How did Mr Brown die?

Jan Glenn

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96

This is probably a stupid question, but I've only seen Reservoir Dogs twice
and I can't figure it out. Mr White says the cops shot him, but they didn't
even get out of the car before they were shot themselves. Or alternatively, if
he had already been shot by some other cops, why is he still able to drive?
Can anyone help me?

Ian Hector

Jason A Forrest

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Jan Glenn (nz...@midland.co.nz) wrote:

: This is probably a stupid question, but I've only seen Reservoir Dogs twice

Brown was shot in the head at some point briefly before he crashes the
car. You can see the bullet hole in his head. It took him a few seconds,
or maybe even a minute or so to finally die, which is reasonable.

Jason Forrest
afn2...@freenet.ufl.edu
aa...@ccn.cs.dal.ca
http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/~aa114/Profile.html

William Wright

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
In <4kjvop$6...@midland.co.nz> nz...@midland.co.nz (Jan Glenn) writes:

>This is probably a stupid question, but I've only seen Reservoir Dogs
twice
>and I can't figure it out. Mr White says the cops shot him, but they
didn't
>even get out of the car before they were shot themselves. Or
alternatively, if
>he had already been shot by some other cops, why is he still able to
drive?
>Can anyone help me?
>
>Ian Hector

Brown got shot in the head by a cop when leaving the diamond store
but didn't die instantly. When he said he was going blind, and Orange
was trying to convince him that he simply had blood in his eyes, he was
actually starting to die. When it cut back to him, he had already died.

-Zack Wright
Drex...@aol.com

icyo...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2014, 4:22:21 PM1/6/14
On Thursday, April 11, 1996 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Jan Glenn wrote:
> This is probably a stupid question, but I've only seen Reservoir Dogs twice
> and I can't figure it out. Mr White says the cops shot him, but they didn't
> even get out of the car before they were shot themselves. Or alternatively, if
> he had already been shot by some other cops, why is he still able to drive?
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Ian Hector

well i lerant about it in drama today the 6th jan 2014 and he lived in a old horrible house with mice and rats but miss did not tell me how he died it is to be investigated

icyo...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2014, 4:23:59 PM1/6/14
he got shot thats what my teacher told me

icyo...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2014, 4:25:33 PM1/6/14
could anyone help me? i need to know how mr brown died any ideas?

raz...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2014, 4:32:21 AM3/23/14
On Thursday, April 11, 1996 3:00:00 PM UTC+8, Jan Glenn wrote:
> This is probably a stupid question, but I've only seen Reservoir Dogs twice
> and I can't figure it out. Mr White says the cops shot him, but they didn't
> even get out of the car before they were shot themselves. Or alternatively, if
> he had already been shot by some other cops, why is he still able to drive?
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Ian Hector

I read a collection of essays on the morality of Tarantino, and I remember pooh-poohing one of the writers because he'd overlooked this point.

I'm pretty convinced: Orange revenge executes Brown. I know Tarantino doesn't make this directly evident, but the circumstantial evidence is strong, and may well have been a directoral/editing decision on the part of Tarantino to let us infer this:

[note: on my system, the sequence in which Brown dies is from 1:24:50 to 1:26:25]

o It appears that Brown was merely grazed, and
his wound was very unlikely to be mortal.
The human body can take quite a bit of abuse
and survive. Brown does appear to be, perhaps,
a bit "groggy", but he doesn't appear to be
on the verge of shock or fainting.

o Orange reassures Brown that he's not blind,
just blinded by blood in his eyes. If Brown's
situation had been more dire, Orange's words
would surely have been different.

o White proceeds to waste the cops.

o Orange looks on, with emotional pain plainly
showing on his face; he is, after all, watching
on as brother officers are being wasted.

o Brown is dead(?). White has to drag Orange away
from the car. Orange is speechless, appearing to
be in a heightened state of stunned disillusion-
ment. This makes sense in a context in which he
has just behaved in a manner unbecoming a law
enforcement professional.

o If Orange had made the snap decision to get a
modicum of vengeance for the grizzly deaths
of two brother officers, he could have done
it in a split second--a split second that
Tarantino chooses to let the viewers compose
in their heads.

o A scenario in which Orange kills Brown
contributes to the effect that Tarantino
was surely seeking to achieve; to convince
us that the events following the abortive
robbery were akin to events in the heat of
wartime battle; which are notorious for
their chaotic, unpredictable nature.

Points against:

o When we see Brown "dead", there is no physical
evidence of an additional bullet. (If Orange had
killed him, did he pull Brown's jacket aside,
nail him with a chest shot to the heart, then
cover the entry wound with the jacket, so White
wouldn't see it?)

o Actually, if we're going to speculate that
Orange may have killed Brown, circumstances
could just as easily be construed to allow
that Brown *isn't* dead; that he just fainted.
Yes, the guys in the meeting place say that
Brown "got tagged" and was killed, but they
could be wrong.

I'm a personal partisan of the view that Orange kills Brown.