being merely one of five Istari who were sent
>to contest Sauron's will in Middle Earth to being the one who has been
>charged with stewardship of the World.
>On whose behalf?
>Surely not Eru, who is beyond the world and who gave it to the Valar to
>govern.
>No, for Manwe is the Elder King, the King of all the Gods, the King of
>the World.
>
>Gandalf is his Steward.

Splendidly put.

(So where does that leave Steuard?)

The phrase 'I also am a steward' reminds me curiously of Maleldil
(Jesus) speaking to Ransom in the caves of Perelandra, where the
frightened old professor is brought back to Ragnarok spirit by the words
'My name also is Ransom'.

Cian

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99

O'Neill Quigley wrote:

> Bishop or Warlock .. wrote:
> and my second favorite. My first favorite is, "They were a race high and
> > beautiful, the People of the Great Journey, the People of the Stars... But
> > their dominion passed long ago. They dwell now beyond the circles of the world,
> > and do not return." Could someone remind me where it is?
>
> The SIl, IIRC. I could be wrong though: might've been a Gandalf
> utterance.

It's from LOTR's appendix F; but the Warlock has shortened it a bit; the fuller
version,
starting from his starting point, goes:

"They were a race high and beautiful, the older Children of the world, and among them
the Eldar were as kings, who now are gone: the People of the Great Journey, the
People of the Stars. They were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks
were dark, save in the golden house of Finarfin; and their voices had more melodies
than any mortal voice that now is heard. They were valiant, but the history of those
that returned to Middle-earth in exile was grievous; and though it was in far-off
days crossed by the fate of the Fathers, their fate is not that of Men. Their
dominion passed long ago, and they dwell now beyond the circles of the world, and do
not return."

One of my favorites as well (plus the longer beginning!)
Cheers,
Cian

Andrew Wells

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
Or this, from “Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics”:
“It would still have power had it been written in some time or place unknown
and without posterity, if it contained no name that could now be recognised
or identified by research. Yet it is in fact written in a language that
after many centuries has still essential kinship with our own, it was made
in this land, and moves in our northern world beneath our northern sky, and
for those who are native to that tongue and land, it must ever call with a
profound appeal – until the dragon comes.”

Andrew

Steuard Jensen

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
Quoth Justin Alistair Lowde <alis...@clarsach.spam.demon.co.uk>:
> O'Neill Quigley <o...@indigo.ie> writes:
> >Gandalf is his Steward.

> (So where does that leave Steuard?)

Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves,
Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is
forgotten, in Chicago Jensen, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go
not.

Actaully, considering the fact that I'm just 22 (and a rather youngish
looking 22 at that), I'm a strong candidate for the "Looks Least Like
Gandalf" contest (well, right behind just about every woman in the
world, at any rate). As for "quick to anger, quick to laugh", I'll
let the rest of you decide that. :) Maybe when they remake the movies
in 30 or 40 years...
"I also am a" Steuard Jensen

Justin Alistair Lowde

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
In article <FFxBq...@midway.uchicago.edu>, Steuard Jensen
<sbje...@midway.uchicago.edu> writes

>> (So where does that leave Steuard?)
>
>Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves,
>Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is
>forgotten, in Chicago Jensen, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go
>not.

Hee Hee :-)

But now the Iron Curtain has come down, maybe a trip East wouldn't be so
difficult? Or is it the air fare? Balrogair hasn't been flying well
recently...

Solinas

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99

O'Neill Quigley wrote:

> So Gandalf has risen from being merely one of five Istari who were sent
> to contest Sauron's will in Middle Earth to being the one who has been
> charged with stewardship of the World.
>
> On whose behalf?
>
> Surely not Eru, who is beyond the world and who gave it to the Valar to
> govern.
>
> No, for Manwe is the Elder King, the King of all the Gods, the King of
> the World.
>
> Gandalf is his Steward.
>

> M.

Gandalf ''wandered out of thought and time'', and the Valar's power is
confined in Ea. When Gandalf left Time, he went beyond the Valar's
power.

Luthien

O'Neill Quigley

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
What a learnéd bugger you are!

Justin Alistair Lowde wrote:

> In article <37A6C9F4...@indigo.ie>, O'Neill Quigley
> <o...@indigo.ie> writes

> >"For I also am a steward. Did you not know?"
> >

> >So Gandalf has risen from being merely one of five Istari who were sent
> >to contest Sauron's will in Middle Earth to being the one who has been
> >charged with stewardship of the World.
> >On whose behalf?
> >Surely not Eru, who is beyond the world and who gave it to the Valar to
> >govern.
> >No, for Manwe is the Elder King, the King of all the Gods, the King of
> >the World.
> >
> >Gandalf is his Steward.
>

> Splendidly put.

> (So where does that leave Steuard?)
>

> The phrase 'I also am a steward' reminds me curiously of Maleldil
> (Jesus) speaking to Ransom in the caves of Perelandra, where the
> frightened old professor is brought back to Ragnarok spirit by the words
> 'My name also is Ransom'.

O'Neill Quigley

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Well to quote a very learnéd colleague of mine,

"That's just *your* interpretation of the text." ;-)

M.

Solinas wrote:

> O'Neill Quigley wrote:
>

> > So Gandalf has risen from being merely one of five Istari who were sent
> > to contest Sauron's will in Middle Earth to being the one who has been
> > charged with stewardship of the World.
> >
> > On whose behalf?
> >
> > Surely not Eru, who is beyond the world and who gave it to the Valar to
> > govern.
> >
> > No, for Manwe is the Elder King, the King of all the Gods, the King of
> > the World.
> >
> > Gandalf is his Steward.

O'Neill Quigley

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Can't see him doing well in alt.flame meself... ;-)

Grey Yuen

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Hmm... probably belongs to the "The Flame is with you... but you are not an
Istari yet"
kind of observation .. 0 ; )

(yes.. Maiars shhould have halos *heh*)

--