Hobbit V Leprechaun...the similarity

Cian O Kiersey

Mar 1, 1993, 12:11:56 PM3/1/93
C> Just a quick note..
C> did any one get the impression that Hobbits were based on
Leprechauns??
C> Tolkien wrote that Hobbits were small, clever, liked stories,
C> wore bright clothes, and were very light on their feet.

C> This shows similaritues with Leprechauns...who fill the above
discription.
C> It is said that a Leprechaun could talk you into releasing
C> him if you caught one.(The gift of the gab) Didn't Bilbo
C> escape from Gollum by Talking/telling quizes???
C> Oh well mabey it's my imagination but I think it's a possibility.

C> Cian.
C> If anyone agrees(or disagrees) with me mail me at:

# coki...@unix1.tcd.ie # F O R # | #
# Life's a beach .... # # | #
# ... Then you get sand in your trunks!!! # R E G. # |___ #

Warren Burstein

Mar 3, 1993, 4:50:05 PM3/3/93
It seems to me that JRRT intended Hobbits to be the basis behind
legends of Leprechauns and other diminutive folk. They still live in
the North-West of the Old World, according to I 22.
--
/|/-\/-\ The entire kitchen Jerusalem
|__/__/_/ is a very cold carrot.
|warren@ But the Kibo
/ nysernet.org is not all that worried.

Cian O Kiersey

Mar 5, 1993, 7:47:28 AM3/5/93
In <31...@israel.nysernet.org> war...@nysernet.org (Warren Burstein) writes:

>It seems to me that JRRT intended Hobbits to be the basis behind
>legends of Leprechauns and other diminutive folk. They still live in
>the North-West of the Old World, according to I 22.

He might very well have. But did he get the idea of Hobbits from
Leprechauns?? Is there a simalarity or am I just drawing unfounded
conclusions?

Craig Presson

Mar 9, 1993, 4:31:52 PM3/9/93
coki...@unix1.tcd.ie (Cian O Kiersey) writes:

>In <31...@israel.nysernet.org> war...@nysernet.org (Warren Burstein) writes:

>>It seems to me that JRRT intended Hobbits to be the basis behind
>>legends of Leprechauns and other diminutive folk. They still live in
>>the North-West of the Old World, according to I 22.

>He might very well have. But did he get the idea of Hobbits from
>Leprechauns?? Is there a simalarity or am I just drawing unfounded
>conclusions?

I think they might be a palimpsest of various "little folk" legends,
leprechauns and brownies being well-known ones. He used the word
(spelling it "leprawn") in BoLT, "The Coming of the Valar":
"... with Aule was that great lady Palurien whose delights were
richness and fruits of the earth, for which reason has she long been
called Yavanna among the Eldar. About them fared a great host who are
the sprites of trees and woods, of dale and forest and mountain-side,
or those that sing amid the grass at morning and chant among the
standing corn at eve. These are the Nermir and the Tavari, Nandini
and Orossi, brownies, fays, pixies, leprawns, and what else are they
not called, for their number is very great: yet must they not be confused
with the Eldar, for they were born before the world and are older than
its oldest, and are not of it, ..."

-- ******************************************************
** Craig Presson cpre...@ingr.com **
** Intergraph Corporation MS GD3005 **
** Huntsville, AL 35894-0001 (205) 730-3885 **
"This tale grew in the telling ..."

Andrew Solovay

Mar 10, 1993, 3:28:17 PM3/10/93
In article <1993Mar9.2...@b11.b11.ingr.com> cr...@b11.b11.ingr.com (Craig Presson) writes:

>I think they might be a palimpsest of various "little folk" legends,
>leprechauns and brownies being well-known ones. He used the word
>(spelling it "leprawn") in BoLT, "The Coming of the Valar":
>"... with Aule was that great lady Palurien whose delights were
>richness and fruits of the earth, for which reason has she long been
>called Yavanna among the Eldar. About them fared a great host who are
>the sprites of trees and woods, of dale and forest and mountain-side,
>or those that sing amid the grass at morning and chant among the
>standing corn at eve. These are the Nermir and the Tavari, Nandini
> and Orossi, brownies, fays, pixies, leprawns, and what else are they
>not called, for their number is very great: yet must they not be confused
>with the Eldar, for they were born before the world and are older than
>its oldest, and are not of it, ..."

Perhaps the True Origin(TM) of Tom Bombadil (aka Iarwain Ben-Adar,
"Oldest and Fatherless"?)
--
Andrew Solovay

"I am the Golux, the only Golux in the world,
and not a mere Device."

Craig Presson

Mar 15, 1993, 11:50:43 AM3/15/93
sol...@netcom.com (Andrew Solovay) writes:

>In article <1993Mar9.2...@b11.b11.ingr.com> cr...@b11.b11.ingr.com (Craig Presson) writes:
>>I think they might be a palimpsest of various "little folk" legends,
>>leprechauns and brownies being well-known ones. He used the word
>>(spelling it "leprawn") in BoLT, "The Coming of the Valar":
>>"... with Aule was that great lady Palurien whose delights were
>>richness and fruits of the earth, for which reason has she long been
>>called Yavanna among the Eldar. About them fared a great host who are

>>the sprites of trees and woods, ...

>Perhaps the True Origin(TM) of Tom Bombadil (aka Iarwain Ben-Adar,
>"Oldest and Fatherless"?)

As I wrote before, this gives us a "place to hang" characters like
Tom, Goldberry, Old Man Willow, and the other nature-spirits who
show up peripherally in LoTR. It also shows that JRRT was not
pedantic about every creature having to be in one of the major
named categories.

Now, who was working on that FAQ list? ;-)

-- Craig Presson

Vos MC

Mar 18, 1993, 12:38:07 PM3/18/93

:
: As I wrote before, this gives us a "place to hang" characters like
: Tom, Goldberry, Old Man Willow, and the other nature-spirits who
: show up peripherally in LoTR. It also shows that JRRT was not
: pedantic about every creature having to be in one of the major
: named categories.

Isn't the Old Man Willow not simple a degenerated Ent? I recall
something about Fangorn saying that once the Old Forest (or what was
the name) also belonged to the Entwoods (which at that time stretched
out over a large part of Arnor). If so, it would be possible that
a cut off and degenerated kind of Ents lives there.

[It's been reeally long ago since I read LotR, so I may have things
wrong, but I've always thought it was like this. And didn't the trees
there move too sometimes?]

Great Greetings,
mcv. <><

Michael P. Colburn

Mar 18, 1993, 3:28:52 PM3/18/93
In article <C43IB...@cs.vu.nl>
mc...@cs.vu.nl (Vos MC) writes:

> Isn't the Old Man Willow not simple a degenerated Ent? I recall
> something about Fangorn saying that once the Old Forest (or what was
> the name) also belonged to the Entwoods (which at that time stretched
> out over a large part of Arnor). If so, it would be possible that
> a cut off and degenerated kind of Ents lives there.

I always considered that Old Man Willow might have been a Huorn...but
perhaps Huorns are only 'degenerated Ents'.

Mike Colburn =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dartmouth-Hitchcock "Pulu-see-ba-goomba" -- Gilligan
Medical Center =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756 :-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Alien

Mar 22, 1993, 7:02:53 PM3/22/93
>I always considered that Old Man Willow might have been a Huorn...but
>perhaps Huorns are only 'degenerated Ents'.

Huorns are either Ents that have become tree-ish or trees that have become
Ent-ish. Old Man Willow could be either (although I prefer to think of him
as a partially awake tree -after all he cannot walk)

Matt

--
Matthew Woodford Welcome watchers of illusion,
m...@uk.ac.coventry.cck To the castle of confusion,

fsj...@aurora.alaska.edu

Mar 24, 1993, 2:53:58 AM3/24/93

There is a passage where fangorn is talking to the hobbits in LOTR
when he referrs (sp?) to some of the ents having 'lost their voices'..perhaps
old man willow is one of those ents who has been idle for so long, cut off
from other ents that he had lost the 'ent way' per-se..one must consider though
whether or not he was actually 'evil' or not..I think that being in so close
a proximity to tom bombadil would prevent sny true melevolance on the part of
any creature of nature...perhaps he was just a 'crabby old man' as it were.
but in aswer to your question, yes..i think that he was an ent.

charlee.m...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2015, 7:34:42 PM8/11/15
Except Leprechauns Look demented in everything and hobbits are super sexi

Queeny Bunny

Mar 18, 2023, 11:44:51 AM3/18/23
El miércoles, 12 de agosto de 2015 a las 1:34:42 UTC+2, charlee.m...@gmail.com escribió:
> Except Leprechauns Look demented in everything and hobbits are super sexi
It's been over 30 since this thread started. I just came across it because I looked up "leprechauns and hobbits". I just thought they looked similar, but this... This is Internet history. Wow.