Silmarillion Chapter Discussion (CotW)

Christopher Kreuzer

Apr 18, 2005, 5:04:51 PM4/18/05
I'm trying to find out how many potential volunteers there are for the
upcoming (OK, August is rather a long way away, but you can never start
this sort of thing too early...) parasha-style chapter-of-the-week
discussions of /The Silmarillion/ by J.R.R. Tolkien.

By volunteers, I mean those wanting their names inscribed on a brand-new
(or maybe even the old) shiny webpage next to a chapter (you get to
write a summary of the chapter and ask the first questions and say your
bit first), or even to maintain/make that brand-new shiny webpage (you
get to call yourself Page Attendant)!

So far, I think the following people have shown interest (please correct
me if I am wrong):

Gregory Hernandez
Stan Brown
Troels Forchhammer
Aaron Clausen
Christopher Kreuzer

If you are interested in principle in being added to a list of
volunteers, please add your name to the list. This is only provisional,
so don't bother with any specific requests for chapters. That should
come later, and would be sorted out by the Page Attendant, who should
eventually get this list.

Christopher

--
---
Reply clue: Saruman welcomes you to Spamgard

aelfwina

Apr 19, 2005, 11:47:28 PM4/19/05

I'll take part. I don't know the Silm nearly so well as LotR, but that is
why I want to do this.
Barbara

nand...@transact.bm

Apr 19, 2005, 5:09:34 AM4/19/05

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
<snip>

> If you are interested in principle in being added to a list of
> volunteers, please add your name to the list. This is only
provisional,
> so don't bother with any specific requests for chapters. That should
> come later, and would be sorted out by the Page Attendant, who should
> eventually get this list.

I would probably give it a go, since the Silm has plenty of stuff in it
that I find fascinating.

Neil Anderson

Larry Swain

Apr 19, 2005, 8:51:06 AM4/19/05
Put me down, too. I mean put my name down, not offer me an insult,
although the latter might be more appropriate.

Steuard Jensen

Apr 19, 2005, 11:08:05 AM4/19/05
Quoth "Christopher Kreuzer" <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> in article
<ThV8e.15096$G8....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>:

> If you are interested in principle in being added to a list of
> volunteers, please add your name to the list.

Sadly, I still don't think I can afford to volunteer for this sort of
thing. But I'll try to at least take part in the discussion more
often this time! It's frustrating to have largely missed the
seemingly fascinating CotW discussions that have happened recently.
Grr. (Not that physics research isn't fun, too; I just hate having to
pick and choose between my interests.)

Steuard Jensen

Christopher Kreuzer

Apr 19, 2005, 3:35:31 PM4/19/05
Larry Swain <thes...@operamail.com> wrote:
> Put me down, too. I mean put my name down, not offer me an insult,
> although the latter might be more appropriate.

Oh. What shall I do with this syringe of barbiturates then?

[Sorry! Bad-taste joke...]

Christopher Kreuzer

Apr 19, 2005, 3:57:49 PM4/19/05
Steuard Jensen <sbje...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> It's frustrating to have largely missed the
> seemingly fascinating CotW discussions that have happened recently.

Nothing to stop you reading them afterwards! Using Google Groups, if you
can face trying to follow the diverging threads. In fact, it would be
good to have an objective almost-non-participant pick out the good bits.

Grondigwiller

Apr 20, 2005, 11:19:39 AM4/20/05
Yes. I would be interested in participating in this discussion. I'm a
new member of this group, but I'm writing my graduate thesis (MA
Humanities) on the Silmarillion. It would be a good exercise for me to
learn more about the topic, and your comments would be very helpful, I
suspect.

Walter Padgett

>Reply clue: Saruman welcomes you to Spamgard

PS. What's this reply clue about?

R. Dan Henry

Apr 20, 2005, 1:14:34 PM4/20/05
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:04:51 GMT, "Christopher Kreuzer"
<spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>If you are interested in principle in being added to a list of
>volunteers, please add your name to the list.

I'd like to do a chapter, sure.

Maybe "The Flight of the Noldor", so I can make cheap "Elf Wings"
jokes. :-)

R. Dan Henry
danh...@inreach.com

AC

Apr 20, 2005, 1:54:16 PM4/20/05
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:57:49 GMT,
Christopher Kreuzer <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Steuard Jensen <sbje...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>> It's frustrating to have largely missed the
>> seemingly fascinating CotW discussions that have happened recently.
>
> Nothing to stop you reading them afterwards! Using Google Groups, if you
> can face trying to follow the diverging threads. In fact, it would be
> good to have an objective almost-non-participant pick out the good bits.

I don't think the CotW threads can ever really be called done. I'm sure
that if one were to go through them, even the Hobbit, there's things to be
discussed further. I know of one point in particular out of one of my
Hobbit CotWs that I don't think I ever got an answer on. I shall post!

--
mightym...@hotmail.com

Atalante

Apr 20, 2005, 4:00:43 PM4/20/05
Me please please! Becky Hitchin :)

Christopher Kreuzer

Apr 20, 2005, 6:43:20 PM4/20/05
Grondigwiller <wpad...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> Reply clue: Saruman welcomes you to Spamgard
>
> PS. What's this reply clue about?

Replace Spamgard with the place where Saruman lives.

Christopher Kreuzer

Apr 20, 2005, 7:27:38 PM4/20/05

Hey! You _know_ that is the chapter that has versions where the the
balrogs arise in a tempest of fire and pass with _winged_ speed over
Hithlum, so no pretending you only want to do _elf_ wing jokes! :-)

Ciar?n Irvine

Apr 21, 2005, 8:59:02 AM4/21/05
"Christopher Kreuzer" <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ThV8e.15096$G8....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...

> I'm trying to find out how many potential volunteers there are for the
> upcoming (OK, August is rather a long way away, but you can never start
> this sort of thing too early...) parasha-style chapter-of-the-week
> discussions of /The Silmarillion/ by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Sign me up! Though you should probably keep me and Ciaran S' chapters
well apart to avoid confusion :-)

Morgoth's Curse

Apr 21, 2005, 9:29:47 PM4/21/05
<spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm trying to find out how many potential volunteers there are for the
>upcoming (OK, August is rather a long way away, but you can never start
>this sort of thing too early...) parasha-style chapter-of-the-week
>discussions of /The Silmarillion/ by J.R.R. Tolkien.
>
>By volunteers, I mean those wanting their names inscribed on a brand-new
>(or maybe even the old) shiny webpage next to a chapter (you get to
>write a summary of the chapter and ask the first questions and say your
>bit first), or even to maintain/make that brand-new shiny webpage (you
>get to call yourself Page Attendant)!

Morgoth's Curse hereby claims Chapter 20 ("Of the Fifth Battle") and
is prepared to do battle with any who would deny his claim. :-)

Morgoth's Curse

Flame of the West

Apr 21, 2005, 10:09:43 PM4/21/05
Morgoth's Curse wrote:

> Morgoth's Curse hereby claims Chapter 20 ("Of the Fifth Battle") and
> is prepared to do battle with any who would deny his claim. :-)

OK, please just don't leap forward with your seven wanker sons,
draw your swords, and swear a horrible oath that will haunt you
to the end of time.

-- FotW

Reality is for those who cannot cope with Middle-earth.

TT Arvind

Apr 22, 2005, 5:25:08 PM4/22/05
Wes ğu Grondigwiller hal!

> Yes. I would be interested in participating in this discussion. I'm a
> new member of this group, but I'm writing my graduate thesis (MA
> Humanities) on the Silmarillion.

Exactly what about the Sil. are you writing / planning to write on?

--
Arvind

In a single day, Samson slew a thousand Philistines with the jawbone of
an ass. Every day, thousands of sales are killed with the same weapon.

James Seibert

Apr 23, 2005, 5:27:02 PM4/23/05
You can add me to the list as well. The Silmarillion is my favorite
book of all time.

James Seibert

--
Cheers,

James

http://www.usenet.com

er...@swva.net

Apr 25, 2005, 12:02:36 PM4/25/05

Sounds great!, The Silmarillion is one of my all-time favorites and I
have read it aloud from beginning to end three times now. The only
thing is, fiddler's convention season is approaching here in
Appalachia, and I expect to be spending many days sawing on a fiddle or
plunking on a banjo for hours on end. I'll have to catch up with the
discussions in chunks here and there. Good luck and have fun, y'all!

Eric Root

Igenlode Wordsmith

Apr 25, 2005, 7:59:43 AM4/25/05
"Christopher Kreuzer" <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message <1pd9e.15700$G8.1...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>

> Steuard Jensen <sbje...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> > It's frustrating to have largely missed the
> > seemingly fascinating CotW discussions that have happened recently.
>
> Nothing to stop you reading them afterwards! Using Google Groups, if you
> can face trying to follow the diverging threads. In fact, it would be
> good to have an objective almost-non-participant pick out the good bits.

I'm still religiously saving them up 'to read later'... about six
months' worth now... o~o
--
Igenlode Visit the Ivory Tower http://curry.250x.com/Tower/

* He who loses his temper has lost the argument *

Gregory Hernandez

Apr 25, 2005, 8:33:35 PM4/25/05
And just as an aside here, does anyone own the Illustrated edition of the
Silmarillion? I just got mine over the weekend and it's friggin' BEAUTIFUL.

GRH

Graham Lockwood

Apr 26, 2005, 1:21:52 PM4/26/05
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:33:35 -0500, Gregory Hernandez wrote
(in article <z%fbe.16586$44....@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>):

> And just as an aside here, does anyone own the Illustrated edition of the
> Silmarillion? I just got mine over the weekend and it's friggin' BEAUTIFUL.

With pics by Ted Nasmith? I've got it and it is, as Tony the Tiger would say,
grrrrrreat!

---
Graham

Dr. Ernst Stavro Blofeld

Apr 26, 2005, 6:28:22 PM4/26/05
"Christopher Kreuzer" <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
<pins>

> If you are interested in principle in being added to a list of
> volunteers, please add your name to the list. This is only
> provisional,
> so don't bother with any specific requests for chapters. That should
> come later, and would be sorted out by the Page Attendant, who should
> eventually get this list.

I'll do a Silmarillion chapter, but I'd like to let someone else take
Chapter One this time, since Middle-Earth theology isn't my strong point
(hopefully the discussions will change that.)

--
Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Lord Pęlluin,) Ph.D., Count of Tolfalas

Grondigwiller

Apr 27, 2005, 7:45:13 AM4/27/05
Sorry it took so long to respond. I appreciate your question. I want
to talk about myth and ideology in Tolkien's works. I am most
specifically interested in the mythological status / flavor / sense
acquired by his writings through the structuring of the "vast
backcloths" of the Silmarillion. Also, there's another aspect of his
"mythology" arising partly out of his invention of languages, and the
necessary creation of a historical context in which they can
theoretically develop. Then I want to address the ideological
implications of the mythological nature of his works. Perhaps this
description lacks cohesion. My chief academic interest is in a
theoretical model of ideology. But my passion is the Silmarillion.
Trying to combine these two has been the enigmatic goal of my master's
thesis work.

Christopher Kreuzer

Apr 27, 2005, 3:08:12 PM4/27/05

The Ainulindale should be one of the more interesting discussions! Or
maybe you mean 'Of the Beginning of Days'? There are also a few
potential issues to sort out about the scheduling. Mainly the fact that
there are two very short chapters of 2 and 3 pages each. Plus the fact
that there are several very long chapters and sections (particularly the
last two sections). It might be an idea to allow more than a week for
some discussions. There was also the idea of building planned breaks
into the discussions.

Just something to think about as the current discussions meander through
the Appendices to /The Lord of the Rings/.